Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Shouldn't Liv Ullman have won an Oscar?

I just watched Autumn Sonata for the first time. She was great...I don't get how Ingrid got all the awards.

by Anonymousreply 2304/10/2013

She is not American.

by Anonymousreply 104/08/2013

She should have won an Oscar for Face to Face.

by Anonymousreply 204/08/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 304/08/2013

Yes, only Americans win Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 404/08/2013

r4, those wins are only in the last 10 years where the film industry has become more internationalized. How many foreign actors/actress won in the 60s/70s compared to now?

by Anonymousreply 604/08/2013

I have a feeling she doesn't give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 704/09/2013

r6 I think lots of Brits won in the 60's/70's...."they give Glenda Jackson a bloody Oscar every year and she never shows up!"

by Anonymousreply 804/09/2013

Her only American tribute was when Bebe Buell named her spawn by Steven Tyler after her.

by Anonymousreply 904/09/2013

As for the Oscar, Liv and Let Liv.

by Anonymousreply 1004/09/2013

You lot must be too young to remember Simone Signoret and Sophia Loren won the best actress Oscars back in 1959 and 1961.

Liv certainly wouldnt win for any of her American movies ..... but yes she and Ingrid should have tied for Autumn Sonata in 1978.

by Anonymousreply 1104/09/2013

Jane Fonda won in 1978...I never get that one. I guess it was connected to her Vietnam activism but Coming Home is a boring performance. I was shocked to read Jill Clayburgh lost that year too. I always thought she won.

by Anonymousreply 1204/09/2013

r5, IB was born in Stockholm.

As for 'Autumn Sonata': Ullmann is great, as usual, but her performance isn't wildly different from 'Face to Face' or 'Scenes from a Marriage', for which she should have won. (Yes, I realize the latter is a tv mini-series which was cut to a theatrical release in the US).

Ingrid Bergman has arguably the more challenging part in 'Autumn Sonata'; she has to convey maternal love, indifference, derision, regret, embarrassment... sometimes all in one take. And she pulls it off.

It's a more quiet yet nuanced performance than Ullmann's, and therefore Bergman deserved her nomination.

by Anonymousreply 1304/10/2013

Wow, r13, that r5 post just flew right over your little head, didn't it?

I never miss a Liv Ullmann musical.

by Anonymousreply 1404/10/2013

She's also a terrific director as anyone who saw the production of STREETCAR with Cate Blanchett will attest.

And before anyone gets too rhapsodic about Blanchett, I think Ullman deserves credit for guiding Blanchett's superb performance as the latter's previous NYC stage appearance in NYC in HEDDA GABLER was underwhelming, to put it nicely. But that whole production was horrid.

by Anonymousreply 1504/10/2013

"Autmn Sonata" is one of Bergman's greatest performances. Liv is fine but Ingrid is incredible.

by Anonymousreply 1604/10/2013

What about a Tony- or not?!

by Anonymousreply 1704/10/2013

I agree, R15. I credit Liv Ullman with getting out of Blanchett a performance that was more from the gut than anything Blanchett had done before.

I saw Blanchett in UNCLE VANYA last year and I didn't understand the hype about her performance. She was not nearly as luminous and captivating as she was in STREETCAR.

by Anonymousreply 1804/10/2013

I eat shit.

by Anonymousreply 1904/10/2013

Yes OP. At the very least she should have more nominations. OK so Scenes from a Marriage was hampered by the TV rule, but she was drop dead amazing in Sonata, every bit the equal of Ingrid, really better.

Speaking of Ingrid I need to get that TV movie she did where she played the Israeli prime minister. That along with Sonata, her final performances, have been said to be the best.

by Anonymousreply 2004/10/2013

The role of Mama in I Remember Mama seems tailor made for her.

Yet she flopped on Broadway.

What went wrong?

by Anonymousreply 2104/10/2013

If you heard her sing, R21, you'd know why it flopped (she was thankfully dubbed in LOST HORIZON). Plus Richard Rogers was way, way past his prime at that point. The show itself was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 2204/10/2013

There are worst singers that have appeared on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 2304/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!