Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

So sad..13 year old Maine girl commits suicide after school bullying. Brother says she was trying to figure out her sexuality.

Relatives of a 13-year-old Maine teenager, Kitty McGuire, who committed suicide last week, say the teenager was bullied in the months leading up to her death. Her family described her as a young teen who was different from most of her peers.

Timothy McGuire, Kitty’s brother, told the Portland Press Herald that Kitty was targeted by fellow students because she was trying different ways to express herself.

“She was trying to figure out her sexuality,” he said. “She was trying to figure out who she was.”

Kitty tried expressing herself differently by dying her hair and wearing unusual earrings and unusual clothes, including some all-black outfits, he said.

According to a description for a Facebook Tribute page dedicated to Kitty McGuire: “She was a good child, but because she was bi people were cruel to her. May she rest in peace, and she is gone but not forgotten. Kitty Mcguire 3~26~13″

Heather Perry, superintendent of Regional School Unit 3, said McGuire was subjected to at least three incidents of teasing that were “not bullying” or harassment.

On Monday, 20 students and family members participated in a demonstration to draw attention on Kitty’s death and say that bullying was what drove Kitty to commit suicide........

by Anonymousreply 5204/04/2013

They need to start passing laws against this kind of bullying, so sad

by Anonymousreply 104/03/2013

[quote]Heather Perry, superintendent of Regional School Unit 3, said McGuire was subjected to at least three incidents of teasing that were “not bullying” or harassment.

Heather Perry needs to die in a grease fire. Let's get the bitch fired. She does not deserve to be a superintendent if she doesn't understand how bullying can destroy a person. If she doesn't see 'teasing' as a problem, she will do nothing to prevent it in the future.

by Anonymousreply 204/03/2013

R2 I will bring the grease you bring the matches

by Anonymousreply 304/03/2013

Superintendent Heather Perry

RSU 3 Central Office

84 School Street

Unity, ME 04988

hperry@rsu3.org

207-948-6136

by Anonymousreply 404/03/2013

What a bitch the superintendent and how sad that another child has died because the kids around them thought they were weird.So sad

by Anonymousreply 504/03/2013

Go after the parents of the bullies.

by Anonymousreply 604/03/2013

Too bad she didn't have an assault weapon and take out every one of those human vermin.

by Anonymousreply 804/03/2013

I think they just kind of blew off her uncle's suicide in this article, like "Oh yeah, there was that." It appears he lived with her, like her "brother" Timothy, who is actually her uncle.

Her parents are not in the picture. She lives with her grandfather and uncle, who says he is her brother. Her other uncle-brother committed suicide last year at this time.

Sounds like the poor girl had lots of emotional upheaval in her life.

by Anonymousreply 1004/03/2013

Most girls aren't sex-obsessed at 13.

by Anonymousreply 1104/03/2013

What is the point of that statement from the principal? Is she fucking stupid, or just self-destructive? Does she think that her opinion of what the behavior should be termed will change how people will respond to what's happened?

by Anonymousreply 1204/03/2013

r11, go talk to Justin Bieber.

by Anonymousreply 1304/03/2013

Fucking straight, cement-head teens are fucking savages. It's so tragic how dangerous, and threatening our young people are, all with the blessing of the adults in their lives. Horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 1404/03/2013

Someone needs to form a posse and go visit that Superintendent and not bully and harass her a bit.

by Anonymousreply 1504/03/2013

[quote]What is the point of that statement from the principal? Is she fucking stupid, or just self-destructive? Does she think that her opinion of what the behavior should be termed will change how people will respond to what's happened?

It seems like a fairly obvious CYA maneuver.

by Anonymousreply 1604/03/2013

I was pretty sex obsessed at 13, those were the high hormonal changes.

by Anonymousreply 1704/03/2013

13 year old girls don't want to fuck Justin Bieber. They want to make out with him, not let him get to first base and show all the other girls their cute boyfriend.

They like Justin Bieber precisely because he is sexually non-threatening to them. He doesn't look like a mature man who might want to fuck them. He looks like a eunuch.

by Anonymousreply 1804/03/2013

Girls reach puberty on average a few years before boys do. It seems as though this was the perfect storm, her uncles suicide, her sexual identity confusion, and the constant bullying pushed her over the edge. No one just decides to kill themselves. It is many factors that come together at the right point in time.

by Anonymousreply 1904/03/2013

Dear Ms. Perry,

I respectfully ask you to reconsider your use of the word 'teasing' with regard to the recent suicide of Kitty McGuire. Bullying is rampant within the school systems and your dismissal of this incident as merely teasing does an injustice to this poor girl and her family. Also, you should let her classmates grieve and show their respect and support in whatever manner they feel is appropriate. To silence them is to show ignorance and disrespect of the grieving process and stifles an attempt to bring bullying within your schools out in the open. I understand that it would be uncomfortable for you for the truth to come out, but you must accept that the girl was bullied and work to alleviate this menace. If you do not accept that she was bullied, you will do nothing to prevent these incidents in the future.

Regards,

by Anonymousreply 2004/03/2013

A-grade

by Anonymousreply 2104/03/2013

In the old days kids would just go with the flow, fake it, keep silent. Just try to survive. Now they feel the need to announce things.

Beat them at their own game. You won't have any power to control your life (or have anyone really protect you) until you're an adult. Lay low.

by Anonymousreply 2204/03/2013

r22, laying low just keeps the cycle going. The more people push back against the scum, the better things get. I understand the motive for staying in the closet, but in the long run, it's better for everyone to be out if possible.

by Anonymousreply 2404/03/2013

Excellent email Ciaran.

by Anonymousreply 2504/03/2013

R20, thanks for your heartfelt post. We all feel the loss, but do you really think I am going to risk my job by admitting that she was bullied.

by Anonymousreply 2604/03/2013

Yes, good work.

by Anonymousreply 2704/03/2013

[quote] he looks like any ordinary teen guy.

Ha, ha ha! My son is a teen boy and nobody he goes to school with looks like Justin Bieber. They make fun of him and say he looks like a girl. And they're a pretty diverse lot. White, Asian, Mexican, Native American. One of my son's best friends since kindergarten is gay and told me he thinks Bieber looks like a cutesy stuffed animal that a toddler would drag around.

And just in case you're wondering, nobody bullies my son's gay friend. He started eating lunch with the girls in 6th grade and going to Lady Gaga concerts and all the kids went, "OK, Ryan's gay." It was no big deal. They're not as close as they used to be because my son loves sports and his friend couldn't care less about sports and is accident prone. But my son would still deck anybody if they dared to pick on Ryan.

by Anonymousreply 2804/03/2013

R22 It is with the 24/7 news cycle that we hear these stories now. Do you think kids did not commit suicide in the past from bullying. Today it can be more severe because the bullying continues outside of the school and online through social media. Its a vicious cycle that should be vocalized more. Perhaps it will not solve the problem entirely, but it will make others aware to stand up for those being bullied.

by Anonymousreply 2904/03/2013

Jesus fucking Christ---when will it end? Our young ones are killing themselves because some microcephalic fucktards think it's ok to gay bash?

BEAUTIFUL email, Ciaran. Very eloquent. I hope it gets results.

Kitty---I hope you're at peace now,angel.

by Anonymousreply 3004/03/2013

She looks rather, ummm, interesting???

by Anonymousreply 3104/03/2013

r6, you're naive.

Why do you think Columbine happened? Watch Heathers again, if you haven't already. Christian Slater's character is Eric Harris in a nutshell, up to and including the father.

This is not just kids against kids; it is culture against culture, including the adults.

I faced this myself, and it was not me against bullies and the school did nothing. It went way beyond that.

I had a couple of teachers who had the decency to tell me the truth, i.e., it was the entire culture at this particular school, including the parents.

by Anonymousreply 3204/03/2013

[quote]It's sad, but do kids really need to be expressing any kind of sexuality at 13, gay or straight?

Straight girls that age are allowed (and even encouraged) to be open about their crushes on boys. It's a normal, healthy part of adolescence and self-discovery. There's nothing weird, inappropriate, or overtly "adult" about hetero adolescents expressing which gender they like, so why the fuck shouldn't gay adolescents be allowed the same ability to be open about who they are?

[quote]13 year old girls don't want to fuck Justin Bieber. They want to make out with him, not let him get to first base and show all the other girls their cute boyfriend.

Please speak for yourself. I discovered masturbation at age nine, and actively (albeit privately) wanted to have sex with another person by age eleven. It wasn't something I openly discussed with anyone, and it didn't happen until I was much older, but that doesn't mean that the desire and intent weren't there.

What you're describing is more like how I felt about my school crushes when I was seven. I didn't really know what sex was and didn't yet have any desire to have it, but I knew that I wanted to kiss the boys I liked and walk around with them on my arm.

by Anonymousreply 3304/03/2013

Is there any national laws against bullying or at least a national plan to deal with this issue. It pisses me off every time i hear of another teen suicide because of bullying

by Anonymousreply 3404/03/2013

:(

by Anonymousreply 3504/03/2013

R2, she's just saying that b/c of legal reasons. Everyone with a head knows it kills. Save your vendetta and go where you are really needed. Choose not slacktevism.

by Anonymousreply 3604/03/2013

Bieber is 19 and looks very much like a man to a 13-year-old girl. Most girls that age aren't going to want to fantasize about a 30-year-old, but they'll be more than happy to fantasize about a fellow teenager.

by Anonymousreply 3704/03/2013

R38, if you think that R9's post is so appalling to your thin-skinned self, then DL really is NOT the place for you to set up camp.

by Anonymousreply 3904/03/2013

She sent me a very nice - and long - email thanking me for my concern and explaining that there are two investigations being conducted - one by the sheriff's office and one by the school district. It was quite detailed and she included attachments of the anti-bullying policies and procedures of the school district.

by Anonymousreply 4004/03/2013

I know this is mean, but I have a feeling the family is looking for a payday. Just the fact that the uncle has been identifying himself as her brother sets off an alarm.

by Anonymousreply 4104/04/2013

My email, not nearly as concise or well written as cirian's, but it was heartfelt. I included the following link which includes the definition of bullying.

Dear Ms. Perry, It saddened me to hear of the recent suicide of student Kitty McGuire. Equally as shocking and disturbing to me was your response to her recent experiences of being bullied. Being in your position and working with and for children for so many years I would presume you to know the definition of bullying. Even more importantly, I would expect you to understand and empathize with the emotional, social, and psychological effects victims must work through as the result of being bullied (teased).

My intent in writing to you is my hope that you will use your position and power to change how your school system views bullying. When a student is being teased, call it what it is- bullying, for that is how the victims view it. That is how the victims FEEL it. Sadly, it hurts and the wounds can and often do last a lifetime. Denying a student was bullied and reporting that she was only teased, as if that shouldn't hurt or have an ill effect on a person is insulting to the victim, the family, and other victims. It also redefines what bullying is to your entire school district and public. Teasing is a component of bullying and should not be permissible in any school.

Thank you for taking the time to read my email. I hope you will make things right and acknowledge, publicly, that the teasing Kitty endured is bullying by another, less offensive name and that bullying aka teasing will not be permitted In any of your schools.

by Anonymousreply 4204/04/2013

R41 I would say that is a pretty ridiculous comment.

by Anonymousreply 4304/04/2013

"The more people push back against the scum, the better things get."

Disagree. Bullies are desperate for attention (and from what I see and hear, bullying is an epidemic). They probably have their own nightmarish home life and they are using beating other kids as a cry for help.

You will never "cure" bullying, just like you will never "erase crime" or "win the War On Drugs" or "cure sociopaths".

The only way to fix the way kids beat, stalk and harrass other kids is to remove the perps from that environment and place them in some kind of reform school. And we know parents would never tolerate that happening to their little darlings.

And btw, they learn this shit at home so don't count on any real parental support.

by Anonymousreply 4404/04/2013

What's really sad, is MILLIONS of people around the world get bullied. Some in places like Syria and India they have REAL problems, yet they don't kill themselves, because their PARENTS, teach them how to cope and have self-esteem.

This girl was reared poorly by her parents. If she can't cope with some high school bullying, she wouldn't have made it in the real world anyway.

by Anonymousreply 4504/04/2013

Thanks for sticking up for this girl, Ciaran. It's nice to see a gay man be as upset by bullying and abuse targeted at bisexual/lesbian girls as bullying and abuse targeted at gay boys, for a change.

by Anonymousreply 4604/04/2013

Your stupidity is hilarious, R45. I can't even be upset by it.

by Anonymousreply 4704/04/2013

[quote] This girl was reared poorly by her parents.

She lived with her grandfather and her uncle-brothers until one of them killed himself last year.

It would be interesting to know what their home lives were like. Two suicides in one family within a year.

by Anonymousreply 4904/04/2013

[quote]Fucking straight, cement-head teens are fucking savages.

You've obviously never experienced a pack of vicious queens in gay bar.

by Anonymousreply 5004/04/2013

R45 Read your facts before you comment. Dumb ass

by Anonymousreply 5104/04/2013

I'm sad that 13 year olds have to figure out their sexuality already...WHET childhood?

by Anonymousreply 5204/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.