Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Rutgers Athletic Director resigns

Tim Pernetti has resigned as Rutgers athletics director, he announced in a resignation letter issued today.

Meanwhile, the number of faculty members calling for Rutgers President Robert Barchi to step down more than doubled yesterday to 28.

The letter calling for Barchi's resignation was sent to the university's governing boards on Wednesday. In it, the faculty members cite Barchi's "inexcusable handling of coach Mike Rice's homophobic and misogynist abuse" of players, his "pattern of insensitivity and arrogance toward issues of diversity" and the "lack of transparency that he has exhibited in his relations" with faculty, staff and students.

by Anonymousreply 1204/21/2013

Pernetti, in a letter to the university said that he wished he had overridden school officials and fired basketball coach Mike Rice.

Pernetti's resignation comes three days after video came to light showing Rice shoving, grabbing and throwing balls at players and using gay slurs during practice.

"My continued tenure as Athletic Director is no longer sustainable for the University which I attended and where a piece of me will always remain," Pernetti said in his resignation letter. "In connection with the incidents involving former basketball Coach Mike Rice, as was the case with all other matters which I handled on behalf of the University, I always tried my best to do what is right."

In the letter, Pernetti went on to say that his position was to fire Rice -- although earlier this week he said he was intent on rehabilitating the coach's behavior, in part, through counseling -- but that he apparently didn't have the support of his superiors. Pernetti, with the approval of Rutgers president Robert L. Barchi, initially suspended Rice three games in December and fined him $50,000 when Rice's mistreatment of players was brought to the AD's attention.

"I have spent a great deal of time reflecting on the events which led to today," Pernetti said. "As you know, my first instincts when I saw the videotape of Coach Rice's behavior was to fire him immediately. However, Rutgers decided to follow a process involving university lawyers, human resources professionals, and outside counsel. Following review of the independent investigative report, the consensus was that university policy would not justify dismissal. I have admitted my role in, and regret for, that decision, and wish that I had the opportunity to go back and override it for the sake of everyone involved."

by Anonymousreply 104/05/2013

This is what happens when Italian-Americans are given authority.

by Anonymousreply 204/05/2013

Barchi, like Pernetti, has come under heavy criticism for Rice remaining on the job as coach for as long as he did. He announced at a campus news conference that John B. Wolf, Rutgers' interim senior vice president and general counsel, also has resigned his position.

by Anonymousreply 304/05/2013

Rutgers teachers, through their union, last night called on the school’s Board of Governors “to restore the confidence of our students and their parents that abuse of authority will not be tolerated at Rutgers.” The number of faculty members calling for Barchi’s immediate resignation has swelled to at least 50.

“Although President Barchi is now suggesting otherwise, he has known about Coach Rice’s homophobic, misogynist and abusive behavior for several months,”

10 faculty members said in a letter to the board of governors and board of trustees two days ago demanding Barchi’s immediate resignation.

“Not only did he not fire Coach Rice, he in essence covered up the coach’s actions by failing to tell faculty and students about them.”

by Anonymousreply 404/05/2013

1 man fired

3 resigned

1 taking Rutgers to court for non-renewal of contract

by Anonymousreply 504/05/2013

"I bet he's a mean fuck in bed", said my moist mussy.

by Anonymousreply 604/05/2013

Barchi should be fired.

by Anonymousreply 704/06/2013

He needs to join a good BDSM club and work out his issues there.

by Anonymousreply 804/06/2013

Rutgers University has suspended its head men's lacrosse coach as it investigates allegations of verbal abuse.

by Anonymousreply 904/19/2013

Lacrosse players WANT to be abused. Trust me.

by Anonymousreply 1004/19/2013

Tim Pernetti is so freaking hot!

by Anonymousreply 1104/19/2013

Coaches at Rutgers are going to be much more careful this year.

by Anonymousreply 1204/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.