Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Offices Versus Cubicles

Enough with the cubicle queen comments. The business world is changing. At my company in NYC, even the most senior executives, making $300K+, will be working in cubicle-like spaces. Meanwhile, a friend of mine who works at a low-level job for Cablevision on Long Island, with no aspirations to be promoted any higher, and making about $60K a year, has an office.

An office no longer denotes status; it denotes the price of real estate where your company is located, and nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 3412/01/2013

You have a cubicle, don't you, OP?

by Anonymousreply 104/03/2013

Cubicles mean management are control freaks who don't trust their workers, all under the pretense of "openness" and "creative interaction."

by Anonymousreply 204/03/2013

Damn right r1, and it keeps getting smaller and smaller, and more "open space", and I'm fucking pissed about it.

Guess I'll take my $200K/yr salary+bonus and go sulk in a corner.

by Anonymousreply 304/03/2013

Wow, that was a pretty epic snit-fit.

by Anonymousreply 404/03/2013

I make half what OP makes, and yet I have a beautiful office with a view.

by Anonymousreply 604/03/2013

How lucky to have a cube. Our individual cubes were converted into mega cubes where 6 people are stuffed in it. :(

by Anonymousreply 704/03/2013

New build-outs are generally open concept. Not even cubes, just little head-high partitions between workspaces.

I used to work in a NYC downtown office where the offices were all on the interior so had no windows, and the cubes were on the perimeter so the cube dwellers got the gorgeous river & Statue of Liberty view.

I have a huge office now and it's a total waste of space. I have a nice window view though so I'll take it.

by Anonymousreply 804/03/2013

Offices are being done away with because they take up too much space and are permanent, whereas cube areas can be reconfigured cheaply and you can pack more people in the same footprint.

The old days of corner offices holding any prestige are a relic of another time. The only people in offices are HR cunts, legal, and "visitor" offices, which get used for interviews (and layoffs).

by Anonymousreply 1004/03/2013

Well, so glad I reached the point in my career when I would have gotten an office at the precise moment when offices are becoming "relics".

by Anonymousreply 1104/03/2013

You should consider yourself lucky to have a cube. These days a lot of the hottest companies like Facebook and Twitter just have open spaces where you sit communally at a long cafeteria table.

by Anonymousreply 1204/03/2013

Before I retired, I had a large office with a wall of windows overlooking the city where I worked. It was wonderful. Outside my office was my stff - they all had cubes, but we made sure that their cubes all had a clear view of the windows so they didn't feel cooped up. They only problem they had was noise. That's the one downside to cubes - they're too open and don't allow for privacy and quiet.

by Anonymousreply 1304/03/2013

I have a large office but we may switch buildings and use cubes.

by Anonymousreply 1404/03/2013

[qote]Guess I'll take my $200K/yr salary+bonus and go sulk in a corner.

Tacky and déclassé .

My experience has been people who go around bragging about how much they make tend to be lying.

by Anonymousreply 1504/03/2013

But I, I said, I, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I, then I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler.

by Anonymousreply 1604/03/2013

Thank you R16. I was waiting to see how long someone would go there :-)

by Anonymousreply 1704/03/2013

Glad I quit that work shit.

Corporate America has just gotten worse and worse and worse.

by Anonymousreply 1804/03/2013

I worked in a job where I had to do a lot of writing. I had an office until my firm moved to a new building that had an open office plan. The noise was beyond distracting and it also became clear as to who did the most work.

by Anonymousreply 1904/03/2013

OMG, r9, I work there, too.

by Anonymousreply 2004/03/2013

I work in a company that still maintains the office versus cubicle hierarchy. All managers and directors, plus the office manager and of course the CIO, have proper offices, some with windows. I'm in the cubicle area, although I have to say there are people with multiple masters degrees and advanced clinical training out in the cubes, just because they don't have a manager or higher title. Our cubes are awful. I would much prefer the low ones so I could see around the office, in my experience the lower cubicles actually self-polices the sound of loud conversations or phone calls and gives a certain flow to idea transfer that is harder than in a tall box. Because that's what I'm in: a tall box. The cubicle wall are about 5'11" tall and I'm 5'10" so I have to stand and tip-toe to look over the wall.

People around me practically shriek in their cubes and the pod of cubicles in my area face a wall so the sound ricochets. This queen that sits in front of me insisted he needed a cordless headset for his phone, but the effect is that he sort of boomingly projects his voice to his callers. I hear everything. Unfortunately I think I have some sensory issues because the noises distract me badly, I stay hours late every night because the office quiets down after 4:30 or so.

A bunch of us are being moved around the block to a different office but they didn't take my cubicle wall suggestion. It's the same tall beige walls, and I've heard the floors are wood there so I'm fucked, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 2104/03/2013

Yes... we'd hate for anyone to be able to pick their nose in private said stupid manager. Let's design a square fishbowl so everyone is even more miserable here (sigh)

by Anonymousreply 2204/03/2013

Cube or not, be thankful you all have jobs.

by Anonymousreply 2304/03/2013

Greetings R20!

by Anonymousreply 2404/03/2013

[quote] so I'm not sure why I have an office

We voted for you to have an office.

by Anonymousreply 2504/03/2013

Brandon thinks he has work friends but in fact, they all seethe in jealousy of his undeserved office and will backstab him at the first opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 2604/03/2013

I was in an office 5 years ago. Five years later, I'm in a higher level position for the same company and I'm now in a cube.

Them's the breaks.

Hoping to retire in the next 5-10 years, so I'll deal with whatever it takes to get there.

by Anonymousreply 2704/03/2013

I have an office. It overlooks Beverly Hills and Century City. I'm very fortunate. I try to make sure I take in the view several times each day. Some of the folks I work with don't notice their views. I feel like they are missing out on something right in front of them.

by Anonymousreply 2804/04/2013

I work in an office that was divided into two cubicles. My co-worker and I get along though. I could care less about the view, I just want a quiet office by myself. Never gonna happen, and open space is even worse.

R2 is right on the money.

by Anonymousreply 2904/04/2013

The receptionist in an office when I used to work called them "cuticles."

by Anonymousreply 3004/04/2013

No office, no cubicle. I work from home and would have it no other way. And I make more than the douchey OP.

by Anonymousreply 3104/04/2013

When we moved into a new office space a few months ago, the build out was done with an open concept. There are still mostly offices along the windowed exterior periphery but almost all of he offices have floor to ceiling glass along the front wall so the cubes have access to light, etc. When we all went in for the tour as it was being built there was one office that was slightly off the grid that is a tiny bit smaller but doesn't front the main corridor and has no glass front. At first no one wanted it but then I realized it was the only one that was actually private!! What a good call - I love it!! No one realized how annoying it is to be in a fishbowl until we were all moved in!!

by Anonymousreply 3204/04/2013

I used to believe working from home might get lonely. Now I dream of working from home, and have been thinking about it for the past year.

by Anonymousreply 3304/04/2013

[quote]The old days of corner offices holding any prestige are a relic of another time. The only people in offices are HR cunts, legal, and "visitor" offices, which get used for interviews (and layoffs).

Where I work, even HR are in cubes and don't have offices. The only people who have offices are the executives - that's it.

I'm in a cubicle and I would love to have an office, but I'm thankful that at least it's not one of those cafeteria style layouts where everyone just sits at tables together.

My dream is to work remotely from home.

by Anonymousreply 3412/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.