Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Broadcasters worry about 'Zero TV' homes

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Some people have had it with TV. They've had enough of the 100-plus channel universe. They don't like timing their lives around network show schedules. They're tired of $100-plus monthly bills.

A growing number of them have stopped paying for cable and satellite TV service, and don't even use an antenna to get free signals over the air. These people are watching shows and movies on the Internet, sometimes via cellphone connections. Last month, the Nielsen Co. started labeling people in this group "Zero TV" households, because they fall outside the traditional definition of a TV home. There are 5 million of these residences in the U.S., up from 2 million in 2007.

Winning back the Zero TV crowd will be one of the many issues broadcasters discuss at their national meeting, called the NAB Show, taking place this week in Las Vegas.

While show creators and networks make money from this group's viewing habits through deals with online video providers and from advertising on their own websites and apps, broadcasters only get paid when they relay such programming in traditional ways. Unless broadcasters can adapt to modern platforms, their revenue from Zero TV viewers will be zero.

"Getting broadcast programing on all the gizmos and gadgets — like tablets, the backseats of cars, and laptops — is hugely important," says Dennis Wharton, a spokesman for the National Association of Broadcasters.

Although Wharton says more than 130 TV stations in the U.S. are broadcasting live TV signals to mobile devices, few people have the tools to receive them. Most cellphones require an add-on device known as a dongle, but these gadgets are just starting to be sold.

Among this elusive group of consumers is Jeremy Carsen Young, a graphic designer, who is done with traditional TV. Young has a working antenna sitting unplugged on his back porch in Roanoke, Va., and he refuses to put it on the roof.

"I don't think we'd use it enough to justify having a big eyesore on the house," the 30-year-old says.

Online video subscriptions from Netflix Inc. and Amazon.com Inc. — which cost less than $15 a month combined — have given him and his partner plenty to watch. They take in back episodes of AMC's "The Walking Dead" and The CW's "Supernatural," and they don't need more, he says.

He doesn't mind waiting as long as a year for the current season's episodes to appear on streaming services, even if his friends accidently blurt out spoilers in the meantime. With regular television, he might have missed the latest developments, anyway.

"By the time it gets to me to watch, I've kind of forgotten about that," he says.

For the first time, TV ratings giant Nielsen took a close look at this category of viewer in its quarterly video report released in March. It plans to measure their viewing of new TV shows starting this fall, with an eye toward incorporating the results in the formula used to calculate ad rates.

"Our commitment is to being able to measure the content wherever it is," says Dounia Turrill, Nielsen's senior vice president of insights.

The Zero TV segment is increasingly important, because the number of people signing up for traditional TV service has slowed to a standstill in the U.S.

Last year, the cable, satellite and telecoms providers added just 46,000 video customers collectively, according to research firm SNL Kagan. That is tiny when compared to the 974,000 new households created last year. While it's still 100.4 million homes, or 84.7 percent of all households, it's down from the peak of 87.3 percent in early 2010.

Nielsen's study suggests that this new group may have left traditional TV for good. While three-quarters actually have a physical TV set, only 18 percent are interested in hooking it up through a traditional pay TV subscription.

by Anonymousreply 11110/28/2013

[quote]Winning back the Zero TV crowd will be one of the many issues broadcasters discuss at their national meeting,

You can't 'win' them back. Entertainment culture is evolving and either you adapt or you join the dinosaurs and become extinct.

Whey the hell would people go back to the tradtional and costly TV cable viewing experience when they have cheaper and more consumer friendly alternatives?

by Anonymousreply 104/08/2013

Interesting subject OP. Again, the leech is killing off its host with exorbanant pricing. They had us under a barrel for so long, and now they're never going to get us back under it.

I noticed something called Rabbit TV when I was shopping today. It's a little thing you plug into a usb port and supposedly lets you watch anything you want on basic cable. Not premium channels like HBO of course, but apparently everything else. Must be similar to Magic Jack, that lets you call anywhere in the world for $50 a year. Rabbit TV is $10 a year. Does anyone have it, can you get shows in HD?

by Anonymousreply 204/08/2013

TV = Tired Vaudeville

by Anonymousreply 304/08/2013

[quote] Whey the hell would people go back to the tradtional and costly TV cable viewing experience when they have cheaper and more consumer friendly alternatives?

They'll do it when TPTB figure out how to force smartphone and tablet users to pay.

Look at Europe. You can buy any phone you want and pick up any carrier you want. There's free Wifi in towns and cities. Not here. The phone carriers tell you which phone you can have and which price you'll pay. My home county was going to put in free wifi until the town supervisor was told by cable companies that he would do no such thing. Both political parties were told, 'no free wifi.' The cable company owns the local newspaper and the local news channel. The politicians were given the threat of reporters looking into their backgrounds and into the families of every candidate and publishing unfavorable stories about them. The newspaper and local tv station might even decide to -- gasp! -- look into political corruption.

That killed wifi for us.

They'll figure it out, don't kid yourself.

by Anonymousreply 404/08/2013

Fuck'em. R1 is right, adapt or die.

$120/month for 200 channels, of which 185 are crap, and when there's a problem they stop just barely short of telling you "Tough shit. Now go fuck yourself."

I can watch anything at all that I'm interested in on my computer without paying for a bunch of shit that almost nobody is interested in.

by Anonymousreply 504/08/2013

The highest cost of any cable/satellite package is the sports programming.

And if you don't want sports you're supposed to pay for it anyway? Bullshit.

As soon as I get a new laptop, I'm the next member of "Zero TV" set.

by Anonymousreply 604/08/2013

I canceled my cable service several years ago after the great reality program takeover that dumbed everything down to the point of unbearability and the idea of paying $60 a month for that crap got to be too insulting. Then I watched broadcast TV until the HDTV switchover, after which I couldn't get a signal even with a converter box and antenna. So I was more or less forced into zero TV.

by Anonymousreply 704/08/2013

Charter just informed me that my "special" rate of $160/month is expiring and my bill is going up. I get internet and NO premium channels for that super low price. Can't wait to call them and cancel today.

by Anonymousreply 804/08/2013

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

by Anonymousreply 1004/08/2013

I've been checking out OmniBox Barry Diller's service that uses the internet. It says you get all the networks, ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox & The CW but it doesn't say where the feeds come from? Are you getting your actual locals or are they from NY and LA? I can't find an answer online. The problem with internet TV is you need a high speed connection and who provides that? The cable companies, their biggest competitor. To fight it, Comcast put a download cap on household usage but they dropped it for now to implement tiered pricing. The more you watch the more you pay, so they get the money in the end anyway, and then internet TV is such a bargain anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1104/08/2013

I think we should send Jeremy Young a big bouquet of flowers.

For being the first non-asshole about "spoilers" and not making a fuss over them, unlike most people.

by Anonymousreply 1204/08/2013

Rabbit TV's not all it's cracked up to be, R2

by Anonymousreply 1304/08/2013

torrents will come back with a vengance.

by Anonymousreply 1404/08/2013

I've been a zero tv home for years. I no longer care about it.

by Anonymousreply 1504/08/2013

Anybody in Kansas City on Google Fiber?

by Anonymousreply 1604/08/2013

I cut the chord nearly two years ago and have never regretted it. Get yourself a Roku or Apple TV, subscribe to Netflix and Hulu for a combined cost of $16 a month, and there is more than I can ever watch. It's all reminiscent of how the RIAA spent the 00's fighting digital downloads vs continuing to spend $16 bucks for a CD and who won that battle? You can't fight the future, you just have to adapt to it.

by Anonymousreply 1704/08/2013

The digital antenna are such good technology, I don't understand why people still pay for cable (unless they're living in a hole in the ground which can't get reception)

Only a few stories up and I get 32 channels free, including all the major networks, plus HD on broadcast in higher than cable (Cable degrades the HD signals to make them all fit)

Why anyone, who does not have obese kids sitting at home all day, would ever pay for cable is beyond me. Youtube/Top Docs is a better source for docs than Cable because most the Cable docs have become reality TV shows, with little actual info.

by Anonymousreply 1804/08/2013

[quote]torrents will come back with a vengance.

Torrents never *went* anywhere, hon. How else would I be watching "True Blood," "Homeland" and "Dexter" for free?

[quote]Why anyone, who does not have obese kids sitting at home all day, would ever pay for cable is beyond me.

Why people feel so high-and-mighty for not owning a TV is beyond *me*. You're as bad as all those smug Prius drivers out there who love nothing more than the smell of their own farts. In reality, over 90% of the American public has either paid cable or paid satellite. I have it because I want to be able to watch shows on my 50" flatscreen without spending hours downloading them, then converting them to MP4 format, then uploading them onto iTunes, and then remembering to delete all of them once I'm done (which is the process required to watch anything on Apple TV besides Netflix streaming).

by Anonymousreply 1904/08/2013

There is too much crap on TV. Some people, smarter people only like few good shows on HBO or some other cable network. The rest is too lowest common denominator. It really is too stupid to watch.

by Anonymousreply 2004/08/2013

For about 350 a year, I can get Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime. I watch everything I want to see. The only problem is that I don't get to watch stuff when it first comes out.

Here's the thing. The networks charge cable companies to broadcast their offereings. They sign a two or three year contract. When the contact expires, they raise their rates and sometimes the cable companies or Satellite dish companies decide to opt out and not renew.

Or they raise our rates. As more "zero TV" households come on line the dilemma for the existing cable and satellite franchises is to raise rates on their dwindling existing subscribers, or lower their rates to attract new customers. Or both.

by Anonymousreply 2104/08/2013

I'll bet people who write "THREAD CLOSED" feel really stupid and embarrassed when no one pays attention and the tread goes on and on and on.

by Anonymousreply 2204/08/2013

I suppose, R19, when you are on your deathbed you will be saying to yourself: I wish I had spent more hours in front of my 50" flatscreen TV.

I have no idea why people spend so much time watching crap, whether is on a TV or a computer screen.

by Anonymousreply 2304/08/2013

I love TV but have not paid for "premium" cable ever. Why didn't they get a clue years ago when people started downloading and streaming. It's ridiculous to act like they are surprised.

by Anonymousreply 2404/08/2013

TV is like food. Consume in moderation. If you watch only low brow Reality TV shit all day no wonder your brain is starting to become mush.

HBO has some pretty decent stuff and yet I prefer to buy the DVD or Blu Ray Boxsets of their shows, because all in all I don't think the service is worth the monthly fee (when most of the stuff I don't want to watch anyway).

by Anonymousreply 2504/08/2013

I'm ready to do this and become a Zero TV household.

We won't be continuing Comcast after our obligation/contract ends and because cable carriers are guaranteed a monopoly in most other places, there is no other choice.

Fucking greed will make the system eat itself.

by Anonymousreply 2604/08/2013

R9, I work in TV and you're laughably wrong. You sound like someone 10 years ago saying bookstores would never go out of business or that people would never stop buying newspapers. It's already happening; the idea of stopping what you're doing, heading to the couch and sitting in front of a big box to watch "a TV show" at an appointed time is already a relic for most of us, for younger people you might as well be talking about your horse and buggy.

Pre-recorded entertainment is going nowhere. But "T.V."? Already dying, headed to life support. It's all "content" now.

by Anonymousreply 2704/08/2013

R27, I mostly agree with you.

I think there will be an audience for 'live' TV, especially for news, but obviously it is a fraction of what used to be, and it can't be the basis for what advertisers, etc. use to measure success.

by Anonymousreply 2804/08/2013

Yep. Unless it is live, like an awards show I rarely make an appointment to watch a show. The Walking Dead is the only one at the moment I just have to see on Sunday night. The rest I catch on reairing or its the news which is one 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 2904/08/2013

R9 = Time Warner intern.

by Anonymousreply 3004/08/2013

Zero TV for four years.

by Anonymousreply 3104/08/2013

[quote]I have no idea why people spend so much time watching crap, whether is on a TV or a computer screen.

Who said I watch crap? I have no idea why people watch retarded shit like all the myriad Kardashian shows, either.

Btw if Time Warner et al *really* wanted to eliminate "Zero TV," they could do it almost immediately. Which companies provide the vast majority of American households with Internet access? Yep - cable and satellite companies! Better yet, they have de facto monopolies in most markets! "Zero TV" won't do you a shit worth of good if TWC figures out you're watching all your stuff on streaming Hulu or Netflix and decides to triple your Internet bill to compensate for their lost revenue from you cancelling your cable TV service.

Oh, and if you want to actually watch first-run movies on your TV, forget Netflix or Amazon Prime or anyone else; you're probably shit out of luck unless you use Redbox (or still get Netflix DVDs by mail).

by Anonymousreply 3204/08/2013

[quote]The digital antenna are such good technology, I don't understand why people still pay for cable.

I tried digital antenna. Some days, I got one out of the four local broadcast channels. Some days, I got three. I had to reset the antenna every time I turned on the TV because channels would disappear. The most channels I ever got was 12 -- and four of them were religious programming.

by Anonymousreply 3304/08/2013

Agree with R4. The shysters will figure out how to wring every last dime out of us.

by Anonymousreply 3404/08/2013

[quote]I have no idea why people spend so much time watching crap, whether is on a TV or a computer screen.

Aren't YOU on a computer right now?

Do you mean watching TV period is crap or just crap (like "reality") is the crap? You'll forgive me if I thought watching the Mars rover land was pretty cool.

by Anonymousreply 3504/08/2013

[quote]Do you mean watching TV period is crap or just crap (like "reality") is the crap?

I mean crap like reality TV and talk shows, but also multiple crappy TV shows, and there are many of those. Long term, how much of it people actually remember?

[quote]Aren't YOU on a computer right now?

I am on my computer now watching BBC live coverage of Thatcher's death. Someone may think it's a waste of time, but I see it as getting informed. I was a kid when she was in power.

by Anonymousreply 3604/08/2013

Zero TV for almost fifteen years, now.

by Anonymousreply 3704/08/2013

I have a Roku (Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon Prime) and of course piracy when all else fails.

If HBO go offered a standalone service for HBOGO I would buy that. I have not paid for a cable service in some 5 years.

by Anonymousreply 3804/08/2013

I'm a zero TV person.

I dropped DirectTV over 2 years ago when I lost my job. I had ditched Comcast prior to that to get a deal with DirectTV as a way to cut costs.

Subscription TV is way too expensive for what you get. Cable forces you to pay for all kinds of crap to get a handful of stations you do want.

Making the switch was a bit of an adjustment. I enjoy shows like Mad Men and The Walking Dead and having to wait a year or more to watch is a bit annoying.

I used Netflix and Hulu Plus and pay about $16 a month. I will occasionally add in Netflix DVDs.

I've been playing around with suspending and canceling services to lower my costs even more. Right now I'm just doing Hulu Plus and will suspend them once the TV season is over and then do Netflix for the summer.

I don't ever see myself paying $120 for TV ever again.

by Anonymousreply 3904/08/2013

Waiting a year is ridiculous, just download what you want. I can get most of the shows I want downloading in HD, and I save a lot of them too. Someday I'll probably drop internet access too and just live with my reruns for a few years. Not permanently, but I know I could do it for a few years.

by Anonymousreply 4004/08/2013

Moving house and not having Fios available at new address more or less settled the decision to cut cable completely.

I use Vuze to download the stuff I used to watch, and it streams directly to my tv and tablet. Except for an internet connection there's no ongoing costs, and I don't have to watch ads anymore either.

I couldn't justify going back now. Anyone else use Vuze? It's pretty sweet.

by Anonymousreply 4104/08/2013

What I believe is that the networks like HBO will adapt. If Zero TV becomes more widespread, and it will, HBO and other networks will begin offering their product without the encumberance of canle or satellite fees or contracts. They will just eliminate the middleman.

by Anonymousreply 4204/08/2013

I'd like to drop cable and watch shows on the Net, but I'm addicted to TCM. Rachel Maddow is great, too, but really -- it's all about TCM.

by Anonymousreply 4304/08/2013

R42, HBO already has HBO GO. Right now it's only available to existing subscribers. It would be very easy for HBO to make it available as a paid subscription on devices like the Roku or Apple TV.

by Anonymousreply 4404/08/2013

r44, cable providers most likely threatened to drop HBO if they would dare to take the risk. And yet it is a huge risk for something like HBO to go that route.

by Anonymousreply 4504/08/2013

I think eventually HBO will offer it as a stand-alone subscription.

by Anonymousreply 4604/08/2013

[quote]I'd like to drop cable and watch shows on the Net, but I'm addicted to TCM. Rachel Maddow is great

Rachel Maddow's show is posted on her website around an hour after it airs btw.

HBO is test marketing having HBOGO as a standalone service in a couple Scandinavian countries as we speak. A lot of things would have to change before they would be willing to offer that in the US market though.

by Anonymousreply 4704/08/2013

Once I got a Roku my tv watching changed dramatically. I almost never watch regular tv anymore. I'm planning to switch to very basic cable when my contract ends this summer.

Is there a way to get Internet access without cable? I would totally drop cable i I could.

by Anonymousreply 4804/08/2013

R48, you'd have to check into DSL with the local phone provider.

If you drop to just internet most cable companies charge a premium if you only have internet.

by Anonymousreply 4904/08/2013

pull the plug over a year ago and I only wish I had done it sooner.

by Anonymousreply 5004/08/2013

This whole thing will be over in 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 5104/08/2013

Sorry, but put me in the group that has no interest whatsoever in watching anything on a hand-held device, whether it be 8" or 12". I'd rather pop a big bowl of popcorn, sit back, put my feet up and watch on the big screen. Otherwise, I'd just as soon read.

by Anonymousreply 5204/08/2013

Pulling the cable plug has nothing to do with watching it on a smaller device R52.

Anything you watch online can be watched through a TV if you wish.

by Anonymousreply 5304/08/2013

R19/32 is a real tool for the rethuglicans. His type souls be drawn and quartered.

by Anonymousreply 5404/08/2013

Would LOVE to cut the cable, but there is a diehard live sports watcher in my home that claims they couldn't live without ESPN, our local Fox Sports channel, etc. But paying that ever-increasing bill every month irks me more and more.

by Anonymousreply 5504/08/2013

Project Free TV

by Anonymousreply 5604/08/2013

Please, someone SHIT IN MY MOUTH NOW!!!

by Anonymousreply 5704/08/2013

I can see a time when tv shows like Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad will film a season and release all episodes at the same time. Like, "Starting October 11, you may download the 5th series of Breaking Bad." Then people can download it at their leisure. Fan sites will have discussions "Episode 1: Season 5," "Episode 2: Season 5," etc.

by Anonymousreply 5804/08/2013

I'm another Zero TV house. Don't get me wrong, I watch TV shows, I just don't want to pay $100+ a month for cable. Also, I really love watching ad-free and banner-free shows on Netflix.

I would totally buy subscriptions to channels like HBO and AMC.

by Anonymousreply 5904/08/2013

I don't blame them. There's nothing on worth watching most of the time anyway.

by Anonymousreply 6004/08/2013

I use it for convenience. After working all day, the last thing I want to do is to come home and mess with equipment or have to search for what I want to watch. It's just easier and for the people who still have it, that's likely a lot of the reason. Having said that, I rarely watch network shows. I have about 3 that I like and I could do without them. I watch cable shows more often

R8, I'm a former Charter customer and it does suck. My cable company has been sold twice and now we have Fidelity and it really sucks. High prices, lousy service.

I'm convinced that a lot of people are sick of getting gouged. U-verse will be in my neighborhood in 2-3 months and I'll use them for awhile. They have an attractive 2 year commitment and when the price goes up in 2 years, I'll see what else is out there.

by Anonymousreply 6104/08/2013

R18, because 32 channels does not equal over 100 channels or over 200 channels or over 300 channels.

by Anonymousreply 6204/08/2013

I have never had cable. I live in Brooklyn and do just fine with a digital antenna. My TV just died so, until I can replace it, I have subscribed to Aereo. It is cost $8 for one month and I can get all the local networks. It will do until I can replace my old set.

by Anonymousreply 6304/09/2013

As soon as Aereo is available in the Houston area, I will opt in. I already subscribe to Huluplus and Netflix. Cable has had years, decades, of complaints about its service model. The companies really should have improved their packaging deals and service. Fuck 'em.

by Anonymousreply 6404/09/2013

Aereo just won a big court case here in NY. But I heard on the news this evening that certain stations - such as Fox, and I'm not sure who else - will opt to change to being a pay cable station if Aereo isn't stopped.

by Anonymousreply 6504/09/2013

Netflix already uses that model, R58. First up: season five of Arrested Development.

by Anonymousreply 6604/09/2013

Any idea where I can watch Forbrydelsen online with English subtitles? TIA

by Anonymousreply 6710/25/2013

I'm pretty close to this. I have a TV, but I hardly ever watch it. The last time it was on was on Sept. 30 when me and some friends did our annual viewing of Come Back to the 5 and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean.

by Anonymousreply 6810/25/2013

I find myself wondering why I'm shelling out for cable when I use it for so little that I couldn't get over the air. And I watch a lot of stuff on MeTV, which my cable company doesn't even offer.

by Anonymousreply 6910/25/2013

I had a house fire a few months ago and have been living with a friend while my house is repaired. I reduced my Comcast to the basic $35 a month so I wouldn't have to pay another setup fee. While I've been staying here, I am watching less and less TV. Have totally given up Bravo and most reality shows. I have been watching Netflix and Hulu plus on my iPad. I have been watching network shows like The Good Wife and Parenthood on Hulu instead of his DVR sometimes.

I'd like to not go back to the $200 a month Comcast bill, but I don't want to wait a year for shows like Mad Men and American Horror Story. And sometimes it is tiresome watching on the IPad --and the Hulu commercials are annoying--I thought you could FF thru them on plus??

I guess I should look into the torrent thing? I have NO clue where to begin there.

by Anonymousreply 7010/25/2013

Zero TV household for over 3 years now.

I made the decision mostly out of necessity. Had lost my job and cutting cable was the fatest way to eliminate a significant expense.

I bought a Roku and have been using Netflix, Netflix Steaming and HULU. The 3 together cost about $25 a month versus well over $100 a month.

It's a adjustment, but after 3 years I've gotten used to it. I've also recenty adjusted the subscriptions I use. I have been only subscribing to one service at a time, reducing my monthly expenses further. I use HUlu during the regular TV series and Netflix during the summer. So now I spend $ 8 a month for TV instead of over $100 and have more than enough to watch.

by Anonymousreply 7110/25/2013

They will win them back when they have kids and want something to occupy the kids. Nothing works better than sticking you kid in front of a TV for a few minutes peace and quite.

by Anonymousreply 7210/25/2013

Sports is the only thing keeping the traditional cable channel package model alive. There is no other way to get the games on ESPN and other cable channels so a lot of people stay tethered who would otherwise quit cable.

by Anonymousreply 7310/25/2013

[quote] Nothing works better than sticking you kid in front of a TV for a few minutes peace and quite.

You dont need cable for that. Thats what DVDs are for.

by Anonymousreply 7410/25/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 7510/25/2013

The problem with Netflix, while it does deliver viewers for these series, it happens over the long run. Production of TV series isn't financed over the long-run, which is why you see production of so many poorly performing shows shut down after a couple of episodes. The major networks can't really exist in that type of environment, and I would bet that most of them will be gone in the next 10 years. Ratings are minuscule and becoming smaller and smaller every year.

by Anonymousreply 7610/26/2013

For the shows I want to see right at broadcast time, I buy them on Amazon streaming. I am able to keep up with Mad Men and Breaking Bad--each is available day after broadcast. The others I watch on the networks website or Netflix or Hulu.

It is so much cheaper than cable.

by Anonymousreply 7710/26/2013

I do not know why anyone here bothers with downloading or equipment or waiting a year. Just getting the episodes streaming the day after broadcast is the most cheap and convenient thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 7810/26/2013

The only thing I watch on "regular" tv is PBS.

by Anonymousreply 7910/26/2013

I'm thinking of becoming one. I have Comcast's basic basic, and last week they forced me to start using their HD adapter, and it sucks. The picture isn't as good, and I no longer get some of the PBS shows I like.

by Anonymousreply 8010/26/2013

I haven't had TV for 5-6 years now. I have my TV hooked up to a computer and I buy season passes through iTunes for the occasional show that I get interested in. I wind up spending a few hundred dollar per year instead of a hundred per month. I never watch network shows. Some basic cable and some premium channel shows: Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Americans, Homeland, Veep, Archer and a few others.

by Anonymousreply 8110/26/2013

R81, how big a TV is it you have hooked up to your computer?

by Anonymousreply 8210/26/2013

zero tv household here.

by Anonymousreply 8310/26/2013

70 Try Couch tv. They have a good selection. Sick of Comcast. Check your bills. They have added premium channels that I never ordered and have also gave me one price and charged higher. If they do that to enough customers it really adds up.

by Anonymousreply 8410/27/2013

Sorry 70 it's couchtuner. They have 6 seasons of Mad Men

by Anonymousreply 8510/27/2013

No TV. Don't miss it.

by Anonymousreply 8610/27/2013

I don't think this is really an issue for the cable industry. At most it might mean the reduction and consolidation of current cable channels. Right now there is so much duplication of programming across different cable channels. Having to pay for 100-200 channels that are all playing the same program is what is truly doing the industry in. The cable industry could make more money if they simply have fewer channels in existence and simply charge more per carrier charge.

At worst it might lead to less expensive shows as the cost of production can't be covered if the advertising and subscription fees can't cover it.

by Anonymousreply 8710/27/2013

I cut the cable two months ago. It is kinda annoying sometimes having to wait a few days for a show to appear available to download, but the upside is you can keep the files if you like them enough. Forever theoretically, just back them up on at least two external hard drives.

I use a tv as my computer monitor like r81 (42" HDTV) which I use for event viewing, because I hate getting off the computer unless it's something I want to watch a lot. Otherwise less crucial programming is shown on another HDTV (40") which is to the side of my computer desk and plays my stored files. It's all reruns, but I watched a lot of reruns when I had cable anyway. And the best movies and shows do hold up to repeated viewings.

by Anonymousreply 8810/27/2013

Zero TV here for four years now.

Unfortunately, the only ISP where I live is Comcast, so I end up paying them every month anyway. I really wish there were another option for Internet service. Comcast truly sucks.

by Anonymousreply 8910/27/2013

I just went to zero tv when I moved 3 months ago. My tv is still packed away. Every once in a while I check the tv listings and every single time there is absolutely nothing interesting on at that time so I am glad I'm not paying for cable.

There are plenty of websites that stream almost all the tv shows that I like to watch. And they stream them right after or an hour after the episode airs on tv

by Anonymousreply 9110/27/2013

i bet r90 has never read a book.

by Anonymousreply 9210/27/2013

I bet R92 is a fucking asshole with no friends.

Nah, I don't bet. I know.

by Anonymousreply 9310/27/2013

I am close to becoming a zero tv household. I have Comcast with internet and basic (not limited basic) television. The only things watched are: local news; nascar; and a Spanish channel. I can get the local news streaming from their website. Nascar has totally sucked lately and I sleep for most of the races. I have no interest in any network/cable shows and only use Netflix and other streaming options for entertainment. I figure I am paying $100 a month for television I don't utilize. I am at the same place I was at with having a landline telephone. One day the phone broke and two years later I realized that I had not replaced it - but continued to pay the bill. Never missed it and know I would not miss cable television at this point. Change takes time I guess...

by Anonymousreply 9410/27/2013

r27, before you get too smug, allow me to say that what we are witnessing is nothing good; it is the continuing fragmentation ("Balkanization") of social groups, whether family, friends, or society at large.

That is to say, forty-fifty years ago Americans had all media in common ("Same time, same Bat-channel"), with ensuing conversations that needed no translation, as it were. Everyone knew the same celebrities and same entertainers (Top 40 was just that, not Top This, Top That, Top The Other Genre).

Now many younger-than-Boomers march, dance, and walk to the beat of their own drummer. Television is whenever they want. Radio is for offices.

Attention spans weep.

by Anonymousreply 9510/27/2013

I have read books, r92; indeed, I taught British Literature and own thousands of books of all genres. I also love my television. I can barely abide sitting at my computer desk watching a program only two feet in front of my nose.

And some of us live in areas and/or developments where there is not only a cable monopoly on service but also on actual reception. IOW, no antenna, no DISH, nothing will work without the cable box.

by Anonymousreply 9610/27/2013

R82, I have two TVs, both connected to computers that are on a WIFI network: 50" in the living room; 40" in the bedroom.

Watching shows from iTunes is like watching a DVD; very high quality.

by Anonymousreply 9710/27/2013

R80, I have expanded basic on a very old TV. When their box was too much of a hassle, I just turned it back in. My cable line hooks directly to my 1998 model TV. Are you saying to get HD, you have to have an adapter?

by Anonymousreply 9810/27/2013

[quote] because 32 channels does not equal over 100 channels or over 200 channels or over 300 channels.

ANd other than sports, do you know what MOST of those 100, 200 or 300 channels are?

Shopping channels, religious fundie channels and other "filler" that aren't real channels most people want to watch.

by Anonymousreply 9910/27/2013

Hi, R98. R80 here.

I live in PA, and have two TVs. My non-HD TV has needed an adapter to receive any signal for maybe two years, which you apparently have not had to do. What state do you live in? Maybe that makes the difference.

Two weeks ago, my HDTV, into which I simply plugged the cable wire that came in from the outside and got dynamite picture quality, stopped receiving stations. Now I have to rent another adapter from Comcast (under $2/mo.), this time for an HDTV.

BUT THAT DIDN'T GIVE ME AN HD SIGNAL. No, for an HD [italic]signal[/italic], I'll have to pay another $10/mo.

I really don't watch much TV. Nashville, The Good Wife, and Scandal are all I "can't live without." I loathe news and sports. I hardly turned the TV on over the summer.

I tried to resign from Comcast last night. After transferring me to three different agents, they hung up on me. I guess they don't like letting go.

by Anonymousreply 10010/27/2013

[quote]Nascar has totally sucked lately

Lately?

by Anonymousreply 10110/27/2013

"It's already happening; the idea of stopping what you're doing, heading to the couch and sitting in front of a big box to watch "a TV show" at an appointed time is already a relic for most of us, for younger people you might as well be talking about your horse and buggy"

ROFLMAO. 99% of people (including younger people) still watch tv. Why wouldn't they? If people are really excited about a show they will want to watch it when it first airs.

by Anonymousreply 10210/27/2013

[quote]I can barely abide sitting at my computer desk watching a program only two feet in front of my nose.

One does not need to subcribe to a cable provider in order to watch content on your TV. It is very very easy to watch something on your TV that you procured online.

by Anonymousreply 10310/27/2013

R102: But more and more people don't follow this pattern.

I haven't seen a TV commercial in almost 10 years. Because even if I want to watch a show on the night it airs, I wait until it is recorded enough so I can FF thru all the ads.

And the advertisers know this.

by Anonymousreply 10410/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 10510/27/2013

[quote] Whey the hell would people go back to the tradtional and costly TV cable viewing experience when they have cheaper and more consumer friendly alternatives?

My husband and son will not give up their infantile obsession with sports no matter what. I think they would find a way to spend $1.000 a month on sports tv if it were necessary. Such a tremendous waste of money.

by Anonymousreply 10610/27/2013

I haven't watched "live tv news" for ages. My mother comes up from Florida and watches it on my living room tv. When Sandy Hook happened, she told me that the shooter was caught in New Jersey, that the shooter's mother had worked at the school he shot up and a bunch of other misinformation she got from TV.

Then there was the boston marathon bombing. She was here for that as well. The authorities were looking for a dark skinned man, there was a dead body lying on the street ((during the ridiculously televised manhunt) in broad daylight. Reporters were running down streets, breathlessly reporting on the nothing that was happening. It was a farce.

How can anyone watch that mess?

by Anonymousreply 10710/27/2013

I just went to zero TV.

I had RCN in NYC and was paying $90 for a DVR and a reasonable TV lineup and internet.

Timewarner is the only place that services my new building and they wanted $120 plus tax for the same service so I said fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 10810/28/2013

by Anonymousreply 10910/28/2013

They ignore the inelasticity of cable and satellite pricing over the last twelve years. These companies charge a build-out rate to mature areas. A normal model would dictate that prices drop once the infrastructure is built (this also applies to your mobile phone device).

These companies have not done so. They hold regional monopolies for broadband in each area and don't have to obey basic laws of supply and demand.

We are in a depression. When it finally lifts, there will be a great number of people who will delay going back to TV because of the cost.

Networks and Cable operators will have to offer a compelling reason to return. So far, they're playing with pricing models instead of investing in improvements to content or delivery.

They've grown lazy. They're the Yahoo, HP, and IBM of the next five years.

by Anonymousreply 11010/28/2013

exactly, r110. dinosaurs who don't know they are dead yet.

by Anonymousreply 11110/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.