Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Tabatha Takes Over -- Season 5

It starts tonight at 10 on Bravo. I've been watching a marathon of previous episodes all day, and I'm so excited I could squirt.

by Anonymousreply 7307/04/2013

Oim Tibitha, an oim teeking ovah.

by Anonymousreply 204/04/2013

She looks like a bat.

by Anonymousreply 304/04/2013

[quote]Staged more than A Chorus Line.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 504/04/2013

It's not TOTALLY fake, I read up on the "behind the scenes" a few weeks ago after watching some reruns. The salon employees really do work there--it's not like they're hired actors--and real changes do occur. But what I read is that only half the staff, in some instances, is cast to be on the show--so those staff all get this burst of new energy from the whole Tabatha experience, but the rest of the staff doesn't get to benefit from it. I thought that was interesting.

Also, the "before" segments are often exaggerated--as the salons are told not to clean for a month prior to filming.

by Anonymousreply 604/04/2013

Oh! And another thing I really enjoy is, after watching an episode, looking up the place on Yelp and reading the before/after reviews.

by Anonymousreply 704/04/2013

[quote]I read up on the "behind the scenes" a few weeks ago

Can you link to that? Sounds fascinating!

by Anonymousreply 804/04/2013

Here's one article...

by Anonymousreply 904/04/2013

No one watched. I can't even find a torrent of it.

by Anonymousreply 1004/05/2013

That's kinda fun, R7.

by Anonymousreply 1104/05/2013

My favorite was the one in Miami with the owner who had cameras installed all over the salon so she did not have to leave her house to yell at her staff.

by Anonymousreply 1204/05/2013

This is the one.

by Anonymousreply 1304/05/2013

I might be wrong, but in the 'coming up this season' thing they did at the end of the new episode, it looked like she might go back to that Long Beach gay bar she worked with last season.

by Anonymousreply 1404/05/2013

Best line.. Tabitha is Linda Blair spinning head scary.

by Anonymousreply 1504/05/2013

Why can't I find a torrent of this???

by Anonymousreply 1604/05/2013

R16, can you not watch it on Bravo? It will be repeated four more times between now and next Thursday, Set your DVR!

by Anonymousreply 1704/05/2013

I don't want her in other business environments.

Her business is hair salons, and that's where she should stay.

by Anonymousreply 1904/05/2013

I like when Tabatha takes "iver" salons where her authority comes across as undeniable. She's out of her element at bars and hotels.

The cameras in the salon during the pre-visit is the first gigantic clue that the show is fake-ity fake. Wouldn't the staff ask why they are being mic'd and followed around by a TV crew? Still, that part is so much fun.

Would anyone pay her any mind if she had an American accent? Same goes for Super Nanny, Simon Cowell, Chef Ramsey, etc.

by Anonymousreply 2004/05/2013

R20, are the employees mic'd? Or is the camera stationary with audio pickup?

by Anonymousreply 2104/05/2013

Ok found a torrent and I'm watching.

It's weird they gave their salon a Harry Potter name but there appears to be no other HP connection.

by Anonymousreply 2204/05/2013

I like when she branches out to other types of businesses. You can only watch so many frickin' salon makeovers...after a while they're all the same. Lazy or drunk employees, hair balls on the floor--we get it.

But yea, the "hidden" cameras "placed in the salon" always crack me up--especially when the owner fakes surprise and then they show video footage shot by cameramen & not hidden cameras. I also wonder how real the six week follow-ups are. Does Tabatha REALLY fly back to all these places six weeks later in order to shoot a two-minute update segment??

by Anonymousreply 2304/05/2013

The employees clearly know they're being filmed for Tabatha because they had to audition to be selected!

by Anonymousreply 2404/05/2013

A pretty dull episode for a season premiere.

by Anonymousreply 2504/05/2013

Stacy was fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 2604/05/2013

I actually liked it.

The episodes where the owners actually listen to her advice and follow it after she's gone are the ones I enjoy the most.

by Anonymousreply 2704/05/2013

Can't find a torrent, either. And can't watch it on Bravo because I'm in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 2804/05/2013

R28, here:

by Anonymousreply 2904/05/2013

Thanks, R29!

by Anonymousreply 3004/05/2013

Tabatha took over last night. Does anyone care?

by Anonymousreply 3104/12/2013

The three old queens made us e-l-d-e-r-g-a-y-s (is that still a bad word?) look bad.

by Anonymousreply 3204/12/2013

That one tricerabottom who started crying before Tabatha even said anything and ran off set screaming "Let me be!" was insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 3304/13/2013

Tabitha certainly knows about nightclubs. She grew up in one. Her mother and father owned a strip club - where there were many transvestites - her dad ran out and Tabitha grew up inside that club watching her mother run it and watching those fierce drag queens teach her how to live.

by Anonymousreply 3504/13/2013

I remember the Miami episode. Gosh I've been to that store ( salon upstairs ) what a turn off. That owner is a major cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3604/13/2013

I love the show. Season 5 is off to a good yet tame start. No one has acted out or done anything foolish yet. Everyone has accepted everything Tabatha has suggested. The most entertaining episodes are the ones where the employees or owners talk back to Tabatha, say bad stuff about Tabatha behind her back or act foolish. Morgan McMichaels from season two of Rupaul's Drag Race was on this past episode. He impersonated Tabatha.

That Miami salon is still open. On wikipedia someone wrote that it closed. It actually opened a second salon after the episode aired. Tabatha has a high success rate, well over 80% of the places she has visited are still open.

by Anonymousreply 3704/13/2013

This show uses the EXACT same formula as Kitchen Nightmares:

Goes in. Complains about the quality of work. Says the place is filthy. Yells at people for being stupid and terrible at their jobs. Schools them. Redecorates. Things end hopeful. Then comes back a few weeks later.

by Anonymousreply 3804/13/2013

No one watches this show. Sad. Last season?

by Anonymousreply 3904/28/2013

It was never that big of a hit. A hit for Bravo isn't a real hit. So not many people watch, but apparently enough to keep it on for 5 seasons, and I wouldn't doubt it'll get more too.

I still watch, although it's just reruns I catch here and there.

by Anonymousreply 4004/28/2013

Well, no one seems interested in discussing the new episodes, anyway.

I'm not really digging this season. Very low drama factor.

by Anonymousreply 4104/28/2013

I thought the episode where she went to the Salon of one of her former pupil was interesting.

So was the Barbeshop one where the guy was super Religious.

My favorite non-Salon Takeover was the one she did at the Hollywood Hotel. The lady was a Sally Kirkland mess... but the little Assistant boy she had on there... for some reason I found him incredibly hot, even though he wasn't particularly.

by Anonymousreply 4204/29/2013

From what I understand from a friend of a friend (yeah, yeah, I know) who was a PA on the show the second year, the salon owners are told they are being "considered" for the show, but the producers would like to set up cameras and mic everyone to see if the salon is a good fit. In reality, they have already been chosen and the show's staff is just gathering footage for the big ta-da of Tabatha showing up the next day.

by Anonymousreply 4304/29/2013

"At the end of the week, some of you may be working here, and some of you may not."

Has anyone ever actually been let go as a result of Tabatha's "final recommendations"?

by Anonymousreply 4404/29/2013

R44

Yeah, I remember in the earlier seasons, at least two or three hairdressers/receptionist people were recommended to be fired and in the follow-up, revealed they were.

I personally think the whole "return in 6 weeks" thing on this show and others like Restaurant Impossible, is ridiculous. Six weeks isn't long enough to really gauge whether or not the business will continue to thrive.

by Anonymousreply 4504/29/2013

Been enjoying the new season but haven't seen the barbershop one yet.

by Anonymousreply 4604/29/2013

Well it's ultimately the boss' decision r44, but it's clear she often pushes bosses to confront slacking employees. They usually just want the employee to admit they've been fucking up and promise to do better. Often the asshole employee is too proud for that and walks out. Tabatha instigated it, but it's ultimately up to the bosses and how the employee handles it, whether they remain working there.

by Anonymousreply 4704/29/2013

This latest one with the bar - the brother Allen is so sweet. You just want to eat him up with a spoon.

by Anonymousreply 4805/04/2013

And it's interesting they didn't realize Roger probably needs grief counselling in addition to rehab.

by Anonymousreply 4905/04/2013

He was, R48. I was so disappointed to see he ultimately flaked out and it was the boozing party brother Roger who actually stepped up, quit drinking and assumed control.

by Anonymousreply 5005/04/2013

When I watched the latest episode with friends, I called Allen flaking out. He seems nice, but his passion isn't running a bar - you can immediately tell that from his personality.

I bet Roger has gotten at least a couple of blowjobs from guys. Like all frat types, he's likely indifferent to gender after a few brewskis. I imagine he has a lot of smeg under the hood, though...

by Anonymousreply 5105/04/2013

R51 Funny. Im only 15 minutes into the episode and came on here to post the same thing. Roger totally looks like someone who gets drunk and gets blown by guys.

by Anonymousreply 5205/04/2013

Why didn't anyone address, during the episode for "Summer Sports Bar," that Roger was drunk the entire time during filming?

by Anonymousreply 5305/04/2013

I don't think Allen's mother likes him which is why he didn't want to be in the bar. There are women who prefer extroverted men. The mother always talked positively about Rodger even though he did nothing right while the introverted Allen got no response. They all said the father did everything. I'm guessing Allen was more willing to step into that role. Even if he did it poorly the mother still liked him more because that meant she didn't have responsibility and could take it easy.

I was surprised the floor stayed. The renovation wasn't as surprising as past ones.

by Anonymousreply 5405/04/2013

The whole discussion about "Summer Sports Bar" having this fantastic, underutilized view of the beach seemed ridiculous. From the shots, it was a sliver of beach around the back of the bar that you'd have to crane your neck at a 90 degree angle to glimpse.

by Anonymousreply 5505/05/2013

What's Manhattan Beach like? Is it a touristy mess? Sleepy? It looks beautiful on TV.

by Anonymousreply 5605/06/2013

Was there a new episode this week? My DVR didn't record anything, but I never noticed ahead of time if there was even one scheduled.

by Anonymousreply 5705/18/2013

This show is dead. It should have never deviated from salon businesses. It also shouldn't be so rigid with format. It's literally the same story every episode.

by Anonymousreply 5806/01/2013

I want her to go back to that Provincetown salon and bitch slap that crazy owner. That was the all-time best Tabatha episode.

by Anonymousreply 5906/01/2013

That was pretty awesome how the last chick got the show to renovate her trashy nail salon, then sold the cleaned-up shop before Tabatha could return for her follow-up visit. Slick!

by Anonymousreply 6006/09/2013

There was something appealing about tonight's salon owner.

by Anonymousreply 6106/27/2013

Who are you talking about, r61?

The new episode is tonight (Thursday) and it will be the season finale. Tabatha will be visiting several of the businesses that she'd helped in previous seasons. So if you are talking about the new episode, there will be more than one salon owner featured. Which one do you mean?

by Anonymousreply 6206/27/2013

Just saw last weeks show on dvr! I meant the guy with the wife Daisy and two kids. Not traditionally handsome but very...something.

by Anonymousreply 6306/27/2013

Does this show do well enough in the ratings that there will be a Season 6? That show from last night felt a little bit like a goodbye.

Normally I'd say it's too bad all of the places she revisited were doing well because I like to see a place fail or be sold. But each of those were people I was hoping would do well. I'm sure just the PR from being on the show usually has to boost business enough that their bottom line improves.

by Anonymousreply 6406/28/2013

Her show can't be that expensive to produce, and Andy Cohen likes her. If they don't give her another season of this, I'm sure she'll turn up elsewhere.

She seems like a good egg. I was quite pleased to see that all of the businesses were doing so well. And her obvious affection for the owners, especial Club Ripples' "gay dinosaurs."

by Anonymousreply 6506/28/2013

Her season 5 ratings are down significantly from season 4, or at least they were last April (see link). No word yet on cancellation or renewal for season 6.

by Anonymousreply 6606/28/2013

Maybe they need to incorporate Jeff Lewis into the program (he can do the remodels) in order to save it because they seem to have him on every other Bravo program these days.

He must be a ratings goldmine!

by Anonymousreply 6706/28/2013

Manhattan Beach is about 5 minutes south of Los Angeles International Airport. It fronts the Pacific Ocean and has a wide beach, bike path, pier and many restaurants and bars close to the beach. West of Sepulveda Blvd. is the beach area. More preppy and family oriented than Venice Beach, about 15 minutes to the north. One can ride the bike path from Venice Beach to Manhattan Beach along the ocean on the sand. Considered part of the South Bay of Los Angeles, it is it's own city.

by Anonymousreply 6806/28/2013

The end of the reunion show was Great! How nice to see Ripples of Long Beach, CA going in full swing again!

Great to see the warm and wonderful party for Tabatha and the owner picking her up and giving hugs and kisses which she hates and had to give him. Very sweet moment of the show.

Tabatha really does walk the walk and is good role model for the gay community. A great way to end the show at Ripples.

I was glad to see the woman with the children's salon in Orange County attending the Ripples party. I really felt for her and was glad to know her salon is doing well. A nice lady.

by Anonymousreply 6906/28/2013

I liked the Salon Owner in Boston. Sexy cute blonde man

by Anonymousreply 7006/29/2013

How can the season be over already?? It just started!

by Anonymousreply 7107/03/2013

Anyone ever been to Club Ripples? It looks like a lot of fun, and I'd like to go there the next time I'm in LA.

Worth the trip?

FYI, I'm really into Mexican guys. The more thuggish, the better.

by Anonymousreply 7207/04/2013

r71 I think there are only 6 maybe 7 shows a season. Does anyone know if it has been renewed?

by Anonymousreply 7307/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.