Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Monsanto Rotection Act signed into law - SCARY

If Obama didn't scare you before, his sneaky insertion of the Monsanto Protection Act into the spending bill should be a giant red flag.

I'm scared to think what we'll be eating in e next 10 years.

by Looking for farmlandreply 5304/04/2013

Another Article:

by Looking for farmlandreply 204/03/2013

I saw a documentary on Monsanto called Food Inc. and small farmers are being decimated by the ruthless of Monsanto.

I can't believe this is happening under a Democratic President. It affects how we eat and yet there has been no discussion on the issue. Dem or Repub does it matter? We all have to eat and Monsanto basically has a monopoly on the food chain.

by Looking for farmlandreply 304/03/2013

Where are the Repugs on this, since they're all about "small business" and family farms?

I can't say I'm happy with the president on this issue.

by Looking for farmlandreply 404/03/2013

No, this time OP is no Freeper. Obama has fucked out food supply but good and forever. Obama has always been in with Monsanto. He hired the Monsanto big wig to head the USDA in 2009. I'm sure Obama will leave office in 2016 a multi billionaire with his Monsanto blood money and we will be left with only poison to eat. What does Obama care. He and his family and their rich friends can afford real and safe food.

by Looking for farmlandreply 504/03/2013

A Republican Senator, Roy Blount from MO, snuck this into the budgetary spending bill, which needed to get signed. Admittedly, Obama signed it — and Barbara Mikulski allowed it to happen— but Blount is the Monsanto whore here. He'll try more again. Monsanto gives him a lot of money.

Anyway, it expires in six months. So if you're mad about this, be ready to fight again when something gets reintroduced. And it will.

by Looking for farmlandreply 604/03/2013

So this is how they're going to kill us, with poison. I just hope it happens soon, and is painless.

by Looking for farmlandreply 704/03/2013

R5 please pay attention to what R6 posted and get your stories straight next time. Riders on larger bills are notoriously awful ways the opposition gets to get what they want and stick it to those who get the larger bill. We hope Obama will do something about it the next time around.

The world is almost never black and white, especially in politics- unless you take the long view.

Monsanto and the even bigger problem of agriculture subsidies (which is the basis for Monsanto's influence and power$$$) require major reform. Then again, genetic engineering of produce is not nearly as dangerous as set up by those naive of what genetic engineering exactly is and is not (it is essentially the same as selective breeding only sped up.) Traditional breeding methods have produced almost every vegetable and grain we eat, none which remotely resemble their primitive forms. Sure it gets more complicated when you get into plant species with bred in (or genetically engineered) resistance traits. But the world will starve without this technology quite simply. Now the bigger problem of course is 7 billion humans. Point is, it ain't simple.

Make sure you get involved R5 next time around if you care. It helps. You may be, but you do not sound like you understand the issues in play, at all.

by Looking for farmlandreply 904/03/2013

by Looking for farmlandreply 1004/03/2013

R9 thinks that GMO food is safe. I can't believe I just read that.

by Looking for farmlandreply 1104/03/2013

R1, on what planet does being opposed to Monsanto and genetically modified Frankenfood make one a Freeper?

Obama is the one behaving like a Freeper on this issue.

by Looking for farmlandreply 1204/03/2013

There are many people who don't buy into the idea that GM food is a health threat, including many scientists. This is bad for small farmers, and isn't that enough? I don't know that we need to accept a lot of fringe science on top of that argument. No one has shown any health threat from genetically modified food. That's an issue quite separate from Monsanto's ethics, or the ethics of their supporters.

by Looking for farmlandreply 1304/03/2013

Guys, it's not just about what we eat. It's about how GMOs poison the land. You know, the land that grows our food. Poisons it so that not only is the soil depleted of nutrients we need to be healthy, but the plants carry high levels of poisons and then, so do we. Human levels of toxicity (measured in the body) are already sky high. We are really screwed with this new law.

And... the rich will not be able to get better food. GMOs affect everyone. GMOs eventually wipe out heirloom, open-pollinated, organic, or any other strain of seed. They're superbugs. There is no accepting both GMO and non-GMO. Because GMO is stronger and will take over.

by Looking for farmlandreply 1404/03/2013

Anyway, can someone explain the statement in point 5 of this article?

[quote]5.) It sets a terrible precedent. Though it will only remain in effect for six months until the government finds another way to fund its operations

What remains in effect for six months? What was just passed? Earlier someone said Obama fucked our food supply for good and all.

by Looking for farmlandreply 1504/03/2013

Real science to back that up, r14?

by Looking for farmlandreply 1604/03/2013

Actually, R14, the rich will not be eating GMO's. In China, there are agricultural areas that grow only organic, non-GMO food for the super-wealthy. They know. I've read that Monsanto itself does not serve GMO food in its cafeteria.

I'm positive that giant agricultural areas are being reserved for the elite to eat non-GMO's. I wonder if it's why the Bushes have bought up most of Paraguay.

So no, they will not be eating what we will be eating.

by Looking for farmlandreply 1704/03/2013

There is someone on this board who keeps posting intentionally misleading information. This is not just garden-variety ignorance. Watch for it in these types of threads.

The bottom line is that our freedom to have unspoiled land and food is at stake. These decisions should not be made for us by one senator in the middle of the night.

by Looking for farmlandreply 1804/03/2013

There is lots of science to back up R14 which is why GMO crops are illegal in Europe.

I'm too tired to link right now, but there's a newfangled thing called Google that I see the young whippersnappers using.

by Looking for farmlandreply 1904/03/2013

Right,R18, and those of you who choose to eat GMO's can have all you want, just let the rest of us have the right to choose what we want to eat.

The sad fact is that GMO's are hidden in everything and most of us don't want that shit in our bodies.

by Looking for farmlandreply 2004/03/2013

What's disturbing is that there doesn't seem to be any balanced information available on the issue. Either the genetically modified food is harmless or is the death of us all.

My understanding is that animal studies have shown health issues. If so, why isn't the public better informed?

As with aspartame, I'd rather err on the side of caution.

by Looking for farmlandreply 2104/03/2013

[quote]OP = Freeper. F&F

In future, read before posting, R1. You're very wrong.

Thank you for this thread, OP.

[quote]What's disturbing is that there doesn't seem to be any balanced information available on the issue. Either the genetically modified food is harmless or is the death of us all.

It is dangerous.

Monsanto has a PR department and that's where any information saying such chemicals are fine and dandy is coming from.

by Looking for farmlandreply 2204/03/2013

GMOs are not inherently dangerous.

Monsanto is, however, and isn't to be trusted.

GMOs *can* be dangerous.

But then so can hybrids of produce made the old fashioned way (and there are plenty of examples where a hybrid crop -- way before GMOs -- looked good, but turned out to be toxic).

Hysteria over GMOs is self-defeating.

Not trusting Monsanto is highly justified.

There's a fine line to walk here.

by Looking for farmlandreply 2304/03/2013

GMOs = Soft Kill

The plan is depopulation and a weak population who can't rise up. The process is gradual so we spend lots of money while we're slowly dying enriching Big Pharma../GMO food is designed to do the trick...ntm, it's less messy.

Essentially, our food, air and water supplies have been contaminated by self-replicating synthetic biology that is also invading our cells. With the advent of nanotechnology, we are under assault on a scale that is too small to see, but has a profound affect on all aspects of our lives.

MYCOPLASMAS set the stage for the GMOs to infiltrate our cells. Mycoplasmas are the smallest free-living bacteria, that can assume multiple shapes including round, pear shaped and even filamentous because they LACK A CELL WALL. This makes it possible for them to pass through some filters used to remove bacteria; thus, unaffected by many common antibiotics. Because mycoplasmas have lost most of their genetic material; a strict dependence on the host for nutrients and refuge determines its ability to survive and grow.

Mycoplasma is the co-factor that alters the human immune system and opens the door for the autoimmune degenerative diseases such as AIDS, malignant transformation, chromosomal aberrations, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Gulf War Syndrome, AIDS, Alzheimer’s, Crohns Disease, Parkinson’s, Huntington’s, Lupus, Lyme disease, Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Multiple Sclerosis, Type One Diabetes and cancer.

This mindset is not evil to them - it's actually very scientific and rational according to Luciferian eugenics doctrine.

by Looking for farmlandreply 2404/03/2013

This is scary shit. I am growing my own food.

by Looking for farmlandreply 2504/03/2013

Yes, R24, to the illuminati, genocide is the right and moral way to go. They believe they are doing good work.

One popular illuminati shill is James Lovelock. In his book, The Revenge of Gaia, he clearly states that the planet will be better of without so many humans, and that nuclear war is fine because plant life bounces back so well from radiation.

These people hate humanity, with the exception of themselves and their bloodline relatives. Since all royalty and US presidents are related--Obama is cousins with Dick Cheney, Bush to the Queen of England--you bet that we, the useless eaters, have to stay alert and self-possessed through it all.

And they don't even bother to hide their intentions anymore, which is a real slap in the face. It's all out there.

by Looking for farmlandreply 2604/03/2013

Dr Oz just had a show on GMO food, and what I took away from it is that we don't yet know exactly what changing gene structure in a food does during interaction with our own genes. Consequently, what he recommended was avoiding it by buying certified organic foods, looking for non-GMO voluntary labels, and pushing for mandatory labeling of GMO food.

by Looking for farmlandreply 2704/03/2013

And a non-GMO label could just mean that wasn't tested, out of a batch of thousands of samples.

In other words, the labeling itself is not regulated and just infers that it wasn't suspected of being GMO, and therefore wasn't tested.

The whole labeling laws should be rewritten.

by Looking for farmlandreply 2804/03/2013

You won't be able to buy non-GMO seed, R25.

Monsanto has already gotten DHS to declare "organic" a biosecurity threat which puts organic into a military context and into the cross hairs of military weaponry - bioweapons.

That little section of the Monsanto rider, somehow unnoticed by those trying to stop Monsanto GMOs, could easily end all organic farming and gardening.

The food safety law already arranges for Monsanto to be in charge of farm health which allows it to order "remedies".

Pesticides now include the new Agent Orange pesticide. Not only does the bill allow them to enforce the planting or GMOs and stop the planting and transport of organic plants/trees, etc., but it allows for the USDA/FDA to order the spraying of any and all farms (including organic) with Agent Orange pesticides.

With the USDA listing earth worms as an invasive species, that alone could be used as reason to target, defoliate and thus destroy all organic farms and gardens in the US.

by Looking for farmlandreply 2904/03/2013

All of the billionaires believe very strongly in depopulation...Bill Gates being #1 with his vaccination program of death. Just check out how heavily invested he is in Monsanto. He openly talks about depopulating to ZERO.

by Looking for farmlandreply 3004/03/2013

And this is why I didn't and don't vote.

by Looking for farmlandreply 3104/03/2013

R30 = tin-hat conspiracy theorist crackpot

by Looking for farmlandreply 3204/03/2013

R32= George W. Bush

by Looking for farmlandreply 3304/03/2013

"Rotection" sounds hot. Is it some sort of kinky sex practice?

by Looking for farmlandreply 3404/03/2013

Uhm, OP? The President in not a member of Congress and cannot add, nor delete parts of legislation, but thanks for playing!

by Looking for farmlandreply 3504/03/2013

Uhm, R35? The President did not have to sign that bill, but thanks for playing.

by Looking for farmlandreply 3604/03/2013

I don't understand the need to defend Obama in all cases r35. He did sign the bill. There's no question about that. The buck has to stop with him. If the GOP keep pulling these stunts, it's up to him to say F you. I'm sending it back and letting the American people know what's holding up the Agricultural Appropriation Bill.

by Looking for farmlandreply 3704/03/2013

R37, that's why Obama's president. He can forward the NWO agenda without the scrutiny someone like Bush would get. Obama's doing the same things as Bush and the liberals are silent. It's scary as fuck and shows just how indoctrinated we are to this false two-party system. There is ONE PARTY, and it's the party of the elite.

Wake the fuck up.

by Looking for farmlandreply 3804/03/2013

From Day One, I didn't trust Barack Obama. This self-centered, vain little prick came out of nowhere, the Great Black Hope, with nothing to say but "Change." Hillary Clinton would be President now if it hadn't been for the the guilt-trip laid on the American public by stupid white blow-hards like Chris Matthews, who practically ejaculated on the air every time he mentioned Obama's name. The only thing missing was a choir singing "We Shall Overcome" in the background.

But now Matthews is disappointed in Obama! Oh, what a shame. We are stuck with three and a half more years of lies and manipulation from this bastard, and, for allaying MSNBC's white guilt, we get as door-prizes Monsanto, Keystone XL, the end of Social Security, and WWIII by the end of Obama's reign.

by Looking for farmlandreply 3904/03/2013

I agree, R39. I'm as liberal as they come, but back in '08 when everyone else was creaming themselves over him, I thought, WTF? This guy was a half-a-term state senator who showed no interest in keeping any of his promises to the people of Illinois upon being elected to Congress, and instead used that position purely as a stepping stone to advance his presidential campaign (I would know, I'm from IL). We essentially had NO idea what the fuck Barack Obama, as a human being, was like back then, but because he was handsome and gave charismatic speeches and was being shoved down our throats by the media, the cult of his personality somehow became unstoppable. He's like the liberal version of W, if you ask me - the guy left wing voters saw on TV who most provoked the feeling of "I'd really just like to have a beer with that guy."

by Looking for farmlandreply 4004/03/2013

Thank you, R40. I am a liberal Democrat who voted for Hillary in the primaries. She won my state. I always thought it was suspect that Obama got thrown into the race with so little fanfare. There were some very interesting articles being written back in 2008 about Obama's true personality. Of course, any negative press got snuffed after barely seeing the light of day, and the authors of anti-Obama literature were forever labeled "haters." Remembering this travesty makes me sick all over again.

by Looking for farmlandreply 4104/03/2013

r39 is a RACIST!!!!!!! Racist!!! Racist!!! Racist!!

by Looking for farmlandreply 4204/03/2013

Ugh, OP, you ruin your good points about Monsanot by being so ignorant of the facts.

by Looking for farmlandreply 4304/03/2013

r43 is a fool. Anything that is written in the times is totally true right?

by Looking for farmlandreply 4404/03/2013

R42 is SEXIST!!!!!!! Sexist!!!!!!! Sexist!!!!!!! Sexist!!!!!!!!

by Looking for farmlandreply 4504/03/2013

Great, so now in addition to mechanized drones watching us overhead we'll all be eating Frankenfood for the foreseeable future. And if we speak out they can just grab us off the street and put us away in Guantanamo Bay without any judicial process.

by Looking for farmlandreply 4604/03/2013

by Looking for farmlandreply 4704/03/2013

Okay, there are very real reasons to fear and hate Monsanto.

One of the very worst things they've come up with are the "Round-Up Ready" varieties of GMO plants. That is, they've developed plants which produce their own pesticide. Monsanto says this is non-toxic, but they haven't put the time into the studies to prove it. Also, in closed ecosystems (like islands), pests are already becoming resistant to this stuff. (As in, after 10 years of growing this crap, you've bred up an immune strain of insects.)

Using the example of GMO corn, you can see the devastation coming down the road - the pollen from the GMO corn is blown onto non-GMO corn and crosses with it. Of course, the GMO DNA is dominant. Now, here's the scary part - GMO infection has been found in the land races of corn in Mexico (Mexico is considered the world's living seed bank for corn - there are 1000s of varieties). Land race varieties are important to preserve intact, because that's where the genetic material for new varieties come from - especially important if you have a fungus or virus that wipes out the commercial varieties. (Think Irish Potato famine)

But the reason I hate Monsanto the most is this - they are patenting plants. As in saving your own seed from your garden is now illegal with Monsanto patented varieties. And not just food, they've been buying up flower seed companies, and also the suppliers (Siminis) for popular garden center seeds, like Burpee. If you're interested in this, Google "seed catalogs" and "Monsanto." There are a lot of pissed off home gardeners out there.

Check the link for a nifty little chart.

by Looking for farmlandreply 4804/04/2013

by Looking for farmlandreply 4904/04/2013

by Looking for farmlandreply 5004/04/2013

I see the pumas have arrived. As if the clintons aren't giant corporate whores.

by Looking for farmlandreply 5104/04/2013

Are there any threads on this story about the rich (including Denise Rich) hiding offshore money?

by Looking for farmlandreply 5204/04/2013

Obama has proven himself to be not only bad, but evil.

by Looking for farmlandreply 5304/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!