Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"We're praying for you"

Words that wound.

by Anonymousreply 4005/09/2013

“We’re praying for you” isn’t a harmless afterthought. It’s not a pleasant wish for my general well-being, continued physical health or financial security. No, my mother’s “we’re praying for you” is an italicized baseball bat, a silent plea for God to change her oldest son from something abhorrent and abominable back to the fresh-faced young man who dated the captain of the Bible college cheerleading squad, before it was discovered he was also sleeping with the captain of the boy’s soccer team.

by Anonymousreply 104/09/2013

Oh-hhhh, I HATE when people say that to me. Makes me feel weak, wrong, fucked up, incapable of handling my own issues. It does NOT sit well with me. Fucking Baptist BULLSHIT.

by Anonymousreply 204/09/2013

what r1 and r2 said

by Anonymousreply 304/09/2013

And the people who usually say that are so, so FULL of themselves. Like they have it all figured out and nailed down, so they are in a position, spiritually, to intervene on your behalf. Booger-eating baboons.

by Anonymousreply 404/09/2013

J'adore the "booger-eating baboon" troll!

by Anonymousreply 504/09/2013

.... before someone gets defensive, this is NOT about those times a person says they will pray for someone who is ill, or who is in genuine need of some kind...

those prayers, while naive and childlike, perhaps. come from a place of goodness.

by Anonymousreply 604/09/2013

Sissy: Why dont you pray for them people in China? They need it a hell of a lot more than I do.

Juanita: We were praying for them, but it didn't seem to do much good. Now we pray for rain.

by Anonymousreply 704/09/2013

The prayer thing really repulses me. I know it's usually a well-intended line, yet it is the most insincere line since, 'have a nice day'.

by Anonymousreply 804/09/2013

and its cousin, "Have a blessed day."

Where "blessed" has two syllables.

by Anonymousreply 904/09/2013

Again, as irritating as the prayer thing is generally, the editorial in question is talking about when a straight homophobe says it to a gay person, meaning that they hope GOD will TURN them straight.

by Anonymousreply 1004/09/2013

Sacrilege! 1) they're not really praying for you (Lying); 2) the inference that they are "blested", thus a little closer to God than you are (Pride) and can curry you some favors (False Prophet).

Jesus wept.

by Anonymousreply 1104/09/2013

yes he did/

by Anonymousreply 1204/09/2013

More thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 1304/10/2013

A guy I knew in high school posted some anti-marriage equality stuff on his Facebook page, and I did make some comments (very civil). He's hardline Catholic (and a bit twee, as I remember him from high school). He kept saying, "I will pray for you." I finally asked him, twice, what he would like to happen as a result of his prayers. I asked him if he would like for me to break my husband's heart and divorce him, go into a long, mentally painful period of therapy and heterosexual conversion, and lose friends who would think I was being dishonest and mean. He wouldn't answer. They never can. Because if they say what they really mean by "I will pray for you", they will sound really, really mean.

by Anonymousreply 1404/10/2013

Exactly, r14. Thanks for sharing that.

by Anonymousreply 1504/10/2013

Check it out.

Quite a trail on that booger!

by Anonymousreply 1604/10/2013

This phrase is irritating, repulsive and useless no matter what context in which it is issued.

by Anonymousreply 1704/10/2013

To which I usually reply - "Please don't."

by Anonymousreply 1804/10/2013

Nah, r17 -- "Booger-Eating Baboon" is damnfunny.

I don't care who you are.

by Anonymousreply 1904/10/2013

back to subject, please./

by Anonymousreply 2004/10/2013

When someone asks, "What will you be doing this [religious holiday]?" I'll pleasantly say, "I'm not a Christian, but I'll appreciate the day off!". Sometimes they'll follow-up with a "You're not a Christian?" or "What are you then?" and I'll just say I wasn't raised in a religion or with a religious background.

People can't imagine that someone doesn't hold conversations with dieties all day long.

by Anonymousreply 2104/10/2013

It does tend to blow their mind, r21. I attended a Catholic college as an atheist, and when it came time to take the required religious studies courses, some of these doe-eyed Catholic kids were agog that there was no religion in my life. They really felt that there was something "missing". At least one was visibly sad for me.

by Anonymousreply 2204/11/2013

they are so brainwashed

by Anonymousreply 2304/11/2013

What circles do you people run in, where you're seemingly assaulted by aggressive Christians wanting to pray for you?

I live in the Bible Belt, and have health, ill elder parental, and "morality" issues. I hear the I'll be praying for you jazz maybe once every 2-3 months. I just say Thank you! and carry on shouldering my burdens. To me it's like someone saying you look good when you know you look like the semi-invalid you are.

by Anonymousreply 2404/11/2013

I laugh and say as I walk away, "Thanks. I need all the help I can get."

These people have been getting smart-ass answers from me ever since the day one of them yelled at my back, "Christ died for your sins." My response to that one was, "Better him than me."

by Anonymousreply 2504/11/2013

When they say they're praying for you, look earnest and sincere and seriously tell them you're praying for them too, especially if you're not religious. (to indicate something is wrong with them) See if they get it. If they ask, you can say all sorts of wonderful things like praying god will open their heart, teach them to love their neighbor, teach them the rule of judge not lest ye be judged, any number of lovely fuck you things that validate us and not their narrowness. It's fun to fight their bullshit using their own sacred text.

But to my mother, I insist she does not pray for me, because it interferes with my free will choice to abstain from that god stuff, and if she prays for me, she's breaking God's rules about free will.

by Anonymousreply 2604/11/2013

by Anonymousreply 2704/11/2013

by Anonymousreply 2804/11/2013

"I will pray for you."

"Thanks. I will think for you."

by Anonymousreply 2904/11/2013

I'm not praying for you, OP. But I am hoping you have a blessed day.

And God forgive you.

by Anonymousreply 3004/11/2013

And you too!

by Anonymousreply 3104/11/2013

When I would share something unpleasant or worse in the my life with my mother, she would say, "All for the love of Jesus."

It was a way to cut off discussion, and negate the challenges presented by things.

by Anonymousreply 3204/11/2013

Forgive me for what, exactly, r30?

by Anonymousreply 3304/11/2013

Praying for me will only make you feel better, but I guess if that is the extent of what you can do, then go for it. I'll look for solutions elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 3404/11/2013

by Anonymousreply 3504/11/2013

Fuck people and their prayers. Fuck them all. There's no such thing.

by Anonymousreply 3604/11/2013

by Anonymousreply 3704/12/2013

by Anonymousreply 3805/09/2013

"If you want to help, pray that I win the lottery."

by Anonymousreply 3905/09/2013

Well, that sentence would be a relatively new development in Catholicism, where traditionally, the people who pray for you are attractive long dead,and no longer have much humanity in them:the widely known,multicultural and legendary Saints, who also give you have a pick of individuals who lived over a 2050 year period.

I guess that is a bit more of a glamorous,less Protestant option than your mom and her group of friends praying for you OP.

by Anonymousreply 4005/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!