Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jeremy Irons on Gay Marriage: "Could a Father Not Marry His Son?"

Academy Award winning actor Jeremy Irons said Wednesday that while he doesn't have much of a strong opinion either way on same-sex marriage, he believes it poses interesting questions, including whether allowing same-sex marriage would open the door for interfamilial relationships.

"Could a father not marry his son?" Irons asked HuffPost Live host Josh Zepps. Irons argued that "it's not incest between men" because "incest is there to protect us from inbreeding, but men don't breed," and wondered whether same-sex marriage might allow fathers to pass on their estates to their sons without being taxed.

"It seems to me that now they're fighting for the name," Irons said of advocates for same-sex marriage as opposed to civil unions. "I worry that it means somehow we debase, or we change, what marriage is. I just worry about that."

Irons reiterated that he "[doesn't] have a strong feeling either way" on same-sex marriage, and said that he "[wishes] everybody who's living with one other person the best of luck in the world, because it's fantastic."

"Living with another animal, whether it be a husband or a dog, is great," he said. "It's lovely to have someone to love. I don't think sex matters at all. What it's called doesn't matter at all."

Irons also blasted New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg over the proposed restrictions on soda, describing himself as a "complete libertarian" and likening Bloomberg's policies to a "nanny state."

by Anonymousreply 8904/04/2013

He sounds exactly like my father.

by Anonymousreply 104/03/2013

[quote]Irons argued that "it's not incest between men" because "incest is there to protect us from inbreeding, but men don't breed,"

Then all we need is a condom and we can fuck our sisters? Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 204/03/2013

I didn't know he was so stupid.

by Anonymousreply 304/03/2013

Can twin gynecologists marry each other?

by Anonymousreply 504/03/2013

Damn, I wish I hadn't read that. I used to respect him. What a stupid thing to say.

by Anonymousreply 604/03/2013

How could you, Charles?

by Anonymousreply 704/03/2013

r2 I've read similar comments on DL, especially from the incest trolls.

Jeremy Irons is a dimwit. I guess calling yourself a Libertarian is the new Conservative in Hollywood these days.

by Anonymousreply 804/03/2013

He sounds like a turd.

by Anonymousreply 904/03/2013

Dumb bunny. Where was his reverence for marriage when he was fucking all those women outside of his own marriage?

Hypocritical little fucker, isn't he?

by Anonymousreply 1004/03/2013

[quote]"I remember when my son was 12 and he was like a god. He just went through that sort of golden time for about 18 months. I don't have a daughter but they do the same. Parental love is sexual."

by Anonymousreply 1104/03/2013

OK then, R3. A vasectomy. My point is that incest is criminal not to protect "us" from inbreeding. That would assume we'd all be fucking our mothers and sisters if only it weren't illegal.

It's illegal because it invariably involves coercion and in any case causes psychological damage to minors.

by Anonymousreply 1204/03/2013

Meant r4

by Anonymousreply 1304/03/2013

Wow R11. It sounds like Mr. Irons has some urges he needs to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 1404/03/2013

[quote]"Living with another animal, whether it be a husband or a dog, is great," he said. "It's lovely to have someone to love

That's the analogy [italic][bold]I[/bold][/italic] always use! It's just like kissing your dog!

by Anonymousreply 1504/03/2013

I agree with my dear co-star Jeremy.

by Anonymousreply 1604/03/2013

[quote]"Could a Father Not Marry His Son?"

Of course! But there are probably other benefits too.

by Anonymousreply 1704/03/2013

R12, incest between siblings doesn't "invariably" involve coercion. Not taking a position, just looking for logical consistency.

And he's right about Bloomberg. You don't have to be a libertarian to call a Nanny State when you see one.

by Anonymousreply 1804/03/2013

When I was in college, I knew Cynthia Nixon (who was at the time working on Broadway in "The Real Thing") through a mutual close friend who was in my dorm (and who had gone to high school with her). We spent a little time together, during which our mutual friend asked her in front of me what working with Jeremy Irons was like. She said he was one of the most vain and pompous men she had ever met in her life, and that even though he was not the director of "The Real Thing" he would give all the other actors--including Glenn Close!!!--lengthy notes after the show, as if he were the director himself.

by Anonymousreply 1904/03/2013

Incest between siblings doesn't typically occur as a mutual attraction between consenting adults. It happens, I suppose, but far more likely an older brother is coercing a sister.

by Anonymousreply 2004/03/2013

My first thought exactly r11. Don't like this question coming from Irons. Don't like to hear anything from that guy.

by Anonymousreply 2104/03/2013

What's all this talk of inbreeding as if it's a bad thing. I'm perfectly normal and I'm proud of my pure blood.

by Anonymousreply 2204/03/2013

This man believes he's some sort of genius and philosopher. I think he's a good actor, sometimes, but I've never enjoyed his interviews. Always something dumb coming out of his mouth.

Isn't it pretty well known that he and his wife are in an open marriage? I don't know how open it is at this point, because who still wants to have sex with Jeremy Irons? Some TV presenter sued him a few years ago because she allegedly slipped and fell in his hotel suite. I also remember some story about how Carly Simon seduced him in the mid-80s and sought him out to direct one of her music videos. She supposedly aborted his child. My point is that this man is the last person who should care about changing the definition of marriage.

by Anonymousreply 2304/03/2013

lol @ R5

by Anonymousreply 2404/03/2013

Robert De Niro was intimidated by him when filming The Mission because Irons had no fears (like heights), and everything came very easily to him. They were like night and day according to the director of that movie.

It was very treacherous filming the Mission.

by Anonymousreply 2504/03/2013

He's an academy award winning actor? really? never heard of him.

by Anonymousreply 2604/03/2013

"What it's called doesn't matter at all." "

Accodring to him, it does. Which is why he seems to be opposed to calling it marriage.

by Anonymousreply 2704/03/2013

Has he always been such an asshole? Can a father marry his daughter if she's incapable of reproducing? Let us know, asswipe.

I can't believe how out of touch some people are and that they have no ability to discern like for like.

by Anonymousreply 2804/03/2013

Marriage should be between 1 Mother and 1 Son!

by Anonymousreply 2904/03/2013

Lots of people think that way, R27. Look at the French reaction, and it wasn't because of religion, just as I'M SURE religion doesn't factor into Iron's opinion.

by Anonymousreply 3004/03/2013

"I didn't know he was so stupid."

Yes, you did. You heard the horrendously stupid things he said about women, but most likely gave him a waiver.

by Anonymousreply 3104/03/2013

What is with these idiots and their warped realities? I cannot think of one gay friend that is considering dating his father - which is the same number of straight guys I know that are planning on marrying their mother.

by Anonymousreply 3204/03/2013

r31 what did he say about women?

by Anonymousreply 3304/03/2013

What a dimwit. I didn't realize he's so dumb.

by Anonymousreply 3404/03/2013

And that is the end of my having any interest in the theatrical stylings of Mr. "Equate Equal Marriage Rights for Same-Sex Partners with 'Nonexistent' Father/Son Incest" Irons.

Bloody, phony, nasty-minded, nasty-mouthed bastard. Not only did he blithely and pitilessly insult gay men, he insulted women by ignoring their part in the fight for equal rights AND he offended all male incest/sex abuse survivors.

by Anonymousreply 3504/03/2013

[r33]: I think there was a thread on here. Naturally, the resident DL misogynists were defending him.

by Anonymousreply 3604/03/2013

For r33:

"If a man puts his hand on a woman’s bottom, any woman worth her salt can deal with it. It is communication. Can’t we be friendly?"

Apologies in advance to Daily Mail link.

by Anonymousreply 3704/03/2013

He sounds like a psychopath.

by Anonymousreply 3804/03/2013

The "slippery slope" is the last excuse the people opposed have to hang on to.

by Anonymousreply 3904/03/2013

Thanks r36 and r37

So he's a misogynist, a homophobe, and an overall douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 4004/03/2013

Well, he did put Glenn Close into a coma, so he's not all bad.

by Anonymousreply 4104/03/2013

[r40]: Misogynists almost ALWAYS are homophobes.

by Anonymousreply 4204/03/2013

With the amount of diarrhea that comes out of Jeremy Irons' mouth, How fucked up and creepy is the inside of his mind?

by Anonymousreply 4304/03/2013

completely batshit crazy.

by Anonymousreply 4404/03/2013

So, when is the last time any of you have been invited to a commitment ceremony between a father and a son? Or two brothers? Or between a man and a dog? Legalize such unions, and we will still never be invited to such a wedding. The fact of the matter is our society deals with it.

My partner and I live together as a married couple. The vast majority of people in our family and all of our friends accept our relationship. They invite us to events, to their homes, come to our home, celebrate holidays with us, etc. Our social circle approves by allowing us to partake. A few fundamentalist nuts in my family do not approve. So, I never see them. Big deal. If a man married his son, guess what? Most likely society would shun them. If a man marries a pig, guess what? They probably wouldn't be invited to many bar mitvahs or dinner parties.

Let people do what they do. Call it marriage if they want it to be called marriage. Society will react accordingly and act as a control. If a man really, really loves his dog and wants to marry it, he can decide if its really worth all the social ramifications to do so. Which is the same reason that none of us know of any commitment ceremonies held for such couples while we know of countless held for gay couples. Gay couples want to openly commit to one another. Fathers and sons, brothers and brothers, men and pigs, men and dogs, generally, do not.

by Anonymousreply 4604/03/2013

So if a daughter got her tubes tied, by his logic she could marry her father?

He's always been an odd duck. He was too good as Claus von Bulow not to have some kind of dark side.

by Anonymousreply 4704/03/2013

Kind of rich coming from a guy who cruised when I was an extra in one of his movies years ago...

And, yes, I am a guy.

by Anonymousreply 4804/03/2013

So marriage is immoral, R49? Let's abolish the institution all together.

by Anonymousreply 5004/03/2013

Re the comment by Jeremy Irons - Who even thinks like that?

Of course, this will be repeated and cherished by the fundie-nuts in the US. Thanks, airhead Irons. I always thought he had an icky vibe and he always looked a little taxidermic.

by Anonymousreply 5104/03/2013

Details, r48? (Which movie, how old were you, how did he cruise you?)

by Anonymousreply 5204/03/2013

Hey now, I'm sure he was misquoted.

by Anonymousreply 5304/03/2013

"Chinese Box", I was an extra in a crowd scene in Hong Kong, 29 at the time. During a break, he was intent on making eye contact and making me very uncomfortable. I found him very creepy and had no intention to reciprocate or hook up with him.

by Anonymousreply 5404/03/2013

Good dish, r19 and r54.

What a creep. I can see how he jumped at playing Humbert Humbert.

by Anonymousreply 5504/03/2013

Oh please, R54. I'm sure that was your imagination working overtime.

I know someone who worked for him, and she compared him to Bill Clinton.

by Anonymousreply 5604/03/2013

[quote]I know someone who worked for him, and she compared him to Bill Clinton.

Why? Did he splooge on her dress?

by Anonymousreply 5704/03/2013

I'm now not sure why, but I thought he was an intelligent man.

by Anonymousreply 5804/03/2013

More, please R56.

by Anonymousreply 5904/03/2013

total pussyhound, big bush supporter....

by Anonymousreply 6004/03/2013

[quote]I'm now not sure why, but I thought he was an intelligent man.

It's the accent. It'll get you every time.

by Anonymousreply 6104/03/2013

That moronic piece of booze drenched shit has officially lost touch with reality.

by Anonymousreply 6204/03/2013

That's exemplary british assholism.

by Anonymousreply 6304/03/2013

J'adore Monsieur Irons!

by Anonymousreply 6404/03/2013

Yes, given his views on women, why am I still surprised? I used to think that voice was so sexy... Mr. Irons apparently never learned about the fool keeping silent vs opening his mouth and removing all doubt.

by Anonymousreply 6504/03/2013

He killed my friend Sunny V.B.!

by Anonymousreply 6604/03/2013

He's worried about gay marriage being a slippery slope? How about his libertarianism and pedophilia? That's looking pretty slippery.

Get some real boundaries, dude.

by Anonymousreply 6704/03/2013

he is a bit vampire-ish

by Anonymousreply 6804/03/2013

I'd call him ghoul-ish.

by Anonymousreply 6904/03/2013

they're terrible points. degrading and mean spirited. and the same dehumanizing trash gay people have had to endure since it was labeled a psychological disorder.

by Anonymousreply 7104/03/2013

r5 Funny. I just reread Twins last month. Much better book than movie.

by Anonymousreply 7204/03/2013

only one nomination.

by Anonymousreply 7304/03/2013

Oh my, I used to like Irons. He can't be this dense, can he? He must have many gay friends from all his years on stage and acting in general, yet says this?

True, men can't breed, but there's still a huge negative psychological component to incest, and there's definitely a social and cultural component that makes it not okay.

"Slippery slope" is the argument of intellectually lazy people. Seriously. Laws set boundaries and some of those boundaries change in different ways over time, and some remain the same. The law has always accommodated change. The notion that same-sex marriage is the one boundary, which if crossed, it means the end of all boundaries (the end of law) is absolutely ridiculous. We really can have legal same sex marriage and still not allow beastiality. We really can have legal same sex marriage and not allow incest. It's like saying if we legalize marijuana, we would have to legalize cocaine.

by Anonymousreply 7404/03/2013

Then he talks about dogs, so he is into beastiality like than Reagan person.

by Anonymousreply 7504/03/2013

Holy Shit!

by Anonymousreply 7604/03/2013

I remember reading an interview with Juliette Binoche saying that he more or less was creepy/stalkerish on the set of Damaged. Their sex scene would end and he would not stop.

by Anonymousreply 7704/03/2013

I agree with you, R74. The slippery slope argument is both lazy and preposterous. Consensual, adult, incestual relationships exist. They are extremely rare, but they do exist. And people have sex with animals. Again, very rare, but it happens. Likewise, gay people have sex. The difference is that many gay people are also in very public, committed relationships. Mny gay people have also petitioned for the right to marry. The same can not be said for fathers and sons, brothers and brothers, men and dogs, men and dolphins, or whatever bizarre coupling dreamed up by madly perverse conservatives. Conservatives seem to believe that marriage equals sex. So because they heard one time about a man having sex with a goat (okay, they are just looking back fondly on their own personal experience), they think that someone will want to marry a goat. But I have never heard about someone dating a goat or petitioning for the right to marry a goat. Once again, the conservatives jump through hoops to avoid taking an honest look at humanity.

by Anonymousreply 7804/03/2013

Well, well, well. If he only says something awful about women, those "cunts" just need to get a "sense of humor" and "not take things so seriously". Shouldn't gay men do the same?

by Anonymousreply 7904/03/2013

Huh, R79? I think he's a disgusting human. In my experience, sexism and homophobia go hand in hand.

by Anonymousreply 8004/03/2013

Sad to hear him spout the desperate stuff of UK reactionaries - "Does this mean I can marry my horse?!" etcetera. Sounds like he's parroting 'The Daily Telegraph.'

I wonder how peers in the theatre world such as Sir Ian McKellen, Sir Nicholas Hytner and many more will view his comments.

FWIW years ago when Brideshead was big a gossip columnist told me that Irons and David Essex were very close during 'Godspell.' I'm old, but not so old as Jeremy.

by Anonymousreply 8104/04/2013

What a douche bag. I thought he was going to say some really insightful thing.

Clearly he dose not know the difference between a movie script and thoughtful insight.

This movie is a dead ringer for what he is taking about and his incestuous obsession.

by Anonymousreply 8204/04/2013

Incest, bestiality, that's where their minds immediately go. These conservatives are some sick fucks.

by Anonymousreply 8304/04/2013

I'm sick and tired of people bringing up same sex marriage issues and then using the gay angle to call up all sorts of shady gradations and judgements in a really moralizing sense. How would they feel if we inferred that their marriages and relationships were unknitting the fine moral fabric of human society? That if one more straight couple married, the sky would open up and hellfire would rain down left and right as pigs married men, women married trees, and children married their favorite flavor of popsicle?

It's really and truly the biggest load of bullshit to align a total lack of order, reason, and normalcy to gay relationships and marriages and it drives me absolutely insane.

And finally: screw you, Irons.

by Anonymousreply 8404/04/2013

What puzzles me is that at the beginning Irons seems perfectly fine with civil unions, but for gays to fight for the right to call it marriage crosses the line and leads to father and son marriages for tax reasons. That's what makes me think WTF?

The whole incest vs. interbreeding argument, is as other posters mentioned, not an unfamiliar opinion at Datalounge.

Irons comes off as a babbling buffoon without a moral compass guiding him through the interview.

by Anonymousreply 8504/04/2013

I like the fact that Jeremy Irons is a moron. Better for me! I like having people BELOW me. Yes,I'm narcissist.

by Anonymousreply 8604/04/2013

I'm done with this old queen. DONE, and with his tired fucking show.

by Anonymousreply 8704/04/2013

Jesus Christ, seriously, what is wrong with these people?

by Anonymousreply 8804/04/2013

This dude thinks he found a genius loophole. What's to stop a father from marrying his son in order to avoid estate taxes, he asks? Gee, I dunno...probably the same thing currently stopping fathers from marrying their daughters in order to avoid estate taxes. What a fucktard.

by Anonymousreply 8904/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!