Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Minneapolis-St.Paul Gay TV Reporter

Fired for gay comment.

by Anonymousreply 2404/04/2013

WHAT WAS THE COMMENT?

by Anonymousreply 104/04/2013

Sounds like homophobia involved in the firing.

by Anonymousreply 204/04/2013

R1 "I fucked Marcus Bachmann."

by Anonymousreply 304/04/2013

[quote] WHAT WAS THE COMMENT?

He referred to a gay couple as "big HOMO dads." He inserted it into a reporter's story (the version posted on the web) as a prank, and it didn't get deleted.

by Anonymousreply 404/04/2013

[quote]It appears Saxenmeyer got himself in trouble by referring to Melchert and Zimmerman as "big HOMO dads."

by Anonymousreply 504/04/2013

THAT was what got him fired? And HE is gay, himself? Was he responsible for final editing? The person who let it go to press should be sanctioned.

Well, they ARE "homo" dads, just that the "sexual" part of the word was left off, thereby making it sound like a derogatory slur. Too much political correctness in this world today. The guy should not lose his job over this. He owned it, has apologized profusely and that should be that. Guess the station has to make a "statement" of some sort by making him a scapegoat, though? Nail him to the cross as an example.

by Anonymousreply 604/04/2013

What an unprofessional maroon. People need to learn what is/isn't work appropriate humor.

by Anonymousreply 704/04/2013

It's a sad world, because unfortunately, if it were a 'straight' man that happened to do this, he wouldn't have been fired. Gays are a perfect scapegoat, patsy...always have been.

by Anonymousreply 804/04/2013

[quote]if it were a 'straight' man that happened to do this, he wouldn't have been fired.

Oh, really?

by Anonymousreply 904/04/2013

If it had been a straight person who had offered this copy, even as a joke, he would be out on his ass., or at least should be. It should be no different because he's gay.

And he seems to acknowledge that his being let go was appropriate.

Moreover, what he did was, as he acknowledges, not only inappropriate but stupid. If he had simply said this to the reporter covering the story in jest, that would not have been problematic.

But to actually write it in a form that could later become public is an error worthy of being fired.

by Anonymousreply 1004/04/2013

He needs to write obituaries.

by Anonymousreply 1104/04/2013

LOL. Mary, I thought the same thing! I can see a slap on the "limp," wrist here, but being fired? For HOMO?

by Anonymousreply 1204/04/2013

The things you get fired for these days. His "joke" was relatively benign.

by Anonymousreply 1304/04/2013

If he was straight, he would've been fired. He's an idiot, gay or straight.

by Anonymousreply 1404/04/2013

For saying big homo dads? I don't even find that insulting at all.

by Anonymousreply 1504/04/2013

I need experience to have an opinion?

by Anonymousreply 1704/04/2013

Fired for not bing funny. All he could come up with was big homo dads?

by Anonymousreply 1804/04/2013

His apology was like he was addressing the family of children he had murdered.

by Anonymousreply 1904/04/2013

We have football players and coaches who make the most insensitive and inflammatory homophobic comments and yet they are untouchable. They are role models for young kids. This guy says homo dads and he gets fired? There really something wrong with our country.

by Anonymousreply 2004/04/2013

It's not even a funny or clever joke.

by Anonymousreply 2104/04/2013

I agree r19. I don't know if I would even have apologized. They ARE "homo dads." The guy is gay himself. The men are homosexuals. I am sure that "homo" is still a derogatory term in some situations, of course, but this one seems so benign, so banal, so anodyne. And it was a mistake that he ACKNOWLEDGED. If those gay dads were offended, after seeing the bigger picture here, then THEY need a thicker skin or a better sense of humor. No one is saying that what the reporter did is without fault but firing him is awfully extreme. If he had any other things "in his file" that might have merited it, yeah. It would show a lack of professional integrity that might indicate a pattern. Or a lack of character. But one mistake and out? I don't care what some people are saying here, it wasn't THAT big of a deal. And it certainly wasn't INTENDED to be mean-spirited. That is where I go to with it: INTENT.

by Anonymousreply 2204/04/2013

WHY WON'T ANYBODY THINK ABOUT THE POOR FOOTBALL PLAYERS AND COACHES?!?! WHYYYYYYYYYYY? WHYYYYYYYY?

by Anonymousreply 2304/04/2013

The point, R17, is that straights are always held to a lower standard.

by Anonymousreply 2404/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.