Louise Fletcher

by Anonymousreply 10604/29/2013

Sandra Bullock

by Anonymousreply 104/03/2013

Tatum O'Neal

by Anonymousreply 204/03/2013

Quinn Cummings

by Anonymousreply 304/03/2013

Sandra Bullock is too recent to list. Just 3 years since she won. Much as I love her as a person and her movies are like comfort food on a rainy day, I never thought she would get nominated in the first place. However there's talk about a possible second nomination for her upcoming GRAVITY movie.

R3, Quinn Cummings didn't win the Oscar. See thread title. I would say Mary Pickford, the second Best Actress winner but never nominated again. Granted, she only made 4 movies after COQUETTE.

by Anonymousreply 404/03/2013

Linda Blair

by Anonymousreply 504/03/2013

Quinn didn't win, Vanessa did. Shirley Booth anyone?

by Anonymousreply 704/03/2013

Linda Blair didn't win an Oscar, r5. She was nominated, though.

In any case: Mercedes Ruehl, Mira Sorvino, Brenda Fricker, Olympia Dukakis, F. Murray Abraham, Mary Steenburgen, Timothy Hutton, Anna Paquin, Linda Hunt, Lou Gossett Jr., Cuba Gooding Jr., Forest Whittaker, Jamie Foxx, Marlee Matlin, Miyoshi Umeki, Haing S. Ngor, Harold Russell, Beatrice Straight, Patty Duke, Tatum O'Neal, Eva Marie Saint, Sandy Dennis, Cliff Robertson.

Seems character and/or minority and/or child actors are rarely given a second chance, whereas plastic a la Nicole Kidman is invited back all the time.

by Anonymousreply 804/03/2013

R8, Kidman was only nominated 3 times. Twice in a row (MOULIN ROUGE! and THE HOURS) and the third time 8 years later (RABBIT HOLE). I would hardly call that "all the time." Not like Streep who gets nominated for simply breathing every other year. Face it, she hasn't deserved many of her nominations, especially in the past 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 904/03/2013

[quote] Not like Streep who gets nominated for simply breathing every other year. Face it, she hasn't deserved many of her nominations, especially in the past 20 years.

Wonder how Streep troll will react to your slam comments about Meryl

by Anonymousreply 1004/03/2013

r10: by not taking them seriously.

And yes, nominating NK three times in the space of 10 years IS 'inviting her back all the time'.

Especially in light of the topic at hand.

by Anonymousreply 1104/03/2013

Streep troll reply to R9 comments about Streep getting a nomination for just breathing!

by Anonymousreply 1204/03/2013

Jennifer Hudson.

Or, was it the 'Precious' chick? I can't remember which.

by Anonymousreply 1304/03/2013

Francis McDormand

by Anonymousreply 1404/03/2013

R14 Frances has been nominated multiple times.

by Anonymousreply 1504/03/2013

Question - I don't follow the Oscars, or any awards show, as they seem pompous, pointless and I can't figure out why you would want to provide more recognition for people that are in the DL evil category of the 1%. My question is - do you guys know these facts about Oscars (or other awards shows) right off the top of your head or do you have to research?

by Anonymousreply 1604/03/2013

r12: the Meryl haters have to try harder.

I'm happy to defend Meryl at any given opportunity, but r9 is too lame even for me.

by Anonymousreply 1704/03/2013

r16, speaking for me: I do know them off the top of my head.

And the Oscars aren't pointless. They are divine.

You may carry on now.

by Anonymousreply 1804/03/2013

Jamie Foxx was also nominated for best supporting actor the same year he win lead,r8

by Anonymousreply 1904/03/2013

You're correct, r19. I forgot about that.

The rest of my list is accurate, though.

And I would like to add: Emil Jannings, Hattie McDaniel, Red Buttons, George Chakiris, Rita Moreno, Margaret Rutherford, Valentina Cortese.

by Anonymousreply 2004/03/2013

Out of all the performances I've seen of her's for which she was nominated, I think Streep has been deserving of all of those nominations. Except, "Postcards from the Edge" in which I thought she was rather pedestrian.

Streep does breathe better than every other actress in Hollywood.

Sometimes the Academy wants to honor people who haven't necessarily given the best performance in their respective year.

Maybe for their overall body of work or maybe because everyone else in their category is a winner. Unfortunately not every Oscar is about awarding the flat-out best performance of the year.

But if it was Streep should have far more than her three Oscars.

Streep has given far better performances than most of the other "Best Actress" winning ones since 2000. But someone would probably think it unfair for Streep to win as consistently as she deserves to.

by Anonymousreply 2104/03/2013

Mary Pickford, of course

There are other women but I got tired of compiling lists. Here are the Best Actor guys who won once and were never otherwise nominated for Lead or Supporting (I don't include people like George Arliss who were nominated several times for Best Actor in one year but one for only one performance):

Warner Baxter

Lionel Barrymore (once nominated for Best Director)

Paul Lukas

Broderick Crawford

Ernest Borgnine

Yul Brynner

David Niven

Charlton Heston

Lee Marvin

Cliff Robertson

Art Carney

F. Murray Abraham

Michael Douglas

Roberto Begnini

Adrien Brody

Forest Whitaker

Jean Dujarin

by Anonymousreply 2204/03/2013

r21, the Academy hasn't taken the Best Actress category seriously for 15 years now. (With the exception of Streep, Cotillard and maybe Theron, but that one is debatable).

In any case, Postcards is one of her very best performances: very detailed, beautiful character work, with a lot of humor and sadness quietly running through it.

It's very subtle & unassuming work, which may look pedestrian, but it clearly is not.

Nom richly deserved!

by Anonymousreply 2304/03/2013

Streep Troll what about Kathy Bates (Misery) and Anjelica Huston (Grifters).

Were there performances good enough to beat Streep that year?

by Anonymousreply 2404/03/2013

Add David Strathairn to the list. I watched EIGHT MEN OUT recently, and he should have gotten a nomination for that, but not many people saw it.

He's in his 60's now and perhaps he'll cop a supporting nomination in the future, but he has only gotten into one high-profile project since GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK, which would be LINCOLN.

I'd agree that character actors don't get a lot of chances at bat, unless they are former stars like Tommy Lee Jones who now play character roles most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 2504/03/2013

Streep troll, Streep's performance in POSTCARDS is a festival of comic delight and wonderful comic timing, and Streep is wonderful to watch; but:

She is completely miscast.

She's at least ten years too old, for one thing. She was I think 41 years old at the time and the character she's playing could not reasonably be older than 30.

Moreover, she is about 5 years too old to be Shirley MacLaine's daughter. In real life, MacLaine is 15 years older than Streep. Okay, maybe they both play younger - maybe! - or in any case played younger at the time. But still.

Final problem: Impossible to imagine that Meryl Streep would ever have been stuck as a B movie actress in stupid little films where she played a lady copy endangered by snakes, and so forth. The movie doesn't make clear whether the Streep character is supposed to be a good or bad actress, but in any case: it's difficult to imagine her as a failed actress.

Well, the movie generally has no reality. Script problems! Not Streep's fault. Everything in the film is generalized, vague, unbelievable.

Streep is irresistible in the part, but that doesn't mean she's believable.

by Anonymousreply 2604/03/2013

[quote]Moreover, she is about 5 years too old to be Shirley MacLaine's daughter. In real life, MacLaine is 15 years older than Streep. Okay, maybe they both play younger - maybe! - or in any case played younger at the time.

I agree with this also. The very first time I saw the movie, I thought they looked more like sisters, than daughters. Although I barely noticed Streep, with Shirley MacLaine's scene stealing.

Now [italic]that[/italic] performance was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 2704/03/2013

I'll have to disagree, r26. And I'm afraid you're being too pedantic.

Suspension of disbelief - that concept certainly applies for this performance.

It was good casting.

Also, you're mixing up 'real-life good actress' with 'fictional bad actress'. Of course Streep is believable as the latter! As I said above, there is humor running through this dramatic performance... she pulls it off.

r25: you're in the wrong thread. We're talking about Oscar winners here, not nominees. Strathairn never won.

r24: I believe Kathy Bates's win was deserved. She was fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 2804/03/2013

Streep Troll what about Angelica Huston?

by Anonymousreply 2904/03/2013

r27, MacLaine was overacting, as so often. But it was entertaining to watch, which I suppose was the point.

Needless to say, it is Streep who stole the movie: with a quiet, nuanced performance that stood out even more next to MacLaine's loud work.

And the Academy paid attention, gave Streep a nom, while Shirl was shut out.

:)

by Anonymousreply 3004/03/2013

Her name is spelled Anjelica. Not Angelica.

She was good in the Grifters, but not as good as either Meryl or Kathy.

Annette Bening was the big revelation in that movie, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 3104/03/2013

Looking back on "Postcards", I think Steep might've been somewhat too [italic]regal[/italic] for the role.

by Anonymousreply 3204/03/2013

R22, if you mean Jean Dujardin in that last name, it's too early to include him, since he just won last year. I think at least 5 years' time should pass, and even then that may be too early to judge. But definitely 10 years.

Incidentally, I think the OP was looking for people who were only nominated once and won, but were never nominated again after that. This does not include people who were nominated before, then won on a second/third/fourth try, and then weren't nominated again.

For instance, Ernest Borgnine would count since he was only nominated that one time he won. But not someone like, say, Julia Roberts, who was nominated twice before she finally won on her third try, but then hasn't been nominated again 13 years later.

by Anonymousreply 3304/03/2013

We've stuck to OP's criterion faithfully, r33.

Not sure what you're talking about.

Foxx and Strathairn have already been corrected, and nobody here has mentioned Julia Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 3404/03/2013

Streep Troll, do you ever have anything critical to say about any of Streep's performances? It seems you're too biased in your opinions of her. You always manage to find good things about even the most criticized performances of hers (e.g. POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE, HOPE SPRINGS). In fact, there isn't a performance of hers you don't like. I have my favorite actors, too, but I also think they gave some clunkers and didn't deserve certain nominations. But in your eyes, Meryl's always perfection and deserves to win every single time. That's just... weird, and it's hard to take you seriously.

by Anonymousreply 3504/03/2013

Jennifer Lawrence.

Nominated twice. Won once. Hasn't done anything since winning.

by Anonymousreply 3604/03/2013

[quote]We've stuck to OP's criterion faithfully

[quote]We're talking about Oscar winners here

Yet you mentioned Valentina Cortese, who famously LOST to Ingrid Bergman. Guess you missed that one, Streep Loon. Why should we listen to you?

by Anonymousreply 3704/03/2013

It's because they aren't "hungry for it" once they win one. They reach the pinnacle of success (for actors, its the oscar) and then sit back and pick "easy roles" that they can just phone in.

Why do they stop working, too? Very common. once they grab the brass ring, they're done.

by Anonymousreply 3804/03/2013

I know its strange, but sometimes I respect a performer's win more if they're nominated again after a win. Like, say, Helen Hunt this year.

by Anonymousreply 3904/03/2013

[quote]I know its strange, but sometimes I respect a performer's win more if they're nominated again after a win. Like, say, Helen Hunt this year.

Why, R39? Because it makes someone's win seem like it wasn't just a lucky shot?

by Anonymousreply 4004/03/2013

I OWNED this thread. Then my estate sold it to F, Murray Abraham.

by Anonymousreply 4104/03/2013

George Chakiris, of course. Nothing else, before or after, because girlfriend was just a phenomenal dancer, not so much an actor or singer.

But I would put Halle Berry in the same category as, say, Rita Moreno or David Niven, for instance - only one Oscar nomination/win, but plenty of recognition in other awards and media for other work besides what won them the statuette.

by Anonymousreply 4204/03/2013

I am so glad I will never make this list.

by Anonymousreply 4304/03/2013

Doesn't Reese Witherspoon belong on this list?

by Anonymousreply 4404/03/2013

r33, I don't get your post. First off, back away: yes, I meant Jean Dujardin. "Dujarin" was a typo, okay? Secondly, duh: nothing in your post conflicts with my list! All those actors got one nomination each for Best Actor, and each of them won for their one nomination.

Streep troll, say what you will, but Streep is NOT believable as an unsuccessful actress. Not in POSTCARDS, anyway. She is actually not all that convincing as a fuck up. Ironic self-questioning is something she does well, ironic self-commentary, yes. But she does not come across, in POSTCARDS, as someone who fucks up all the time. And I don't believe that Dennis Quaid really wants to fuck her. And MacLaine is just as good as Streep, if you ask me, and should've gotten an Academy Award nomination.

by Anonymousreply 4504/03/2013

She kind of does r44! Unless we get really picky about some other noise she made in the Golden Globes and Critics Circle Awards for "Election" and "Legally Blonde."

by Anonymousreply 4604/03/2013

I have only skimmed through the thread (and I am the READ THE FUCKING THREAD troll!) but why are names like Streep, MacLaine, and Hepburn even being breathed in here? Those women are Academy Award institutions, spanning a lifetime of nominations! Is someone joking? Did someone want to taunt the Streep troll?

by Anonymousreply 4704/03/2013

One and done women who won Best Actress (never nominated for any other acting award) (and yes I'm going to count all the way up to now, so what?):

Mary Pickford

Ginger Rogers

Judy Holliday

Shirley Booth

Louise Fletcher

Marlee Matlin

Gwyneth Paltrow

Halle Berry

Reese Witherspoon

Marion Cotillard

Sandra Bullock

Natalie Portman

by Anonymousreply 4804/03/2013

I would put money on it that Marion will be nominated again sometime in her career. She had a lot of buzz this year and I thought she was great in RUST AND BONE. Everyone else on that list....um prob'ly not.

by Anonymousreply 4904/03/2013

Fisher Stevens (Michell Pfiffer's ex)

The late Lisa Blount

Ray McKinnon

by Anonymousreply 5004/03/2013

I don't see Bullock getting anything more then her one off.

by Anonymousreply 5104/03/2013

r48, Natalie Portman has been nominated twice.

Do keep up, and do look Closer.

by Anonymousreply 5204/03/2013

Don't forget Donna Reed in 1953 and Shirley Jones in 1960. Both nominated that one time only and both won.

BTW why does Donna's show get such a bad rap? I watched a bunch of them on You Tube recently and her character lies, she loses her temper, she misjudges her kids, etc. Not quite the perfect Mom of legend.

by Anonymousreply 5304/03/2013

[quote]Don't forget Donna Reed in 1953 and Shirley Jones in 1960. Both nominated that one time only and both won.

These are both excellent examples.

[quote]BTW why does Donna's show get such a bad rap? I watched a bunch of them on You Tube recently and her character lies, she loses her temper, she misjudges her kids, etc. Not quite the perfect Mom of legend.

What a coincidence, I just watched two episodes on YouTube today. I have no idea why she has the reputation she does.

by Anonymousreply 5404/03/2013

We should have a similar thread on the Golden Globes.

by Anonymousreply 5504/03/2013

Let's discuss Meryl's complete lack of sex appeal, shall we?

by Anonymousreply 5604/03/2013

R54, it's like Mary Poppins. She has this reputation of being sickly sweet and fun-going, but if you actually watch the movie she's very stern (okay, bitchy) and a bit of a killjoy. Maria von Trapp is actually the one who's sweet and fun. I don't understand why some people think Julie Andrews was playing the same character in both movies when their personalities are total polar opposites. The only thing they had in common is that they were singing nannies.

by Anonymousreply 5704/03/2013

Ginger Rogers for Kitty Foyle. She so did not deserve that one, and thank God the Academy never saw fit to nominate her for anything else.

by Anonymousreply 5804/03/2013

It's a testament to Streep's dominance that she comes up in every thread, but she is way off topic here.

I would frankly be shocked if Gwyneth Paltrow, Sandra Bullock, or Reese Witherspoon were ever nominated again. I know that Sandra has Gravity coming up, but Sci Fi films do not traditionally pull acting noms. Julia is supposed to be good in August: Osage County, so she will be nominated again. Charlize Theron almost pulled a nom for Young Adult, so I give her credit.

by Anonymousreply 5904/03/2013

Charlize has a second nom for North Country.

by Anonymousreply 6004/03/2013

Thank you. I forgot about North Country. I also would be shocked if Whoopi Goldberg or Halle Berry were ever nominated again. Same with Adrien Brody - that guy is a douche with no talent.

by Anonymousreply 6104/03/2013

Whoopi seems to have lost the zest for acting. She seemed very self-conscious and ill at ease in "For Colored Girls." She even admitted on The View that she is very rusty at acting.

by Anonymousreply 6204/03/2013

Rula Lenska won for Queen Kong and was never nominated again.

by Anonymousreply 6304/03/2013

[quote]What a coincidence, I just watched two episodes on YouTube today. I have no idea why [Donna Reed] has the reputation she does.

She was an anti-Vietnam War activist in her real life.

by Anonymousreply 6404/03/2013

Theron should give her Oscar back for that Snow White mess

by Anonymousreply 6504/03/2013

Bring me her hearrrrrrrt!

by Anonymousreply 6604/03/2013

R65, she didn't win for SNOW WHITE & THE HUNTSMAN, you moron! She wasn't even nominated last year.

by Anonymousreply 6704/03/2013

R67, I think R65 meant that Theron was so bad in Snow White that she should give back her Monster Oscar. It's possible that you're the moron since you can't figure that out.

by Anonymousreply 6804/03/2013

already mentioned Patty Duke. But I think she should have been nominated for a movie called "Me, Natalie".

by Anonymousreply 6904/03/2013

Some time it is the part, not the performance that wins the Oscar.

Victor McLaglen was a competent, not not necessarily a great actor when he won in 1934 for THE INFORMER. It was a great part and he was able seize the Academy Award with his performance.

He would be nominated again in the supporting actor category for THE QUIET MAN in 1952

by Anonymousreply 7004/04/2013

Ok, I didn't research this, but I'm sure these are on the list if no one already has counted them:

Katina Paxinou

Donald Crisp

Josephine Hull

Jane Darwell

Harold Russell

Peggy Ashcroft

Jim Broadbent

Joseph Schildkraut

I can't remember the actress from "Zorba, the Greek".

by Anonymousreply 7104/04/2013

Lila Kedrova

by Anonymousreply 7204/04/2013

I saw Cliff Robertson recently and thought he was fantastic as the original retard. Now that movie is ripe for a remake, there's room for improvement and it's very relevant: change the setting to reality tv stardom rather than genius; fame as the drug.

I think Kevin Spacey's record is most impressive, supporting then lead, 2 wins. Waltz so close together also good.

by Anonymousreply 7304/04/2013

One win on only one nomination in any Oscar acting category: Best Supporting Actor:

Joseph Schildkraut (who, by the way, is, with Christoph Waltz, one of only two Austrian-born winners in this category)

[By the way, Thomas Mitchell was nominated twice and so is not on this list, but: peripheral information: He was the first person - first actor? or maybe just person, wikipedia doesn't say - to win the big three: Oscar, Emmy, and Tony Awards]

Donald Crisp

Van Heflin

Barry Fitzgerald doesn't count, because he was nominated as both Best Actor and Best Supporting actor in the same year for the same part, the cutesy priest in GOING MY WAY

James Dunn

Harold Russell

Dean Jagger

George Sanders

Red Buttons

Burl Ives

George Chakiris

Ed Begley

Martin Balsam

George Kennedy

Jack Albertson

John Mills

Ben Johnson

Joel Grey

John Houseman

George Burns

Timothy Hutton

Lou Gossett

Haing S. Ngor

Don Ameche

Sean Connery

Kevin Kline

Cuba Gooding

James Coburn

Jim Broadbent

Chris Cooper

Tim Robbins (also nominated for Best Director)

Christian Bale

By the way, the last 4 Best Supporting Actors have "Chris" in their first names somewhere: going in reverse: Christoph Waltz, Christopher Plummer, Christian Bale, Christoph Waltz; other "Chris" winners are Chris Cooper, and Christopher Walken. And in fact that's all the "Chris"es ever nominated in this category, except for Chris Sarandon. Unless you want to count Donald Crisp.

by Anonymousreply 7404/04/2013

I agree R39, Hunt's nom/performance in The Sessions really cemented her win, especially since she's one of the most reviled winners. She was great in this, very deserved though how her co-star was overlooked in favour of Cooper/Jackman/Washington is a mystery.

I also thought that Hunt was the best thing about AGAIG. The real travesty was Nicholson's win, haven't seen the others but I heard Duvall and Fonda etc were much better. Pity they didn't wait till About Schmidt.

by Anonymousreply 7504/04/2013

One win on only one nomination in any Oscar acting category: Best Supporting Actress:

Hattie McDaniel (also the only black actor, indeed only black person, to win an award from the beginning of the Oscars, 1929, to 1963, when Sidney Poitier won Best Actor for LILIES OF THE FIELD. Unless you count the Special Oscar to James Baskett in 1948 as Uncle Remus in the cringingly racist SONG OF THE SOUTH. The next black woman to win an acting award after McDaniel was Whoopi Goldberg in 1990.)

Jane Darwell

Mary Astor

Katina Paxinou

Josephine Hull

Kim Hunter

Donna Reed

Eva Marie Saint

Jo Van Fleet

Dorothy Malone

Miyoshi Umeki

Shirley Jones

Rita Moreno

Patty Duke

Margaret Rutherford

Lila Kedrova

Sandy Dennis

Estelle Parsons

Cloris Leachman

Tatum O'Neal

Beatrice Straight

Mary Steenburgen

Linda Hunt

Peggy Ashcroft

Olympia Dukakis

Brenda Fricker

Mercedes Ruehl

Anna Paquin

Mira Sorvino

Kim Basinger

Jennifer Connelly

Catherine Zeta-Jones

Rachel Weisz

Jennifer Hudson

Tilda Swinton

Mo'Nique

Octavia Spencer

By the way, the first woman who'd already won Best Actress to win Best Supporting was Helen Hayes in 1970, and indeed the '70s was the decade of giving Supporting Awards to women who'd already won or were soon to win for Lead: Hayes, Ingrid Bergman, Maggie Smith, and Meryl Streep; and Vanessa Redgrave, who'd previously be nominated only in Lead roles, also got one.

by Anonymousreply 7604/04/2013

I don't see Julia Roberts getting any more noms, unless it's supporting in a weak year.

Paltrow is also done most likely. The only good thing I can say about her is she pretty much gave it up to become a proper mom no matter how unconventional. Compare this to Kidman who was on the set of Nine as soon as the chord was cut.

I would've said Berry was possible until her personal drama became so known about.

Witherspoon maybe, if she changes her choice of roles.

Bullock is possible, she was better in a couple of films than The Bland Side.

Mo'nique, obviously a one off in all senses and she could back up her rightful anti-Oscar stance. Whereas I think snubees Swinton and Cotillard have been damaged, especially Tilda's blase speech and comments. I have to assume the 9/11 comments have hurt Marion. Similarly Melissa Leo has undone herself by being trash. JHud - lol.

Of multiple nominees snubbed, I wonder if Tom Cruise ever has a chance.

by Anonymousreply 7704/04/2013

I forgot Leo had the excellent Frozen River lucky for her, but she done.

by Anonymousreply 7804/04/2013

OMG I spent forever on those fucking lists and no one has a word to say?

Hmph.

by Anonymousreply 7904/04/2013

r76's list reminded me of a cute DL favorite. Roll it!

by Anonymousreply 8004/04/2013

[quote]Hattie McDaniel (also the only black actor, indeed only black person, to win an award from the beginning of the Oscars, 1929, to 1963, when Sidney Poitier won Best Actor for LILIES OF THE FIELD. Unless you count the Special Oscar to James Baskett in 1948 as Uncle Remus in the cringingly racist SONG OF THE SOUTH. The next black woman to win an acting award after McDaniel was Whoopi Goldberg in 1990.

And in the first decade of the 21st century (2002-2012) there were 8 winners -- Halle Berry, Denzel Washington, Jamie Foxx, Morgan Freeman, Forest Whitaker, Jennifer Hudson, Mo'Nique, Octavia Spencer -- so you can't say there hasn't been any progress.

by Anonymousreply 8104/04/2013

Hey Pollyanna at r81, in 85 years of the Oscars, only one black woman - or a "bi-racial" woman, as it is currently popular to say - has won Best Actress. Only one. That's as if you were 85 years old and you had only once in your life had a black woman to your house. One night. For 3 minutes.

In 85 years, only two black people have been nominated for Best Director, and neither won.

Only one black person has ever been nominated for Best Cinematography - Remi Adefarasin, 1998, ELIZABETH. Didn't win. Only one for Best Editor, Hugh A. Robertson, MIDNIGHT COWBOY. Didn't win.

The big year for black writers was 1972, when black people were nominated for the first time in writing categories, Lonne Elder for SOUNDER and Suzanne de Passe for LADY SINGS THE BLUES. Two black writers in won year has never happened, before or since. Since '72: Spike Lee and John Singleton both got writing nominations. Lee's writing nomination for DO THE RIGHT THING is the only nomination he has ever gotten. And yet he is one of the most prominent American directors of the past 30 years. Two other black people have been nominated for writing awards: Charles Fuller for SOLDIER'S PAY, and Geoffrey Fletcher for SAPPHIRE. Fletcher is the only black winner in this category. And he won. 6 writing awards in 85 years, one win.

Two black people nominated for Best Costumes, no wins.

No black people ever nominated for ART DIRECTION/SET DECORATION.

And if you want to talk progress, or lack of it: in 1972, 2 black women were nominated for Best Actress, Cicely Tyson and Diana Ross. That had never happened before - and it has not happened since. In 1972, Paul Winfield was also nominated, for Best Actor. Three Lead Oscar nominees were black. The only other time that happened was 2001: Will Smith, Denzel Washington, Halle Berry. In 2006, there were two black Best Actors, and 2 black Supporting Actors, and one black Supporting Actress, and two black people won: Jennifer Hudson, Forest Whitaker. So that was a year with a high of 5 black acting nominees.

Only two black women have ever been nominated more than once for acting awards:

Whoopi Goldberg and Viola Davis.

Denzel Washington has 6 acting nominations; Morgan Freeman has 5. Poitier, Will Smith, and Jamie Foxx both have 2.

I don't think either the Emmys or the Tonys have as miserable a record on this score as the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 8204/04/2013

[r76]Thanks, but just to say, Estelle Parsons did get another nomination in the same category the year after she won. For "Rachel Rachel"

by Anonymousreply 8304/04/2013

Jeremy Irons will never get another nomination.

I very much doubt CZJ will either.

by Anonymousreply 8404/04/2013

What about Fisher Stevens?

Will he be nominated again?

by Anonymousreply 8504/04/2013

Oops, my bad, mea culpa, don't hate me, take Estelle Parsons off that list. I apologize in all ways, Oscar gods.

by Anonymousreply 8604/04/2013

Gwyneth, unfortunately was nominated for another Oscar for "SYLVIA".

by Anonymousreply 8704/04/2013

[quote] OMG I spent forever on those fucking lists and no one has a word to say? Hmph.

That's because everyone hates List Queens. Posts like yours become boring after the 3rd or 4th line.

by Anonymousreply 8804/04/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 8904/04/2013

R87, she wishes.

You're almost as stupid as Streep Loon, who thought Valentina Cortese won.

by Anonymousreply 9004/04/2013

[quote] Lee's writing nomination for DO THE RIGHT THING is the only nomination he has ever gotten

No, he was nominated for best documentary feature for [italic]4 Little Girls[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 9104/04/2013

R74, don't forget Christopher "Loincloth" Atkins! His Winston Churchill was unforgettable.

by Anonymousreply 9204/04/2013

only one and a half Jewish women have won Best Actress, no Asians, no Hispanics (that I can think of)....why so much fuss about the lack of black winners?

They just like waspy white ladies.

by Anonymousreply 9304/05/2013

Juliette Binoche - won once

Kristin Scott Thomas - nominated once

Of course, I hope both get nominated and win in the future.

by Anonymousreply 9504/05/2013

[quote]only one and a half Jewish women have won Best Actress, no Asians, no Hispanics (that I can think of)....

PUERTO RICAN: José Ferrer won Best Actor for CYRANO DE BERGERAC in 1950, and Rita Moreno won Supporting Actress for WEST SIDE STORY in 1961.

JAPANESE: Miyoshi Umeki won Supporting Anctress for SAYONARA in 1957

CAMBODIAN: Haing S. Ngor won Supporting Actor for THE KILLING FIELDS in 1984.

HONORABLE MENTION: Luise Rainer won Best Actress for THE GOOD EARTH in 1937. XD

by Anonymousreply 9604/06/2013

Luise Rainer (twice), Judy Holiday, Simone Signoret, Barbra Streisand, Marlee Matlin, Gwyneth Paltrow, Natalie Portman and, of course, Elisheva Rachel Taylor (twicw). That’s 10 best actress Oscars won by Jewish ladies for you, R93. Hardly under represented.

by Anonymousreply 9704/06/2013

I am not Jewish!!!

by Anonymousreply 9804/06/2013

How on earth did Miyoshi Umeki win? She barely says anything in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 9904/06/2013

Well, you are Jewish the same way Berry is Black, R98.

by Anonymousreply 10004/06/2013

Judaism goes through the mother. My mother is a WASP...yet was still cast in Brighton Beach Memoirs somehow, strange.

by Anonymousreply 10104/06/2013

[quote]How on earth did Miyoshi Umeki win? She barely says anything in that movie.

Well, Jane Wyman says nothing at all in JOHNNY BELINDA and she won Best Actress!

by Anonymousreply 10204/06/2013

Has a Muslim American or Muslim Anywhere-ican woman ever won an acting Oscar? He wonders?

by Anonymousreply 10304/06/2013

Sho-ray Aboogey-woogie-gonayung from 'house of sand and fog' came close but she didn't win.

by Anonymousreply 10404/07/2013

Meg Tilly

Jennifer Tilly

by Anonymousreply 10504/29/2013

Adrien Brody proudly owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 10604/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.