Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Does anyone not like the Beetles?

I find their music horribly bland and weird sounding. I don't get the hype.

by Anonymousreply 8305/03/2013

As you can't even spell their name I imagine you are ten years old with nothing better to do.

by Anonymousreply 104/04/2013

Troll post.

0/10

by Anonymousreply 204/04/2013

You should read what Glenn Gould thought of the Beatles.

by Anonymousreply 304/04/2013

They're no Herman's Hermits!

by Anonymousreply 404/04/2013

Do we have to do this troll thread again? It was DOA the last two or three times.

by Anonymousreply 504/04/2013

I always thought they were over-rated. They weren't so special. They sound no different than bands that came later. There were many superior bands in that era: The Monkees, The Archies, 1910 Fruitgum Company, The Miracles, Ohio Express, The Osmonds, The Jackson Five,etc.

by Anonymousreply 604/04/2013

R6 You must be fucking joking! First off, all those bands you named were no talent bubblegum hacks. Second, The Beatles sound no different than the groups that followed them because those bands that followed have spent the last 50 years copying them. Jeezus!

by Anonymousreply 704/04/2013

Meh. I prefer The Who or The Kinks.

by Anonymousreply 804/04/2013

Yeahy, R50,cause "I Want to Hold Your Hand", "Help", "Hard Day's Night" are such trailblazing masterpieces.

by Anonymousreply 904/04/2013

Always thought they were highly over rated and took themselves much too seriously, esp. In the later years. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, I Am the Walrus, etc. For rocking give me Mick and the boys anyway. For either "fun" rock or beautiful music, give me Brian Wilson and his boys.

by Anonymousreply 1004/04/2013

I'd put ELO, Pink Floyd, ABBA, and Queen above them, but the Beatles were damn good for their time.

by Anonymousreply 1104/04/2013

I liked the Beatles back in the day, so much so that I am now permanently sick of them. I bought their mono box set back in '09, but only played each disc once, so I sold it. On iTunes, I have them permanently unchecked except for Sgt. Pepper's and the White Album.

I liked the girl groups in the '60s, including the original Cher, and I can still listen to them, even though I played them just as much as the Beatles. The Beach Boys and the Kinks, same thing. I've never grown tired of them.

by Anonymousreply 1204/04/2013

I began high school the year John Lennon was killed and always felt I was sentenced to four years of non-stop Beatles music (there was even a radio station that went to an all Beatles format for a few years). Yes, they were talented but I've heard enough to last several lifetimes.

by Anonymousreply 1304/04/2013

I don't like Beetles. I prefer doodlebugs, myself.

by Anonymousreply 1404/04/2013

I find their music discordant and depressing.

by Anonymousreply 1504/04/2013

I like them, but their music is so overplayed I never choose to liten to them at home.

by Anonymousreply 1604/04/2013

Didn't like them or Elvis

by Anonymousreply 1704/04/2013

They're the only act who has more number one hits than ME!

by Anonymousreply 1804/04/2013

Only right wing Christians hate the Beatles. Like Marc Chapman, for one. You don't fool us, cochise.

by Anonymousreply 1904/04/2013

I don't get it, but then again, I was around in the 60s, so maybe their music was special. I don't think all that 60s and 70s music deserves so much praise and hype.

I hate best of lists that are basically made up of late 60s and 70s music. What about all the brilliant Jazz and blues music that came before in the 40s and 50s, didn't that just as brilliant, ground breaking and important?

by Anonymousreply 2004/04/2013

[quote]I liked the girl groups in the '60s, including the original Cher,

No kidding, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 2104/04/2013

I like Beetles OP, but not Moths particularly.

by Anonymousreply 2204/04/2013

The hype?

by Anonymousreply 2304/04/2013

I've grown tired of their work over the years.

by Anonymousreply 2404/04/2013

[quote]I've grown tired of their work over the years.

Not surprising, considering that they ceased to exist 43 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2504/04/2013

[quote]They're the only act who has more number one hits than ME!

And they did it in MUCH less time that you've had.

by Anonymousreply 2604/04/2013

They were way before my time, but I've never really liked much of their music. The two songs that stand out to me are Eleanor Rigby, and Honeypie.

by Anonymousreply 2704/04/2013

wished they could have been The Ruttles

by Anonymousreply 2904/06/2013

I had no idea that there was a girl group called Cher.

by Anonymousreply 3004/06/2013

R28, no one could say it better than you just did. I grew up listening to the Beatles, from their boy-band roots in the Cavern Club to their multi-layered, lush final recordings. I doubt that any contemporary (1960s) or subsequent group escaped the Beatles' profound influence, which has lasted for decades and continues to this day.

by Anonymousreply 3104/06/2013

Hilarious, R6!

by Anonymousreply 3204/06/2013

They're no Honey Bees!

by Anonymousreply 3304/06/2013

[quote]They sound no different than bands that came later.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 3404/06/2013

I prefer psychedelic "I am the Walrus" Beatles over poppy "I wanna hold your hand" Beatles.

Magical Mystery Tour and Sgt. Peppers are two of the greatest albums ever produced...

by Anonymousreply 3504/06/2013

I only like side one of MMT (esp. "Flying" from the Alison Steele, the Nightbird Show), but I agree on Sgt. Pepper's.

by Anonymousreply 3604/06/2013

Yes, and despite Entwistle and Moon croaking 'n all and Townshend's severe hearing loss, The Who are still amazing live, R8! The Kinks are probably permanently disbanded because of the Davies - Davies rift, but Dave's solo stuff is interesting. The Beatles? I own most of their stuff, which I haven't played in years.

by Anonymousreply 3704/06/2013

I went to Ringo's 70th birthday at Radio City and Jeff Lynne was there with Olivia Harrison. He still has that hair and the round dark glasses.

by Anonymousreply 3804/06/2013

This post was asking for it. But I can't really agree as The Beatles are difficult to argue with, like the Meryl Streep or Daniel Day-Lewis of music if you will.

I wouldn't dispute that they were the greatest band ever simply because their oeuvre was so vast, they were so prolific and put out hundreds of songs.

They really aren't my favourite though, they're kinda anaemic and the records sound more dated than others from the era - The Who's Substitute was way ahead of the time. Plus they tended to be cluttered and overproduced. The other Brit bands like The Stones and The Zombies not to mention later 80s bands I prefer, then you have the American stuff like The Velvets, Love, Beach Boys.

There were way better singers, better players and The Beatles were one of those kind of "greater than the sum of the parts" acts.

But what made them the best? The songwriting of course. The songs themselves are like a Hitchcock of music and it's essential to know your way around them if you want to have some kind of idea about music.

by Anonymousreply 3904/06/2013

Coldplay's album was recently voted best album ever. They are like this century's Beatles. Which says a lot about the Beatles.

by Anonymousreply 4004/06/2013

That Radio 2 listeners album list was truly bizarre.

First of all they brought out a lot of albums that never turn up in these polls or are forgotten and it was often a less obvious, acclaimed album for some artists - Let's Dance for Bowie?! It was very much sales based and I think the voters were to choose between whatever was suggested.

I knew when Keane were #2 it had to be Coldplay.

by Anonymousreply 4104/06/2013

Radio 2 are jsut 40 year old former Radio 1 listeners, I hardly ever listen to the radio, if I do BBC 6 is pretty much the only station radio station I listen to now.

by Anonymousreply 4204/06/2013

I can't stand most of their songs, particularly 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand', which, to me, is just annoying and inane. 'Yesterday' is cool though.

by Anonymousreply 4304/06/2013

They were the Nirvana of their time.

by Anonymousreply 4404/06/2013

Lol! I'm not 40 for another couple of years but I have been listening to R2 for quite a long time. Oh the shame. And I was a former R1 listener, that is unlistenable these days and I found it just noise after I turned 30 - even with me still liking some trashy chart pop.

R2 is very much like the R1 of the mid 90s. With the same presenters like Chris Evans and the dreaded Zoe Ball.

I really must listen to 6 Music, keep forgetting to preset it. I have only put it on a couple of times and it's more music with good presenters like Mark Radcliffe.

by Anonymousreply 4504/06/2013

The Beetles were great, but I prefer The Rooling Stoons and Lead Zeplin

by Anonymousreply 4604/06/2013

there is no one who doesn't not dislike hating the Beatles.

by Anonymousreply 4704/06/2013

R45, hon? Lay off vodka.

by Anonymousreply 4804/06/2013

I love my vodka yes, that post was meant to be a reply to R42

by Anonymousreply 4904/06/2013

[quote]But what made them the best? The songwriting of course. The songs themselves are like a Hitchcock of music and it's essential to know your way around them if you want to have some kind of idea about music.

r39 that is a really ignorant thing to say. The first music they ripped off was many of the Black artists that were popular before they came along like Little Richard for example.

They were good pop tune writers and many had the quality of the jingles that they no doubt grew up hearing on the radio. So in order to be educated in how they conceived their music it is actually essential to research THEIR influences.

by Anonymousreply 5004/06/2013

"A Day in the Life," "Eleanor Rigby," "I Am the Walrus," don't really sound like jingles, R50. Much of their music was quite sophisticated for pop music, particularly considering they weren't formally trained in music. Leonard Bernstein and Aaron Copland respected them for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 5104/06/2013

Well obviously I know about their influences R50. It's hard not to considering their early covers.

I don't see where you're going with this, you can't compare pre-Beatles music to the developments that would come in the 60s.

If you're saying there were better songwriters than The Beatles who predated them, from Cole Porter to Tin Pan Alley, then fair enough. Holland/Dozier/Holland are my favourite, but as songwriters I can't deny what Lennon/McCartney and even Harrison did, surely their strongest suit.

Some will say The Beatles just wrote overrated nursery rhymes. I tune in from Rubber Soul on.

by Anonymousreply 5204/06/2013

Idiots. Go back to your Justin Bieber videos and The Voice. Idiots.

by Anonymousreply 5304/08/2013

I do not like 95 percent of The Beatles music.

I like just some of their ballads such as Imagine.

by Anonymousreply 5504/08/2013

"Imagine" isn't a Beatles song, R55.

by Anonymousreply 5604/08/2013

I was alive, though very young, during The Beatles' reign, so the music does trigger memories for me. Because my 4 older siblings were all big fans, so I definitely heard them a lot. I haven't listened to them for years, and I probably wouldn't like most of their stuff because I'm picky, but it'd be interesting to see what I would like.

by Anonymousreply 5704/08/2013

You people are all nuts. There's the Beatles and then there is everyone else. They are the once and future band. Mozart, Gershwin and The Beatles. Period, the end.

by Anonymousreply 5804/30/2013

For my money, The Monkees were a thousand times better and ten thousand times more influential than The Beatles. The Beatles were hacks.

Ten Acts Better Than The Beatles.

1. The Monkees

2. The Supremes

3. The Ronettes

4. The Shirelles

5. Sonny & Cher

6. Tom Jones

7. The Fifth Dimension

8. Miss Barbra Joan Streisand

9. Petunia Clark

10. The Association

All had far better songs and had more impact on the music of the future. For what its worth.

by Anonymousreply 5905/01/2013

Only white people like The Beatles. More of the bland music that's no better than Barry Manllow, Michael Bolton, or Wilson Phillips. I don't think any person of taste considers the Beatles anything more than a relic of a past and racist time. Good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 6005/01/2013

R60 Go fuck yourself.

by Anonymousreply 6105/01/2013

The Beatles wrote some of the greatest songs in history.

Hey Jude

Let It Be

Revolution

Come Together

A Day In The Life

Something

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Oh! Darling

Because

The Entire Abbey Road album, especially Side Two.

and many, many more.

by Anonymousreply 6205/01/2013

If you listen to their music in the context of the time period in which they were recorded, you realize how great and innovative they were. Recording artists have spent the last 40-50 years imitating them and using their ideas and melodies, so if you listen to their music without taking into account when it was recorded, it might seem like nothing special or innovative.

by Anonymousreply 6305/01/2013

I really like the sunshine/harmony-pop of that era, bands like The Association, Spanky & Our Gang (their song 'Like to Get to Know You' from 1968 is sublime) and The Beach Boys. The psychedelic and blues stuff of the 60s has been woefully overrated.

I think 'Revolver' is probably The Beatles' best overal album, followed by the 'White Album'. Their best song IMO is 'Day in the Life' from Sgt. Pepper (the rest of that album hasn't dated very well).

by Anonymousreply 6405/01/2013

You had to be there. If you weren't, you're of a different generation that appreciates the likes of Bieber, Spears, and Timberlake.

by Anonymousreply 6505/01/2013

The Beatles were to pop music what Bach and Mozart were to classical music; or what Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington were to jazz.

by Anonymousreply 6605/01/2013

Maybe the Roaling (sic) Stoans (sic)

by Anonymousreply 6805/01/2013

R67 Yeah, music would be so much better if Diane Warren and Jim Steinman wrote everything.

by Anonymousreply 6905/01/2013

R67, You need to expand your musical horizons. It seems as though you are stuck in your Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, Justin Timberlake, Rhianna, bubblegum world. Listen to something besides what you hear promoted on Entertainment Tonight or Inside Edition and you might learn something about the magic and artistry of music (of all eras, not just today). I feel sorry for you if that pop tripe is all you know.

by Anonymousreply 7005/01/2013

Everyone likes The Beatles whether they realize it or not. Almost every piece of music recorded in the last 45-50 years, good or bad, rock, pop, metal, R&B, hip-hop or country contains things lifted from The Beatles. So, you like them whether you know it or not.

by Anonymousreply 7105/01/2013

R67 must be referring to the US versions of the early Beatles albums. For some reason, Capitol slapped horrible reverb (or echo) effects on them and they do sound like they were recorded in a cave. The original UK versions don't sound like that, nor do their later albums.

But lol @ the songwriting comment.

by Anonymousreply 7205/01/2013

R72, did you buy the mono box set, and if so, do you like it better than the stereo remasters?

by Anonymousreply 7305/01/2013

The Beatles were the superior band to the Rolling Stones, but no song the Beatles ever produced comes close to the visceral brilliance of "Gimme Shelter." That song was the exclamation point to the '60s (appropriately released December 1969).

by Anonymousreply 7405/01/2013

R74 "The exclamation point to the '60s." I like that. I get chills when I even think about "Gimme Shelter" (yes, right now).

by Anonymousreply 7505/01/2013

A couple days late, but yes, R73, the mono box set is very much worth it if you are a diehard fan. You get to listen to the music as The Beatles intended it to be heard. Casual fans probably don't notice much difference.

by Anonymousreply 7605/03/2013

[quote]You should read what Glenn Gould thought of the Beatles.

Well, Glenn Gould raved about Streisand's classical album, so it's not like the man had infallible taste.

by Anonymousreply 7705/03/2013

The Beatles were horrible. If only they had never existed, music would be in a far better place. I blame them for every bad song released since 1964. If they had not existed rock and roll would have been dead by 1965, it was already on life support at the time the Beatles arrived.

Imagine, if the 60s, 70s & 80s had been dominated by the classics like Dean Martin, Rosemary Clooney, Barbra Joan Streisand, Frank Sinatra. Instead we got screechy crap like The Rolling Stones, and all that horrid acid rock tripe. We ended up with 50 years of yelling and screaming. Then we got hip hop and the true death of music.

I cannot wait until the rock and roll era is dead and gone. I hope all of the tapes are erased and we can pretend it never happened. I am 61, I can't wait forever.

by Anonymousreply 7805/03/2013

The really big black and brown beetles startle me, but the pretty little delicate lady bugs charm me. Are they beetles?

by Anonymousreply 7905/03/2013

R78 I just love people like you. We all have different tastes in music. You want every genre to die out except what you like so that we will all be forced to listen to and like what you prefer. I shudder to think about the state of music if the sixties, seventies and eighties were ruled by lounge and cocktail music. How boring! I love diversity. I like to listen to dance music for a while, then change over to classic rock, then to country, then to pop, then to metal. I like the variety. I can't imagine only listening to Babs, etc. BORING!

by Anonymousreply 8005/03/2013

R78, You can't wait forever? You can die now if you like. We give you permission.

by Anonymousreply 8105/03/2013

The Beatles stand as the greatest rock act ever. No will never be eclipsed.

by Anonymousreply 8205/03/2013

[quote] I am 61, I can't wait forever.

The Beatles and rock and roll will outlast you, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 8305/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.