Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

President of Malawi says Madonna "just came unannounced... and made poor people dance for her"

Last Monday, Madonna arrived in Malawi a VIP. Last Saturday, she left the country with her VIP status revoked.

She and the first female president of Malawi are having a real bitch-off.

The Madonna camp's version of events is that the singer flew to the country last week to check in on some projects she had helped fund through her charity, Raising Malawi. She went to some classrooms her foundation had helped build. She visited a hospital and some orphanages. Before she left, she scrawled out a bizarre handwritten note (on her bright yellow personal stationery) to Malawi President Joyce Banda, in which she:

*Casually addressed the president as "Joyce"

*Misspelled the word "responsibility"

*Said it "would be great" to meet if Joyce had time

Joyce, it seems, did not have time.

When Madonna arrived at the airport to fly home on Saturday, her VIP traveler status, the Telegraph reports, had been revoked. By official directive.

That sneaky Joyce.

Now, VIP service at Malawi's international airport isn't anything crazy. It would have let Madonna bypass check-in and security lines. It would have provided limo service to her private jet. It would have granted her access to a special lounge where other VIPs would have pretended not to notice she was Madonna. If you're Madonna, this is the bare minimum of VIP service. This is the complimentary cheddar bay biscuit basket of star treatment. The point is she'd had it on every previous trip, and now all of a sudden, it was gone.

After U-IP Madonna had flown away on her private plane into a distinctly non-important sunset, President Banda wasted no time launching a volley of criticisms against the trip. She complained to a journalist that Malawi officials hadn't been notified of Madonna's visit. She implied that the popstar was taking advantage of ordinary citizens:

"She just came unannounced and proceeded to villages and made poor people dance for her. And immigration officials opened the VIP lounge for her just because previously she enjoyed the VIP status."

Trevor Neilson, Madonna's philanthropic advisor, accused Banda of being influenced by a "grudge" her sister Anjimile Oponyo holds against his client, who fired Oponyo from her position as head of Raising Malawi a couple years ago on suspicion of theft. (A report by Neilson's Global Philanthropy Group consulting firm placed much of the blame for Raising Malawi's failure to construct a girls' school, after receiving $3.8 million in funds to get started, on Oponyo, who is alleged to have mismanaged funds for personal gain. At the time, Malawi officials blamed Madonna for failing to provide the $15 million she promised.)

President Banda has previously said that she cannot bar Madonna from visiting Malawi because "Malawi is a free nation."

Which isn't exactly a "You're welcome any time!" kind of salutation

by Anonymousreply 10311/07/2013

She only ever did this because it seemed to be the in th thing, what with all the attention Angelina was getting.

by Anonymousreply 104/09/2013

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

by Anonymousreply 204/09/2013

What a snarky thing to do. Seems like the Nubian sistah thang is in the DNA. What if someone had attacked Madonna or something in the airport?

Come together in every nation and depose Joyce!

by Anonymousreply 304/09/2013

I have good feelings about this thread.

Let's rip Madge apart, girls!

by Anonymousreply 404/09/2013

Express your self!!

by Anonymousreply 504/09/2013

Another clear sign of Grandmadonna's freefall into irrelevance.

BOOM

BITCH

BYE

by Anonymousreply 604/09/2013

Was she shopping for another child?

by Anonymousreply 704/09/2013

The actual note.

by Anonymousreply 804/09/2013

Or another boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 904/09/2013

Full letter.

by Anonymousreply 1004/09/2013

[quote]What a snarky thing to do. Seems like the Nubian sistah thang is in the DNA. What if someone had attacked Madonna or something in the airport?

That was the whole idea. There would have been rejoicing in the streets!

by Anonymousreply 1104/09/2013

Does the Darfur Orphan care to comment?

by Anonymousreply 1204/09/2013

Where's madbot?

by Anonymousreply 1304/09/2013

Oh, the Madbot will arrive soon, armed with useless Chart Stats.

by Anonymousreply 1404/09/2013

Would dancing rich people have been preferable?

by Anonymousreply 1504/09/2013

[quote]Would dancing rich people have been preferable?

I've been told our asses tend to be better.

Namaste

by Anonymousreply 1704/09/2013

Does Goopy ever mention her mother? I don't see pictures of them together much at all.

by Anonymousreply 1804/09/2013

"... and made poor people dance for her"

We know that feeling very well.

by Anonymousreply 1904/09/2013

Why are you asking about Gwyneth Paltrow's relationship with her mother on a thread about Madonna and Malawi?

by Anonymousreply 2004/09/2013

What frau-ish stationary. You can take the Italian trash out of the Michigan suburbs...

by Anonymousreply 2104/09/2013

While overly familiar ("Joyce"?) her note was very gracious and respectful. I have a hard time criticizing her for it. At least SOMEONE pretends to give a damn about that 3rd world shithole.

by Anonymousreply 2204/09/2013

If Madonna did not exist, we would have to invent her.

by Anonymousreply 2304/09/2013

[quote]her note was very gracious and respectful.

No, it was absolutely not.

Besides addressing her by her first name, you do not hand-write a note to the president of an entire nation with representation in the United Nations asking her to meet with you "if you have time in your busy schedule" and not even check it for spelling.

You have it typed formally, you address her formally by her title, and you have it checked for spelling. That's showing respect not just to the woman herself, but also to the Malawian people who have elected this woman to their highest office.

by Anonymousreply 2404/09/2013

Madonna is a right old cunt, far too past her sell by date.

by Anonymousreply 2604/09/2013

Madonna's over-inflated sense of self-importance never ceases to amaze me. Why is anyone surprised that the cunt would show up in Malawi and expect the entire country to stop what they are doing and accommodate her. The note on her cheesy Madonna stationery is so tacky and disrespectful... I am completely behind the President of Malawi on this one. Someone please lock Madge up in a nursing home and throw away the key!

by Anonymousreply 2804/09/2013

[quote]No respect-worthy president would do such a petty thing.

Any duly elected president of an entire nation is a respect-worthy president.

The end.

by Anonymousreply 2904/09/2013

[quote]Malawi is such a poor country I think it was very irresponsible of her not to make time for Madonna.

So you're saying that poor nations should bow and scrape before wealthy pop stars because they might give them money.

by Anonymousreply 3004/09/2013

Can someone please explain to me what we are supposed to be hating Madonna about in regards to this?

All I get is that her charity was in bad hands in the beginning, she fired the handler (the prez' sister) and now things seem to be working out for the children of Malawi. Is this the reason? Is it the note?

I'm lost on this one.

by Anonymousreply 3104/09/2013

Angelina likes to swoop in from the clouds like a white goddess too, but her rehearsed look of earnest concern will trump Madge's unconcealable smirk in any third world venue.

by Anonymousreply 3204/09/2013

[quote]Can someone please explain to me what we are supposed to be hating Madonna about in regards to this?

Same reason as always: she's a nasty cunt.

It's just that this time it's on an international level.

by Anonymousreply 3404/09/2013

"working out for the better for the children of Malawi"???

Let me get this straight. You actually think Madge has[italic]actually[/italic] significantly changed the lives of the children of Malawi?

She only gave the country a few classrooms. She didn't even give them an entire school, for God's sakes.

by Anonymousreply 3504/09/2013

Madonna wrote that if the president could think of any projects she would be happy to help. That sounds pretty gracious and generous to me.

by Anonymousreply 3604/09/2013

Well Madonna comes off both as kind and an idiot. You don't address a president in such a manner. Period. It's extremely disrespectful.

Barely legible. Handwritten. Taking no respectful notice of station. Not pre-arranged.

Good thing Joyce acted as she did or peopel would think less of her.

by Anonymousreply 3704/09/2013

[quote]And Madonna didn't "force" anyone anywhere to dance for her. Get real.

The President didn't mean that literally, you dope. She meant that the people of Malawi should not be expected to drop everything and do Madge's bidding just because she decides to visit unannounced.

by Anonymousreply 3804/09/2013

She won't forget who REALLY is the star here.

by Anonymousreply 3904/09/2013

I love it that she thinks she's some grand lady of the world and not the world's most famous stripper who co-signed on a few pop songs.

by Anonymousreply 4004/09/2013

I don't like Madonna but I don't like Joyce even more. I bet she's a bigger cunt that Cheryl.

by Anonymousreply 4104/09/2013

All I'm getting from this article is that she stopped in to check on how her charity was doing.

Is there something sinister here that I am missing out on?

by Anonymousreply 4304/09/2013

What's with the chewed up stationery? That's what paper would look like after my gerbil got a hold of it.

by Anonymousreply 4404/09/2013

No, R42. You are so wrong. What a laugh! It is beneath dignified to respond to such a request, if it even made it to a president while the person was visiting. The elected official is purportedly busy with affairs of state.

It goes to show how inflated Madonna's sense of self is. So you adopted a couple of their kids and threw a token amount of money their way? That doesn't make you personal chums with its ruler.

by Anonymousreply 4504/09/2013

The difference between Angelina and Madonna is that Angelina actually give away millions every year to well established charities so that the countries she cares about actually get proper help. Madonna set up a vanity project, contributed almost nothing and let her Kaballah group rip off almost all the money along with Banda's sister. If she cared about Malawi, she'd work with reputable charities and stop using Malawians as Instagram props.

by Anonymousreply 4604/10/2013

Oh no! Poor old Vadge actually had to go through airport security like everyone else! *gasp*

This woman is so out of touch its sad. And that tacky letter she wrote looks like she wrote it really quick on a napkin. Very disrespectful for her to call the president of a country by their first name. No class at all.

by Anonymousreply 4704/10/2013

After seeing the childish handwriting and spelling errors in the letter at R10, I can tell that Detroit schools must have been terrible even back in the 60's and 70's.

by Anonymousreply 4804/10/2013

The madbots are here!!

by Anonymousreply 4904/10/2013

Wow, that note is embarrassing. It looks like Madge ripped a page out of a notebook and scribbled an impromptu note using some Malawi child's back as her desk.

How stupid do you have to be to address the president of a country by her first name?! Replace "Joyce" with "Barak" to see how moronically insulting that letter is.

She didn't even sign the letter. Her printed name is there instead.

by Anonymousreply 5004/10/2013

African people's problems.

by Anonymousreply 5104/10/2013

That letter is borderline illiterate and the subtext reveals quite a sociopath:

[quote]What an honor and what a huge responsability (sic)!

(However will someone of your limited abilities be able to lead a sovereign nation?)

[quote][I] have very fond memories of when we met and spoke and we interviewed you for documentary (sic)

(We met and spoke and and and how do I make this about me, I'm bored talking about you and too busy to put a possessive determiner in front of 'documentary')

[quote]as (sic, forgot to capitalize) you know I am in Malawi for the week.

(Because, while you may be President of the nation, I outrank you and must be on your mind more than other matters of the nation.)

[quote]If you have anytime (sic)

(Oh, dear. I never really mastered this language thing)

[quote]If not just know that I am here to be of service...

(Because I'm too important for commas, and I never 'serve', I 'be of service')

[quote]If there is a project you can think of...

(Yes, it's your duty, not mine.)

[quote]...that we can join efforts on let me know.

(Because 'join efforts' means me taking credit for your work, and again, I'm too fucking busy for commas.)

[quote]Best of luck to you!

(Because nothing says deference to presidential leadership like wishing that leader 'good luck' - as in 'you'll need it'. That's what the republicans wished for America after Obama was reelected, after all.)

She's lucky she only got her VIP status revoked, and wasn't barred from entry. Team President Banda.

by Anonymousreply 5204/10/2013

Madonna is such a fucking cunt!

"Madonna Remains Deeply Committed to the Children of Malawi

There have been many reports regarding Madonna's recent visit to Malawi. Some of these reports include inaccurate information and accusations by the Malawian Government on Madonna's character and the work of her foundation Raising Malawi. Despite the accusations, Madonna and her organization Raising Malawi remains committed to the health and education of the children of Malawi.

"I was very happy to visit with the children of Malawi earlier this month and to see with my own eyes the ten new primary schools in Kasungu province that Raising Malawi and buildOn completed this past year. These schools are now educating more than 4,800 children with girls attending in equal numbers. These children who were formerly learning outside on the ground, in unsafe buildings or not at all, now get to attend classes on a daily basis. My children and I were overjoyed to visit these schools and see what amazing progress has been made. I will continue to follow through on my commitment to help educate the children of Malawi. I'm saddened that Malawi's President Joyce Banda has chosen to release lies about what we've accomplished, my intentions, how I personally conducted myself while visiting Malawi and other untruths. I have no intentions of being distracted by these ridiculous allegations. I came to Malawi seven years ago with honorable intentions. I returned earlier this month to view the new schools we built. I did not ever ask or demand speial treatment at the airport or elsewhere during my visit. I will not be distracted or discouraged by other people's political agendas. I made a promise to the children of Malawi and I am keeping that promise" commented Madonna.

Madonna originally planned on building a Girls Academy in the impoverished country but realized that a more sustainable model would be to build smaller schools in villages around the country with buildOn who have had 20 years of success building schools in Africa. The original team that Raising Malawi first put in place included Anjimile Oponyo, the sister of Malawi's current President Joyce Banda. Due to major organizational problems that occurred during that time, the original team was disbanded. President Banda has since appointed her sister to a senior post within the Ministry of Education. Madonna's decision to change course on her education projects has subsequently been met by deep resistance from Oponyo, the President, and the Ministry of Education. But Madonna is not letting politics stand in the way of her deep commitment to help build schools there and educate as many children as possible.

In addition to the school projects, Raising Malawi has spent millions of dollars in Malawi to support orphans and vulnerable children through multiple community-based organizations. This includes Home of Hope which supported 595 beneficiaries including orphans, vulnerable children and their caregivers in 2012 alone. Raising Malawi also supports Dr. Eric Borgstein, one of three pediatric surgeons in Malawi. Dr. Borgstein performed more than 500 surgeries in 2012 alone and he sees thousands of children each year."

by Anonymousreply 5304/11/2013

So when she says she is visiting 'the children of Malawi', is she visiting every single child? Or is that her way of infantilizing the population, like so many racist colonialists in the guise of charity before her?

by Anonymousreply 5404/11/2013

Receiving a handwritten note from a celebrity is better than typewritten because:

1) it shows the star actually wrote it (not an assistant)

2) it has historical value (correspondence like this is usually archived for historical purposes, displayed decades later in museums, published in books, used to document the life of politicians, etc). Madonna is not just a random person.

by Anonymousreply 5504/11/2013

Fuck that, R55!

The Prez and her sister are going to put that note up on eBay.

by Anonymousreply 5604/11/2013

I'm on Team Madonna here. She's known Joyce for a while, so she can get away with calling her "Joyce." She was respectful and trying to be helpful in her letter. And perhaps she didn't have a computer and printer at the ready, which is why the letter is hand-written? Bunda's response was really uncalled for.

by Anonymousreply 5704/11/2013

Joyce is appalled. She could outdance this "Madonna" any day.

by Anonymousreply 5804/11/2013

Madonna is right here.

Whether you want to publicly (anonymously) agree or not: it's Malawi.

That's like saying Madonna wrote a handwritten note to the Town Manager or Head Selectman of Franklin, Massachusetts, population 8,000.

That's the equivalency of the budgets.

So, like the townie, Banda should be "dancing" too.

by Anonymousreply 5904/11/2013

Why would you compare Malawi to a small town of 8,000 people, and use 'budgets'?

Malawi is a country of 15 million people. Regardless of the amount of money she has her hands on, Banda is responsible for as many people as the countries of Guatemala, Ecuador and Kazakhstan...and is more populated than Cuba, Greece or Belgium.

by Anonymousreply 6004/11/2013

agree with r60 here. Since when is the elected President of a world nation comparable to the Town Manager of East Cupcake, USA? Malawi may be small in size and dirt poor, but Banda is officially a "world leader" in the full sense of the word and has every right to be duly reconized and communicated with as such.

Madonna is an ass. She got what she originally wanted from there (her two adopted kids) why keep going back to make more drama?

by Anonymousreply 6104/11/2013

Madonna wants to reinvent herself as a humanitarian, hence all the Malawi business. But so far she's been falling flat on her face in her efforts to portray herself as the savior of Africans.

Her "girl's school" never happened because the charity that was supposed to finance it was so corrupt and badly managed. The money just kind of disappeared and nothing came of it. And she says she's created "ten schools" in Malawi? When did THAT happen? What the fuck is she talking about?

And of course she bought those two African children, was allowed to bypass the adoption laws in that country and just snatch them up. Those kids are just part of the image she wants to create of a selfless, dedicated Madonna who really, really does care about poor people, poor people in Africa of course, because Africa is THE place in the world where the charitable actions of celebrities get the most press.

No doubt Madonna wanted to make the poor people dance because it would be a great photo-op. She of course would have joined in, and it would be a very fine PR moment: Madonna dancing with the poor people of Africa.

by Anonymousreply 6204/11/2013

Hell, R62, she's gotta inhale life force from somewhere

by Anonymousreply 6304/11/2013

[quote]Madonna originally planned on building a Girls Academy in the impoverished country but realized that a more sustainable model would be to build smaller schools in villages around the country.

Good idea. I spent some time visiting schools in a number of African nations. The idea to have smaller schools can reach more children than a faux posh academy for young ladies.

Some of the best schools that I saw were in orphanages. They were supported by people in Scandinavian countries. The orphans slept in rooms with real glass windows in the window openings, solid doors, and a solid roof over their heads, unlike the huts in their home villages. They had electricity, running water, and good food, grown right on the orphanage properties. The teachers had gone to Europe for their university degrees and returned to teach their people.

by Anonymousreply 6404/11/2013

Stop making sense, r64. Where's the hate? Where's the vitriol? Are you lost?

by Anonymousreply 6504/11/2013

[quote]No doubt Madonna wanted to make the poor people dance because it would be a great photo-op. She of course would have joined in, and it would be a very fine PR moment: Madonna dancing with the poor people of Africa.

{{Sigh}} R62, please see R38.

by Anonymousreply 6604/11/2013

Except, the President of Malawi never said any such things about Madonna - instead, this statement was released by her "office" without her knowing about it, and she is furious at it!

Malawi's President Joyce Banda was "incandescent with anger" over a statement labelling US singer Madonna a bully, the BBC has learnt.

She was unaware of the harshly-critical statement that was issued by her office following Madonna's recent visit to the country, senior officials have said.

The statement accused Madonna of exaggerating her contribution to the country and demanding VIP treatment.

Madonna, who was visiting her charity in Malawi, hit back at the criticisms.

She described them as lies and said she began her involvement in Malawi seven years ago "with honourable intentions".

'Red carpet' A well-placed source told the BBC that President Banda was "incandescent with anger" when she heard about the statement, and a senior official has confirmed she knew nothing about it.

Although President Joyce Banda was unaware of the statement, she is not expected to apologise for it The statement, issued on Wednesday, accused the star of wanting Malawi "to be forever chained to the obligation of gratitude".

It claimed Madonna believed the government should have "rolled out a red carpet and blast the 21-gun salute" upon her arrival in Malawi.

"Granted, Madonna is a famed international musician. But that does not impose an injunction of obligation on any government... to give her state treatment. Such treatment, even if she deserved it, is discretionary not obligatory," the statement said.

And, in reference to a row over whether she is building schools or classrooms, it said she "needs to learn as a matter of urgency... the decency of telling the truth".

Emily Banda, head of Malawi's NGO board, said that although President Banda "did not approve" or indeed know about the statement, there would be no apology for the mistake.

Some of the criticism of Madonna's charity work was justified, she said.

War of words Madonna, who has adopted two children from Malawi, originally planned to build an $15m (£9.9m) girls' academy.

But two years ago she closed down the Malawian office of her charity Raising Malawi, which was headed by President Joyce Banda's sister, Anjimile Mtila-Oponyo - who now works at the education ministry - and opted to fund 10 schools instead.

Earlier this month, Malawi's education minister Eunice Kazembe said Madonna was building classrooms, not entire schools, in the country.

"She has built classrooms at existing schools... really it's a difference in terminology," the minister said.

Trevor Neilson, who is now managing Raising Malawi projects, said $400,000 had been spent on building the 10 school blocks allowing some 4,000 children, who had been learning under trees, to be taught in classrooms.

On Thursday, Raising Malawi put out a statement saying that Madonna "did not ever ask or demand special treatment at the airport or elsewhere" during her visit.

She said she saw "with my own eyes the 10 new primary schools in Kasungu province that Raising Malawi... completed this year".

"Madonna is not letting politics stand in the way of her deep commitment to help build schools there and educate as many children as possible," the statement also said.

by Anonymousreply 6704/12/2013

She's obviously trying to steal KT Perry's recent 'charitable' thunder.

by Anonymousreply 6804/12/2013

Joyce Banda is shady as fuck. Or at least her office is. I'm glad the BBC is reporting on this latest development. Now I wonder whether this latest turn will be reported on as widely as the initial brouhaha. I'm guessing not, since it vindicates Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 6904/12/2013

Madonna should go into the jungle with her back-up dancers, catch Koni, and bring him to justice. [italic]That[/italic] would teach all you naysayers a thing or two!

by Anonymousreply 7004/12/2013

I didn't realize that Malawi was so rich in resources and GDP that they could afford to turn away wealthy patrons who have worked for years to bring attention to their plight.

by Anonymousreply 7104/12/2013

Madonna's charity was investigated by the FBI TWICE! They investigated the Kabbalah Center, which was embezzling the money. Madonna just droppd the Kabbalah Center from the charity yesterday.

Madonna stole children from the country. She thinks she runs the place. Even her brother said that she did this all for publicity, just as when she made them record her flopping around on her mother's grave for her documentary, and tried to get him to do the same thing. She's a sociopath, and a narcissist. Her ancient fem queens who worship her, and still live through her, are the absolute worst! I see them walking around with red string on their wrists too. It's pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 7204/12/2013

They'd BETTER dance for her! Poor black people have a pressing moral obligation to suck up to rich white people & do exactly as they say!

by Anonymousreply 7304/12/2013

Madonna is a racist. She trashed black guys in Spin Magazine in 1995.

by Anonymousreply 7404/12/2013

If only there were more bi and gay dudes like this.

by Anonymousreply 7504/13/2013

R72, um, no, it wasn't just "yesterday".

"On March 16, 2011, pursuant to a restructuring agreement with KCI, RMI amended its organizational documents to remove corporate control from KCI.

"RMI is now controlled by a self-perpetuating board of directors which is not affiliated with KCI."

by Anonymousreply 7604/13/2013

CATFIGHT!

by Anonymousreply 7704/13/2013

I think Madonnabot is in hiding after Forbes debunked the billionaire story that her management was trying to peddle to the media. The DL ate that shit up for days thanks to it, then vanished after the news broke that it was false.

Someone who is as tight and controlling with money as she is shouldn't have been so sloppy with this charity. Did she have any say at all in things?

It's sad that her career is all smoke and mirrors at this point. She hasn't had a decent song in ages, her concerts are embarrassing and the image she is projecting to the world is something she would have ridiculed thirty years ago. It's all about accumulating meaningless ego stroking titles at this point.

What the fuck happened to her? Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 7804/13/2013

The best contribution Madonna could make for a better world would be to retire from public view.

by Anonymousreply 7904/13/2013

FF for you R33 . I am SICK of RACIST or racially condescending QUEENS who would cry bigot to anyone calling them faggot. You did not have to condescendingly refer to Madonna's SON as the little black child she adopted, like he is some thing (and a worthless petty thing at that). I don't care even if it is to make Madonna seem like the bitch she truly is. To the straight white man you are no better than the little black child.

by Anonymousreply 8004/14/2013

Oh snap...r 80! Read on!

"To the straight white man you are no better than the little black child." I agree!

by Anonymousreply 8104/14/2013

Well he is/was little, he is black and he is a child. It's not like he called him "nig nog" or something. If there's one thing worse than "racist" queens, it's hypersensitive overly PC moralising (presumably) WHITE people who complain about RACISM. Good grief.

Plenty of people have said similar things about the adoptions which left a bad taste in people's mouths and is probably where she jumped the shark, certainly where the public are concerned. In comparison to those that post was hardly inflammatory. It says more about you that you chose to read it that way than it does the "racist" poster.

by Anonymousreply 8204/14/2013

I love that she was pissed about having to wait in line like everyone else. I don't know why so many celebs expect special treatment. Make them wait like everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 8304/14/2013

R83 has obviously missed whole episodes of what this story is about.

by Anonymousreply 8404/14/2013

R 82: What an apologist you are. Was using the word "nig nog" really necessary? Are you satisfied with yourself now? You sound like a bigot yourself!

by Anonymousreply 8504/14/2013

[quote] And of course she bought those two African children, was allowed to bypass the adoption laws in that country and just snatch them up

That's not quite accurate. She didn't bypass the adoption laws. In fact the adoption laws were still being formulated at the time and there were provisions that were enacted meant to prevent child trafficking, to wit, that a prospective adoptive parent was to live in the country six months following the adoption.

Madonna did not remain in residence for the six months following her first child's adoption. The court ruled that if the law's intent could be accomplished by other means rather than forcing an adoptive parent to stay in country for a period of time then that fulfilled the legislative intent. It would be hard for someone like Madonna to hide something like child trafficking so the court found it was unnecessary for her to remain. That there were other equally reasonable measures that could be used to monitor a child's post-adoption safety and ensure against trafficking.

That's what courts do - they interpret the enactment of laws since the statutes themselves can't cover every conceivable evenuality. The court weighed the burden of the residency requirement against the needs of the child in the light of the legislative intent of the law.

So I personally and professionally don't consider what Madonna did as being above the law. I have not kept up with Malawi adoption laws so I have no idea about the second adoption or if the law was amended to carve out exceptions following the court's ruling.

by Anonymousreply 8604/14/2013

I thought part of the problem, R86, was that her first adopted child had a father who did not necessarily want his child to be adopted, but she took the child out of the country anyway?

by Anonymousreply 8704/14/2013

R87, when David's mother died in childbirth, his father dropped him off at the orphanage as he was a poor farmer who had no resources to care for him. He then went and had more kids with another woman (but that's beside the point). Supposedly, the father approved the adoption, but he didn't realize the arrangement was permanent.

by Anonymousreply 8804/14/2013

Madonna's letter is very nice and the President sounds like a bitchy, catty shrew. It is obvious from M's note that they knew each other before the woman became President of the country, hence the use of her first name instead of 'madame president' or something like that. They seemed to have been friendly and M is nothing but congratulatory and kind about it. I don't see any fault with M here. The Prez is a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 8904/14/2013

"So I personally and professionally don't consider what Madonna did as being above the law."

That's because you're a MadonnaBot. You've bent over backwards to make it seem like what she did was perfectly on the up and up. It wasn't. She was a rich white woman who wanted two African kids, a boy and a girl, a matched set. So she went over there and scooped them up, no muss, no fuss. No doubt a lot of strings were pulled and a lot of palms were greased to make the whole process fast and easy.

By the way, neither of the children she adopted were orphans. They both had family. In fact, the father of the boy seemed VERY confused about what was going on concerning his son. He thought Madonna was just going to pay to take care of him; he didn't know she was going to take possession of him and leave the country. He said he thought she was a "nice Christian lady!" Obviously he knew NOTHING about Madonna.

I suppose there are some fools who think those kids should thank their lucky stars Madonna snatched them away from their relatives and their country. I myself don't think life as the children of Madonna is going to be easy for them. All their lives they're going to be followed and have cameras stuck in their faces, and they're probably being raised by nannies seeing as how career-oriented Mommie Dearest is. She's been parading them around in Malawi but I doubt she's what you would call a loving, attentive mother. And have you seen her face in those pictures of her with those kids in Malawi? She looks GHASTLY.

by Anonymousreply 9004/14/2013

R90 = unhinged.

by Anonymousreply 9104/14/2013

[quote]made poor people dance for her

I would never do that

by Anonymousreply 9204/14/2013

R 90: I agree with you on this. Celebrity adoptions should be monitored more closely before and after the adoptions (by agencies, etc., who are not impressed with powerful and/or famous people with lots of money and influence.) We have no idea what really goes on in the homes of powerful celebs (especially those who are very driven and used to getting their way....no matter what.

A lot of celebs are very spoiled, arrogant and unstable. Some think they are above the law. They may have money, fame and power, but they are no better than anyone else. I've been around (and worked with) many big stars for years. Some are grounded and some are just horrible.

by Anonymousreply 9304/15/2013

So What?She makes poor people dance for her every time she hires someone for a video.Besides she probably gave those people a thrill!they probably don't know her best hits are from the 80's.

by Anonymousreply 9404/16/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 9504/17/2013

Shouldn't the word "singer" be in quotes when referring to this celeb entity? Utterly devoid of talent, this creature seeks any method of publicity available, and is not above manufacturing her own publicity events. Adopting children simply to appear "kind" is beneath contempt. How can so many gay men have worshipped this hag for so long?

by Anonymousreply 9604/17/2013

god you guys are twisted wrecks. The question is: what's happened to YOU? Seriously.

WTF has Madonna done to get on your nerves so badly?

She's a legend. An icon. A world figure.

And still relevant. In a man's world. At 54.

Not the greatest singer, but one of the best performers.

Her last concert is among the highest ATTENDED (read: who gives a fuck about the $$?).

And yeah, you still have to throw it in there, while perhaps not a billionaire, she's worth hundreds of millions.

She sucks big French Arab dick, gets her pussy smashed whenever she wants.

Has what seems to be loving kids.

Yeah, a fucked up existence. For people like you.

How can you hate on a gay legend like this? I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 9704/17/2013

Hi Madge!!!

by Anonymousreply 9804/17/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 9904/17/2013

by Anonymousreply 10004/17/2013

[quote]Madonna had to sample ABBA to get a number one.

Yeah, but what about all those songs Janet sampled to get her "hits"?

by Anonymousreply 10104/17/2013

by Anonymousreply 10204/17/2013

this woman is just insufferable. Who the fuck does she think she is to expect the president of ANY country to drop what he/she's doing and go meet up with Vadge? Self-important, entitled bitch is putting it nicely.

by Anonymousreply 10311/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.