Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Trying to break the Facebook habit

I'll admit it, I have low self-esteem, and being on facebook only makes it work. Yes, pathetic, I know. So, I'm trying very hard not to view my facebook page and just let it go...don't want to deactivate it just yet.

Anyone else experience this??

by Anonymousreply 1604/03/2013

Try Tumblr

by Anonymousreply 104/03/2013

I get a weird rush of empowerment when lots of people comment or like something I do on Facebook. And then a few minutes later I feel really lame for feeling that.

by Anonymousreply 204/03/2013

I always thought Facebook was some kind of psy op to bring out as much ego in people, to keep everybody arguing and divided (not close as it claims) while banks, elite, whoever, rips us off and we do nothing about it. Look at the kids - they are getting off it in droves. It's frau city.

by Anonymousreply 304/03/2013

I never got into it. My sister was living on FB until her husband got a very high powered job and asked her to dial it back. She realized it was Bragbook more than anything, and while her intent in the first place was to reconnect with people, she really wasn't very connected to any of her Facebook friends. She's much more likely to pick up the phone and call people now (but I realize that freaks some of you out, the unplanned or unscheduled call or email!!)

by Anonymousreply 404/03/2013

Facebook either made me feel artificially fantastic or artificially low. I deactivated a couple years ago and I don't miss it at all now. You'll feel better afterwards. It's a fake environment that only exacerbates your own worse feelings about yourself and provides fake comfort that people actually care about what you have to say and do. My real friends interact and share in person, imagine that!

by Anonymousreply 504/03/2013

Proud I deactivated my account.

by Anonymousreply 604/03/2013

I rarely post anything on FB anymore. I was quite active on it during the political season, but now, not so much. I won't delete it because I consider it to be my "Rolodex" and would lose all my contacts if I got rid of it.

by Anonymousreply 704/03/2013

"Proud I deactivated my account."

Yes, because anonymously posting snarky comments on Datalounge all day and night is SO much better!

by Anonymousreply 804/03/2013

I didn't see anyone saying that it's a "better" use of time, R8, but at least on DL we're not inundated with constant bragging from real world acquaintances, which I think was the main point of this thread.

The only reason I still have facebook is that it's the main way people from my generation inform each other about parties and events. I'd be left out of a lot of social events if I didn't have it. I find myself blocking more and more people from appearing on my news feed though. Nothing like feeling depressed, and logging onto facebook and seeing that some that idiot who secretly annoys you to begin with has posted 15 new photos of themselves shrieking and holding a drink in a bar in some album entitled "mY aMazIn LyFe!!!1!"

by Anonymousreply 904/03/2013

I enjoy FB because I'm an ex-pat and it's nice to be able to keep in touch with family and friends. I feel like I've made all the contacts I want to have and I wish I had the option to just close my account to further requests. I just get so tired of these people I didn't even know in high school making friend requests. It's so stupid. Y'know, message me if you want to say hi or interact on a mutual friend's thread but you don't have to make a friend request to everybody. It's just awkward. I don't need to be the person with 750 friends. I'm happy with a double digit.

by Anonymousreply 1004/03/2013

I'm so glad I'm not young anymore, the douchebag factor is reduced each decade, and also, I don't tolerate douchebags, either on FB or in life.

I don't take Facebook seriously. It's a tool, you make it what you want it to be. I use it to see news and funny memes to give me a humerous lift throughout the day. My friends are all old too, either parents or exponetially mellowed singles who rarely post pictures of themselves drinking or being stupid. When you're in your 40's, I know this will engender lots of snark, but there's a certain level of sophistication that is expected, so the culture of my friends is about trying to provide interesting links to culture or alt politics or issues about food, lifestyle issues.

I have kept things very positive on there so I tend to have a lot of likes and sometimes, not even one, but I have a pretty good FB esteem that I don't really care, I'm posting for me. I also support people with my virtual thumbs up a lot. For me, it's a positive interaction, because that's all I want in my life now. Sorry for the longwindedness of my post, guess I think about this more than I realized.

by Anonymousreply 1104/03/2013

[quote]at least on DL we're not inundated with constant bragging from real world acquaintances

Perhaps it's time to be more selective with people you "friend" on FB.

by Anonymousreply 1204/03/2013

I'm only friends with actual people whom I want to hear from.

If they start posting crap like "please adopt this tortured puppy in Wisconsin," I hide their feeds.

Smart people don't friend drunken teen trash or fundy relatives.

by Anonymousreply 1304/03/2013

FB or otherwise, who feels "addicted to the internet"?

by Anonymousreply 1404/03/2013

I never did the whole FB thing and I am glad. I've been on the periphery of the stupidest drama caused by posts there.

by Anonymousreply 1504/03/2013

I think I might be a bit, r14, but I'm not on Facebook. Earlier this evening I forced myself to put the laptop lid down and read a book. It was so much more pleasurable than spending hours following link after link to exactly the same story I've already read ten times.

I kinda hate Facebook, though.

by Anonymousreply 1604/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.