Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why hasn't Sen. Bill Nelson of Florida come out for gay marriage yet?

He won't be up for election again until 2018 and he represents a state that voted for Obama twice.

Yet this bitch can't come out for gay marriage?

by Anonymousreply 1504/05/2013

He wants to keep his seat.

by Anonymousreply 104/03/2013

Time Mag seems to think he'll be the next dem to flip.

by Anonymousreply 204/03/2013

I always thought he was an Evangelical. I could be wrong but I think he has (or had) connections to The Family. (I know his wife has been one of the organizers of the National Prayer Breakfast).

That's my guess as to what's holding him back.

by Anonymousreply 304/03/2013

You need to be a Bible thumper to get elected in rural Florida.

by Anonymousreply 404/03/2013

Yeah, what the hell is he waiting for?

by Anonymousreply 504/03/2013

Since there isn't anything for him to vote on in that regard, why should be take a position? A bit ... cautious, but I can't fault him for it at this time.

by Anonymousreply 604/03/2013

He's being asked to run for governor next year (in part to save the party from the otherwise inevitable and always inexorable Charlie Crist). I wonder if fear of soon facing the general electorate is informing his conduct.

by Anonymousreply 704/03/2013

The Mayor of Fort Lauderdale, Jack Seiler, is also "ambivalent" on the subject of same-sex marriage, and he is also thinking of running for governor.

by Anonymousreply 804/04/2013

Nelson is a DINO- that is to say, a genuine Republican pretending to be Democrat. But even some of them (Rahm Emmanuel, for example) have been pro gay marriage.

by Anonymousreply 904/05/2013

You're right about him being a DINO. He enabled Dubya Bush for eight years.

by Anonymousreply 1004/05/2013

yay my thread worked

by Anonymousreply 1104/05/2013

Rahm Emanuel is actually pretty anti-gay for a Democrat. He is the one that is rumored to have held Obama back on gay rights during the first year or so of his presidency. Other members of the Obama administration wanted Obama to move faster on certain gay rights issues - or at least court the LGBT community better - but Emanuel nixed their input every time.

by Anonymousreply 1204/05/2013

Not surprising considering people think Emanuel is a closeted mo.

He'd be fun to out. Of course if you were the one who outed him you'd be dead.

by Anonymousreply 1304/05/2013

What are you people talking about? He endorsed gay marriage yesterday:

by Anonymousreply 1404/05/2013

Florida Senator Bill Nelson, who said last week that “marriage is between a man and a woman,” said yesterday that he supports marriage equality. “If we are endorsed by our creator with rights, then why shouldn’t those be attainable by gays and lesbians?” he wrote in a statement to The Tampa Bay Times. “Simply put, if the Lord made homosexuals as well as heterosexuals, why should I discriminate against their civil marriage? I shouldn’t, and I won’t. So I will add my name to the petition of senators asking the Supreme Court to declare the law that prohibits gay marriage unconstitutional.”

Some politicians evolve slowly; others make sudden leaps. It’s phyletic gradualism versus punctuated equilibrium.

Regardless, Mr. Nelson’s reversal makes him the eighth Democratic senator to come out in support of same-sex unions in the last two weeks, and the 51st senator overall—a symbolic landmark. An outright majority of the Senate now endorses marriage equality, and it’s actually (just barely) bipartisan: The tally is 49 Democrats and 2 Republicans.

It’s possible that Mr. Nelson is the last of the current wave of converts, at least from the Senate. Only six members of the Democratic caucus have yet to jump, and they’re all from red states. Of that lot, Tim Johnson of South Dakota seems the most likely candidate since he’s announced that he will not run for reelection in 2014.

by Anonymousreply 1504/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.