Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I just watched the movie In & Out

WTF was that? I think I'm offended but I can't tell. Apparently A LOT has changed since 1997.

by Anonymousreply 7204/12/2013

Are you serious? That movie was hsyterical. So many good scenes. Written by the fabulous Paul Rudnick! The scene with the cassette of how to be masculine was enough to send me into hysterics.

by Anonymousreply 104/09/2013

Love the how to be a manly man tape he watches in order to butch it up.

"For Gods sake, dont shake that booty!"

by Anonymousreply 204/09/2013

Bob Newhart was terrific.

by Anonymousreply 304/09/2013

"Is EVERYONE gay?!?!"

by Anonymousreply 404/09/2013

OP = g0y

by Anonymousreply 504/09/2013

"Howard Brackett is a big homo, queer, Mary, sissy man! He just came out at his big church wedding! Martha Stewart is furious!"

by Anonymousreply 604/09/2013

Some of the funniest lines.

[I]'m not gay! Peter Malloy: t What was Streisand's eighth album? Howard Brackett: t Uh, "Color Me Barbra." Peter Malloy: t Stud! Howard Brackett: t Everybody knows that! Peter Malloy: t Everyone where? The Little Gay-bar on the Prairie?!

by Anonymousreply 704/09/2013

Emily: Does anybody here know how many times I had to watch Funny Lady?

Howard: It was a sequel. She was under contract.

Emily: Fuck Barbra Streisand, and you!

by Anonymousreply 804/09/2013

Glenn Close: [at the Academy Awards] This is Cameron's first nomination and he's in extremely good company. Tonight he joins fellow best actor nominee Paul Newman for "Coot", Clint Eastwood for "Codger", Michael Douglas for "Primary Urges" and Steven Seagal for "Snowball in Hell".

by Anonymousreply 904/09/2013

"Be a Man" tape: Repeat after me: Yo!

Howard Brackett: t Yo!

"Be a Man" tape: t Hot damn!

Howard Brackett: t Hot damn!

"Be a Man" tape: t What a fabulous window treatment!

Howard Brackett with a hand flourish: t What a fab . . .

"Be a Man" tape: t That was a trick!

by Anonymousreply 1004/09/2013

I thought it was daring for its time. A major motion picture with a gay central character with a happy ending. No one died of AIDS, no one killed themselves or were shunned into exile.

by Anonymousreply 1104/09/2013

Hilarious movie. Loved every second. And casting Tom Selleck as a pushy, intrusive gay reporter? Brilliant.

"This is my Peter, friend Peter! We just now ran into each other, here at the intersexual . . . homosection . . . intersection!"

by Anonymousreply 1204/09/2013

[quote] and Steven Seagal for "Snowball in Hell".

One of the BEST lines from the film. But then there were so many.

"My husband has three testicles. It's disgusting." Debbie Reynolds friend trying to show her that everyone has a secret.

It was a big deal in our little town out on Long Island when they came to film it. The local luncheonette still has the pictures up on the walls.

by Anonymousreply 1304/09/2013

Peter Malloy: t So, I just said, "Mom, Dad, Sparky, I'm gay!"

Howard Brackett: t What happened?

Peter Malloy: t Well, my mom cried--for exactly ten seconds--my boss said, "Who cares," and my Dad said, "But you're so tall."

The vapid model girlfriend: I dont have time. I promised to do that photo shoot this afternoon. I have to shower and vomit!"

by Anonymousreply 1404/09/2013

The little flower girl at the wedding: My mom said it will never happen.

Howard's mom: You mom's a drunk.

by Anonymousreply 1504/09/2013

PRINCIPAL (BOB NEWHART): It's fine. It's just fine. We do have graduation coming up Monday...and you kind of put us right...right in the spotlight. I'd be less than honest if I didn't tell you...that I've gotten some calls from parents...wondering if, in fact, you were a ho... ho...h-ho... h-ho...

HOWARD: Home room teacher?

PRINCIPAL: homo-hom-homosexual.

HOWARD: Tom, do I look like a homosexual?

PRINCIPAL: Would you walk for me?

by Anonymousreply 1604/09/2013

The movie simply doesn't make any sense.

by Anonymousreply 1704/09/2013

In what way does it not make sense R17?

by Anonymousreply 1804/09/2013

Bob Newhart was fantastic!

by Anonymousreply 1904/09/2013

OP, I think you have more questions than answers.

by Anonymousreply 2004/09/2013

R11 Actually, that makes it radical for NOW.

We are, sadly, still in a time where most mainstream movies with MAIN characters who are LGBT still fall victim to the dreaded Fag Must Die At The End syndrome.

Milk (I understand it was historically accurate) and Brokeback Mountain the most recent examples.

Kids are All Right is probably the only mainstream LGBT film in recent memory that didn't involve death or extreme tragedy. People either love or hate that movie, but it IS notable for accomplishing a story without tragedy.

by Anonymousreply 2104/09/2013

[quote]People either love or hate that movie, but it IS notable for accomplishing a story without tragedy.

You say that is if close-ups of Annette Bening weren't a massive calamity.

by Anonymousreply 2204/09/2013

Yes, OP, the movie is ripe with stereotypes but it treats them as laughable and shows the main character as loved by everyone but himself.

Yes it dismisses the reality for a fantasy but that's the style of that type of comedy.

He also had a happy ending and got some love at the end. Which was new for the gays on film in that time.

by Anonymousreply 2304/09/2013

You got a W&W from me for that one, R22!

by Anonymousreply 2404/09/2013

Peter Malloy: Look, everyone wants to talk to Diane Sawyer or Joan London, and my network's killing me. They want me blond!

Howard: With your coloring?

------- Jack: There's only two times when that kind of thing's okay: In prison where it's a substitute and guys in space.

Mike: Guys in space?

Jack: Well, not on purpose. They just float into each other.

by Anonymousreply 2504/09/2013

R12 And quite a brave career move for Tom, considering the rumors were at the rampant stage about that time.

by Anonymousreply 2604/09/2013

Oh piss off R27. Great movie. Great cast. Fun.

by Anonymousreply 2804/09/2013

[quote]Yes, OP, the movie is ripe with stereotypes...

It wasn't the stereotypes that I found off-putting, it was more the way the movie portrayed the main character's homosexuality as THE END OF THE WORLD for his entire town. Like...really? News crews tracking him down like rabid dogs to get the story? Being fired from his job? People becoming all verklempt and bent out of shape over it? I just felt paranoid for him the entire time, and I hate feeling paranoid.

by Anonymousreply 2904/09/2013

Actually, OP, I think that was the conflict in the plot. Whereas, in the past everyone in the cast would crash and burn in these old-style, gay films, the conflict was the town turning against the norm by having each one stand up and say "I'm gay." So they were just using the dorkiness of the school administrators as straight men for a comedy bit. For me, it's the quality of Rudnick's writing. He wrote Jeffrey, The Stepford Wives (w/Kidman), Addams Family Values, etc. And he writes a lot of funny sketches for The New Yorker.

by Anonymousreply 3004/09/2013

[quote]Addams Family Values

Well I guess that explains why Joan Cusack was in this movie! I can never look at her without laughing and saying, "MA-LI-BU...BAR-BIE."

by Anonymousreply 3104/09/2013

Hmmm. I guess what I mean is the conflict is set up by the school's decision to fire the teacher and resolved by the students and townspeople standing up for him . . . with Debbie Reynolds as Mom. Hard to believe she's coming out in a new movie playing Liberace's Mama.

by Anonymousreply 3204/09/2013

I LOVED Addams Family Values. It's one of my favorite movies.

by Anonymousreply 3304/09/2013

Huh R34?

by Anonymousreply 3504/10/2013

"It wasn't the stereotypes that I found off-putting, it was more the way the movie portrayed the main character's homosexuality as THE END OF THE WORLD for his entire town. Like...really? News crews tracking him down like rabid dogs to get the story? Being fired from his job? People becoming all verklempt and bent out of shape over it? I just felt paranoid for him the entire time, and I hate feeling paranoid"

Well, really, OP it was a small town in Indiana(?) and it was mentioned by an award winning actor (the only reason it got attention) and the town rallied around him in the end. What's to hate? I didn't get a feeling of hate from anyone.

by Anonymousreply 3604/10/2013

See r30, 35.

by Anonymousreply 3704/10/2013

R36 I agree, I didn't get a feeling of hate either...I never said that. But they did all act like it was the biggest deal in the entire world.

by Anonymousreply 3804/10/2013

It was harmless trash.

by Anonymousreply 3904/10/2013

Each of my older brothers has mentioned this movie since I came out to them. I view it as their way of saying, "We're hip to the whole gay thing."

I told both of them that TS is a huge leather queen, btw.

by Anonymousreply 4004/10/2013

Kline displayed a hot little body in this flick.

by Anonymousreply 4104/10/2013

The aspect that bothered me about this film when it first came out was how bad I felt for Joan Cusack's character. She was put through the ringer and everyone thought it was so funny, but I just felt for the girl.

by Anonymousreply 4204/10/2013

Are you THAT big an idiot, OP? What was a big deal was that one of his students outed him at the frisking Academy Awards - making it international news, and a big deal for a small town in Indiana.

It was based in Tom Hanks mentioning his high school drama teacher as a wonderful gay man when he won the Oscar and it was widely covered and made the teacher a bit of a celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 4304/10/2013

Did anyone read Rudnick's recent New Yorker piece about Nate Silver?

by Anonymousreply 4404/10/2013

R44=Libby Gelman-Waxner

by Anonymousreply 4504/10/2013

"These are a dead woman's treats"

Comes in handy in all kinds of situations.

by Anonymousreply 4604/10/2013

Why was the supposed celebrity actor dude driving a fucking Daewoo when he and his model gf checked into the cheap motel? That was real convincing.

by Anonymousreply 4804/10/2013

I agree that if you think Jay Leno is funny, you'll adore this movie.

Anyone else might find an amusing moment or two.

by Anonymousreply 4904/10/2013

Rental car R48. They flew from LA to Indiana.

by Anonymousreply 5004/10/2013

[quote]THE END OF THE WORLD for his entire town. Like...really? News crews tracking him down like rabid dogs to get the story

Ever heard the term "farce", dear?

by Anonymousreply 5104/10/2013

[quote]The aspect that bothered me about this film when it first came out was how bad I felt for Joan Cusack's character. She was put through the ringer and everyone thought it was so funny, but I just felt for the girl.

I know what you mean. But I like to think that after Kline got her to give her hair a little "shimmer" and she lost the weight and was "READY!" she found some guy who never heard of Barbra Streisand and they marched down the aisle together the following year.

You're right though. Even though Cusack was hysterical in the role, you feel badly for her all the way through.

Re Paul Rudnick and The Stepford Wives, it's watchable but pretty bad. The writing, however, is good. Authors really have to let go of their stories when they hand them over to a production company.

by Anonymousreply 5204/10/2013

[quote]You're right though. Even though Cusack was hysterical in the role, you feel badly for her all the way through.

That's the beauty of her performance, I think -- and a large reason why she earned an Oscar nom for the role.

by Anonymousreply 5304/10/2013

Don't feel too bad for her character. She was just another must-get-married-to-anyone frau-in-training. Brilliantly played, but she was not in love with Howard.

by Anonymousreply 5404/10/2013

IS EVERYBODY GAY!!!???

by Anonymousreply 5504/10/2013

[quote]Even though Cusack was hysterical in the role, you feel badly for her all the way through.

That wasn't accidental. Its called good acting.

by Anonymousreply 5604/10/2013

Tom Selleck was totally hot in that movie. Wanted to jump up on screen and ravage his bones.

by Anonymousreply 5704/10/2013

It would have been a much better movie if they'd shown a XXX scene of Selleck and Kline buttfucking.

by Anonymousreply 5804/10/2013

Just exactly how have things changed since 1997, OP?

by Anonymousreply 5904/10/2013

1997 was a fun year.

by Anonymousreply 6004/10/2013

Cusack's character ended up with Matt Dillon's character.

by Anonymousreply 6104/10/2013

Joan C is very funny in this film. "Is everybody gay, am I in the Twilight Zone?" Very cute.

Yes it is full of references and tweeks everyone including the Oscars. And it is kind to the bigots- Newhart is wonderful. I think it is a very good hearted picture and yeah- this sort of thing would be big news in a small town- just as it was for Hank's teacher.

The more interesting fact about the pic is that Tom Seleck is gay and not exactly like the character he played in the film in real life. He is in fact the quintessential closeted Hollywood star.

by Anonymousreply 6204/10/2013

[quote]Just exactly how have things changed since 1997, OP?

Well, for one, when someone comes out as gay now it's not a massive spectacle involving job losses and entire towns being in shock & awe over it (as is depicted in the movie). I don't think a movie like that could even be made today without being laughed at for its utter ridiculousness. Being gay is too much of a non-issue at this point.

I graduated high school in 1998 and would NEVER have considered coming out in school back then. No one did--it would have been the death of them (small town). Fast forward to 2010, my sister graduated from the same high school which she informed me now has a gay/straight alliance and openly gay students. I was floored when she told me that. For things to progress that far in that town in that short amount of time is really something.

by Anonymousreply 6304/10/2013

[quote] I don't think a movie like that could even be made today without being laughed at for its utter ridiculousness

Again, do you know what a farce is? Look it up. In & Out was not a documentary.

by Anonymousreply 6404/10/2013

Was the guy on the man tape the guy who played J. Peterman?

by Anonymousreply 6504/10/2013

[quote] Well, for one, when someone comes out as gay now it's not a massive spectacle involving job losses and entire towns being in shock & awe over it

If a high school teacher/coach jilted his girlfriend at the alter to come out, it would still be a big deal in small town Indiana. Last year's Republican Senate nominee in IN would almost certainly call for him to be fired..to protect the children.

by Anonymousreply 6604/10/2013

[quote]You say that is if close-ups of Annette Bening weren't a massive calamity.

Annette Bening wasn't in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 6704/11/2013

[quote]Was the guy on the man tape the guy who played J. Peterman?

You know, it really sounded like him, didn't it?

by Anonymousreply 6804/11/2013

Nope. The man on the tape is John Cunningham.

by Anonymousreply 6904/11/2013

R67 While I agree it wasn't terribly clear, that response was referring to R21's comment about "The Kids Are Alright" which DID star Ms. Bening.

by Anonymousreply 7004/11/2013

Things have changed in the past 15 years, but not everywhere. My county HS has two gay teachers, and they have been advised by the principal to remain closeted. The parents' council and the county's Board of Supervisors are on record to demand the resignation of any LGBT staff who are in direct contact with students.

I live in the purple state of Virginia where the Attorney General is trying to resurrect the sodomy laws.

by Anonymousreply 7104/11/2013

RANDOM FACT: At the end of the movie when they're dancing to "Macho Man", Joan Cusack is seated because they did that on a reshoot and she was pregnant at the time.

by Anonymousreply 7204/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.