Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Arkansas. Oil Spill...Dispatches From Exxon’s Spill Zone, Day 2

These hazmat contractors are cleaning tar sands less than 100 meters from an open Subway restaurant. Exxon is not informing any of the shoppers at this plaza about the health risks. There are no signs. No warnings. People are getting sick.

Read more here dispatches from the spill zone:

by Anonymousreply 3104/17/2013

It's amazing how the media is utterly ignoring this ...

by Anonymousreply 104/05/2013

From the article, which answers to the cover-up.

[quote]One of the sheriff cars pulled us over. A very large officer barked commands at us, checking identification and making the driver get out of the car for interrogation. At one point, the cop said to the driver, “If it were up to me. I wouldn’t mind y’all being out here, but I’m getting paid a lot of money to keep you out of here.”

by Anonymousreply 204/05/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 304/05/2013

While I believe all this is true, I seriously doubt the cop told the driver about the money he's getting paid.

by Anonymousreply 404/05/2013

They also managed to get the FAA declare a no flight zone over the spill, least anyone take pictures.

by Anonymousreply 504/05/2013

R4, why wouldn't he? He's just a fucking cop. He probably feels weird about it too. 40 bucks says it's a black cop who feels weird about the whole situation.

by Anonymousreply 604/05/2013

damn

by Anonymousreply 704/06/2013

All the more reason to deny and scuttle the Keystone KL Pipeline

by Anonymousreply 804/06/2013

I live about 20 miles away from Mayflower. It's getting media attention here,

by Anonymousreply 904/06/2013

Ugh, disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 1004/06/2013

The good people of Arkansas voted, en masse, for republicans. I could care fucking less if they die down there. You get what you voted for.

by Anonymousreply 1104/06/2013

Maybe Anderson can go down there to cover it. It could be the new Katrina for him now that his career seems to be ebbing.

by Anonymousreply 1204/06/2013

R11 has a valid point.

by Anonymousreply 1404/06/2013

[quote]turned out to be cleaned up rather quickly and back to normal.

Tell that to the desolated towns on the Gulf.

by Anonymousreply 1604/06/2013

Corporate apologist.

by Anonymousreply 1704/06/2013

[quote]Because its like the Boy who Cried Wolf. The BP spill was hyped as disaster that we would never recover from, and it turned out to be cleaned up rather quickly and back to normal.

Are you really that retarded?

Wow... I guess you think "out of sight, out of mind" means if you close your eyes, the danger goes away, right?

You're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 1904/06/2013

I have have family that lives down there, don't feed us your shit, r18.

by Anonymousreply 2004/06/2013

damn

by Anonymousreply 2204/07/2013

RELATED TOPICS

Louisiana Coastal ErosionBP oil spillNational Wildlife Federationbp finesCoastal Erosion

Capt. Ryan Lambert, owner of Cajun Fishing Adventures in Buras, La. and spoke with scientists from and with the National Wildlife Federation in a press teleconference at 10 a.m. CT today.

The group was speaking out today because NWF has just published a report, Restoring a Degraded Gulf of Mexico: Wildlife and Wetlands Three Years After the Gulf Oil Disaster." NWF is pushing for BP -- currently on trial to determine whether the company was grossly negligent -- to have to pay the maximum billions for its blight on the region

Lambert, who said he's been in business 33 years, was particularly compelling when he said he'd never seen anything like what he saw after the spill. And today, the picture remains bleak, especially in terms of drastic coastal erosion.

"I have a different perspective 'cuz I live it every day," said the captain. "We could see all the dead animals and oil."

He said they went 30 months without seeing a speckled trout until Hurricane Isaac hit last fall.

Mother Nature has a way to clean up; the tidal surge made the water quality better for fish... but it brought oil into the marsh even more, and now we're really paying for what happened.

What does that mean?

Over a year ago, coastal erosion and restoration officials were saying Louisiana had lost something the size of Rhode Island. Now, Capt. Lambert lamented, the accelerated clip means potential inhabitability:

"If we cannot heal these fresh wounds, then we can't live here anymore."

Just this morning, he said, he got a new National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) map that shows red-colored areas where marsh has been lost. The entire map, he said, "is literally red."

So what I see three years later [following the BP oil spill] is when we got a place oiled, when we fished around these places, you could see them all black with oil. When you go back [though], there are total islands gone, large areas of marsh gone. It's taking away the vegetation. Every time you get a tidal surge we are losing marsh at a more rapid rate than I've seen in all my years here.

Inkley also told reporters today that,

This year, the dolphin deaths have remained above average, [as they have] every month since the spill began. In January and February 2013 alone, the infant deaths were at six times the historical rate.

Inkley urged too that while results of the Natural Resources Damage Assessment report were not in yet, it's reasonable to link the unusual [dolphin] mortality event (actually with the acronym UME by NOAA) to the spill.

Yet as bad as the dolphin deaths are, Lambert wanted reporters to take away the message today that without the marshes, without a healthy ecosystem, many more species have and will continue to suffer and die.

by Anonymousreply 2304/07/2013

Thank you, R23.

by Anonymousreply 2404/07/2013

Still largely a media/news blackout on this story...

That's almost a bigger scandal than the spill at this point.

by Anonymousreply 2504/07/2013

Really, R21? You're using a report from a corporate-media news outlet as your evidence to back your claim up?

You are indeed, as R19 stated, an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 2604/07/2013

"Number one, you got to figure out what caused it and therefore what should have been done if it wasn't done or what needs to be done in the future going forward."

"I've also talked to the feds and the administrator of the pipeline safety under the department of transportation, and so there are still some unanswered questions about the latest tests and they apparently did a test in February in this very section on this very pipeline, and they don't have the results back yet,"

- Arkansas Democrat Governor Mike Beebe

by Anonymousreply 2704/07/2013

Here we go with the intentional misinformation again. What is it that brings this poster to these kind of threads

My theory is that repeating this false information must be effective on some level. It's actually a sophisticated method that is made to look like a dumb poster posting the messages.

Just enough bad info to keep the drilling going a little while longer. It's a short view, but one that has been extremely effective over the years.

How about all Americans cut their energy usage by 10%. This would bring down demand, prices, and excavaton.

Also, we should use 20% from renewable sources. We can do that on our own. Now. Let's do it!

by Anonymousreply 2804/07/2013

Still amazing to me how this isn't in the news more...

by Anonymousreply 2904/17/2013

I'm amazed that people think the Gulf is "back to normal." Ask someone who's lived their awhile if all of the dead sponges, fish other wildlife that are washing up on the beach are "normal."

by Anonymousreply 3004/17/2013

wtf, r28? Circle talking only incriminates yourself.

by Anonymousreply 3104/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!