Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

To what class do DataLoungers belong? (Or, who doesn't like a quiz about class?)

From the BBC Lab UK, results of a Great British Class Survey reveal a brand new class system of seven groups. Take the quiz to see where you fit in the new class system.

The short 5-question quiz is found at the link, together with the full (20-min.) quiz, results, and background info.

[one Pound is equal to $1.50 U.S.]

by Anonymousreply 5204/04/2013

Go away tiresome brit, and take your fucking class system and your obsession of it with you.

by Anonymousreply 104/03/2013

Seems to have dropped the poll element of the post.

The "7 new classes" are:

Established Middle Class

Technical Middle Class

New Affluent Workers

Traditional Working Class

Emergent Social Workers

by Anonymousreply 204/03/2013

Elite, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 304/03/2013

Elite too. Tied more to my income and the type of people I know. I certainly didn't go to an elite school.

by Anonymousreply 404/03/2013

haha! I just took the long test and have a v nice coat of arms. here's for the 5-question test:

Emergent service worker

I was previously Precariat and may go back to Precariat once I lose my job in September.

by Anonymousreply 504/03/2013

Shabby-Genteel Underclass.

by Anonymousreply 604/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 704/03/2013

On the short quiz, I dialed down my responses to the first few questions about finances, first by one, then by two notches, keeping all other responses the same.

One category lower on all the financial questions left me in the Elite class; answering two categories lower bumped me into Established Middle Class.

by Anonymousreply 804/03/2013

Established middle class, which is odd because my "who do you know" component is all over the place and I'm a renter.

by Anonymousreply 904/03/2013

Elite, baby!

by Anonymousreply 1004/03/2013

[quote]Technical middle class - This is a small, distinctive and prosperous new class group. According to the Great British Class Survey results, lots of people in this group: Mix socially with people similar to themselves, Work in research, science and technical fields, Enjoy emerging culture such as going to the gym and using social media

Going to the gym is c onsidered "emerging culture"?

by Anonymousreply 1104/03/2013

It amazes me that the British are still so obsessed and fascinated by class, even those who would be among the "lower classes".

This sort of thing and their obsession with "royals" and such, yet so many of them scratch their heads and wonder why they became a third rate world power.

I don't get it. Why are titles and social rankings and putting labels on the haves and have-nots so very important to people in England?

It's all fine and fun for movies and TV shows, but every other advanced society on Earth at least attempts to move beyond this, all except the Brits.

by Anonymousreply 1204/03/2013

Not British. I haven't heard of "go to stately homes" as a cultural activity before. At least not as the primary purpose of an activity.

Is it the sort of thing one might cite as a hobby?

by Anonymousreply 1304/03/2013

[quote]Is it the sort of thing one might cite as a hobby?

Of course it is, R13. Haven't you ever seen Keeping Up Appearances? It's a big thing for them, driving out to big mansions inhabited currently or in the past by their beloved aristocracy.

There seems to be something inherently subservient in the DNA of your average Brit which makes them pine for the days of servitude of the masses to rich white people who lord over them.

It's a national badge of honor. Who knows why?

by Anonymousreply 1404/03/2013

We do the same thing here, and on many other US-based sites, R12; it's just couched in different terms, often (barely) disguised as joking.

"You sound/type poor."

"R[X] went to a state university."

"X shops at Walmart."

"You sound fat."

Then there are the constant "flyover" vs NYC/LA/DC/Pick a major city references.

And why is it over the last 50 or so years only jurists from the Ivies or Stanford who are ever considered for SCOTUS or POTUS? You cannot convince me Clarence Thomas or Sam Alito or W. Bush is automatically more capable just because their JDs sprout ivy.

by Anonymousreply 1504/03/2013

Was everyone honest on their responses? How can a forum filled with people talking about buying from THRIFT STORES and returning worn clothes possibly be 75% elite?

by Anonymousreply 1704/03/2013

I can't see how you could get to anything other than elite. Do you have to know only plumbers and have no assets at all?

by Anonymousreply 1804/03/2013

Does being able to take the quiz on the web automatically exclude one from "Precariat"?

Maybe it's like a Cosmo quiz designed to make all readers feel good about themselves.

by Anonymousreply 1904/03/2013

Just don't listen to hip-hop, R18.

by Anonymousreply 2004/03/2013

Elite, but I can assure you, I am not.

by Anonymousreply 2104/03/2013

I wonder what "emergant social" and "precariet" mean?

by Anonymousreply 2204/03/2013

I think technical middle class, but I couldn't figure out the pounds to dollars conversion thingy. Math is so hard...

by Anonymousreply 2304/03/2013

The Brit class system is changing, albeit slowly. Bright people turn down honours, the House of Lords was radically trimmed of hereditary peers, and The Royals can be criticised in a way unimaginable 25 years ago. The direction is clear.

Unearned deference is over, and of course the web has helped. Murdoch's agenda has also assisted. His aim has been to discredit the entrenched hierarchy and to promote ruthless free-enterprise. His paper publishes the yearly Rich List.

The UK is now obsessed more by money than class. Consumerism and buying education count for more than who your grandfather was.

Hyacinth Bouquet and Downton Abbey are the last quaint gasps. Country Houses have aesthetic and historical interest, but only dim elderly snobs indulge in nobility-worship.

by Anonymousreply 2404/03/2013

I got technical middle class, which sounds about right. "Lots of people in this group: mix socially with people similar to themselves, work in research, science and technical fields, enjoy emerging culture such as going to the gym and using social media."

by Anonymousreply 2504/03/2013

Me, too, r21.

I can only guess it's because I don't watch TV, play video games and have saved a shitload of money over the years by living like a monk.

by Anonymousreply 2604/03/2013

[quote]To what class do DataLoungers belong?

Kindergarten, mostly.

by Anonymousreply 2704/03/2013

I toured the Biltmore last year. I suppose that's going to a stately home. Elite based on income. What a stupid quiz.

by Anonymousreply 2804/03/2013

I've visited Plantation Houses in the south and other old houses in America.

Sometimes they have people there who are dressed up and pretend to be of the period of the house.

It's très amusant.

BTW, I'm elite.

by Anonymousreply 2904/03/2013

Americans as usual are deluded into thinking they don't have a class system purely because they don't have titles of nobility. Wealth, education and cultural pursuits define people in the States as much as the UK.

The myth of a 'classless' society has been drilled into the heads of Americans for far too long. Can you really claim that Mitt Romney is in the same category as someone living on an average wage, I think not.

btw I got Established Middle Class, and yes I am English.

by Anonymousreply 3004/03/2013

It's all based on income, it's the dumbest quiz ever. I answer the same for everything except income, it gave a different answer each time.

by Anonymousreply 3104/03/2013

Living paycheck to paycheck with minimal savings = "established middle class"?

It'd be funny if it weren't so depressing.

by Anonymousreply 3204/03/2013

LOL. I scored "Elite". I make 40k a year! That's retarded.

by Anonymousreply 3304/03/2013

[quote] I scored "Elite". I make 40k a year! That's retarded.

It's not just about money.

You're probably elite for a number of reasons.

by Anonymousreply 3404/03/2013

technical middle class

by Anonymousreply 3504/03/2013

[quote] It's all based on income, it's the dumbest quiz ever. I answer the same for everything except income, it gave a different answer each time.

In the short quiz, the data visualization suggests that answers are weighted most heavily on the financial questions, with each dimension of the answers on the following two pages having individually a low relative weight. This seems to match the stated methodological notes.

In the social connections questions, answering that you know socially a solicitor (or C.E.O., or university lecturer, or scientist) yields a dramatic color response relative to the response for answering in the affirmative for a secretary (or cleaner, or lorry driver). The graphic representation of the answer hints at how it's valued in terms of class category.

Income and financial assets are hardly the sole indicators of class, but neither are they divorced from the idea. The full (20-min.) quiz doesn't dwell much more on financial matters than the short quiz, rather it devotes a much greater attention to measures of social and cultural connection.

by Anonymousreply 3604/03/2013

R36 - financial matters and hold long you have had the finances should be the primary indicators. The nuevo riche are an intolerable lot.

by Anonymousreply 3704/03/2013

HOW not hold

by Anonymousreply 3804/03/2013

Elite, which I'm pretty sure I will not feel at this alumni cocktail party at a classmate's UES penthouse later this month, among the hedge fund managers and charitable board sitters.

by Anonymousreply 3904/03/2013

The quiz is based on income, which doesn't make sense since there's really very little correlation between income and class. I got 'Precariat' because I just finished university (postgrad) last year, rent a flat, and obviously am not earning much or have much in savings yet - but my family are upper class and most people would probably consider me fairly posh.

by Anonymousreply 4004/03/2013

Any of us who has taken Sosh 101 knows this analysis is silly.

by Anonymousreply 4104/03/2013

Elite. Due to my interests, the people I know socially, and my income and property.

by Anonymousreply 4204/03/2013

Emergent Service Class. Which is odd because I'm not that young and don't work in service, two key components to that sector. I do rent, but I do so because I have a rent control place that I hardly pay for.

by Anonymousreply 4304/03/2013

r42 Don't forget the fact that your shit smells like gardenias, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 4404/03/2013

I got Emergent Service Class too, I rent too. I'm not planning on staying here, why would I buy? This morning, all my Brit tweeps were taking the quiz, and I'm sure they think the class system is bunk. It was just something to do for a laugh.

by Anonymousreply 4504/03/2013

I emerged at "Elite," naturally.

by Anonymousreply 4604/03/2013

Elite. As if I needed some quiz to tell me that.

by Anonymousreply 4704/03/2013

I'm the Emergent Service Class. I make 95k per year.

by Anonymousreply 4804/03/2013

Elite - big deal. It just means you have some bucks and don't waste time on piffle.

by Anonymousreply 4904/03/2013

[quote]Elite - big deal.

Don't be such a downer.

It's a VERY big deal.

by Anonymousreply 5004/03/2013

I said I had lots of assets and no income and only hung out with educated high level people and they said I was in the lowest class. So yeah, the point of this is to make income the only yardstick.

by Anonymousreply 5104/04/2013

Well, smell you, r50!

by Anonymousreply 5204/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!