Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Rick Warren takes on 'haters' in wake of son's suicide

April 8, 2013

Rick Warren, the famed pastor who on Saturday announced that his son had committed suicide, thanked well-wisher for their kind words but also took on "haters" who have used the news to lash out.

"Grieving is hard. Grieving as public figures, harder. Grieving while haters celebrate your pain, hardest," Warren wrote on Facebook Monday night. "Your notes sustained us Grieving is hard."

Warren has been deluged with words of support both at his Saddleback Church in Orange County and on the Web. “Kay and I are overwhelmed by your love, prayers, and kind words,” Warren wrote on Facebook on Sunday.

Matthew Warren, 27, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, the Orange County coroner said Monday.

On Saturday, Warren's emotional message to his congregation paid tribute to his son, who he said died after battling mental illness.

"Today after a fun evening together with Kay and me, in a momentary wave of despair at his home, he took his own life," Warren said.

The death at the younger Warren's home on Pradera Drive in Mission Viejo was reported to Orange County Sheriff’s Department officials about 5:25 p.m. Friday, said Supervising Deputy Coroner Dan Aikin.

In his statement to his congregation, Warren talked about how "only those closest knew that [Matthew] struggled from birth with mental illness, dark holes of depression, even suicidal thoughts."

He described his son as a "kind, gentle and compassionate man" with a "brilliant intellect" and who was sensitive to the needs of others.

"Kay and I often marveled at his courage to keep moving in spite of his relentless pain. I'll never forget how, many years ago, after another approach had failed to give relief, Matthew said, 'Dad, I know I'm going to heaven. Why can't I just die and end this pain?' but he kept going for another decade."

Among those offering condolences was Harvest Christian Fellowship leader Greg Laurie, who tweeted followers to join him in a prayer for Warren and his wife.

Laurie, whose adult son Christopher was killed in a 2008 car crash, noted on his blog that he had experienced similar pain. "At times like these, there really are no words, but there is the Word," he wrote.

The Christian Post reported that Laurie was joined in condolences by a host of other religious leaders, including Will Graham, the grandson of the Rev. Billy Graham.

The elder Warren is the bestselling author of "The Purpose-Driven Life." He delivered the invocation at President Obama's inauguration in 2008.

by Anonymousreply 4604/11/2013

[quote] Matthew said, 'Dad, I know I'm going to heaven. Why can't I just die and end this pain?' but he kept going for another decade."

Don't suicides supposedly go straight to hell, with teh gays?

by Anonymousreply 104/09/2013

He went there, I knew he would. A homophobe complaining about "haters", priceless. That's my monster, I loved helping create him!

by Anonymousreply 204/09/2013

He sure is obsessed with hard things!

by Anonymousreply 304/09/2013

Wait, why would there be haters over a suicide? Was the son gay and killed himself because his parents didn't accept him? If it was just mental illness, why would there be haters?

by Anonymousreply 404/09/2013

r1, not if you use a gun. You get to sit at the right hand of Jesus for all eternity.

by Anonymousreply 504/09/2013

R4, he's talking about the Internet, post-suicide. Nature of the beast. Conservative Christians wanted a "holy war" against gays and non-Christians, they should not be surprised that many of us hate them.

by Anonymousreply 604/09/2013

Rick Warren IS a hater.

I'd kill myself if he were my father too.

by Anonymousreply 704/09/2013

Rick Warren is indeed a hater. I'm not glad his son committed suicide, but I have no sympathy for Warren -- think how many young men he's driven to suicide through his homophobia. Karma is a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 904/09/2013

thye right wing ALWAYS fakes many more "haters" when something like this happens than really exist.

No one I saw on my feeds said anything close to hateful, even though we can't stand this false prophet.

by Anonymousreply 1004/09/2013

Oh BOO HOO, why not ask yourself what you've done with your life that would warrant having haters.

by Anonymousreply 1104/09/2013

Exactly, R11. How many gay people in Uganda have suffered (and died) because of his 'love'? I fucking hate him. If his son was gay as has been speculated, then I feel deeply sorry for the miserable life he must have had with this shitstain for a father. If he was gay, I also wonder if he was subjected to any sort of reversion therapy.

by Anonymousreply 1204/09/2013

What goes around, comes around Ricky. Or to put it another way:

"...for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap."

Galatians 6:7

by Anonymousreply 1304/09/2013

So Rick Warren posts here!

by Anonymousreply 1404/09/2013

Oral Roberts had a son that committed suicide too. My Mother went to school with that kid.

As much as I want to blame the parents, depression happens everywhere and suicide fucks up so many lives. This kid probably had friends who are deeply affected by this and my heart goes out (cliché, I know) to them.

No one deserves the pain of losing someone this way. It's the darkest most difficult kind of grief.

Maybe one day Warren will wake up to the fact that preaching against glbt people isn't going to help anything or anyone.

by Anonymousreply 1504/09/2013

Neither Oral Roberts nor Rick Warren ever gave a flying fuck about their kids. These are sociopaths, and they are incapable of parental concern. He had to feign sorrow for a day, and that was about it.

by Anonymousreply 1604/09/2013

I expect R16 is correct, simply because people don't become public figures by staying home and paying attention to their loved ones.

I also wonder if effective therapy was discouraged, because "Christian counseling" has never been effective for a damn thing.

by Anonymousreply 1704/09/2013

Should grown men really be using the word "haters"? I hate it when old people try to "appeal to the youth" be awkwardly using their slang. Actually, I don't even think young people are using "haters" anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1804/09/2013

R18, since the OP was careful to put 'haters' in quotation marks (I'm quoting his, hence the ' instead of the "), I'm not a hater. I'll grant him a pass.

But I didn't realize "hater" was youth-restricted. The person I hear use it most frequently is a 50+ y.o. talk show host (whose literacy skills preclude his using it ironically).

Also, when talking about someone as evil as Rick Warren (or that Thatcher cunt), I'm very much in favor of everyone's being allowed to use "haters," as it's such a clearcut description of who and what one wants to be in relationship to such vessels of evil.

by Anonymousreply 1904/09/2013

[quote]the OP was careful to put 'haters' in quotation marks

It's the LA Times that did that - I just copied & pasted it from the link.

by Anonymousreply 2004/09/2013

Rick Warren's bitch wife made it clear that the son was a burden. Those pieces of shit are probably relieved he's dead.

by Anonymousreply 2104/09/2013

Too late now of course, but I wish if the son was gay, he had found enough support outside his church/family, to come out and denounce his father's hate speech.

by Anonymousreply 2204/10/2013

I'm pretty sure that Marie Osmond's son was gay. He committed suicide too.

by Anonymousreply 2304/10/2013

We can out-hate this boob any day of the week.

by Anonymousreply 2404/10/2013

I;ll add a bit to the pot. Even if his son was not gay, and instead was a paranoid schizophrenic, I still would remind the Pastor that his rhetoric may well have cost younger lives througout this country by spewing HIS beliefs about homosexuality. Maybe the karma chickens finally came home to roost.

And Pastor Rick would tell you that he has no problem with LGBT long as they don't practice their perversion!

by Anonymousreply 2504/10/2013

My question about this whole episode is how Matthew Warren, who was a life-long depressive, managed to get a hold of a gun at his father's house. Did he live with his parents and, if so, were they stupid enough to have a weapon around with such a high risk person in the house?

The fucking gun is the icing on the cake of both the Warren family statements.

by Anonymousreply 2604/10/2013

We fairies are just saying that perhaps Warren should have spent less time attacking us and our loved ones and more time tending to his own, r27. Maybe his son would still be alive if he'd done that. All the time and energy he put into demonizing gays could have been spent caring for his poor son, who obviously needed it.

Plus, most of the hate is actually coming from evangelicals and KKKristians who are saying that Warren's son is now in hell for killing himself. You have to find Christians to say shit that sick, twisted and cruel.

by Anonymousreply 2804/10/2013

[quote] Grieving while haters celebrate your pain, hardest

And STILL can't resist taking a swipe at the gays. And what the fuck is he doing on Twitter, Facebook and comments sections anyway?

by Anonymousreply 2904/10/2013

r27 is the closet-case defender on the closet case thread.

Not me.

by Anonymousreply 3004/10/2013

[quote]Another example of how you fairies are tolerant only if others agree. Really pathetic.

Not tolerating intolerance is right. Self-loathing, like yours, is wrong.

by Anonymousreply 3104/10/2013

Sadly, I think R16 nailed it. This was exactly my reaction to Portman's "change of heart" - the guy already knew his son was gay and it didn't change his feelings on gay marriage. It was only the possibility that it would affect him politically that seemed to cause his "evolution". In that regard, he some very prominent company.

I'm terribly sorry for the son, however.

by Anonymousreply 3204/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 3304/10/2013

I feel so sad for society when our political hate has consumed us so much, we have to cheer when people like this lose someone close.

Even the threads and YouTube postings about Margaret Thatcher's death makes me want to cry.

These people were not/are not Adolf Hitler. There is so much space for political and social activism, but we've got to get a handle on ourselves, all of us. The hate is boiling over and consuming us all.

by Anonymousreply 3404/10/2013

r34, you must not be a careful reader.

No one is "cheering" the individual deaths. Margaret Thatcher was pretty darned evil, quite frankly, and if you don't understand that, you need to read a little more.

by Anonymousreply 3504/10/2013

You're part of the problem.

by Anonymousreply 3604/10/2013

I know Rick Warren doesn't approve of the homosex but I recall from the inauguration controversy it was not something he focused much attention on.

by Anonymousreply 3804/10/2013

not out loud, anyway....

by Anonymousreply 3904/10/2013

some of the replies on OP's link are unbelievable. Freeper fundie cunts all over it.

by Anonymousreply 4004/10/2013

"I'd kill myself if he were my father too."

Many would have aimed the gun elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 4104/10/2013

IDT RW was a big homosex hater per say. He was born in SF.

And the son did not ping, not saying that not-pinging=not gay but who knows.

I think the son was schizo and actually RW is probably lucky the schiz son did not shoot RW & the rest of the family as well as the parishoners aka Newtown massacre.

And after the Newtown massacre, KNOWING his son was paranoid-schiz & having a gun in his house shows a lack of responsibility on RW's part. IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 4204/10/2013

Looky what I found. Apparently Rick's wife's family is full of psychotic people and the son had bipolar disease. Knowing the familial genetic issues in their family, keeping a gun in the home was 100% their responsibilty - they shouldn't have.

Plus RW and the wife have a very rocky marriage according to this article - both cheat? Anyone have the dish?

by Anonymousreply 4304/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 4404/10/2013

Loaded gun in their house?

by Anonymousreply 4504/11/2013

Apparently, he shot himself with someone else's gun. If he'd had his OWN gun, he could have fought back.

by Anonymousreply 4604/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!