Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gwyneth Paltrow Cookbook Slammed By Critics

It’s All Good, the much anticipated cookbook from Gwyneth Paltrow, that hit store shelves this week, is being roundly criticized for making eating good seem like something only the super wealthy can afford.

In fact, it would cost $300 a DAY to feed a family, based on Paltrow’s recipes, according to a breakdown done by Yahoo!

Her egg white omelet, for instance, calls for duck eggs and will cost you $30 to make. Her fish fingers recipe for kids will set you back $71.50.

Still, that’s nothing compared to her tuna salad recipe. To start, you’ll need to run out and get some Manuka honey, which averages about $25 a jar. And the entire recipe will set you back $120!

“It’s All Good is drenched in a chatty faux-populism that could only come from a rich person fearlessly boasting about her life of privilege,” writes the critic at

And according to The Atlantic, “It’s All Good seems to take laughable Hollywood neuroticism about eating to the next level.”

“The book reads like the manifesto to some sort of creepy healthy-girl sorority with members who use beet juice rather than permanent marker to circle the ‘problem areas’ on each other’s bodies,” according to the New York Post.

Says the critic at Yahoo! “Seriously Gwyneth, we want to eat with you. But we can’t afford it. Unless you’re buying, Of course.”

by Anonymousreply 20407/01/2013

She has become a public fool.

by Anonymousreply 104/06/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 204/06/2013

She's an old actress who knows she needs to turn tricks to get attention at this point. Ergo, the absurd public pronouncements, GOOP, the ridiculous cookbook, etc.

by Anonymousreply 304/06/2013

Too dumb to think outside her own bubble of privilege.

by Anonymousreply 404/06/2013

She knows exactly what she's doing.

by Anonymousreply 504/06/2013

r5 beat me to it - more publicity is the game and you get there by being as unctuous as possible.

It's a shame, too, because, as long as she stays away from English roles - at which she sucks - she's a decent actress.

by Anonymousreply 704/06/2013

Who would ever think to use duck eggs for an egg white omelet?

by Anonymousreply 804/06/2013

R6, stop being a damn idiot. She's a professional celebrity, not Babe Paley.

by Anonymousreply 904/06/2013

She needs to get her own show on the Food network. The ratings would go through the roof.

by Anonymousreply 1004/06/2013

I was just trying to help.

Then again, they are fairly complicated recipes, so perhaps I was really just trying the help.

I need a nice, goopy bubble soak.

by Anonymousreply 1104/06/2013

She's following Martha Stewart's original model of showing people what they can't afford because they like seeing how the other half lives. The bottom fell out for Martha with the recession and people not wanting to lust over $5000 teacups anymore. Goopy is younger and fresher seeming than Martha, so maybe that's why she's successful. She's always struck me as someone who's desperate to be liked.

by Anonymousreply 1204/06/2013

Goopy would probably never run over a bag of baby chicks.

by Anonymousreply 1304/06/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1404/06/2013

[quote]She needs to get her own show on the Food network. The ratings would go through the roof.

I agree with this. If Trisha Yearwood can get a "southern cooking" show where she makes mac and cheese in a crock pot, I don't see why Goop can't have one too.

Speaking of Trisha's show, if she really eats all that artery clogging glop she makes, I can't understand why she isn't 500 lbs.

by Anonymousreply 1504/06/2013

[quote]“The book reads like the manifesto to some sort of creepy healthy-girl sorority with members who use beet juice rather than permanent marker to circle the ‘problem areas’ on each other’s bodies,” according to the New York Post.

by Anonymousreply 1604/06/2013

" I can't understand why she isn't 500 lbs."

She is.

I want a Wynonna cooking show. I'd like to see what makes someone so fat they have to come out in a scooter in a dance competition.

by Anonymousreply 1704/06/2013

R15 She's pretty chubby.

by Anonymousreply 1804/06/2013

Oh Gwyneth, we get it: You are rich and we are poor trash for thinking twice to even consider buying your book filled with overpiced recipes.

Duck eggs, Manuka honey ... Are the ingredients really that much better and more healthier than what we normal (well if you can count us as normal) people buy? Is there some bigger reward for going the extra mile and pay for high end ingredients?

by Anonymousreply 1904/06/2013

R14, your response is in "now" way relevant to anything other than some dull agenda you want to flog about the middling classes that you stumbled on in a Paul Fussell essay. Gwynth Palttrow is doing her job, which is keeping herself in the eye of people who read tabloid magazines and watch PBS specials on Spanish cuisine. She gets that even if you don't.

by Anonymousreply 2104/06/2013

Let them eat brioche!

by Anonymousreply 2204/06/2013

A pity Carrie wasn't remade earlier as the Sissy Spacek lookalike Goop would be perfect.

It would have been even better than previous head opening classics Contagion and Seven.

by Anonymousreply 2304/06/2013

[quote]She's following Martha Stewart's original model of showing people what they can't afford because they like seeing how the other half lives.

That may have been a good idea in the 80s and 90s, but now? No, way. Americans are starting to catch on that the ubber wealthy are no longer people to admire and respect. The last election was proof that times are changing.

by Anonymousreply 2404/06/2013

[quote]many of the ingredients are multi-use staples (eg you don't use a whole bottle of olive oil per ingredient)

But in order to make the recipe in the first place, you're supposed to buy the bottle of olive oil she recommends, which WILL cost that much upfront for that one recipe. I think that's the point.

by Anonymousreply 2504/06/2013

She's becoming like Andy Kauffman. This has to be some kind of deranged performance art. My irritation has burned off, now I burst out laughing as soon as I read about her next move. It's great seeing celebrities and the rich, even with all their money, act like such clueless, self-deluding losers. Love seeing her plaintive face in the Iron Man suit in the IM3 trailers. Fucking funny.

by Anonymousreply 2604/06/2013

R27, what the fuck are you on about? Talk about insecure--what a damn freak. You must have spent your entire middle school career being sheltered from "insecure" bullies eager to beat the fusty out of your ass.

by Anonymousreply 2904/06/2013

Yesterday at the theater I saw a poster: Gwyneth Paltrow in Iron Man 3. I can't believe execs think she is a draw or the reason people would see Iron Man. They truly are out to lunch.

In any case, this is her movie now, the way she keeps her name in the press. Think about it - she hasn't done a significant film as "actress Gwyneth Paltrow" since the days of The Royal Tenenbaums and I suppose Shallow Hal was a modest hit. Her career now is high class trolling. She could easily retire and spend all day cooking and working out, but no - she craves the attention. Its rather sad, she had potential.

In terms of who follows goop, a friend of mine who comes from money says her mother is a reader - I think they figure goop has access to all the best shit and serves as a kind of filter. If you want to know where someone who has the ability to eat anywhere eats, for instance, or who the hot jewelry designer is.

by Anonymousreply 3004/06/2013

If she hadn't lost me long ago, she would have lost me at the title. I hate that expression.

by Anonymousreply 3204/06/2013

I was hoping she'd be gone Maggie Gyllenhaal-style in IM3, ugh.

I still haven't saw the sequel but she was surprisingly tolerable in the first one. I loved the stories of her hating ScarJo in the second.

by Anonymousreply 3304/06/2013

r30. Gwyneth is a lifestyle guru now. And in a weird way that's her own claim of fame. Her media acting and 'singing' career were made possible by her father.

Rich or poor people look at Gwyneth for advice on how living as a rich (tacky vs. classy) bitch should look like.

The most dangerous thing regarding Gwyneth's lifestyle advice is that achieving her spiritual empowerment is based on materialistic wealth and spending lots and lost of money (money lots and lots of people don't have at their disposal, so they borrow, steal, etc. hoping for feeling better about themselves when they spend it).

by Anonymousreply 3404/06/2013

I get the same groan when I read about the amount of money Oprah Winfrey spends on a crisp white shirt.

Yes, they are out of touch with the average person.

What I wanna know is, are there really people out there who can spend money so frivolously?

I have never met them.

Where do I sign up?

by Anonymousreply 3504/06/2013

I've met them. They are reptilian narcissists who have to pay people to be around them. And fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 3604/06/2013

What is your point, R34? You just repeated my post without adding anything to the conversation. Don't address me, please.

by Anonymousreply 3704/06/2013

R35 Have you really forgotten about me already? :-(

by Anonymousreply 3804/06/2013

Oh, r31. Should have known: some irate frau melting down because a two-bit actress who sells pap photos to OK! mag for a living isn't being taken seriously enough. Calm down. Gwynnie wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire--but she will sign your cookbook and give you some tips on how to reduce the sugar in Hayden's diet so he'll settle down in class if you sign on over at GOOP. Good luck with that.

by Anonymousreply 3904/06/2013

r34, my point was that her media career was made possible by her father who is dead. So she moved on to something else.

Sorry, if I came too close to you, your royal highness.

by Anonymousreply 4004/06/2013

Shockingly, the book is at number 6 on Amazon.

Yet again, proof that there's no such thing as bad publicity.

by Anonymousreply 4104/06/2013

The actress says she went to her doctor, Alejandro Junger—also known as the MD behind the “Clean” regime—and he prescribed an “elimination diet.” Instead of addressing and finding the causes of some of Paltrow’s real health woes, like vitamin deficiency, anemia, and liver congestion, which can be caused by heart failure, he advises she cut out basically everything but quinoa and lettuce. No meat, potatoes, sugar, dairy, eggs, coffee, alcohol, wheat, and, oddly, bell peppers, corn, and eggplant.

Science-ish asked Dr. Yoni Freedhoff, an evidence-based and obesity-focused family physician, about the scientific basis for such a purge. He said, “The recommendation itself at best can be described as non evidence-based hope, and at worst, as plain old malpractice.”

by Anonymousreply 4204/06/2013

Sounds like Paltrow has published volume one of her own, "My Way of Life".

by Anonymousreply 4304/06/2013

I'm claiming Manuka Honey as my drag name, so back off, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 4404/06/2013

Has Gwyneth ever actually cooked? Or are these just recipes that she gives to her staff?

Joan Crawford used to get ridiculed all the time over her homemaker image, yet you knew she got down on those floors and scrubbed them if she had to.

Gwyneth has never struck me as domestic.

by Anonymousreply 4504/06/2013

She doesn't pretend or claim to be of or for the masses. She was raised in a privileged atmosphere, and continues to live in one. My thought? Good for her. Why should she claim she's someone she's not? Even though the esoteric and rare items she craves might seem unnecessary to the majority of people, it doesn't make them wrong or pretentious. I give her credit for not hiding exactly who she is.

by Anonymousreply 4604/06/2013

Seriously, though, an egg is an egg.

by Anonymousreply 4804/06/2013

I agree with R46 and applaud his obeisance. Gwyneth is now openly a crazy twat.

by Anonymousreply 4904/06/2013

I think there is something sad about elevating discernment about all categories of products to a fetish. She dedicates too much time to accumulating the finest things. At least she's tried to make a business out of it.

by Anonymousreply 5004/06/2013

If only it was done in my day

by Anonymousreply 5104/06/2013

Let's face it, she's a bulimic illuminati pinhead who can't cook.

by Anonymousreply 5204/06/2013

Please don't make me defend Martha Stewart.

Stewart may have blithely dropped her arrogance bombs all over as she spouted richy-food necessities. But her focus always was on quality and self-made edibles that resembled good ideas and good food. Stewart was not especially impressed with overly expensive, hard-to-find items or things that shouted at her rivals how wonderful she is.

Paltrow is as shallow as piss frozen to a window, claiming to be golden crystal.

by Anonymousreply 5304/06/2013

#34 nails it. It's for suburban mommyfraus to dream about. They always aspire to the ra-sha-sha lives their hubbies can't afford. So get the credit cards out, mortgage the house, take out that loan. Name your kids Town & Country names like Kellen and Clothilde.

People never learn. Remember the 2000's?

by Anonymousreply 5404/06/2013

Actually they're made from stuff her cook picks up at the dollar store. Her PA makes up the invoices, cuts the checks and splits the proceeds with the cook and the accountant.

by Anonymousreply 5504/06/2013

has anyone been reading the Amazon reviews of her "cook" book?

the "recipes":

I'm not even sure how to say this without sounding like I'm lying, but please believe that I'm being 100% honest here. One of the recipes is for a "hard boiled egg." That's it. A hard boiled egg. In case you're not sure how to make such a complicated dish, I'll sum it up for you: place egg in boiling water. Wait for it... Done!

Is this a joke? I paid nearly $30 for a bunch of pictures of Gwyneth Paltrow riding a Vespa, her celebrity friend name dropping, and a recipe for a hard boiled egg?! Not to mention, if your family is "intolerant" to chickens, then why aren't they "intolerant" to chicken bi products? Doesn't make sense again, right? I'm thinking of a word again, I'll give you a hint: starts with hypo, ends with crite.

If a hard boiled egg isn't fancy enough for you, fear not! Right below it is a recipe for an "Olive Oil Fried Egg"!! As in, an egg fried in olive oil. Yep. That's it. Too complicated? No worries! Another "recipe" is one that she says is her favorite yet admits is not even a recipe: Avocado Toast. As in, slices of avocado with store bought veganaise on a slice of gluten free bread. Note to the author: if you find yourself typing out the words "it isn't an actual recipe"? Don't put it in your cookbook. That's what Pinterest is for.

And then comes my favorite recipe of all: POPCORN. This tough-to-master, little-heard-of gem of a recipe was taught to her by none other than her very famous celebrity friend Cameron Diaz, whom Paltrow calls a "popcorn making master." ... In case you missed my sarcasm, it's POPCORN. You pop it. You eat it. The end.

You can't make this stuff up.

by Anonymousreply 5604/06/2013

I'd prefer if the reviews focussed on the lack of nutrition she or the book has and hint at her eating disorders and maniacal food control issues.

by Anonymousreply 5704/06/2013

Gwyneth Paltrow, the modern Marie Antoinette.

by Anonymousreply 5804/06/2013

I did Dr Jungers 'clean' diet last year, and lost 13 pounds in three weeks (I was not overweight to begin with so it was huge). You eat two liquid meals and one solid meal each day. No nightshade vegetables (so tomatoes and eggplant are out). No dairy, alcohol, white anything, or wheat. Everything has to be prepared from scratch. It was rough. He has a new book out about healing the gut, so it is interesting that she is giving him plugs as well.

by Anonymousreply 5904/06/2013

R25 I can't believe I'm defending Gwyneth for once but here goes. She's not recommending any specific brand of anything unless it's a type/variation of a food product, like Manuka honey. Olive oil, CCOO approved at that can be sourced for less than $10 a bottle where I live. Even if you don't have high grade olive oil, if you cook you most likely have some type of olive oil in the pantry. Factoring in multi-use staples like that to the total cost of the recipe is just silly and sensationalist. I wouldn't take health advice from Gwyenth to save my life but the yahoo article is just pandering to the public's hatred of GOOP.

by Anonymousreply 6004/06/2013

[quote]Even if you don't have high grade olive oil, if you cook you most likely have some type of olive oil in the pantry

Don't let G. see that sentence. She'll feign shock and be in bed for days.

by Anonymousreply 6104/06/2013

This kind of pretentious twattery is exactly what I like about Goopy. I hope she doesn't try to change who she is and pretend to be down to earth like the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 6204/06/2013

"But isn't it mainly middle class women who buy cook books?"

Sure, but even middle class women would think twice about dropping $25 on honey.

by Anonymousreply 6304/06/2013

r63, don't underestimate insecure housewives who like to show off.

by Anonymousreply 6404/06/2013

I'm ambivalent about the goop. Neither impressed or seeking validation for her noblesse oblige lifestyle. I WILL take off half a days work to watch Apples future You Tube channel where she openly mocks and derides her bloody ridiculous mother and her patrician cooking demonstrations. Lourdes will do a colab video of Madonnas obscene closet.

by Anonymousreply 6504/06/2013

Gwyneth Paltrow boasts: I've got the butt of a 22-year-old stripper

by Anonymousreply 6604/06/2013

r2/r6/r14/r27/r31 is the infamous Prole Cap Troll.

I'd wondering where he'd disappeared to lately.

by Anonymousreply 6704/06/2013

She's a parody of herself.

by Anonymousreply 6804/06/2013

Who, r68? Gwyneth, or the Prole Cap Troll?

by Anonymousreply 6904/06/2013

[quote]Why should she claim she's someone she's not?

No one says she should, that isn't the point. The point is that this is not about her wanting to be a Martha Stewart type - it is solely about keeping her name in the press. Martha Stewart, Ina Garten, etc, etc, started or gained fame through years of testing recipes, owning shops, catering, etc. GOOP is a so-so actress who had famous parents and Spielberg as a godfather. Why should we take her seriously about cooking or diet? She is an actress - if she isn't going to do that she should go cook to her hearts content and leave the rest of us alone.

by Anonymousreply 7004/06/2013

Or, I should add that she could do something charitable with her fame instead of being a glorified shopper and eating disorder poster girl. But that wouldn't get her the attention she craves.

by Anonymousreply 7104/06/2013

R30 But she used to cook chicken with her father when she was growing up!!!1!1!

by Anonymousreply 7204/06/2013

This would be brilliant if it were all build-up to some sly, funny as hell Anchorman-style movie with Gwyneth as a stupid, hated, clueless, rich chef who can't Martha Stewart. If she had any sense at all - and she doesn't - this is what she would do.

by Anonymousreply 7304/06/2013

She was a regular at Sweetiepie, the vanity restaurant of Luke Janklow's ex-wife, where they sold $75 ice cream sundaes.

by Anonymousreply 7404/06/2013

She wants to be the next Martha Stewart but she doesn't have a clue as to why Martha is/was so sucessful and popular with the average homemaker. Gwynnie's dinner parties include B'idet and Zzzz, The Seinfeld's, The Turliburns', (that's Christie Turlington and Ed Burns to the rest of us), Madonna, and Cameron Diaz. Mario Batali probably begs off due to "restaurant issues". With that set of friends, how can she possibly relate to the average American woman? Even the Gym/Yoga franchise that she is opening is, by design, prohibitively expensive to keep out the riff raff.There will be a DRESS CODE! She's entitled, delusional and, more importantly, a raging bore. She isn't even fun to make fun of anymore. I hate myself for even opening this thread and writing about her.

by Anonymousreply 7504/06/2013

Those Amazon reviews are bananas. She really has a recipe for boiling an egg and making toast?

by Anonymousreply 7604/06/2013

Even worse than defending Martha...I'm going to defend that whore Jessica Seinfeld. Jess may be a money-grubbing, self-delusional ass but she can cook. Everyone has a cookbook franchise now.

by Anonymousreply 7704/06/2013

Jessica is even worse, she stole her recipes and the concept teaches kids to eat brownies not broccoli.

by Anonymousreply 7804/06/2013

I thought most cookbooks were bought by fags?

by Anonymousreply 7904/06/2013

[quote]Gwyneth Paltrow boasts: I've got the butt of a 22-year-old stripper

She talking about the one between her shoulders?

by Anonymousreply 8004/06/2013

"Goopy is younger and fresher seeming than Martha, so maybe that's why she's successful"

But IS she successful? Does anyone buy her books or her other products, if they're not a blogger in search of snark material?

Obviously she's getting attention, which is probably her real goal, but is the GOOP thing at all commercially successful?

by Anonymousreply 8104/06/2013

What a BITCH.

by Anonymousreply 8204/06/2013

R59 - You're telling us you weren't overweight, but lost 13 lbs. anyway? That just doesn't sound healthy.

by Anonymousreply 8304/06/2013

This is the best recipe in the book!

1. Arrange mint leaves in a teacup.

2. Pour hot water over leaves. Let steep for a few minutes until the water turns slightly green and flavors open up.

3. Enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 8404/06/2013

Seriously, could she be fucking with us? Wouldn't an editor step in?

by Anonymousreply 8504/06/2013

Ok I'm convinced she reads here. We're the one website on the net that really goes into COOC Olive Oil, and we have for years. Although that NY'er article was posted no one read it but we went on pages and pages here, we also found out most honey is not real.

But that COOC movement started here at Datalounge. And it's the only oil I've used since I read that most/all other EVOO is adulterated.

COOC - California Olive Oil Council. I know that some Costco's now have it in their warehouse too, so if you find it pick it up.

Same with Central Milling All Purpose Flour - it can be gotten at some Costco warehouses. It's the best.

by Anonymousreply 8604/06/2013

She's so obnoxious. She thinks other people are flawed for not worshipping her, she can't fathom that she has major flaws and has an off-putting persona.

by Anonymousreply 8704/06/2013

I wonder if she had the same ghost writer for this one. Her last book was highlighted for a story on ghost writers and Gwynnie accused the Times of making up the story. The NYT does not take kindly to being accused of fabrication and let her know it. She was very quiet after that.

Also, R75, I don't think she's friends with Madonna anymore. I think they had a falling out about their trainer. You know, the kind of thing all normal, every day people fight about.

by Anonymousreply 8804/06/2013

I know someone who knows Goopy. She is one of the dumbest in Hollywood, like borderline retarded dumb. However, she has always had an amazing team around her to prop her up, ever since private school.

by Anonymousreply 8904/06/2013

I think "dumbness" actually works for actors. The blankness.

by Anonymousreply 9004/06/2013

Her recipes are shit.

by Anonymousreply 9104/06/2013

Gwyneth Paltrow is a fucking cunt with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I don't get why people waste their energy ragging on Anne Hathway when she's nowhere near as insufferable as Gwynnie.

by Anonymousreply 9204/06/2013

I know somebody who would probably like to try her recipes. He loves exotic recipes and he loves to cook. He's also got money. You'd have to. Her books shouldn't be published. They should be provided gratis aboard private jets or something.

by Anonymousreply 9304/06/2013

I guess those 1% devils protect their own, because this cookbook is an SNL cooking segment waiting to happen. But it won't happen.

by Anonymousreply 9404/06/2013

Manuka honey in tuna salad? Blech! Vile.

Pity the idiots who will go out and buy anything that has "ManukaHhoney" on the label when it's probably not the real deal.

Real manuka honey is used more for medicinal purposes and you have to study up on "UMF" - the higher the UMF, the better and more expensive.

It costs way more than $25 if you want the good stuff direct from NZ.

by Anonymousreply 9504/06/2013

She may have zero fat on her legs and the butt "of a 22-year-old stripper," but the weight loss and extreme dieting is affecting her face and skin. She's become another 40-something with 10% body fat but a face like a tired, worn-out old woman.

I remember when Goop went on the old Oprah show and made some steamed fish with miso crap. Oprah barely got it down. O said on a (much) later show that it was completely disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 9604/06/2013

Gwyneth needs to be dipped in Manuka honey and left near a fire ant colony!

by Anonymousreply 9704/06/2013

We're all hostages.

by Anonymousreply 9804/06/2013

Does she communicate with the great unwashed, either through her website, Twitter, etc?

by Anonymousreply 9904/06/2013

She basically promotes quacks. Her doctor advisee promotes food sensitivity testing (useless), Tracy Anderson, her trainer, embezzles and skips out on bills (not to mention being obsessed with the idea that women should be "teeny," perhaps because she herself is five foot nothing), and she falls for every fad diet in existence. Every year, some new diet with the revelation that she was eating all the wrong things before. Never a mention that "all the wrong things" meant the previous wonder diet that is now never to be mentioned again.

by Anonymousreply 10004/06/2013

"She really has a recipe for boiling an egg and making toast?"

Because nobody in the history of the Earth has ever made them RIGHT.

Seriously, can imagine the living hell her servants go through? I imagine she learned to boil water and scorch toast, because her cooks quit after three days of her incessant criticism and food faddism.

by Anonymousreply 10104/06/2013

I used to really like Blythe Danner, but I find it increasingly harder to not blame her for Gwyneth being a grade-A twat. The dad with boundary issues certainly didn't help matters.

by Anonymousreply 10204/06/2013

r100 nails it.

by Anonymousreply 10304/07/2013

What good is it having a 22-year-old ass when the skin on your face looks 50? Paltrow looks like a strip of beef jerky. And honey? No one's looked at your ass in about 15 years.

by Anonymousreply 10404/07/2013

Her face and hair look particularly bad and damaged.

Hate that straw-like, fried, parted in the center thing she's had for years.

by Anonymousreply 10504/07/2013

Does Costco sell Manuka Honey?

by Anonymousreply 10604/07/2013

R100 I forgot about Tracy Anderson. She is like the biggest fraud fitness guru that ever was, her diet guidelines are dangerous and she hasn't a clue how to tone up someone who isn't naturally a bean pole (she actually advises women don't lift over 10lbs because they will bulk up like men). Shudder to think women who find the GOOP lifestyle aspirational actually listened to that nut.

by Anonymousreply 10704/07/2013

How does one get such brittle, straw like hair?

by Anonymousreply 10804/07/2013

Her cookbook is grrrrrreat. I dipped mine in two sticks of butter and fried that motherfucker!

by Anonymousreply 10904/07/2013

Gwyneth's husband constantly brings the children out for junk food

by Anonymousreply 11004/07/2013

more junk food for the kids and himself

by Anonymousreply 11104/07/2013

Chris Martin must have a big dick or be a great fuck. He's certainly no looker.

by Anonymousreply 11204/07/2013

I cannot believe she has "recipes" for mint tea, hard boiled eggs, fried eggs, and toast with slices of avocado on it. Who the heck can't fry and egg?

by Anonymousreply 11304/07/2013

Gwyneth probably makes quail eggs fried in expensive duck fat.

by Anonymousreply 11404/07/2013

I imagine South American maids and cooks to roll their eyes behind the back of their mistresses when they are asked to cook something out of that very cookbook.

by Anonymousreply 11504/07/2013

Gwyneth Paltrow's Rap Diet: Actress Plays Hip-Hop "Like a Bad Mutha" While Cooking

by Anonymousreply 11604/07/2013

I have to wonder if Chris's bandmates/friends/colleagues/groupies openly laugh at him for being married to this quack, or if they keep that to themselves.

I also wonder what Goop's Texas-raised BFF Beyonce thinks of all this "clean" eating? I don't see Jay Z subsisting on swiss chard and mineral water.

by Anonymousreply 11704/07/2013

Chris doesn't have a band anymore.

by Anonymousreply 11804/07/2013

The good news is that her husband is cheating on her and has been for years.

The bad news is that those children can't escape.

by Anonymousreply 11904/07/2013

I wanted to try a Chick Fil A sandwich but did not want to give them any money. So I went out and bought all the ingredients. It cost me about $30 because I don't usually eat that kind of food and don't have that stuff on hand. Is it going to cost me $30 every time I feel like having one again? Only if I throw all of the supplies out, but who does that.

by Anonymousreply 12004/07/2013

Sigh. Actually r107, Tracy Anderson advocates not lifting more than 3 pounds. I have her mat DVD, and was stupid enough to fall for this shit. I did Jillian videos before, and lifted 12-15 pounds on my own for weight training. I did TA religiously for 3 months, and lost so much muscle tone. I would like to choke the bitch, but I guess I should just choke myself for falling for such ridiculousness.

by Anonymousreply 12104/07/2013

Just a question. Does she know how much she's hated on the net? Has she ever said anything about it?

by Anonymousreply 12204/07/2013

[quote]Those Amazon reviews are bananas. She really has a recipe for boiling an egg and making toast?

I wonder if she actually has a recipe in the book for banana? My usual method is to break a banana off from the bunch, pull the peel away gradually as I eat the banana, then discard the peel when I've finished eating, but I feel like something is missing. Does Goop have any useful advice for me?

by Anonymousreply 12304/07/2013

She's rich. She grew up rich.

by Anonymousreply 12404/07/2013

I would love to see Gwynnie stomped and kicked to death by a bunch of overweight, meat-eating ethnic, non-WASP girls.

by Anonymousreply 12504/07/2013

Lol at R123

by Anonymousreply 12604/07/2013

I would seriously love to sit her down, off the record, and just find out the truth: what the fuck is she really thinking?

by Anonymousreply 12704/07/2013

I've tried haunting her.

by Anonymousreply 12804/07/2013

[quote]Just a question. Does she know how much she's hated on the net? Has she ever said anything about it?

She does. She was even going to shut down Goop cause of it. :(

by Anonymousreply 12904/07/2013

She's been hated since day one!

by Anonymousreply 13004/07/2013

R67 you're wrong. This is my first post in this thread.

I can't believe I'm taking credit (blame?) for this: About 10 years ago, I used to post on the indicators of socioeconomic class, and its implications for what some have called moral style.

As a result, I got labeled the Prole Cap Troll. It was certainly a learning experience. It absolutely infuriated some people that I acknowledged that social class exists. There was never any judgment implied, that one class was better than another. Nonetheless, that's how my posts came to be interpreted.

BTW, for the uninitiated, a prole cap is simply a baseball cap worn anywhere but on a baseball field.

by Anonymousreply 13104/07/2013

I would find it a bit difficult not to spit in Gwyneth's face if I ever crossed paths with her. Even though Sharon Stone was being her usually bitchy self when she said it, I kind of agree with her opinion that “Gwyneth Paltrow is very young and lives in a rarified air that’s very thin...It’s like she's not getting enough oxygen.”

by Anonymousreply 13204/08/2013

[quote]Actress Plays Hip-Hop "Like a Bad Mutha" While Cooking

Yick, I'm so embarrassed for her. Does she really say things like that? I wonder what her bff Jay Z thinks of Goop's ridiculous attempts to sound "street."

by Anonymousreply 13304/08/2013

What's funny is that she grew up the daughter of a second string director and a B-list actress. Yet she acts like she's a blue blood, descended from the Astors or the Vanderbilts.

by Anonymousreply 13404/08/2013

At the end of the day, Gwyneth is as common as they come.

by Anonymousreply 13504/08/2013

I'm betting Gwynnie is pals with Alexis Stewart, daughter of Martha.

Martha Stewart lacks warmth as a person, and this serves as her motivation to try and create warmth with recipes and decor. Alexis Stewart has no such motivation. She's not a warm person and she doesn't care. She feeds her kid brown rice and chickpea salad and penne with broccoli and pumpkin seed-parsley pesto.It's all soup and salad at Alexis' granite-floored house.

I'm betting Martha was at least human enough to give her kid some meat and an occasional madcap treat like a friggin marshmallow.

Reading Alexis Stewart's blog is sad. Life as her child is filled with food punishment.

by Anonymousreply 13604/08/2013

I don't understand why she seems to think she is royalty.

There are people like Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Ronan Farrow in the world that aren't insufferable cunts.

by Anonymousreply 13704/08/2013

She must be spending her husband's money. She's never been big box office. The only reason she continues in Iron Man is because she's cheap. They probably agreed to give her a 1 sheet for cinema display because they pay her so little.

I'll bet Martin stays married because its cheaper than a divorce settlement.

by Anonymousreply 13804/08/2013

R132, Stone said that in response to an SNL skit Paltrow did imitating her and making cruel fun of her then husband, Phil Bronstein.

by Anonymousreply 13904/08/2013

She's the People's Princess.

by Anonymousreply 14004/08/2013

Her book is selling quite good, she seems to be making a lot of money pretending to be stupid, LOL!

by Anonymousreply 14104/08/2013

Martin stays with her because she won't allow a divorce. She turns a blind eye because she does not want to be perceived as a failure in her marriage. Chris Martin also wants to continue to see his children, so he stays. And strays.

by Anonymousreply 14204/08/2013

She is in Iron Man, because she is good friends with RDJ and they have great chemistry. She is actually great as Pepper, contrary to popular believe she is a good actress.

by Anonymousreply 14304/08/2013

143: Gwyneth is as good at acting as you are at grammar.

by Anonymousreply 14404/08/2013

I just don't understand how I can love Blythe Danner the way I do, and hate Gwyneth with such a passion. I guess it's similar for me though with Goldie Hawn and Kate Hudson, although I don't find Kate nearly as annoying as Paltrow.

by Anonymousreply 14504/08/2013

R144 Maybe you are good at grammar, but you sure don't know much about acting.

by Anonymousreply 14604/08/2013

I find her completely irritating in the Iron Man movies. She just doesn't fit. And I disagree that RDJ has any chemistry with Goop. The whole thing is a bore and should be cut from the movies.

by Anonymousreply 14704/08/2013

Let me guess, R147 is Scarlett Johannson, still jealous she didn't get a part in Iron Man 3

by Anonymousreply 14804/08/2013

Why in god's name would Scarlett be jealous of Goop?

She had a big part in The Avengers and will be paid mega $$$ to be in The Avengers 2. And she's still young and viable.

Let's face it, Queen Gwyneth wouldn't be resorting to writing useless cookbooks if she had anything resembling a credible acting career. My god, even stupid Jennifer Aniston is a more viable actress these days. That's got to smart!

by Anonymousreply 14904/08/2013

Scarlett is not going to be in Avengers 2. Nor is Jeremy Renner.

They're getting rid of those characters just like they regularly do in the comics to bring in new heroes: Ant-Man and the Wasp.

by Anonymousreply 15004/08/2013

Everything I've read confirms that Jeremy and Scarlett will be back.

by Anonymousreply 15104/08/2013

Scarlett got no jobs lined up except her theater work. They are casting Emily Blunt (who was supped to be Black Widow in IM2)for Avengers 2. Scarlett was the least interesting and least favourite actress in Avengers.

by Anonymousreply 15204/08/2013

Chris Martin looks like a dork and his music is very overrated.

by Anonymousreply 15304/08/2013

Be that as it may, Scarlett is 26 and still hot, so she's still farther ahead than Gwyneth, whose career is OVER.

by Anonymousreply 15404/08/2013

[quote]I have to wonder if Chris's bandmates/friends/colleagues/groupies openly laugh at him for being married to this quack, or if they keep that to themselves.

Are you familiar with the story of how the name "Apple" came about? Of course Gwyneth goes on TV and talks about how it just symbolizes purity and simplicity and that is why she chose it.

She omits the part about how it was the name of a child belonging to one of Coldplay's people (I think one of their managers) and they took the name without acknowledging that it wasn't an original idea.

by Anonymousreply 15504/08/2013

Steals scripts, steals baby names. I wonder if she's stolen any of the cockamamie ideas in her cookbook.

by Anonymousreply 15604/08/2013

R155, you're right except it was one of the Farrelly brothers who directed Gwyneth in Shallow Hal. (the publicity tour for that one brought out some classic Gywnnie quotes about fat people).

by Anonymousreply 15704/08/2013

To me, this advertisement as a Masai warrior says it all.

by Anonymousreply 15804/08/2013

Although I always appreciated this as a response.

by Anonymousreply 15904/08/2013

I'll admit she's a decent actress because, despite hating her on sight normally, I have liked her in a few things like Royal Tennenbaums, Iron Man and Glee.

I do wonder if her "rich girl in a bubble" schtick is genuine or an act.

by Anonymousreply 16004/08/2013

[quote]criticized for making eating good seem like something only the super wealthy can afford.

[quote]And according to The Atlantic, “It’s All Good seems to take laughable Hollywood neuroticism about eating to the next level.”

But, aren't the super-wealthy and Hollywood-neurotic her target audience?

Aren't there a glut of regular cookbooks for people who can't afford Gywneth's recipes?

Yes, she's insufferable, but I'm perplexed as to why actual critics would even say much. You always hear "she's tone deaf to the plight of every day people." But, everyday people have much more to to be concerned about than Paltrow acknowledging them via her cookbook. I don't know many real people who would be concerned one way or the other.

Again, she's lame, but the whole "controversy" seems made-up. I don't have money, yet I'm supposed to be deeply bothered because she does and won't provide an omlette recipe for my broke ass.

by Anonymousreply 16104/08/2013

It's kind of funny that Gwyneth doesn't seem to give a fuck. She's been criticized for this same stuff since she started GOOP but she keeps going and going being more pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 16204/08/2013

The super wealthy have people cooking for them. They don't buy cookbooks, especially not by actresses. For someone so obsessed with class you really don't get it at all, r161.

by Anonymousreply 16304/08/2013

[quote]It absolutely infuriated some people that I acknowledged that social class exists. There was never any judgment implied, that one class was better than another

Figures. You can't discuss social class on DL without being labeled a snob. This is similar to much of America, however.

by Anonymousreply 16404/08/2013

Acknowledging class differences in America gets you branded a socialist anymore, thanks to Fox News and their cohorts.

by Anonymousreply 16504/08/2013

R143, no one is saying she isn't a good actor. You're deflecting from the actual point.

by Anonymousreply 16604/08/2013

A few years ago Entertainment Weekly did a survey of Academy members asking which Oscar decisions they'd most like to switch. GOOP's win over Cate Blanchett was at the top by quite a margin.

I hope she saw that article.

by Anonymousreply 16704/08/2013

R167 I'd love to see her reaction to that.

by Anonymousreply 16804/08/2013

Tee hee.

by Anonymousreply 16904/08/2013

Well, if they took the name without acknowledging it how come you and I both know this story of where the name came from? I am no GP fan, by any means, but that's a pretty dumb criticism.

by Anonymousreply 17004/08/2013

Not only was her Oscar speech hideous (topped perhaps only by Berry who was a lot better at least) but her introduction to Spacey at the 2000 Awards was absolutely vile.

Before the nominees clips came up, she made sure she got an opportunity to cover her ass and said "you'll all remember how much of a wimp I was!" which was met with a tumbleweed eye rolling response. Yes dear, make someone else's moment all about YOU again.

by Anonymousreply 17104/08/2013

Sorry, my post was in response to R155.

by Anonymousreply 17204/08/2013

[quote]But, aren't the super-wealthy and Hollywood-neurotic her target audience?

No, not at all. Look at her website for it and look at the book cover. It's being marketed to the everyday middle-class person.

by Anonymousreply 17304/08/2013

This is just DL wanting to be upset about something, as always. This can't seriously bother people. If it does, kudos for having no real problems.

by Anonymousreply 17404/08/2013

R170, did it ever occur to you that we know the story because *other* people revealed the truth upon hearing the bullshit being spread by Paltrow? You have heard of that, right?

You have heard of someone being called out on their bullshit by other people, yes? We know the story because obviously those who knew Paltrow was full of shit wanted to make sure others knew she was full of shit when explaining why she chose "Apple."

by Anonymousreply 17504/08/2013

What other people? I read her explanation in an interview she gave. I still think your criticism was dumb.

by Anonymousreply 17604/08/2013

Did anyone here ever see her presenting an award to Anthony Hopkins? She gave a little speech about him and kept saying.ANT-ony Hopkins, ANT-ony Hopkins. I was like wtf? They asked him about it and he was like "uh, most people just call me Tony.

by Anonymousreply 17704/08/2013

Now here is an example of nouveau riche. Her family is devoid of old money and breeding.

by Anonymousreply 17804/08/2013

R178 is correct. I know someone who does come from money and breeding who was at Spence with Gwynnie. She describes Goop thusly: A jumped up little bitch then, a jumped up little bitch now.

by Anonymousreply 17904/08/2013

She thinks her recipes are affordable for the average family:

[quote]But how practical and affordable are the recipes in Paltrow's book - such as grilled duck and grilled pink snapper - for working families on a budget? "I know a lot of people can't afford to buy organic food - that is a luxury, I understand that," says the actress. "But there's nothing in the book that's expensive. I think these recipes are great because they are easy, they don't take a long time and they're not complicated. It's all about where you put your priorities.

I guess that answers the question of whether she's trying to appeal to the middle class frau.

Also, as to why she doesn't work much. It's because she can't be without her children.

[quote]"Doing a movie, you are not home. There are mothers I know who star in films and they're totally fine with it. I have way too much motherly guilt to do that. I remember I was doing a film in New York a few years ago and I didn't see my kids at all for four days. I left the house at 5.30am and I came home at nine at night and I just thought, 'This is not for me, I don't want to miss this much of their lives,' so I have been very selective in my approach to doing films.

She's SO much better than all of the other movie star moms!

by Anonymousreply 18004/08/2013

Does anyone have advice on how to successfully craft a query letter? The response to my mother's latest cookbook has given me the idea of my own project called "The Last Supper." Basically, it'll feature all-natural recipes intended to rid oneself of a horrid mothe...I mean, relative.

by Anonymousreply 18104/08/2013

It's ridiculous for her to say there's nothing in the book that's expensive. She has a recipe for duck egg white omelettes. I don't even know where I can buy them where I live and I found them online for $50 for 20. She's nuts if dropping $50 is within the average person's budget. I don't care that she makes super expensive food, but don't go around saying it's not.

by Anonymousreply 18204/08/2013

I completely agree with R12.

This is very crafty on her part.

The market is full of crappy downmarketeers like Rachael Ray and Sandra Lee, who slap together meals out of canned supermarket shit.

There's a huge opportunity for someone to appeal to the aspirational side of many frauen.

You can easily dumb down Goop's recipes — use normal eggs instead of duck eggs, and decent honey instead of a $25 jar, and the recipe will still be healthy and kind of fancy — but you can't class up Sandra Lee's franks-and-beans.

by Anonymousreply 18304/08/2013

R163 thinks the ultra wealthy have chefs cooking for them at every homestead. You've never lived the life so why are YOU talking? Huh, peasant?

by Anonymousreply 18404/08/2013

Genetically gifted people with educations laugh at Gwyneth Paltrow. Didn't you know this?

by Anonymousreply 18504/08/2013

I long for the days when we didn't see her for four days. Ugh, can someone throw the bitch a role and get her out of the house?

by Anonymousreply 18604/08/2013

Attention all film actors with children: you are horrible parents.

by Anonymousreply 18704/08/2013

I've found a Gwyneth hater but I think he died.

by Anonymousreply 18804/08/2013

Wait until she goes into politics.

by Anonymousreply 18904/08/2013

[quote]You can easily dumb down Goop's recipes — use normal eggs instead of duck eggs, and decent honey instead of a $25 jar, and the recipe will still be healthy and kind of fancy — but you can't class up Sandra Lee's franks-and-beans.

There's nothing fancy about a hard boiled egg, fish fingers or tuna salad, other than Goop's stupidly expensive ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 19004/08/2013

I don't really get the crazy hate on her, nor am I a follower of her, don't buy or read her books, hardly ever been to her website. I saw her cooking on TV a few times and as I have been an avid cook for quite a number of years I think I can say she knows her way around in the kitchen and her interest in cooking seems genuine. The things she was preparing made sense in terms of healthy cooking.

I do believe she is a hands on mom, as she did not have a nanny while she was on her acting hiatus. She is not pulling a Jennifer Garner and exploiting her kids in daily photo ops for her own publicity.

As for her acting abilities. She was great in Tennenbaums, Sky Captain (acting circles around Jude Law), Shakespeare and she was amazing in Hard Eight (completely cast against type). I like her a lot as Pepper in the Iron Man movies. Whether she deserved her Oscar, I don't know but there were heaps of actresses in the last 10 years who shouldn't have been nominated, let alone shouldn't have won.

by Anonymousreply 19104/08/2013

R191 everything you said is true. It's the shit that comes out of her mouth that drives people nuts.

by Anonymousreply 19204/08/2013

I have always liked her as an actress, R191. I even find her sort of sexy, or used to. This new career of hers is destroying any attraction, and I laugh now when I see her in movies. In America's current deliberately manufactured depression, she's our own Marie Antoinette. Which she could have played to perfection before she made a fool of herself with her dopey books and self-appointed perfect mom/wife trip. Especially when her marriage now appears to be fictional.

by Anonymousreply 19304/08/2013

She's not exploiting her kid 191 because her daughter has a huge crossed eye and crimps her image.

by Anonymousreply 19404/08/2013

[quote]I have always liked her as an actress, [R191]. I even find her sort of sexy, or used to.

Sorry to hear your bar is set so low. Sad face.

by Anonymousreply 19504/08/2013

lol R195. Can't help it. I crushed on her in Tenenbaums and possibly the first Iron Man. It's okay, I'm cured.

by Anonymousreply 19604/08/2013

She provided the biggest laugh in Avengers. The part where she does that stupid "look at me I'm walking on my toes in my sexy daisy dukes" walk...people in the theater were giggling and snickering like crazy. Notice how we are treated to a full body shot?

by Anonymousreply 19804/08/2013

"Look at her website for it and look at the book cover. It's being marketed to the everyday middle-class person."

If the upper classes think of her at all, they think of her as a nouveau riche famewhore with ideas above her station, and they wouldn't dream of asking Juanita to cook anything from her book.

Gwynneth markets to the middle classes because they might be blindly "aspirational" enough to buy her act.

by Anonymousreply 19904/09/2013

She's full of shit. Here's a quote to Dr. Oz.

"Well, it's actually not true. They're not on an elimination diet at all. What it is, is that my son has very bad eczema and he's allergic to gluten and he's allergic to cow dairy. I try at home to make everything gluten-free for him because the difference in his comfort is unbelievable when he's sticking to what he's meant to be eating. I don't know where they get some of this stuff! They say I don't give my kids carbs, and I'm feeding them seaweed…I have no idea. But they eat Oreos, too, and they're normal kids."

Gwynnie dear Oreos are NOT gluten-free so your kid is not gluten intolerant. It's just your food issues being transferred onto him.

by Anonymousreply 20004/10/2013

I thought her kids have been seen at McDonald's with their father. I doubt they have anything gluten-free except fries and maybe those apples.

by Anonymousreply 20104/11/2013

I spend 20 Min browsing her book recently and honestly I have no idea why people say she has no idea about healthy eating. A lot of the recipes in the book are what would I cook on a daily basis. Maybe it's Americans who don't like or who don't understand her way of preparing food. The fact that the US is one of the top countries regarding obesity, I assume most people have no idea what healthy cooking is anyway.

by Anonymousreply 20307/01/2013

At least she got her damn book published.

by Anonymousreply 20407/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!