Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Investing a gift

I was recently left $10K as a gift by a recently deceased uncle.

Luckily I don't have any pressing needs to use the money, so I'd like to put it in a medium-risk investment.

Any ideas from the Susie Ormon's of DL?

by Anonymousreply 1004/12/2013

A basic stock index mutual fund with the lowest fees you can find. Vanguard has a couple that are suitable and that rank at or near the top for that category.

by Anonymousreply 104/09/2013

Thanks, R1. Appreciate it.

by Anonymousreply 204/09/2013

Well, I second what R1 said, but I didn't go with the lowest fee thing.

First, I followed my fund for a few months, looked at its history over the years, and then considered whether the fee was worth it. My fund appears to take out the fee if you take out the money, which I didn't know at the time.

That's fine, because I do like to have most of my money going to the fund not fee, my other funds are like that too, except one.

Anyway, my last suggestion is to tell you to have some cash reserves, if you don't already have money set aside for rainy days.

by Anonymousreply 304/10/2013

Stay away from a fucking "fund" of any kind unless you're interested in Funding the agent's college Fund for his kids.

Put it in a blue chip like one of these:

CVS Caremark McDonald's Johnson & Johnson Coca-Cola Union Pacific Occidental Petroleum Reliance Steel Cardinal Health ConocoPhillips Archer-Daniels Midland

and just forget about it for 40 years. NEVER sell, no matter what happens. You will not believe how much money you end up with, and hopefully you will remember this piece of sincere advice one day. :)

by Anonymousreply 404/10/2013

[quote]but I didn't go with the lowest fee thing.

For an index fund, there is no real management required. That's why going for the lowest fee works. And index funds, which basically just mirror the entire stock market, pretty consistently outperform all of those more costly and more closely managed funds, where the managers hand-pick the stocks and charge large fees for doing so.

[quote]Stay away from a fucking "fund" of any kind unless you're interested in Funding the agent's college Fund for his kids.

An index fund doesn't have that issue. Something like Vanguard 500 Index Fund Admiral Shares, for example, has an expense ratio of 0.05%. Note: I'm not recommending that specific fund; just pointing it out as a typical low-cost index fund.

by Anonymousreply 504/12/2013

Magic beans are the perfect investment in today's wintery economic climate.

by Anonymousreply 604/12/2013

Buy the whole market with an index fund.

Suze said that the other day. Don't know what it means but Suze said it.

by Anonymousreply 704/12/2013

Therapy as did another nephew on DL who inherited from his uncle. His uncle wanted him to use it for that purpose.

by Anonymousreply 804/12/2013

R4 is correct....I'd add French oil company Total to that list.

Nice dividend, set it up a s a dividend reinvestment and don't touch it.

Ticker TOT

by Anonymousreply 904/12/2013

Suze was also telling people to buy real estate at the peak of the largest real estate bubble in human history.

by Anonymousreply 1004/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.