Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

MR. SELFRIDGE with Jeremy Piven on Masterpiece Theatre. Anyone watching?

I like it so far. Almost as addictive as DOWNTON ABBEY.

by Anonymousreply 21104/06/2015

Really? Sorry, didn't realize there was a thread. I wondered why no one had talked about this. OK, sorry. Guess I don't have any taste. But so far I enjoyed the first episode.

by Anonymousreply 204/03/2013

The verdict that the show sucks—particularly Piven, who gives an execrable performance—is perhaps the only thing that has ever brought Datalounge together in near-unanimous agreement.

by Anonymousreply 304/03/2013

May I echo R3s words? I don't know how Piven continues to get work. He's always this grinning, out-of-character goof! The production values on this show are wasted on him. Really, no one else could have played that part?

by Anonymousreply 404/03/2013

Somehow business drama typically fails on television.

by Anonymousreply 504/04/2013

I swear British equity hired Piven to sabotage the show because they don't like giving jobs to Americans.

by Anonymousreply 604/04/2013

Piven gives perhaps the worst performance I can recall seeing in many years. And he keeps doing some annoying thing as though he's acclimating to new dentures or new tooth veneers or something rascally-rabbitty-toothy and wildly disconcerting.

The actress playing Selfridge's wife is almost equally bad (and, had she had a lick of sense, would have given up her cooch for the Ryan Gosling-ish artist, who may be the only redeeming element in the show.)

There's an interesting documentary in there, but not, I suspect, a good series or mini-series.

How anyone makes his way down Oxford Street at Selfridge's closing time is a mystery. The pavement is chockablock with employees lingering about waiting for assignations.

by Anonymousreply 704/04/2013

Oliver Jackson-Cohen is the only redeeming aspect of the show, but just for eye candy. You could watch his parts with the sound off.

If you check out his Facebook, he's rather obsessed with posting pictures of himself on red carpets, etc.

by Anonymousreply 804/04/2013

Piven is so remarkably bad it feels almost like a skit -- any minute they'll break into some Monty Python music. So, so bad.

by Anonymousreply 904/04/2013

Poor Miss Mardle - and that silly Kitty.

Question: were they really snorting coke in early 1900s London - surely that came in with the jazz age and the 20s and the bright young things? I hardly think Edwardians were coked out of their minds, like the actress Selfridge is banging ?

Can't wait for Series 2.

by Anonymousreply 1004/04/2013

Unbearably boring and bad show. Piven can't carry it off, either.

by Anonymousreply 1104/04/2013

If I'd known Oliver Jackson Cohen and his hairy chest were in it, I might have watched it.

by Anonymousreply 1204/04/2013

One episode was enough for me.

So long, suckah!

by Anonymousreply 1304/04/2013

You all are being very hard on Jeremy. I am sure he is still bravely trying to recover from his mercury poisoning and that naturally affects his craft.

by Anonymousreply 1404/04/2013

Yes, R14, the man is clearly recovering from a grievous head injury:

by Anonymousreply 1504/05/2013

Season finale is on now.

Jesus Christ, Jeremy Piven is AWFUL. High school acting.

The Frenchman is hot, though.

by Anonymousreply 1605/19/2013

Jeremy Piven is a one-note actor. He can't play it serious for five minutes.

by Anonymousreply 1705/19/2013

Piven is a one note hack.

Worst Masterpiece ever.

by Anonymousreply 1805/19/2013

Piven is all that has already been said in each reply. But no one has identified the remarkable ping and the purses dropping every time he opens his non-talented mouth.

by Anonymousreply 2005/19/2013

[quote]Piven is all that has already been said in each reply. But no one has identified the remarkable ping and the purses dropping every time he opens his non-talented mouth.

I've always thought he was gay.

by Anonymousreply 2105/19/2013

In that respect he is channeling Ryan Reynolds, one of the biggest pingers of all time. Where, by the way, is Mr. Reynolds these days?

by Anonymousreply 2205/20/2013

I've gotten to really enjoy Mr Selfridge.

Last night's season-ender was quite good, wrapping up a number of storylines and removing some characters.

Piven's performance has improved over the episodes... I like how the character really has a public face/persona and a private face/persona that are at odds with each other.

Mr. Grove is such a creepy man, I can't believe his reason for marrying Doris.

Selfridge being humiliated publicly with a stage production? Whoa. And his family seeing the soww too!

Henri (who I thought was gay) leaving for NYC? Surprise.

The next series is going to jump time, moving forward to 1914... we don't get those episodes here in the states until 2014. Damn.

by Anonymousreply 2305/20/2013

Good god, I agree with every word in this thread, minus the OP.

Mama, get the smelling salts!

by Anonymousreply 2405/20/2013

R23, I agree with you. This series really grew on me and I'm really enjoying it. I think the actor who plays Mr. Grove is a major ginger hottie, whoa! And Henri is a major stud! Are these two actors gay in real life? They both aren't married.

by Anonymousreply 2505/20/2013

I never miss an episode.

Piven is annoying, but, in weighing the balance between, on one scale, enduring him, with, on the other, the production design, writing, casting,count me as a fan.

Plus, I love the theme music. It's perfect.

by Anonymousreply 2605/20/2013

I agree with r23 and r25. I like the show, find it more watchable than Downton Abbey, and am impressed that even Jeremy Piven's presence onscreen fails to ruin my enjoyment of the series. It mystifies me that he's still getting work... perhaps he's better tolerated among British audiences than American ones?

In any case, I think it's a good ensemble production, and the sets, hairstyles, clothes, and sociopolitical elements fascinate me.

by Anonymousreply 2705/20/2013

I lost interest after a couple episodes.

And by no stretch of anyone's warped imagination can [italic]Mr. Selfridge[/italic] compare to the fantastic [italic]Downton Abbey[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 2805/20/2013

In any case, I think it's a good ensemble production, and the sets, hairstyles, clothes, and sociopolitical elements fascinate me.

I agree with you R27. It is so interesting how he manged to keep the department store successful back then,and the interaction of various historic events that played a role in this store is interesting and fun. Mr. Selfridge comes off to be a very likeable person because he embraced the Suffragette because he knew what it was like to be an under dog in society coming from a very poor background.

I think you can't compare and contrast the two shows, Downtown Abbey and Mr. Selfridge because they are coming from two different perspectives on what life once was like in England. One show is about a high society trying to famliy thrive while the other is about making some man's dream becoming a reality and making a business thrive. However, both shows are about people who are trying to stay afloat despite the obstacles that they have to deal with in their lives. I think they both offer some interesting things.

by Anonymousreply 2905/20/2013

I watched it last night (having only seen one other episode previously) and I was surprised to see that it has been renewed because I find it very tedious. Jeremy Piven really is a terrible actor, completely charmless.

by Anonymousreply 3005/20/2013

For those wondering how Piven got the role - I'm pretty sure he is one of the producers. In other words, a vanity project. The BBC didn't go after him - he went after the BBC.

by Anonymousreply 3105/20/2013

Piven is the weak link in this show... all he offers is an imitation of Andy Hardy, with more grinning.

The rest of the cast is very good to excellent, even in the small roles.

PBS is such a problem. They program so oddly, as if they don't have the confidence in their own audience. Yeah, I'm getting older, but I love PBS programming. I'd watch it over anything else on a Sunday night - it's frustrating that with Downton especially they stall airing it, when you know it's on somewhere else and can spoil the whole season for yourself if you want. And their website (and local channel websites) are a total mess... you can find what you want if you've got about two hours.

by Anonymousreply 3205/20/2013

Has Call the Midwife ended? They've condemned Nonnatus House and the auditorium

by Anonymousreply 3305/20/2013

Airing shows months after they air in Britain reeks of pre-Internet thinking.

I wanted to watch Selfridge, but I couldn't get past Piven's supremely amateurish performance, so only watched the first episode.

PBS doesn't always air gold, but I don't recall them running anything with such a bad starring actor before.

by Anonymousreply 3405/20/2013

R33, I think there's another episode of CTM; it would be what's called "the Christmas episode".

I've enjoyed CTM so much from the beginning. I love the entire cast and the different storylines.

I was so pleased to see the adorable Jimmy last night. Who is that actor? Cute, cute, cute, sexy as well.

Regarding Mr Selfridge, I don't think Piven is amateurish in his acting, rather he has to put across the larger than life, amiable, ever-grinning and too eager Selfridge. When the character's at home or alone in his office, he's quite different and far more low-key, exposing what I think is his inferiority complex.

by Anonymousreply 3505/20/2013

I made it through 45 minutes of the first episode, and didn't care enough to finish. I tried two other times, but the bad writing and the incompetence of Piven drove me away.

But, yes, really - haven't we talked about this mess enough?

by Anonymousreply 3605/20/2013

[quote] I don't think Piven is amateurish in his acting

I disagree. He was not playing for the period at all. He was playing it as if his character lived in California in the 21st Century. Entourage: the Costume Party!

He just doesn't appear to have much range as an actor.

I blame the writers, too. They put words in his mouth that no person of that era would say.

But it's a pity to spend that type of money on a series, only to cast someone incompetent in the lead role.

by Anonymousreply 3705/20/2013

So will the Christmas episode be the end of the CTM series? I mean "series" in the American sense, not in the UK sense where "series" means season.

Is that the death knell for the entire show?

It's so much better than Selfridge.

by Anonymousreply 3805/20/2013

How do we reconcile the huge PING of Mr. Piven with his reputation for rape and sexual assault on women from the time he was a very young man?

Self-loathing overcompensation?

by Anonymousreply 3905/20/2013

Wanted to slug Mr. Grove last night - what a shit.

Piven's acting, however, still isn't very good.

by Anonymousreply 4005/20/2013

[quote]How do we reconcile the huge PING of Mr. Piven with his reputation for rape and sexual assault on women from the time he was a very young man?

I always thought Piven was gay. But I have a very good friend who worked with him and he told me that Piven is not gay (for reasons I can't go into without revealing my source). A cokewhore, but not gay.

by Anonymousreply 4105/20/2013

I liked the show, otherwise, but Piven was not good in it.

by Anonymousreply 4205/20/2013

[quote]I disagree. He was not playing for the period at all. He was playing it as if his character lived in California in the 21st Century. Entourage: the Costume Party!

Couldn't have described his acting better!

by Anonymousreply 4305/20/2013

Thought I read SELFRIDGE would end at Episode 10. Why are we getting a second season and how many episodes are included?

by Anonymousreply 4405/20/2013

R44, I don't know how many episodes total are going to run, but the next series begins in 1914, a five year jump in time.

Perhaps the ratings for each series will determin who many more episodes are produced.

by Anonymousreply 4505/20/2013

I worked on a P.O.S. film that Piven was in.

I never thought he pinged, but he was a douche, as was the director and other cast.

by Anonymousreply 4605/20/2013

[quote]The BBC didn't go after him - he went after the BBC.

The BBC has absolutely nothing to do with "Mr Selfridge."

by Anonymousreply 4705/20/2013

I'm loving the ultra-feminine Gibson Girl hairstyles.

On a more shallow note, I want M. LeClair inside me quite deeply.

by Anonymousreply 4805/20/2013

I kept hoping this would get better and Piven would find his stride but OH MY GOD this man is awful in this role. There must have been 100 other actors that would have been capable of this role.

He's just horrible.

by Anonymousreply 4907/05/2013

R49 What do you expect? He's a one-note actor. All he can do is his "Entourage" character.

by Anonymousreply 5007/05/2013

Season premiere tonight.

Iirc, the story will pick-up five years later, but then, can someone remind me of what happened with the Mrs. Selfridge, daughter and the artist?

by Anonymousreply 5103/30/2014

JP is almost 50. When is he going to find a nice lady to marry and settle down with?

by Anonymousreply 5203/30/2014

Should be called "Masterpiece Community Theater."

by Anonymousreply 5303/30/2014

[quote]JP is almost 50. When is he going to find a nice lady to marry and settle down with?

Maybe it will happen after the death of the rat that lives on top of his head.

Worst toupée ever.

by Anonymousreply 5403/30/2014

If it's five years later, did they recast the children? I assume this has already aired in the UK, perhaps one of our British cousins can advise us.

by Anonymousreply 5503/30/2014

Coming up

by Anonymousreply 5603/30/2014

I suppose all of you who dislike this show love the trash that is on Bravo.

It IS a good show. Piven does just fine. If any of you would bother to read up (if you can) you would learn the real Mr. Selfridge was somewhat flamboyant and over the top--THIS is why Piven plays him that way.

Stop knocking quality scripted shows or you will end up with nothing but housewife trash shows. But you would like that.

by Anonymousreply 5703/30/2014

The costume design is an eyegasm.

by Anonymousreply 5803/30/2014

I Like this series.

by Anonymousreply 5903/30/2014

Piven improved some as the season went on. And the rest of the cast is good. And the store itself is the most interesting part of it.

by Anonymousreply 6003/30/2014

I pictured Lady Loxley's old man to BE an old man.

by Anonymousreply 6103/30/2014

i did too. he's quite a villain I don't see anything entertaining about him.

by Anonymousreply 6203/30/2014

I love Piven, I know he's an asshole but I think he's hotter than hell. Love his manic energy, he's so masculine.

by Anonymousreply 6303/30/2014

That was Henri?

by Anonymousreply 6403/30/2014

I can't stand Frances O'Connor. She's like a prehistoric Katherine McPhee.

by Anonymousreply 6503/30/2014

Ruh-roh. Is Delphine up to no good?

I like her character and the actress who is playing her.

by Anonymousreply 6603/30/2014

So who's better at portraying an American spouse in England: Frances O'Connor or Elizabeth McGovern?

by Anonymousreply 6703/30/2014

Elizabeth McGovern, r67.

As much as I'm enjoying MS, Frances O'Connor seems glaringly miscast.

by Anonymousreply 6803/30/2014

I'd have to vote for McGovern... who plays stupid so beautifully.

I think Delphine is going to have those Selfridge's three waying in no time.

by Anonymousreply 6903/30/2014

Forgot to ask- Did anybody else think the pacing of tonight's episode was a bit slow? My attention wandered a bit; something that never happened before while watching this.

by Anonymousreply 7003/30/2014

[quote] I think Delphine is going to have those Selfridge's three waying in no time.

by Anonymousreply 7103/30/2014

It hasn't aired on the West Coast yet. Is it a full two-hour episode, or did they pad it with some crap like they do with "Downton"?

by Anonymousreply 7203/30/2014

I hope that Lady Loxley pushes Lord Loxley over a cliff.

by Anonymousreply 7303/30/2014

90 minutes, r72

by Anonymousreply 7403/30/2014

it's just ... I think it's just adequately written... that tango intercut was amateur in execution.

I swear I saw Norma Desmond's robe or caftan or whatever it was from the entrance scenes from Sunset Blvd. It was dead center of the fashion display in the first episode.

by Anonymousreply 7503/30/2014

Thank God they've dealt with that mother... she sponged everything out of every scene she was in.

by Anonymousreply 7603/30/2014

This season is much better than last year, for some reason Piven is less annoying, maybe I've accepted him in the role finally. I hated him in the last season.

Its BBC counterpart, The Paradise, was not renewed for a third season. There will be another one of Selfridge and they jump ahead to 1919.

I do hate the french guy, I wish they'd kill him off, but we're stuck with him for the moment.

by Anonymousreply 7703/30/2014

Hey everyone, get a load of R57, who only watches QUALITY television.

by Anonymousreply 7803/30/2014

Go fuck yourself, R78. What's your damage?

MR. SELFRIDGE is better than 98% of the rest of what's on TV, here or abroad.

If you don't like it, don't watch. Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 7903/31/2014

OK, just finished the first ep of Season 2. It's still enjoyable, and I agree that Piven has dialed it back a bit. I watched the documentary short about Selfridge's that aired afterward and discovered that Selfridge was around 58 at the time this episode is set (1914.) Piven, and the way the character acts, seem much younger.

I love the costumes and the sets, but the wigs on the women are really atrocious. Or is that what they're going for? Are they supposed to represent women who actually wore wigs, which weren't as nice as those available today? The worst by far is Lady Loxley's. And a couple of the shopgirls are pretty awful as well.

I'm fascinated with the lovely complexions of both Miss Towler and Miss Hawkins. Peaches and cream British beauties, both of them. And although I usually am attracted to darker, more ethnic men (like Henri and the Colleano cousins), I find Mr. Thackeray oddly appealing for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 8003/31/2014

[quote]I watched the documentary short about Selfridge's that aired afterward and discovered that Selfridge was around 58 at the time this episode is set (1914.) Piven, and the way the character acts, seem much younger.

No one wants to watch a TV show about a 58 year old. Even on PBS.

by Anonymousreply 8103/31/2014

So, Miss Towler is a department of one? No support, no staff at all, and she's give a few days to design and execute displays for the entire store?

by Anonymousreply 8203/31/2014

I thought the documentary short was better than the episode. I think they're going to totally fictionalize it... I'm seeing a Lady Mae / Selfridge hook up. And a cheesy who killed Lord Loxeley?

by Anonymousreply 8303/31/2014

[quote]I find Mr. Thackeray oddly appealing for some reason.

It's the repression, bursting at the seams.

by Anonymousreply 8403/31/2014

Speaking of seams, I loved all of Agnes' clothes last night. Very stylin.

I assume we're supposed to take it that she's not quite up to the job and so Henri's arrival will be welcomed, not resented? She did quite a lot of tense frowning and some sighing last night, but other than that I couldn't quite figure out how her day was going.

by Anonymousreply 8503/31/2014

I agree with the poster who said the women's wigs were bad - they are very, very bad.

Agnes and Henri's love affair - in fact their entire storyline - is not believable. It would never ha;pen like that in real life.

I don't like how the little gay boy department manager is evil (Thomas's evil cousin?). What are gay men always shown as gossipy, vicious, runty and traitorous like this??? Henri is noble, long-suffering, big and brawny. Give us gay men a break! Give us just ONE redeeming character!

by Anonymousreply 8603/31/2014

It's interesting that when it comes time to cook up gay characters they go for those cliches every time. I wonder why.

by Anonymousreply 8703/31/2014

R87 Do we know that he's gay?

by Anonymousreply 8803/31/2014

[quote] If you don't like it, don't watch. Problem solved

Everyone here is allowed to hate watch any show they like. This is not TWoP.

We don't approve of hall monitors in any threads, let alone tv threads. Your opinion is not the only one and people who disagree with you are not banned.

If you don't like it, start your own messageboard where only your opinions are allowed.

by Anonymousreply 8903/31/2014

[quote] love the costumes and the sets, but the wigs on the women are really atrocious

The women?

What about Piven's? His is the worst of all.

I'm guessing Delphine is up to no good. I only ever seen Polly Walker play a bad girl character. She was great as Atia of the Julii (sp?) on Rome.

I never watched the first series. Does the character played by Martin Freeman's partner (the one who plays his wife on sherlock) really need to go to Geneva to see her brother or is she pregnant and planning an Edith Crawley-like European getaway?

by Anonymousreply 9003/31/2014

"Delphine" is not exactly a common name, yet we have two series with characters who share that name: "Selfridge," and Kathy Bates's character on "American Horror Story: Coven."

by Anonymousreply 9103/31/2014

Loving Katherine Kelly as Lady Mae. I miss her as Becky on Coronation Street.

by Anonymousreply 9203/31/2014

She seemed a little less campy to me in the first two episodes... and her husband is irredeemable. I wonder if she's to be the new Mrs. Selfridge... cause there's not much point in keeping the present one.

by Anonymousreply 9303/31/2014

SPOILER ALERT: In real life, Mrs. S. died in 1918, so if they keep to the facts, she won't be around in the next series.

by Anonymousreply 9403/31/2014

Piven is best when he can act like an idiotic dick. He got the chance to do so towards Delphine in this episode. Piven is no good when he plays a happy dappy grinning nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 9503/31/2014

Mrs Selfridge dies and does not return in the next season.

by Anonymousreply 9603/31/2014

There were so many ominous comments about the upcoming war that I'm sure we're going to lose a few members of the male staff over the next few episodes.

by Anonymousreply 9703/31/2014

[quote]It IS a good show. Piven does just fine. If any of you would bother to read up (if you can) you would learn the real Mr. Selfridge was somewhat flamboyant and over the top--[bold]THIS is why Piven plays him that way[/bold].

What's Piven's excuse for all of his other over the top acting?

I like Mrs. Selfridge, now that she has grown a spine.

by Anonymousreply 9803/31/2014

Mrs. Selfridge does indeed die... of embarrassment.

The melodrama really gets ratcheted up to an incredible degree. And the plot holes! Now we know what happened to flight MH370... it got lost in one of Mr. Selfridge's immense plot holes.

The sharks are circling in the English Channel and Mr. Selfridge wants to jump.

I wonder who will die on the Lusitania?

by Anonymousreply 9904/01/2014

I'd bet she dies from the Spanish flu that killed so many.

by Anonymousreply 10004/04/2014

Is Oliver Jackson-Cohen still in this?

by Anonymousreply 10104/04/2014

Piven's acting is to smile and show his big teeth. The Frenchman is really a treat, glad he was reintroduced.

by Anonymousreply 10204/04/2014

by Anonymousreply 10304/06/2014

Mmmmmm, Henri.. Although I liked him better with the beard. Delicious hairy bastard!

by Anonymousreply 10404/06/2014

Awww, I hope Lady Loxley doesn't cross Selfridge.

by Anonymousreply 10504/06/2014

Perk up, writers! That was disappointing.

Geez, this is the first series since "Brothers and Sisters" that is never miss TV for me, and now I've gotta worry that this will nosedive, too.

by Anonymousreply 10604/06/2014

I liked tonight's show. I think Lord Loxley is up to something with the freakin Germans.

by Anonymousreply 10704/06/2014

Lady Loxley is do fun to watch, I just love her.

by Anonymousreply 10804/06/2014

I can't wait for that horrible Frances O'conner to die,

by Anonymousreply 10904/07/2014

Another Henri fan.. Just gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 11004/07/2014

Wow, Miss Mardle looks so much better with MONEY!

by Anonymousreply 11104/07/2014

R101 not so far. If DRACULA gets cancelled, maybe he will come back?

by Anonymousreply 11204/07/2014

Finally figured out that Miss Mardle is Dr. Watson's (and the actor who plays him) wife on SHERLOCK.

by Anonymousreply 11304/07/2014

The son now speaks with an English an accent. I would have thought the director and casting people would have wanted an actor to use an american accent. Or, are we to believe that the kid picked up that pattern of speaking while at boarding school?

by Anonymousreply 11404/07/2014

The Lady Loxley Hour coming up.

by Anonymousreply 11504/13/2014

I like this show. Sure beats watching anything on Bravo or NBC (except Chicago Fire and SVU.) Has reality TV killed your brains so that even The Brady Bunch would seem like Shakespeare to you?

Piven is acting like the real Mr. Selfridge acted, girls. The man was over the top and kind of showy--look him up. It's an interesting look at the retail business too. Mr. Selfridge got his start at the legendary Marshall Field's in Chicago.

Not everything famous has New York roots.

Queens, save your bitchy comments--I am not reading them.

by Anonymousreply 11604/13/2014

Rumble! Loxley v. Delphine

Who'll win?

by Anonymousreply 11704/13/2014

They should do a cross over... Mrs. Harry Gordon Selfdrige and Cora, Countess of Grantham could try to out stupid one another.

by Anonymousreply 11804/13/2014

My money's on Mrs. Selfridge. At least Cora knows how to dress.

by Anonymousreply 11904/13/2014

Tom Goodman-Hill (Grove) is a superb actor. I think he's the best of the male cast.

by Anonymousreply 12004/13/2014

by Anonymousreply 12104/13/2014

He's good. I don't quite get his storyline. This show is entertaining but there's not much to it. Makes Downton seem like a Stoppard play.

by Anonymousreply 12204/13/2014

Miss Towler needs a new dress.

by Anonymousreply 12304/13/2014

They shoulda hired the actress who played O'Brien as Lady May's lady's maid.

by Anonymousreply 12404/13/2014

I'd let that Belgian cover me in chocolat.

by Anonymousreply 12504/13/2014

Prediction: Mrs. Selfridge dies and it's May vs. Delphine in season three... fighting for the Selfrod.

by Anonymousreply 12604/13/2014

I'm sick of dull Mrs. Selfridge and her Miss Priss ways.

Fuck your husband.

by Anonymousreply 12704/13/2014

[quote]Fuck your husband.

Everyone else does, why shouldn't she?

by Anonymousreply 12804/14/2014

Thank you for joining us, Mr. Piven @ R116

by Anonymousreply 12904/16/2014

Tea time.

by Anonymousreply 13004/20/2014

I LOVE this theme music.

by Anonymousreply 13104/20/2014

OK, now we know what Delphine is after.

by Anonymousreply 13204/20/2014

Della, what is she after?

by Anonymousreply 13304/21/2014

Frances O'Connor reminds me of Jessica Harper from "Suspiria", with a little Brooke Adams thrown in.

Jessica at link.

by Anonymousreply 13404/21/2014

We love Miss Mardle and Kitty the ambitious shopgirl, so camp. Agnes is dull, but Lady Mae and Delphine are the tops. I presume in next series, set 5 years later, Mrs Selfridges has died and Mr Selfridge will have a whole new raft of admirers.

It all reminds me of CGI movies, as there is something not quite real about it. Is it an actual set?

by Anonymousreply 13504/21/2014

Haven't read all the posts but in case Gregory Fitoussi (Henri)'s gay cousin, a datalounger, hasn't yet posted it here, Gregory is gay.

by Anonymousreply 13604/21/2014

I really enjoyed last night's episode.

Lord Loxley has been so unpleasant from the moment he arrived and the way he shot down Selfridge at the poker game was incredible. What is it that will bring down Loxley?

Mrs Selfridge with he women in the loading bay and then at the shooting session (I pegged that she was good with a gun, but it was fun to see).

What's Henri up to? Is he a spy for the British or the French?

Is Delphine working for British secret service, helping to recruit spies?

Oh Mr. Thackery, you are trouble, aren't you? But do not mess with Henri - he will take you down and it will hurt.

I love Mr. Crabbe - always have and the birthday gesture in Selfridge's office was great.

That Belgian violinist better start putting out man.

by Anonymousreply 13704/21/2014

Polly Walker(Delphine) never lost that baby weight did she? I remember she had a nude scene in the first season of ROME. She is still beautiful but looks matronly.

by Anonymousreply 13804/21/2014

I used to love Rome, but it had dull parts and was hard to follow...but overall, I enjoyed it. Loved the attention to detail in the sets.

I like Mr. Selfridge. It's different and fun. I love British shows and the historic period factor.

I also like The Paradise--which they did make one additional season of; hopefully PBS will run it.

PBS shows in general are a lot better than most network stuff and definitely better than the so called reality shows.

by Anonymousreply 13904/21/2014

I didn't get the whole poker game and what it was supposed to mean?

by Anonymousreply 14004/21/2014

I don't know what Delphine's motives were, but I think the poker game was set-up so someone from a British spy organization would meet Selfidge.

What that man got to see was how well Harry handled himself when Loxley knocked him down a peg by not offering a position on procurement and then see Harry outplay Loxley in poker.

by Anonymousreply 14104/21/2014

I was watching last week and I just don't want to get into another drama with WW1 in the background.

by Anonymousreply 14204/21/2014

All the boys in Palm Springs find it addictive.

by Anonymousreply 14304/21/2014

[quote] I used to love Rome, but it had dull parts and was hard to follow...

And had the most ridiculous off-on-a-tangent lesbian story in a tv show since Roseanne left the air.

I loved the Jocasta character, who seemed to have wandered into Ancient Rome from 1968.

by Anonymousreply 14404/21/2014

[quote]Piven's acting is to smile and show his big teeth.

The Americans must be LOVING him.

by Anonymousreply 14504/21/2014

A little over 900,000 British soldiers were killed in World War I.

by Anonymousreply 14604/21/2014

[quote] Della, what is she after?

Selfridge, r133. She's going to attempt to (and perhaps succeed at)seducing him.

by Anonymousreply 14704/21/2014

I would like to examine Henri's anus...

by Anonymousreply 14804/22/2014

Is this the thread?

by Anonymousreply 14904/28/2014

how do you know Gregory Fitoussi is gay? where's your proof?

by Anonymousreply 15004/28/2014

Wow, did the webmaster bring this thread back? If so, thanks!

by Anonymousreply 15104/28/2014

Interesting episode last night.

Agnes accepting Victor's proposal, but I think she's still got a thing for Henri.

Ms. Mardle - could her snack cake be moister around the young Belgian?

Lady Mae and her tenor... loved that she performed with him at the benefit concert.

Lord Loxley - what an unlikable character (calling Selfridge a tradesman! Whoa, that takes balls)! What will be his fate? Death, leaving Mae very wealthy?

Gordon's got the hots for a shop girl! Will Ma and Pa approve? Will he at lose his virginity to her?

I wonder, if in real life, Selfridge did assist British intelligence? Perhaps I should read the book.

by Anonymousreply 15204/28/2014

Yay! Thread revived.

Yes, this episode was the best of the season so far. The pacing was good, the writing was good, and, no matter how many times I hear "Danny Boy" it never fails to make me verklempt.

Agree with you on all of your questions, r152. I would only add,

Will Selfridge succumb to Delphine?

by Anonymousreply 15304/28/2014

I loved it too.

I really love Mae and the actress who plays her. Her vulnerability in this episode was really moving. I wonder, was she a theater girl before Lord Loxley? It was obvious she knew Richard, the tenor, very well. I so enjoyed their scenes together.

And Henri - a spy, or something else? Wow, Thackery really has it in for him. He's insufferable, and plays that role deliciously.

I'm finding Grove a bit sexy lately.. I love how he's pining over Miss Mardle. He knows he fucked up, poor bastard. I hope she has a wild ride on the Belgian violinist before too long. She deserves a nasty shag.

I really like Mr Grove and Mr Crabb's friendship. Their scenes together are always amusing.

Oh, Delphine.. Could she be any more calculating?

I was surprised that Agnes accepted the proposal.. And so quickly.

Happy that this series just keeps getting better.

by Anonymousreply 15404/28/2014

Alfie Boe!

by Anonymousreply 15604/28/2014

OK, I posted this in the other thread -- does anyone know if any of the stories and characters outside of the Selfridge family are real, or is it all fiction?

by Anonymousreply 15704/28/2014

I had this in my thread watcher so I bumped it when I saw the other thread asking about it - however ...

I was saving it for the end of this season. I haven't read it because when the thread for the last season of Downton Abbey was going some ass kept posting spoilers and it really ruined it for me.

So, help a brother out -- does this thread cover the first season or just the second? Most importantly, are there spoilers in here as well?

by Anonymousreply 15804/28/2014

R154, Yes, Mae was a theater girl as you call it, in addition to being a high paid escort.

I still want to suck Jeremy's big dick.

by Anonymousreply 15904/28/2014

The actress who plays Miss Mardle is the real life "longtime companion" of Martin Freeman, from "Fargo" and also Watson opposite Cumberbatch's Sherlock. (And the hobbit movies, I guess.)

by Anonymousreply 16004/28/2014

Yes that Miss Mardle girl has come out of nowhere to be in this and the even more popular Sherlock, aren't she and Freeman married now ?

by Anonymousreply 16104/29/2014

Despite being with or married to Martin Freeman she filed for bankruptcy recently, surely she could afford to pay her debts or he could have helped her to avoid negative publicity for them - or do they just see it as a way to walk away from their debts and start again.

by Anonymousreply 16204/29/2014

I've heard that in real life, Martin Freeman is kind of a dick and has done interviews where he was actually offensive or unbalanced sounding. Maybe he doesn't care about her financial circumstances and won't help her.

by Anonymousreply 16304/29/2014

R163 Yeah, there was an article in last week's EW about him that pretty much implied that he was "difficult."

by Anonymousreply 16404/29/2014

R159, when was it alluded to, or outright spoken of that Mae was a high paid escort??

by Anonymousreply 16504/30/2014

Normally, this Selfridge thing would be right up my alley but because of its high Piven content, I am unable to watch even a single episode.

by Anonymousreply 16604/30/2014

For Della.

by Anonymousreply 16704/30/2014

lol, r167.

by Anonymousreply 16805/01/2014

bumping for recap of tonight's episode. I missed it.

What happened?

by Anonymousreply 16905/04/2014

She not infrequently comes across as a maniac on Twitter. Don't know about him.

by Anonymousreply 17005/04/2014

Mae wasn't a ho, she was a... well I don't think she was an actress but she sang and danced on stage. But I don't think she acted.

For Della:

Kitty smirked on the reporter's arm.

Henri was in jail for spying because the repressed haberdasher had accused him of spying - although no one on the shop floor knew it was Mr. Blackwell's bitchy doing.

Much effort and a few tears were expended sorting Henri. Agnes went off to see him in the klink, with Victor's blessing. In a backhanded alibi Henri confessed he'd been slinking about Europe, including unfortunate stops in Germany and England, chasing after that woman who wore pants (not Hillary, she's not that old) who he went off the New York with and apparently super really loved, enough to chase her through war torn Europe and do things that could be confused with espionage instead of stalking. The rub is she took off with another guy, but Henri gave chase anyway. Not that there's ever been any explaining the French when it comes to love.

by Anonymousreply 17105/04/2014

Harry Gordon Selfridge Junior the Second is informed that a day player we can’t remember has been killed at the front and since his large toothed father is nowhere to be found, it falls to him to comfort the family as said day player was 1) a Selfie (now of blessed memory) and 2) a great friend of Harry Gordon Selfridge Junior the Second. HGSJTS spends the rest of the episode attempting to write a condolence letter ‘just like Pa’ would until his fat blonde friend in Tea convinces him to just go say sorry in person and be his own man. Definitely a teachable moment, in an Edwardian kind of way.

by Anonymousreply 17205/04/2014

Meanwhile, things are hotting up on the grapevine and in the conservatory as relates to what is rapidly becoming Miss Mardle’s bordello. Apparently bored with fathering a new child every week with Doris, Mr. Redhead takes the only time the elevator doesn’t have an elevator girl at the controls to get alone with Miss Mardle in the lift and caution her that her living arrangements could give rise to loose talk. (Ironic, when you think the two of them were bobbing for naughty bits in the bathtub when he first crazy wife was still alive.)

Miss Mardle is all ‘oh, no you din’ and later, at her House of Horny, confronts her Belgian banjo player about this foolishness. Well, lo and behold, he’s apparently more than just grateful, he’s been pining for Miss Mardle all along (and with that hair and those fluttery manners, who wouldn’t?) and Miss Mardle, being, beneath it all, a total horndog herself, kisses him back and, one presumes, installs a new tub.

by Anonymousreply 17305/04/2014

Most importantly, Loxley's adventures as Downton Abbey's answer to Payless have not gone well... if you're a soldier at the front watching your boots fall apart whilst dodging bullets. The blame game ensues because Loxley, rather enjoying a life of kickbacks and status quo, is not going down without- well, Loxley just isn't going down. It simply isn't done. Instead he tells everyone who will listen it was all Harry's fault. Among those he tells is reporterman Frank, who, apparently having forgotten how bad he felt about that revenge play he cooked up with the bonkers actress, lets himself be vaguely coerced by his boss into writing an article with similar effect. Perhaps even more so, given it names HARRY SELFRIDGE, PURVEYOR OF TOTALLY CRAP SHOES TO OUR BRAVE BOYS AT THE FRONT.

by Anonymousreply 17405/04/2014

Much umbrage ensues. Sawdust tumbles down the face of wooden Mrs. Selfridge - although she has a vaguely Joan Collins' moment that amounts to nothing behind Harry's desk and bitches a bit at her fat friend the club owner - not Diahann Carroll, that fat white girl.

Lady May figures out Lord Loxley is really Lord Vader and she hot foots it out of the Gosford Park set and leaves him to his lonesome. She goes to Mrs. Selfridge's place to apologize and, one assumes, find a place to crash, but Mrs. S is still in her temper and that goes nowhere, though on fairly flimsy grounds. When last seen, Mae and that maid of hers were striding through the streets, looking plucky. But God knows where they’re staying because May was all like ‘oh, we’re only taking what we arrived with’, which if you ask me rather defeats the purpose of marrying up, even if it is with an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 17505/04/2014

Victor, in a fit of wiliness, tricks the repressed haberdasher into admitting his accusation against gorgeous Henri was a little bit of wishful thinking and a lot of good old British xenophobia. Armed with this information, Mr. Grove, having told Miss Mardle to keep her knees locked, marches Snipey McFashion off to the police station to get Henri his out of jail card. Which he would have done - did do - except IT TURNS OUT HENRI IS WANTED MAN FOR STEALING SOMETHING IN NEW YORK!!!

Henri is rapidly turning into the Bates of Selfridge's.

There is a slight cliffhanger involving Miss Towler, who has apparently run out of cool French hats. It looks quite grim - the camera pans down to tell you so - but in the scenes for next week Harry is back grinning up a storm and everybody seems really happy, so who fuckin’ knows?

by Anonymousreply 17605/04/2014

the french guy in that show is sex on legs.

by Anonymousreply 17705/05/2014

I'm a Masterpiece and Mystery junkie. Also hooked on EastEnders, but unfortunately that's no longer available in the US, at least not in my area.

by Anonymousreply 17805/05/2014

lol! Thanks R. Recap.

I caught the very last scene where Miss Mardle is handing Agnes a telegram.

by Anonymousreply 17905/05/2014

R Recap, thanks so much for the multiple posts.

You do re-cappers proud with your descriptions and alternate character names.

I missed last week's episode... did the Belgiun Banjo Player pluck Miss Mardle's strings? That's what I want to know!

Lord Loxley is Snively Whiplash evil... yea!

Two weeks ago Harry and Rose started sleeping together again... one scene of Priven in bed and unfortunately that man is still shaving off the fur! What a maroon.

by Anonymousreply 18005/08/2014

R Recap, I'd love if you could do this every Monday!! I watch the show, but those recaps had me literally LOL'ing 😂😂😂

by Anonymousreply 18105/08/2014

R Recap -- I am in love with you! Your recaps are far better than anything they ever had over at TWOP!

by Anonymousreply 18205/09/2014

I missed tonight's episode.

May I have recap?

by Anonymousreply 18305/11/2014

Della, I think you watched it - you just wants another fun recap from R Recap ;) (I don't blame ya!)

by Anonymousreply 18405/11/2014

I love this of my favorites. It just gets better. It's nice to have an elegant scripted series with a good storyline, some history, some interesting characters.

H8ers, shut up and get off this thread. Go watch Watch What Happens and other sophomoric shows.

by Anonymousreply 18505/11/2014

[quote] Della, I think you watched it - you just wants another fun recap from R Recap ;) (I don't blame ya!)

grinning at r184. Actually I did miss tonight's episode, but even if I didn't, you're right about R Recap and my want.

r185 +1. I would only add that I can't get enough of the costumes and sets, too. What a luxury to see those, especially compared to how cheap looking so-called reality shows are.

by Anonymousreply 18605/12/2014

How many more episodes until Miss Mardle gets some of that hot Belgian boy's dick?

by Anonymousreply 18705/12/2014

Loved that Harry coldly (but politely) declined Lady Mae's assistance. She's made some poor choices this season; I am really curious to see what happens with her and Loxley.

Delphine... man has she got her eye on Harry. What will she do next to ingratiate herself into his pants?

Victor and Thackery... I thought their heads would explode when Harry brought Henri back into Selfridge's.

If Miss Mardle had a 3-way with Henri and the Belguin, would she be sexually satisfied for the rest of her life?

by Anonymousreply 18805/13/2014

Miss Towler's acting style is anachronistic. Her twitchy, angsty performance is better suited for Girls than for the Edwardian and WWI eras. She would definitely fit in with the Hannah Horvath crowd.

by Anonymousreply 18905/13/2014

R Recap couldn't be bothered... bad is one thing, boring quite another. Although I did think week to week Lady May seems to be trending more and more to being secret, beneath that wig, Lady Mike. Maybe in a week or two. Going on holiday.

by Anonymousreply 19005/14/2014

Preview of this week. Did Selfridge make a big mistake here...

by Anonymousreply 19105/16/2014

According to the TV listings, this Sunday's show is the season finale, and is slotted for two hours. Does anyone know how long the actual episode is (or if they strung together two episodes)? I'm almost positive the actual content is probably 90 minutes or less.

by Anonymousreply 19205/16/2014

From Godzilla to Mr. Selfridge bump.

Season finale tonight.

by Anonymousreply 19305/18/2014

Yay! Miss Mardle is dick-whipped.

by Anonymousreply 19405/18/2014

Well, my question at R187 certainly got answered quickly! That Miss Mardle is a PLAYA!

by Anonymousreply 19505/19/2014

Glad Delphina got the heave ho

by Anonymousreply 19605/19/2014

But, r196, she's scorned. I think she'll get hove he and be back.

I'm sorta disappointed that Lady Loxley isn't a villain.

by Anonymousreply 19705/19/2014

So Rose chooses to tell Harry she's about to die MINUTES before they're going downstairs to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner with their family? Debbie Downer!

by Anonymousreply 19805/19/2014

R20 -- are you saying Piven is a 'mo? I had a crush on him back when he was a regular on Ellen's sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 19905/19/2014

Such hot men pining for such plain women

by Anonymousreply 20005/19/2014

We need to see Henri Leclair naked.

by Anonymousreply 20105/19/2014

I have seen Monsieur Henri naked many, many times. Vive la France !

by Anonymousreply 20205/20/2014

[quote]the french guy in that show is sex on legs.

Be sure to watch him in Spiral on Netflix streaming. Delicious.

by Anonymousreply 20305/20/2014

The Belgie's no slouch in the looks department, either.

by Anonymousreply 20405/20/2014

I have seen Belgie naked many, many times.Vive la Belgium !

by Anonymousreply 20505/20/2014

The actor who played Lord Loxley must have had a blast playing such an awful person. His line of "on your knees" when he threw money at Lady Mae was so perfect.

Mae's smackdown of Loxley and her very subtle cat fight with Delphine were great fun to watch.

So, all's right in the love department at Selfridge's... Miss Mardle is getting schtupped by Florian, hopefully Agnes gets enough of Henri to last the war before he ships out for France, and I'm thinking Kitty's playing footsie with the journalist (does her rug match the curtains?).

I wonder what year it will be when the series returns next year?

by Anonymousreply 20605/20/2014

I think I read it will be 1919. I could be wrong. I watch and read about WAY too much TV.

I love Mr. Selfridge.

Beautiful sets, costumes, men--I can't keep all the characters straight, b/c I am a multitasker and do other stuff while watching TV.

The ginger guy with the beard gives me an erection every time.

by Anonymousreply 20705/20/2014

Loved when Lady Mae said to Lord Loxley, "you SMALL man" I think she was referring to his peen, can I get a witness.

by Anonymousreply 20805/20/2014

Ah yes...a small man in EVERY way

by Anonymousreply 20905/20/2014

"The ginger guy with the beard gives me an erection every time."

He's also on Season 1 of Spy. If you live in the NYC area, it plays on Friday night at 9:30 on PBS Channel 21

by Anonymousreply 21005/20/2014

So far season 3 is THE WORST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 21104/06/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!