Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Car buying question...

I am getting the feeling that car dealerships are reluctant to try to find the exact make and model you ask about if they don't have it in their lot.

Do they make less profit when they find it at a nearby dealer, or order it for you from the factory, so to speak?

I 'get' that it would be easier and maybe better for them to "move" merchandise they already have sitting around, but if it's not precisely what I want, why should I buy it?

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 3604/11/2013

If they don't have the car you want, they go to an auction to find it.

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 104/09/2013

An auction for a brand new car? Wouldn't they just call their national HQ?

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 204/09/2013

What I mean is, it seems like a no-brainer that they'd rather sell you one of the existing cars in their inventory if at all possible. And that they they will try to talk you into changing your mind to accomplish this.

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 304/09/2013

The dealers are given incentives to sell off their lot. If you cannot find it at your local dealer, you should check on the manufacturers site to be find the vehicle you want. Give the VIN to the dealer and ask them to get it for you. They will tell you they cannot offer as good of a deal on the car, that is usually bullshit.

The other thing to do is look for smaller dealers that are more interested in making a deal. Dealers in big cities know if you don't buy it, the next person will.

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 404/09/2013

I bought a new car a couple of years ago. Theye didn't have the one I wanted in stock. But they called another dealer in another state and "swapped" a car. I had it within the week.

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 504/09/2013

That's been my experience in the past, r5, but this time they seem to want to talk me into considering other options (and i can't help notice those options are sitting there on the lot)...

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 604/09/2013

[quote] Do they make less profit when they find it at a nearby dealer, or order it for you from the factory, so to speak?

The lower the price of the car, the smaller the profit margin. So that might be part of it.

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 704/09/2013

No that's not it. Unless you consider $50,000 inexpensive.

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 804/09/2013

I imagine they have to compensate the other dealer somehow.

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 904/09/2013

If you want exactly the car you want and you don't want some slack-jawed nitwit driving the hell out of it on a dealer swap, order your car and be prepared to wait a few months.

I have done this twice (foreign-made cars) and, in my opinion, custom ordering is worth the wait.

I'll do it again when the time comes.

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 1004/09/2013

But you have to do it through a dealer, right, r10?

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 1104/09/2013

Yes, and they will want a deposit to ensure that you accept the car you ordered when it comes in.

In my case, Audi wanted $1K when I placed my order 2/12 and it was applied to the amount due when it was washed and cleaned up for me to to pick up on 5/1.

I must say, it was kinda nice to have my car in the spot of honor (the big round concrete pad in front of the dealership) when I drove up.

It was gleaming in the sunshine and it was EXACTLY as I wanted it configured.

Number of miles on the clock -- only 12.

(I had told them I would not accept delivery if there were more than 15 miles on the odometer; this was written and I initialed on the order form.)

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 1204/09/2013

Dealers are compensated primarily by pushing the inventory they have on their lot. That is why you see many ads with fine print stating "discounts apply only to dealer inventory." Many times, if they have to source from another dealer, they will adjust the discount they provide to you. The best bet is to search on the manufacturer site, find the car you want and deal with that dealer directly. You will save quite a bit of money, even if you have to go out of your way to get there.

For types of dealers, you need to go to huge volume dealers in big markets OR to low volume dealers in the boondocks that are more desperate to make a deal. Stay away from low volume dealers in big cities that have shit inventory - their ability to make a good deal is minimal at best.

Use Edmonds.com to get a true market value and make sure to see if your company participates in any volume discounts like x-plan, etc.

Cars are my addiction and usually buy 1 or 2 per year. I always follow those rules.

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 1304/09/2013

thanks all!

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 1404/09/2013

R12, did you pay full MSRP? Just curious.

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 1504/09/2013

No, we dickered for the sales price, r15.

And to correct myself:

I just looked at my bill of sale in my filing cabinet, and I paid my dealership a $2.5K deposit on a $56K car that would have been non-refundable had I refused delivery after custom ordering it.

This is fair enough. Quid pro quo.

And the reason for the mileage qualifier we both agreed to (less than 20) is because I did not want them to subsequently find a car matching my exact requirements but at another dealership where it had been perhaps been used for test drives (i.e., driven like a rented mule) and/or driven to my dealership by the office manager's worthless son or alky father-in-law.

As I say, I'll custom order again because I drive my cars a LONG time and I have plenty of time to decide exactly what I want. As an adult I have only owned two cars, both ordered.

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 1604/09/2013

My good friend just bought an Audi about 6 months ago. He loves that freakin car. He has the sports version but I dont know exactly what kind.

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 1704/09/2013

Interesting, OP.

My relative wanted a model that the local dealership apparently did not have. They didn't seem too interested in getting it for her, either.

No "let me call around and see where there might be one" or "we can order that for you no problem", nothing.

She ended up driving 2 states away for the exact SUV she wanted. Color and all.

The dealership salesman in the other state even asked if they could pick her up at the airport!

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 1804/09/2013

R12, do you have that super-duper Audi that parks itself??

Omg! I just saw a video of the freaking car!!,

The lady gets off and the car *drives itself* to the garage and parks!!!!

Then she calls it back,

That's kind of freaky.

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 1904/09/2013

Ha, ha! No, r19.

Audi didn't offer that technology when mine was made.

I've said I drive cars a LONG time and have only owned two cars as adult.

My Audi will be 13-years-old on 5/1.

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 2004/09/2013

Weird, r18. I always thought any local dealer would be happy to get the car a buyer wanted (whether by trade or ordering), but my impression is that they would MUCH rather just steer you to one they already have. Which is irritating if you only want a certain model, make and package.

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 2104/10/2013

A friend just bought a 2013 Camaro. The local dealer said he would get him a different one if the one he wanted was not on the lot, but it never came to that. I was leery of him having to pay broker fees one from somewhere else.

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 2204/10/2013

Just bought a new car. My last one was a 2000. When looking for a car the last time, I knew what I wanted and was offered by several dealers to look around for exactly what I wanted. This time around, nothing at any of the dealerships I visited. Of course, the problem I found was that cars are several inches wider, in general, them they used to be and the car I wanted was too wide for a side by side in the garage with my upstairs neighbor. That said, I did get a good deal on a car since I wanted a red one (I didn't wanted the standard black, silver, white). Well, it seems as though there were exactly five red ones in all of Northern California so the dealer's GM wanted the one they had moved out of inventory. I got a 20% discount off the MSRP, which was a solid offer. I didn't get the wood inlays I wanted but did get the navigation package that wasn't something that interested me but I did save $7000 and am now driving a new Infiniti G37!!!

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 2304/10/2013

Just bought a new car 2 weeks ago. I narrowed my choice down to 2, 1 of which didn't have all of the options I wanted. They offered to find what I wanted at another dealer and I went with that.

I changed my mind to the other car on the lot before we signed and ended getting a better deal. The salesman told me that they prefer to sell off of the lot as they have to pay someone to go get the other car and drive it back. He said they pass this cost along to the buyer.

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 2404/10/2013

What about ordering one specifically from 'the factory'?

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 2504/10/2013

Audi offered to let me go watch my car being made 13 years ago.

It was an extra I didn't want to pay for; couldn't have gotten the time off back then even had I wanted to.

I have no idea if they still offer that program.

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 2604/10/2013

Sorry, r25, I failed to answer your question.

To my knowledge, you cannot order directly from any car manufacturer. You have to use a dealer in their network, just has you have to use a dealer (except in rare instances) for warranty repairs.

No calling Ford in Dearborn and making an order and no taking it back to Dearborn for repairs.

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 2704/10/2013

I bought a car through Costco. You call Costco and tell them the brand ( s ) you are interested in. You can call the readership or they call you. I told the dealership and got exactly what I wanted.

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 2804/10/2013

Wish I could do that. But I live in flyover country surrounded by 4 Walmarts and 0 Costcos...

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 2904/10/2013

If you want a new Audi with specific options outside of CA or NYC or some urban area, you are going to have to order it. For that matter outside of those areas Audi dealers don't generally have a large stock on site anyway. My brother ordered an S4 loaded and was treated like a king. It had to be ordered though, no dealership in the US had what he wanted in stock.

I'd bet the same is true for Mercedes and BMW except we have a large BMW dealership here with a huge inventory.

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 3004/10/2013

OP has never worked in sales.

ALL sales departments give bonuses for moving the crap products.

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 3104/10/2013

I get it, and no I have not (nor would I want to) worked in sales.

But my point is there will be NO sale, if they can't produce the exact car I request, and so efforts to change my mind and sell me a different car are most irritating.

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 3204/10/2013

[quote]I got a 20% discount off the MSRP, which was a solid offer.

No, actually it was a ridiculously awesome offer, one you got only because Infiniti is desperate to get rid of its remaining G37 stock since they're eliminating all of their "lettered" lines in favor of Q. (The G37 replacement, now called the Q50, goes on sale this summer.)

[quote]I'd bet the same is true for Mercedes and BMW except we have a large BMW dealership here with a huge inventory.

You can order BMWs, too. Even though my city has several large dealerships, they don't carry many models these days with manual transmissions, so I've ordered my last two cars direct from Germany. It's good particularly since the dealerships tend to lard on the option packages, particularly the odious iDrive nav system. One thing BMW offers that I don't think Audi does is overseas delivery, which automatically knocks 7% off the MSRP. You can pick it up at the factory, drive it around Europe for a week or two, then drop it off at the dock and fly home. The savings on my last car paid for much of a trip through Croatia and old Bohemia!

Unfortunately the newest BMWs are getting all kinds of criticism, from clumsy stop/start systems to decreased steering sensitivity to even a *fake* exhaust note piped inside their M5! I'm 95% certain I'm switching to Audi for my next car, specifically the upcoming Audi S3.

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 3304/10/2013

Man.

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 3404/11/2013

For r33 ---

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 3504/11/2013

More info about European Delivery Programs.

To my knowledge no Asian manufacturer offer similar programs for factory delivery.

And to my knowledge, ordering a car from an Asian manufacturer is next to impossible.

by yes, op of the other recent car thread...reply 3604/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.