Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Question Regarding "Mad Men" - Pete Campbell

I'm still on Season One, but I'm curious:

Without revealing too much, can someone give me a clue as to weather or not he's a sociopath? I just watched "Red in the Face" (the episode where he exchanges a wedding gift for a shotgun...creating a lie about he and his bride receiving two) and I feel like some "A Place in the Sun" shit is on the horizon. I know he doesn't kill Peggy since they're both still on the show, but he seems so sinister...far beyond the fundamentally good/poor little rich boy cliche.

by Anonymousreply 1704/10/2013

[quote]Without revealing too much, can someone give me a clue as to weather or not he's a sociopath?

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 104/08/2013

R1, you can kiss my ass.

by Anonymousreply 204/08/2013

No, he's not a sociopath. He merely lives in constant envy of taller, better-looking Don. The only bona fide sociopath on the show, of the main characters at least, is Betty.

by Anonymousreply 304/08/2013

He's just an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 404/08/2013

Pete Campbell would, by any definition, be a sociopath.

Don Draper is a psychopath.

by Anonymousreply 504/08/2013

im not clicking the link at R5, but it sure does look like malware

by Anonymousreply 604/08/2013

I don't look at him as a sociopath so much as an asshole, although this subtype of antisocial personality disorder describes him pretty well:

Covetous (variant of "pure" pattern) tFeels intentionally denied and deprived; rapacious, begrudging, discontentedly yearning; envious, seeks retribution, and avariciously greedy; pleasure more in taking than in having.

by Anonymousreply 704/08/2013

Thanks, everyone. In the scene where Pete is pointing the gun at the secretaries and he focuses the barrel straight at Peggy, I got the impression that he's more twisted than he originally seemed.

Also, I definitely agree that Don is a psychopath. The scene where he pays off the elevator guy to exact revenge on Roger (without ever showing his hand) cemented that impression.

by Anonymousreply 804/08/2013

When was that R8?

by Anonymousreply 904/08/2013

Don's character is not a psychopath and Pete's character is not a sociopath.

You pseudo-psychiatrists have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 1004/08/2013

R9: Roger hit on Betty while having dinner at the Drapers', so Don gets his revenge by going to lunch with Roger and paying off the elevator guy. When they return from lunch, the elevator is "closed for repairs" and Roger and Don have to take the stairs. Of course Roger--who's older--can't keep up, and by the time he makes it to Sterling Coopers' offices, he pukes all over the place.

Why Don came across as a psychopath in the episode: He suddenly flips and threatens Betty (who he thinks flirted with Roger during dinner), and then he sets out to prove he's better than Roger by embarrassing him.

Re: R10

I realize DL has trolls who consider it their job to accuse others of not knowing the true definition of a psychopath or sociopath, but anyone who claims that Don and Pete don't exhibit serious personality disorders is being disingenuous. Pete lied to everyone in the office, and then at the department store, by creating a story about receiving two chip and dips as wedding presents. Eventually it's revealed, in a scene in which his wife is berating him, that an aunt gave the couple the chip and dip and they only received one. For whatever reason, he created a lie...first in attempt to get $20...and eventually to just exchange the gift for a shotgun. And while he's doing that, he accuses a "friend" who successfully flirted with a saleswoman of having the clap when he fails to impress her with *his* flirting skills.

That's just one episode in which Pete exhibits behavior that is in no way normal, and far beyond the usual "cry for help."

by Anonymousreply 1104/08/2013

Don getting revenge on Roger was not psychopathy.

Pete is a slimeball.

by Anonymousreply 1204/08/2013

I thought psychopath is just a sociopath with a politer label.

by Anonymousreply 1304/09/2013

I agree with r10 100%. Pete is not a sociopath, and Don is not a psychopath. Those of you who say so know nothing about psychology.

Both of them are extremely selfish and both are narcissists. But both of them are also capable of feeling genuine empathy for other people.

Pete gets a lot better after all he goes through in season 2 (the death of his father, his realization of the monstrousness of his mother, and Peggy's revelation). Although he often cheats on Trudy, he seems to love her genuinely, especially in seasons 3 and 4.

Don genuinely loves his children and Megan. He also seems to care for Betty at some deep level (he's worried when she has the cancer scare at the beginning of season 5).

by Anonymousreply 1404/09/2013

Oh, do Don wanting nothing to do with his little brother is normal behavior?

by Anonymousreply 1504/09/2013

R15 - given why Don ran away, it's not psychopathy or sociopathy.

by Anonymousreply 1604/10/2013

r13 Yes, sociopath and psychopath means the same thing. It has nothing to do with politeness. I think psychopath is the older label and then some thought sociopath would be a better word to describe it. Many psychiatrists nowadays feel that the category is useless anyway, since you can't cure it or do anything with it. The label "evil motherfucker" works pretty much just as well.

Pete: Is not a sociopath, but he turns out to be a predatory creep, which was probably foreshadowed in the gun pointing scene. He arguably date-rapes a teenager later and is rather stalky with several women. There is also a scene in which he is very cruel to Peggy because she acts differently to what he thinks she is supposed to. So yes, you picked up on something, OP, but it's not as dramatic or black or white as you're expecting.

Don: Also messed up from getting too little love when growing up, like Pete, also not completely evil/a psychopath.

Betty: I don't even get why someone would call her that? She can be a little cold to her children sometimes. Jesus. The bar for women to be seen as evil is pretty low in people's minds.

by Anonymousreply 1704/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!