Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Joe Scarborough Question

He's always talking about how high his approval rating was as a Congressman, and how wide a margin he won by when first why did he leave Congeess? Last week he admitted how much he misses Congress. Doesn't add up.

by Anonymousreply 3706/14/2013

Out, damned spot! out, I say!

by Anonymousreply 104/03/2013

[quote]On July 20, 2001, one of Scarborough's aides died after hitting her head on a desk when she fainted while alone in Scarborough's Fort Walton Beach, Florida, office. According to Scarborough, soon after her death, allegations "spread all over the Internet" that he had been involved, although there was no evidence of foul play.

[quote]Scarborough announced his intent to resign to spend more time with his children five months into his fourth term in Congress. "The realization has come home to me that they're at a critical stage of their lives and I would rather be judged at the end of my life as a father than as a congressman."

by Anonymousreply 204/03/2013

[quote]Scarborough announced his intent to resign to spend more time with his children five months into his fourth term in Congress

Well at least he actually has children...unlike Ashley Judd....

by Anonymousreply 304/03/2013

R3? WTF is that supposed to mean? Do YOU have children?

by Anonymousreply 404/03/2013

R3 goes spelunking for B.O. nuggets in Cheryl's pussy.

by Anonymousreply 504/03/2013

I think r3 is referring to the fact that Ashley Judd used the "need to spend more time with her family" as an excuse not to run for office. Since she doesn't even have kids, speculation was that she more likely wasn't running because she had done her homework and realized she wouldn't win.

by Anonymousreply 604/03/2013

For the benefit of the newbies, we DL veterans should resume using our old name for him--Dead Intern Joe.

OP, if you've watched Dead Intern Joe's shows for any length of time, as strident as he can be on every other issue, you'll notice he's always oddly quiet when politicians are involved in sex scandals. Doesn't matter which party the alleged pol belongs to. Even when he had his FoxNews show, Dead Intern Joe never went after Dems, Repubs, or Independents who had affairs.

What has Dead Intern Joe been hiding all these years?

by Anonymousreply 704/03/2013

You mean he quite without finishing his term? Like Sarah Palen?

by Anonymousreply 804/03/2013

Many Americans probably have forgotten, or never knew, that a 28-year-old female staff member was found dead in the summer of 2001 in the office of U.S. Rep. Joe Scarborough (R-FL). Officials in Fort Walton Beach, Florida, determined that Lori Klausutis died from an accident. The mainstream press largely ignored the case, but a review of several investigative reports indicates the official finding is highly questionable.

Does that mean Joe Scarborough is a murderer? No. But one could suspect someone who had access to Scarborough’s office in 2001 is a murderer. It seems unlikely that the head trauma that killed Lori Klausutis was the result of an accident.

This is hardly the first time the “murder” issue that surrounds Scarborough has been raised. Two liberal icons, filmmaker Michael Moore and Daily Kos founder Markos Moulitsas, made references to it and wound up in public spats with Scarborough.

Why should we doubt the finding of an accidental death in the Lori Klausutis case? Here are several reasons:

On July 20, 2001, at 8:10 AM, the body of Lori Klausutis was discovered on the floor of the North Fort Walton Beach office of Republican Congressman Joe Scarborough of Florida.

One might have expected an intensive investigation but the medical examiner is the referee in the investigation of suspicious deaths. He concluded the death is accidental, and the investigation stopped.

As for Lori Klausutis, rumors began to swirl as time passed with no resolution to the case, rumors that included whispers of suicide, some emanating from inside the Beltway. Family members, angered at what they considered unfair and exploitive coverage wrote the editor of the Northwest Florida Daily News, Ralph Routon, saying "For those who knew Lori, the thought of suicide, as your published reports suggested, is absolutely unthinkable. Suicide was contrary to her faith and being. She did not suffer from seizures, nor did she have a history of medical problems." Meanwhile, the final report has been issued that Lori died as a result of a blow to the head because an undiagnosed heart condition caused her to collapse and fall, hitting her head on the desk.

The initial reports from the Medical Examiner's office denied any trauma to the body that would indicate cause of death. But Berkland acknowledged on August 6th, that Lori had sustained a "scratch and a bruise" on her head and that his original denials were to prevent undue speculation about the cause of death. "The last thing we wanted was 40 questions about a head injury", he said.

Why should we doubt the finding of an accidental death in the Lori Klausutis case? Here are several reasons:

* The nature of the head trauma does not suggest an accidental death--According to a report from American Politics Journal (APJ), Dr. Michael Berkland, medical examiner, determined that Klausutis had an undiagnosed cardiac arrhythmia that caused her to faint and hit her head on a desk in Scarborough's office. Reports APJ:

There are several problems with the head injury. Generally, for a closed head injury to cause bleeding inside the skull, there is a much more severe injury on the outside of the skull. Do the autopsy notes, indeed, describe such a severe injury on the outside of the skull? In fact, the only closed head injury which usually may cause bleeding inside the skull involves a fracture of the temporal bone, with rupture of the underlying artery. The most important discrepancy that should be answered is how intracranial bleeding could continue if the cardiac arrhythmia had caused a cessation of blood flow to the brain.

* The fainting story does not add up--What is the likelihood that an apparently healthy woman, who ran marathons, would faint and hit her head on a desk in such a way that would cause death? It's pretty unlikely, our research indicates. Reports APJ:

Presumably the heart valve condition alluded to is Mitral Valve Prolapse. This may be associated with arrhythmias, but rarely with VTach (ventricular tachycardia) or VFib (ventricular fibrillation), the only arrhythmias which would stop the flow of blood to the brain.

Generally, with syncope of whatever cause the "guarding reflex," wherein one raises a hand to protect the head, is preserved. A report at, stated that such a fall in a healthy person is unlikely to cause death. Berkland's determination of an accidental death, however, brought the investigation to a virtual halt:

According to the medical literature, simple falls in young, healthy people, virtually never cause death. Berkland’s claim that injury opposite to the site of impact is observed only when a person’s head hits a stationary object is also contradicted by the literature.

The autopsy describes the prolapsed mitral valve in great detail, claiming that the medical literature sustains the notion that this is likely to be fatal.

Dr. Berkland contends in lengthy autopsy comments that “there are only about three entities that generally cause one to drop in midsentence or in midstride . . . pulmonary embolus . . . a ruptured aneurysm . . . and most common, is a sudden cardiac arrhythmia.” Yet, the medical literature suggests that neither pulmonary emboli nor aneurysms are likely to cause immediate loss of consciousness. A blow to the head is a common cause of loss of consciousness. . . .

Finally, although the report shows the subdural hematoma was severe, it was far from the site deep in the brain stem that controls heartbeat and respiration. Dr. Berkland’s microscopics give no description of the brain stem and no evidence that it was damaged at all, leaving a question as to the exact cause of death. Ed Friedlander, M.D., a noted forensic pathologist has stated that “A good rule of thumb is that nothing inside the head short of a gunshot wound through the lower brain stem will kill a person in less than 60 minutes.”

* The medical examiner had a troubled history--Before moving to Florida, Dr. Berkland had practiced in Kansas City, Missouri. His time there ended in controversy. Reports

Before moving to Florida, Dr. Berkland had worked in Kansas City, MO. The August 30 edition of the Pitch Weekly, based in that city, noted in its Kansas City Strip column, “Former Jackson County coroner, Mike Berkland, provides the brains for a scandal in Florida.”

The Pitch said, “Berkland claims he ‘sectioned’ Klausutis’ brain during her autopsy to determine that her head was injured by a fall, not by a blow from a weapon. But that’s the same sort of claim that got Berkland run out of Kansas City in 1996, after he’d falsely reported that he’d sectioned brains later found whole by his boss—a mistake he blames on poorly proofread reports written with computer macros. No such mistake occurred with Klausutis’ brain Berkland told the Pitch. ‘You can rest assured it was sectioned,’ he says.”

Jennifer Van Bergen, writing at Truthout, said Berkland's actions both in Missouri and Florida raise serious questions about the Lori Klausutis investigation:

The final touch in this case which simply makes it cry out for further investigation is the fact that Associate Medical Examiner Michael Berkland had lost his license in Missouri in 1998 for "misrepresentation or unethical conduct and knowingly making a false statement in the autopsy reports." As a result, Berkland was suspended from practice in Florida.

In 1999, Berkland's supervisor, Dr. Gary Cumberland, the Acting District Medical Examiner, who, by the way, had donated heavily--and perhaps beyond federal limits--to Joe Scarborough's election campaigns, said that he "still has full confidence in Berkland and no plans to replace him," according to Beach Browser, a local paper. It seems that Berkland was reinstated with the issuance of a "letter of guidance" by the Florida Board of Osteopathic Medicine.

Van Bergen provides a summary of the oddities surrounding Lori Klausutis's death:

* The congressman (an ardent and vocal supporter of G.W., by the way) resigns only six months after re-election, just prior to his aide’s death. The reason: amid rumors of marital infidelity, the recently-divorced husband wants to spend more time with his sons.

* A medical examiner who had his license revoked in another state. Why? He lost it falsifying autopsies.

* The medical examiner’s supervisor had contributed thousands of dollars to the congressman’s election campaign.

* Contradictory reports about whether there is a visible head injury or not.

* A medical conclusion that contains several inconsistencies. First, that Mrs. Klausutis, who was a marathon runner, died of a cardiac arrhythmia. Second, that although she had suffered a fractured skull and a “contracoup” bruise on the opposite side of the brain, the injury could not possibly have been caused by a physical assault.

* Then there’s the question of whether the office was locked and the lights were on. One report says the door was locked and the lights were off; another report says the door was unlocked and the lights were on.

* And if all this weren’t enough, there’s the scientist husband who does high level weapon design work for the Air Force.

Is Joe Scarborough a murderer? We cannot reach a conclusive answer at this point. But the evidence strongly suggests that Lori Klausutis' death was the result of foul play, not an accident.

P.S. The Medical Examiner Dr. Berkland was later fired for faking autopsies, as well as being arrested for having a storage unit full of crudely preserved brains, hearts, lungs and other organs and specimens that were discovered in more than 100 containers. Just another little bit of weird to add to this whole thing

by Anonymousreply 904/03/2013

I generally like him until he does what he did today and extol the virtues of people like Mark Sanfford whose politics are heinous. It also bugs me that the rest of the people on the panel generally mumble in agreement even though they will say the exact opposite when they appear later on any other MSNBC show. I also think that Joe will leave at some point and run again for office in Florida.

by Anonymousreply 1004/03/2013

Re: Lori Klausutis' death

A few months after Klausutis' death, responding to a question by Chris Matthews about what would happen to an aide left his employ and wrote about him, Scarborough blurted out "I think they'd be in danger."

Don Imus surprised Scarborough with a question from left field: "You said you had sex with that intern and then you had to kill her." Scarborough, laughing, replied, "Yeah, well what are you gonna do?"

by Anonymousreply 1104/03/2013

R10, I watched a clip of the section where Robert Redford appeared. He was very nice to Joe, who is, apparently, in the Discovery Channel documentary on Watergate (not sure why-Joe was a child then). However, thinking of Mika's father's description of him as "stunningly superficial", it struck me that under any other circumstance, Redford would not have given Joe the time of day. And Joe just blathered on like he does with every other interviewer.

by Anonymousreply 1204/03/2013

I loved Joe Scarborough. "Believe It Or Not (Theme from Greatest American Hero)" was one of my favourite songs from the early-1980s.

by Anonymousreply 1304/03/2013

NW Florida (aka, "The Panhandle") has a history of political intrigue to rival that of Louisiana.

Other DL posters from there can attest to this.

I would not be surprised in the slightest to find out that poor girl was murdered and/or that things are not really as they were explained away.

by Anonymousreply 1404/03/2013

One of the many reasons I love the DL.

by Anonymousreply 1504/03/2013

Joe is one long tall piece of women candy. He can look very handsome when he isn't sporting the frat boy jock at 48ish.

More important he is smart as a whip and hilariously funny; and, when the cameras are off he can even play that guy who is more interested in "you" than how brilliantly he is winning his argument.

Calling MoJo a pussy hound is akin to affirming that Miss Lawrence from RHOA is effeminate.

by Anonymousreply 1604/03/2013

Anything that happened in the summer of 2001 got completely ignored, lost in the shuffle or held in perspective, in comparison to what happened later on that fateful Tuesday morning.

by Anonymousreply 1704/03/2013

I had no idea this was in Scarborough's past. For some reason, I was under the impression he had favored term limits and only served a couple of terms before bowing out.

by Anonymousreply 1804/03/2013

Is he related to Chuck Scarborough? They have the same coloring.

by Anonymousreply 1904/03/2013

Are you going to Scarborough fair?

by Anonymousreply 2004/03/2013

I liked when Willie subbed for Joe and Mika when they were off last week. Also love Peter Alexander in Willie's old slot in Way Too Early. Very quick and funny. God knows why I am up that early but for some reason I have been of late. Oy

by Anonymousreply 2104/03/2013

Joe sometimes annoyingly exclaims, "I'm just a country lawyer."

No you're not Joe, you're a millionaire talk show host.

by Anonymousreply 2204/03/2013

Joe may be a pussy hound but a murderer? Really?

by Anonymousreply 2304/03/2013

How come Joe got less attention than Gary Condit with their respective dead interns?

by Anonymousreply 2404/03/2013

[quote]Is he related to Chuck Scarborough? They have the same coloring.

Not sure, but he's certainly a Republican douche like Joe.

by Anonymousreply 2504/03/2013

I was looking at the autopsy results for Lori Klausutis and there is no way in the world that she died because her heart gave out and she passed out and hit her head on a desk.

The autopsy report revealed that Lori Klausutis had suffered two skull fractures and an additional wound. A 7 1/4-inch crack all but spanned the top of her head, from right temple to left. As a likely consequence of that blow, blood poured in from a steadily pumping heart to form a fist-sized hematoma at the left temple. There were separate 1 1/2-inch eggshell fractures, essentially pulverizing the bone, deep inside the skull behind the right ear. The back of her head was bashed, and her lungs were filled with bloody foam, suggesting that she took a relatively long time to die. That's a hell of a lot more than "a scratch and a bruise" that Berkland had claimed originally.

In the final autopsy report, Berkland wrote off all those devastating injuries to heart failure. According to Berkland, Klausutis had fainted from a weak heart and hit her head on the desk, an unlikely scenario considering the massive damage to the victim's skull.

Dr. Berkland concluded in the final autopsy report that Klausutis's heart had failed. Moreover, by failing to officially close the investigation, long after they had ceased to interview witnesses, the police prevented the public from learning any facts about Klausutis's death. Only when the autopsy report was released (and that occurred only because the editor in chief of the Northwest Florida Daily News Ralph Routon's editorial demanded its issuance) did those willing to exercise their rights under Florida's Sunshine Law learn the extent of Lori's injuries.

Showing an incredible lack of professionalism, the local press swallowed this story whole, even the seeming contradiction about a failing heart having been capable of pumping more than a half cup of blood to form the hematoma. Medical science suggests that, if Klausutis's heart was so weak that it failed to pump enough blood to her brain to maintain consciousness, that same heart would not pump enough blood to form the hematoma. With Berkland's confusing-and medically improbable-scenario securely within the official case file, the case was closed.

No more questions. No more answers.

How did Joe Scarborough not only escape media scrutiny altogether, but then also given a slot in their ranks? Was it because he'd been one of W's biggest cheerleaders that the press didn't go after him?

by Anonymousreply 2604/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 2704/03/2013

I remember times when he was on a show with Rachel Maddow and thinking, he really hates her! She could handle him, but he acted like he couldn't handle her. Strange guy.

by Anonymousreply 2804/03/2013

He can't handle Rachel Maddow. My god, he can barely handle Mika Brzezinski or Tina fucking Brown. He shows obvious contempt for women, I wonder what his alibi was when his 28 year old "intern" was murdered?

I also watched the Redford segment this morning. It's a pity about him not using sunscreen for 50 years. He used to be one of the handsomest men I'd ever seen. His new movie looks good.

by Anonymousreply 2904/03/2013

[quote] The most important discrepancy that should be answered is how intracranial bleeding could continue if the cardiac arrhythmia had caused a cessation of blood flow to the brain.

I'm not a doctor but I know enough to stop reading here.

by Anonymousreply 3004/03/2013

More about Joe meets Redford, lord of gravitas. Joe's illuminait, baby

by Anonymousreply 3104/03/2013

On July 20, 2001, at 8:10 AM, the body of Lori Klausutis was discovered on the floor of the North Fort Walton Beach office of Joe Scarborough by a couple who had an appointment with Joe to get the husband his green card, but oddly that morning, Joe was three hours away. This appointment had been made weeks earlier and had been confirmed with the congressman's office the day before. He didn't have the reputation of standing up his appointments at his office so one wonders why that day he wasn't in his office.

by Anonymousreply 3204/03/2013

I thought he was in Washington.

by Anonymousreply 3304/03/2013

Joe can't handle Rachel Maddow, Nate Silver or Aul Krigman because they all deal with the facts.

by Anonymousreply 3404/03/2013

Of course he can't deal with facts. He's a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 3504/03/2013

September 1, 2001 (APJP) — Over at The American Prospect’s message board thread concerning this very article, Phoenix Woman has asked a trolling Scarborough “defender” three pivotal questions. We’d love to know the answers ourselves:

1) If Lori’s death was just a simple accident, then why did Rep. Scarborough and his spokesman Miguel Serrano feel the need to go to two different local TV stations within three hours of her body’s being found and invent a nonexistent history of chronic medical conditions for her — in other words, why did they feel the need to lie about Lori’s health?

2) Would you trust without question the word of a Medical Examiner who lost his ME license in two separate states (Missouri and Florida) because he LIED about his autopsy work (for instance, saying he had autopsied some brains when he hadn’t)?

3) Why should whoever wrote Ms. Klausutis’s obituary feel it was appropriate to mention nearly everything about her life — EXCEPT where she’d been working since 1999?

A recent check of the Young Republican’s web site found no mention of Lori or her contributions, nor any tribute to her memory nor comments about her passing. In fact, you will find no mention of her at all. If you go to The Pensacola News Journal’s online pages, one of the few papers that actually covered the story, and search the site for “Klausutis” you will come up empty, even though the same search will pull up numerous stories matching “Scarborough”. It seems as though someone wants to erase all traces of Lori Klausutis from the record and bury the story with her.

A little more background from the American Political Journal about Lori Klausutis…

According to her obituary in the Fort Walton Daily News, Lori had served as President and, later, Treasurer, for the Emerald Coast Young Republicans and as a aide to Congressman Scarborough, she was active during the Florida recounts.

If this was just a simple slip and hit head and die story, why would the Young Republicans and the local paper scrub any mention of her from their websites? You would think they would have a memorial for her. You would think they would honor her death but for some reason….nothing.

by Anonymousreply 3604/03/2013

He gets paid $4 million a year and has a popular show, but he still says he misses Congress. He's done way better than some in similar situations. What was the name of that aide to the Congressman who died in the DC park? I don't think he's done well at all.

by Anonymousreply 3706/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!