Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Baroness Thatcher dead following a stroke

It's breaking on BBC now.

by Anonymousreply 36904/20/2013

End of an era! I grew up in her Britain. Didn't like it at all, especially as a young gay peson, but, looking back, I think some of the aggressive opposition was too hyped up and the Britain she inherited certainly needed changing. Anyway, what can one say. Her last years weren't happy.

by Anonymousreply 104/08/2013

yay

by Anonymousreply 204/08/2013

God I hope we don't have any Thatcher supporters here. She was the Ronald Reagan of the UK: a woman whose only interest was to protect the rich, ignore the gays, and hurt the poor.

by Anonymousreply 304/08/2013

Margaret Thatcher Naked On A Cold Day! Margaret Thatcher Naked On A Cold Day! Margaret Thatcher Naked On A Cold Day!

by Anonymousreply 404/08/2013

"Margaret Thatcher on TV/ Shocked by the deaths that took place in Beijing..."

by Anonymousreply 504/08/2013

Yes! A day to celebrate

by Anonymousreply 604/08/2013

Ding Dong....

by Anonymousreply 704/08/2013

This will give Cameron a chance to act like a smarmy "man of history", making pompous little speeches about what a "great leader" she was and other bs like that.

by Anonymousreply 804/08/2013

Which old bitch?

The wicked bitch!

by Anonymousreply 904/08/2013

It's sad, that scumbag didn't feel the pain she forced many to go through. She didn't feel anything in her last years. She was a tomato. Lucky bitch!

by Anonymousreply 1004/08/2013

Hopefully "Ding dong the witch is dead" will trend on Twitter. A quick search already shows many tweeting it.

by Anonymousreply 1104/08/2013

One can confirm one is still alive

by Anonymousreply 1204/08/2013

I hope this bitch doesn't get canonized in death like Reagan did.

by Anonymousreply 1304/08/2013

Wake up - sleepy head, rub your eyes, get out of bed.

Wake up, the Wicked Witch is dead. She's gone where the goblins go,

Below - below - below. Yo-ho, let's open up and sing and ring the bells out.

Ding Dong' the merry-oh, sing it high, sing it low.

Let them know

The Wicked Witch is dead!

by Anonymousreply 1404/08/2013

One down and one to go.

by Anonymousreply 1504/08/2013

I can only presume that the rock in hell set aside for her is finally up to the right temperature.

by Anonymousreply 1604/08/2013

Meryl?

by Anonymousreply 1704/08/2013

All I can say is Meryl Streep's portrayal of her looked really hammy. The same with that Julia Child performance.

by Anonymousreply 1904/08/2013

Tweet from the "Diana in Heaven" account: Nope. She's not here.

by Anonymousreply 2004/08/2013

Poor Maggie! She lived to see Nelson Mandela become not just President of South Africa, but much more adored than she would ever be!!!

by Anonymousreply 2104/08/2013

Baroness is a wonderful title! How do I get one?

by Anonymousreply 2204/08/2013

Too bad Thatcher has been reinvented as a saint by the masses in Britain, especially with the younger generation. :sigh: She's looked upon as a tough woman, who stood on principal, and stopped the dole queens. 'She made Britain a force to be reckoned with. She took down the Soviet Union.' This, along with a bunch of other crap, is spread and believed today. Had she dropped dead sooner, none of that would have happened. They simply do not remember. Britain is so fucked up right now, conservatism looks good: scapegoating, anti-immigration, the works. Thatcher is Britain's Reagan, and like Reagan, she's something to aspire to. That film didn't help matters either.

Man, watch the outpouring of emotions today.

by Anonymousreply 2304/08/2013

"First Female PM"

Here we go...

by Anonymousreply 2404/08/2013

Watch Meryl be called in to make a speech. I hope she goes in character.

by Anonymousreply 2504/08/2013

She spent the last 34 years rotting from within and being generally mean-spirited and rotten to the core, and now the old bag of worms is dead.

by Anonymousreply 2604/08/2013

Like Reagan, she held on with the loss of her marbles.

by Anonymousreply 2704/08/2013

Can't wait until Nancy Reagan's dead. That will truly be the end of the Reagan years. Can't care less about Babs and George. They're small potatoes, linked to his own failed presidency, and the worst president the country has ever seen. Nancy is the last of that era.

by Anonymousreply 2804/08/2013

r29 doesn't know his history.

by Anonymousreply 3004/08/2013

There's nothing to celebrate. George Bush Sr and Dick Cheney are still here on life support.

by Anonymousreply 3204/08/2013

I have a related question. I was watching Brassed Off, the movie about the coal mine band with Ewan McGregor, and I'm wondering if Thatcher's Government made the right decision when they closed all those coal mines. There was certainly a renaissance in coal in the USA shortly after that.

If they had held on a bit longer, would those mines be booming today?

by Anonymousreply 3304/08/2013

Fox News will have black bunting strewn all over their set.

by Anonymousreply 3404/08/2013

Perhaps R29 is still grief-stricken from news of Mussolini's death.

by Anonymousreply 3504/08/2013

"[R30] - Actually, I do. I've read all of her books. Have you?"

Well, there's the problem right there.

by Anonymousreply 3604/08/2013

Wow, another breaking news story I read first on DL. Thanks, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3704/08/2013

I'd say it was a stroke of genius on God's part.

by Anonymousreply 3804/08/2013

Will the Obama's attend her funeral? What will Michelle wear?

by Anonymousreply 3904/08/2013

What a waste of reading time, R31

DL is the best. You read it here first

by Anonymousreply 4004/08/2013

Cuntiest cunt who ever cunted.

The lady wasn't for turning. She also wasn't for human compassion, either.

Or, based on her facial expression, a regular bowel movement.

by Anonymousreply 4104/08/2013

More Debt, Poor children, Killed income levels, Inflation out of control….

The conservative party promised to put the British economy back on track; however, within a year of getting elected inflation soared from 11.4% in June 1979 to 21% in June of 1980. Within a few years, unemployment also soared to more than three million people. When she took power in 19790 public debt  stood at £88.5 billion, when she left office in 1990 it was at £151.9 billion.

Another revealing statistics is the rate of bankruptcies, in 1979 there were 3,500 bankruptcies in Britain, and in 1990 that number jumped to 13,987 bankruptcies with an average increase of 40% every year. The heaviest price paid for by Thatcherism was not entirely economic but social. Crime rate doubled during the 1980’s. In 1979 there was one in nine children living in poverty in the United Kingdom. By 1990 that ratio would be one in three, the highest in the developed world. The percentage of the population living below 50% of median income, after housing costs, jumped from 6% in 1979 to 14% in 1990. After factoring our right wing fantasies it is clear her economic legacy was filled with results her supporters should denounce not idealize.

by Anonymousreply 4204/08/2013

The US will send the Deputy Secretary of Education as its emissary. Hopefully he doesn't ruin his shoes when he's done pissing on her grave.

by Anonymousreply 4304/08/2013

Now she can join her best buddy Ronnie in hell

by Anonymousreply 4404/08/2013

Gareth Heaney ‏@Gheaney30:

[quote]Seems that Thatcher has decided to check in to her premier suite in the firey depths of hell #dingdong

by Anonymousreply 4504/08/2013

Hopefully, this will inspire the English to reverse everything she did and supported. Time for a new, vibrant opposition to the greed, horrible policies, destruction of Britain and corruption of the Thatcher-onwards period(1980-2013).

by Anonymousreply 4604/08/2013

Though my natural tendency is to loathe Maggie Thatcher, Milk Snatcher, Britain WAS a mess before Thatcher. It was in total decline and teetering on the brink of becoming a third world country. So Maggie did probably lay the foundations for its resurgence. Hate to admit it though.

by Anonymousreply 4704/08/2013

Happy to see #nostatefuneral trending in the UK. Fitting too.

by Anonymousreply 4804/08/2013

From the web site Dangerous Minds:

MARGARET THATCHER IS (FINALLY) DEAD

Good fucking riddance, too.

It may seem churlish to revel in the death of anyone, but in the case of someone like Baroness Thatcher (or Andrew Breitbart) taking a final bow, I think throwing one last rotten tomato is appropriate.

That horrible old witch was 87. May she rot in Hell.

by Anonymousreply 5004/08/2013

Did someone wave a bottle of poppers under Milky Loads' nose when he became overwhelmed by news of his master's death?

by Anonymousreply 5104/08/2013

When England was the whore of the world, Margaret was her madam

And the future looked as bright and as clear as the black tarmacadam

Well I hope that she sleeps well at night, isn't haunted by every tiny detail

'Cos when she held that lovely face in her hands all she thought of was betrayal

by Anonymousreply 5204/08/2013

The video on the Guardian website is remarkably balanced: " She removed the log jam in government, but failed to convince the British people of the merits of economic individualism".

by Anonymousreply 5304/08/2013

The Telegraph: "We have closed comments on articles about Baroness Thatcher out of respect. Please email your thoughts to thatchermemories@telegraph.co.uk"

Think they'll dare have a moment's silence at the Manc derby tonight?

by Anonymousreply 5504/08/2013

Too bad she never did anything that was good, for the people.

by Anonymousreply 5604/08/2013

R54: Just because she had a vagina doesn't mean she had a soul.

by Anonymousreply 5704/08/2013

This is a recent pic of her from last year. I'll give her some credit, at least she aged better than Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 5804/08/2013

I say stand down Margaret stand down please

would you give a second thought would you ever give a damn, I doubt it stand down Margaret? everybody shout it stand down Margaret!

by Anonymousreply 5904/08/2013

Margaret Thatcher Has Died From A Strike

by Anonymousreply 6004/08/2013

See you soon, Maggie.

by Anonymousreply 6104/08/2013

Long may she be remembered. Thusly.

by Anonymousreply 6204/08/2013

Odd that both she and Reagan ended up senile.

by Anonymousreply 6304/08/2013

My relatives in Ireland are celebrating. My uncles, and a few aunts, were quite drunk. My cousins don't quite understand but they are all pretty young and only know of her from the stories the family tells.

by Anonymousreply 6404/08/2013

I thought that old cow had died decades ago.

by Anonymousreply 6604/08/2013

Goodbye you pernicious cunt.

by Anonymousreply 6704/08/2013

[quote]of South Africa, but much more adored than she would ever be!!!

SKY News will whitewash her support for Apartheid.

by Anonymousreply 6804/08/2013

[quote] See you soon, Maggie. by: Nelson

Oh, if we're playin by that paradigm, then even then I doubt think there will be much chance of Maggie and Nelson crossing paths.

by Anonymousreply 6904/08/2013

[quote] "We have closed comments on articles about Baroness Thatcher out of respect. Please email your thoughts to thatchermemories@telegraph.co.uk"

Hilarious. The Guardian commenting is still open, and is about 90% anti-Thatcher. I imagie it will be closed down soon as well, just as the Guardian did for the Pope.

by Anonymousreply 7004/08/2013

RIP Margaret Thatcher.

by Anonymousreply 7104/08/2013

She truly was Satan's handmaiden.

by Anonymousreply 7204/08/2013

She was not a "grown-up." She was a simple minded gangster. Her evil as far as the USA was concerned was less her militarism than her corruption. Before Thatcher set an example of privatization and corruption in business, American conservatives cherished public education, public utilities, and public goods as uniquely successful American principles. Her Britcon idea of farming everything out based on political bribes, in effect creating a national version of the old time city political machine, was something that American conservatives began to adopt during the Reagan years, and it is their entire soul now.

by Anonymousreply 7304/08/2013

She was one of the few Tories to vote for the decriminalization of homosexuality in the UK in the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 7404/08/2013

[quote]I can't believe people are actually celebrating someone's death.

Oh my...you are just too precious for words.

Are you four? Or just ridiculously naive? She was a polarizing figure at best. Her policies are still controversial nearly a quarter century after she left office. Yes, there are people who dislike her, though not in your rarefied little bubble, clearly.

by Anonymousreply 7504/08/2013

As if Cher will ever die!

by Anonymousreply 7604/08/2013

This thread is proof that freepers and log cabinettes post among us.

by Anonymousreply 7704/08/2013

Bad luck for anyone famous who dies today or tomorrow then, as they will get minimum coverage ... don't well-known people always die in 3's ?

by Anonymousreply 7804/08/2013

Yes R78. maybe we can get Nancy and Barbara too

by Anonymousreply 7904/08/2013

[quote] RIP Margaret Thatcher.

Yes, and rest in peace the public railways, and the formerly public libraries, and the educational system, and the food industry, and nearly a rest-in-peace for the last of our National Health Service which despite her and subsequent administrations still marches valiantly on...

While I never rejoice in anyone's death, to hagiographise Maggie Thatcher Milk Snatcher is DEEPLY FUCKING IMMORAL.

by Anonymousreply 8004/08/2013

From my man Ken Livingstone:

"She created today's housing crisis. She created the banking crisis. And she created the benefits crisis. It was her government that started putting people on incapacity benefit rather than register them as unemployed because the Britain she inherited was broadly full employment. She decided when she wrote off our manufacturing industry that she could live with two or three million unemployed, and the benefits bill, the legacy of that, we are struggling with today. In actual fact, every real problem we face today is the legacy of the fact that she was fundamentally wrong."

by Anonymousreply 8104/08/2013

People in Northern Britain - Liverpool, Manchester etc - will be packing the pubs tonight in celebration. She devastated those working class communities.

I would say I'd dance on her grave, but I wouldn't want to be sloshing around in all the piss.

by Anonymousreply 8204/08/2013

Meryl must be devastated.

by Anonymousreply 8304/08/2013

I hope "Billy Elliot" is still running over there so no one forgets what a fucking piece of shit she was.

by Anonymousreply 8404/08/2013

Plans have begun for Margaret Thatcher's state funeral.

It'll be the first time ever the 21 gun salute is fired into the coffin.

by Anonymousreply 8504/08/2013

And the poll tax made her even more endearing!

by Anonymousreply 8604/08/2013

remember the sleazy son? so slime-covered he wasn't allowed to live in the U.S. or fucking Monaco?

by Anonymousreply 8704/08/2013

She disapproved and tore down anything state-related.

She does not deserve a state funeral paid for by the taxpayers.

by Anonymousreply 8804/08/2013

There's blood on your hands, Mrs. Thatcher!

by Anonymousreply 8904/08/2013

Maybe people can protest outside the funeral

by Anonymousreply 9004/08/2013

LOL, R85!!!

by Anonymousreply 9104/08/2013

Shouldn't they just dump her coffin in the Thames:

[bold]Downing Street says Lady Thatcher will be accorded the same status of funeral as the Queen Mother and Princess Diana, but will not lie in state, in accordance with her own wishes.[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 9204/08/2013

I enjoyed my acting role as the mosaic Mrs. Thatcher. But now that she's gone, I believe Glenn Close's range is best suited to play the next part, that of Margaret lying in a box.

by Anonymousreply 9304/08/2013

What about Section 28, R74?

by Anonymousreply 9404/08/2013

[italic]President Obama continues: "As an unapologetic supporter of our transatlantic alliance, she knew that with strength and resolve we could win the Cold War and extend freedom's promise.

"[bold]Here in America, many of us will never forget her standing shoulder to shoulder with President Reagan, reminding the world that we are not simply carried along by the currents of history - we can shape them with moral conviction, unyielding courage and iron will.[/bold]"

US President Barack Obama says "the world has lost one of the great champions of freedom and liberty, and America has lost a true friend".

Baroness Thatcher, he says, "shows our daughters" there is no glass ceiling that cannot be shattered, adding: "As prime minister, she helped restore the confidence and pride that has always been the hallmark of Britain at its best".[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 9504/08/2013

Its amusing to see the BBC newsreaders looking flustered as if they have not handled a major story like this before - looks like they changed into black clothes as well ...

by Anonymousreply 9604/08/2013

[quote]I can't believe people are actually celebrating someone's death.

But it was OK that she did, right? It was OK that she caused death/destruction, right?

Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 9704/08/2013

Thatcher described Nelson Mandela as a "terrorist". I was there. I saw her lips move. May she burn in the hellfires.

by Anonymousreply 9804/08/2013

SINK IT!

by Anonymousreply 9904/08/2013

[italic]Actress Meryl Streep, who won an Oscar in 2012 for playing Lady Thatcher in The Iron Lady, has paid tribute, describing her as a "figure of awe for her personal strength and grit".

She says: "I was honoured to try to imagine her late life journey, after power; [bold]but I have only a glancing understanding of what her many struggles were[/bold], and how she managed to sail through to the other side. I wish to convey my respectful condolences to her family and many friends."[/italic]

As evident from your performance, M.

by Anonymousreply 10004/08/2013

Ugh @ Obama and Meryl. But especially Obama.

by Anonymousreply 10104/08/2013

In my opinion, a big cock can feel great inside me. There IS such a thing as TOO BIG though. I also love average sized wangers as well. Too small (under 5") can be an issue with me. That's my take on the matter.

by Anonymousreply 10304/08/2013

Please tell me that someone held a gun to his head or threatened his family's welfare and forced him to say that. Please tell me that Obama did not really write that about a conservative white woman who trampled on the lives of so many people our colour.

by Anonymousreply 10404/08/2013

R82, anyone in nothern England or Scotland hearing someone refer to "northern Britain" is more likely to want to punch that person in the face.

by Anonymousreply 10504/08/2013

Quelle surprise that R102 is also R29.

by Anonymousreply 10604/08/2013

Do you still think my husband was a worse prime minister than the old dead cowbag?

by Anonymousreply 10704/08/2013

R106 - congratulations Miss Fletcher.

by Anonymousreply 10804/08/2013

Boo-fucking-hoo.

by Anonymousreply 10904/08/2013

[bold] Rep. Stockman On How To Honor Thatcher: ‘Crush Liberalism’ And Sweep It ‘Into The Dustbin Of History’ [/bold]

by Anonymousreply 11004/08/2013

The rest of M's statement:

“Margaret Thatcher was to me a figure of awe for her personal strength and grit. I was honoured to try to imagine her late life journey, after power; but I have only a glancing understanding of what her many struggles were, and how she managed to sail through to the other side.”

[bold]“To have withstood the special hatred and ridicule, unprecedented in my opinion, leveled in our time at a public figure who was not a mass murderer; and to have managed to keep her convictions attached to fervent ideals and ideas - wrongheaded or misguided as we might see them now-without corruption - I see that as evidence of some kind of greatness, worthy for the argument of history to settle.”

“To have given women and girls around the world reason to supplant fantasies of being princesses with a different dream: the real-life option of leading their nation; this was groundbreaking and admirable.”[/bold]

Uh, so she's OK, because she wasn't a mass murderer? OK, M.

by Anonymousreply 11104/08/2013

I don't think I could crush him...except maybe with a baseball bat?

by Anonymousreply 11204/08/2013

R103? Are you Maggie speaking from beyond the grave?

by Anonymousreply 11304/08/2013

Congratulations on using a dated reference to nail me, R108. It really stung.

Not shocking since you're clearly stuck in that time with your heroine-worship of this witch.

by Anonymousreply 11404/08/2013

Like the other poster upthread At r64 with relatives in Northern Ireland, my family there is drunk and happy. We lost several family members because of this bitch and her fucked policies toward Northern Ireland. May she burn in hell

by Anonymousreply 11504/08/2013

Cher (still alive!) is still trending in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 11604/08/2013

R105, that's weird, because I am from Northern England. Here was me thinking England and Scotland were part of Britain. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 11804/08/2013

It did, R117?

Don't know which nerve it would hit since I never watched the show and I thought it was a cheesy, antiquated line, but OK.

by Anonymousreply 12004/08/2013

'There is no such thing as society.'

'Home is where you go when you've nowhere else to go.'

'Why should we drool and drivel that we care?'

The above are just some of her wise and humane words of leadership.

Thatcher was so unpopular and monomaniacal at the end that she was sacked by her own Cabinet. That's when she shed tears of self-pity. Evidently at that point unemployment wasn't 'a price worth paying.'

She'll be as sharply divisive in death as in life. Murdoch's rags will canonise her, because she gave him carte blanche to break the print unions. In turn he published more or less what she wanted. At least The Guardian and The Mirror assessments will be more realistic.

Younger people tempted to think she was the second coming should watch the outstanding Ken Loach documentary recently released, 'The Spirit of '45.' If anyone tried to wipe that magnificent spirit from history, Thatcher did.

She doesn't deserve a state funeral. The Queen Mother, fair enough. Diana, certainly. But Thatcher doesn't deserve to be on a par with Churchill. She caused too much damage. She didn't love her country enough, and her country doesn't love her.

We won't cry for you, Margaret Thatcher.

by Anonymousreply 12104/08/2013

Palin agrees with Obama:

[bold]Sarah Palin, former Alaska governor writes on Facebook: While the Iron Lady is sadly gone, her iron will, her unfailing trust in what is right and just, and her lessons to all of us will live on forever. She was a trailblazer like no other. We lost an icon, but her legacy, as solid as iron, will live on in perpetuity.[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 12204/08/2013

[quote] I really hope we don't see celebrating and nasty comments from liberals all day.

Piss off back to Free Republic, FReeper shitstain.

by Anonymousreply 12404/08/2013

[quote]To have withstood the special hatred and ridicule, unprecedented in my opinion, leveled in our time at a public figure who was not a mass murderer

Meryl is comparing Thatcher favourably with George Bush.

[quote]to have managed to keep her convictions attached to fervent ideals and ideas - wrongheaded or misguided as we might see them now - without corruption - I see that as evidence of some kind of greatness

Meryl is hedging her bets.

by Anonymousreply 12604/08/2013

[quote]As Meryl Streep and Helen Mirren have said, although they didn't agree with her conservative ideas, she showed to girls that women could be successful, intelligent leaders.

She showed that they could be just as evil and destructive as men and ruin lives and countries in exactly the same way.

What a horrid woman.

by Anonymousreply 12704/08/2013

Surely you can't be THAT stupid, R124.

A FReeper is someone who hangs out on Free Republic and is a right-wing conservative shitstain, such as yourself.

by Anonymousreply 12804/08/2013

R127, don't forget that showed us want we don't want to be and she showed brown-skinned people that she thought we were inferior, not adequate enough to qualify for the same human rights and equality that she accused the Soviets of stamping on.

by Anonymousreply 13004/08/2013

Obama is once again proving there's little daylight between him and Bush. Why would he dare, even in an attempt to be diplomatic, join in on the canonization of that old bitch? I'm so looking forward to vomiting over his comments about Dick Cheney when that old crone kicks it.

by Anonymousreply 13204/08/2013

What are you doing here, R131, if you're not gay?

by Anonymousreply 13304/08/2013

Last time I checked R133, this is a public web forum, open to all on the internet.

by Anonymousreply 13704/08/2013

And just because I'm not gay doesn't mean I'm not part of the GLBT community.

by Anonymousreply 13904/08/2013

In watching the BBC coverage, I have to say I've never seen a man over 40 with such smooth, baby soft-looking skin like David Cameron.

by Anonymousreply 14004/08/2013

The Daily Telegraph editor tweets:

We have closed comments on every #Thatcher story today - even our address to email tributes is filled with abuse

by Anonymousreply 14104/08/2013

R142, you actually had me until you lowered yourself to trashing Michelle. What the hell did she do? I find her quite attractive and I'm glad she's starting to acquaint herself with the notion of being a single mother. She's married to a craven liar who has no true sense of right and wrong.

by Anonymousreply 14404/08/2013

R104, that is how adults behave. Maybe he'll cheer behind the scenes, but publicly bashing her would only give fuel to the right wing. That must be what you want?

by Anonymousreply 14504/08/2013

David Cameron now speaking LIVE from 10 Downing Street

by Anonymousreply 14704/08/2013

R131/R139, yes, it's a public forum, so since this is a public board with what right are you telling people to piss off?

by Anonymousreply 14804/08/2013

[quote]a public figure who was not a mass murderer

She didn't kill people, she did worse Meryl. She killed an entire middle class and working class.

Dumb bitch, go stick your Oscar up your cunt.

by Anonymousreply 14904/08/2013

[quote]she showed to girls that women could be successful, intelligent leaders.

No, Eleanor Roosevelt showed that. Thatcher showed that a dumb bitch could be as immoral and conniving as men if it meant getting some power. I mean, are men supposed to look up to Hitler because he was a forceful leader who stood by his principles?

by Anonymousreply 15004/08/2013

"We're havin' a party when Thatcher dies" - at least they are in Glasgow.

Twitter reporting a conga line has formed in the square.

by Anonymousreply 15104/08/2013

[quote]Department of State

#SecKerry on death of Margaret Thatcher: the US has lost a dear friend, world has lost a transformative leader.

by Anonymousreply 15204/08/2013

Successful in her own terms obviously, but there's little evidence that she was specially intelligent.

No interview revealed any cultural interests. She was a philistine machine politician, only interested in money and power, and set the tone in her country accordingly.

by Anonymousreply 15304/08/2013

Following the death of Baroness Thatcher today there is no doubt that she inspired strong feelings on either side but, as well as being the first female British PM, she was also, along with Attlee, the most significant PM since the war, and in that sense her place in history is assured! Like Reagan and FDR in the US, Thatcher and Attlee in the UK were the most significant leaders of the last century!

by Anonymousreply 15404/08/2013

Yes R94, that should never even be mentioned. That evil policy is Thatcher's legacy for the gays, no matter what Cameron does we will never forget. My life at school was hell because of it.

She really lost it toward the end with that and the Poll Tax which was charmingly tested out on Scotland first leaving the Tories dead forever there. She is what led to devolution and there will be parties all over here tonight.

by Anonymousreply 15504/08/2013

[quote]Sarah Palin, former Alaska governor writes on Facebook: While the Iron Lady is sadly gone, her iron will, her unfailing trust in what is right and just, and her lessons to all of us will live on forever. She was a trailblazer like no other. We lost an icon, but her legacy, as solid as iron, will live on in perpetuity.

Even her eulogies are vapid and without substance. Do you think Mrs. Palin could come up with examples of what Thatcher actually [italic]did[/italic] to deserve these platitudes? Nope.

by Anonymousreply 15604/08/2013

I like you, R150.

A-fucking-men.

by Anonymousreply 15704/08/2013

Kerry's statement sure is a read between the lines one.

by Anonymousreply 15804/08/2013

Sen Dianne Feinstein

[quote]Lady Thatcher was an invaluable ally to the U.S. and the very definition of a strong leader who redefined politics for generations of women.

by Anonymousreply 15904/08/2013

It must be said, Mrs. Thatcher worked terribly hard to make sure that millions of people lost their jobs and 1/3 of the country's children were in poverty.

by Anonymousreply 16004/08/2013

On the BBC, they're interviewing people from her old constituency.

Does anyone under 90 live in Finchley?

by Anonymousreply 16104/08/2013

R155, I was at school during the Clause 28 thing (which was not actually government policy but a private member's bill) and I really can't claim that it made my life hell. In fact, it gave me an opportunity to talk about being gay and how schools could respond to that.

I was also at primary school when she stopped free milk as education minister. But, really, would any British government today be taken seriously if it proposed giving primary school kids free milk? At some point, that policy was going to stop.

Thatcher was a nasty person because she had an incredibly nasty, divisive style. But, there are a lot of things she and her governments did that as a teenager I claimed to be outraged and furious about even though I wasn't always really sure why. For example, her young people's enterprise allowance scheme, which gave young people grants and benefits to start up enterprises. That was utterly condemned by the "left" at the time because it was supposedly about brainwashing young people into being capitalists as opposed to providing them with more unemployment benefits. Today, such enterprise allowance schemes would be considered a great idea by people across the political spectrum. And today, with the internet, mobile phones, digital media, does anyone really think a state-owned British Telecom monopoly would be able to provide us with all the services we need or keep up with technological developments?

by Anonymousreply 16204/08/2013

[quote] But, really, would any British government today be taken seriously if it proposed giving primary school kids free milk? At some point, that policy was going to stop.

If the rate of child poverty rose from 1 in 9 to 1 in 3 during her tenure, surely this alone would suggest it's a good idea. Even in the U.S. reduced or free school lunches are available depending on family income. Sadly, these crappy breakfasts and lunches are the backbone of some children's nutritional intake.

by Anonymousreply 16304/08/2013

Can somebody explain what Section 28 is?

by Anonymousreply 16404/08/2013

Tottenham socialists/progressives in North London (who are quite radicalised) had a banner and a megaphone out on the High Street this evening too. Not everyone is engaging in Reaganesque epitaphs. (It certainly doesn't seem that way in Glasgow!)

by Anonymousreply 16504/08/2013

Great. Now you can't even open the Guardian site due to heavy site traffic. There's just a big frigging picture of Thatcher and that's all.

by Anonymousreply 16604/08/2013

Seems Downing St. is getting the message.

No state funeral for Margaret Thatcher Former prime minister will get a ceremonial funeral – one step below a state funeral – at St Paul's Cathedral, says No 10

by Anonymousreply 16704/08/2013

Here ya go R164

by Anonymousreply 16804/08/2013

Burn the bitch and throw her cremains in the ocean. Any ocean.

by Anonymousreply 16904/08/2013

Glasgow is certainly partying tonight. Hopefully Thatcher would admire their conviction, held as strongly as she held her own.

by Anonymousreply 17004/08/2013

I wonder if there are "Ding, Dong" parties everywhere tonight.

by Anonymousreply 17104/08/2013

The event that makes me ill is that she allowed 10 men to die on hunger strike in The Maze prison. That's revolting. She had a real cruel streak in her.

by Anonymousreply 17204/08/2013

Died at The Ritz, where she'd been for some time. Quite a trajectory from the grocery shop where she started.

by Anonymousreply 17304/08/2013

The Bells of Hell go ting-a-ling-a-ling'

For you but not for me.

All the little devils, how they sing-a-ling-a-ling,

For you but not for me.

Oh! Death, where is thy sting-a-ling-a-ling?

Oh! Grave, thy victory?

The Bells of Hell go ting-a-ling-a-ling

For you but not for me.

by Anonymousreply 17404/08/2013

Actually R30 you do not know your history. She accomplished some good things for the UK that eventually benefitted it's middle and lower classes because she completely revitalized the British economy. She ended state ownership of industry which was crippling their economy. Se was able to reduce the tax bit which at the time she became PM was an average of 50% for ALL Brits. In the process they went through some hard times, but in the end she her leadership ended as social wellfare system that was dying on the vine.

Now she was pretty awful later on and she did not need to go to war in the Faulklands (sp?) etc. But it is simplistic to say she was like Reagan. She was not really. Reagan only reduced taxes and he greatly increased gov't spending. She changed the British tax codes but she also the state out of ownership of industy- which was an enormous drag on their economy. And I think most of you can agree that the highest marginal tax rate should not be at the 98% level it was at- and the average middle class persons should not be paying nearly 50% of their income in taxes.

To this day, her changes by in large stand.

There is a happy medium of too much tax and too little (for the rich in particular.) The British were well over on the too much side. We are currently on the too little side for the rich. She eventually grew the British economy enough to bring in more revenue with lower taxes, by returning industry to the private sector. Again, too much control (their problem back in the day) versus too little control (of banking currently in our day.)

by Anonymousreply 17504/08/2013

There is a massive street party in Brixton tonight as well.

by Anonymousreply 17604/08/2013

From Twitter...

[quote] KEN LOACH 'Let’s privatise her funeral. Put it out to competitive tender & accept cheapest bid. It’s what she would have wanted.'

by Anonymousreply 17704/08/2013

I want to see Loach's latest film.

[quote]Died at The Ritz, where she'd been for some time. Quite a trajectory from the grocery shop where she started.

Didn't she have a home of her own? Why would she stay at The Ritz?

by Anonymousreply 17804/08/2013

And... I like this Don't Hate Donate campaign.

by Anonymousreply 17904/08/2013

Here's the Don't Hate Donate campaign, try #2.

by Anonymousreply 18004/08/2013

Lets have a Section 28 disco for our Thatcher party!

by Anonymousreply 18104/08/2013

Sadly the Boy George on Question Time video was taken down, but here's the story.

by Anonymousreply 18204/08/2013

[quote]Section 28 of the Local Government Act 1988 prohibited local authorities from "promoting" homosexuality or gay "pretended family relationships", and prevented councils spending money on educational materials and projects perceived to promote a gay lifestyle.

This seems eerily similar to new laws proposed in Russia against the "promotion" of homosexuality. Except that those statutes affect private citizens and organizations.

by Anonymousreply 18304/08/2013

Tee, hee. I know the "i" and "o" keys are side by side, but...

[quote]The BBC also made an embarrassing gaffe on its news mobile website on Monday afternoon, announcing that Baroness Thatcher had died “following a strike” rather than a stroke.

by Anonymousreply 18404/08/2013

rot in hell, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 18504/08/2013

Annette Funicello is bigger news.

by Anonymousreply 18604/08/2013

[quote]Didn't she have a home of her own? Why would she stay at The Ritz?

Well, to mention again one of her infamous quotes, 'home is where you go when you've nowhere else to go.' She didn't really believe in homes, more in house prices and profits.

The Ritz is famous, opulent and very expensive, in keeping with her grandiose self-image. Dying at a 'good address', no matter how impersonal, will have been important to her and her son 'Sir Mark.'

by Anonymousreply 18704/08/2013

Outspoken Morrissey tonight blasted Margaret Thatcher as "barbaric" and someone "without an atom of humanity".

The musician has been a long-time critic of the former Prime Minister and aired his views in songs like Margaret On The Guillotine.

Tonight, just hours after her death, he released a strongly-worded statement slamming the former Tory politician.

he said: "Thatcher is remembered as The Iron Lady only because she possessed completely negative traits such as persistent stubbornness and a determined refusal to listen to others.

"Every move she made was charged by negativity; she destroyed the British manufacturing industry, she hated the miners, she hated the arts, she hated the Irish Freedom Fighters and allowed them to die, she hated the English poor and did nothing at all to help them, she hated Greenpeace and environmental protectionists, she was the only European political leader who opposed a ban on the Ivory Trade, she had no wit and no warmth and even her own Cabinet booted her out."

Morrissey, whose first Smiths single Hand In Glove was released a month before Baroness Thatcher won her second term of office as Prime Minister in 1983, was highly critical of her role in the Falklands War.

He said: "She gave the order to blow up The Belgrano even though it was outside of the Malvinas Exclusion Zone - and was sailing AWAY from the islands.

"When the young Argentinean boys aboard The Belgrano had suffered a most appalling and unjust death, Thatcher gave the thumbs up sign for the British press. Iron? No. Barbaric? Yes.

"She hated feminists even though it was largely due to the progression of the women's movement that the British people allowed themselves to accept that a Prime Minister could actually be female. But because of Thatcher, there will never again be another woman in power in British politics, and rather than opening that particular door for other women, she closed it.

Morrissey, who recently cancelled a series of shows due to ill health, went on: "Thatcher will only be fondly remembered by sentimentalists who did not suffer under her leadership, but the majority of British working people have forgotten her already, and the people of Argentina will be celebrating her death.

"As a matter of recorded fact, Thatcher was a terror without an atom of humanity," he added.

by Anonymousreply 18804/08/2013

[quote]Thatcher had died “following a strike”

That's how I keep reading this very thread title, and it is poetic each time.

by Anonymousreply 18904/08/2013

"Never again" a female PM? Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 19004/08/2013

[quote]This seems eerily similar to new laws proposed in Russia against the "promotion" of homosexuality. Except that those statutes affect private citizens and organizations.

Even better!

by Anonymousreply 19104/08/2013

Meryl Streep is one of the greatest actresses in history, but she always comes across as rather stupid in interviews, and her remarks about Thatcher only give further credence to that assessment.

I've never been able to understand this dichotomy, because I've always thought a person needs to be intelligent to be a great or even a good actor, but...really, have you seen some of Streep's interviews? Maybe she's not REALLY stupid, and she just has a lot of trouble expressing herself in her own words?

As for her statement about Thatcher, I realize of course that she almost certainly didn't write it herself. But a smarter person would have realized how idiotic some of the statement sounds and would have amended it.

by Anonymousreply 19204/08/2013

When I read it, R192, I thought she didn't know much about politics in the UK in the 80s (or now).

by Anonymousreply 19404/08/2013

Harry Styles ‏@Harry_Styles 7h RIP Baroness Thatcher .x

(Anyone think he is cute now?)

by Anonymousreply 19504/08/2013

r192 I agree!

by Anonymousreply 19604/08/2013

I have to say that Ken Loach's tweet was the best. Privatize the funeral. Get bids and award it to the one with the lowest costs. Why should she go out on the public dime?

by Anonymousreply 19804/08/2013

In fairness, everyone knows Meryl is a big leftie. She doesn't need to trash Thatcher or pretend to be a political expert in a statement on her death.

by Anonymousreply 19904/08/2013

R197 - He didn't tow the line that most gays feel they have to tow apparently.

by Anonymousreply 20004/08/2013

Sometimes I think some people would have gone so far as to praise Hitler if enough of his supporters were amongst the first to issue press releases. Margaret Thatcher was evil incarnate and any tear shed for her today should be a tear of joy.

by Anonymousreply 20104/08/2013

One of the worst things she did was to use public servants as her personal tools in trade. She politicised the police - exploiting their duty to uphold the peace in her stand offs with the miners. She wanted to do the same with the army and got short shrift with that.

She treated the Scots with contempt and foisted the poll tax on them first and deliberately to see if it would fly with rest of the UK. Small wonder that the Tories were wiped out north of the border in subsequent elections and have never really recovered since.

Enough has been said about the Belgrano - that resulted in a tit-for-tat attack on the HMS Sheffield with additional loss of life. A lot of blood on her hands for her 'courage'.

by Anonymousreply 20304/08/2013

But he wasn't, idiot moron asshole R202.

by Anonymousreply 20404/08/2013

Jimmy Carter was a not a hateful, divisive and destructive figure like Thatcher was. The most his critics come up with is calling him a "wimp."

by Anonymousreply 20704/08/2013

R204. Please look up the meaning of "if"

R206 - Great point.

by Anonymousreply 20804/08/2013

r202 I don't know. Andrew Sullivan supports gay rights.

by Anonymousreply 20904/08/2013

Thought this was a good read on the topic.

by Anonymousreply 21004/08/2013

I don't need to look up the meaning of anything, R208.

Only a very insensitive person would drag Hitler into this discussion. But it takes a profoundly crueler person to amplify that by putting "Hitler" and "gay rights supporter" together in the same sentence.

I guess you're one of those g0yim to whom the pink triangle is nothing but an '80s affectation on a black button.

by Anonymousreply 21104/08/2013

If I had known that that's all it would have taken, I would have "stroked" her a long time ago. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 21204/08/2013

I was merely pointing out that people on this forum will blindly follow anyone who puts on the front of supporting anything gay without any real thought. The Hitler example, though extreme, proves the point.

by Anonymousreply 21404/08/2013

[quote]I guess you're one of those g0yim

You keep using that word--I think you do not know what it means.

by Anonymousreply 21504/08/2013

[quote]You didn't read vitriol like this when we lost Pol Pot or Saddam Hussein. That should tell you something about this place.

First of all, the DataLounge forums were in their infancy when Pol Pot died. I seriously doubt you have any fucking clue what posters had to say about his death. Secondly, I've been a member of DL from the invasion of Iraq, thru Saddam's capture and execution. You are completely full of shit if you're going to stick to some hyperbolic LIE and act like Saddam was deified here! Even though most DLers questioned the reason we went to war with Iraq, there was absolute consensus that he and his sons were monsters. Sure, there were those who insisted he brought stability to the country, but I recall just as much vitriol and snark directed toward Saddan Hussein as you're witnessing for the iron-hearted cunt who rightfully claimed her throne next to Satan today.

by Anonymousreply 21604/08/2013

Oh, I know just what goyim means. I've been one my entire life.

I spell it with the g0yim's special little zero for effect any time I talk to those idiots.

by Anonymousreply 21704/08/2013

R214, since you didn't include an identifying R###, I'm not sure who you were in the previous posts, and I'm having a hard time putting "the front of supporting anything gay" together with Margaret Thatcher.

Context. Context. Context. Gotta have context.

by Anonymousreply 21804/08/2013

Mrs Thatcher won 3 elections, Why? because of the 1970s in the UK,stupid high inflation and things like the 3 day week.She lowered inflation and kept the lights on.

If the UK has problems like the 1970s or worse again ( we will come 2015) People will then remember why she was won 3 elections.

by Anonymousreply 21904/08/2013

R218 - curious....would u take a picture of urself and ur "home"?

THaT would be context...

by Anonymousreply 22004/08/2013

r219 is obviously a product of Thatcher's education system. Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 22104/08/2013

Dear r167, why would Thatcher get a state funeral? She was not the head of state! State funerals are for the monarch and, much more rarely, and more often in much earlier centuries, victorious generals such as the Duke of Wellington. The last prime minister to have a state funeral was Winston Churchill, for his wartime leadership. Since him and, aside from Thatcher, Britain has had another seven former prime ministers who have died, none of whom had a state funeral. The fact she's been given a ceremonial funeral is intended as an honour to her.

The thing a lot of the venemous are forgetting here is that Thatcher actually had great support throughout the country. She was toppled by her own ministers because of her polemical stand on Europe, not for her social or economic policies. After her, the Tories went on to win the next two general elections and were in power for a total of 18 years. The idea that most of Britain is celebrating on the streets tonight is ridiculous.

Perhaps DLers should go and log on to their favourite British newspaper, the Daily Mail, to get another view of what many British people think of Thatcher.

She lived in the Ritz because she had nowhere else to live and no one to look after her. The Ritz owners are Thatcher fans and a few months ago, after she was hospitalised, they invited her to live there.

Her legacy is more complex than most here are allowing for. She was undoubtedly an asshole - the fact she died all alone in a hotel, without her children around her indicates that to an extent. But, much of what she introduced in Britain is fully accepted today.

by Anonymousreply 22304/08/2013

[quote]Meryl Streep is one of the greatest actresses in history, but she always comes across as rather stupid in interviews

She is smarter than you, hon. She's well-educated, and well-spoken.

by Anonymousreply 22404/08/2013

No Labour,actually.Yikes indead.

by Anonymousreply 22504/08/2013

Did Diana really get a state funeral? If so, why? She was divorced, an adulterer, etc....

by Anonymousreply 22604/08/2013

"Perhaps DLers should go and log on to their favourite British newspaper, the Daily Mail, to get another view of what many British people think of Thatcher."

I'm SHOCKED that the right-wing commenters on the right-wing Daily (Hate) Mail loved Thatcher. SHOCKED.

by Anonymousreply 22704/08/2013

[quote]And just because I'm not gay doesn't mean I'm not part of the GLBT community.

LGBT

by Anonymousreply 22904/08/2013

[quote]You didn't read vitriol like this when we lost Pol Pot or Saddam Hussein.

False equivalence, to put it mildly. The very fact of the more thoughtful critics here shows how controversial and divisive a leader Thatcher was.

For all the supposed positives her champions list there are equally strong and very damaging negatives.

Thatcher had a decidedly self-righteous aggressive streak, but to compare her with psychopathic mass-murderers is unhelpful. She was a singular democratic leader who'll always be praised and justifiably criticised. If she wanted to be liked, she chose the wrong career.

by Anonymousreply 23004/08/2013

I don't know what you expected Obama to say. I'm sure he'll be attending the funeral.

by Anonymousreply 23104/08/2013

Is it true that spontaneous joyful parties have been erupting all day long in Britain?

by Anonymousreply 23204/08/2013

Just STFU, R143.

You're quoting politicians praising her because they're all full of shit, just like her.

She is getting the reaction she deserves from the public who were subjected to her policies - with the effects felt to this day.

Just because she made history doesn't mean we're going to whitewash that history because people like you think death absolves that person of all of the destruction they unleashed during their lifetime.

The fact that the majority of the comments are negative on many sites is a testament to the negative impact she had on her country during her time, and no one should forget that about her just because she's dead.

by Anonymousreply 23304/08/2013

At the start of the Bush Fake Iraq War 2 I was stuck in a Kuwaiti elevator with a Brit. Sirens were going off, chemical and gas warnings were commencing.We were stuck and freaked out wondering if this was the initiation of attack. I turned to my partner in misery and said "God I hate the liar Bush and this bullshit war he is about to start."

Without missing a beat the Brit says, "the problem with America is that YOU keep ELECTING THEM!Reagan, Bush and Bush two. In England we had Maggie Thatcher the Milk Snatcher, and we will NEVER ELECT another one like that."

by Anonymousreply 23404/08/2013

[quote]Is it true that spontaneous joyful parties have been erupting all day long in Britain?

Yes. The Daily fail has postings about them. People dancing in streets in Brixton and elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 23504/08/2013

If you're going to compare vitriol for Saddam Hussein with that for Margaret Thatcher, you should also recognize that 1) Saddam's thread didn't have a bevy of libertarian-masturbators fapping away about his great achievements and 2) not many of those personally affected by Saddam's actions were active posters on DL.

by Anonymousreply 23604/08/2013

I commend your bravery R162, you clearly went to a better school, mine was rough. There were no out people in my year, there was only one in the entire school, a Jimmy Sommerville-esque flamer who hardly had a choice.

It's probably more the school that was the problem but Section 28 (policy was not the right word, even they wouldn't be that stupid) sure didn't help. It was the ultimate taboo to be gay, it just was never discussed unless you were unlucky enough to be bullied for it.

Some would say that they were just reflecting the time of late 80s/early 90s AIDS panic. Cameron's clumsy transparent attempts at gay rights may try to undo this, but it won't be forgotten. Times have changed but who says they have. I wish he had chosen his words better over the paedophile scandal.

And yes, I remember getting free milk at primary school and I loved it, always looked forward to it at break time. Odd how I never drank it that way since.

by Anonymousreply 23704/08/2013

Here's an article about her gay/lesbian actions:

by Anonymousreply 23804/08/2013

What would have happened without Reagan and Thatcher?

by Anonymousreply 23904/08/2013

You know, free milk may have done a lot toward addressing the teeth situation.

by Anonymousreply 24004/08/2013

[quote]She was toppled by her own ministers because of...Europe, not for her social or economic policies.

Her wilfulness over the poll tax against all reasonable Cabinet advice contributed strongly to her downfall.

After the resulting riots her judgement was clearly shown to be questionable. It greatly weakened her position.

by Anonymousreply 24104/08/2013

Memba this?

by Anonymousreply 24204/08/2013

R226, no, Diana did not get a state funeral. Why should she have? There's clearly a real confusion about what a state funeral is...

by Anonymousreply 24304/08/2013

R243 - I didn't remember that either, but faux queens were claiming she did.

by Anonymousreply 24404/08/2013

How fabulous

by Anonymousreply 24504/08/2013

[quote]What would have happened without Reagan and Thatcher?

The world would have been a better place (esp UK and US) with out them (and their policies)

by Anonymousreply 24604/08/2013

Yes, that too, r241, but Geoffrey Howe's resignation speech, which led directly to her standing down, was about concerns over her increasing bizareness on Europe. Thatcher's problem was her general stubborness. Certainly it helped her push through some measures which many in the UK would agree with now despite a lot of the hysteria at the time (unions, selling council houses, privatisations). But, it also made her a hugely polarising and unempathetic creature. Eventually, it led to her behaving like a complete lunatic. If she'd manage to have controlled that aspect of her personality then she'd be more respected by people who may not have agreed with her policies. She's still hugely respected and admired as an idol by all those - and they're not a few and certainly not all evil - who did agree with her.

by Anonymousreply 24704/08/2013

Is there some connection between the Alzheimers and extreme conservatism?

by Anonymousreply 24804/08/2013

[quote]The event that makes me ill is that she allowed 10 men to die on hunger strike in The Maze prison.

Allowed? She didn't make them stop eating. They chose death.

by Anonymousreply 24904/08/2013

From HuffPo:

Pallo Jordan, a once-exiled ANC leader, was more direct. He told the Guardian: "Good riddance."

by Anonymousreply 25004/08/2013

R175. I think it's you who may need to read. Bit of history. She sold off state owned assets without the consent of the people. Those assets are now owned privately but the British ax payers are STILL PAYING FOR THEM. That's right. Paying subsidies to private companies who make huge profits that are passed on to their shareholders. She cost the UK billions, which went into the pockets of her spiv friends. The government now spends more on these privatised industries than it did when they were state owned.

50% tax rate for all is not true and never has been.

She caused a social divide that will take years, if ever, to recover from.

The appalling harm that her policies caused to Britain is still being suffered. You obviously don't have much of a grasp about British life or attitudes. If you had you wouldn't make such ridiculous claims.

Frankie Boyle said "for the £9million her funeral will cost you could buy a shovel for every person in Scotland. They'd dig a hole deep enough to hand her over to Satan in person."

by Anonymousreply 25104/08/2013

Maggie Thatcher.

CUNT.

STILL DEAD.

by Anonymousreply 25204/08/2013

[quote]Meryl Streep is one of the greatest actresses in history, but she always comes across as rather stupid in interviews, and her remarks about Thatcher only give further credence to that assessment.

So true.

by Anonymousreply 25304/08/2013

This is terrible news for hair spray sales in Britain

by Anonymousreply 25404/08/2013

How utterly delicious. May the U.K. begin to heal after she raped it so thoroughly.

by Anonymousreply 25504/08/2013

R255. She's been out of power for quite a while. I believe the term being thrown around now is triple dip recession?

by Anonymousreply 25604/08/2013

Is it true that she suffered agonizing pain before she died?

by Anonymousreply 25704/08/2013

Two down. Waiting on Nancy now...

by Anonymousreply 25804/08/2013

[quote]Hopefully, this will inspire the English to reverse everything she did and supported.

Hahahaha!!

Quite the contrary.

by Anonymousreply 25904/08/2013

Has ayb posted yet?

by Anonymousreply 26004/08/2013

"And what was Thatcher's greatest reform? Why, of course, the Labour party. Tony Blair had to genuflect before the Thatcher shrine before the British public would elect him. The unsexing of leftwing Labour was probably the achievement of which, privately, she was most proud."

• David Mellor is a former Conservative MP. He was a minister in Margaret Thatcher's government

by Anonymousreply 26104/08/2013

Milky Loads on Mags:

by Anonymousreply 26204/08/2013

Wow r262, that piece is riddled with factual errors, faulty logic, and poor sentence structure. I've never read any of his stuff--is it usually such a poor showing?

by Anonymousreply 26304/08/2013

Sullivan still sounds like a right-wing shit-stain.

by Anonymousreply 26404/08/2013

Her Falklands War set the pattern for the Bush-Cheney invasion of Iraq.

by Anonymousreply 26504/08/2013

[quote]I said "God I hate the liar Bush and this bullshit war he is about to start."

Without missing a beat the Brit says, ". . . we had Maggie Thatcher the Milk Snatcher, and we will NEVER ELECT another one like that."

Umm, Blair is the biggest fucking liar of all and is just as responsible for the Iraq debacle--without his pretense of a "coaltion" it may never have happened. Oh, and he DID get re-elected.

by Anonymousreply 26604/08/2013

Margaret Thatcher tricked me into paying for her bread pudding!

That cunt.

by Anonymousreply 26704/09/2013

Ah, the Jewish/Israel obsession spreads to another thread.

by Anonymousreply 26904/09/2013

[quote]when the Zionist Federation brought the USA into the war on the side of the UK in exchange for the UK giving the Zionists control of Palestine.

Good Lord, r268, you're a bit of a whack job.

by Anonymousreply 27004/09/2013

You wouldn't know a fact if it kicked you in the ass. You're blinded by obsessive hate.

by Anonymousreply 27304/09/2013

The Daily Mail is going ballistic!

by Anonymousreply 27504/09/2013

Damn, why didn't we party after Reagan died?

by Anonymousreply 27604/09/2013

These people rioting and partying and looting are absolute scum, they were not even born in Thatcher's era or affected by her. Its just an excuse for anti-social behaviour by unemployable deadbeats.

by Anonymousreply 27704/09/2013

Thank you, Mitt Rmoney, r277!

by Anonymousreply 27804/09/2013

R276 - because there is a shred, albeit a small one, of respect and decency left in the country.

by Anonymousreply 27904/09/2013

There is nothing wrong with celebrating the death of a person who caused mass misery.

by Anonymousreply 28004/09/2013

We didn't celebrate when Jerry Falwell kicked the bucket. OTOH, if I ever got near the town where he's buried, I'd like to piss on his grave.

by Anonymousreply 28104/09/2013

Tramp the dirt down, old cunt. Tramp the dirt down.

by Anonymousreply 28204/09/2013

R266, Blair's re-elections had more to do with the paucity of candidates on the right. When Labour came to power in 1997, the Tories were effectively in the wilderness for about 11 years. They were in complete denial, totally lost, much the same way the GOP is now.

Blair also resided over the lowest voter turnout in recent history which continued to decline. His last re-election, turnout was at about 34%.

by Anonymousreply 28304/09/2013

My favorite:

"Iron Lady - Rust In Peace"

by Anonymousreply 28404/09/2013

The London audience of Billy Elliot apparently got to vote last night on whether or not the Maggie Thatcher song should be included in that particular performance.

by Anonymousreply 28504/09/2013

Many Brits mocked us when there was celebrating in the streets after the murder of Osama bin Laden. Pot, meet kettle.

by Anonymousreply 28604/09/2013

She was no Winston Churchill.

That must have pissed her off even more, in the twilight of her consciousness, knowing she'd harmed the country rather than saved it.

by Anonymousreply 28704/09/2013

[quote] She took down the Soviet Union.

Oh, my sides, MY SIDES!

by Anonymousreply 28804/09/2013

Welcome to hell, Maggie. There is no such thing as society there.

by Anonymousreply 28904/09/2013

People who think it's indecent or poor form for British subjects to be revelling in Thatcher's death are clearly completely unfamiliar with her actions and policies as Prime Minister. I believe the few things she got right were incidental to the monsterous things she carried out with great zeal. Thatcher used brute force against her own people, referred to an entire class of people as "the enemy within" - publically! If she disagree with you or your cause you were labelled a terrorist or criminal. She was the criminal. It finally came to light in the last few years that she covered up evidence and reports that found police forces were culpable for the death of 96 people in the Hillsborough tragedy just because in her twisted mind they were "scum." They weren't scum. And if her class warfare that was so pervasive throughout her reign hadn't been perpetuated by her, those people might've survived.

Even her legacy of reversing the decline of Britain came at the merciless decline of working class people whom she hated, certainly not at the rich who just got richer. As has been pointed out, other countries who faced the same challenges did so without the complete disregard she had for the poor. She was a monster and her death does not change that.

I applaud those who are balancing out the hagiography that so often takes hold when a politician dies. Unlike Americans with Reagan, I don't want to hear about how great Thatcher was for years and years to come. It just shows what a bunch of hypocrites the Tories are since they were the ones who turfed her out of office all those years ago. Even they couldn't stand her. And now they're trying to have their glory. It's sick making.

by Anonymousreply 29004/09/2013

Celebrating anyone's death is in poor form. Lead by example.

by Anonymousreply 29104/09/2013

Whitewashing anyone's death is even poorer form, and that is what the right is trying to do. The truth is not flattering to Thatcher, which is why they are trying so hard to suppress i.

by Anonymousreply 29204/09/2013

[quote]Celebrating anyone's death is in poor form. Lead by example.

The Right will celebrate her death by turning it into a spectacle, and by trying to lionize her.

Why is that any more proper than burning her in effigy? Two sides of the same coin if you ask me.

by Anonymousreply 29304/09/2013

R291, you act like it's a neutral proposition. It isn't. Even your president said yesterday they she was "a champion for freedom and liberty" - yeah, for white people! They're the ones sanitising her history.

by Anonymousreply 29404/09/2013

Russell Brand on Thatcher

by Anonymousreply 29504/09/2013

I find it ironic her defenders are trying to bait us by evoking Hitler and Pol Pot given that Maggie all but publicly blew Pinochet.

by Anonymousreply 29604/09/2013

The UK's misery index:

by Anonymousreply 29704/09/2013

I feel sick when I see the outpourings of grief for this woman. She supported selfishness, apartheid and never apologised for her views. Yes she was the self styled "Iron Lady" but who really cares when her legacy speaks for itself? I find it ironic how she died in alone in the Ritz hotel, while her two dysfunctional children were living abroad. Neither of them rushed back in haste.

by Anonymousreply 29804/09/2013

Margaret Thatcher - STILL DEAD.

by Anonymousreply 29904/09/2013

That is a fantastic essay by Russell Brand. Thanks for posting, R295.

by Anonymousreply 30004/09/2013

Holy shit! I was beginning to think Russell Brand was illiterate, but that essay was brilliant. I especially loved the way he destroyed the myth (championed by Obama) that Thatcher was a trailblazer.

by Anonymousreply 30104/09/2013

That hectoring tone of her voice, I won't miss that at all. Reminded me of Mum.

by Anonymousreply 30204/09/2013

This is my favorite pic of her.

by Anonymousreply 30304/09/2013

[quote]These people rioting and partying and looting are absolute scum, they were not even born in Thatcher's era or affected by her.

Idiots like this think history happens in a vacuum.

Anyone living in England was "affected by her," genius.

by Anonymousreply 30404/10/2013

The build-up to the funeral, the attendance of The Queen (I'm still here, bitches), and the immediate release of her official biography won't make much difference to her reputation.

It'll intensify feelings on both sides, but the implicit comparison with Churchill will be to her detriment. Churchill unified his country at its darkest time, she deepened divisions and used the rhetoric of civil war ('the enemy within'). General Galtieri and Arthur Scargill weren't Hitler and Hirohito. She was lucky in her enemies.

It's so apt that Ken Loach's brilliant documentary 'The Spirit of '45' has only recently been released. Maybe some screens will re-show it, given the current mood. Then a peak-time broadcast on Channel 4, please.

by Anonymousreply 30504/10/2013

Thank you r59. I have been singing that for the past few days.

by Anonymousreply 30604/10/2013

really good article on

Margaret Thatcher and misapplied death etiquette

The dictate that one 'not speak ill of the dead' is (at best) appropriate for private individuals, not influential public figures

by Anonymousreply 30704/10/2013

"Taxpayers can 'well afford' to contribute to estimated £10m cost of Baroness Thatcher's funeral, says William Hague"

Fucking hell. £10m??

by Anonymousreply 30804/10/2013

I didn't know that Russell Brand was literate either, let alone that he was capable of deep thought.

I don't see why we should miss someone who supported facist and racist regimes that killed innocent people and broke people's homes and societies. I don't miss Reagan either.

And Thatcher cannot take credit for privatization because there have always been enough rich and greedy people around that it would have happened at some point in the 1980s. It's not like she was the only Brit to have had the idea.

And as for empowering women, there are many others who have done a far better job.

by Anonymousreply 30904/10/2013

A fair amount of that must be for security, r308. Just imagine the protests that will be attempted.

by Anonymousreply 31004/10/2013

Ah the blind hatred of the left rears its head even in the supposed bastion of understanding that is the LGBT community, funnier still when you consider that the extreme left are the most anti gay of them all R282 even Parrots Galloway with the Costello lyric, and we all know his views on homosexuality.

Do you even remember what life was like Under the Wilson government?

by Anonymousreply 31104/10/2013

'The Daily Mail' has done the imagining for us in the most alarmist way possible on its front page today. It almost amounts to incitement.

by Anonymousreply 31304/10/2013

Debate hint, R312: when all you have is childish fact-free insults against "loony lefties", you've lost the argument.

I know, defending Maggie on her merits is well-nigh impossible. But "lefties suck!" is piss-poor defense.

by Anonymousreply 31404/10/2013

R311 - Woodrow Wilson?

by Anonymousreply 31504/10/2013

A topical video using Klaus Nomi's version of "Ding, Dong"

by Anonymousreply 31604/10/2013

The weight of this sad time we must obey, Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say.

The Special's Thatcher-era version of "Maggie's Farm."

by Anonymousreply 31704/10/2013

Pro-Pinochet, Pro-Apartheid regime, called Mandela a terrorist, supported Pol Pot; contempt for LGBT Britons, for the working class, for Ireland...is there anything this woman that wasn't evil?

Fuck Margaret Thatcher and fuck her bloated corpse.

by Anonymousreply 31804/10/2013

Russell Brand has actually written several very well done essays....this is not his first.

I think it indicates a lot of the shit he does in his act is, in fact, all an act.

by Anonymousreply 31904/10/2013

Why is the Queen attending the funeral? She is supposed to be impartial in matters like this. It's obvious she liked her dear friend Thatcher-milk-Snatcher.

by Anonymousreply 32004/10/2013

I didn't know Thatcher's son Sir Mark Thatcher is a such a swine. She must have been really proud of him.

[quote]In 1998 South African authorities investigated his firm for allegedly running loan shark operations. A company owned by Thatcher offered unofficial small loans to hundreds of police officers, military personnel and civil servants. Those who defaulted were pursued by debt collectors and charged 20% interest rates, according to the Star of Johannesburg.

[quote]There was an allegation of U.S. tax evasion (a criminal case was eventually dropped) and a racketeering case in Texas which was settled out of court.

[quote]Thatcher pleaded guilty in January 2005 to breaking anti-mercenary legislation in South Africa by investing in an aircraft "without taking proper investigations into what it would be used for", admitting in court that he had paid the money, but said he was under the impression it was to be invested in an air ambulance service to help impoverished Africans.

[quote]During his first marriage, Thatcher had an affair with Russell (who became his second wife), about which Diane Thatcher later confronted Russell.

by Anonymousreply 32104/10/2013

It is interesting that The Queen is attending. When Thatcher was at her peak of controversy in office there were noises from The Palace about the fabric of the nation, damage to society etcetera.

Nothing of course would ever be close to direct attribution, but the noises wouldn't have been passed along the line and published were there not Royal concerns. Not that it appeared to make any difference.

Anyway, Thatcher still received the Order of the Garter and the Order of Merit, the highest honours in the gift of the Sovereign.

It would I suppose look odder were The Queen not to appear at so big an occasion. The streets cleared, St Paul's packed, millions of viewers. Non-attendance would be seen as a snub. While honouring a woman of achievement, she'll appear yet more remarkable in the eyes of the world. Palace politics.

by Anonymousreply 32204/10/2013

Dont right wingers usually end up with selfish dirty pigs for children? If your mother says "there is no society" I suppose you might be expected to be a white collar criminal.

by Anonymousreply 32304/10/2013

R321, the daughter was sacked from the BBC for calling some sportsman a "golliwog". Nice family.

by Anonymousreply 32404/10/2013

R322 Tony Blair didn't receive those honours from the Queen when he left so it appears that Maggie was liked by the Queen who, quite understandably, is a Conservative at heart.

The Queen doesn't usually attend the funerals of ex Prime Ministers so there should be no reason for her to attend this one. Especially in the wake of waves of public protest.

Remember when Diana died? You could not move for all the flowers laid at her home. I saw some pictures from Thatcher's home today, a couple bunches of flowers and a carton of milk.

I think the Palace is not doing themselves any favours by representing themselves at this funeral. Thatcher is no Churchill.

by Anonymousreply 32504/10/2013

It was beautiful top 10 tennis player Jo-Wilfred Tsonga, R324, and he referred to him as a Golliwog Frog on BBC's The One Show (the normally harmless 7PM newsmagazine show).

She's a hateful cunt.

by Anonymousreply 32604/10/2013

Classic surreal animation from the web's early days, featuring a kitten with the head of Margaret Thatcher battling a giant rabbit.

by Anonymousreply 32704/10/2013

Glenda just gave her what for in the commons!

by Anonymousreply 32804/10/2013

This is why Glenda Jackson is DL royalty! She won't be bullied.

by Anonymousreply 32904/10/2013

Brava Glenda! (We won't be seeing you at the funeral, then.)

by Anonymousreply 33004/10/2013

I understand most liberal MPs didn't show up for the session today. Right on, Glenda!

by Anonymousreply 33104/10/2013

No doubt Glenda will be berated for "speaking ill of the dead". Well if there is ill to speak off, speak up.

by Anonymousreply 33204/10/2013

R326 - she called Tsonga a golliwog backstage, and not when the show was on air. Other guests told her to apologise and she repeated it, and was unrepentant.

The Daily Mail and Telegraph supported her, complaining that those who were offended were just politically correct.

Carol Thatcher pretty much disappeared from TV after that, but did appear as a guest on the BBC Sunday morning show, reviewing the newspaper. She really is a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 33304/10/2013

apple didn't fall far....

by Anonymousreply 33404/10/2013

Russell Brand actually talks like that IRL, R301. He's much the same when he's doing his TV presenting or on a talk show, so this wasn't a thesaurus job.

He has a complete and total mastery of language, probably more than his idol Moz and I'm always in awe of him.

Now that is how you big words. But aside from the big words, there was real insight there. Brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 33504/10/2013

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

by Anonymousreply 33604/10/2013

Right-wing historian Andrew Roberts, whose History of the English-Speaking Peoples glorified Reagan and Thatcher, wrote a tearful eulogy for Thatcher in the Wall Street Journal.

by Anonymousreply 33704/10/2013

Is "Moz" Morrisey?

by Anonymousreply 33804/10/2013

Andrew Roberts: uber-snob and armchair hawk. He and Niall Ferguson are vying to be the top pet historian of the one per cent. And in so doing, somehow join the club. Scribble scribble scribble.

by Anonymousreply 33904/10/2013

^ Yup. I wasn't sure whether to put that, but I knew a good deal would know.

by Anonymousreply 34004/10/2013

234 - Bush Senior and Major were the actually the moderate successors to their more conservative predecessors. Of course the UK also reelected Blair after Iraq as the US did Dubya!

by Anonymousreply 34104/10/2013

Yeah, R336, like i said on the other 'Ding Dong' thread, this chimes with Silver Jubilee year way back when the BBC made sure The Sex Pistols didn't make number one with "God Save The Queen."

On the one hand the BBC and Thatcher were oil and water, and many would love to underline popular protest. On the other hand the BBC has taken a huge drubbing after the Savile scandal, and won't want to attract more controversy.

(Lively side note: Savile, the career paedophile, boasted of spending year after year with the Thatchers at Christmas. He was later knighted.)

by Anonymousreply 34204/10/2013

[quote]On the other hand the BBC has taken a huge drubbing after the Savile scandal, and won't want to attract more controversy.

Especially since there's more to come.

by Anonymousreply 34304/10/2013

r338 Yes.

by Anonymousreply 34404/10/2013

John Madjeski, the owner of Reading football club, and partner of arch Tory Cilla Black, requested a minute's silence at the start of Reading's match with Liverpool at the weekend.

This is Liverpool, the club where 96 fans died in 1989, and whose fans were blamed by the police for causing the disaster, when it was a policing error that caused it. When Thatcher was told about the police's involvement, and how they had covered it up and blamed the supporters, she decided that the truth would be harmful to the police, and allowed the cover up to continue.

Most of the other people involved in perpetuating the lies about Hillsborough have apologies or admitted they were wrong. but she never did.

If John Madjeski thinks Liverpool fans will stay silent for even one second, he needs to take his deranged ginger bitch and move to another country, pronto.

by Anonymousreply 34504/10/2013

Tomorrow is zombie watch - let's see if she rises from the dead on the 3rd day to kill again!

by Anonymousreply 34604/10/2013

All the poor people will probably be having a parade.

by Anonymousreply 34704/10/2013

Old Cilla actually denied being a Tory R345. She definitely was an ardent Thatcher supporter though.

I never got why Paul O'Grady became friends with her, he slagged her for years for being a Tory.

by Anonymousreply 34804/10/2013

[quote]It was her government that started putting people on incapacity benefit rather than register them as unemployed because the Britain she inherited was broadly full employment.

Ok, who thought up this trick first the US or Britain?

by Anonymousreply 34904/10/2013

Is the incapacity benefit a stipend for someone who is too ill, injured, or has a disability that prevents work (like SSS in the U.S.)?

by Anonymousreply 35004/10/2013

OK, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga is a cutie! Fuck Thatcher's daughter!

by Anonymousreply 35104/10/2013

" Reading to hold silence for Hillsborough victims instead of Thatcher

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 01:52 PM

× 1 / 2

Reading chairman John Madejski has admitted there was never a chance his belief that Baroness Thatcher should be afforded a minute’s silence before this weekend’s matches would be put into practice.

The Royals are to hold a silence ahead of their Premier League encounter with Liverpool on Saturday but in honour of the 96 victims of the Hillsborough disaster.

That move has already been welcomed by the Hillsborough Family Support Group, which has added its weight to a belief it would be “a mistake” to afford the same tribute to Baroness Thatcher, who died on Monday.

And it is the weight of feeling against the former Prime Minister that left Madejski of the opinion a silence would never happen.

“Margaret Thatcher did so much good for this country and she deserves respect,” said Madejski, who was speaking at the annual Soccerex conference in Manchester.

“Like any politician, she made mistakes. But she also got an awful lot right.

“Maybe some people in the north of England feel differently, but if the coal mines had been working as they should they wouldn’t have been closed down.

“I would have wanted a silence but I didn’t think for a minute it would happen.

“In a way it could have been the worst thing because some people might have been jeering.”

Although there has been no public statement on the issue, the FA has privately confirmed again today there will be no minute’s silence ahead of the two FA Cup semi-finals this weekend."

by Anonymousreply 35204/11/2013

This whole week the political elites of the US and UK have shown us how out of touch they are.

by Anonymousreply 35304/11/2013

Margaret Thatcher: STILL dead.

Thatcher: STILL a rancid old cunt!

by Anonymousreply 35404/12/2013

Apparently, the palace had misgivings about too much pomp at the funeral.

[quote]Buckingham Palace raised concerns about the ceremonial funeral with military honours for Lady Thatcher that is to be attended on Wednesday by the Queen and more than 2,000 guests including every surviving British prime minister, the Guardian understands.

[quote]As invitations were sent out to world leaders, including all surviving US presidents and Hillary Clinton, it emerged that concerns were expressed at the highest levels about whether it is appropriate for such a controversial figure to be escorted on her final journey by more than 700 military personnel

[quote]In discussions about the funeral held over recent years, it is understood that questions were raised by senior figures about whether it would be right to associate the military with such a divisive figure, according to a well-placed Whitehall source.

[quote]It is understood that there were fears that the British tradition, in which the monarchy rather than politicians are associated with ceremonial aspects of the military, could be called into question. Thatcher's coffin will be drawn on a gun carriage of the King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery from St Clement Danes church – the church of the Royal Air Force in the Strand – to St Paul's cathedral.

by Anonymousreply 35504/12/2013

They can pour all the money they want into funerals and memorials and monuments, but they can't stop people from hating her. I'd actually like to see them put a statue of her up on that fourth plinth just to see what would happen to it.

by Anonymousreply 35604/12/2013

[quote]if the coal mines had been working as they should they wouldn’t have been closed down.

That is such bullshit. Does John Madjeski, the owner of Reading football club, have any idea how much coal now has to be imported into the UK? Her entire scheme for the mines was a failure in all aspects.

by Anonymousreply 35704/12/2013

As an alternative to "Ding, Dong, the Witch Is Dead"--"Thank You Very Much"

by Anonymousreply 35804/12/2013

Maggie burning in Hell?

As it turns out, yes - the lady's hot for burning!

by Anonymousreply 35904/12/2013

They should have a memorial site for her where people can leave slashed teddy bears holding dead rosebuds.

by Anonymousreply 36004/17/2013

I think people should spare a thought for Satan and the rest of Hell at this most difficult time.

by Anonymousreply 36104/17/2013

Actually, the Queen loathed Thatcher. Whenever MT met QEII in public, she always made a point of greeting QEII with an over-exaggerated curtsey, widely perceived to be a mocking gesture.

by Anonymousreply 36204/17/2013

To paraphrase a Scottish comedian: £10 million for her funeral ? For £10 million, they could have given everyone in Scotland a shovel, and they'd have dug a pit straight through to Hell, to hand her over to Satan in person.

by Anonymousreply 36304/17/2013

It seems as if this all happend years before Boston.

by Anonymousreply 36404/20/2013

[quote]All of us that grew up under Thatcher were taught that it is good to be selfish, that other people's pain is not your problem, that pain is in fact a weakness and suffering is deserved and shameful.

Does Russell Brand read DL?

by Anonymousreply 36504/20/2013

They should cut of her head and stuff her mouth with garlic, just to be sure.

by Anonymousreply 36604/20/2013

Despite a great dislike for her by people in the U.K., the Brits know how to put on a dignified funeral. At least Posh Spice wasn't trying for the spotlight.

by Anonymousreply 36704/20/2013

Michele Bachmann was there trying for the spotlight instead. The BBC reported that she said she wanted to be America's iron lady.

by Anonymousreply 36804/20/2013

It's been several days since she kicked, but each time here names pops up, I smile because she's Still Dead.

by Anonymousreply 36904/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.