Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anyone else excited?

Bryan Fuller is a genius (Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls, Pushing Daisies), and it's getting raves.

It will also give us Gillian Anderson's return to TV.

by Anonymousreply 30807/07/2014

Can't wait! I hope this is the one that finally gives BF success - he makes amazing show after amazing show and they keep getting their throats cut. It's got a GREAT cast too.

by Anonymousreply 104/04/2013

Why are there so many British actors playing Americans on TV?

by Anonymousreply 204/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 304/04/2013

Oh, and Caroline Dhavernas from Wonderfalls is on it, too.

by Anonymousreply 404/04/2013

It's supposed to be really gory and really good.

Bryan Fuller also wrote the best episodes of Heroes season one. He left and the show went to shit, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 504/04/2013

New York Times gives it an "eh."

by Anonymousreply 604/04/2013

I've been wanting a Hugh Dancy show ever since I saw Daniel Deronda. I hope it lasts.

by Anonymousreply 704/04/2013

please respect my privacy.

by Anonymousreply 804/04/2013

Serial killers are SO twenty years ago.

Even "Dexter" is a tired show.

by Anonymousreply 904/04/2013

I'm excited to see Mads Mikkelsen on a regular basis, so I hop this catches on. I have loved his movies for several years. Also love his 'not the pretty guy' looks.

by Anonymousreply 1004/04/2013

R10, didn't you just love him in the Pusher series?

by Anonymousreply 1104/04/2013

Mads? Jeg elskede ham i filmen Flammen & Citronen!

by Anonymousreply 1204/04/2013

This show is going to be a fucking mess. Its starting.

by Anonymousreply 1304/04/2013

R13, why do you say that? Most reviews say this show is fucking awesome. And critics got a look at the first 5 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 1404/04/2013

He is wearing a LOT of makeup.

by Anonymousreply 1504/04/2013

American culture continues to cannibalize itself.

by Anonymousreply 1604/04/2013

Generally favorable reviews, r14, not fucking awesome ones.

by Anonymousreply 1704/04/2013

Fishburne's pock marks are distracting.

by Anonymousreply 1804/04/2013

House #1 looks just like house #2. On TV, everyone lives in a very clean, sterile suburbia.

by Anonymousreply 1904/04/2013

Serial Killer investigators are all hot, wear fashionable clothes and get their hair and makeup done before work.

by Anonymousreply 2004/04/2013

That's not an "eh", R6, that's a pan.

by Anonymousreply 2104/04/2013

Hugh Dancy has a hot ass and should show it off more often.

by Anonymousreply 2204/04/2013

Is that from Hannibal, R22?

by Anonymousreply 2304/04/2013

No, it's from a movie he did.

by Anonymousreply 2404/04/2013

Poor Caroline Dhavernas.

She was glorious in Wonderfalls (which was fucking FABULOUS) and hasn't found anything to suit her since.

That Shonda Rhimes mess with the glum Gummer sister was atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 2504/04/2013

R24, that picture was enough to let us know which movie it is, The Jane Austen Book Club, which I think I saw. I'm just not an ass man.

Hugh, I want to see your penis.

by Anonymousreply 2604/04/2013

It wasn't Jane Austen. It was Tempo.

Claire Danes gets to cup those tight orbs as they're thrusting away atop her.

by Anonymousreply 2704/04/2013

Well, that was gross.

I felt uneasy and short of breath watching this.

Have to keep watching now.

by Anonymousreply 2804/05/2013

Loved it. No idea who Dancy was, but he was great.

by Anonymousreply 2904/05/2013

Thanks, R27. I'll look for Tempo instead.

And that Claire Danes. God, I wouldn't mind being her. Before Hugh, she got to fuck Billy Crudup, who is even more eyerollingly gorgeous, if you're me.

by Anonymousreply 3004/05/2013

That ass is not hot. It's eh.

by Anonymousreply 3104/05/2013

I had to turn on the closed captions to understand what Mads was saying. What an odd casting choice.

by Anonymousreply 3204/05/2013

I'm the Mads fan from upthread. I wanted to like this a lot more than I did, maybe I just had too high expectations. But I don't judge a series by the first episode. Hoping it gets better.

The people I watched with had better reactions than I did. One was so upset by the Hannibal cooking/eating scenes that they had to leave the room for a bit. While that might not be a great reaction, I think for what the scenes were it speaks well of the series.

It does seem like it will come a lot closer to the book, than past efforts.

On a personal note I wish they hadn't greased Mads hair down. Ruined the look for me.

by Anonymousreply 3304/05/2013

I'll give it a second go, but it seemed like it was trying too hard to be edgy or something. And Dancy didn't really appeal to me in this.

by Anonymousreply 3404/05/2013

And Kid in the Hall Scott Thompson...

by Anonymousreply 3504/05/2013

I thought this was so much better than either The Following or Bates Motel. My one issue is how long can Hannibal stay right under Will's nose without him seeming like an idiot for not noticing? It's bad enough on Dexter but at least no one on that show is supposed to be an expert on serial killers and Dexter comes off as fairly normal at work. This is more along the lines of expert reporter Lois Lane not noticing Clark is Superman because he wears glasses.

by Anonymousreply 3604/05/2013

R36, from what I've read the show plans on moving the storyline well into the books, so I don't think they plan on stretching that aspect out past a season or two.

by Anonymousreply 3704/05/2013

Ok, is this suppose to be set in the 70's or modern time? In SILENCE OF THE LAMBS Lecter was incarcerated. Was the sequel with Julianne Moore... (seriously) prequals?

Like it so far.

by Anonymousreply 3804/05/2013

never mind. Just read the NY Times review that stated the series takes place before the time period of Silence of the Lambs and a pre- incarcerated Hannibal.

by Anonymousreply 3904/05/2013

Any nudity in this?

by Anonymousreply 4004/06/2013

R38--the time sequence is:

Hannibal Rising (fourth novel, fifth movie)

Hannibal (TV series)

Red Dragon (first novel, first ("Manhunter") and fourth movies)

Silence of the Lambs (second novel, second movie)

Hannibal (third novel, third movie)

Lecter is discovered and imprisoned in the time frame during which the TV series takes place. He escapes at the end of Silence of the Lambs.

by Anonymousreply 4104/06/2013

Very dumb show. The effects and the lead character's imagining himself as the killer was laughable. Bottom of the barrel in every way.

by Anonymousreply 4204/06/2013

Tempo is a terrible movie thanks to Melanie Griffith and that plastic face of hers that looks like it's melting under he heat of the set lights. There's even a 'oh Blossom, you are so beautiful' scene Dancy has to perform which made me more sick than the Hannibal pilot.

by Anonymousreply 4304/06/2013

[quote]And Dancy didn't really appeal to me in this.

Same here. I became of fan of his during his sting on "The Big C" as Laura Linney's gay "soulmate" who was going through cancer treatments with her. He does wonderfully well with well-written roles. Hannibal is disappointing in every way.

by Anonymousreply 4404/06/2013

People love this show. I wouldn't be surprised to see it build in ratings. Just checking out comments on twitter and days later the good reactions keep popping up.

by Anonymousreply 4504/06/2013

The first episode was okay...not great. I really think that Lawrence Fishburne was miscast. Can't wait to see Gillian Anderson as Lecter's psychotherapist....

by Anonymousreply 4604/06/2013

Lawrence Fishburne is always miscast except for Morpheus.

by Anonymousreply 4704/06/2013

I thought it was a really well-written and well-directed pilot that was completely undone by misguided casting. Hugh Dancy is trying waayy too hard with some Glenn Close-style demonstrative scenery-chewing. And Mads Mikkelson is nearly incomprehensible as Hannibal Lector. Even as someone who has an ear for accents, I still had to rewind some of his lines a couple of times to figure out what he was saying. Not good for a network drama. And that "This season on Hannibal" promo made me actually not want to stick with the show. It looks like it's going to go off the rails at some point.

Still, I think I'll give it another shot.

by Anonymousreply 4804/06/2013

Even though it was the best ratings NBC's had since March of 2012, the show only had about 4.3 million viewers - just horrible numbers. How many serial/psycho killer shows can network TV handle? In my opinion, Hannibal will be canceled somewhere down the road...or moved to Saturday nights.

I didn't watch the show, I'm not into stylized gore for ratings.

by Anonymousreply 4904/06/2013

The number of overall viewers don't matter, r49. The demos do. Thanks for playing, r49.

by Anonymousreply 5004/06/2013

R50, the demos sucked too:

ABCtScandal (18-49: 2.6/8)

CBStElementary (18-49: 2.1/6

NBCtHannibal - (18-49: 1.6/5)

It's still getting trounced by the competition. NBC can try to spin these numbers all they want, but in my experience, these numbers are as good as a "DOA" rating.

by Anonymousreply 5104/06/2013

R46, are you kidding? Fishburne was the only saving grace in the show.

by Anonymousreply 5204/06/2013

Sorry for those random "t"s in the previous post, I have no idea where they came from.

by Anonymousreply 5304/06/2013

Those numbers would be a hit show on FX or USA. Given the low cost of production, NBC will make money on this one even if it's demo drop by 25%.

That's why the international coproductions are appealing.

by Anonymousreply 5404/06/2013

Problem is, R54, given NBC's track record with shows in the past two years, particularly in this timeslot, its ratings and demos will likely drop at least 50%.

by Anonymousreply 5504/06/2013

Every month NBC trots out a show they proclaim as 'The next great NBC drama'

They have actually used that line for the past ten years!

And these dramas they trot out wind up getting low ratings and cancelled.

I said it before and I'll say it again. They constantly try to develop shows that will be buzz worthy to compete with cable and a younger audience.

What should be doing is just develop good quality shows, and the buzz will follow.

by Anonymousreply 5604/06/2013

[quote]What should be doing is just develop good quality shows, and the buzz will follow.

Which is what they've done with Hannibal, a great show getting great reviews.

by Anonymousreply 5704/06/2013

I'm going to guess a steady drop in ratings in the next few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 5804/06/2013

This is the type of show that would do so much better on cable.

by Anonymousreply 5904/07/2013

NBC can't seem to do anything right. What has happened to them?

by Anonymousreply 6004/07/2013

So are we going to have "criminal of the week" appearing and being captured or killed in a single episode, like a police procedural? Feh!

by Anonymousreply 6104/12/2013

Very disappointing show. What happened to Bryan Fuller?

by Anonymousreply 6204/12/2013

So what did we think of episode 2?

by Anonymousreply 6304/12/2013

I can't get into it.

by Anonymousreply 6404/12/2013

Will the gross-out factor repel more viewers than it attracts?

by Anonymousreply 6504/12/2013

I know it's hard to comprehend, r61, but this show is a combo character piece and procedural. There will be serialized arcs from the pilot and some weeks, a case of the week.

by Anonymousreply 6604/12/2013

I thought last night's episode was fantastic, leaps and bounds better than the first episode. It was scary and beautiful and really freaking weird, and funny too. I hope Scott Thompson gets more stuff to do.I thinks its definitely finding its voice.

by Anonymousreply 6704/12/2013

Fuck you, R61. It's ridiculous to have a serial killer discovered and captured in such a short period of time, especially after the quick resolution of the pilot's case. They should have a case stretch out over multiple episodes. It's just Criminal Minds with Lecter.

by Anonymousreply 6804/12/2013

Kind of like The X-Files. Self-contained plots along with a greater mythology.

by Anonymousreply 6904/13/2013

I don't know what it is. I should like it, but I don't. I don't really like the cast - Hugh Dancy seems wrong in this, and I don't find his acting particularly good. And as much as I like Scott Thompson, all I see is the Queen.

by Anonymousreply 7004/13/2013

The ratings were up slightly this week. Where are all those critics promising an immediate ratings plummet?

by Anonymousreply 7104/13/2013

R70 Nor do I. So disappointing. But, differently from you, I liked Hugh Dancy.

And I'll never, ever eat mushrooms in my lifetime. Haha

by Anonymousreply 7204/14/2013

Who does Gillian play?

by Anonymousreply 7304/14/2013

She plays Hannibal's psychiatrist, R73.

by Anonymousreply 7404/14/2013

Hugh Dancy is awfully miscast, or just an awful actor. He keeps breaking from his character, tuning in and out of the social awkwardness and autistic manners his character is supposed to have.

by Anonymousreply 7504/14/2013

I think he's just trying to keep up with his Amurican accent.

by Anonymousreply 7604/14/2013

Like Smash it should be on Showtime...

by Anonymousreply 7704/14/2013

Mruh mruh mruh merml merml derh keflerml.

by Anonymousreply 7804/14/2013

This week's episode was boring.

by Anonymousreply 7904/21/2013

Yeah, it was. I want Gillian Anderson to hurry up and get here. That's the only brightside of them skipping episode 4.

by Anonymousreply 8004/21/2013

HuluPlus has switched this to web only, the fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 8104/21/2013

Episode 4 got pulled due to sensitivity over the Boston bombings. In it Molly Shannon played a character who brainwashed kids to kill other kids. The show will skip directly to Episode 5.

by Anonymousreply 8204/21/2013

Getting tired of the slashed throat teen. Too bad we don't get to see Molly Shannon's episode.

by Anonymousreply 8304/21/2013

You can't even watch online?

by Anonymousreply 8404/22/2013

I can watch online; but I prefer to watch it on the big screen. Also, I often watch tv while I'm on my laptop checking email, etc.

by Anonymousreply 8504/22/2013

I mean the lost episode with Molly Shannon...

by Anonymousreply 8604/22/2013

The Molly Shannon episode will air overseas so it will most certainly show up online, torrent-wise at least.

by Anonymousreply 8704/22/2013

Supposedly an edited version of the Molly Shannon episode will go up on NBC's site..

by Anonymousreply 8804/23/2013

I agree, R83. I couldn't give less of a shit about her character. It was okay for one episode, but if this is a season long storyline, I'm checking out.

by Anonymousreply 8904/23/2013

Who will play Multiple Miggs???

by Anonymousreply 9004/25/2013

The 6 web episodes are on youtube.

by Anonymousreply 9104/29/2013

Is this really going to be cancelled?

by Anonymousreply 9204/29/2013

Where'd you hear that, R92?

by Anonymousreply 9304/29/2013

Cripes. I just watched the preview for the "Entree" episode. There was a profile shot of Laurence Fishburne that made him look like Jabba the Hut's little brother.

He was so young and cute in [italic]Apocalypse Now[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 9405/02/2013

[quote]Is this really going to be cancelled?

That really depends on tonight's ratings. It was going along relatively well -- not great, but OK for NBC. Then it crashed and burned last Thursday. If it doesn't recover, it's probably toast.

by Anonymousreply 9505/02/2013

I enjoyed the pilot and thought it had potential, but so far I've found it a let down. In the second episode, for example, we've got Abigail Hobbes whose father was a serial killer, Hannibal who acted as a copy cat of the father, Abigail herself who may or may not be an accomplice to her father, the mushroom man who is killing people AND who wants to give Will a connection to Abigail by burying her alive. To me it was too many balls being juggled at once and none of them was handled as deftly as they should have been. I also don't like how Will shows up at a crime scene and magically knows every detail. I get that he's supposed to be able to get inside the mind of the killer, but the way it's being written makes him seem borderline psychic. I also think they're throwing viewers into the middle of scenes or implying things when it would make more sense to give us the full story. For example, when Fishburne's wife goes to see Hannibal he says "how many times a week have you been seeing him?" with absolutely no context whatsoever. I watched that scene like three times and still have no idea who he was referring to. Then the fact that she had cancer was dropped in as if it was something we were already supposed to know. I certainly don't need to be spoon fed things and I generally don't have trouble keeping up with what's happening on screen (I had no issues with The Wire, for example) but it seems like this show goes out of its way to make things unnecessarily complex as if to make the show seem smarter than it actually is.

by Anonymousreply 9605/02/2013

R96, NBC pulled the episode that was supposed to air last week and ran the subsequent episode instead. I think the episode dealt with school violence or something and they got nervous. Presumably, there were something in the unaired episode that bled into the one we saw. I agree, it was confusing.

by Anonymousreply 9705/02/2013

I'm really loving this show.

by Anonymousreply 9805/02/2013

Btw the 4th episode is available thru torrents. It's really good. Molly Shannon was super creepy.

by Anonymousreply 9905/02/2013

I haven't seen "Hannibal" yet but since the lovely and talented Eddie Izzard is on tonight, I'm DVRing it.

Do I need to watch the previous episodes in order to get what's going on in this one?

by Anonymousreply 10005/02/2013

I actually watched episode 4 (downloaded it via torrent) before I watched episode 5. Even having seen that episode it was still confusing.

by Anonymousreply 10105/02/2013

It's an international production, so if it does well in other territories, hopefully NBC will continue to air it despite less than great numbers. This seems like the perfect companion to Grimm on Friday nights. Hopefully that's where it'll go next season (if they get one).

by Anonymousreply 10205/03/2013

Except Grimm has moved to Tuesday.

by Anonymousreply 10305/03/2013

Hannibal scored an 18-49 rating of 1.1 yesterday. That's 0.1 up from last week, but it's still miserable. Not looking good for renewal.

by Anonymousreply 10405/03/2013

David Tennant auditioned for the role of Hannibal, and apparently it was between him and Mads. Fuller wants to write him a guest stint as a deranged serial killer, he was so impressed by his audition.

I really can't see him as Hannibal myself, but a killer guest spot might be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 10505/05/2013

Ratings will get better after the Elementary and Scandal season finales. It's NBC's own fault for bumping up the premiere right as the other shows- which have been building viewers all year- were concluding their seasons'.

NBC needs to readjust their primetime ratings expectations instead of cancelling everything that isn't a hit out of the gate, despite their crappy lead-ins and erratic scheduling changes.

by Anonymousreply 10605/05/2013

This show is so good. I really not gt people not liking Hugh Dancy. I think he's fascinating.

This last episode with Anna Chlumsky was the best yet. Her visit to Hannibal was really creepy. And this is the first time I've found Hannibl to be genuinely scary.

I also find it completely disgusting, yet alo love it, that each episode features him feeding different cast members human flesh. Practically every character on this show is a cannibal and doesn't even know it.

by Anonymousreply 10705/05/2013

[quote]I really not gt people not liking Hugh Dancy. I think he's fascinating.

I love Dancy in the role. I'm more intrigued by when he mimics the killings versus his Will Graham. He plays vicious killer really well.

by Anonymousreply 10805/05/2013

Disgusting show. I hope they won't do a second series.

by Anonymousreply 10905/06/2013

I loved this Entrée episode. Eddie Izzard & Raul Esparza were great. That nurse scene with Dancy was squirm-inducing & gross & I loved it.

I also loved that flashback with Hannibal & Anna Chlumsky -- I hope the show does more of those scary, creepy Hannibal scenes. I wanna see that dapper Mads kill more folks. Although maybe the show intentionally doesn't let us see Hannibal killing very often, so that when the killing is shown, it has more impact.

Plus, online I saw a preview featuring Gillian Anderson! Yay, finally!

by Anonymousreply 11005/06/2013

Really horrible series.

by Anonymousreply 11105/06/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 11205/06/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 11305/06/2013

This episode made me hungry. I wanna lick Mads' weirdo face.

Gillian Anderson looked as lovely as ever.

by Anonymousreply 11405/09/2013

All this talk about Hugh. Let's discuss Mads. That man is fine as hell.

by Anonymousreply 11505/09/2013

The beautiful wife of the detective gave the most cogent description of cancer when she suggested that a liver cell, straying from her liver, landed in her lungs and is only doing what it was meant to do - grow a liver.

by Anonymousreply 11605/10/2013

It may or may not be Hugh Dancy's acting as some have mentioned the ridiculousness of the writing, but I am always taken out of the show with his chewing and spitting out of his dialogue. I think he is trying too hard, too actory.

Mads Mikkelsen so far has been very subtle in his portrayal of Lecter and I like it. It's effective in contrasting his civilised and yet brutal sides. And I like the way they presented this contrast with the latest episode.

Anyone find the three lab rats banter really irritating and doesn't fit in with the show? It's very CSI.

So far I have only been impressed by the gore and gruesome presentations of the killings.

by Anonymousreply 11705/10/2013

This show gets better and better with each episode.

by Anonymousreply 11805/10/2013

Love this show and am hoping for renewal! I guess we'll know tomorrow if not sooner since it's the only show left on any network that hasn't had its fate announced. Mads is mezmerizing and Hugh would be more appealing with a better haircut.

by Anonymousreply 11905/11/2013

Mads would be even more mesmering if whatever he says was actually intelligible.

by Anonymousreply 12005/11/2013

R121, I did have trouble the first episode, but haven't even really noticed since then.

by Anonymousreply 12105/11/2013

Hugh's fluffy little bangs are so strange.

by Anonymousreply 12205/11/2013

Is Will catching on to Hannibal? He had a weird look at the end of the last episode. And then being around all of that meat had to have been a giveaway.

by Anonymousreply 12305/11/2013

It seems all Hannibal ever serves is organ meat. (Hard to imagine invitations to his dinner parties would be so in demand.) When you are tracking a surgical killer who extracts organs, I think you would notice that the creepy former surgeon you are working with is obsessed with organ meat.

by Anonymousreply 12405/11/2013

The guy who plays Hannibal scares the shit out of me when they show him close-up.

by Anonymousreply 12505/11/2013

Mikkelsen was voted sexiest man in Denmark more than once, r126.

by Anonymousreply 12605/11/2013

I agree R122. First episode was a little tough understanding Mads but no issue since then. I've tried to figure out what they changed but I'm not sure. Do they focus more on his face when he speaks so we can subliminally lipread? Does he speak more clearly? Or some tech magic I know not of?

by Anonymousreply 12705/11/2013

Not on the Fall schedule. Could be used as a mid-season replacement.

by Anonymousreply 12805/12/2013

‘Hannibal’ Subject Of Outside Interest While Awaiting Renewal Decision At NBC

There are several comedy and drama pilots not picked up to series yet that are still in play. But among returning scripted series, only one, NBC drama Hannibal, went through the upfronts without learning its fate. The series, from Pushing Daisies creator Bryan Fuller, got off to a solid ratings start and was in serious contention for an early renewal. The numbers eventually tapered off, and NBC put the renewal decision on hold. Hannibal was well reviewed, and I hear there has been interest from at least one cable network in case NBC passes on a second season. Additionally, I hear Amazon, which currently carries repeats of the show, has expressed interest in taking it on. There are no talks going on and Hannibal has not been shopped as the producers are waiting on a renewal at NBC. Hannibal, from Gaumont International Television, is produced under a different model at a license fee that is a fraction of what dramas with similar production values cost

by Anonymousreply 12905/16/2013

Last night's episode was soooo good.

by Anonymousreply 13005/17/2013

Yes, it was, R131. I really hope this show finds a home on cable (basic or premium).

by Anonymousreply 13105/17/2013

I can't get into it. I like Dancy and was excited to see Anderson back on TV, but the whole reenacting the murder thing doesn't work for me at all and I can't stand Fishbourne or the plastic surgery mess playing Hannibal. And what the fuck is Scott Thompson doing as a walk on coroner?

by Anonymousreply 13205/17/2013

Are some cello strings really made from cat guts?

by Anonymousreply 13305/17/2013

R134, it's actually short for cattle guts, but yes.

by Anonymousreply 13405/17/2013

I don't Mads has had plastic surgery. I think he is very interesting creepy and good-looking. Do socipaths/psychopaths cry at operas?

Anderson's appearance on the show is very strange. Is it a figment of Lector's imagination? She does look very beautiful...

by Anonymousreply 13505/18/2013

These episodes keep getting better & better. I hope the show gets picked up, or at least goes to another network.

I was also wondering about Hannibal’s tears & emotions. Are there different variations or gradations of sociopath/psycho? I never read the books, I’d like to at some point, so I’m not sure if Hannibal was explained in more detail.

by Anonymousreply 13605/19/2013

Hannibal also cried in Silence of the Lambs, after Clarice tells the lamb story.

by Anonymousreply 13705/19/2013

Hannibal isn't a psychopath or sociopath. In the books Harris specifies that he doesn't fit any known profile. Hannibal is very erudite and loves beautiful things. Art, food, literature, music, and the like have the power to move this sophisticated, educated man. That is a key component of his character. Being moved to tears by the opera or an exquisite painting is within his personality profile. His appreciation for the arts stands in contrast to the savagery of his cannibalism.

by Anonymousreply 13805/20/2013

I love this show. I hope it continues on NBC but I'd gladly get HBO if it was being shown there or wherever.

by Anonymousreply 13905/20/2013

Disgusting show.

by Anonymousreply 14005/20/2013

It just seems like more torture porn to me. What have you learned about the human condition from watching it? What have you related to?

by Anonymousreply 14105/20/2013

Gillian Anderson looks gorgeous on this show. She;s only got one more episode, though, so I hope we get something big.

I loved the sequence of Hannibal looking up recipes and then pulling the business cards of all the people who have shown terrible customer serivce.

by Anonymousreply 14205/20/2013

[quote]What have you related to?

Wanting to kill people who've been pricks to me. Needless to say I haven't murdered any of them, let alone stuffed their organs in the freezer, but I can appreciate wanting to punish people who've really pissed you off.

by Anonymousreply 14305/20/2013

Thanks R139, that is helpful.

I also enjoy the dark humor. I watched those clips on Youtube from that unaired episode. One clip showed Jack dining with Hannibal - Jack asked what they were eating - Hannibal said rabbit - Jack laughed & said he should’ve hopped faster - then there was a quick flashback/cut scene of some terrified dude running away, then Hannibal chopping organs & cooking them up - then it cuts back to Jack & Hannibal taking that first, delicious bite & savoring it.

It's funnier than I'm explaining it. I hope that unaired episode airs on the tv.

by Anonymousreply 14405/20/2013

R145, if you don't mind downloading torrents, the 4th episode is available to download in full. It's good episode.

by Anonymousreply 14505/20/2013

I’m wary of downloading things ever since I got a bad computer virus from trying to watch some stupid movie that I didn’t even really want to see, but I was bored & too cheap & lazy to rent it.

But I really want to see that episode, so I’ll definitely think about it. Thanks R146!

by Anonymousreply 14605/20/2013

I think it's also available uncut on iTunes now too, R147.

by Anonymousreply 14705/20/2013

People, get a shrink.

by Anonymousreply 14805/21/2013

Just downloaded the unaired episode & about to enjoy it -- thanks R148 & everyone else who was helpful in this thread!

by Anonymousreply 14905/21/2013

Why did they not air the episode?

by Anonymousreply 15005/21/2013

You're welcome, r145. Hannibal was such a wonderfully complex, original character before Harris committed the unpardonable sin of falling in love with him and trying to turn him into a hero in [italic]Hannibal[/italic] (the book that is not to be confused with the series we're discussing). He didn't need to flesh out his childhood. Indeed, Lector worked better when we knew nothing about his origins. He was more terrifying. I'm glad Fuller decided to scrap that part of the canon. So far I prefer Mikkelsen's understated, restrained version of Hannibal. Knowing that a murderous cannibal lurks underneath the facade of civilization and brilliance is so much more horrifying than the lip-smacking, face-biting, scenery-chewing version made famous by Hopkins.

by Anonymousreply 15105/21/2013

R151, something about kids killing kids not being appropriate so close to the Boston bombings. I really don't see the connection, but whatevs.

by Anonymousreply 15205/22/2013

Last night was perfection.

I'm assuming the show has been cancelled, though, and will wait till they air the last episode to announce.

by Anonymousreply 15305/24/2013

I know Hannibal genuinely appreciates Will's company, but I think he almost considered killing him last night.

by Anonymousreply 15405/25/2013

I hope they won't renew it.

by Anonymousreply 15505/25/2013

Well, you're an asshole, R156.

by Anonymousreply 15605/25/2013

Your an asshole, too R157

by Anonymousreply 15705/25/2013

One of my fave shows...along with Orphan Black

by Anonymousreply 15805/25/2013

Likely, I'm a vegetarian. Just disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 15905/25/2013

Does Hugh Dahncy (sic) have any shirtless scenes?

by Anonymousreply 16005/25/2013

What does being a vegetarian have to do with anything?

I love this show and I'm a vegetarian although I do admit to cringing an awful lot when watching. It's creepy.

by Anonymousreply 16105/25/2013

Too much creepy, better disgusting. But the shrink sessions between Hannibal and his shrink are priceless. Tbh, those are the only scenes I can watch.

by Anonymousreply 16205/25/2013

Final decision on whether it lives or dies will be made by June 1st.

by Anonymousreply 16305/25/2013

Yay! It's coming back for another season!

by Anonymousreply 16405/30/2013

by Anonymousreply 16505/30/2013

Is this really coming back?

I missed something last night - first off, when Hannibal's doctor buddy asked Hannibal what did [bold]he[/bold] smell like, what was Hanny's response?

Secondly, why did this doctor collude with Hannibal and not let Will know he was actually sick?

I mean, I can guess why Hannibal doesn't want Will to know, but why would this guy go along with it?

by Anonymousreply 16605/31/2013

Yes, R167. It has been renewed for a second season.

As for the rest, I haven;t watched the new episode yet.

by Anonymousreply 16705/31/2013

R167, I believe Hannibal told the other doctor he smelled like "opportunity." And I have no idea why the other doctor colluded with Hannibal to tell Will he was fine. Didn't make any sense to me.

by Anonymousreply 16806/01/2013

Hannibal brought Will to a doctor that Hannibal knew how to manipulate. He convinced the doctor that they could discover huge medical breakthroughs by studying Will's brain. Implying that success and wealth would follow.

by Anonymousreply 16906/01/2013

R169, here. I'll take a look at again, but I remember thinking at the time that the doctor showed the X-rays with Will's brain basically exploding that it was really unexplained how he could go from that diagnosis to, Oh, OK, we'll just lie to him and tell him he's fine. Oh, and R170 where was it established this was a doctor Hannibal could manipulate?

by Anonymousreply 17006/01/2013

I also didn't think it made a whole lot of sense that the doctor didn't reveal the encephalitis in Will's brain. Last night's episode wasn't as good as the previous episodes.

I wonder if toilet seat girl will be in more episodes...

by Anonymousreply 17106/01/2013

Maybe pay attention?

It was clear that this doctor was shady, and there was a whole TWO conversations between he and Hannibal where they talked about how rare an opportunity this was to observe this condition in full effect.

by Anonymousreply 17206/02/2013

I paid attention, douche @R173 but it wasn't very well executed. Apparently, I wasn't alone there so suck it, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 17306/02/2013

Haven't seen last episode. Is toilet seat girl the young FBI agent?

by Anonymousreply 17406/02/2013

The young FBI agent was Anna Chlumsky. Ellen Murh played a girl amed George(!) who couldn't see faces and thought she was dead. She's going to be in a couple of more episodes, too.

by Anonymousreply 17506/02/2013

I really liked that ending -- very creepy.

And I would love to have a plastic suit like Hannibal's.

by Anonymousreply 17606/02/2013

Glad to see Bryan giving his friend Ellen Muth some work, but he sure dud make her ugly as possible. You can tell he prefers Jaye over George.

by Anonymousreply 17706/02/2013

Hannibal knew the neurologist previously. I believe he said they were roommates or residents together. I guess he knew from their previous connection that he'd be able to convince the Dr. to not tell Will his diagnosis.

by Anonymousreply 17806/04/2013

Hannibal was very touchy-feely towards Will Graham last night. He put his hands on Will's cheeks and felt his forehead for fever.

Later in the episode, he told someone that he wants Will as "a friend". Hannibal seems to have feelings for Will.

by Anonymousreply 17906/07/2013

It much better than it has any right to be. Having said that, I really really hope they cool it with the Hobbs family stuff next season. It doesn't work, and it's really annoying when they keep going back to it.

by Anonymousreply 18006/07/2013

A couple of episodes ago, Hannibal referred to himself & Will as the fathers to Abigail Hobbes -- seemed kinda gay, but only a little bit. I wish I had 2 hot dads.

I liked the episode last night -- Eddie Izzard was funny. It was also funny how Will was able to catch the killer twice, while sick, when the FBI couldn’t.

And the Gillian Anderson appearance was as short and sweet as ever. I hope she comes back next season -- her scenes with Mads are delicious.

by Anonymousreply 18106/07/2013

I thought Alana had 24/7 protection. They're pretty awful at their jobs since dude was just chilling outside her house.

by Anonymousreply 18206/09/2013

I thought the same thing, R183. This show is better than The Killing so they need to tighten up plot holes like that.

by Anonymousreply 18306/13/2013

Oops, I meant it's better than The Following (and its ridiculous plot holes).

by Anonymousreply 18406/13/2013

I rewound and replayed the last conversation tonight about half a dozen times:

"How many people have you killed?" "Many more than your father!"

Damn, that was good.

The tension; the acting! Hell, the music in that scene was great. And THIS is a sociopath: someone who sets a chain of mayhem into motion just because "I was curious what would happen."

I'll confess, I've been comparing Mads to Anthony Hopkins for the entire run of this series until tonight. From now on, THIS is Hannibal Lector for me.

And didn't Gillian Anderson look great? And lays to rest the theories that she might be all in Hannibal's head.

by Anonymousreply 18506/13/2013

I don't like Hannibal at all. Creepy show.

by Anonymousreply 18606/14/2013

Can't wait till the finale... although I'm sure when it's over, I will be major bummed. Fortunately, Dexter is coming back soon to fulfill my serial killer needs.

I love Gillian Anderson but her British dialect was slipping into her American dialect tonight.

by Anonymousreply 18706/14/2013

R188 Your serial killer needs? Better a shrink.

by Anonymousreply 18806/14/2013

What a great wind up this show has had. Everything is coming together. It is an exquisite, well constructed, slow motion train wreck tragedy. Horrifying but stunning to watch.

by Anonymousreply 18906/14/2013

[quote]I don't like Hannibal at all. Creepy show

Well, yes. It would be odd if a show about a cannibalistic serial killer wasn't creepy. Creepy is part of the attraction for those who are into that sort of thing.

And we know you don't like the show. since you've written half a dozen times in this thread about how you don't like it. You've even posted that you hope the show is cancelled, since you seem to be one of the poor unfortunates whose television lacks an on/off switch or a button to change channels.

You've made your point (over and over) So, why keep posting here? Go watch something that makes you happier.

by Anonymousreply 19006/14/2013

You can post your positive opinions and I can post my negative ones. This is not the "Hannibal fanboard". Ok? This show is overrated, IMHO, Breaking bad is a great show. Hannibal is just creepy and repetive.

by Anonymousreply 19106/14/2013

R192, great that you have an opinion and it'something you're entitled to. I simply cannot understand why someone would continuously visit a thread about something they dislike so much. Do you watch it every week, too?

And yes, I'm into serial killer shows, that doesn't make me one. You watch breaking bad, does that make you a sociopathic drug lord? (rhetorical question, just to be clear).

You're a judgmental little thang...

by Anonymousreply 19206/14/2013

You are the judgemental one, I state what I think and you do the same. I don't like this show. What's your problem?

by Anonymousreply 19306/14/2013

[quote] I'll confess, I've been comparing Mads to Anthony Hopkins for the entire run of this series until tonight. From now on, THIS is Hannibal Lector for me.

I agree completely, 186! This show is SO good. I can't believe it's on network TV *and* it's getting a second season.

by Anonymousreply 19406/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 19506/20/2013

Do you think Gillian knew what she was eating???

by Anonymousreply 19606/21/2013

I don't think she knew, r197. I think she knows Hannibal plays dangerous games, fast and loose but I don't think she knows how terrible he truly is.

by Anonymousreply 19706/21/2013

Will Gillian be back next year? She already has The Fall and another new NBC series starting next season, too. She really works great on Hannibal.

by Anonymousreply 19806/21/2013

"I don’t think anyone knows what’s going to happen in the series. However, I will continue to be on it, until he eats me,” Anderson says.

by Anonymousreply 19906/21/2013

I guess it's fair to assume Hannibal has framed Will, right? But how do you explain the ear Will vomited up?

by Anonymousreply 20006/21/2013

Hannibal obviously staged the scene, R201. He had scratches and blood under his fingernails.

by Anonymousreply 20106/21/2013

Did he throw the at up? I thought it was in the sink. And when he puked up his meds he saw it in the sink.

by Anonymousreply 20206/21/2013

I watched it again and Will drank from the tap and splashed water on his face, so he would've seen the ear in the sink. He threw it up. So, if he didn't kill Abigail, what explains the ear? Any ideas?

Also when Will escaped custody he had to break his thumb to slip out of the handcuff. Yet later on there was no indication anything was wrong with his hand.

I guess I'm nitpicking, but I'm mostly just curious.

by Anonymousreply 20306/22/2013

I imagine Will was drugged and Hannibal stuck the ear in his throat. There is no question Will is innocent.

by Anonymousreply 20406/22/2013

John Benjamin Hickey couldn't disguise his obvious lust at Hugh Dancy in his short hospital gown - those sexy legs and beautiful feet.

by Anonymousreply 20506/23/2013

bump as back this Friday. Who's op for seconds

by Anonymousreply 20602/27/2014

sorry should read 'up for seconds'

by Anonymousreply 20702/27/2014

That fight scene was hot! Would've been better if Hannibal was fighting with Will, though. Lol

Gillian Anderson is lovely. Her scenes with Mads are so interesting. It seems like her character knows Hannibal is a master manipulator who is capable of killing someone, but doesn’t know that he murders people for his culinary masterpieces. But from the preview for next week, she whispers to Will, “I believe you,” so maybe she’s figuring it out.

by Anonymousreply 20803/01/2014

Hope Beverly doesn't get snuffed!

by Anonymousreply 20903/22/2014 way she escaped Hannibal's clutches. I feel for her...he's gonna make a tasty meal out of her.

by Anonymousreply 21003/22/2014

Really good episode last night. Hope this show starts catching fire, it deserves it.

Mads is gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 21103/22/2014

by Anonymousreply 21203/23/2014

I'm sorry Beverly is gone, because I love the actress.

by Anonymousreply 21303/23/2014

I think that last shot through the floor was Hannibal tackling Beverly. I think it may also have something to do with Will telling his admirer to kill Hannibal.

by Anonymousreply 21403/23/2014

So what kind of meal will Beverly become and who will eat it? Perhaps Jack?

by Anonymousreply 21503/23/2014

I'm obsessed with Bedilia and Hannibal Youtube videos!

Disney Presents Bedelia & the Beast:

by Anonymousreply 21603/23/2014

Hannibal and Bedelia staring at each other:

by Anonymousreply 21703/23/2014

Anyone know the chances of this show getting renewed?

I just started watching, and even though it's VERY freaky, I don't know if I want to keep watching it if it's gonna be canceled.

by Anonymousreply 21803/23/2014

It'll get renewed.

by Anonymousreply 21903/23/2014

Aaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhh! No. Not fair.

by Anonymousreply 22003/28/2014

R220, are you talking about Beverly or have you heard news about show getting renewed or cancelled?

I haven't seen this week's episode yet but it became pretty obvious last week that Beverly was going to get killed. Which is a fucking shame because I was just thinking earlier in that episode how she was one of the few reasons I like the series.

by Anonymousreply 22103/28/2014

My rage is about Beverly and how she died.

by Anonymousreply 22203/28/2014

Best show on TV.

by Anonymousreply 22303/29/2014

At least it seems like Beverly didn't suffer. Too much.

by Anonymousreply 22403/29/2014

Oh, and Will's "admirer" was fucking HOT.

by Anonymousreply 22503/29/2014

That "sliced into sections" effect never fails to shock/gross me out. It was overused in that dumb show "Under the Dome" and it was really shocking when I first saw it in "The Cell".

by Anonymousreply 22603/29/2014

[quote]Oh, and Will's "admirer" was fucking HOT.

Was that Jonathan Tucker?

His chest was sexy as hell!

by Anonymousreply 22703/29/2014

Yes, that WAS Jonathan Tucker.

by Anonymousreply 22803/29/2014

And I'm really going to miss Beverly. At least she will be mourned.

by Anonymousreply 22903/29/2014

Hannibal rose in the ratings last night, which is awesome considering it was pre-empted for a lot of people on the west coast.

by Anonymousreply 23003/29/2014

Just because:

by Anonymousreply 23103/29/2014

Bev :(

by Anonymousreply 23203/30/2014

Rest In Pieces, Bev!

by Anonymousreply 23303/30/2014

How does Will keep his perfect hipster scruffy look in prison? He was rocking the same beardy look before he was locked up. /nitpick/

by Anonymousreply 23403/30/2014

I'm looking forward to Michael Pitt being in the series.

by Anonymousreply 23503/30/2014

I decided to give Hannibal another chance (yes, I watched the whole first season). The show started out awesome but Will's hallucinations took over and made the show stupid. The dialogue, the looks, these characters definitely seem in love with one another.

by Anonymousreply 23603/30/2014

Entertainment Weekly is saying that they don't think this will get a 3rd season.

by Anonymousreply 23704/03/2014

Damn! It just gets better and crazier each episode! I loved all of the SOTL references.

And I hated Dr. Chilton last season but I'm in love this season. He gets the best lines.

And how could you Alana?!?

by Anonymousreply 23804/05/2014

Does anyone else think that Hannibal and Alana didn't have sex? Hannibal seems asexual to me. I don't think he would give in to carnal lust, he only gets off by killing and eating his victims.

I think he drugged her, took off her clothes and put her in his bed.

by Anonymousreply 23904/07/2014

He definitely drugged her.

by Anonymousreply 24004/07/2014

[quote]Does anyone else think that Hannibal and Alana didn't have sex? Hannibal seems asexual to me. I don't think he would give in to carnal lust, he only gets off by killing and eating his victims.

I haven't read the books but I have a vague memory of hearing that Clarice ended up having a sexual relationship with Lecter at one point?

by Anonymousreply 24104/07/2014

[quote]I don't think he would give in to carnal lust

Sleeping with Alana had nothing to do with carnal lust.

by Anonymousreply 24204/07/2014

I tried to find some info about whether Clarice really did have sex with Lecter but was lazy and only read one forum post that said that it was implied that they did have sex, but Clarice was heavily sedated. Sounds familiar.

Anyway I had completely forgotten that Will Graham was always part of Lecter universe and that he was in Manhunter and Red Dragon where William Petersen and Edward Norton played him. It's funny how completely different all these interpretations of Will are. Or I guess Petersen and Graham were more the typical FBI agent and Dancy is something completely different. The moods of the films and Hannibal are also very different. The tiger scene in Manhunter has for some reason stayed with me.

by Anonymousreply 24304/07/2014

R243, it's actually more explicit. Final chapter of Hannibal, where it talks about their relationship, saying the success of which depended on the 'penetration' of Clarice, which she actively encouraged.

by Anonymousreply 24404/07/2014

I'm glad Miriam is alive, mostly because I didn't like the idea of Fuller killing off the Reggie character from Dead Like Me. And Ilive Chlumsky but it would have been awesome if he'd used the original actress.

by Anonymousreply 24504/07/2014

Ok, 244, I guess the books went even darker than the films. I remember watching Ridley Scott's Hannibal in the movies with friends. Afterwards we went to a bar as usual and instead of having fun I felt bad because the film was so revolting.

It's really such a fucked up universe Thomas Harris has created. But of course very intriguing. Hannibal the tv show has made it all rather clinically stylish.

by Anonymousreply 24604/07/2014

I think the show has done an interesting take on it, but I think it's way too OTT. Instead of Hannibal seeming normal like in Manhunter he just comes across as a serial killer. Pretty inconceivable that the highly empathic Will Graham wouldn't have just immediately pointed at him as the ripper. The murders are overdone as well. Crawford and his wife both give great performances I think, as does Alana Bloom and Gillian Anderson. Hugh Dancy as Will isn't so convincing, too overdon, and he looks constantly constipated.

by Anonymousreply 24704/08/2014

R247 I think that Will not twigging Hannibal quicker in season 1 was supposedly down to his Encephalitis. I love Hugh Dancy's will much better than Norton's but haven't seen Peterson's. Raul Exparza is killing it this season though

by Anonymousreply 24804/09/2014

I love how "handsy" Ragnar is with males. He pets his three sons like a very loving father and he showed great affection for Athelstan. He loves to get up in dudes faces and get touchy with them, like running his hands over Jarl Borg last night before he executed him. Funnilly enough, he doesn't get so affectionate with brother Rollo.

by Anonymousreply 24904/11/2014

Disregard the last post; I thought I was in the thread for Vikings.

by Anonymousreply 25004/11/2014

R247 R248 And Hannibal was also using his skills as a psychiatrist to really fuck up Will's mind -- some of which we're seeing now as Will has started to regain some of his memories about about what Hannibal did to him.

by Anonymousreply 25104/11/2014

It's very confusing watching the show now -- the relationship of Will and Hannibal now that Will is out of the crazy house and Hannibal knows that Will wants him dead is so weird. Yes, it keeps the main characters interacting but it has no basis in the real world. Who am I kidding - this is the show where they had a woman sewn inside a dead horse!

There was a bit of the "no heterosexual explanation" last night when Hannibal put his hand on Will's cheek for long seconds and lovingly stared into Will's eyes. This is so warped.

by Anonymousreply 25204/19/2014

I want Mads Mikkelsen in me, quite deeply.

by Anonymousreply 25304/19/2014

Why didn't Margo just take the chocolate like she should have?

by Anonymousreply 25404/19/2014

In the books Mason raped Margot. Is that what happened?

by Anonymousreply 25504/19/2014

It wasn't shown R255, but it was implied that violence and "something else" was going on in their relationship.

That fish dinner looked disgusting - big squid tentacles all over the platter. Jeremy Davies took me out of the episode - he plays a damaged cretin too much and I'm over it.

by Anonymousreply 25604/19/2014

I forgot that Davies played on LOST...I thought he was nerdy cute on that show but horrified at his latest transformations (Justified, et al).

by Anonymousreply 25704/19/2014

So Will killed the tabloid reporter and helped Hannibal prepare her for dinner?

I thought Margo Verger was an Olympian dyke. Now she is preggers with Will's baby?

by Anonymousreply 25805/04/2014

Not spoilers, but speculation: Freddie is not dead; Will is playing a long con, with the approval of Jack Crawford, to get the goods on Hannibal. After he pulled Freddie from the car, he talked her down and explained the situation. He probably had to promise her exclusive rights the story after the case is over to keep her under wraps. Although, it does make Will look suspect with him killing that museum dude and keeping his flesh in his freezer. That's taking it to another level.

Margot is a dyke, but needs to produce an heir. She mentioned that she is totally out of the will - her father disowned her for being gay. There is a clause in his will that Mason is first in line, then a male heir. So the thinking is that Margo is trying to produce an heir for the Verger family fortune before she takes the final step of killing her brother.

by Anonymousreply 25905/04/2014

Will is playing a long con, but I can't tell for sure if Jack is in on it. What does he actually know for example about the death of Randall Tier? If he knew Will killed him, did he sanction that display of Tier's body? Granted Will can make a pretty good case for self-defense, but you'd think the FBI would draw the line at mutilation of a body.

by Anonymousreply 26005/08/2014

Good news!! Hannibal will get a season 3!!!

by Anonymousreply 26105/09/2014

by Anonymousreply 26205/10/2014

My speculation for season 2 finale and season 3: Jack Crawford dies from the wound he gets in the fight with Hanny (from the season opener). With Jack dead, Will no longer has his backup/evidence to put HL behind bars.

Season 3 is Will still hanging around HL, pretending to be his protege, but still looking for ways to bust him. Maybe trying to get those forensic dudes to gather up enough stuff to finally stop the madness. Alana and Freddie are still in the background...

Hey, what's happened to the Bella Crawford story line? They never actually said she'd died yet, right?

by Anonymousreply 26305/10/2014

No way in hell are they killing off Jack and Laurence Fishburne. Fishburne is one if the show's biggest supporters and Fuller loves him, as do the fans.

Bella is still alive.

by Anonymousreply 26405/10/2014

Fucking hell if Hannibal's cover is not blown by the end of this season I'm bailing out of the show. I probably would've done already but they showed Hannibal and Jack Crawford fighting in the first episode of this season so I assumed Hannibal's true self will be revealed. I'm not enjoying these stupid masquerade games at all. They've dragged it out far too long.

by Anonymousreply 26505/10/2014

I think Jack Crawford may not make it. He had a horrible, gushing neck wound. It looked bad, like his carotid artery. Unless he gets to a hospital quickfastinahurry, he's gonna bleed out.

And don't forget, Hannibal was outside the door with a weapon.

by Anonymousreply 26605/10/2014

I keep reading that they're going to introduce a character from the book - Francis Dolarhyde. I know a little about the plot of the book he's in - he's another serial killer nut who corresponds with Lecter after he's (HL) already been caught by the FBI. So it'll be interesting how they spin the details to make that happen.

That may be the direction of season 3.

by Anonymousreply 26705/10/2014

Fuller has a 7 season plan. Season 3 is going to be Will Graham's pursuit and capture of Lecter after his exposure at the end of season 2.

Fuller pretty much breaks down his plan for the show:

"Well, when you get into season four, you get into the literature. And so season four would be Red Dragon, Season Five would be the Silence of the Lambs era, season six would be the Hannibal era, and then Season Seven would be a resolve to the ending of that book. Hannibal ends on a cliffhanger. Hannibal Lecter has bonded with Clarice Starling and brainwashed her and they are now quasi-lovers and off as fugitives, and so that’s a cliffhanger. It might be interesting to resolve that in some way and to bring Will Graham back into the picture. So once we get two more seasons, say, of the television show, those are the aren’t-novelized stories, and then we would get into expansions of the novels after that and kind of using the novels as a backbone for season arcs that would then be kind of enhanced...

[I]t would be about incorporating [Will] in a way that he hasn’t been incorporated in the books, because Will Graham was only mentioned in Silence of the Lambs, he was not seen, and so I would be curious to see what happens to Will Graham after Red Dragon. By the time of Red Dragon, he’s married to Molly and has her son from a previous marriage, but doesn’t have any children of his own. And then that relationship is more complicated by Francis Dolarhyde and there were suggestions that there was a not-so-happy ending for Will Graham after Red Dragon because he has his face carved up and you wonder what’s going to happen to Will now, and I’m curious to see what happens to Will after that.”

by Anonymousreply 26805/10/2014

What is the fascination with people being eaten by other people

by Anonymousreply 26905/10/2014

R268, that sounds good. I must say that even though I enjoy the stylishness of the show I anyway think that it's been too much style over substance. The murders aren't really terrifying but more like scene pictures from a coffee table book. The masquerade games have made it all pretty tedious to me so I'm glad that the next season is about Will hunting down Hannibal.

BTW, do I remember correctly that the tv show can't use the name of Clarice Starling because the movie studio behind Silence of the Lambs still owns rights to it? Wonder how that will pan out if there are seasons beyond the third one.

by Anonymousreply 27005/10/2014

R270, MGM owns the rights to SOTL so as of right now they can't use any characters that originated in that book. It's why Paul Krendler was made into an anagram for Cynthia Nixon's character.

Fuller has said he's confident that they will have the rights when the time comes. Hopefully that's the case.

by Anonymousreply 27105/10/2014

I hope they keep will for the SOTL and Hannibal seasons. I love Hugh Dancy as Will.

I hope NBC stops forcing the killer of the week formula on Fuller. Reading his AV Club interviews of the episodes you can tell he's less satisfied with those episodes and I think it drags down the overall plot.

by Anonymousreply 27205/10/2014

I've not found this season as good as last season. I am also tired of Hugh Dancy's constant exhausted schtick--I want someone to slip him some No-Doz. It made sense last season for him to be that way all the time since he was ill, but now he just seems affected.

by Anonymousreply 27305/11/2014

[quote]No way in hell are they killing off Jack and Laurence Fishburne. Fishburne is one if the show's biggest supporters and Fuller loves him, as do the fans.

Fishburne is exec producer and recurring guest star on an ABC sitcom next season: Black-ish.

by Anonymousreply 27405/11/2014

No spoilers for West coast folks, but was that surreal and wacky or what?

by Anonymousreply 27505/16/2014

Wow, no reaction to last night's episode? A dude ate his own face!

by Anonymousreply 27605/17/2014

That was creepy. Michael Pitt was really channeling Gary Oldman in the Verger role.

I believe next week is the finale, right? The shit will hit the fan.

by Anonymousreply 27705/17/2014

Yes R277, season finale next week.

by Anonymousreply 27805/17/2014

I had to look really hard to recognize Mikkelsen in this photo. He must be a heavy smoker or a drinker.

by Anonymousreply 27905/17/2014

Saw a story on ONTD that Laurence Fishburne is leaving the show to pursue his new venture - a sitcom for the fall season. The odds that Jack Crawford bits it in the finale is basically a done deal.

by Anonymousreply 28005/20/2014

R280, quickly googled about it and no one knows for sure if he's leaving yet. Personally I'd assume that it'd be extremely weird if he exited the show now.

by Anonymousreply 28105/20/2014

They could have Bella die and then Jack is so devastated that he needs to get away from everything.

They should leave the door open for him to come back. Who knows if the sitcom will take off.

I do like his character and his relationship with Will. However, it wouldn't be bad if they killed him off. American shows are usually afraid to kill/let die major characters - but you will see that in shows from other countries.

by Anonymousreply 28205/20/2014

Why don't more people here swoon for Mads?

He is DEAD sexy.

Those lips!!!

by Anonymousreply 28305/21/2014

Season finale was mind blowing.

by Anonymousreply 28405/24/2014

Agreed, R284.

I just read Fuller's interviews about season 3. He said the premiere is basically going to play like a pilot for a new series, and from the main cast we will only see Mads and Gillian. I'm not optimistic for the rest of the cast. Even Will.

That would have been a twisted series finale.

by Anonymousreply 28505/24/2014

From TVGuide:

Bryan Fuller: "I knew that I wanted to have Hannibal lay waste to the remaining cast and then drop the mic and leave the stage"

by Anonymousreply 28605/24/2014

I'll miss Will but glad that both Fishburne and that woman (cop? Forensic tech?) ...don't know her name bit the bullet

by Anonymousreply 28705/24/2014

I don't follow the show that closely, but from the interviews I've seen elsewhere at least Will and Jack are still on board for Season 3, but in different capacities.

"But the short answer is, yes, I am definitely back. And Laurence is back—per availability. He has a couple of other pots on the stove as far as other projects go, but there’s nobody on the show that doesn’t want him to come back. The show has to take on a pretty different shape at this point, I think."

by Anonymousreply 28805/24/2014

Next season will be Hannibal and Bedelia in Rome. Will in pursuit, fueled by the murders of Alana and Abigail. Jack will probably be killed too if Fishburne's shows get picked up.

by Anonymousreply 28905/24/2014

Poor Hannibal couldn't run away with his murder husband so he decided to kill him and their surrogate daughter.

I felt so bad for Abigail -- what a horrible life she's had. She's watched multiple parental figures that were serial killers, watched these men kill/be killed and had her throat slit twice by "fathers".

MM resembled a young Chris Walken in The Deerhunter in the scene where Alana confronts him - the hair in his face did it.

by Anonymousreply 29005/25/2014

The "meal" that Hannibal laid out for himself and Will was a nightmare in itself. I saw a lobster nestled in half a melon, some damaged fruit and some kind of animal carcass on a tray.

by Anonymousreply 29105/25/2014

Hannibal really acted like a spurned lover, didn't he? Even destroying his gift (Abigail) to Will when he realized he'd been betrayed.

So who do we think is dead?

by Anonymousreply 29205/25/2014

Trivia: Did you know that Angela Lansbury was originally cast as Dr. Bedelia Du Maurier? She had to drop out to do some play overseas and the part was rewritten for Gillian Anderson.

I somehow doubt we would've seen Bedelia on that play if Lansbury had been in that role.

by Anonymousreply 29305/25/2014

Both Bryan Fuller and Hugh Dancy have made it very clear that Will Graham will be back. In the novels, his character almost dies (and is forever changed) after Dr. Lecter guts him with a linoleum knife, as happened in the finale, but does live on beyond that.

I am less sanguine about the survival chances for the other three. I would guess Alana is dead for good (good!), and also that Abigail is too (which is too bad, because I like both the character and the actress, but I can;t see what more they'll do with her). My guess is that they wrote Crawford's fate to be ambiguous because they didn;t know where he'd want to go at the end of this season, but if he's willing to do the show (even in a limited way) they'd like him on it.

Given how busy Gillian Anderson is, I can't imagine she'll have more than a recurring role as Dr. Du Maurier, but in some ways I like it that way.

by Anonymousreply 29405/25/2014

Gillian's show Crisis got cancelled and I read somewhere that NBC only renewed because she agreed to sign on as a series regular.

Which I bet means Caroline Dhavernas is out. Which is sad, though she was underutilized here. I hope Fuller gets her another job.

She'll be replaced by Molly.

by Anonymousreply 29505/25/2014

This seemed like a series finale.

The show is beautiful and disgusting. I think I would watch for another few years, not sure about more.

Can't stand the way Anderson sounds on this.

by Anonymousreply 29605/25/2014

Was it a stylistic metaphor or what? But the show became so much darker in terms of lighting that the finale was practically black. I had to switch viewing sources just to to make certain my TV was okay! Based on this season's lighting, next season will have all scenes take place at midnight in a non-illuminated alley!

by Anonymousreply 29705/25/2014

The defenestration scene with Alana was one of the most beautiful I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 29805/25/2014

I think next season will probably take on a lighter tone since a large part of it will be Hannibal and Bedelia in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 29905/25/2014

I didn't think the 2nd season was as good as the first. The 2nd seemed entirely like a dream with just a few characters in it. At first that was really interesting, but then it began to seem too unbelievable and bizarre that: the FBI would let Will get away with killing Tier and mutilating (and posing!) his corpse (when Cynthia Nixon's character appeared and said this this week, I wanted to say, "Where have you been for the last month?); that there seem to be no other reporters in the world other than Freddie Lowndes; that Dr. Lecter can get away with all these elaborately posed murder scenes without leaving behind a single clue, etc.

by Anonymousreply 30005/25/2014

I agree, R300. You know it's a really good show when you have to nitpick to find fault.

This was gorgeous!:

by Anonymousreply 30105/25/2014

ITA with everything you said, R300.

Season 2 was not nearly as believable as season 1, and thus not as enjoyable to me.

That said, the second half of the final episode was absolute fucking MAGIC.

by Anonymousreply 30205/26/2014

But what will happen to Will's dogs?

by Anonymousreply 30305/26/2014

[quote]But what will happen to Will's dogs?

Well, Alana Bloom can take care of them again... oh, wait. Nevermind.

Um, now that we know Abigail Hobbs is alive, she can stay in Will's house and take care of the... ah shit. Oops.

Um, well, there's always The Wonder Twins, Scott Thompson and Aaron Abrams [I've no idea wtf their characters are named].

by Anonymousreply 30405/26/2014

Mason will feed them!

by Anonymousreply 30505/26/2014

[quote]Um, well, there's always The Wonder Twins, Scott Thompson and Aaron Abrams

Can you imagine them going into work the next day?

"Where is everyone?"

by Anonymousreply 30605/26/2014

So I just binged watch both seasons of this show over the past few days. I loved it! So entertaining and can't believe I waited to check it out.

I very much disagree with you R300. The show made clear it was Jack who was protecting Will Graham and there is a reason they were both getting arrested in season finale. It didn't shy away from how outside the legal bounds of the FBI their actions were.

While some of Hannibals actions require a bit of handwaving, from a narrative level I thought Season 2 was much richer than Season 1. It really elevated the show to another level and pretty much every critic I've been looking at agrees.

The finale itself was beautfil, the way Hannibal shows Will how he really was prepared to run off into the sunset with their daughter with him but guts him for the betrayal. Mads portrayal of this character is great.

Sad it will be a year until the show comes back. Interested to see how the show will be since Hannibal/Will's relationship has always been the core of the show but they will presumably be physically separated for most of next season. Wonder what Fuller has up his sleeve.

Great little series, sad (but not surprised) it has poor ratings. If it was on AMC/HBO/Showtime it would likely be a successful hit.

by Anonymousreply 30707/07/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!