Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Tips For Poor People

If you want to get free 12 packs of soda, go through the self-checkout lane. Scan and pay for your groceries, but leave your 12 packs in the cart. Most people put them in the cart after scanning, so it looks completely normal.

I get 4 12-packs every week at Kroger for free this way.

by Anonymousreply 21705/20/2013

So, you're stealing. And somehow proud of it. You are poor in several ways.

by Anonymousreply 104/07/2013

You drink four 12-packs of soda a week?!

by Anonymousreply 204/07/2013

Stealing junk food is the lowest form of robbery.

by Anonymousreply 304/07/2013

Poor people have poor ways.

by Anonymousreply 404/07/2013

OP's anthem

by Anonymousreply 604/07/2013

Well everyone knows that's the way to steal, whether it be soda or anything else. Whether it works is another matter.

by Anonymousreply 704/07/2013

I don't believe you, OP. There are cameras on the self check-out lanes.

My partner, who is a store director for SuperValu Supermarkets, says that loss prevention catches people stealing at the self check-out all the time.

by Anonymousreply 804/07/2013

If you see someone on the street weaker than you, knock them down and take all their money and valuables. Free money and valuables!

PROTIP: Cover your face beforehand.

by Anonymousreply 904/07/2013

OP, you are a gay thief, darling.

by Anonymousreply 1004/07/2013

R9 I wear a ladies nylon stocking over my face and a hat when I go shopping that way.

OP When at the supermarket I buy two of everything and only scan one.

by Anonymousreply 1104/07/2013

No wonder the soda prices are so high.

by Anonymousreply 1304/07/2013

If you get caught, you can plead stupidity and they wouldn't prosecute. I have left items (by accident) in the cart next to my handbag. I don't drink soda, but have put in the code for cheaper produce when going through the self checkout lanes. I will enter the code for Roma tomatoes vs organic vine ripened, for example. I also do this with honeycrisp apples. I love them, but will be damned if I will pay $4 a pound for them.

by Anonymousreply 1404/07/2013

So my radicchio can be rung as cabbage?

by Anonymousreply 1504/07/2013

Tips for people who steal soda: diabetes will catch you if store security doesn't

by Anonymousreply 1604/07/2013

R14 Do you memorize the codes? I wonder if the stores mind that or is it so much cheaper than hiring extra checkout people they look away?

by Anonymousreply 1704/07/2013

TIps for poor people: "Borrow" toilet paper from Starbucks.

by Anonymousreply 1804/07/2013

The computerized system has an option to 'look up an item'. With the tomatoes, for example, I pull up the tomato screen and click on Roma (because I know that they are cheap). The person that they have hired to monitor the self checkout area isn't close enough to tell the difference between a Roma and a vine ripened organic. I use gala for the apples instead of the honeycrisp. They look similar enough. I have done this for years, and no one has ever said a word. I also do this with nuts. $17 a pound for pistachios? They can kiss my assio. I mix macadamias, pistachios, and other expensive nuts, with cheap trail mix, and use the code for the cheapest trail mix that they have. I get $17 a pound nuts for $4 a pound. Good cheap protein.

by Anonymousreply 1904/07/2013

My Starbucks has their toilet paper in these locked contraptions.

by Anonymousreply 2004/07/2013

OP you do realize that the store has a camera above every checkout and it's only a matter of time before one of the nitwits in the security office who obviously isn't keeping a good watch on the cameras catches you.

by Anonymousreply 2104/07/2013

This whole thread is sad, sad, sad. OTOH, we do have vast inequality in this country. I'm not willing to go that route, but I begrudgingly understand why some people feel 'forced' into it.

by Anonymousreply 2204/07/2013

Clever R14. I know it's stealing but it's still clever. And OP, I think that "oops" thing will work. Looks like you have your bases covered.

by Anonymousreply 2304/07/2013

I hope you get humiliated inside the store by a Theft Officer and then I hope you get flogged with a knout in front of the store.

That would be a riot, OP, yes?

Ha, ha, ha.

by Anonymousreply 2404/07/2013

[quote] $17 a pound for pistachios? They can kiss my assio.

LOL. At least this crook is funny.

by Anonymousreply 2504/07/2013

Of coarse the "oops thing" will work. It has for me several times. Also, as you are shopping at say Walmart or Target, pick up one of those rubbermaid medium sized tubs. Put about half of your items into it and when you reach the self checkout only pay for the tub. Works like a charm!

by Anonymousreply 2604/07/2013

OP is actually a trustfunder with fucked up issues. We all know it.

by Anonymousreply 2704/07/2013

God heavens! Why don't you just ask your parents for money?

by Anonymousreply 2804/07/2013

Sell some stocks,

by Anonymousreply 2904/07/2013

Do you check your receipt, OP? Because many stores, including Kroger, have a scanner down at the lower-cart level - to catch assholes like you.

by Anonymousreply 3004/07/2013

they check receipts at the exit. i guess there are quite a few of you live nearby.

by Anonymousreply 3104/07/2013

When shopping for a good cut of meat, don't hesitate to warm it up in your own little oven until you get out the door.

by Anonymousreply 3204/07/2013

You must live in a bad neighborhood r31. There isn't even a person watching over the self checkout line 75 percent of the time in my neighborhood (which is quite annoying if you actually need help).

by Anonymousreply 3304/07/2013

OP is a thief, and probably obese to boot.

Drink water, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 3404/07/2013

OP = Another A ho;e who thinks He is stealing from the store, but actually stealing from us, by shoplifting & forcing the cost of recovery by the store, to raise prices. F U C K U OP

by Anonymousreply 3504/07/2013

Ohh so if you're poor you steal. That what you're saying, OP. I never.

by Anonymousreply 3604/07/2013

Don't forget to help yourself to the "free candy" in the bulk bins!

by Anonymousreply 3704/07/2013

Not just stealing, but stealing... soda. Why not toss some pork rinds in there while you're at it?

by Anonymousreply 3804/07/2013

If a store is too cheap to hire human beings to ring out customers or invest in stop-loss prevention tactics to prevent this sort of activity, I'm sorry, but they kind of deserve this.

Maybe if more people acted like OP then Kroger would hire more people.

The OP is not raising prices on us. And the person who is ringing in produce incorrectly definitely isn't raising prices on us because Kroger would just throw that shit away anyway because it will go bad before they sell all of it.

by Anonymousreply 3904/07/2013

"The Grape Sodas of Wrath"

by Anonymousreply 4004/07/2013

Op, you are truly the definition of pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 4104/07/2013

R19 is fantastic. Big stores legally steal, so why shouldn't customers. Jesus, some of you DL queens are like Republican housewives.

by Anonymousreply 4204/07/2013

Because it drives the prices up, dumbass R42, or are the prices not high enough for you now?

by Anonymousreply 4304/07/2013

I wonder if you can leave white bread, chicken wings and lard in your cart along with the Mountain Dew?

by Anonymousreply 4404/07/2013

Most stores already account for it, dumbass R43

by Anonymousreply 4504/07/2013

Tip for poor people : GET A J-O-B !!

by Anonymousreply 4604/07/2013

The right title for this thread is "Tips for Pathetic Fat Thieves Who Drink Four 12 Packs of Sugary Soft Drinks A Week."

What a retarded sack of shit the OP is.

by Anonymousreply 4704/07/2013

I can't believe all the rationalization of theft. You're stealing. Would you like somebody to steal from you?

by Anonymousreply 4804/07/2013

R43, stores THROW AWAY plenty of perfectly fine goods anyway, just because it's passed it's date. That means the store routinely stocks more than it can unload, so OP is really just helping them out.

by Anonymousreply 4904/07/2013

I used to hide behind a car at the Kentucky Fried Chicken drive-thru window, and as soon as the girl handed them their order, I would run and grab the bag of chicken.

by Anonymousreply 5004/07/2013

If I want a free cut of meat, I suck my own dick. Free protein shake too.

by Anonymousreply 5104/07/2013

I told the jury my father was just going to get old and die and leave me the money, but they convicted me of murder anyway.

by Anonymousreply 5204/07/2013

Enjoy your future kidney disease and diabetes, OP. All that soda will destry you.

by Anonymousreply 5304/07/2013

I'm with R39 on this one. Haven't stolen yet but hate hate HATE this cheapskate no employee world where I have to be cashier, bagger, all of it. If one day, ooops, forgot the Diet Cokes at bottom of cart, well.... it could happen.

Hire human beings again, you cheap motherfuckers. And respect unions too.

by Anonymousreply 5404/07/2013

My local store took out the self serve check outs. The guy I asked said they weren't making money with them.

by Anonymousreply 5504/07/2013

Let us know how the stickin' it to the man defence plays in court.

by Anonymousreply 5604/07/2013

OP makes me think the punishment of cutting off thieve's hands may not be so bad.

by Anonymousreply 5704/07/2013

[quote] Also, as you are shopping at say Walmart or Target, pick up one of those rubbermaid medium sized tubs. Put about half of your items into it and when you reach the self checkout only pay for the tub. Works like a charm!

Umm, no. That wouldn't work because the self-checkouts require you to place all items on the scale before it'll let you proceed. If your tub weighs 5lbs vs the 1lb the scale expects it to be, you're gonna get cockblocked.

by Anonymousreply 5804/07/2013

Shouldn't you get a discount for being your own cashier? They pay people to scan and bag the groceries. If I'm doing it for them, I should get some compensation?

by Anonymousreply 5904/07/2013

A lot of things here in the US are based on honor system. People like OP eventually make the society abandon the trust of other human beings.

What OP is doing is akin to what the terrorists did to air travel.

OP, you are not only an untrustworthy low life, you are to destroy whatever goodness this country has left. You should be taken out and shot.

by Anonymousreply 6004/07/2013

R60, they are not giving us a discount for scanning and bagging our own groceries. They are trying to save a buck, not demonstrate how much they 'trust' their customers. They are screwing us, as well as the people that could have jobs in the stores as cashiers.

by Anonymousreply 6104/07/2013

If you want the stores to hire more cashiers don't use the self check out. Stand in line for a cashier. If people don't use the self check outs they will remove them. If you want stores to pay benefits only shop at stores that pay benefits. Shop union grocery stores and not WalMart. You pay more for coffee at Starbucks because they have employee benefits than you do at Dunkin Donuts. Shop local, local bakeries,butcher shops,local produce stands, and Farmers Markets. Shop your local hardware store rather than big box home improvement stores. It's hard work and more expensive to fight Corporate Retail. Get off your lazy ass and fight back. WalMart has trained this country you need piles of cheap crap from China that ends up in the landfills. Shop like a European, buy quality not quantity. Stop eating Frankenfood.

by Anonymousreply 6204/07/2013

I do this too occasionally when I need a toothbrush. I let it slide in the crease of the cart and act like I forgot it there if anyone says anything. I put my first filled bag over it to hide it. I always enter my shallots as onions. I play games with coupons too and I'm loaded. Not a soul would suspect me. I take my own discount when I'm ringing and bagging.

by Anonymousreply 6304/08/2013

r60 Oh Mary!

by Anonymousreply 6404/08/2013

If you would like a new pair of sunglasses, try them on at the begining of your shopping trip, then pretend to be distracted by another item that has caught your eye. Take the glasses off of your face and place them on top of your head. Do your shipping with them in your head, check out and leave. I've never been stopped, and it would be easy to actually forget them.

I own like 20 pairs if sunglasses now.

by Anonymousreply 6504/08/2013

When I worked in a produce department, we used to chuck between 10 and 20% of total sales. Waste in fresh departments is beyond what you can imagine. I too use the code trick sometimes, especially when I know that the markup on a product is ridiculous. Fuck em.

by Anonymousreply 6604/08/2013

Isn't that stealing? That isn't okay, if you are poor and need a beverage drink water, it's 25 cents a gallon - not tap.

by Anonymousreply 6704/08/2013

Eat lentils and beans. They're healthy & you can get a huge bag for like $2.

by Anonymousreply 6804/08/2013

i call those self-check out's JOB STEALERS because that is what they are. they are stealing jobs from people who could and should be employees. they are also making one person do the job of six, sounds like job stealing to me.

by Anonymousreply 6904/08/2013

I don't mind the petty theft committed by poor people, but I can't believe someone would risk the humiliation of being caught stealing something as worthless as soda pop. If you're poor, you don't have money for good health care and should be looking out for your health more. Drink filtered tap water, by the filters in bulk on Amazon and it's only like $5 a month.

by Anonymousreply 7004/08/2013

Doesn't the alarm go off when you leave the store with unpaid items?

I use the self checkout line because most of the time I don't like dealing with other people...

by Anonymousreply 7104/08/2013

You wear grocery store sunglasses, R65?

by Anonymousreply 7204/08/2013

If you are poor and unemployed make hunting for sales items your hobby. Become a mathematic genius and calculate how much you save (including bus fare or gas for your car).

Stealing is just cheating. The one you really hurt is yourself.

by Anonymousreply 7304/08/2013

Steal shoes from Payless.

by Anonymousreply 7504/08/2013

Are you poor but enjoy fine dining?

Well... EVERY restaurant is affordable!

All you have to do is order anything you want off the menu... don't pay ANY attention to prices, enjoy your meal, and when you are ALMOST finished... almost... (leave something on your plate so that it looks like you are not yet finished ) order another dish so that the waiter has to go to the kitchen to place your order... pretend to go the restroom, and then go straight for the exit instead of going back to your table. Just go! Don't pay! It always works!

by Anonymousreply 7604/08/2013

[quote] Shop like a European, buy quality not quantity

There is no quality.

by Anonymousreply 7704/08/2013

I only drink Coke Zero. No sugar.

by Anonymousreply 7804/08/2013

OP, you oblivious dick. Why would you encourage poor people to steal? I suppose I could support the theft of staples like eggs, milk, or beans...but soda? C'mon!

by Anonymousreply 7904/08/2013

Using black truffle marinara sauce in your vegan lasagna is more cost-effective than using white truffle marinara sauce.

Just a little advice from me to you.

by Anonymousreply 8004/08/2013

Steal manholes. They're worth $20/each at the junk yard.

by Anonymousreply 8204/08/2013

occupied, duh. Cupid has no say in this.

by Anonymousreply 8304/08/2013

[quote]OP you do realize that the store has a camera above every checkout and it's only a matter of time before one of the nitwits in the security office who obviously isn't keeping a good watch on the cameras catches you.

LMAO. There is no "security team" manning the cameras. Everything is just recorded so they can rewind and look at the tapes later if something is suspicious or if there is an incident. Recordings are usually only archived for 30-60 days as well.

You really think there is a room full of "security officers" watching the action live....like the fucking CIA? Well, bless your heart.

by Anonymousreply 8404/08/2013

Very true, R85. I used to assist with loss prevention at my last job. A cashier or manger can swipe more in a shift than a shoplifter does in a week.

My favorite catch was a gas station manager who found a way to bypass the POS system when clearing sales off the gas pumps. That was a high-dollar trick.

I use self-check lanes just because it's faster.

by Anonymousreply 8604/08/2013

OP is full of shit. Items are scanned for a reason- if they are not scanned they beep when you leave the store. He or she is not getting away with this all the time.

by Anonymousreply 8704/08/2013

[quote]I used to hide behind a car at the Kentucky Fried Chicken drive-thru window, and as soon as the girl handed them their order, I would run and grab the bag of chicken.

I could easily see this as a scene in a John Waters movie.

by Anonymousreply 8804/08/2013

How many people deliberately mislabel their bulk item bags? Like at Whole Foods, do you label your coffee as the cheapest one offered, even if you got one of the most expensive?

by Anonymousreply 8904/08/2013

Do people really shoplift this often? WTF goes on in someone's head where they can justify stealing from someone else (be it person or business)?

by Anonymousreply 9004/08/2013

OP, your mother must be so proud.

by Anonymousreply 9104/08/2013

I live over in Tennessee and we have a rather low economic standard of living here.

This is how Kroger is like...

The Kroger in my town closed for expansion. When it re-opened the prices on things were really high.

For example. One of my neighbors is a gentleman of a certain ago who likes to sit outside a fair amount and all of that. When this expanded Kroger re opened this past summer, I went there to buy my neighbor and I two bottles of soda and whatnot from the deli. One eight 16 ounce bottle of coke was $1.89 and prior to this expansion it was $1.25.

So I went elsewhere and just made some lemonade at home and all. Never went back to Kroger since as well. Screw them.

by Anonymousreply 9204/08/2013

good job R14 and 19, my dad does the same thing when he buys trail mix and nuts XD

by Anonymousreply 9304/08/2013

I have a feeling that at least 50% of shoppers label their expensive coffees as cheap French Roast.

by Anonymousreply 9404/08/2013

I admit, I do all of this also. Especially the sunglasses but I do the "forgot them on top of my head" in a bike or sports shop. I won't waste my time with drugstore or supermarket sunglasses.

To cover my ass, I always act the ditz when visiting the supermarket for the employees watching the self-check. I'll even leave my keys behind. This gets the front end kid to chase after me and see my high end vehicle so they'll never suspect. There was one who was onto me but she got sacked for stealing. They pressed charges and her mugshot was in the paper. I figured out how to do this by accident. In the poorer neighborhoods nobody ever suspects because they're watching minorities never me. I find I do this when something is troubling me and my entitlement issues start raging. SJP's assistant got nabbed doing this in a European airport and made everyone miss their flight.

by Anonymousreply 9504/08/2013

I do this with small items in the checkout lane all the time. I hide them in my glove and leave them in the basket. Then when I'm done, I throw the gloves in the bag and leave.

Or else you can pick up two small items in your hand and scan one and put both in your bag. If the machine records a weight issue, pick "brought my own bag." Or you can be real quick and scan it and hit pay right away.

I do this for overpriced things. I can't tell you how often the scanner is wrong. I bought something and it was wrong. I told them. I bought it again the next day and it was STILL wrong.

So the next day I stole two of them.

Stuff like batteries should be free anyway. Besides if it's really old they throw it out anyway.

by Anonymousreply 9704/08/2013

A couple of people have asked this but I have seen no response, how is this possible? If I forget to scan something when I get to the door it beeps like crazy. I live in England but it can't be that different in the U.S. Don't tell me the U.S. self-service machines work on some honour system where the company trusts you scan everything and there is no defence against theft, that doesn't make any sense.

by Anonymousreply 9804/08/2013

I tried to hide a Butterball turkey in my sweat pants, but the door beeper went off as I exited. I told security that I forgot to scan it, but they weren't buying it.

by Anonymousreply 9904/08/2013

I scan two greeting cards at once.

by Anonymousreply 10004/08/2013

[quote] Besides if it's really old they throw it out anyway.

No, make a "Manager's special" and mark it down from 50-75% off. If it STILL doesn't sell they donate it to a charitable organization and write it off.

by Anonymousreply 10104/08/2013

This is why we hate poor people!!!! Thieves!!!! Every last stinking one of you.

by Anonymousreply 10204/08/2013

Nah 96, I drive a 2012 SL class, bought straight out, not leased. My property taxes on my main are 23K a year. I board several show jumpers on my property. I'm loaded. I get a kick out of how nobody would ever suspect me. I also get annoyed waiting on line but am aware the store is cutting costs by hiring less people.I consider it a gift with purchase. I grew up wealthy but my mother was very cheap with me so I revert to this behavior when stressed. Psychologically making up for what I felt I was robbed of as a child. Economic status has nothing to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 10304/08/2013

When I buy Spanish sausage, I always enter the price for less expensive American sausage.

by Anonymousreply 10404/08/2013

R103 - your post is meaningless without pics. Even if your wild scenario is true - it just goes to show money cannot buy class. Thank fuck for old money and values.

by Anonymousreply 10504/08/2013

R103 you are pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 10604/08/2013

But I am old money. We're notoriously cheap. How do you think we keep it in our families for generations?

by Anonymousreply 10704/08/2013

That explains Martha Stewart's stock dumping. She was uber rich but they never want to take a hit financially. It's a concept R105 doesn't get because he/she has never "been there".

by Anonymousreply 10804/08/2013

R107 - if you were old money, you wouldn't be caught dead in a market.

by Anonymousreply 10904/08/2013

So wrong, R109. Old money is not pretentious like that. They are some of the cheapest people you'll ever meet.

by Anonymousreply 11004/08/2013

When I was flat broke, I pushed my cart through the grocery store radiating hauteur, eating sushi, almonds and trail mix until I was full. Then I abandoned the cart and left, walking tall.

by Anonymousreply 11104/08/2013

I live in po' white trash FL now. There are no self check out lanes at any of the stores mentioned in this thread. But I formerly lived in a more prosperous area where they were used. I wish I had figured out that produce scam my own damn self. I'm a veg, and if I want any sort of variety or treats, the shit's expensive as hell. I might have sneaked a few top shelf organic items through as Kale now and again.

by Anonymousreply 11204/08/2013

I find that when I want a red weirdo, it is easier to just attach the machine to the back of my car and drag it behind me as I leave the parking lot. Saves me a ton of quarters.

by Anonymousreply 11304/08/2013

109, you just don't get it. Old money, look it up sometime.

by Anonymousreply 11404/08/2013

R98, basically there are 6-8 self service checkout machines in the store. You put in the code for items like vegetables, fruit, nuts, bulk coffee etc. You scan the other items. The bagging area has a scale on it, so if you put an item in the bag without scanning, it will alert someone. If you leave an item in the cart, no one will know, unless security sees you hide the item. I live in a nice suburban area, and there are no security tags/alarms on anything in the store.

by Anonymousreply 11504/08/2013

To get store credit at Macys you just have to pretend like you are shoplifting and get security to follow you. When they stop you, find nothing on you, you can sue or just settle for 5K store credit and the security person's suspension for a week. Make sure you have a lawyer in place first. This doesn't work at Saks.

by Anonymousreply 11604/08/2013

[R103] I too think you're full of shit. I know OLd Guard/Old Money only too well.

They are the cheapest motherfuckers on earth as you said; BUT in a million years they would not be bragging about nor owning a nearly new luxury sedan. My mother could buy a Bentley and a Rolls Royce and toss me the keys to an Aston Martin, while not even seeing a hiccup on her bottom line. However in true Old Money fashion, she drives an 8 year old Mercedes station wagon and couldn't care less about replacing it. Old money clips coupons, or at least insist that the help does. C H E A P!!!

by Anonymousreply 11704/08/2013

This is really astonishing. I would never do this. Even if you delude yourself into thinking that it's okay because "they calculate losses into the profit margin," you're still fucking stealing. When you get caught (when, not if) you're going to be totally ashamed.

by Anonymousreply 11804/08/2013

I think a lot of armed robberies are inside jobs. Guy has his gf get a job in some gas station, then they set it up to look like a robbery. The cashiers are always way too calm and helpful in those videos.

by Anonymousreply 11904/08/2013

[quote]To get store credit at Macys you just have to pretend like you are shoplifting and get security to follow you. When they stop you, find nothing on you, you can sue or just settle for 5K store credit and the security person's suspension for a week. Make sure you have a lawyer in place first. This doesn't work at Saks.

That's hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 12004/08/2013

It's not stealing, but I've noticed many, many people making a meal out of the free samples at Central Market. It seems to be a new phenomenon brought on by the recession. It breaks my heart because they really stuff those samples in their mouths.

by Anonymousreply 12104/08/2013

R110/r114 - don't pretend to know something you aren't.

by Anonymousreply 12204/08/2013

Shaddup R117. You know nothing. So let us guess...Mother's going to replace her eight year old Benz for an even older model?

by Anonymousreply 12304/08/2013

I got stopped outside of a store by security years ago. He said that the woman in the fitting room told him that items were missing after I tried on clothing. He looked through all of my bags, apologized, then let me go. I could have sued??? Damn. I would think that it would be easy to get them to think that you stole something. Wouldn't you get more money if you could actually get them to arrest you?

by Anonymousreply 12404/08/2013

A few years ago, I used the self check at Pathmark in Brooklyn. I tried to get a lot of stuff into a bag and I ended up dropping a box of straws and a roll of toilet paper. I put them into another bag and the bitch that was monitoring the self check thought I was trying to steal those items. I had spent almost $70 and I had packages of meat and chicken that were $7 or $8 each. I paid with a debit card so they had my name. Still, a big POS security guard followed me out and tried to intimidate me into going back into the store. I refused and he stole one of my bags of groceries. Really? They think I stole a $1 box of straws and a $.75 roll of TP? Not the chicken or steak?

My friend, who is an attorney, contacted the Pathmark and I ended up getting a check for $1000 and my attorney got something, too.

by Anonymousreply 12504/08/2013

Is your attorney Bernie, too r125?

by Anonymousreply 12604/08/2013

"Tips for poor people" are called "gratuities" if you want to be tactful.

by Anonymousreply 12704/08/2013

Don't buy a toy poodle; buy a ferret on steroids instead.

by Anonymousreply 12804/08/2013

I hope all you petty thieves realize you're making all of us pay more for our groceries. I hope you realize that if enough people steal, and it's widespread through out a chain, it will weaken the stores, and cause them to start closing stores with high loss ratios, or bring in cheaper grades of merchandize at higher prices to compensate.

So you ar,e in effect, "ghetto-izing " Krogers. By that I mean you are causing them to cut jobs, thus less service, cut back on the variety and quality, and charge higher prices for inferior goods.

There is a consequence to widespread theft. Not just the immediate "getting caught" consequence, but the kind we all will suffer. So if I see you stealing, I am going to turn you in. That's right. I am going to bust your ass.

by Anonymousreply 12904/08/2013

You can do this all you want but you're not really getting away with anything. Life has a way of balancing itself out.

The people who do this are the same people who later cry about the tires that keep blowing out or the constant leak or home repairs they have to pay up for. If it's not that, it's getting them back in some other way. They can deny it all they want, but even if they can't see how they're paying in some other way... just the fact that they live a sad enough life that they have to steal (and brag about it) might be karma in and of itself.

by Anonymousreply 13104/08/2013

I'm with you R129, we should start a vigilante team in Krogers

by Anonymousreply 13204/08/2013

[quote]Then why don't they get rid of the irritating self-check out and hire more staff during a DEPRESSION

Perhaps they had to start using self-checkouts BECAUSE OF people stealing. Stealing hurts their (already slim) profit margins, so where's the easiest place to cut back? Their number one expense: Man hours.

by Anonymousreply 13304/08/2013

Well the times, they are a changin'! I happen to love self check-outs. Quick & easy.

by Anonymousreply 13504/08/2013

r117 is 100% spot-on, believe me

by Anonymousreply 13604/08/2013

You're trash, OP.

by Anonymousreply 13704/08/2013

I love self check out when I don't have a lot of stuff. It's faster. And believe me, there is always a very vigilant, hands on clerk there trounleshooting and assisting.

by Anonymousreply 13804/08/2013

R129, your argument is akin to demonizing people for driving too much because of peak oil. The problem is not the tiny cog in the wheel. The problem is the entire structure, particularly those who design it and sit at the top benefiting from status quo. It is neither my fault that we're running out of oil, nor can I do anything about it. I agree we need a better system and I'll jump to it as soon as it's available. They created gravity-powered electricity in the third world recently. Totally free. Will it come here? No. Too much profit to be lost.

I too find this thread depressing, and I've always paid the stated price for food, even when it was all the money I had (but I always took 1 chocolate ginger sample from the bulk bins when I was poor). Yet I also understand why this happens, having lived close to the edge at points in my life.

The truth is the tiny cog (individuals) are the ones getting screwed by these monopolies who care not for their fellow human. Not everyone can rake in the big bucks, because our entire society is based on 'the rich lives on the backs of the poor'. So the cog has to do what it must.

It does look quite unpleasant. We need revolutionary change of the whole system, not berating the little people for trying to eke out an existence (even though they ingest too much sugar and non-nutritive foods).

by Anonymousreply 13904/08/2013

[quote][R117] is 100% spot-on, believe me

[quote] by: not r117 (R136)

I'm another endorser of R117. She knows whereof she speaks.

Re shoplifting groceries, if you're truly poor and you shave a few bucks off of your grocery bill, it's still stealing but it's not the disgusting and mentally unbalanced type of stealing. These days, no decent jury would convict.

If you're well-off and you're stealing, you are mentally and ethically unsound.

by Anonymousreply 14004/08/2013

[quote]OP is full of shit. Items are scanned for a reason- if they are not scanned they beep when you leave the store. He or she is not getting away with this all the time.

Are you retarded? Do you think everything has a sensor on it? At a grocery store?!?!??

by Anonymousreply 14104/09/2013

I like popping tags when I shop. Always switch the price tags with cheaper items.

by Anonymousreply 14204/09/2013

[quote] Also, as you are shopping at say Walmart or Target, pick up one of those rubbermaid medium sized tubs. Put about half of your items into it and when you reach the self checkout only pay for the tub. Works like a charm!

This does work. Always make sure to put the most expensive items in the bin. I own like 40 bins now that I don't even need.

Another tip is to put electronics like flat screen TVs in the bottom rack of the shopping cart. Then go through a traditional checkout and only empty the inside of your cart. The cashier never checks the underside of the cart. Hee hee. I got my LED TV, Tivo and Blu-ray player this way.

by Anonymousreply 14304/09/2013

I hate that I am often forced to do the self checkout because there are so few lanes open with cashiers. I have heard it is cheaper to have self checkout even with all the theft because it beats paying insurance and wages for an employee.

by Anonymousreply 14404/09/2013

OP, I've done the same thing with a huge thing of papertowel. I just left it in my cart instead of ringing it up.

by Anonymousreply 14504/09/2013

Oh I see. This thread is really about how to steal.

I thought it might contain money saving tips.

by Anonymousreply 14604/09/2013

Some people steal food, others shamelessly steal ideas (plagiarize).

Right, R144?

by Anonymousreply 14704/09/2013

To avoid the machines beeping from giving me away i always exit at the.same time as a minority they ALWAYS stop the minority never do they suspect the beautiful blonde girl shoplifts.

Also couldnt you just scan the items and not pay?

by Anonymousreply 14804/10/2013

Why did someone throw a ham at her?

by Anonymousreply 15004/10/2013

Link please.

by Anonymousreply 15104/10/2013

give up.

by Anonymousreply 15204/10/2013

[quote]This obese woman was walking around our neighborhood Kroger boosting stuff in her bra, eating and drinking unpurchased things, and somebody reported her. Several employees were tailing her, and right as she made for the door the ham she had wedged in her cooch dropped out, hit the floor, and slid two feet. She turned her head and said, "Who threw that goddamn ham at me?" and walked on out.

The employees were too stunned, then tickled, to follow her out. True story.

It is not. It's a decades-old urban legend.

by Anonymousreply 15304/10/2013

Wow r153. that's a hell of an urban legend. How funny that it is still around considering it's not funny, charming, or scary. Weird shit.

by Anonymousreply 15404/10/2013

Fitting thread for a John Waters Film.

by Anonymousreply 15504/10/2013

I just know R143 is Brandon.

by Anonymousreply 15604/10/2013

I was going to say 20% but I know that would ignite a firestorm here, so I'll go with 15% but more if the tale of woe is truly compelling.

by Anonymousreply 15704/10/2013

I feel like OP. I got to the parking lot and when I was putting the bags in my trunk I noticed there was an item in my cart I missed that didn't get scanned. It was really an accident, but with my luck I'm fortunate I didn't get tackled in the parking lot by a store employee.

by Anonymousreply 15804/10/2013

[quote] I'm fortunate I didn't get tackled in the parking lot by a store employee.

*snort* You overestimate the commitment level of hourly employees.

by Anonymousreply 15904/10/2013

This didn't happen. I've worked with security equipment and know what to look for.

In my Kroger, these lanes are far from unsupervised: an employee trained in loss prevention supervises 8 of the scanners from a central location. A Checkpoint RFID system (working) at the door looks out for items which are unscanned. Many items come with the security strips embedded in the packaging from the factory. Each lane has a dedicated CCTV camera which is centrally monitored by security personnel. Finally, during busy times, an unobtrusive, circulating security officer works the self checkout/door area.

Sure, a thief could get away with it occasionally, but OP does it in her fantasies. Next it'll be a rant about welfare Cadillacs.

by Anonymousreply 16004/10/2013

The large supermarket by me on the weekends the self serve lines are busy and the store employee who is supposed to be watching is usually talking to somebody. I know people who have walked out with shoes and clothing they didn't scan. That store pisses me off because they open so few cashier lanes and their customer service sucks so I don't feel too bad for them.

by Anonymousreply 16204/10/2013

In the 70s, everyone used coupons because they were worth something. Nowadays, you get a coupon for 35 cents off 35 cans of cat food. And it's not the catfood your cat likes.

by Anonymousreply 16304/10/2013

Exactly, R163. And the deep discounts are never for anything healthy. It's always some pre-packaged junk food they're trying to pimp. Years ago you could get double and triple coupons on healthy, real food.

Even those wacko fringe extreme budgeting experts, who live on $20 a week, scoff at couponing. They know that isn't the way to go if you really want to save money and eat healthy.

by Anonymousreply 16404/10/2013

Oh R158, I have done that far too many times for comfort - but never deliberately, I'm far too much of a sad sack for that.

And btw, none of those things beeped on the way out. I think it's only electronics that do that.

by Anonymousreply 16504/10/2013

I know people who were friends with a supermarket cashier. The cashier would pretend to scan items for them, they got a free turkey that way. They were in their early 20s then, if that makes a difference.

by Anonymousreply 16604/10/2013

Those catalina coupons,the ones that the register spits out are awesome. The computer doesn't know if you bought three or five of the item. If it says $1 off five cans of dog food just buy three and take the discount on the self check.

by Anonymousreply 16704/10/2013

R166, before best buy had a security guard at the front of the store, my brother and his friend pulled this scam. He would go in with piles of CDs and one expensive electronic item. His friend would ring up about half the CDs and not the electronic item, bag everything up and send him on his way. They split the loot.

by Anonymousreply 16804/10/2013

If you're making paella, you can hide expensive saffron in your hat. This little trick has saved me hundreds of dollars over the years.

by Anonymousreply 16904/10/2013

[quote]And btw, none of those things beeped on the way out. I think it's only electronics that do that.

Of course things don't beep in a supermarket. Are you people really that retarded that you think scanning something deactivates a beeping device that's magically hidden inside the item? If an item doesn't have a sensor attached, how the fuck would it beep? Jesus, think for once, people.

by Anonymousreply 17004/11/2013

[quote]Yup. I've got three other roommates and we havve lots of visitors and we burn through soda and chips and weed and alcohol and toilet paper like crazy.

When you say 'roommate' do you mean other meth heads squatting in the same crack house?

by Anonymousreply 17104/11/2013

My tip for poor people: "Carry an umbrella, it might rain."

by Anonymousreply 17204/11/2013

They hate you too r173. Apparently you are rich because you never bought a comma.

by Anonymousreply 17404/11/2013

r85 is right. Theft from employees cost a business more than shoplifting.

By the way, the security cameras at the check-out lanes is not to catch shoplifters; it is to keep the cashiers honest. My brother was a manager at a retail chain.

OP and others, it's really not worth the humiliation you will suffer if you're caught. They will confront you in front of the entire store with all the shoppers and employees looking on. Then they'll march you to the Loss Prevention office. Some markets will call the police; others will just take your photo and your info.

There's this new policy both at Walmart and Target where if you're caught shoplifting, they'll send you a legal letter giving you a choice of either paying a penalty or risk the company pressing charges. The amount could be $500. If you don't pay that amount, then they'll press charges.

OP don't do this anymore. I'm not here to lecture you; I'm more concerned about the humiliation that will eventually experience.

by Anonymousreply 17504/11/2013

R174. Please, as their spokesperson, tell them to stop asking for money.

by Anonymousreply 17604/11/2013

r176 I would, but you are the one who lives in their trailer park and sees them more often. Maybe you can drop a hint? Oh, and nice comma usage. That was all I really wanted.

by Anonymousreply 17704/11/2013

The supermarkets where I live don't have any electronic beepers at the door. On 3 occasions I had big items on the botton of the cart. The cashier didn't scan them and I didn't notice until I got home and checked the receipt. I wouldn't do that on purpose, however.

by Anonymousreply 17804/11/2013

I regards to the bulk. I was very tempted to do 'accidentally' write down the number for basic white long grain rice instead of the basmati. It would have been hella cheaper and i doubt the cashier would've known the difference.

by Anonymousreply 17904/11/2013

r179 You lost us all when you said "hella".

by Anonymousreply 18004/11/2013

Cashiers have no idea what type of coffee bean you got, so you might as well use the cheapest price per pound.

by Anonymousreply 18104/11/2013

I don't think they have self check out anymore. If they did you could take the price off your expensive meat and put the code in for bananas.

by Anonymousreply 18204/11/2013

It's usually hard for the cashier to see everything on the bottom of your cart. It's not your fault if they miss it, it's managements fault for not hiring baggers who are suppose to check the carts.

by Anonymousreply 18304/11/2013

Stores such as Costco pay their workers very well, because of this, their workers are more diligent and actually scan every item.

The only time I didn't pay for two items at Costco, was when a female worker was too busy flirting with a hot guy cashier across from her, she must have screwed up often, because she is no longer there. For some reason, the exit door checker didn't notice the two items weren't scanned.

The exit door workers usually always count every time against the receipt they are required to check.

A few weeks ago, I bought a a very sturdy shopping cart at Costco. It was under the store's cart and the exit door checker saw the cart immediately.

As she looked over my receipt, she told me she didn't see the cart marked as paid for. For some reason the cart was not the first item the cashier had scanned, the cart price was somewhere in the middle of my fairly long list of items on the receipt. The exit checker found it and I left.

I can't believe most of the stories here! Where do you guys live, in flyover land? Half this shit wouldn't fly in New York, I guess NY store workers are so happy to have any job, they are more diligent re catching shoplifters.

The biggest load of bullshit here are the posts re putting items in those Rubbermaid totes and not paying for them! Anytime I put items into Rubbermaid totes, usually small items which would fall through the openings in the shopping cart, the cashiers immediately opened the Rubbermaid tote to see if any items were inside.

Not once would they simply scan a closed Rubbermaid tote through without checking and even if they didn't check the tote, the cashier could feel the extra heaviness if you had heavy items inside. I call bullshit on getting away with stealing in that manner.

If you are truly poor, instead of constantly stealing, you need to apply for WIC food stamps! If you have money and are doing this for fun, you need to see a shrink!

As many smart people have posted, the losses eventually gets passed on to the honest consumers in the form of higher prices. It's already bad enough that most items are now less weight-wise, yet we pay the same prices.

by Anonymousreply 18404/11/2013

R1 is extremely naïve. Rich people steal constantly. They steal whenever they are given the chance, lie, cheat and steal...that's exactly how they got rich.

by Anonymousreply 18504/11/2013

R185. That is so far from the truth. Sounds like a deflection from your own failures

by Anonymousreply 18604/11/2013

R187. You are going to have to provide a bit more to prove your point.

by Anonymousreply 18804/11/2013

A few wealthy society ladies in Dallas have been caught shoplifting at Neiman-Marcus. One prominent lady was caught with $40k worth of stolen clothes.

by Anonymousreply 18904/11/2013

I used to do this all the time but stopped because I'm in a 12 step program and we have to practice integrity.. This is for Los Angeles people only, others try at your own risk.

Out here the supermarkets meat and seafood counters wrap the meat or seafood you buy in either pink or white paper then place a flimsy price tag on it to seal it together. I used to get 2 or 3lbs of jumbo shrimp(most expensive) then order 1 or 1 and a half pounds of whatever fish they had on sale let's say catfish $3.99lb. Then while shopping I switch the tags so now I'm getting 3lbs of shrimp for about $5. If you do this some important things to remember, out here (ca) seafood items are placed in the same color wrap, so all seafood will go in the pink wrap for example so make sure if you are getting seafood(high priced jumbo shrimp), you must get cheap seafood to switch tags with. Same goes for meat. Out here meat I think is wrapped in white wrap. This is important because you CANNOT use self checkout because it will make you weigh the items and the discrepancy will alert the cashier. I repeat do not use self checkout.

You also want to look for a cashier that is chatty with the box boy or anyone and is not giving two shits about her job or I'd look for the cashier that rang everything up like speedy Gonzales. You basically want a cashier that is not paying attention. But still try to keep the weights believable, 1lb of catfish(or cheap item) should at quick glance look/feel like 3lbs of shrimp.

I've done this with everything from ribs, t-bone steaks etc... Don't get stupid and switch 2 t-bone steaks with chicken wings. I guess you could if the checker was really out to lunch.

Works with service deli items too. Oh, I'd either trash the catfish(the cheap item) in store or place it all the way back behind something in the freezer.

by Anonymousreply 19004/11/2013

R184, when I lived in NYC it was much easier to steal there. Especially, when the weather was bad, big bulky clothes. Also, I found NYC workers cared the least.

by Anonymousreply 19104/11/2013

r188 I don't personally know anyone who has shoplifted. Maybe they have but it's not like they'll share it with me.

My brother who worked at a retail chain (a very big one not named Walmart) has dealt with shoplifting as part of the job. He tells us it could be anyone. There's no tell-tale sign.

I think shoplifting for some is a necessity. For others, it might just be a game. It's a thrill. Those people are more likely than not to be people who have some means.

by Anonymousreply 19204/11/2013

Wait. I do know someone who shoplifted at Walmart and Target. My young cousin who was about 15 at the time. That's the reason I know Walmart and Target rather you pay them off than them pressing charges.

It's almost like extortion. Cousin stole P worth of some games I think. The legal letter that his family received demanded that he pay $350 (the amount permitted by CA law) or they'll press charges. His family didn't have $350 so basically they just ignored the letter. Many months pass and more legal letters arrived. Eventually, son and father had to go to juvenile court and he was "sentenced" to community service. In addition to all the legal fines and court costs, those Target and Walmart letters still arrived.

by Anonymousreply 19304/11/2013

[quote]I used to do this all the time but stopped because I'm in a 12 step program and we have to practice integrity.. This is for Los Angeles people only, others try at your own risk.

Apparently the 12 Step definition of integrity doesn't include keeping your top ten steps for committing theft to yourself.

LOL, you work it, girl!

by Anonymousreply 19404/11/2013

Nothing wrong with a little borrowing.

by Anonymousreply 19504/11/2013

R194, I'm only on step 3. ;)

by Anonymousreply 19604/11/2013

I NEVER use the "self checkout"! Hire a damn extra cashier and provide the service I'm already paying for! I won't let workers become obsolete, it's not as if they offer a discount for doing their job!

by Anonymousreply 19704/12/2013

You peoples' heads would explode if you ever went to a grocery store in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 19804/12/2013

Why?

by Anonymousreply 19904/12/2013

I own a chain of stores and I have had to fire employees for stealing. It's getting harder for them to get away with it as we get more and more fine tuned with technology. Cameras, real time monitoring of POS transactions, and sales reports identify all sorts of red flags our employees are not aware of. They think they're being clever but we catch them and make a big production of it with other employees as a deterrent. We haven't had any problems in a while, but I expect someone will be foolish enough to try again soon.

Ironically, I've heard through the grapevine that a number of these folks really regret risking a good, stable job ("the best they ever had") for a few extra bucks. Two actually re-applied, saying they had "changed" and would do anything to get their jobs back. We declined.

by Anonymousreply 20004/12/2013

When I go to Costco the receipt-checker just takes a quick gander at the receipt and cart and lets me leave. There would be a huge backed-up line if they counted each item.

by Anonymousreply 20104/13/2013

I would like some real tips for a poor person. By the way, I quit smoking and drinking already.

by Anonymousreply 20204/13/2013

You really are too stupid to live, R35. Don't you know they are always going to raise prices and lower wages...even if they have zero theift. You certainly are a ridiculous moron.

by Anonymousreply 20304/13/2013

[quote]The biggest load of bullshit here are the posts re putting items in those Rubbermaid totes and not paying for them!

Just because you're too stupid or unmotivated to make this work doesn't mean it doesn't work for other people. I got my Roku this way.

by Anonymousreply 20404/13/2013

Here is a tip for poor people with integrity, that don't want to steal. A lot of restaurants have great prices on kid's meals, and it is still enough food to feed an adult. I go into my local 'Garbanzos' restaurant, and get a kids plate for $3.80. It includes whatever you want, but in smaller portions. It is still enough to feed an adult. Steak, hummus, tabouli, 1/2 pita...satisfying and healthy. Just order it to go. They have never asked, but if they do I would say that my child is at home sick. I also do this at my local Mexican establishment. For less than $5 I can get a plate of fish tacos, beans, rice, and a soft drink.

by Anonymousreply 20504/13/2013

Why to go? Why not just eat it there?

by Anonymousreply 20604/13/2013

r206, the kids meals are intended for kids. They usually say that they are for 10 or 12 and under. That is why I order to go.

by Anonymousreply 20704/13/2013

I was going to say...you must order to go and now they know your trick.

by Anonymousreply 20804/13/2013

Stealing makes my dick hard and my male pussy moist. Someone take me now. Please have a penis larger than your remote control.

by Anonymousreply 21004/13/2013

;R205} I do this from the room service menu regularly. You can have 3 small plates for the price of one adult entree.

by Anonymousreply 21104/14/2013

Always instruct your personal assistant to grab two goodie bags from boutique openings.

Think of vintage haute couture as an investment, not a luxury.

Leasing a BMW M6 Gran Coupe is cheaper than buying one.

by Anonymousreply 21205/09/2013

I've never done it, but I have thought about attempting to use cheaper codes on bulk items-- the kind where you write the numbers yourself. I'd never do it at Whole Foods, but our nice, new Kroger has bulk foods AND self checkout. I can't imagine how they would know, but the potential embarrassment and guilt will keep me from doing it. But putting in a cheapo code for rice is sure tempting when I'm buying that big bag of macadamia nuts in bulk.

As for OP, ALL sodas are horrible for you. They will rot your gut and brain; you'll probably die before you get caught stealing.

by Anonymousreply 21305/09/2013

Baked goods get baked every day, and thrown out way before they expire.

Poor people that can't live without good bread line up to raid the bread dumpster at gourmet bakeries.

Pizza shops that sell slices or pizzas to go usually have several free pizzas at the end of the day.

by Anonymousreply 21405/09/2013

Go the supermarket deli before they're due to close for the night. I've on more than one occasion got food super-cheap that would've ended being trashed.

by Anonymousreply 21505/19/2013

Always ask for water at restaurants and then fill your cup with clear soda such as Sprite or Sierra Mist. Remember, it has to be clear in order to pull this off.

by Anonymousreply 21605/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.