Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Best French actress ?

Take the poll:

by Anonymousreply 13407/30/2013

OP, babe, you left out Marion Cotillard.

Dorleac shouldn't be on this list.

Then there's the small matter of Sandrine Bonnaire, for whom I would have voted.

I went for Huppert instead, who is a formidable talent yet limited.

by Anonymousreply 104/03/2013

Emmanuelle Riva

by Anonymousreply 204/03/2013

r2, Riva gave one of the strongest performances of all time, but has a slim body of work. Is she better than Huppert and Adjani who've turned in countless great performances?

by Anonymousreply 304/03/2013

Isabelle Huppert hands down.

by Anonymousreply 404/03/2013

Elles sont tous les plus grosse salopes du cinéma!!

by Anonymousreply 504/03/2013

Arletty

by Anonymousreply 604/03/2013

Jeanne Moreau in Querelle.

by Anonymousreply 704/03/2013

Simone Signoret was terrific in the few roles she did. Her husband, interestingly, was also a highly acclaimed director.

by Anonymousreply 804/03/2013

I won't be part of any thread infested by the Streep Troll (tm). You just know that by the end this thread will be completely ruined by this demented piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 904/03/2013

You want histrionics, move over to the Italian actresses thread. Italians don't do subtle.

by Anonymousreply 1004/03/2013

It is inexcusable that Yvette Mimieux, Jacqueline Bisset, and Julia Louis-Dreyfus are excluded.

by Anonymousreply 1104/03/2013

Huppert, no fucking question.

THREAD CLOSED.

by Anonymousreply 1204/03/2013

Lolo Ferrari

by Anonymousreply 1304/03/2013

Adjani for sure.

by Anonymousreply 1404/03/2013

And where is Nathalie Baye OP ?

by Anonymousreply 1504/03/2013

It's a toss-up between the two Isabelles.

by Anonymousreply 1604/03/2013

I have so many.

Fanny Ardant

Emmanuelle Beart

Melanie Laurent

Irene Jacob

Audrey Tatou

Dominique Sanda

Bridget Bardot

Nathalie Baye

by Anonymousreply 1704/03/2013

Pam St Clement

by Anonymousreply 1904/03/2013

Where is Juliette Binoche, OP?

by Anonymousreply 2004/03/2013

Never heard of any of them

by Anonymousreply 2104/03/2013

Where is Sophie Marceau????????

by Anonymousreply 2204/03/2013

"Riva gave one of the strongest performances of all time, but has a slim body of work. Is she better than Huppert and Adjani who've turned in countless great performances?"

Her body of work may not rival Huppert's but it certainly surpasses Adjani's, with due respect to her.

To Amour, one must add Riva's superb work in Therese Desqueroux, Leon Morin, Priest, Hiroshima mon Amour, Kapo and Adua and her Friends, among others.

by Anonymousreply 2304/03/2013

r18, r11 was joking.

by Anonymousreply 2404/03/2013

Oh. LOL at me.

by Anonymousreply 2504/03/2013

It's ok, r25

by Anonymousreply 2604/03/2013

I eat shit.

by Anonymousreply 2704/03/2013

Kristen Scott Thomas although British, acts a lot in French films.

by Anonymousreply 2804/03/2013

As do I.

by Anonymousreply 2904/03/2013

Crepes Suzette

by Anonymousreply 3004/03/2013

Where is Celine Dion?

by Anonymousreply 3104/03/2013

Jodie Foster acted in a French film, A Very Long Engagement.

by Anonymousreply 3204/03/2013

Marion Cotillard

by Anonymousreply 3304/03/2013

[quote] Kristen Scott Thomas although British, acts a lot in French films.

Ok then what about me ?

by Anonymousreply 3404/03/2013

r34 meet r29

by Anonymousreply 3504/03/2013

As much as it thrills me to see Françoise Dorléac get recognition, I don't think she merits being on this list. There are a number of other exceptional French actresses to choose from – Romy Schneider, Annie Girardot, Miou-Miou, Emmanuelle Béart, Catherine Frot, Nathalie Baye, Juliette Binoche, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Sophie Marceau, Audrey Tautou...

by Anonymousreply 3604/03/2013

Dorleac died when she was 25 years and her career was still in relative infancy.

by Anonymousreply 3704/03/2013

Why no love for Celine Dion?

by Anonymousreply 3804/03/2013

I love Romy Schneider, but she is Austrian/German. Worked in French film, however. Does that count?

by Anonymousreply 3904/03/2013

R39, Romy Schneider became a French citizen back in the 1960s, lived primarily in France, and contributed immensely to French cinema. The "Prix Romy Schneider" is awarded annually to up-and-coming actresses in the French film industry. So I would say, "Oui. She counts."

by Anonymousreply 4004/03/2013

Velvette Cochon

by Anonymousreply 4104/03/2013

I love Catherine Deneuve and she is always at the top of any "most beautiful women" list but a great actress she is not.

Although she's still better than a ton of famous American actresses.

by Anonymousreply 4204/03/2013

LMAO...OP probably caused the Marion Cotillard troll to go on a murderous rampage!

by Anonymousreply 4304/03/2013

Where is Marie Falconetti?

by Anonymousreply 4404/03/2013

This poll is invalidated by the absence of Juliette Binoche.

by Anonymousreply 4504/03/2013

Agree with r45. And why did you just concentrate on older actresses, OP?

You totally blew it.

by Anonymousreply 4604/04/2013

Juliette Binoche and Marion Cotillard should be on this list.

Brigitte Bardot, certainly not.

Sophie Marceau, what????

Romy Schneider certainly contributed to French cinema a great deal and is very much loved there, however I wouldn't say she's regarded as French. Her best films were French though, and she was a major star in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 4704/04/2013

Where is the German actress thread?

by Anonymousreply 4804/04/2013

Eva Green BABE

by Anonymousreply 4904/04/2013

OP back here, 10 obviously isn't enough!

Deneuve & Dorleac were both 60s stars, but I like Dorleac who was killed in 1967 in car accident, so I have to include her, and Bardot should be there as well ...

Cotillard is a big omission and should be included, as should Binoche.

by Anonymousreply 5004/04/2013

Thanks for listing Anouk Aimee. Wanted to be her when I grew up.

by Anonymousreply 5104/04/2013

Bardot might be iconic, she is not a good actress. She is also dumb as bricks, inarticulate and a major homophobe and racist. She publicly supports the extreme right in France, has written hateful books supporting this, and has been fined for it, as was her publisher.

Much as I love Dorleac (I don't like Deneuve), I don't see what she's doing on this list.

I'm with Anouk Aimee, Cotillard and Binoche.

I think Irene Jacob is on the list, I like her very much but she shouldn't be on the list either I don't think.

Anne Consigny is not internationally known but she is a very good actress.

Valeria Bruni Tedeschi I find very good too.

Is Arletty on the list? She has to be.

by Anonymousreply 5204/04/2013

You and me both r51 - love Anouk in Justine, Un Homme et une Femme, Lola, La Dolce Vita etc. She looks terrific now too at 80.

by Anonymousreply 5304/04/2013

Apologies, Irene Jacob isn't on the list.

More support for Anne Consigny (she's not famous enough - not even in France -, I realise that)

by Anonymousreply 5404/04/2013

Isabelle Huppert is winning the poll because she has such an international carrier and is a consumate professional. Her performances aren't always that inspired, though. More often than not she does the same thing over and over. She does pick very good material and her films tend to be at least interesting.

Juliette Binoche strikes me as a superior actress, and I am entranced with Simone Signoret. Casque d'Or, Les Diaboliques... Those just blew me away.

Anouk Aimee has class, I don't know her work well enough however.

by Anonymousreply 5504/04/2013

Jeanne Moreau is fantastic in Journal d'une femme de chambre, as is the entire cast. Not to mention the photography. What a film!

If you were going to have Danielle Darrieux, perhaps you should have Arletty as well. Also call this thread best French actresses born before the war or something.

by Anonymousreply 5604/04/2013

How about the 'honorary French' actresses:

Romy Schneider - in lots of French films, as are

Charlotte Rampling

Kirsten Scott Thomas

Jane Birkin.

by Anonymousreply 5704/04/2013

Where is the Exquisite Fanny Ardant?????????

Without Fanny and Marion Cotillard this thread is meaningless.

Of those you listed I'd puck Isabel Adjani.

BTW: Where is Leslie Caron? I love her.

by Anonymousreply 5804/04/2013

Moreau - the French Bette Davis, though she hated that label - is stunning in BAY OF ANGELS by Demy in 1963, in glittering black and white, and wearing that platimum blonde wig, as the compulsive gambler.

by Anonymousreply 5904/04/2013

We don't need Adjani, I agree. She was a star for a relatively short time and has mostly played the diva, her greatest role would be her public appearances

by Anonymousreply 6004/04/2013

OP again, there is obviously just too many French grand dames to have a list of just 10. Lets make it 20 and get them all in !

I am now off to watch Deneuve & sister Dorleac in Demy's delightfully 60s LES DEMOISELLES DE ROCHEFORT - followed by Magnani & Masina together as women in prison in a 1960 Italian rarity titled HELL IN THE CITY - I think some of it is on Youtube.

by Anonymousreply 6104/04/2013

Adjani has always been stunning on screen, she blew me away in THE HISTORY OF ADELE H when she was 19.

Huppert just does not interest me at all, and is rathe colourless.

by Anonymousreply 6204/04/2013

Ronit Elkabetz is not a French actress by a long shot, but boy she is fantastic

by Anonymousreply 6304/04/2013

Danielle Darrieux, now in her 90s, is amusing as the sisters' mother in Young Girls of Rochefort, and dig Jacques Perrin as the blond sailor, and George Chakiris and Grover Dale as the dancers with those tight 60s pants !

by Anonymousreply 6404/04/2013

R52 Brigitte Bardot is very articulate and well read even though she's not highly educated.But she thinks like an old person.Yes,she is a racist and a homophobe.And a weightist,a lookist and a xenophobe.

by Anonymousreply 6504/04/2013

Despite her being a sensation in the 50s I would discount Bardot from any poll, she never took acting seriously and only a few of her films (La Verite, Viva Maria) are watchable now.

by Anonymousreply 6604/04/2013

Huppert (who has also done a couple of bad movies) is something to behold in The Piano Teacher. It has a tad less painful realism than some of Haneke's other works, but she struck a captivating balance of a character that can only be imagined and not a character at all, but every-human trying to act out his or her rage. It may have seemed subtle, but I can't see how she could be considered uninteresting in at least that performance.

by Anonymousreply 6704/04/2013

WHET Julie Delpy?

by Anonymousreply 6804/04/2013

Dear Ethan, you must joking. Julie Delpy will never make the cut.

by Anonymousreply 6904/04/2013

Huppert, on top of everything else, showed in Eiqht Women (where she costars with many of the greats including Deneuve, Ardant, Beart and Darrieux), that she is a brilliant comedienne.

by Anonymousreply 7004/04/2013

Isabelle Huppert. No question.

by Anonymousreply 7104/04/2013

"Elles sont tous les plus grosse salopes du cinéma!!"

Elles sont TOUTES les plus grosseS salopes du cinéma!!

Quand même...

I loathe Isabelle Adjani. Her über-collagened face looks like a baby's bum.

by Anonymousreply 7204/04/2013

Why is the 'Best German actress' thread not loading?

Anyone else have this problem?

by Anonymousreply 7304/04/2013

R72 hon, you have always the right to reach for mental help in an asylum. No worries! Everything will be fine...

LOL!

by Anonymousreply 7404/04/2013

R73, yes, some jerk 'exterminated' the Best German actress thread. What a pity though. Why to do such a thing? People are strange.

*sighs

by Anonymousreply 7504/04/2013

OP's poll on Australian actresses will be missing Cate Blanchett.

by Anonymousreply 7604/04/2013

I don't think Arletty deserves to make the list, but she did give one of the best performances of all time in French cinema for Les Enfants du Paradis.

by Anonymousreply 7704/04/2013

I can never say this enough when given the opportunity on DL, but Isabelle Adjani is one of the worst actresses ever.

And for the person @ R58 who mistyped, "Of those you listed I'd puck Isabel Adjani" . . .

I think you forgot an "e" at the end of that word.

by Anonymousreply 7804/04/2013

I eat shit.

by Anonymousreply 7904/04/2013

Then somebody should start a new thread.

NEW THREAD REQUEST!

If a paying member is reading this: we need a poll thread, entitled:

"Best German actress"

as a compendium to the French & Italian threads.

Please start this very necessary and important thread for us!

The poll options should be:

Marlene Dietrich; Luise Rainer; Hildegard Knef; Lilli Palmer; Elke Sommer; Christine Kaufmann; Hanna Schygulla; Brigitte Mira; Barbara Sukowa; Franka Potente.

TIA!

by Anonymousreply 8004/04/2013

R77 Marlon Brando once said about Arletty:

"I was annoyed all these Hollywood beauties, long before I began to act in films. I fell in love only once in Arletty, after looking" Comedians. " What a wonderful movie! I went to Paris, where he met with the French star. My God, Arletty was like polished stone - smooth and radiant. However, about her character could break his teeth. She neglected everything and everyone. I will never forget as a typical provincial parvenu anger she threw an ashtray at her maid of sandalwood and immediately after that took the most seductive pose: mysterious downcast eyes, slender legs, open up to the thighs, the tip of the shadow of a smile in the lips ... "

by Anonymousreply 8104/04/2013

Oh, R78, i also forgot to mention that Marlon Brando's favorite film was "Les Enfants du Paradis"

:)

by Anonymousreply 8204/04/2013

'Isabelle Huppert is winning the poll because she has such an international carrier and is a consumate professional. Her performances aren't always that inspired, though. More often than not she does the same thing over and over. She does pick very good material and her films tend to be at least interesting'

I fully agree with this, r55. She is incredibly limited, yet masterful within her limitations - and she tackles very intellectual, offbeat material. Due to the radicalness, her work is entertaining to watch.

All these things make her seem like THE most talented, when clearly she is not.

It's comparable to how Jessica Lange is perceived as THE talent bar none, when she has played the same character over and over and OVER again, for 3 decades now. (Unlike Streep, obviously).

I still voted for Huppert, because I find her intellectualism appealing.

I wish Sandrine Bonnaire had been on the list, and find it curious nobody here has mentioned her. She is an amazing actress, and puts all her competition to shame.

Oh, and Adjani was great in 'L'ete Meurtier', 'Possession', 'Camille Claudel' and 'Adele H.' She too is limited, but easily as good as Huppert.

by Anonymousreply 8304/04/2013

*R77

by Anonymousreply 8404/04/2013

Huppert, on top of everything else, showed in Eiqht Women (...) that she is a brilliant comedienne'.

Barely, r70. Comedienne, yes. Brilliant? Uh, no.

She plays the same imperious, cold character in comedy as she does in drama.

8 Women was harldy a stretch for her.

Still love her, though.

by Anonymousreply 8504/04/2013

The Streep troll (tm)

Why isn't Celine Dion on this poll?

by Anonymousreply 8604/04/2013

Because she's Thai, and a celebrated chef, not an actress.

by Anonymousreply 8704/04/2013

Fanny Ardant

by Anonymousreply 8804/04/2013

Anna Karina

by Anonymousreply 8904/04/2013

Another vote for Binoche, whose absence left me to vote for Huppert.

She was robbed of an Oscar nom for the Unbearable Lightness of Being, as was Lena Olin.

by Anonymousreply 9004/04/2013

You guys forgot the most famous french actress Geneviève Bujold.

by Anonymousreply 9104/04/2013

New breed of french actresses are coming down the pipe!

Jessica Paré from Mad Men

Rachelle Lefevre from Twilight

Caroline Dhavernas from Hannibal

by Anonymousreply 9204/04/2013

She's Canadian, r91.

by Anonymousreply 9304/04/2013

Streep Troll people born in Quebec, Canada consider themselves French.

PERIOD

No Canadian would disagree with the statement that Quebecois people are French.

by Anonymousreply 9404/04/2013

Dion troll, nobody in France would consider a Quebecois a Frenchman.

You know that.

They're as French as Anglo-Canadians are British.

by Anonymousreply 9504/04/2013

Streep Troll just shows how ignorant you are about Canada.

[quote] They're as French as Anglo-Canadians are British.

If you ever made that announcement on the streets of Montreal you would be mobbed, and not in a good way. They would take it as an insult.

by Anonymousreply 9604/04/2013

Who cares, Dion troll?

This thread is not about them.

*Kisses*

by Anonymousreply 9704/04/2013

It is about French Actresses which Geneviève Bujold is.

So why isn't she in the poll?

by Anonymousreply 9804/04/2013

Anna Karina is Danish, r89 - though most of her career was in French films.

by Anonymousreply 9904/04/2013

The Dion troll is hoping to start a screamfest similar to the Italian actresses' thread but is failing so epically. Never mind Dion isn't even an actress and her long face could never be allowed in movies.

by Anonymousreply 10004/04/2013

NEW THREAD REQUEST!

Could a paying member please start a poll thread:

"Best Scandinavian actress?"

This is VERY much needed, to make things complete.

Poll options should be:

Greta Garbo, Ingrid Bergman, Harriet Andersson, Bibi Andersson, Ingrid Thulin, Liv Ullmann, Ghita Norby, Lena Olin, Bjork, Noomi Rapace.

(And before you object, re Bjork: ethnically, culturally & politically, Iceland is very much a part of Scandinavia. So is Finland, but she never produced an actress of worldwide fame).

TIA!

by Anonymousreply 10104/04/2013

Agreed, r100. Dion troll is failing miserably.

by Anonymousreply 10204/04/2013

Hilarious that the two OSCAR-fucking-wining French actresses were left off the list.

1. Juliette Binoche, simply one of the all-time greats in any language, male or female. I've never seen a moment in her work where she isn't alive and making the perfect acting choice.

2. Catherine Deneuve. Whoever said she's not that great is idiotic. Goddess of cinema.

3. Isabelle Huppert. I find her too opaque at times, but she makes great script choices.

4. DELPHINE SEYRIG!!!! Where is she in this discussion?

by Anonymousreply 10304/04/2013

Is Charlotte Gainsbourg considered a French or a pan-European actress? I've only seen her perform in English, but she's wonderful despite being the walking definition of jolie laide.

by Anonymousreply 10404/04/2013

R104, I guess she would be considered Anglo-French, but she was raised in Paris, so wouldn't she be considered French? Oh, but Serge Gainsbourg's parents came from Ukraine, so... I don't know.

Jeanne Moreau is also Anglo-French (mother was English), but we consider her as French as French can be. Isabelle Adjani is German-Algerian, and yet she is French!

by Anonymousreply 10504/05/2013

Its annoying the poll only has 10 choices, it needs 20 for all these French dames.

Delphine Seyrig is a key contender. She is deliciously campy and funny in lots of items, not least Daughters of Darkness and her Fairy godmother, the Lilac fairy, in Demy's Peau D'Ane (Donkey Skin).

Despite her Oscar win Binoche just does not interest me ...

by Anonymousreply 10604/05/2013

We are talking about Geneviève Bujold R100

She should also be on the list

by Anonymousreply 10704/05/2013

r107, Genevieve Bujold is not French. She's Canadian.

She's worked in some French films in French, yes, but so have Jane Fonda, Jodie Foster and Ingrid Bergman - and no one would argue that they are French.

by Anonymousreply 10804/05/2013

R108 the ENTIRE country of Canada considers Quebec a FRENCH province.

So you are right and an entire country is wrong?

by Anonymousreply 10904/05/2013

R109, in the 2006 census, 28.9% of the Quebecois identified themselves as being of French ethnicity, while 60.1% self-identified as Canadian. Only 1.9% claimed they were ethnically Québécois. Respondents were allowed to give more than one answer. So here you have a majority of Quebecois acknowledging their "Canadianness."

by Anonymousreply 11004/05/2013

Yes but a minority of Quebecois identified themselves as being of French ethnicity.

That being said a certain portion of Quebecois consider themselves French.

So Genevieve Bujold is a french actress. Why is she not on the list?

by Anonymousreply 11104/05/2013

Don't respond to the Bujold/Dion troll; it is attempting to recreate the Marisa Tomei hysteria found on the other thread, and has chosen Bujold as its vessel.

Ignore it.

by Anonymousreply 11204/05/2013

Where is Sarah Bernhardt?

by Anonymousreply 11304/05/2013

I eat French and troll shit.

by Anonymousreply 11404/05/2013

I find her intoxicating.

by Anonymousreply 11505/04/2013

lol, R112

and Bujold is "French-Canadian" or "Quebecoise"

by Anonymousreply 11605/04/2013

I like a lot Sophie Marceau. I hope she didn't do anything to her mouth though. Can you tell by this picture if she did? Maybe, it's just a bad photo. She was in a funeral in that one.

by Anonymousreply 11705/05/2013

No, it doesn't appear that she did, R117.

by Anonymousreply 11805/05/2013

I hope so R18, cause she is such a natural beauty.

by Anonymousreply 11905/05/2013

[quote] and Bujold is "French-Canadian"

So she should be put on the list

by Anonymousreply 12005/05/2013

Put Marceau on the list! Now!

by Anonymousreply 12105/05/2013

As much as I love Marion, no one can touch the holy trinity of the Isabelles and Deneuve.

by Anonymousreply 12205/05/2013

What do gay men feel about boobs? You like Sophie's boobs?

by Anonymousreply 12305/05/2013

Romane Bohringer

by Anonymousreply 12405/05/2013

Sophie, Sophie...Sophie!

by Anonymousreply 12505/06/2013

Hey, cute guys, make a thread for Best Spanish/Mexican actress as well, come on sweeties!

by Anonymousreply 12605/11/2013

Yes R126, that is much more obvious and less limited than some of the ones that have been done.

R123/R125 Sophie is a gorgeous Isabelle Adjani lookalike. I liked her in La fidélité, almost a modern day Adele H.

But of course I got that for nudity of the unbelievably gorgeous Guillaume Canet. There's plenty of threads for Marion but none for her man, the prettiest of pretty boys.

by Anonymousreply 12705/11/2013

R117, sorry to disappoint you but yes, Sophie Marceau obviously did something to her face.

R127, yes, 'La fidélité contains much nudity. There is a scene which you can see a couple of penises, a team of nude athletes celebrating their victory.(No sex between men though) However you can take a look at their penises and their asses. They are dancing, celebrating their victory together and nude!

by Anonymousreply 12806/04/2013

All this chat, and no mention of the queen of daytime tv, Megan Draper (who is French Canadian)?

Or her mother, Julia Ormond?

by Anonymousreply 12906/04/2013

I like a lot of these French actresses and grew up seeing their films, but am mystified at the recent success of Marion Cotillard - how come she is everywhere? I see nothing attractive or special about her.

by Anonymousreply 13006/04/2013

Sabine Azéma especially opposite Philippe Noiret in "La vie et rien d'autre" (Life and Nothing But).

Agree with R85 about Huppert.

Jeanne owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 13107/30/2013

Carole Bouquet gets my vote

by Anonymousreply 13207/30/2013

Another vote for Carole Bouquet

by Anonymousreply 13307/30/2013

New breed Lea Seydoux. Great in La vie'de Adele

by Anonymousreply 13407/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.