Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Merchant/Ivory era almost over

Ruth Prawer Jhabvala dies.

by Anonymousreply 2304/04/2013

She didn't write the screenplay for Maurice.

Is there any story there about why she didn't? I mean could they have wanted her on it, but she had trouble with the subject matter?

by Anonymousreply 104/04/2013

I watched and enjoyed A ROOM WITH A VIEW again last week, and want to re-see MAURICE too. Interesting she didnt script Maurice, but as I imagine she was a Muslim maybe she felt she could not do it justice, but of course Ivory and Merchant were a gay couple ... Kit Hesketh-Harvey who did script is well-known in gay circles here in UK. Her others like HEAT AND DUST are good too.

by Anonymousreply 204/04/2013

What was the last film the guys did together and has is the remaining partner continued producing?

by Anonymousreply 304/04/2013

I always assumed she was Indian.

by Anonymousreply 404/04/2013

She wrote an ABC Afterschool Special that wasn't even nominated for the Daytime Emmy.

Talk about being robbed!

by Anonymousreply 504/04/2013

R3, the last film all three of them (Merchant, Ivory and Jhabvala) collaborated on was Le Divorce in 2003. The last film Merchant produced before he died in 2005 was The White Countess, which Ivory directed but was written by Kazuo Ishiguro (who wrote the novel The Remains of the Day).

Ivory and Jhabvala made one other film together without Merchant, The City of Your Final Destination, which had a limited release in 2010. Not too many people saw it, but it was notable as it reunited the filmmakers with Anthony Hopkins (who apparently swore he'd never work with them again after Surviving Picasso).

Merchant Ivory had been making films together since the 60s, but had their heydey in the late 80s and early 90s. Their last truly successful film was The Remains of the Day. The follow-up to that film, Jefferson in Paris, was a high-profile flop, and they never had a big film after that (though the little-seen 1998 movie, A Soldier's Daughter Never Cries is really good and underrated). Ivory is obviously the last surviving member of the team, and he's 84. He hasn't directed anything since 2009, but I read recently that he was hoping to make a Shakespeare adaptation -- in 3D!

I think Ivory and Jhabvala lived in the same building in NY or something. Or very close to each other. And they would see each other every day.

by Anonymousreply 604/04/2013

She was the daughter of German Jews R2, not Muslim.

by Anonymousreply 704/04/2013

Kate Hepburn said Ruth Prawer Jhabvala writing was a 'bore' (her words)

by Anonymousreply 804/04/2013

The era was over after remains of the day.

by Anonymousreply 1004/04/2013

R9 she wrote the Lesbian drama The Bostonians.

So I doubt she was a Homophobic bitch

by Anonymousreply 1104/04/2013

You, R9, are the cunt. She didn't write the script because she didn't think it was one of Forster's better novels and she couldn't figure out how to write it. The woman was best friends/housemates with two gay men for 50 years. Homophobic? Die in a fire.

by Anonymousreply 1204/04/2013

[quote] she couldn't figure out how to write it.

And she figured out how to write for Lesbians in The Bostonians?

by Anonymousreply 1304/04/2013

The lesbians in that film were implied; their relationship was only in their minds . . . or at least in the mind of one of them.

by Anonymousreply 1404/04/2013

Glenn Close was suppose to be in The Bostonians, but she ditched the film to do The Natural instead. She was replaced by Vanessa Redgrave.

by Anonymousreply 1504/04/2013

[quote]as I imagine she was a Muslim

She was Jewish, born in Germany. Jhabvala is her husband's name, and Indian Parsi.

by Anonymousreply 1604/04/2013

From The New Yorker:

by Anonymousreply 1704/04/2013

"but as I imagine she was a Muslim maybe she felt she could not do it justice"

Had she been Muslim, I highly doubt she would have avoided Maurice for religious reasons.

But, as been said, she was not a Muslim.

by Anonymousreply 1804/04/2013

I was sure she was Indian, interesting that she was a German Jew who married an Indian and moved to Delhi, then back to America when she got fed up with India. Interesting life whichever way one looks at it. But were Merchant & Ivory definitely a gay couple, or just 2 gay friends?

Merchant was famous or notorious for producing those films and attracting those casts on very small budgets and not paying them much, but it seems they had fun and great meals (cooked by Merchant) while making them ...

by Anonymousreply 1904/04/2013

I imagine that R2 *thinking* she was a Muslim inhibited her from doing non-Muslimy things throughout her life.

by Anonymousreply 2004/04/2013

Merchant and Ivory gave their films a patina of classiness by adapting great works of literature, but they were pretty stodgy and unimaginative filmmakers. They clicked with the Forster books and "Remains of the Day," but most of their films were nice-looking bores.

by Anonymousreply 2104/04/2013

R9 is a perfect example of the kind of moron that spews its bitter rage all over DL, ignorant, with its facts all wrong, totally full of shit.

"Which was awesome pre-publicity for the movie." What exactly are you referring to?

(Indians, which she wasn't, aren't generally Muslims anyway, at least not those with the surname Jhabvala. Her husband was, in fact, a Zoroastrian and she was a German Jew who had to flee her homeland to escape the Nazis. And, the woman just died, have some respect, you runt.)

by Anonymousreply 2204/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 2304/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!