Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Game of Thrones, 4/7/13: "Dark Wings, Dark Words"

Sansa finally meets the Tyrells... but can they be trusted?

Arya meets the Brotherhood without Banners.

And someone or other is sure to meet his maker. (Being an armored extra on Game of Thrones is like being a redshirted extra of ST: TOS)

by Anonymousreply 7104/14/2013

What are those things that look like little stationary rowing tracks in the credits' toy version of Astapor?

by Anonymousreply 104/07/2013

Ewww! Theon is being tortured!

And double-Ewwww! The actor who plays Bran has gone through puberty and is tall and his voice has changed!

by Anonymousreply 204/07/2013

"We don't get to choose who we love."

Jaime Lannister is gay-friendly! Who knew?

by Anonymousreply 304/07/2013

"It's a shame the throne isn't made out of cocks. They'd have never got him off it."

LOL, fucking Jaime! (referring to Renly)

by Anonymousreply 404/07/2013

Diana Rigg was FABULOUS in her big scene with Sansa! She out-Dowager Countess'ed Maggie Smith!

by Anonymousreply 504/07/2013

Dwarf sexposition!

by Anonymousreply 604/07/2013

Lots of set-up again this episode. That's the downside of the early episodes of Game of thrones always: it's set up, set up, set up for the first couple of seasons until anything happens.

Michelle Fairly had her best scene since the series began tonight talking about praying for Jon Snow to die when he was a child. She was really fine.

by Anonymousreply 704/07/2013

Michelle Fairley is always fantasic on the show and that continued tonight. I am going to vote for Lady Olenna as the smartest person in Westeros, that woman just told the truth. Don't care about Theon. Jaime Lannister gets great lines (and second billing!) but listening to the accent he uses for the show is like listening to nails on a chalkboard. I thought Bran's vision of the three eyed crow, his brothers and father's voice was well done and a great opening. Jojen is perfectly creepy. Jon Snow still has one expression for everything. Can't say I missed Khaleesi and her dragons.

by Anonymousreply 804/07/2013

Diana Rigg was great. She and Sophie Turner handled the scene well. I thought it was believable how Olenna goaded Sansa into telling her and Margaery the truth about Joffrey.

It's weird getting used to how much the children grew up over the year. It's most noticeable in the boy who plays Bran, but Rickon, Arya and even the boy who plays Gendry all matured considerably over the course of the last year.

by Anonymousreply 904/07/2013

Jojen was the kid who played Liam Neeson's stepson in "Love, Actually," the one who learned to play drums to impress the girl.

In real life, he's Hugh Grant's second cousin.

by Anonymousreply 1004/07/2013

No one can ever compare with the Dowager Duchess of Downton. While Diana did a fine job tonight. It's not enough to play an old bitch. What makes Dame Maggie Smith so great it her timing. Perfection.

by Anonymousreply 1104/07/2013

It's hard to know just what game Margaery and her grandmother are up to. They seemed to take Sansa's testimony that Joffrey is a sick monster pretty acceptingly (the wedding is still on even though they know), and Margaery was then being very manipulative in being turned on by Joffrey's crossbow. Something's up.

(Please don't ruin it for the rest of us if you've read the books and know--we'd rather wait to find out.)

by Anonymousreply 1204/07/2013

The actors playing Bran and Jojen Reed had a lot of chemistry in their scenes. I know I'm a perv, but I wanted them to make sweet adolescent love to each other.

by Anonymousreply 1304/07/2013

[quote]Arya and even the boy who plays Gendry all matured considerably over the course of the last year.

Gendry or Hot Pie because the actor who plays Gendry is 25. He hasn't changed at all IMO.

[quote]It's hard to know just what game Margaery and her grandmother are up to. They seemed to take Sansa's testimony that Joffrey is a sick monster pretty acceptingly (the wedding is still on even though they know), and Margaery was then being very manipulative in being turned on by Joffrey's crossbow. Something's up.

I think they both just want to know what to expect from Joffrey so that Margaery can have a game plan set. I don't think they're going to help Sansa and there is no way Margaery is giving up her quest for the throne; they're just doing recon work.

[quote]"It's a shame the throne isn't made out of cocks. They'd have never got him off it."

Jaime continues to be a snarky mess and I love him for it.

by Anonymousreply 1404/08/2013

My God, Alfie Allen is absolutely hideous.

I'm not really sure who the hell was torturing Theon, though. Was that his father's men or was he taken by Rob Stark at some point and we learned about it in some background exposition?

Jaime Lannister--still my favorite character. He and Brienne are great together, too, theirs are always the best scenes of the night.

by Anonymousreply 1504/08/2013

I have to say, I think last week's episode was better than this week's. This week's was just moving some pieces around a board and touching base with where we left people last season.

Bran and Jojen Reed were the most interesting.

by Anonymousreply 1604/08/2013

[quote]The actors playing Bran and Jojen Reed had a lot of chemistry in their scenes. I know I'm a perv, but I wanted them to make sweet adolescent love to each other.

Heh, you aren't alone I totally had the same thought. The actor that plays Jojen is actually 22 though.

[quote]I'm not really sure who the hell was torturing Theon, though. Was that his father's men or was he taken by Rob Stark at some point and we learned about it in some background exposition?

We don't really know what is going on with Theon. Neither does he. The last we saw him he was in Winterfell surrounded by a force led by Lord Bolton's Bastard that Robb asked him to send. Then he was knocked out.

Now we know he is in someone's captivity. We also know Bolton lied to Robb when he claimed that his bastard arrived the Ironborn had already left and torched Winterfell.

[quote]This week's was just moving some pieces around a board and touching base with where we left people last season.

I was still very entertained, you need episodes like this which introduce characters and set up storylines.

I thought the Joff/Cersei, Olenna scene, Jaime/Brienne scenes and Bran/Jojen scenes were all gold.

by Anonymousreply 1704/08/2013

Almost forget the Marg/Joffrey scene!

God damn, she realized she was dealing with a petty sociopath and was able to make it worth. Beautifully acted by both of them.

by Anonymousreply 1804/08/2013

I liked this episode much better than last week's. I guess because there was more of the Stark kids and less of the annoying "Where are my dragons????" Khaleesi.

I love how Sansa lit up when she heard Loras had come for her. Is this a bearding relationship in the making?

by Anonymousreply 1904/08/2013

R3 jaime was referring to the fact that cersei is the only woman he's ever loved and slept with.

by Anonymousreply 2004/08/2013

r20, but he was also referring to the fact that Renly was in love with Ser Loras and that Brienne was in love with Renly (who would never have accepted her, given that he was gay and married to Margaery).

In contrast, Jaime's little shit of nephew wants to make sodomy a capital offense.

by Anonymousreply 2104/08/2013

Jaime and Brienne are totally gonna fall in love, aren't they?

by Anonymousreply 2204/08/2013

true R21 he was, but IMO i think he was mostly thinking about cersei when he said that.

by Anonymousreply 2304/08/2013

Marg is playing Joffrey like a fiddle. Of course she is going to kill someone to please him and gain his trust. That's what they wanted to know from Sansa (how to gain Joffrey's trust and maybe planta a seed to separate him from his mother and grandfahter). And could we need even more reasons to hate Joffrey? Now he wants to kill degenerates?

I liked this episode a lot better than the first one of this season.

by Anonymousreply 2404/08/2013

In interviews, Natalie Dormer (who plays Margaery) has repeatedly said that Margaery is not at all an evil person (and that her concern for the poor is genuine), though she admits she's a manipulative character. It's hard to imagine her murdering someone based on that.

by Anonymousreply 2504/08/2013

i was so excited to see iwan rheon as ramsey snow last night, this is going to be great!

by Anonymousreply 2604/08/2013

Ramsey Snow is the guy who was torturing Theon?? Only the 2nd episode and already I'm a little lost.

by Anonymousreply 2704/08/2013

no R27 ramsey snow was the guy who took the bag off of theons' head when the torturer left, unscrewed his foot torture device and said he'd come back to free him later.

by Anonymousreply 2804/08/2013

Okay, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 2904/08/2013

If Ramsey Snow is supposed to be such a raging psychopath, why did it seem like he was helping Theon?

by Anonymousreply 3004/08/2013

R30 i can't answer you without giving away spoilers and then the spoiler-phobes will attack me.

by Anonymousreply 3104/08/2013

Yes R31 I want to answer R30 but I won't. Keep your eye on Theon,just sayin'.

by Anonymousreply 3204/08/2013

ok. as long as i know he's still remaining evil and the tv writers aren't departing. hope theon gets it good. he deserves to be scewered.

by Anonymousreply 3304/08/2013

That was incredibly rude to say here as that has not been revealed at all on the show R26/R28/R31. You are giving away a plotline the show is obviously trying to keep secret and you know it.

You are supposed to be lost with what is happening to R27. Theon has no real idea of who captured him and is holding him and what is going on. Neither do the viewers.

by Anonymousreply 3404/08/2013

You're not supposed to know that's Ramsay, so it's already been spoiled.

by Anonymousreply 3504/08/2013

oh great, i got attacked by a spoiler-phobe even though i didn't give away any spoilers geez calm your tits.

i knew it was ramsey snow only b/c i recognized iwan rheon and i went on imdb to comfirm it was really him and it was only then that i found out that he was playing ramsey so kindly pull your bunched knickers out of your ass.

by Anonymousreply 3604/08/2013

also, if we're not suppose to know it's ramsey then why is iwan rheon credited as playing him on imdb?

by Anonymousreply 3704/08/2013

[quote]Jaime and Brienne are totally gonna fall in love, aren't they?

yes--there will be a montage sequence of them laughing, running while holding hands through meadows, licking each other's ice cream cones, and splashing each other playfully as they walk along the beach, all set to Frank and Nancy Sinatra's duet of "(Saying) Something Stupid (like 'I Love You')"

by Anonymousreply 3804/08/2013

Because someone put that on his imdb page?

When Iwan Rheon was cast he just announced as "The Boy" and he never gave away in any interview who he was playing. Last ep was his first appearance and the show didn't tell you anything about who he was other than the fact he claimed he was sent by Theon's sister.

I mean whatever, but it annoys me when people (like myself) who have read the books just love coming in spoiling things without warning for people who are just trying to enjoy the show. Especially in this situation where that knowledge isn't harmless and is obviously supposed to be a surprise to the viewer. Anyway, whatever.

by Anonymousreply 3904/08/2013

Hey assholes, it's just a television show.

Stop freaking out over perfectly acceptable discussions of the plot and characters.

If you truly do not want to know anything other than what's on tv, don't read the GoT threads.

It's not rocket science, girls.

by Anonymousreply 4004/08/2013

then where's the GoT spoiler thread? cuz if there isn't one then one needs to be made so piss pots can stop whining.

i love this show so excuse the ever loving fuck outta me that i've read the books and get excited over things that haven't happened yet.

by Anonymousreply 4104/08/2013

"In contrast, Jaime's little shit of nephew wants to make sodomy a capital offense."

It's his son. Who realizes he's the product of incest. So obviously killing "degenerates" is his very fucked up way of dealing with his own parentage.

I haven't read the books, but I am looking forward to a Jaime/Joffrey reunion, if there is one.

by Anonymousreply 4204/08/2013

Bran Stark's (Isaac Hempstead-Wright) sudden bout with puberty was pretty distracting. Time seems to be moving slowly for everyone else, but his voice has deepened overnight.

by Anonymousreply 4304/08/2013

r43, yes, it was a little bit but i'm sure we'll get used to it. He grew a few inches in height too it seems.

by Anonymousreply 4404/08/2013

When does Samwell Tarly die? I'm getting sick and tired of him; although he seems to be the most knowledgable when it comes to the White Walkers (who have killed everyone in their paths EXCEPT him).

by Anonymousreply 4504/08/2013

This is the link to the Game of Thrones spoiler thread r41 was asking for.

r45, you can your question about Sam Tarly there.

by Anonymousreply 4604/08/2013

Isn't Bran still supposed to be 10? Does the show have a Walt-on-Lost problem?

by Anonymousreply 4704/08/2013

I don't know about spoilers. But if you don't know who is torturing Theon, you haven't been paying attention.

And there are, as it turns out, individuals in Westeros who are far more evil than Theon.

by Anonymousreply 4804/08/2013

[quote] hope theon gets it good. he deserves to be scewered.

I'll do it! I'd give 'im one!

by Anonymousreply 4904/08/2013

[quote]Isn't Bran still supposed to be 10? Does the show have a Walt-on-Lost problem?

I think Arya is ten, so Bran's younger than that.

[quote]Does the show have a Walt-on-Lost problem?

As long as Isaac stays in that cart they won't have that big of a problem. That's why he isn't being carried by Hordor anymore, that growth spurt.

[quote]Jaime and Brienne are totally gonna fall in love, aren't they?

That wouuld make a nice rom-com.

by Anonymousreply 5004/08/2013

[quote]It's hard to know just what game Margaery and her grandmother are up to.

They were looking for tips about how to wrap Joffrey around Margaery's finger. You like to kill things? No way! So do I!! Will you show me?

by Anonymousreply 5104/09/2013

R45, get used to disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 5204/09/2013

I'm not into actively seeking out spoilers, but by all accounts Margaery is fundamentally good...even if she's a manipulative opportunist. Margaery and her grandmother were clearly fishing for information from Sansa; however, it doesn't appear that they'll use it against her. If only Loras wasn't a knight...I'd like to see him marry Sansa and finally get her out of King's Landing (with the understanding that he's not interested in anything she has to offer).

by Anonymousreply 5304/09/2013

[quote] If only Loras wasn't a knight...I'd like to see him marry Sansa and finally get her out of King's Landing (with the understanding that he's not interested in anything she has to offer).

Regular knights are most certainly allowed to marry.

The only knights whose oath forbids them from marrying are the King's Guard, who swore an oath to spend their life in protection of the throne.

by Anonymousreply 5404/09/2013

[quote]What are those things that look like little stationary rowing tracks in the credits' toy version of Astapor?

Has anyone answered this question yet? This completely puzzles me. maybe we'll have it explained when we go back to Khaleesi next epidode.

by Anonymousreply 5504/09/2013

I may be misremembering, but it seems to me that the HBO writers are substantially changing Margaery's character, to make her harder and more manipulative. It think this was an excellent idea, since there are almost no characters in the series that do not have substantial flaws of one sort or another. Martin is pretty good in creating female characters; Brienne is a masterpiece. At least in Westeros, they seem to compete on terms of not quite full equality with men. (Eleanor of Aquitaine looks to be an inspiration.)

by Anonymousreply 5604/09/2013

The difference between Margaery in the books and the show is, Margaery is never a POV character in the books, so we are getting a closer look at her now. She may have been this manipulative in the books, but we never got in her head the way we are on the series.

by Anonymousreply 5704/09/2013

In the books, Margaery has been pretty much a beautiful enigma so far.

by Anonymousreply 5804/09/2013

I admire this production team as well as the monumental task of adapting these books but, Christ on a cross, do they have to introduce 5 new characters every 10 minutes? It's why this will never be a truly great drama series and will have to settle for elevated fanboy wank.

by Anonymousreply 5904/09/2013

Yet it got far better ratings than "Mad Men" last Sunday night when the two went head to head, even though "Mad Men" is received on basic cable in 3X more homes than HBO is, r59.

I think you're too thickheaded to follow it.

by Anonymousreply 6004/09/2013

Oh, it's not hard to follow. It just isn't very satisfying. You wait and wait for your favourite character to show up and then they have a few lines and you don't see them for another two episodes. Like I said, it's a valiant effort, terrific production but it will never be satisfying as drama. You talk about Bran getting older - this whole cast will be ancient by the time they draw this to a close. Plus every season is all wind up and no pitch. It's a lot of taking about things we never see or never happen. Hence, fan boy wank.

by Anonymousreply 6104/09/2013

Your opinion is your opinion R61, which is fine. However the show is a big success critically and commercially so clearly people disagree.

It is a sprawling and epic drama, in the books they are based on entire characters can be missing in some books. Yet the books and the show are both held up as great successes because there are those out there that can appreciate this form of storytelling. Sorry if you find it unsatisfying.

And as others have said, it isn't so much they changed Margaery, they just put her front and center in the show while in the books she was more of a background character due to the way the story is structured. Based on what we saw of her though this characterization is pretty accurate.

by Anonymousreply 6204/09/2013

Margaery is mostly a fixation of Cersei's. You see her through Cersei's eyes. The show has fleshed her out nicely. One of the (rare) improvements. Last night's Arya was also promising.

by Anonymousreply 6304/09/2013

I hope someone gets naked in the next episode!

by Anonymousreply 6404/10/2013

[quote]I admire this production team as well as the monumental task of adapting these books but, Christ on a cross, do they have to introduce 5 new characters every 10 minutes?

The books are even worse for that. In each chapter it feels like Martin dumps another dozen names on you.

by Anonymousreply 6504/10/2013

This is hilarious.... "Game of Thrones, Season 3, Episode 2, as done on Facebook"

by Anonymousreply 6604/12/2013

Damn R66, not only was that Facebook spoof accurate, it was a hell of a lot more entertaining. The second episode sucked compared to the first.

by Anonymousreply 6704/12/2013

I had no idea that the actress who plays Robb's new wife is Oona Chaplin, granddaughter of Charlie Chaplin and great granddaughter of Eugene O'Neill.

Still hate how much they changed that storyline from the book though.

by Anonymousreply 6804/12/2013

There's a "facebook update" version of the premier episode too... just so damn hilarious. Lots of great details (like who is liking each post/comment) ... I have no idea who does them, but they're amazing.

by Anonymousreply 6904/12/2013

A lot of love for Game of Thrones went into that Facebook summary

by Anonymousreply 7004/12/2013

A [italic]scary[/italic] amount of love went into it!

by Anonymousreply 7104/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.