Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is Jennifer Lawrence Perfect?

Actress Seems To Get Away With Everything While Others ... Not So Much

Jennifer Lawrence is undoubtedly having a moment.With shelves chock-full of awards, the 22-year-old actress has flocks of adoring fans and is even the object of Jack Nicholson's affection. But is this mass adoration skewed? Does Jennifer Lawrence simply get away with the same things that make other celebrities sweat? Let's test this theory:

The Offense: Smoking Weed

Lawrence was spotted smoking a suspicious-looking cigarette on her hotel balcony, mere days after winning an Oscar for Best Actress. Her photos went viral in no time and the support was quick to pour in, with reader comments ranging from "I think that's great!!!!!" to "As if I needed another reason to like her," "You deserve it Jen," "Good for her!" and "Good, now I like her even more!" Even the media refrained from using obvious "Hunger Games" puns, as The Cut pointed out, and went for the dry and informative likes of "Smoking Hot! Jennifer Lawrence Spotted With Suspicious Looking Cigarette In Hawaii" and "Jennifer Lawrence Lets Loose in Hawaii." No shocking headlines, no judgment passed. A week had gone by, and neither the actress nor her reps, have addressed the issue.

A month before Lawrence, snapshots of teen idol Justin Bieber smoking what appeared to be a blunt circulated the Web. It sparked such a controversy that the singer used his platform as "Saturday Night Live" host to apologize for the incident, saying (in character) that "he's really sorry" and "he'll never do it again." Two years earlier, a video of Disney pop tart Miley Cyrus taking a bong hit churned so much backlash (even though it wasn't weed she was smoking, but salvia), the Disney star issued an apology in the pages of Marie Claire. "I'm disappointed in myself for disappointing my fans," Miley said, adding that role models cannot afford to make mistakes. Her father, Billy Ray, tweeted an apology as well.

by Anonymousreply 14108/01/2013

The Offense: Dissing Meryl Streep

When she won a Golden Globe this year, Lawrence began her speech with "I beat Meryl!", a line from the movie "The First Wives Club." When critics, award show pundits and Lindsay Lohan didn't get the pun, hordes of commenters and fans swooped in to Lawrence's defense. Her classic '90s reference may have propelled her even higher in the realm of comedic marvel.

In a 2010 interview, Sharon Stone took a jab at the world's greatest living actress, saying Streep looks like "an unmade bed." Though later explained to have been taken out of context, an intended compliment rather than an insult meaning Streep is an "everywoman," fans worldwide took offense and called Stone "rude" and "jealous."

The Offense: Talking About Her Bowel Movements

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Lawrence discussed the family tradition her brothers passed on to her and which she passed on to her "Hunger Games" co-stars, Josh Hutcherson and Sam Claflin. "As soon as somebody farts around me, I think it's hilarious," she said. "This is something my brothers did that now the boys at work are obsessed with. You cup it, and then you throw it in someone's face and say, 'Take a bite out of that cheeseburger!'" Her overly candid remark was perceived as "charming," genuine and amusing.

When Megan Fox discussed her bathroom antics in a 2007 interview with FHM, it was hardly a breath of fresh air. "I forget to flush the toilet. Friends will tell me, 'Megan, you totally pinched a loaf in my toilet and didn’t flush,'" the actress said. Her comment was seen as gross and dumb, and she was labeled a pig.

The Offense: A (Sort Of) Wardrobe Malfunction

On her way to the stage to accept the SAG award, Lawrence's Dior Couture dressed "ripped" -- or rather, the sheer paneling beneath the layers showed for a brief moment. No one came after her personally for it (why would they?) and the incident was explained to everyone's satisfaction the next day.

When Anne Hathaway opted for a last minute wardrobe change before the Oscars, her pink Prada dress quickly spawned a Twitter handle mocking her appearance: @HathawayNipple. Though clearly a faulty design in the bust area, Hathaway had to take the fall (and the ensuing backlash) for the "malfunction."

The Offense: Messing With PETA

A year ago, Lawrence was quoted in Rolling Stone magazine as saying "I should say it wasn't real, for PETA -- but screw PETA" when referencing the squirrel she had to skin in "Winter's Bone." Her remark did get her in some hot water with the bellicose organization at the time, but it was not nearly as intense as some of PETA's other celebrity strifes. "She's young and the plight of animals somehow hasn't yet touched her heart," PETA president Ingrid Newkirk said after the interview came out, but then added: "That was just a throw-away remark." This is a somewhat atypical statement from the aggressive group that frequently blasts celebrities with much more scathing assertions. Stars who weren't as lucky as Lawrence: Kim Kardashian, Kanye West, Sharon Stone, Lady Gaga, Reese Witherspoon, Beyonce, Elizabeth Hurley and Nicole Richie, to name a few.

by Anonymousreply 104/05/2013

She's not perfect, but I like her a great deal.

by Anonymousreply 204/05/2013

Oh please she is so free and fabulous and talented - who would want to dump on her?

by Anonymousreply 304/05/2013

Its going to come back and bite her, watch. The more they push her the more people will begin to turn on her.

Its happened with other actresses.

by Anonymousreply 404/05/2013

Of course not. The fact that she admits to not being perfect is in her favor. .

It's those celebrities who act hypocritical to the image they present to the public that make fun targets.

by Anonymousreply 504/05/2013

She has a sense of humor and lacks pretension.

She is also smart and genuinely, extremely talented.

Not much to hate there—especially compared to the other actors of her generation.

by Anonymousreply 604/05/2013

Proof that Jennifer Lawrence loves her gays!

Will be guest speaker at GLAAD Awards.

by Anonymousreply 704/05/2013

Smoking a joint and having a glass of wine while on vacation doesn't warrant a scandal in my book. She was in her hotel room and the photographer used a telescopic lens to get that shot. What if she had been having sex? It was an invasion of her privacy. She was kidding with the line about Meryl Streep. Christ, grow a sense of humor. She had a dress malfunction. The only thing we saw were her toned and tanned thighs. No pantyless crotch shot. No nipslip. Come on, now. She grew up with two brothers and likes bathroom humor. So sue her. I'm not familiar with the PETA business but since the choice to wear the skin was written in the script and was realistic for character she was playing in a MOVIE, I can see why it would annoy her. All in all I think she's talented, unaffected, beautiful and real. Trying to embroil her in manufactured controversy and not even close to being scandalous situations, when there are so many more deserving targets in show business, reeks of desperation. Give the kid a break.

by Anonymousreply 804/05/2013

If her fans consider her comments about farts (she likes them) to be "charming, genuine and amusing" then they must all be a bunch of retards. They would like they are: "she is so free and fabulous and talented!"...Jesus.

And she doesn't see so "smart" to me. In fact, she sounds like she's drunk or stoned most of the time. And she probably is. I think it's safe to say that if she became a drug addict or alcoholic her fans would say "I think that's great!!!!!" "As if I needed another reason to like her!" "You deserve it Jen!" "Good for her!" "Good, now I like her even more!"

by Anonymousreply 904/05/2013

Anne, is that you?

by Anonymousreply 1104/05/2013

Anne loves her gays too, but that hasn't stopped them from ripping her to shreds over some alleged obnoxious behavior.

I like Jennifer, but I agree that the fan overload is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 1204/05/2013

She's only 22. Her appeal is that she seems to be having fun, and is funny (as opposed to Kristen Stewart, who seems nervous or sometimes resentful of attention). My fear for Jennifer Lawrence is that she is not going to demonstrate much range (and we've already seen her take on every role, much like Julia Roberts).

by Anonymousreply 1304/05/2013

R9 It's the effect of reality TV on society. People seem to get offended by anyone who comes across as highly intellectual. They're perceived as a threat.

Nowadays people get so worked up over the ordinary it's really sad. And the entertainment business is the LAST place you want ordinary.

by Anonymousreply 1404/05/2013

She's only on the upside now. She'll have her downside soon enough. I like her enough.

by Anonymousreply 1604/05/2013

You can't teach or coach or fake likeability. And likeability is the reason actresses like Jennifer Lawrence and Sandra Bullock can get away with things that Julia Roberts and Anne Hathaway can't.

by Anonymousreply 1704/05/2013

R17 - Julia Roberts used to be likeable.

by Anonymousreply 1804/05/2013

During the Mystic Pizza/ Pretty Woman era, Julia was likable.

by Anonymousreply 2004/05/2013

I think it was for about 2 minutes back in 1990 R19. This was before the internets.

by Anonymousreply 2104/05/2013

r20 No, she wasn't. Not to anybody who came into even the briefest contact with her.

by Anonymousreply 2204/05/2013

Julia may be a bitch, but she was wildly popular in the 1990's. Jennifer Lawrence has not yet opened a movie on her own.

by Anonymousreply 2304/05/2013

Not to mention that she "collaborated" on "We Saw Your Boobs," but none of the rad fems directed any vitriol toward her.

by Anonymousreply 2404/05/2013

"Oh please she is so free and fabulous and talented - who would want to dump on her?"

Wait a little while. She's so overexposed that there's going to be a backlash, especially here where the Hater Squads come to play.

Is she going to be able to handle the emergence of Haters, as young as she is? Probably not, the only actress of recent years who's been able to do that is Angelina Jolie, who seems to thrive on it.

by Anonymousreply 2504/05/2013

She's coarse and has had at least two nose jobs. Takes a fat pig to know one.

by Anonymousreply 2704/05/2013

Compared to her main rival, Kristen Stewart, she IS perfect.

by Anonymousreply 2804/05/2013

Like her, too, though her acting isn't quite as fabulous as made out to be. Not the greatest of ranges. Right now, she can do no wrong. In a few years, she won't be able to do anything right.

by Anonymousreply 2904/05/2013

R13 I think she's about to show a lot of range. Her next movie with Bradley Cooper called "Serena" is very dark and sexual. It's not like her other characters at all. I recommend the book it's based on highly.

by Anonymousreply 3004/05/2013

I've been a fan of her acting since Winter's Bone, but the thing that convinced me that she's genuinely a nice person was that link to a video interviewing a mentally disabled friend of hers from her hometown that someone posted here. It was really sweet and showed that she's truly a caring person who doesn't just suck up to people who will make her look "cool" or whatever. It's not like I worship her now; she's just a fucking actress, but I do like her.

As far as the weed pics go - Why should there be any "backlash" over that shit? Kristen Stewart had pics taken of her obviously smoking a bowl (also on private property) right around the time the first Twilight came out, and there was no real backlash over that either even though no one but the Twitards even likes her or considers her talented. Smoking weed in a non-public place does not equal one drunken car crash after another (or any other of Lohan's antics - if all she'd done was get photographed smoking a joint on a balcony one time, no one would be having the conversations about her that are being had today). Really, no one cares about such nonsense except for maybe a few right wing prude idiots who happened to see the pics. Miley was only made to apologize because she was a Disney star.

by Anonymousreply 3104/05/2013

"She is the most talented living actress in her age range."

Please, sir, who is the most talented dead actress in her age range?

by Anonymousreply 3204/05/2013

I read the title as pregnant. I'm glad this isn't another post about how "fat" she is.

by Anonymousreply 3304/05/2013

"She is the most talented living actress in her age range. She is harmless, funny, doesn't seem to be "Hollywood" wild, grounded, down to earth and above all a fantastic actress."

The "most talented living actress in her age range?" I seriously doubt that. She's probably the luckiest one though; an Oscar at her young age, an undeserved Oscar by the way.

And she's not "Hollywood wild?" Give her time. She doesn't seem to be a slouch in the Hollywood wild department right now. She's been photographed smoking pot. She's been photographed with a bottle of booze in her hand. And it's been reported that since her Oscar win she's been partying it up with abandon. She's definitely no angel.

by Anonymousreply 3404/05/2013

Who under 25 is more talented than Jennifer Lawrence?

by Anonymousreply 3504/05/2013

You think drinking a glass of wine and smoking a joint is "wild?" Are you 105?

by Anonymousreply 3604/05/2013

r34 I didn't like that stupid movie she won the AA for, but - admit - she was the only thing worth watching in it.

She deserved the AA for Winter's Bone, which was quiet, serious, and remarkable.

by Anonymousreply 3704/05/2013

Winter's Bone is one of the best movies of the past decade. Both Jennifer Lawrence AND John Hawkes deserved Oscars for it.

Now that Lawrence has her Oscar, the Academy needs to wake up and honor Hawkes. It's. shame he didnt get a nomination for Sessions. It would've been cool see both win this year.

by Anonymousreply 3804/05/2013

I like her. She seems down to earth and unpretentious. Plus she's talented. I can't think of any of the young "it" girls in recent years who I've liked as much as JL.

by Anonymousreply 4004/05/2013

[quote]She's been photographed smoking pot. She's been photographed with a bottle of booze in her hand

Many, many people under the age of 80 who have experienced any sort of social life probably could have been photographed under similar circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 4104/05/2013

Emma Stone is just as good as Jennifer and she has range.

by Anonymousreply 4204/05/2013

R42 I like Emma Stone but she really hasn't shown any range thus far.

by Anonymousreply 4304/05/2013

Emma Stone is cute but is an OK actress at best and has n annoying lisp.

by Anonymousreply 4404/05/2013

"You think drinking a glass of wine and smoking a joint is "wild?" Are you 105?"

The point is, you idiot, that she is not a perfect little angel like some dumbasses seem to think she is. She obviously likes to get drunk and stoned, and from recent reports she likes to get drunk and stoned a LOT. Which indicates a certain lack of judgement on her part. But hey, it's her life; if she wants to get fucked up a lot, that's her choice. But please don't make this bitch out to be "perfect." She is definitely NOT perfect.

by Anonymousreply 4504/05/2013

"Who under 25 is more talented than Jennifer Lawrence/"

So you think there's no actress on earth under 25 who is more talented than Jennifer Lawrence? Boy, that's stupid.

by Anonymousreply 4604/05/2013

People here may like her, R45, but nobody has said she's an angel. They've said she's NORMAL. And drinking wine and getting stoned is normal behavior for a 22 year old.

by Anonymousreply 4704/05/2013

Jennifer doesn't "TRY". She just is. She is self deprecating, she has a sense of humor, she's good natured, and she is candid and unfettered.

She endears herself and she's also great for journalists because you never know WTF will come out of her mouth. She's very open. The people the press lampoons are the ones who pretend to be something they aren't. No one wants Little Miss Perfect.

Look at the way the media is finally turning on Taylor Swift. She's in recovery mode right now, and buying off the outlets who were trashing her, but it won't last. Taylor is a sharp contrast to Jennifer. Jennifer is 22 and Taylor is 23. The only goodwill Taylor has is the good will she buys. You don't tell Tina Fey in effect, to go to hell, and show how thin-skinned you are and expect the media to not go there.

Jennifer is like Charlie Sheen and Robert Downey Jr. without the drugs. People just find her enormously likeable and real. Same goes for Channing Tatum. marginal talent, good looks, but a really likeable guy, who doesn't take himself seriously.

by Anonymousreply 4804/06/2013

No, but I know ways she can be!

by Anonymousreply 4904/06/2013

She is just hype, getting the Oscar was a complete joke. She is a mediocre actress, and look wise she is a bit overrated.

by Anonymousreply 5004/06/2013

R50, do you really think she is overrated as an actress? I really do find her to be incredibly talented with a wide range.

by Anonymousreply 5104/06/2013

I've yet to see any wide range from her. All her roles so far could have been filled by other actresses. None are game changers or are memorable enough. She's a good actress but certainly not the hype she's getting.

The Oscar was not deserved, but that's been the trend in the last 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 5204/06/2013

She's untested. I would love to see her do well, but she's had 3 roles. I have heard no buzz about Serena.

by Anonymousreply 5304/06/2013

R51 Sorry she is far from talented, and one she definitely doesn't have is range. Every 5 years Hollywood pushes some other cute faced girl and guy in our faces. Stone, Tatum, Lawrence, Johannson, Levitt (he looks stupid though), Hemsworth. None of them have serious acting chops.

SLP was Cooper's show, he was surprisingly good actually.

by Anonymousreply 5404/06/2013

R54 - Which young actors/actresses have the acting chops?

by Anonymousreply 5504/06/2013

I have to agree that she's a bit overrated. I think she's a good actress but I was amazed she got an Oscar for SLP. She was good in the role but I thought Cooper outshined her immensely.

by Anonymousreply 5604/06/2013

Has anyone seen The Poker House?

by Anonymousreply 5804/06/2013

How is quietly drinking a glass of wine on your hotel balcony wild? How many 22 year olds smoke pot once in a while? Big deal.

by Anonymousreply 5904/06/2013

Mia Wasikowska and Carey Mulligan are WAY more talented than JLaw.

by Anonymousreply 6004/06/2013

Carey Mulligan is going to ruin The Great Gatsby with her non-stop head tilting and Mia Wasikowska seems like she's constantly on the verge of passing out. At best, they are as good as Lawrence.

Juno Temple is better than them all.

by Anonymousreply 6104/06/2013

It's really not about who's prettier or who's more talented. It's the elusive "IT" factor. Some have it and some don't. You can name all these young actresses who are "better" or more deserving than JL, but it doesn't matter. It's Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 6304/06/2013

Sorry to burst your bubble, but her nose was thinned out and she got bigger boobs. Look at pictures of her when she was younger. There is nothing wrong with it, but it does make all the hype around her even more ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 6504/06/2013

Did you see Carey in Shame, An Education, Drive or Never Let Me Go?

I would do more than head tilting if I had to kiss ugly bloated head DiCaprio

by Anonymousreply 6604/06/2013

R65, I've seen pictures of her as a child and those stupid before and after pictures where in one she has a huge smile and the other she's wearing a ton of makeup and there's an almost unnoticeable difference. I'm not seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 6704/06/2013

There is no way she had a boob job. They looked bouncy and natural during all that dancing in Silver Linings.

by Anonymousreply 6804/06/2013

R65 I don't know about the nose but boobs do change in size depending on weight and also age. She is only 22 so it's normal if her boobs have grown since she was a teenager.

by Anonymousreply 6904/06/2013

She did not have a boob job.

by Anonymousreply 7004/06/2013

R66, I saw her in all of those and thought she was great (though miscast in Drive). I never said she was bad, I just wouldn't put her above Lawrence. Plus she lacks the screen presence that Jennifer has.

But yes, Mulligan is great, though she is once again being miscast, this time in Gatsby.

by Anonymousreply 7104/06/2013

R61 That Great Gatsby looks like it's going to be a shit show.

by Anonymousreply 7204/06/2013

R67 I don't think she got a nose job either. Of course her nose will look different from a different angle. Her head is tilting down in the second pic.

by Anonymousreply 7304/06/2013

Oh yeah, all natural. Do not call me to play her mother.

by Anonymousreply 7404/06/2013

I saw her on some talk show talking about how she realized her breasts are different sizes in an x-ray. If she'd had a boob job, I think they would fix that.

by Anonymousreply 7504/06/2013

She's an okay actress, and she's young so she'll have opportunity to improve.

But I'm not buying the plastic surgery rumors. Not because I think she's above it or anyhting, but looking at pictures -- it's just not there. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 7604/06/2013

Rooney mara is a way better actress than lawrence and vastly underrated too

oh and stone can't act for shit along with stewart.

by Anonymousreply 7704/06/2013

Carey Mulligan is way more mature as an actress than Jennifer Lawrence. She would have never been able to play Sissy in Shame. Carey was great and not miscast in Drive. Ppl don't understand European sensibility.

Jennifer Lawrence is Emma Stone level. Pretty face, hype not much more. Give her 5 years.

by Anonymousreply 7804/06/2013

[quote]She would have never been able to play Sissy in Shame.

And Carey would have NEVER been able to play Ree in Winter's Bone or Katniss in Hunger Games. They're different actresses. Carey plays soft, Jennifer plays hard. They're both great, what's with the need to pit them against each other?

by Anonymousreply 7904/06/2013

You have way too much time on your hands OP.

by Anonymousreply 8104/06/2013

Dakota Fanning is much more interesting than Miss Lawrence.

Jennifer is going to end up as the next Gwyneth. Goopy 2.0.

by Anonymousreply 8204/06/2013

Who is pushing this girl on the public, and for what purpose?

by Anonymousreply 8304/06/2013

I agree, R9. I never got the love for her. To me she's just annoying. I don't think what she's saying is "sweet" or "amusing". She just blurts out all the things that comes to her mind, and she somehow gets away with it, because it's charming or whatever. It's sorta white trash, and it makes her look even dumber.

by Anonymousreply 8404/06/2013

R82 Just with the difference that Goop is actually a great actress.

by Anonymousreply 8504/06/2013

Goop is an adequate actress, certainly not a great one.

Carey Mulligan is horribly miscast in The Great Gatsby. It's actually sad. I like her, but I must say, every role she plays, I always think Michelle Williams would have done a better job.

Mia W - character actress.

Emma Stone is better at comedy than drama. But she's immensely likeable on screen, which is an important skill to have. That will take her farther than anything.

Kristen Stewart - over

Jennifer Lawrence is the only one (outside of Emma Stone) who has both the skills to be a good actress and the charisma to be a movie star.

by Anonymousreply 8604/06/2013

[quote]Evan Rachel Wood, Emily Blunt, Michelle Williams Mia Wasikowska, Keira Knightley, Mila Kunis, Anna Kendrick, Amanda Seyfried are all more interesting actresses

Amanda Seyfried plays dumb. That's it.

Mila Kunis - valley girl, no range

Keira Knightley acts with her jaw. She's irritating!

by Anonymousreply 8704/06/2013

I think the "go to" actresses for this generation are JLaw, Emma Stone, Carey Mulligan Michelle Williams, AnnE Hathaway,Jessica Chastain, and Amanda Seyfried.We're talking the under 35 crowd.

I know Hathaway and Williams are in their early 30's, but these are the ones that will be in every worthwhile movie and many not so worthwhile movie.

Unfortunately, there are no women of color being promoted in this age group that I can think of which is really an embarrassment for H'wood. Once you get past Kerry Washington, Jennifer Hudson, and Beyonce, what's left?

by Anonymousreply 8804/06/2013

You know, this is her time. Jennifer Lawrence has a lot riding on her shoulders right now. She is a huge investment for the movie suits. She has two franchises to work, Hunger Games and the Wolverine franchise. Hollywood takes the hot movie star and hypes them into the ground, then they walk away.So right now they have her in our faces.

by Anonymousreply 8904/06/2013

I love her and her crudeness. At least she seems like an actor I'd want to hang out and smoke weed with. Amanda Seyfried is another - totally weird chick, but I love that.

by Anonymousreply 9004/06/2013

Emma Stone and Jennifer Lawrence are probably the most overrated actresses around. Both of them have limited range and little charisma. Everybody acted circles around Emma in The Help. She was very unconvincing in Gangster Squad and that other chick flick with Gosling. Jennifer Lawrence was very meh in Hunger Games, and was only OK in Winters Bone and SLP. SLP belonged to Cooper, who was surprisingly good!

Stone and Lawrence are like Scarlett Johannson. Interesting faces but very little talent.

Mila Kunis was heaps better than Portman in Black Swan. Amanda Seyfried acted opposite Julianne Moore in Chloe and absolutely pulled it off.

Goop is definitely a talented actress.

by Anonymousreply 9104/06/2013

I know, Stone and Lawrence totally suck, R91.

by Anonymousreply 9204/06/2013

She has a fat, lemon-sucking face. And she's dull.

by Anonymousreply 9304/06/2013

Why should it be surprising to learn that a young woman smokes pot in this day in age? Or to expect that if she's a celebrity and on one cares she's "getting away with it"?

What would be the height of hypocrisy is if anyone gave a shit, let alone criticized her for it.

Then again it is surprising when anything in this fucking country avoids the jaundice of hypocrisy.

by Anonymousreply 9404/06/2013

I like her, but her face seems very artificial somehow, immobile! Are her cheeks injected with stuff? She doesn't seem to be able to move her face, though she has beautiful eyes. It's the first thing I thought when I saw her in a movie.

by Anonymousreply 9504/06/2013

She looks like a younger Renee Zellwegger. I wonder if she will get all squinty.

by Anonymousreply 9604/06/2013

She was much too young for the part in SLP and a little out of her depth. The part should have gone to an actress in her 30s. I just saw "Rust and Bone" and the Oscar for Lawrence was undeserved.

by Anonymousreply 9704/06/2013

Blame Harvey Weinstein who strong-armed everyone to get her that damned Oscar. Putting her ahead of Marion Cotillard was a travesty.

by Anonymousreply 9804/06/2013

R97. Totally.

by Anonymousreply 9904/06/2013

R96 - she doesn't look like Renee.

by Anonymousreply 10004/06/2013

I have not read any of these reports. She doesn't have a reputation as a partier and she's been working consistently since the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 10204/06/2013

She drinks, but she hasn't gone wild drinking.

by Anonymousreply 10304/06/2013

R101 Where do read these reports? All I've seen is that she's up in Boston filming that new David O Russel movie. The only thing about her social life I've read recently is that she's been spotted out to dinners with Bradley Cooper and Emma Stone. Wild I tell you.

by Anonymousreply 10404/06/2013

Lawrence has a limited range, r31?

Have you seen any two movies she's done? I mean, really? Have you?

by Anonymousreply 10504/06/2013

Not r31 but yes r105, its been clear that most here have seen more then one of her films.

by Anonymousreply 10604/06/2013

R101, link to these reports?

by Anonymousreply 10704/06/2013

The criticisms about her range as an actress are absurd. Her performance in Winter's Bone is nothing like her performance in Hunger Games which is nothing like her performance in SLP.

What I really like about Lawrence as an acvtress is that she adapts her mannerisms and facial expressions to the characther she's playing, which most of the actors in her age range don't bother doing.

by Anonymousreply 10804/06/2013

I find her a little ... bland.

by Anonymousreply 10904/06/2013

"link to these reports?"

Oh come on, you dipshits! It's well known she's no slouch when it comes to drinking and smoking pot.

Interviewed after the Oscar win she seemed kind of loopy and admitted she'd "had a shot" before coming out. It's been speculated that the reason she tripped was not because of the big dress, but because she was drunk. And she admitted being "a little sick and a little drunk" on the Jimmy Kimmel show. She sure sounded drunk. She gave more information then you'd want to know about her doctor's visit:

“I was like standing there with these doctors and they’re like looking at my lungs and I just couldn’t — it felt like an elephant in the room — and I was like, ‘Are my breasts uneven?’

“And they were just kind of, like, stifled and uncomfortable, obviously. So I kept thinking, ‘Well, I’m gonna dig myself out of this hole by bringing it up again.’”

“So he was like, ‘Alright, our radiologist will get back to you about your lungs.’ And I was like, ‘And my breasts.’”

She joked about X-rays: “I hope I’m never seen in that light.”

She's on a talk show blathering about her "uneven breasts?" I guess her talk about her uneven breasts and fondness for farts and the like are all part of her "awkward charm."

by Anonymousreply 11004/06/2013

r110 ... breathe, sweety.

by Anonymousreply 11104/06/2013

I also don't understand how people can denigrate her range. She was absolutely stunning in Winter's Bone, playing an Ozark's impoverished 17 year old. She was exactly what her role called for in Hunger Games. She owned each scene she was in. Can't ask for much more in a role. Then she was great, totally believable (though I agree she didn't really deserve the Oscar next to the Riva) as a crazy person in SLP.

I don't think her "range" should really be in question. Her first three starring vehicles were all vastly different in scope, production, and tone and she was seamless in each.

by Anonymousreply 11204/06/2013

She was a little tipsy at the Oscars (she was not the only one) and on Kimmel. But I don't think she has a drinking problem like Lohan.

by Anonymousreply 11304/06/2013

Don't start that r111. R110 has given you an explanation post, which you requested with your "link?". Don't try to dismiss r111.

by Anonymousreply 11404/06/2013

r112 Any number of competent actresses could have gotten those roles and would have been fine. She did great in Winters Bone but everything else hasn't been worthy of the hype, which I think is the biggest problem.

by Anonymousreply 11504/06/2013

R114, how does that post address or give credence to the claim that she has been out lately partying and being wild?

The ONLY thing I've seen about her lately are pics of her on the set filming a new movie. Having a shot at the Oscars, and a joint on vacation is hardly out of control.

But it's not as if she portrays herself as some charming sweetheart, so it's ridiculous to criticize her for not being one, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 11604/06/2013

That's not the same thing as saying she has no range. She does have range. See Selma Blair in that link upthread. That's an actress with no range. A very young JLaw acts circles around her.

by Anonymousreply 11704/06/2013

Why the need to defend her if she is perfect? Let her be your hero, fine, but don't put her on a pedestal. She's not in the arena, nor is she saving lives! She's a lucky millionaire. I like boys.

by Anonymousreply 11804/06/2013

r116, you have 6 pages of people talking about it with examples and r110 has even giving you quote. You know very well you can look into this and find them. Just because you haven't seen them (or want to see them, which I suspect is the case) doesn't mean they don't exsist.

And yes she does potray herself as a charming sweetheart. That's part of what people are complaining about on this thread. That she gets a pass for some of the shit she does because she's "charming" and "goofy" etc.

Honestly, r116 I hope you put up a fight about others actors the way you are with her. If you don't want direct quotes or stories, don't ask for them and certainly don't dismiss those who provide it because you may not like them.

That's all I got r110, I'm sure you can defend your position from now on.

by Anonymousreply 11904/06/2013

R119, but what examples? That she had a shot at the Oscars. That she drank wine and smoked weed on vacation.

Again, that's hardly outrageous. She's not being given a pass on this wild lifestly, there's just not one there.

And as for people being easy on her because they find her likeable --- so?!?! You're mad because people like her, and theefore like to say nice things about her??? Umm ...

by Anonymousreply 12004/06/2013

[quote]You're mad because people like her, and theefore like to say nice things about her??? Umm ...

Oh lord. Its like dealing with a child.

Very well r120, we are all mean girls and are like totally jealous of JenLaw. Now you can run along as the rest of us continue.

by Anonymousreply 12104/06/2013

I think because she is not super skinny and is able to laugh at herself she seems down to earth so women are not so bitchy about her.

by Anonymousreply 12204/06/2013

[quote]Very well [R120], we are all mean girls and are like totally jealous of JenLaw. Now you can run along as the rest of us continue.

I don't think anyone is jealous. And I don't think everyone has to like her.

I just thinking citing untrue things as the reason you don't like her is confusing.

by Anonymousreply 12304/06/2013

I saw her DRINKING LIKKER.

STONE HER

by Anonymousreply 12404/06/2013

r123, there is 6 pages of why people don't like her and it goes beyond your one track mind. It goes beyond just her image (aka her acting). Like I said, there are 6 pages of perfectly good criticism if you actually want to think about it and not just dismiss those before you.

by Anonymousreply 12504/06/2013

I'm basically indifferent to this girl. She seems pleasant enough and is surely at least a competent actress. She doesn't seem like the type to go out of control on drugs and alcohol. I haven't seen anything to indicated that.

by Anonymousreply 12604/07/2013

She'll probably get annoying to a bunch of people at some point - who are currently refreshed at her 'fun' and 'down to earth' personality.

She might be even more perfect if she turns out to be a lesbian :P

by Anonymousreply 12704/07/2013

Let her star in 2 more films and people will finally find out that she is a one trick pony. She is the IT girl of the moment, that's why she gets cast and she was in a Harvey movie. Her getting even a nomination was a joke. I seriously doubt she has longevity. I get bored watching her, she hardly has any actor tools.

by Anonymousreply 12804/07/2013

Seriously, R110, how OLD are you?!!

You can hate Jennifer Lawrence all you want, I don't care, but none of that sounds 'wild' by anybody under the age of 80! Ooh, she was drunk at the Oscars and likes weed. Get her to rehab quick!

by Anonymousreply 12904/07/2013

I don't understand how someone could hate a girl as benign and affable as Jennifer Lawrence.

by Anonymousreply 13004/07/2013

She just doesn't resonate with me. I think Hollywood produces shit actors and when one comes around with any depth they are put up on the Oscar platter.

She is talented, but what does she offer the acting industry. "She's funny and free"....yeah we have that, its called Emma Stone. "She's subtle". I'm tired of subtle I want Elizabeth Taylor, I want real presence.

by Anonymousreply 13107/31/2013

She had real presence in Winter's Bone.

by Anonymousreply 13207/31/2013

I think she's charming.

by Anonymousreply 13308/01/2013

She's gonna kick so much ass in X-men dofp :D

by Anonymousreply 13408/01/2013

She walked around in winters bone.

by Anonymousreply 13508/01/2013

She did a lot more than that R135

by Anonymousreply 13608/01/2013

I can't decide if I think Days of Future Past is going to be the best X-men movie ever... or the worst. I'm pretty sure it won't be in the middle though.

And I also love JL. She's hot, talented, and charming. What's not to love?

by Anonymousreply 13708/01/2013

The reviews said her performance was a gathering storm which I would agree, but it never broke. Im tired of these subtle performances that are really just great cinematography and looking stoic.

by Anonymousreply 13808/01/2013

Juno Temple is amazing but I think the most talented under 25 are still in their teens: Chloe Moretz and Saoirse Ronan.

Mulligan is also up at the top but is about 28 now. And I really like JLaw.

I'm interested to see how Moretz will handle Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 13908/01/2013

There's also Mae Whitham. Michael B Jordan might be under 25 too.

by Anonymousreply 14008/01/2013

Who's the next Angelina Jolie? She's great

by Anonymousreply 14108/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.