Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Christopher Abbott leaves HBO series Girls after butting heads w/ Lena Dunham

Christopher Abbott has abruptly left the hit HBO series Girls. According to Page Six, Abbott — — who plays Allison Williams’ boyfriend Charlie on the show — began butting heads with series creator Lena Dunham as the show entered production again.

“They’ve just started work on Season 3, and Chris is at odds with Lena,” a source said. “He didn’t like the direction things are going in, which seems a bit odd since the show put him on the map.”

Abbott’s rep confirms the departure, saying: “[Chris] is grateful for the experience of collaborating with Lena, JuddF [Apatow], and the entire Girls cast and crew, but right now he’s working on numerous other projects and has decided not to return to the show.”

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 32806/12/2013

brilliant!! he was far too good for that born on third basic bitch show anyway

lena looks exactly like the main character from a children's book series called little critter and her ugliness makes me happy

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 104/04/2013

Dunham sounds like a terror to work with. She is also at odds with an actress on the show.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 204/04/2013

He is stunningly handsome. She seems to write scenes that humiliate other characters who are prettier or could possibly steal attention from her, like Marnie being locked in a cage and liking it, Adam's girlfriend having her ass eaten after she says no and then him coming on her after she says no, she demeans the female characters. I can only imagine that she would demean the Charlie character soon enough since he is so stunning and probably the reason a lot of people watch.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 304/04/2013

Dude will regret it.

Lena Dunham by the way is a dead ringer for Stephin Merritt of the Magnetic Fields, especially with a Chihuahua in her cleavage.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 504/04/2013

Merritt:

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 604/04/2013

Sorry for those lousy links. But you can fish around a little, once you get there.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 704/04/2013

When's this show gonna end?

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 804/04/2013

Good for you, Chris! You don't have to take any shit from the producer/creator, I never do! Come join me and we can do our own show.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 904/04/2013

It must be a bitch for talented and professional actors and actresses having to take daily shit from that talent-free fat fuggo Dungham!

I predict the next season will be the last....

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 1004/04/2013

Dunham does look like Stephen Merritt

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 1104/04/2013

It will be more interesting without Charlie. Say what you want about Lena Dunham but she's a lightening rod of controversy and it's that attention that has put so many of the actors/actresses on this show on the map. Since when did Chris Abbott become a writer? She did pretty well by him the first two seasons.

She probably had him hook up with Elijah.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 1204/04/2013

What an idiot. I guess every generation needs a David Caruso.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 1304/04/2013

I don't think she knows how to write for men. When she puts two men together, they talk about Hannah--not sports or movies or politics. I honestly don't think that straight men share those kind of feelings very much. They're much more likely to brag about sexual experiences.

I think Christopher will do just fine.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 1404/04/2013

'Stunningly handsome' implies, to me anyway, a guy with unusual looks. I feel like I see that guy on the street every day a hundred times.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 1504/04/2013

Ugh.

The only characters I like on this show are the guys and now Charlie will be gone. :(

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 1604/04/2013

Sounds like lardass is self-destructing.

Hope it costs her that show soon.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 1704/04/2013

Don't worry girls we will be seeing a lot of Christoper Abbott. He is adorable.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 1804/04/2013

He is pretty enough, but is he that good of an actor? I saw his episode of Enlightened, but it is not like he is working elsewhere.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 1904/04/2013

He's supposed to act, not give pointers on the direction of her vision.

This is not a good look for him.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 2004/04/2013

I'm no fan of that soft boiled pot sticker Dunham, but it IS her show after all. She's writer, director and creator.

It's fine not to like her, but he is very much her 'employee', like it or not. So he probably did the right thing by leaving since he doesn't like it.

She'll eventually go away but right now, she's a novelty just like Justin Beiber.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 2104/04/2013

[quote]lena looks exactly like the main character from a children's book series called little critter and her ugliness makes me happy

Whoa...you're actually right. It's her illustrated character twin.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 2304/04/2013

It's pilot season.

He's getting offers for better (starring) roles written by better writers/producers.

The public and industry will more than sympathize - no one wants to work for that ugly man-hating cunt.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 2404/04/2013

[quote]When she puts two men together, they talk about Hannah--not sports or movies or politics. I honestly don't think that straight men share those kind of feelings very much. They're much more likely to brag about sexual experiences.

This is why slash fiction is so ridiculous and embarrassing. Female writers put words in men's mouths that they would never say. Straight men never yammer on endlessly about relationships ad nauseam the way women do.

The fact that LD's male characters do little but obsess about HER is narcissism run amok.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 2604/04/2013

It's not like this show will last much longer anyway. It was clear in Season 2 that any creative novelty had worn off. Unlike Season 1 which was oddly entertaining, at least to me, Season 2 was a complete chore.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 2704/04/2013

It's like "thirtysomething" in that the ratings never measure up to the hyoe and critical accolades.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 2804/04/2013

Which of the female actors is she supposed to be clashing with?

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 2904/04/2013

"I don't think she knows how to write for men."

First of all, I think at least half or more writers on the show are male. Secondly, I never thought the writers of "Sex and the City" knew how to write for men.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 3004/04/2013

This fucking show won the Peabody Award this year! What the fuck? I can't figure out what the champions of this show saw this particular season to applaud. Season One had a freshness and a bracing brashness that was exciting so maybe they are responding to that memory. Season Two was horribly written (a few zingers does not a script make)and the acting with the exception of some of the males was terrible. Christopher really wasn't tested too much as an actor but his character was more than just a heap of personality tics like Hannah and that Mamet chick. He seemed like a real person. I'm sure this will be the beginning of an exodus...look for Williams or Mamet to leave at some point as well.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 3104/04/2013

[quote]Which of the female actors is she supposed to be clashing with?

Zosia Mamet, from what I've heard.

Why I can't for the life of me understand why she'd be so difficult to work with!

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 3204/04/2013

He'll end up regretting this. Nevermind the show will be big next year too, he probably burned his bridges with Apatow and he's the only one in that group that looks good on the big screen. Jason Segal's nude scenes are the equivalent to Lena Dunham's only he's molier.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 3304/04/2013

He's stunning on video, but after googling images, he doesn't look all that great in pictures.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 3404/04/2013

Exactly r33! Even if he thinks the show sucks and maybe had a reason to leave, he will be branded difficult and really more trouble than he's worth. There are a million starving actors in NY who won't give attitude and would kill to be on a hit show.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 3504/04/2013

I just watched Season 2 - it was much darker than the first.

this guy is really beautiful on screen, but I realized how deluded Leah Dunham must be after watching the episode where she sleeps with the doctor. He calls her beautiful - which is a stretch, but even more odd when its she herself who wrote the dialogue.

And she never shuts the fuck up talking about herself

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 3604/04/2013

Not to beat a dead horse, but the Wilson/doctor episode was clearly designed as a fantasy.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 3704/04/2013

Lena is my way or the highway. She's famously difficult to work with. She feels entitled.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 3804/04/2013

I've been watching the series on demand (didn't have HBO for a while). First season was good, but god, the second season is tedious.

Too many scenes of that fat cow eating. It is like how they begin every shot, with her stuffing her face.

They're resorting to lame attempts to be shocking to make up for lack of writing. How many times do we need to see someone on the toilet? Or that fat pig naked in a tub?

Season 3 will be the last for sure. Any interesting or promising story line seems to get dumped or ended right when it starts to get good.

And this twink, Abbott. He looked good with a buzz cut.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 3904/04/2013

illuminati 1% piggie girl and her sandbox tv show - RUN for it, dude!

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 4004/04/2013

I love the show, and I love Christopher Abbott as Charlie. (I also loved Christopher Abbott in the movie he did with Melanie Lynskey where he bared his ass. Cute.) But I think Girls will survive without him, and he will survive without Girls. A non-story.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 4104/04/2013

None of these characters are written as vital to the show. Hell, the British chick was gone until the end of the season - did it really matter?

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 4204/04/2013

I never bought him as a straight boyfriend.

He comes across as very gay.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 4304/04/2013

She only has a show because of who she knows. She never got a deal on merit, never because she was ever good. The fat, dumb bitch should keep that in mind. She does deserve to be on television. She went to the front of the line because of a friend.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 4504/04/2013

Did Abbott ever get his cock out?

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 4604/04/2013

I know R45, it really makes me wish The World According to Jim. Now THAT'S television.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 4804/04/2013

[quote]I bet many of us clash with our bosses and don't like the direction they are headed, blah, blah.

"I don't like the direction they are headed" and "working on numerous projects" is probably the actor's equivalent to "I want to spend more time with my family."

He was probably fired or has a very good reason to quit that he is being discreet about. Wait.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 4904/04/2013

R47, Lena may have asked him to do something so explicit and/or disgusting that it will dog him for the rest of his career). If that's the case I don't blame him for walking. She does seem to enjoy degrading her actors.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 5004/04/2013

r14, au contraire, I think in fact that she writes better for men than for women.

Well, the most interesting character on the show is Dunham/Hannah; and a few of her "older" women - the moms! - have been enjoyable, especially Becky Ann Baker, who plays Dunham's mom.

But of the young people, the characters whom Dunham allows the most nuance are the Alex Karpovsky guy, who is like the John Turturro of the 2010s crossed with Steve Buscemi, and Adam Driver, Dunham's boyfriend, who is the true focus of the show: he's the one she wants, and so the show wants him, too. And then in terms of bit parts, Jorma Taccone has had the most impact as Booth Jonathan the absurd little Brooklyn artist.

And it is not true that guys do not talk about girls, about girlfriends, when they are together. Have you met any guys? Sounds to me like you have issues with successful women. This board in any case hates Dunham for being successful and unashamed, which most of you clearly are not.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 5104/04/2013

"Season 3 will be the last for sure. Any interesting or promising story line seems to get dumped or ended right when it starts to get good."

Don't be too sure. ENTOURAGE went on long past it's expiration date.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 5204/04/2013

This is only happening because I watched the entire two seasons on free HBO last week, and I really liked it, and found Abbott's character compelling.

Typical. Any other shows you want me to kill off?

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 5304/04/2013

[quote]Lena may have asked him to do something so explicit and/or disgusting that it will dog him for the rest of his career

So she wanted him to have sex with her?

[quote]Don't be too sure. ENTOURAGE went on long past it's expiration date.

But ENTOURAGE had great ratings. The dirty secret with GIRLS is that NO ONE watches it outside of NYC. It gets a lot of magazine covers, but no one actually tunes in, aside from the Brooklyn hipster set.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 5604/04/2013

It's like none of you remember what it was like to be in your 20s.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 5804/04/2013

He's sick, R44. Ignore him.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 5904/04/2013

Sorry r57, but I don't think there's been an entertainment industry figure as eminently hateble as Lena Dunham. The self-absorption, hypocrisy, pretentiousness, nepotism, and exhibitionism are unparalleled.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 6004/04/2013

I think she's a great writer and director.

That's really all I care about.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 6104/04/2013

r54& r55 - Still, why do you think you get to say "you queers?" You're just different versions of the 'mo troll.

And do we have to say this every time - you really have no idea who is making what post. It's equally likely that the most virulent posts are by straight females.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 6204/04/2013

Well, R64, she is 1) female, 2) fat, 3) connected and 4) successful. It doesn't help that she also seems to have an unpleasant personality.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 6504/04/2013

Oh so that's why Lens said she'd kill off Zosia Mamet's character! It was meant as a warning. Frankly, Jessa is the weak link. No1curr about her.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 6604/04/2013

I don't see how Dunham hates men. Both her [in real life] and her character on the show seem to revere them and kind of put them at the center of many things without questioning it.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 6704/04/2013

Why the hate?

Because it's Sex and the City/Sarah Jessica Parker all over again—but worse.

1) Both Lena Dunham and Sarah Jessica Parker play(ed) whiny, entitled cunts who are inherently unlikable.

2) Both have Anne Hathaway Disease in interviews.

3) Both, because of their deluded narcissistic vanity, play characters who are God's Gift to Men, despite being extremely unfortunate looking. Lena writes her character this way; as a producer, SJP made SATC position her character that way. That arrogance alone makes them very difficult to root for.

4) Lena Dunham has never had to work a day in her life; she grew up in NYC with noted artist parents. She has now been assigned the title "Voice of a Generation" although she has been handed everything. That's like saying Goop is the model of the American working mother.

5) Now provincial shitheads are going to start moving to NYC acting like Girls characters.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 6904/04/2013

[quote]Lena Dunham has never had to work a day in her life

She writes, directs and produces her own TV series. You're an idiot if you don't think that's work.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 7004/04/2013

I'd like Christopher to cum inside me quite fiercely.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 7104/04/2013

Lol at Jason Segal as the molier, male Lena Dunham.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 7204/04/2013

Die, Lens Poonham, die!

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 7304/04/2013

R70, you are a literal-minded dumbass.

That is an expression, and it's meant to convey that, generally, to be a writer/producer/director anything, you go to school, accrue $100,000 in debt, then shovel shit for years as an intern/PA before you become an assistant anything.

That's one impetus behind the "irrational hate." It's not irrational; it's quite rational for anyone who's worked hard to scratch/claw their way up to resent her easy ride with marginal talent.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 7404/04/2013

R75 = Lena Dunham, squatting over a hand mirror

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 7604/04/2013

This is worse than when Ashley Abbott left Jabot!

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 7704/04/2013

R76 = Bum, posting from a cardboard box.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 7804/04/2013

R74, and you're just a dumbass.

Having a mother who's only famous in the art world doesn't mean shit and certainly doesn't give her any easier ride to making it in the entertainment world.

Fuck, Colin Hanks is Tom Hanks' son, and he certainly can't get his own HBO series. Yet, people act like Lena Dunham got some free pass because of her artist mother, who by all accounts is successful at what she does, but lets be real, has no fucking weight in the world of TV and movies.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 7904/04/2013

[quote]Having a mother who's only famous in the art world doesn't mean shit and certainly doesn't give her any easier ride to making it in the entertainment world.

You. Are. Delusional.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 8004/04/2013

WHET to Lena Dunham?

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 8104/04/2013

R51 = dumb frau who thinks ANY criticism = jealousy.

Newsflash dopey: You can dislike a narcissistic bore like Lena Dunham and still love yourself.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 8204/04/2013

It's not "any criticism," it's hysterical hatred.

Makes no sense.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 8304/04/2013

Why are you here you dumb sow cow @ R68? You have clearly lost your way. Let me help you:

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 8404/04/2013

I've never seen this show, nor can I recall ever seeing Lena Dunham in anything prior to this show.

She is so personally repellent and the clips I've seen of the show are so appallingly stupid that I cannot understand why anyone would watch it.

My strongest image of her is when she was slooooooowly waddling up to the stage to accept an award. I swear to god, the girl could not even walk that short distance.

I heard she's doing enough cocaine to fell an ox these days. Maybe it will help her learn how to walk across a room.

Also, what on Earth are all these Lena Dunham fangirls doing here on the DL? Surely she has a webpage or a fansite they can visit.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 8504/04/2013

It's "Lens" Dunham's way or the highway.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 8604/04/2013

[quote]Surely she has a webpage or a fansite they can visit.

Begone delusional fangurls:

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 8704/04/2013

[quote]Dude will regret it.

He'll be just fine.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 8804/05/2013

He was the only good looking male on the entire show.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 8904/05/2013

[quote]Both, because of their deluded narcissistic vanity, play characters who are God's Gift to Men, despite being extremely unfortunate looking. Lena writes her character this way; as a producer, SJP made SATC position her character that way. That arrogance alone makes them very difficult to root for.

I'll give you SJP on SATC, but have you ever even watched Girls? God's gift to men? Really? Every guy, except the black republican (and some might say that's fucked up), was either weird, stalkery, or just used her in some way - mostly to fuck her. She has never been portrayed as a beautiful on the show, even her own father pretty much called her fat. As the show's protagonist, you can't even really root for her because she's so fucked up. So there is no way that you can watch this show and come away with #3. You're watching a different show.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 9104/05/2013

The fact that they fucked her at all is the implausible stretch, R91.

Patrick Wilson was the tipping point. Would. Never. Happen.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 9204/05/2013

for the record... the poster who only likes the guy characters on girls (me) who started the whole "you queers" kerfuffle is a straight chick

now I return you to your regularly scheduled lens loathing

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 9304/05/2013

I don't really know what to think of this show. The male characters, no matter how cynical, are ultimately pussy whipped by these whiny, childish, directionless, and with the exception of the Marnie character, very unattractive little bitches. Hannah is the new Carrie Bradshaw. What else is there to say?

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 9404/05/2013

the person who brought up tom and colin hanks has a good point.

if having hollywood/media/nyc connections is what got lena the show, then why does she have the lead role when supporting characters like brian williams's daughter and david mamet's daughter have better connections.

can't you just hate lens for her own sake instead of inventing reasons to hate her?

also the molier lena dunham comment re: jason segel is going to be with me for a long time. they so are going to be paired in an apatow flick in the next 3 years.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 9504/05/2013

Ugly men always think they're entitled to have a beautiful woman and when movies are made about the ugly guy getting the hot chick, it's praised but women like Lena Dunham or SJP get trashed because they depict average looking women with good looking guys.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 9604/05/2013

r97 sounds fat

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 9804/05/2013

R98 is looking for someone to massage her hemorrhoids.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 9904/05/2013

R97 = Lena Dunham.

You poor deluded thing.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 10004/05/2013

Lens Clamham really does look like Little Critter.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 10104/05/2013

LENS!

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 10304/05/2013

Her fucking Patrick Wilson, whose character was lonely and depressed, was not a stretch. I see hot dudes with fat chicks ALL the time.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 10404/05/2013

I just thought the episode with Patrick Wilson was about two lonely people in a big city. It showed how isolated and lonely for human connection people can be even in "the greatest city on earth." I'm sure it goes on all the time. No need to frame it as fantasy.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 10504/05/2013

Thank you r106. I have fucked many a pig because it was just easier than going through the effort of getting something better. And believe it or not, there is nothing wrong with having a grateful fat chick in your backpocket for late nights and other handy things.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 10704/05/2013

I think we can all agree that Girls is an inconsistent show. The first season was oddly entertaining, fresh, and intriguing. The second season started off well, then ended horribly.

That said, I think we can all also agree that:

1. The Hannah/Lena character IS NOT portrayed as beautiful, or even very likeable, on the show. This attack on Lens, that she writes herself as "beautiful" needs to be stricken from the debate. It's just not true, not even mildly true.

2. I'm sure her artist parents helped her a bit. Maybe helped her find an agent. Taught her the discipline it takes to be a working artist. How to behave properly around people in the know. Things like that. But claiming they're responsible for her career is ridiculous. We can site thousands upon thousands of famous spawn, a million times more famous spawn then that of very niche NYC artists, who tried and failed in the TV/Film. I bet what really happened is Judd Apatow saw Tiny Furniture, took a meeting with her, she pitched Girls, he loved it and HE made it happen. And I GUARANTEE you Judd knows nothing of the NYC art scene.

3. Lena is fat by TV standards. I realize that can be odd for us gays. We work hard to stay fit. But, we have to get over it. It's no reflection on us if she wants to be fat. Her life, her body, her choice.

4. While Lena comes across quite charming on TV interviews, certainly lately (she seemed too forced when she first made it), I have no doubt she can be a monster to work with.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 10804/05/2013

Thanks, R108, for the first accurate description of Lena Dunham on DL.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 10904/05/2013

Can't we all just agree to call her 'Lens'? It brings me such mirth...

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 11004/05/2013

For the straight guy who fucks fat chicks:

Do you tell them they're beautiful? Dunham has her male characters tell her she's beautiful.

It just seems so bizarre.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 11104/05/2013

Jesus, get over the beautiful/ugly thing.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 11204/05/2013

Thanks, R108.

Morality is often a moving target on the DL.

Very conditional.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 11304/05/2013

Thanks, 108. Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Yes, thank you ever so much for or deciding for ALL of us here on DL on what "we can all agree."

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 11404/05/2013

You know who it is, R115.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 11604/05/2013

"the fact that she dares to be unattractive and overweight and somewhat successful"

WTF? She "dares to be" - her being overweight is one thing, but her illustrating her body with multiple tattoos clearly indicates she is an exhibitionist annoying even to exhibitionists.

I don't give a damn about tattoos or weight, but her insistence on getting NAKED in every single episode is just pathetic. If she were straight, and showing her naked fit body every week would also be annoying.

After all, don't we also dump on Kellan Lutz and Mario Lopez for being shirtless and they are good-looking men!

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 11804/05/2013

[R117] There's nothing wrong with people disliking Lena's work, but the posters who are mocking her appearance and implying that she doesn't deserve to be successful because of that are gross tbh.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 11904/05/2013

I actually think this guy is an idiot on par with Jon Lovitz, Jan Hooks and Nora Dunne to be doing this but I do agree about people who don't want to see Lens naked. I don't think that if she were a research doctor or a great educator or whoever you would revere, that it would matter. But the fact is she is in a very visual medium where you are absolutely judged on your looks and your figure, and usually people have to bust their asses to stay in shape to get such a job. Everyone knows that tv is about fantasy and if we wanted to see average people, we could do that at home. It's not so much that she dares to be fatter than we like or not attractive but that she gets lauded for it when most unattractive people aren't.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 12004/05/2013

He probably didn't look forward to more scenes with his face in Alison Williams crotch. That was just gross. As is all the sex scenes in Girls. The only one that was remotely hot was the bi/guy/probablynot on straight girl action.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 12104/05/2013

BEARASAUR! Christopher Abbott, stars as Dr Kashley Ames, DNA researcher and hunter of his former college roommate's creation, the Bearasaur, part bear, part tyrannosaurs. Coming to SYFY, June 2015.

Seriously tho, this guy is a fucking idiot. Or he needs to come clean with something so heinous that Lens did and we'll probably all still lose interest.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 12204/05/2013

r117 - probably.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 12304/05/2013

I actually want to watch "Bearasaur". Which part of the bear would go with which part of the tyrannosaur?

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 12404/05/2013

Looking at Christopher Abbott pictures, I can't get over how beautiful he is. He reminds me of a dark haired young Ryan O'Neal. This kid is gorgeous.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 12504/05/2013

Maybe he's the one who's difficult to work with.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 12604/05/2013

In real life their worlds would NEVER collide.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 12704/05/2013

Please, Princess Christopher probably thinks he has a career in movies. He won't. He can be easily replaced.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 12804/06/2013

I'm turned off by her flaunting her gross physique, on the toilet, gorging on food, in the shower. The shock value wore off and now it is a crutch.

Season 2 was just bad. The writing was weak at best, like a series of disjointed journal entries.

And yes, the hot doctor fucking that troll was a turning point for me. It would never happen. Hot guys fuck trolls, yes, but they don't keep them around past daybreak.

I can't quite figure out what "direction" an actor would object to for his character - like what, the guy was into bestiality or pedophilia? Or maybe she made him a cripple who could only communicate via blinks as a test of Marni's superficiality? Or had him hurling racial slurs or the leader of a white supremacist / neo nazi group?

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 12904/06/2013

Maybe that's why Girls gets such buzz r120, because Lena is written a show that is sort of real. The only group more fucked up than post college 20something girls are teenage girls. It is an extremely difficult, ugly time. It is filled with stupid choices and mistakes. Fucking stupid guys. Trying to figure stuff out. And Lens sort of captures why its so particularly awful, especially with our generation of pampered kids. I currently have 4 friends whose parents are paying either all or part of their rent, their cell phone bill and other utilities.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 13004/06/2013

[quote]What's so stupid is that the people on this thread have such strong, preconceived notions of what this show is supposed to be and where it's supposed to go and it is her subversion of your expectations that makes her show so successful. The idea that you know better is characteristic of petty little middle-class queens who think they're so classy, refined and well-mannered. It's called "provincialism" and you've got it in spades.

Wow, Miss Ghetto Thing had quite a hissyfit this afternoon.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 13104/06/2013

The T-rex. obviously has the bear arms. Charlie too, he'll be fat in 5 years.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 13204/06/2013

Good point r130 and maybe it is. However there is a thread right now where the super hot (to me) Dean Winters is being called fat and out of shape so some people just will not like Lens, period. I liked the first season but stopped watching this one, just not as good as it was.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 13304/06/2013

"He's supposed to act, not give pointers on the direction of her vision."

Her vision? What exactly is Dunham's vision, portraying characters who are navel gazing 100% of the time? I recommed this tedious series to people who are masochists.

The character of Hannah has absolutely no redeeming qualities, I almost hoped she would have died when she pushed that Q-Tip all the way into her ear, then she did it again. Talk about predicatable and obnoxious. I really enjoyed the 'fuck you' attitude from the Indian ER doctor who was dealing with her self-absorbed bullshit. When a guest character read her nonsense immediately, it was a much welcomed breath of fresh air.

Most of the times, as viewers, are programmed to wish the underdog character well. In Hannah's case...her obnoxious over-the-top narcissism, especially when she told her former roommate (the "New Normal" actor) that she was grinding her bare vagine into the kitchen chair! Give me a fucking break, there is nothing endearing about such a person and no, you don't feel sorry for them either.

It seems Dunham knows EXACTLY what she is doing, making this character as repulsive as possible for whatever bizarre reason she has for doing it! Possibly, because she simply can? Her always entitled delusional whiny character makes me wish she'd get hit by a Mack truck while walking to her job at Grumpy's. Hannah is so annoyting LD needs to completely write Hannah out of the show, because she is the least interesting.

As others have posted, she needs to stop having other characters call her "beautiful", she doesn't have a 'beautiful' personality nor is she physically attractive.

Hannah Horvath is one of the most despicable, tedious, boring and odious characters on TV, Hannibel Lecter has more charm than Hannah. What annoys people even more, LD is hideous to look at and she is not even funny let alone a good actress. Hannah's repulsive acts make her seem even more disgusting. One has to wonder why LD didn't cast a real actress in this part, jealousy towards a woman who has more acting chops? She doesn't want anyone to outshine her? Message to LD: the public is tired of you already.

Sure, in real life we all put up with the nonsense of pretty people, until we finally wake up and see how horrible they are. In the case of Hannah AKA LD (let's face it, she IS playing herself, she cannot act and comes across as being obnoxious and self absorbed as HH), Hannah is ugly inside and out. At some point, even the best of friends stop putting up with that kind of bullshit.

Of course, there have always been TV series with odious and annoying characters, "Seinfeld" was filled with obnoxious characters, but the actors and actresses could act, the scripts were always hilarious and well written and the series was brilliant.

Am I stunned by the success of "Girls", if not the actuall 'success', then the over the top praise for what is essentially one long student film. Yes, "Girls" comes across like a self indulgent amateurish student film. Apatow must have owed Dunham's family a huge favor, I can't believe the back story that he got in touch with LD because of "Tiny Furniture", because, like "Girls", TF wasn't very interesting or well acted.

Another aspect which infuriates me about this show, the characters are always in the dark, I guess it's a blessing most of the series is so poorly lit, we don't have to see every inch of Dunham's horrendous white Pillsbury Dough Boy body, with apologies to the Pillsbury Dough Boy, at least he's cute and cheerful!

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 13404/06/2013

Ok but enough beating around the bush, r134, tell us how you really feel!

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 13504/06/2013

Characters are supposed to be likeable?

I don't think so.

Nobody more obnoxious and self-absorbed than the people on SEINFELD.

Lena Dunham is really really talented. Hannah Horvath is sometimes self-absorbed, sometimes charming, sometimes annoying, sometimes hilarious: complicated and contradictory, like everyone. She's the most fully rounded character on that show.

I totally believe Patrick Wilson would want her.

You self-hating homos and the women who love them have got to stop being so angry at successful women. It's really getting in your way, and it's hurting teenagers, who count on us adults to set an example for them.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 13604/06/2013

R125, oh come on! He's a good looking guy but I encounter a handful of guys just as good looking or better when I go to the grocery store.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 13704/06/2013

Please keep r134 away from any All In The Family reruns!

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 13804/06/2013

r134, have you never SEEN an indie film?

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 13904/06/2013

I'm assuming Allison Williams' pussy must really stink for him to bolt like this.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 14004/06/2013

[quote]Hot guys fuck trolls, yes, but they don't keep them around past daybreak.

Slow clap for R129. This is a reality that the delusional fangurls just can't grasp.

R136, why are you still trolling here if as you say:

[quote]This is a board for self-loathing women and self-hating gay men.

Which one of those are you?

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 14104/06/2013

[quote]Lena Dunham is really really talented.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 14204/06/2013

r136 Just wants us to think of the children! His post lost me there, it's quite a fucking stretch to say that people who don't like "Girls" are somehow setting a bad example for teens.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 14304/06/2013

R136 is the infamous, much loathed Misogyny Troll in a 'somewhat' saner disguise. She can't control her psychosis for very long though. The crazy is really starting to shine through with that last post.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 14404/06/2013

Why are you here, R145?

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 14604/06/2013

Ha, funny typo: plays a character, not lays a character.

The people who are unhinged are the ones on this board who refuse to intervene against the constant unrelenting hatred of women.

You all are pathetic, really, and tragic, too.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 14704/06/2013

I don't understand the animosity directed at Lena Dunham. She seems to go out of her way to look awful on the show. She certainly doesn't present Hannah as a sexpot, but as a hapless young woman. I enjoyed Season 1, but Season 2 has a lot of contrived story lines, such as the e-book deadline, the guardian angel junky, and Charley's success. There seems to be nowhere for his character to go.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 14904/06/2013

I think r134 has summed up the show, the character of Hannah, and Lena Dunhum as star, writer and director better than anyone in this thread. Kudos.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 15004/06/2013

Apparently, no one on Datalounge can imagine that a woman who is not bone thin and costumed by Vera Wang will have any sort of future.

Has it not occurred to you that Dunham puts Hannah in those unflattering onesies on purpose?

Do you think everyone is as fucking stupid as you are?

She'll try to have a relationship with that tall guy who builds things, and we'll watch that work or not work. I mean: have none of you ever SEEN a sitcom?

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 15104/06/2013

r134 is a vile woman-hater and desperately needs therapy.

Dunham is a charming actor, and sometimes she looks frumpy, and sometimes she looks cute-and-frumpy, and sometimes she makes herself look dour and grim, and sometimes she makes herself look sweet.

You body fascists can't imagine that it's possible for anyone to want anyone with more than -.02% body fat.

You are fascists and emotional terrorists and your reign will end.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 15204/06/2013

That said, I never believed the whole 3-book story line.

But the scene with the woman who wanted Hannah to write for her blog, and who pointed at the two things hanging on the wall, one of which was a square box that said "Comfort Zone" above it, and the other of which was a little circle way outside the box that said "Where Magic Happens" above it - that whole scene was dead on. Dead on in the way it depicted the editor who wanted Hannah to "step outside her comfort zone." It was total on-the-mark satire of exactly that sort of editor-type-person. And the show if full of little moments like that. She's just Woody Allen as a 25-year-old woman in 2013. Right? Her comedy has a heavy dose of PLAY IT AGAIN, SAM-era Woody Allen mixed into it.

It's just that you CANNOT STAND IT WHEN A WOMAN PROVES THAT SHE CAN DO EVERYTHING HERSELF, including getting Patrick Wilson to mount her.

You are sick with jealousy and rage.

It's so clear.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 15304/06/2013

That should say e-book story line, not 3 book. Yikes.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 15404/06/2013

[quote]The people who are unhinged are the ones on this board who refuse to intervene against the constant unrelenting hatred of women.

Intervene how, R147? Who are you, the opinion police? Lots of us gown adults with minds of our own think Lens Dungham is an unattractive, no talent, narcissistic bore. That doesn't make us "woman haters" in general, Sherlock. We just can't stand HER. Do you get that? Can your simple mind grasp the concept that ANY criticism of one woman does not reflect someone's opinion of half the population?

Check out the gif at R142. Now THAT is the sort of attractive, talented actress (who is not skinny, BTW) that we want to embrace. I don't think you will see Christina Hendricks sitting on the toilet examining her last bowel movement any time soon.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 15504/06/2013

Get some sleep R153. No need to have a mental breakdown over a stupid HBO series. Things will look better in the morning when the nurse comes with your pill.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 15604/06/2013

I'm a gay man, dude. I'm 54 years old, I was a faggot in high school, I've had 3 long-term boyfriends, currently single, everyone I knew in my 20s died of AIDS, I vote Democrat not because I like Democrats, I have a penis just like other gay guys do (generally speaking), I was best friends as a kid mostly with girls, and those girls saved my life, and I KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A REASONABLE CRITIQUE OF A SHOW AND AN ANGRY WOMAN-HATING OUTBURST.

This, from r134, is about hating a woman, not critiquing and actor: "LD is hideous to look at." That's John Simon calling Liza Minnelli "liver lips." Dunham is not hideous to look at. And even if you think so, well, that's a subjective call, isn't it? Your idea of what's beautiful is not something on which to base a critique of a TV character.

The link is to Dunham on Letterman looking perfectly cute - skip to 1:10 for a full-face shot. She's cute. She makes Hannah look hang-doggy ON PURPOSE.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 15704/06/2013

If Lena Dunham had sex with Aretha Franklin at her heaviest, who would be on top?

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 15804/06/2013

The post @r134 sounds like it was written from a woman's point of view. Would you swallow your acid pocked tongue if the poster turned out to be a straight female, r152? I'd pay to see THAT.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 15904/06/2013

Hannah is quite an unlikable character. But I can relate to her in many ways. When I see Hannah doing all those selfish and annoying stuff it makes me feel uncomfortable then I realize "oh that's how people look at me".

Is that why all these very normal, happy and even popular people here dislike her?

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 16004/06/2013

I think Girls is a brilliant show that has captured the Zeitgeist of the moment. Inevitably, it will rub many people the wrong way. What genuinely puzzles me is why people who seem to hate the show so much and/or hate Lena Dunhan so much continue to watch it. Where do you find the time to hate-watch shows?

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 16104/06/2013

They probably don't even watch, R161. They've seen Lena, they have some awareness of her success, and they just attack.

Pitiful, jealous, spiteful creatures.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 16204/06/2013

Nothing to see here, just the next Nia Vardalos, folks.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 16304/06/2013

The typical critique of the show on DL is Lens is fat and ugly and hideous and she dares to get naked on her show and her parents are well connected (forgetting the fact that most people outside of NYC have no clue who her parents are). Only a few people on here look passed the superficial and really understand the story that she's trying to tell. Twenty something girls are obnoxious, stupid, self doubting, phobic, manic, confused messes, even the pretty ones. I'm sorry that her shedding a light on the awfulness of that period bothers some of you so much.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 16404/06/2013

He's on drugs. Most recent pic of him:

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 16504/06/2013

Hey, I look past the appearance thing. I just don't think the show is as wonderful as it's given credit for.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 16604/06/2013

Is he Ashkenazic?

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 16704/06/2013

Damn! He looks STRUNG THE FUCK OUT, R165. I bet it is a very druggy set. I keep waiting for a big star's nose to fall off from that illegal cattle wormer the US sent to South America that they're using to cut the coke.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 16804/06/2013

r159, I have said repeatedly that DL is full of gay men who hate themselves and women who love gay men who hate themselves. There are alas a lot of straight women who despise themselves as women, and they are drawn to gay guys who despise women.

Lena Dunham's characters are no more or less self-absorbed than any other comic characters. They are no more or less self-absorbed than anyone in HANNAH AND HER SISTERS, and my guess is that Dunham's naming her character Hannah is a hat tip to Woody Allen.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 16904/06/2013

Too bad Girls can't be like Datalounge - full of likeable characters!

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 17004/06/2013

Bingo, R164. It's so weird that hate she garners here.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 17104/06/2013

If someone wrote a show about thirty something gay men, it would probably play a lot like Girls.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 17204/06/2013

You can either do things exactly as I say or you can leave. That's your choice.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 17304/06/2013

[quote] I have said repeatedly that DL is full of gay men who hate themselves and women who love gay men who hate themselves. There are alas a lot of straight women who despise themselves as women, and they are drawn to gay guys who despise women.

And there are an equal to better number of gay men and gay/straight women here who love themselves more than anything ever or henceforth.

Doesn't matter—the show is grossly overrated and so is Dunham's "artistry" and "bravery." No matter how you slice the DL's demographic.

But keep on playing the gender card to try and shut down any criticism of the show or Ms. Dunham. People here aren't that stupid.

The most sophisticated defense of the show's purported brilliance that's been offered here is that it "captures the zeitgeist."

Yeah, well, so did my morning shit.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 17404/06/2013

Before or after you ate it, R174.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 17504/06/2013

Let's keep poking it with a stick. Maybe if we're lucky we'll get another hilarious meltdown like R153.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 17704/06/2013

I thought, for instance, that the episode where Hannah spends the day and night with the Patrick Wilson guy was nicely written and honest and true.

The set-up was a nice riff on "meeting cute": the barista, hipster daughter of yuppie parents, but toiling at a meaningless job for an hourly wage, puts her garbage in a yuppie doctor's garbage cans outside his nice huge beautifully renovated townhouse down the block from the hipster coffee shop.

He complains about the garbage; she goes to his house to apologize; they end up having a romantic interlude that ends with her acting like a kid and his realizing she's a kid and in the morning he's gone and she leaves the house alone with a bag of his garbage, which she dumps in his cans.

It had a neat shape, it was a slice-of-life, it addressed issues of loneliness and isolation without getting maudlin about them, and Wilson made you believe he'd want her, and it was clear she wanted him.

I thought it was a great little one-act play, not the kind of thing you normally see on TV.

You all hated it. You all can't get past her dressing sloppily and having breasts that are not perfect little sculpted things that would fit exactly into a champagne glass - some French guy told me once that the perfect size of a woman's breast was that it'd fit into a champagne glass, which, now that I think about it, is kind of scary, depending on what you mean by "champagne glass!"

But some of you just come right out and say, "Dunham is hideous, she's ugly." As if it were a fact. As if it mattered. As if everyone agreed.

I think she's cute. Not that it matters.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 17804/06/2013

r169's post was exhausting to read. I have to go back to bed now.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 17904/06/2013

No, we didn't all hate it, R178. I loved it, actually.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 18004/06/2013

[quote]Patrick Wilson was the tipping point. Would. Never. Happen

Yet you could publish a book compiled of DL threads about hot straight guys and their fugly wives...

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 18104/06/2013

[quote]The Hannah/Lena character IS NOT portrayed as beautiful, or even very likeable, on the show.

Yeah, I don't get that complaint. She goes out of her way to make Hannah unattractive physically and emotionally.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 18204/06/2013

Yep, she keeps it real, R182.

We complain endlessly about how fake shit is out there, but when someone ventures a real (and sometimes ugly) portrayal of a human being, we have a fit.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 18304/06/2013

She writes Hannah as unattractive and annoying as possible, while EVERY male who comes in contact with her, including the GAY one, finds her brilliant, irresistable, beautiful, fascinating and sexually appealing. Not to mention they would all run out in traffic and DIE rather than be without her. Yeah, she's keeping it REAL allright. Wait for it....... she's Sookie Stackhouse!

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 18404/06/2013

R184, that just isn't true. Adam used her for the entire first season. Used her for nasty sex. She didn't really like it, but she knew he was as good as she was going to get. And as is actually often the case in real life, sometimes the person who has all the power in the beginning of a "relationship" (in this case Adam), eventually loses it to the other person (Lena). Not to mention, Adam is sort of emotionally disturbed, not exactly a dreamboat. No one has found her incredibly beautiful, brilliant, etc. A few have found her interesting, and Hannah is interesting.

Are you guys watching the show?

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 18504/06/2013

Adam is too hot for her and would never give her a second look, much less use her for any kind of sex.

That dude would be a god around Williamsburg and have an endless supply of much-hotter girls to do whatever he wanted with.

(Sad, perhaps, but true.)

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 18604/06/2013

Has R184 even watched the show?

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 18704/06/2013

I fucking adore this show. Could care less why anyone says at this point. Only weak link is that chick who plays Shoshanna. An even she on occasion is alright.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 18804/06/2013

Yes, R187, because that's exactly what happens!

But you are clearly too blinded by your own millennial-girl delusions to see it.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 18904/06/2013

Yes, I have watched the show. (rolls eyes)

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 19004/06/2013

R186 is right.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 19104/06/2013

Would a guy really(or anyone for that matter) come to Hannah's aid when she was having her breakdown? Has anyone experienced that? I can't imagine someone doing that for me, i.e. noticing I'm falling apart and rush over to help me out. He really was what she needed right at the moment in time.

I had a rough patch a few months ago (death in family, job loss, cancer scare), and my bf told me to hang in there and then he'd get upset with me because I was struggling and it bothered him. All I really wanted was a hug and someone to tell me everything would be okay.

So my question is whether or not Adam's response to her would be legit in the real world or only a rescue fantasy made possible by the writer.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 19204/06/2013

I get why people may have an issue with Carrie Bradshaw, I really do. Carrie Bradshaw lived a life that made absolutely no sense, in any way. I really think that many people dislike Hannah Horvath because that character makes them uncomfortable, for whatever reason, but mainly because her life does make sense and she reminds people of how stupid they are or used to be.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 19304/06/2013

Your post makes no sense, R189.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 19404/06/2013

R192? That's so sad for you. When I was in a bad place because of a failed business and the death of a parent, my then recent ex came over three or four times (after I'd over imbibed), put me to bed and slept next to me. A few months later, when he was going through horrible dental pain, I spent the night with him and kept him company as he agonized in pain.

It happens.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 19504/06/2013

Adam Driver plays a guy who possibly has Asperger's; he hangs alone in his room all day banging sticks together; he doesn't appear to have friends; he goes to AA once in a while where a crazy mom talks him into going on a date with her hot daughter, and: this was a story line that didn't quite work, because the hot daughter wasn't particularized, she was there only in order to give Adam a temporary-new-girlfriend, and it wasn't clear why she'd like him.

It IS however clear why Hannah likes him: Because he's a fucking OCD weirdo, and so is she. Hannah is both attracted to him and repelled by him, and that's one of the features of their interest in each other: attraction/revulsion.

Maybe YOU have never had a relationship like that, but I think it's really common, and it doesn't show up on TV so much: that you get involved with someone who kind of creeps you out, and your ambivalence about that person doesn't really go away, except: you yourself are such a fucked-up weirdo that just in the moment when you feel that you can do better than the creepy/attractive person, you have a little breakdown that reveals to you that you can never do better than the creepy/attractive guy you feel ambivalent about.

Most relationships in real life are NOT in the dreamy-you're-so-hot-we-want-each-other mode. A lot of relationships are saturated in ambivalence.

The David Mamet daughter person and her older boyfriend: another saturated-in-ambivalence relationship.

The relationship that is the most tedious and unreal, in fact, is the one that is, thank gosh, apparently going away, because that Chris dude will now be gone. And those two characters, him & Marnie, were "the hot ones," and they were also the boring ones.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 19604/06/2013

When I read posts like the ones at R196/R195/R187/R183, I can almost hear the condescending vocal fry and see beady eyes peering down a nose through hipster glasses, as an overhead thought bubble fills with images from gender-studies class at Wesleyan, then pops in a fit of RAGE THAT I CAN'T TWIST REALITY INTO MY PREFERRED SHAPE SOLELY WITH THE POWER OF MY MILLENNIAL-GIRL DELUSION!

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 19704/06/2013

r197, you hate women, get therapy.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 19804/06/2013

Adam is "hot"?? Since when??

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 19904/06/2013

[quote]Adam is too hot for her

This guy?!?

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 20004/06/2013

More Adam, looking hideous

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 20204/06/2013

More of the so-not-hot Adam

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 20304/06/2013

Yes, he does look gorgeous in that photoshopped GQ cover that looks absolutely nothing like him. The guy is ass ugly.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 20404/06/2013

Has it ever been established what the fuck Adam Driver's character does all day except "bang sticks" and come up with the weirdest dirty talk I've ever heard of.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 20504/06/2013

Lens Dunham is a vile cunt. He's lucky to be rid of her.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 20604/06/2013

r206 demonstrates once again that Datalounge is a misogynist space.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 20704/06/2013

So why are you here, R207? If you don't like DL there are plenty of other places you can go. You aren't changing any minds. You just keep vomiting the the same tired rant: "If you don't like Lena then you must be self loathing. Get help, get therapy, you all hate women.....waaaaaaaaah." Enough already. Why don't you gather up your barbies and run along home.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 20804/06/2013

I don't disagree that the misogyny is brutal, but do we have to duke it out in the form of Lena Dunham and GIRLS? Neither have ultimately done much to advance gender equality.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 21004/06/2013

Oh for fuck's sake..it's because the chick is not attractive, do you get that misogyny troll? If it were Jonah Hill in a male version of this, the same shit would be said. Ugly and not slim, two things you don't want to be here.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 21104/06/2013

I liked the misogyny nazi better when she flew in on her broom occasionally to firebomb threads with some cut and paste rant and then left just as quickly. **sigh** Those were the days.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 21204/06/2013

Of course it's easier to think there's only one "misogny nazi" and not the rest of the healthy, rational world that rejects your pathology.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 21304/06/2013

Jesus, r214, that was a pretty fucking mean thing to say to r210. Especially since he agrees about misogyny, what is your personal stake in making sure we all like Girls? And may I say again that if it was an unattractive dude taking his shirt off people would be saying the same this, see the Dean Winters thread (and he is cute).

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 21504/06/2013

I'm not trying to be mean, R214. I'm being frank with you. You're mentally ill and very likely too cruel-hearted to properly assess the empowerment of anything or anyone.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 21604/06/2013

I'm pretty sure he's on drugs.

He's been walking around looking homeless lately.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 21804/06/2013

Lens Dunham sucks.

Next, please.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 22004/06/2013

It happens to a lot of young actors.

They get a good gig. Start making money. Start wanting to spend that money. Drugs gets a lot of good people.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 22104/06/2013

R219, The problem is that you're pushing an argument using Lena Dunham and GIRLS, which is rather odd and (in my opinion) unproductive--possibly counterproductive. It's an angle from which you will never accomplish anything.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 22204/06/2013

R223 sounds fat.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 22404/06/2013

LOL, Sorry, I must continue. R222, you keep condensing your hate for the hate into something that is specific to Dunham and Girls. Is it intelligent to base one's opinion of a show or famous person based on how they look? Of course it isn't. It's dumb. But you can't and shouldn't stop anyone from spewing whatever they want about public consumer goods and get them to like a show you like. You're no better if you try this tactic.

You might not realize you're being this way, but you are. Write all you want about misogyny in gay and straight men alike, as it's something that's always important to discuss. But it comes across that you think Dunham and Girls are good examples to support your position(s). They aren't, and they never will be.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 22504/06/2013

Whoops, I meant R223.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 22604/06/2013

There are a few Lens Dunham threads where she gets shredded. People who want to espouse her greatness (or not) should check them out. Let's talk about this kid. He's not that cute and there are a million young actors where he came from that are hungry and will easily take his place. He fucked up and we all know it. Yeah, it sucks having shitty bosses but we all do and for far less money and perks. We'll see where he is after the illustrious Bearosaur premiere. He'll be sorry.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 22704/06/2013

Thanks for your response, R195.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 22804/06/2013

Is he on drugs???? He looked cute in the new season, but that was filmed a long time ago and he looks AWFUL now. Long great air, unkempt facial hair. His skin looks gross. He looks bloated in the face but weirdly skinny in the body. He walks around in clothes with holes in them.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 22904/06/2013

Oh lawd

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 23304/07/2013

I don't disagree that misogyny is alive and well everywhere and that women are not treated as well as men. But this is a gossip board. I would normally not discuss these people period, like I would never watch ET or any show like that. At this site people are going to be vapid and shallow, at least they are about HBO shows. If it were Joyce Carol Oates being discussed and people were mentioning her looks, that would be annoying and call for someone to be checked, as it were. Lens is not JCO, she is in a visual medium and people are reacting to the things she wants them to react to. Trust me, as she has addressed this on Howard Stern's show among other places, I doubt she much cares if people think she's fat or gross. She's getting paid either way. Also, I stuck up for her, it's her show and if he wants to leave she won't be the one to suffer. I don't watch her show anymore and find her "in your face" shtick to be tired but I don't hate her. Good for her, she's rich while not the ideal beauty. I hope she is happy too. You have to choose which hill to die on, I wouldn't choose this one.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 23404/07/2013

Ever since someone said she looked like Little Critter I can't unsee it.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 23504/07/2013

Christ on the cross AKA r230, 231 and 232, why are you here? If you really believe that to be true then this should be the last place you'd want to hang your hat. Move on or shut up. If I wanted to be preached to I'd join a church.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 23604/07/2013

You know R236, I hate the "misogyny" cry whenever a woman gets judged harshly. It reeks of some Sarah Lawrence boundary obsessed post post post feminist. Too collegiate for me.

I'm a gay guy, who loves women, but feels both sexes can and should be either praised or criticized based on a plethora of constructs from talent to compassion. As long as the critique is fair and legitimate, honest and intelligent, I'm all for it. The vast majority of Lena haters on the DL are none of those constructs. I don't know whether or not they're misogynists. But most are rather insipid and lack insight for sure.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 23804/07/2013

Lena Dunham is the Oprah of her generation.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 23904/07/2013

It doesn't matter whether you're right or wrong, REverything. You're DOING it wrong. Hopefully you're a troll, because (as we've already mentioned) you sure don't seem to know how to assert your supposedly good intentions, starting with asserting them in a thread like this.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 24104/07/2013

R242. But when you "step in and fight on behalf of Dunham," specifically, a few issues pop up. Not only is comment on Dunham's appearance not your battle to fight, but when you take it upon yourself to basically assert censorship thereof, you might as well ask to erode your own free speech.

Grotesque and specific comment about people's physiques in entertainment is nothing new. It was happening at the time of vaudeville, and I'm sure even earlier. **That doesn't make it right.** But unless someone threatens to physically harm Dunham, your will to reduce misogynistic speech by spring-boarding from this topic is very, very foolish. In fact, it's foolish regardless. If you really cared about it, you would find another avenue. YOU seem equally shallow, for thinking this is the way.

And I'm not trying to dismiss you just so that gay men can hiss about Dunham's appearance. I have never (NEVER) criticized her body or used it as a cop-out criticism of her show, and it annoys me when people do, because it's illogical. But you want to extinguish mean and/or shallow comments about the appearances of public figures? You'll be sorry.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 24304/07/2013

R244, If I was talking about an irrelevant point to yours, it must be because you've done a poor job of making your point clear.

So you've isolated it to "DL promotes and encourages hatred and contempt of women."

Good.

Then I'll repeat myself: don't try to change this by using Lena Dunham or GIRLS as examples.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 24504/07/2013

R240? Moron. I'm on your side. I appreciate and like Lena Dunham. I love most eps of Girls. My point was that I don't know whether or not the haters on the DL are misogynists or not, but I do know they're idiots who don't know how to critique a television star.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 24604/07/2013

This is why I am confused that someone would make this the hill to die on. Really? For Dunham? I see things that irritate me everyday, I am not going to make the tipping point be some woman who I don't and probably never will know and who seems pretty content as is. There are women being beaten, as you said earlier, and raped and abused. Lens is not one of them. Go volunteer at a woman's shelter, donate money for a woman to go to Michfest. Trying to sway someone on this point will probably not be a fruitful endeavor. I also think that people dislike her for her youth too, that also can't be changed and isn't subject to gender.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 24704/07/2013

lmao i'm glad my little critter comment has resonated with you all

chris does not look like he's on drugs, he just looks like he's going through a whitman phase

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 24804/07/2013

I'm not disagreeing with you on that, R249. In a number conversations, it would seem true.

But you are the slow one. You realize not that the approach of your claimed "mission" DOES matter. And in this case, your choice (and wording) speaks volumes about your own lack of insight.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 25004/07/2013

r250, I appreciate your trying so sweetly to educate me! Maybe I'll learn how to talk proper and not drop my aitches! But you're dreaming if you don't think that every DL thread about anything related to Lena Dunham's GIRLS isn't just an excuse for DL posters to say vile things about women. Read this thread, dude.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 25104/07/2013

But why r251? This is an anonymous board where people say whatever they want with impunity. Why would they attack Lena as the symbol of all women? Go to the Jodi Arias thread, read where people say things like, "stupid cunts always murder men and get away with it." Get mad about that, I did. The Lena thing is odd. Are you from her camp somehow? I don't think this thread is any code. Op probably doesn't like Lena and was spoiling for people to commiserate but it was nothing blatant about how sucky she is, that just came up. I have tried to steer it back to how dumb the dude is to leave but now it keeps getting derailed again.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 25204/07/2013

[quote]Maybe I'll learn how to talk proper and not drop my aitches! That is ridiculous.

Secondly, you're dreaming if you think you can affect change by condemning the various excuses, especially ones of a modern commercial entertainment nature, that men use to demean women.

Dig much deeper. Then get a blog.

I actually disagree, R248. Drugs. But then again, they're done by the vast majority of actors.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 25304/07/2013

all women are cunts and should be exterminated.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 25404/07/2013

r251....you sound like a smelly cunt

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 25504/07/2013

Why don't you find another web site r256 since DL apparently upsets you so. I think your life would be happier if you weren't constantly annoyed by DL.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 25704/07/2013

R258 et al, how do you explain your attack on me when I have said, over and over and over, how much I like Lena and GIRLS?

Maybe you merely misread my post?

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 25804/07/2013

I wasn't a misogynist until this shrieking harridan showed up. Now I am.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 25904/07/2013

R172, HBO has something like this in development. Can't remember the name attached. Coming soon.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 26104/07/2013

I wish we could actually discuss Girls episode by episode somewhere here for people who actually enjoy the show somewhat. I love the show and do not understand the hatred. Enlightened was absolutely brilliant as well, but is done now. Even in the Girls thread, everyone here hates the show and just says how awful it is from start to finish.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 26204/07/2013

A fawning article in The Hollywood Reporter referred to Dunham as a 'size 8'. I'm sorry, but no. There is simply NO WAY that schlubby chick is a size 8 unless she is 5 feet tall.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 26304/07/2013

DL is not the place to come to cape for Lena Dunham. In fact, I can't understand why anyone would come here expecting good things to be said about any celebrity male or female.

Everything said so far is typical commentary on looks and appearance and the same treatment that most celebs get on here and all over the internet. I'm not saying it's right, as it's pretty much online bullying, but it's almost a given in the entertainment industry to be judged on your looks. Lena Dunham is average looking. not ugly but slightly frumpy but she's definitely talented and that should be what matters most. Of course, her being a woman opens her up for more criticism about all things visual.

I can't say much about the quality of her show. I saw a few of season one's episode and didn't understand the hype but it wasn't awful, I found myself laughing at some stuff. Personally, I think the ironic funny yet nervous and jittery and also average looking white girl has been done to death in this decade of TV history. I guess I didn't get that the characters are supposed to be astonishingly awkward and normal floundering 20 year olds. I also don't find myself relating to the show but then again I'm not white nor do I live in NYC and thus it's not my reality.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 26404/07/2013

Well, R264, if you don't relate to, care about and LOVE all things Lena Dunham then you are a self loathing 20somethingwoman.

YOUR MISOGYNY IS KILLING US!!!

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 26504/07/2013

Le-na Dun-ham Le-na Dun-ham Le-na Dun-ham...

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 26604/07/2013

The 2nd season was actually quite dark, and actually at the same time, funnier. I like the development of the characters quite honestly. Adam Driver and Jemima Kirk were the standouts for me. And everyone said how Hannah's OCD seemed ridiculous, but that was totally autobiographical of Lena's life- she actually had serious OCD issues.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 26704/07/2013

When someone is picked by Hollywood as the "voice of the generation", they'll have a successful career, a la Diablo Cody.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 26804/07/2013

Lena Dunham's breasts like tar Lena Dunham's gone too far! Lena Dunham kills all dreams Lena Dunham's shark teeth gleam...

Lena Dunham smells like cheese Lena Dunham's on her knees Lena Dunham's Ewok ass! Lena Dunham, born with FAS...

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 26904/07/2013

This show is really good , but the last episode of season 2 was laughably bad. Adam racing through the streets to save Hannah from turning her head compulsively while on FaceTime seemed like a parody.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 27004/07/2013

I agree 270. I actually liked the episode, but that ending DID seem like a parody, and the over the top background music. It didn't even seem like it was from the same show! Hannah's voicemail to Jessa was funny as hell though.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 27104/07/2013

My guess is that Abbot showing up to set looking like a homeless drug addict when his character is supposed to running a successful business is where the butting heads started.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 27204/07/2013

Weirdly datalounge and feminists are on the same side with this one. I've seen posts from feminists concerned that Dunham exploits her privilege, portrays a whites-only New York and shows a lack of awareness on her twitter, making jokes about burkas etc.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 27304/07/2013

I think Lena Dunham writing about the world she knows is far less offensive than, say, the white chick who wrote The Help.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 27404/07/2013

I am a fat chick in her 40's. I am definitely fat. There have been times when i've starved myself down a bit, but never anywhere close to the cultural ideal. I've been fat my whole life. I don't really care anymore if it's my fault or biology. I just do what I can in terms of eating good foods and exercising. I don't expect to ever be thin or even normal but my health has always been good and remains so.

I have a pretty face and hair. I am naturally a nice person too and years of being treated poorly have taught me even more empathy. I lived in NY for 20 years and slept with many very attractive men. They all wanted me, either for stress free sex or because they really did like me. I knew the difference too. I knew who really liked me and I wasn't fooled. Of the ones who really liked me, most of them did not want to be my boyfriend because they were too chicken to go out with a fat chick. But most of these guys were really lonely inside and appreciated the chance to really relax with somebody and not worry about proving anything.

Now I'm married. He's attractive and marches to his own drummer. He really doesn't care about norms and he's been attracted to a wide variety of women in his life, fat and thin. We click in every way, intellectually and sexually and we consider ourselves lucky.

I can't tell you how many of the attractive men from my past treat me like "the one who got away". Things have not worked out so well with all the hot girls over the years and now these men are aging and still lonely. It's not that the hot girls and guys are bad people, it's just that they absorbed some negative values that don't lead to successful relationships. I never had a choice but to develop other values if I wanted to live without killing myself.

I wish everyone would stop absorbing the values spread by popular media and would just be themselves. I wish that so much value weren't placed on attractiveness. I know that people don't have to be so lonely when they don't have to be. Remember when you were a tiny kid and you just liked who you liked because they made you laugh or they made you feel good?

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 27504/07/2013

I wish you and I could be friends in real life, R275. You seem really cool.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 27604/07/2013

Great post, R275.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 27704/07/2013

[quote]portrays a whites-only New York

This is the one critique the really bothers me. Because, quite frankly, even though we're all supposed to be post racial and everything, the fact is white people tend to have mostly white friends and black people tend to have mostly black friends. Even though NYC is a big melting pot, the truth is you go to a party and you'll see one or two black people, definitely a couple of Asians, but mostly white people. Go to certain places in NYC and your going to see mostly white people hanging out together. I don't think it's racist or bigoted, it's just that people tend to group together.

Only on TV and movies are you supposed to show this world that doesn't exist. Have you ever watched a TV show and there was a black character and you wondered, why is there a black character with these hipster white kids?

I've been to Brooklyn. Lena's portrayal of Brooklyn, for her world, wasn't that far off.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 27804/07/2013

Plus, she's had non-white characters on her show. Donald Glover played her boyfriend for a few episodes, even.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 27904/07/2013

Hello, but isn't it obvious that she sent out signals that she wanted his dick, he rebuffed her and lo and behold he is now fired.

He should have just sucked it up, snorted a line a coke and slept with the manatee.

P.S. Stephen Merritt is a musical god, trash like Dunham shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as him.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 28004/07/2013

Her show is completely unwatchable now.

The writing of season 2 is utterly dreadful and probably the primary reason so few episodes were shot.

It's a show full of cliches, caricatures but has minimal character or plot development.

I'm surprised Abbott is the only actor running for the exits.

I feel second-hand embarrassment for the cast who have to act out such shitty writing.

Please tell me they didn't get an Emmy for this crap.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 28304/07/2013

Wasn't he in Terminator 2, one of the worst movies ever? And he's having character issues with "GIRLS"?!?

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 28404/07/2013

Could you imagine the shade that Bea Arthur would get on here if Maude premiered last year on HBO. Like all message boards Datalounge hates, but DL hates not attractive and/or overweight with the white hot intensity of 12 burning suns. You make that not attractive and/or overweight character a woman and you're at defcon 2 on the hate meter. Add black and you're at defcon 1.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 28504/07/2013

R285, Don't mind black at all or Bea for that matter. But Lena Dunham is a fat ugly cunt.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 28604/07/2013

I have no idea how "GIRLS" got on such a great network like HBO, I really don't. It really irks me. HBO needs to cancel this shit asap and pretend it never happened before they risk becoming a third-rate network by continuing to promote this crap and calling it a 'masterpiece'.

This a slap in the face to the legacy of other legendary ground-breaking shows of HBO like "The sopranos" or my personal favourite "Six feet under".

This show is like a bad acid trip.

Really bad acid trip.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 28704/07/2013

R278 this is generally based on social strata and environment/exposure, not skin color, but it remains true. And for blacks, it can also be about a history of being excluded and/or unwanted elsewhere, and not wanting to risk rejection. And yes, racism does sometimes come into play.

It *is* changing, but I would never hold it against Lena (or anyone else) for portraying it the way it usually is.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 28804/07/2013

[quote]The writing of season 2 is utterly dreadful and probably the primary reason so few episodes were shot.

There were 10 episodes in both seasons.

But it's interesting people complain about the writing in season 2, since Dunham actually wrote less on season 2, whereas in season 1 she at least co-wrote every episode.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 28904/07/2013

"Who do you blame when your kid is a BRAT / Pampered and spoiled like a Siamese CAT / Blaming the kids is a lie and a SHAME / You know exactly who's to BLAME / The mother and the father..."

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 29004/07/2013

r275 - I would LOVE to watch a movie based around your post. Thanks for sharing.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 29104/07/2013

"But Lena Dunham is a fat ugly cunt."

Really makes me wonder what kind of a loser anyone saying that is in real life.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 29204/07/2013

But your point would be put to so much better use--actually any use at all--on a different subject, R293.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 29404/07/2013

I agree R292.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 29504/07/2013

I watched the last three episodes of Season 2 last night with a friend who was catching up on the season. The final scene in the finale plays better when you know it's coming; it was just such a surprising place to go but the show is compressed and there might have been some attention paid to ending it with some finality should it not be renewed. My friend said immediately, "It's come full circle."

The writing is hilarious. The oft-mentioned phone call to Jessa, any scene that has her parents in it. I loved it when her book editor says, "What's happened to the pudgy face streaked with sadness and semen?"

Typical dim-witted, one-dimensional DL fails to engage with the joke. Lena Dunham knows exactly what she's doing. She certainly doesn't need any creative input from this narrow-minded board. There are just some places DL refuses to go - like any place that requires self-reflection. How it must terrify you.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 29604/08/2013

R293 has resorted to stamping her little feet.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 29704/08/2013

Wonderful post, r275.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 29804/08/2013

No, R296. It doesn't terrify me. I simply have criticisms of the show and its hype.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 29904/08/2013

I wonder if R296 threatened her friend at gunpoint to watch it with her. It must be required viewing for anyone she comes in contact with.....OR ELSE.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 30004/08/2013

Aaaaand just by this thread it's obvious nobody will miss Christopher Abbott. Altho this is the only way I would have learned his actual name.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 30104/08/2013

Who r284? Abbott was 5 when Terminator 2 was made, no he wasn't in it, or any of the other Terminator movies. And Terminator 2 isn't one of the worst movies ever just because you don't happen to like it. It was a big hit and gets a 98% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 30204/08/2013

That outfit she wore in the Patrick Wilson episode was the worst EVER! What was she thinking?

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 30304/08/2013

I'd actually love more gossip about what exactly happened on the set and between Christopher Abbot and Lena Dunham. Since he's like a third string supporting character, what exactly made him balk about his storyline? Is Lena crazy? Is the set a mess?

Seems like radio silence since the story broke. No leaks, no gossip.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 30404/08/2013

He's mostly foolish for quitting work no matter how you slice it, but reliable word is that LD is not liked by many people who work with or for her. The entertainment industry's most advanced ass-kissers, who have known nothing other than professional ass-kissing for years, probably work well with her, as they don't know up from down or left from right; they only know "IN." That's not supposed to be a smug statement, that's just the way it is.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 30604/08/2013

For what it's worth, R307, while you raise a legitimate point, that point has been discussed and dismissed by a woman who has happened to meet and then work with her. Just a tidbit.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 30804/08/2013

It's weird, this story isn't even mentioned on Deadline.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 30904/08/2013

No need to be juvenile, R310. I never said that. If it came from a source that sounded catty, I wouldn't even have brought it up. Dunham is younger, and she's bound to not have much management experience, so I don't personally judge anything that might be the result of that cause. And I'm not going to make or break her career, so what does it matter? To elaborate, there are other (older) female execs who also own their workspaces very authoritatively and work their employees very hard, yet their employees generally love them (Tina Fey was actually an example given).

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 31104/08/2013

Its clear he's on drugs. The question is: what kind of drugs?

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 31204/08/2013

The kind that left me up for days, thinking I am superman and quitting my job..fuck, my head is killing me, I need some sleep.. I wonder if Lena will take me back if I apologize? I guess I shouldn't have listened to Megan's career advice when she and Brian and I hung out last month.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 31304/08/2013

Her 15 minutes are almost up.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 31404/08/2013

Does she even post anywhere else r315? I have told her several times to go troll another thread where there may actually be misogyny and lecture them but she is pretty married to getting us all to agree that Lens is a ravishing beauty and Girls is better than a cure for cancer.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 31604/08/2013

The "Dunham troll," as you call her, is me, and I am a guy.

I am a guy.

I am a guy.

I am a guy.

It is evidence of DL's misogyny that it would not occur to any of you that a man would object to your vicious misogyny.

But I object.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 31704/08/2013

Once again, I'm a card-carrying guy.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 31904/08/2013

Whatever you have between your legs, R317/R319, you are hysterical, tedious and WRONG.

Now be gone.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 32004/08/2013

R316, don't forget that she's also the new Woody Allen. So brilliant and talented her wit and insight goes right over our heads. She's......"the voice of a generation."

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 32104/08/2013

One reason queer teens are driven to suicide is because of our culture's overall contempt for women.

You contribute to it on Datalounge.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 32204/08/2013

If you're a gay guy, R319, why aren't you commenting on any of the other threads?

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 32304/08/2013

r232, that's an odd question. I'm not sure it makes much sense, not unlike you.

I comment on plenty of other threads.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 32404/08/2013

Forget gay teens, I wish someone would drive this troll to suicide.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 32504/09/2013

[quote]or get Patrick Wilson naked without begging him or holding a gun to his head,

Dumham held money to his head, that's how she got him naked. He didn't just get naked because he liked her or wanted to be with her, idiot.

[quote]Dunham has gotten more flack for her physical appearance than any TV star I can think of.

Then you're not thinking much at all. But then, we knew that. Are you blind, or have you not read all the dishing of Eric Stonestreet and "his looks"? Or his onscreen partner, Jesse Tyler Ferguson? Gay men get trashed here all the time. True divas, however - not pretenders to the throne like Dunham - are adored ad nauseam.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 32604/09/2013

He was the only eye candy on the show.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 32706/11/2013

The reason that Lena is so polarizing is that she embodies the attitudes of her generation that drive older people nuts, such as "you can never criticize me." Millennials have an innate sense of self-esteem, nurtured by their parents and educational system that clashes with the values that older people have grown up with. How can you like yourself if you're 20 pounds overweight? How can you call yourself beautiful? These people don't feel shame about anything, such as accepting parental handouts at age 25 or being offended when work involves drudgery. If you suggest that a see-through blouse isn't apropos for a job interview and that it invites unwelcome attention, you are slut shaming. Narcissism to this generation is like water to a fish--they don't see it but it's apparent to those were brought up with different values. I'm not condemning or criticizing this generation. I'm a baby boomer who teaches college so I'm exposed to these attitudes constantly. The only permissible criticism is constructive criticism and it must be accompanied by praise. At heart, these are very fragile people. There's also a huge creative class that is lugging around enormous loans and which has unrealistic expectations of success because no one's ever been straight about their lack of talent but that's not a reality this show gets into.

I'm shocked at all the insulting personal comments that are directed to those who aren't fans. They're just as vitriolic and devastating as the "Hannah is a pig" comments but they're much more personal. I think it's this generational factor kicking in: If you insult Lena Dunham, you're insulting me and my values so you must die. It's quite excessive.

by Lena Dunham = power crazedreply 32806/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.