Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

At what point did the Middle East enter the American consciousness?

What year was the first incident or historical event that made us aware.

Did anything happen in the 70's ?

by Anonymousreply 6804/10/2014

May 14, 1948

by Anonymousreply 104/08/2013

I thought more like 1967?

by Anonymousreply 204/08/2013

You don't think "Europeans" is a bit too inclusive, R3?

by Anonymousreply 404/08/2013

Don't you think we should go back to something like the Barbary Pirates of 200 years ago?

by Anonymousreply 504/08/2013

You mean there were then-current residents, r7? I thought the region was completely empty.

by Anonymousreply 804/08/2013

I'm with R2 on this one. Founding of Israel and the Suez Canal incident of 1956 probably didn't really register as much for most Americans.

by Anonymousreply 1004/08/2013

November 26, 1873 at the Academy of Music in New York City.

by Anonymousreply 1104/08/2013

That would be 1923, when the oil seeps in Arabia were discovered to be commercially viable and the first leases were obtained. By 1936 Standard oil got into the mix, and American business and banking has been there since.

by Anonymousreply 1304/08/2013

[quote]Our greatest mistake was to legitimize the state of Israel without first demanding from it a plausible solution for the Palestinian population.

The United Nations partitioned the mandate into two states. One side rejected the partition wanting it all. That was not the israelis.

by Anonymousreply 1404/08/2013

December 25, 0000

by Anonymousreply 1504/08/2013

R7 - SING IT LOUDER

by Anonymousreply 1604/08/2013

1973 - the gas embargo

Prior to that, the Middle East wasn't in the news all the time. The average person didn't take a political position on what the U.S. should do there. But waiting in long lines to fill up the car, filling up on alternate days, that pushed the Middle East to front and center. The Iranian hostage crisis cemented the fixation.

by Anonymousreply 1704/08/2013

Not curious at all. The Arabs invaded and lost the territory in war. Israel gave back most of that territory, but in the case of the West Bank and Gaza, the states that used to own the land said "no thanks." Why did the take back the empty land but express no interest whatsoever in having back the land that was full of Palestinians? That's curious.

by Anonymousreply 1904/08/2013

Palestinians cannot self govern. They have to be under the control of the Israelis or another civilized society.

by Anonymousreply 2104/08/2013

The Crusades!

I win.

by Anonymousreply 2204/08/2013

To the victors, go the spoils, r18. The Arab states made a bad bet in invading, and the Palestinian Arabs (as opposed to the heretofore Palestinian Jews) made a worse one, to wit; Believing in the ultimate Arab victory and the promise of return by the Arab winners, the PAs chose not to say in the new Israel. Instead, they opted for refugee camps in Trans-Jordan.

And there they remained, because the bellicose Arabs lost. Oops.

Until King Hussein harried the PAs from his land when they tried to assassinate him ("Black September"). Bigger Oops.

by Anonymousreply 2404/08/2013

r23 is nuts.

by Anonymousreply 2504/08/2013

Um, no.

1. The Zionists did not invade. They started buying land in Palestine in the 1800s. When European Jews immigrated in the 19th century, they joined the Jewish community that was already there. (In 1854, the Ottoman census showed that the largest group in Jerusalem was the Jewish community.) They also joined middle eastern Jews who had returned to the Holy Land, including Jews who fled attacks upon the Jewish community in Syria. Montefiore bought land in Palestine for the Syrian Jews before the Zionists showed up. Please, at long last, give up the pretense that there were no Jews there prior to 1945.

2. When the League of Nations set up the Palestine Mandate, Great Britain was charged with establishing a Jewish Homeland in the mandate. Great Britain then carved out over 75% of the mandate to create the Kingdom of TransJordan where Jewish settlement was forbidden. So Palestine was not carved up in favor of the Jews. It was carved up overwhelmingly in favor of the Arabs.

3. The Arabs started attacking Jewish communities in the 1920s.

4. The Arab League decided to invade Jerusalem with the intent of pushing the Jews into the sea.

by Anonymousreply 2704/08/2013

In the 1980s, we supplied and supported the Mujahidin (Afghans) against the Russians. We turned them from essentially nobodies on the world scene into world-class fighters. We gave them arms, training, and munitions. Afghanistan became the Russians' Vietnam. The Russians finally pulled out of there.

Within 10 years, they turned on us.

by Anonymousreply 2804/08/2013

No, OP, Nothing happened in the 70s at all. It was the 'ludes.

by Anonymousreply 3104/08/2013

Aren't you glad you asked, OP?

by Anonymousreply 3304/08/2013

The Zionists settled; they did not colonize. The British hoped to maintain influence in the Middle East by running the mandate, but the Zionists were not interested in being a colony of Great Britain. They were building the institutions necessary to be an independent nation decades prior to 1948. The Zionists built a modern nation while its Arab neighbors were content to languish in the 19th century (at best) and be manipulated by the British or French. The Zionists built businesses and introduced modern farming techniques which attracted Arabs from Syria, Lebanon and Egypt who wanted jobs paying decent wages. Arab employers resented the Jewish employers who paid higher wages to their workers.

by Anonymousreply 3404/08/2013

Also at the time of the First Crusade, Pope Urban had armies gathering all around Europe that he planned to send to the Holy Land. The army of knights that gathered in Germany, didn't go on the Crusade. Instead, they stayed in Germany and attacked the Jews. (Did you think it started with Hitler?)

by Anonymousreply 3504/08/2013

Americans were NOT thinking of Israel until 1967 and the six day war.

No one was giving a damn about the middle east. And ever since then, it's been one shitty thing after the next.

by Anonymousreply 3604/08/2013

The Middle East has existed for millennia before the U.S.

Even the earliest American colonists had heard of Solomon, Saladin, Richard Coeur de Leon, the Crusades, Damascus, Jerusalem, Alexandria, Mecca, Cleopatra, Jesus, Moses, Muhamad, the Apostles, Petra, Antioch, Aleppo, Baghdad, Omar Khayam, etc.

by Anonymousreply 3704/08/2013

But the question was, when did America start noticing the Middle East. I think I answered the question.

by Anonymousreply 3904/08/2013

8 p.m., Saturday, September 18, 1965

by Anonymousreply 4004/08/2013

[quote]Isn't it funny how Zionists use the example of the Native Americans to justify theft from Palestinians

Cite, please? I have never seen a Zionist use that example.

by Anonymousreply 4204/08/2013

WWI-1920s. An American journalist publicized (and romanticized) Lawrence of Arabia and the Arab nomads. Started a fad and became part of 20s popular culture. Think of the silent "Sheik of Araby" movies. Huge hit for Valentino.

by Anonymousreply 4304/08/2013

Isn't it funny how anti-Zionists

[quote]to justify theft from Palestinians

pretend the Jews owned no property in the mandate prior to independence, pretend all the land the Jews hold was taken from Palestinians, and ignore the ethnic cleansing of Jews (and seizure of their property) from the West Bank and East Jerusalem by the Jordanian army. Well, no, that isn't funny at all. And it's not at all funny that they pretend that all the Palestinians who in 1948 left what is now Israel were forced out, when very few Arabs were forced, and that minority was forced out for military reasons.

by Anonymousreply 4404/08/2013

[quote] but not a single Arab has a claim

And it's also not funny that anti-Zionists ignore the fact that Arabs have sued for their property in Israeli courts and won.

by Anonymousreply 4504/08/2013

For people in their 50s, 60s and older, the terrorists who invaded the 1972 Summer Olympic Games in Munich was a landmark in having the Middle East enter the American consciousness

by Anonymousreply 4604/08/2013

[quote]To the victors, go the spoils

Live by the sword, die by the sword

by Anonymousreply 4704/09/2013

You youngsters are precious. Really.

by Anonymousreply 4804/09/2013

For me, it was the school bus massacre in 1970. Dead Israeli schoolchildren hanging out of bus windows. It was the first I'd heard of this kind of terror, targeting school children.

by Anonymousreply 5204/09/2013

R51 Oh, please.

by Anonymousreply 5304/09/2013

So when the earliest Americans thought about Jesus they thought he was born where exactly if not in the Middle East (or Near East).... in Plymouth?

by Anonymousreply 5404/09/2013

R15 wins!

by Anonymousreply 5504/09/2013

If by American, you mean U.S. citizenship, then

July 4, 1776

by Anonymousreply 5704/10/2013

The United States need to stop trying to bring peace in the Middle East. The Israelis don't want it and the Palestinians don't want it and they only go along with the current American Administration so as not to appear unreasonable. The only ones who profit from all this are the Israeli Right and the Palestinian Left, who only make the peace process even more impossible.

by Anonymousreply 5804/08/2014

I've always wondered what the world today would be like if they gave the Jews Wyoming to settle as a homeland.

I remember when the Shah was overthrown and the Ayatollah Khomeni took over. It was the first time I'd seen American flags being burned and people chanting Death to America on TV. It was unnerving. I was afraid he'd take over the world.

by Anonymousreply 5904/08/2014

R46: I think that was the incident that brought the Middle East & its problems front & center for America & the world.

by Anonymousreply 6004/08/2014

The PLO started taking hostages and attacking civilian targets, showing Islam's true nature.

by Anonymousreply 6204/09/2014

I am 64. For me, in my childhood I thought of the Middle East as a romantic place containing oasises (or whatever the plural of oasis is), camels, nomads, people in villages getting water at wells, and other such pleasant stuff.

Then I learned about cutting off right hands for minor infractions and the oppression of women and I didn't feel so good about it any more.

In the 1970s I followed the Shah's ouster from Iran and other Persian troubles, along with becoming more informed about the travails of Israel. In college I had a friend from Lebanon and she filled me in on her family's history and what it was like living in Lebanon.

Also in college in my world geography class I picked Iraq for my presentation. Learned about their nationalization of oil and western meddling.

So for me, the 1970s was when I got seriously interested in the history and politics in the Middle East.

by Anonymousreply 6304/09/2014

The question remains: Why do the United States have to solve all the world's problems; in the Middle East and elsewhere?

by Anonymousreply 6404/09/2014

What is this practice of arming rebels in the country to overthrow it? The rebels are usually psychos and thieves.

by Anonymousreply 6504/09/2014

It's R13 for the win.

by Anonymousreply 6604/10/2014

1)Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat on Broadway

2) an Olympics in ? Munich in the early 70's. Didn't some Israeli athletes get shot by Arabs?

2) "Jewish" ScarJo peddling fizzy water made by slave labour in the West Bank (a 21st century twist on "Arbeit macht frei")

3) when that Saudi princeling bought that fab manse on Sunset in the 80's and put up faux Greek statues painted in weirdly sexual detail (pubic hair. etc)

4) Queen Rania of Jordan getting a nose job and poorly fitting couture garb and foisting herself on us as a Middle Eastern version of Jackie O

5) "Death of a Princess" that grainy video from the 80's? showing a Saudi Princess and her lover being beheaded

6). The death of Princess Diana with that Arab miscreant Dodi

by Anonymousreply 6704/10/2014

I see your point R66 ( and of course r13) but does that qualify as American consciousness? As a political variable it does but the average American was unaware.

by Anonymousreply 6804/10/2014
Need more help? Click Here.