Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Legacy admits....are the over?

I know someone whose parents both went to University of Pennsylvania. She didn't get in. She's going to Tulane.....I'm sort of shocked. (not that I endorse legacy admits but I thought that was the world we live in.)

by Anonymousreply 1504/05/2013

oops make that "are they over!"

by Anonymousreply 104/03/2013

I didn't get into my parents alma mater back in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 204/03/2013

A million dollar donation is just about the minimum required these days to ensure instantaneous admission.

by Anonymousreply 304/03/2013

Some schools realized their reputations suffered when they allowed underqualified "legacies" to be admitted.

by Anonymousreply 404/03/2013

No they are far from over.

by Anonymousreply 504/04/2013

But they are over for parents who haven't made any effort to keep up with the school.

by Anonymousreply 604/04/2013

Legacy fundraising will be much more challenging in the years to come with the cost of tuition skyrocketing. Students graduating with $100k in debt for their $200k education are not going to be inclined to fork over even MORE money in the future---no matter how successful they become.

My son is in college now @ $40k per year, and I get inundated with solicitation for the "Parents Fund." I laugh like a hyena when I get that shit in the mail and promptly throw it in the trash.

by Anonymousreply 704/04/2013

good for you r7...when my school calls I always want to quote ain't gettin 88 cents out of me Rose!

(plus if I had a kid I'd want him to go somewhere else)

by Anonymousreply 804/04/2013

That's so rich it has to be fattening. I'd be embarrassed to go to Tulane.

by Anonymousreply 904/04/2013

You get extra points for being a legacy, but nowhere is it an automatic admit unless your parents are serious donors.

btw, OP: one anecdote from your personal experience does not make a trend.

by Anonymousreply 1104/04/2013

[quote]btw, OP: one anecdote from your personal experience does not make a trend.

well smell you bitch!!!

by Anonymousreply 1204/04/2013

OP, sadly it is true. I thought my son would surely be admitted to my alma mater, Santa Monica Junior College, particularly because of all the help I had given the institution in raising money.

Car washes, bake sales, nothing was too big for me to contribute to. And when I think of all of the only slightly stained mattresses I donated, it still angers me.

by Anonymousreply 1304/05/2013

I don't think they are over, but they aren't as easy as they use to be. Both of my parents were legacies and went to Northwesern and donated money every year, I don't know how much but I'm sure it wasn't the great huge amounts that other people might have. I had very good grades and high SAT and ACT scores, but not a lot of the other stuff that colleges want to see on the applications. I applied to Northwestern (because my parents wanted me to) as well as several other schools, mostly because I wanted to go to school somewhere other than Northwestern so I wouldn't have to come home every night. Northwestern was the only school I was accepted to. Two years later my brother was applying to schools, tho he didn't have good grades or good SAT or ACT scores, and he was accepted to Northwestern, tho I found out later that my parents had made a pretty big donation right before he applied because they were sure he wasn't getting in otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 1404/05/2013

They weren't always easy. Most legacies were turned down at Harvard even thirty years ago.

by Anonymousreply 1504/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!