Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Manhattan Television Question

Friend moved into an UWS apartment. Didn't order cable. He gets NY1 on 59.468, NBC-4 on 65.1, ABC-7 on 65.2. plus others. When he called Time Warner, rep said none of their channels have a dot after a number. Anyone know what's going on?

by Anonymousreply 904/03/2013

Channels that are #.# are over-the-air digital channels. Anyone can receive them for free with the right TV and antenna.

Some, but not all, of those channels are also available on cable, but they would have a different number that doesn't include a dot.

by Anonymousreply 104/02/2013

r1, OP here. Should I have told you that he just plugged the TV into wire coming from wall? He doesn't have any box.

by Anonymousreply 204/02/2013

I lived in an apt for a year that received the broadcast channels and very basic cable channels like maybe TBS and NY1 and TNT, etc. Never paid and never needed a box.

by Anonymousreply 304/02/2013

If you plug your TV directly into the cable outlet without any box in between, you'll get some of the more basic cable channels, and they WILL have decimal points. Some of mine had five or six digits, even.

by Anonymousreply 404/02/2013

Aren't the .1 (point one) designations for HD versions of local channels?

2 of my tv's, which are not connected to cable get the network affiliates on these channels. They are high-def tv's as well. I have regular rabbit ear antennas connected to them.

4.1 is CBS, 7.1 is ABC, 7.2 is the CW, etc.

by Anonymousreply 504/03/2013

R5 Yes. Digital over-the-air channels have those designations for their sub-channels (e.g., 4.1, 4.2, etc.) The highest post-decimal number I've seen is .13, I think.

However, if you connect to cable without a box, you'll also get similar designations, but with much longer numbers. For example, 43.2304. At least this happens with my service, which is from Charter. And you only get certain channels, not all of the ones you'd get with the box.

by Anonymousreply 604/03/2013

Decimal points? In Los Angeles I've never seen such a thing.

by Anonymousreply 704/03/2013

R7 Are you referring to over-the-air or cable? I'm in LA (county, anyway) and almost all of the broadcast channels have sub-channels with decimal points. 5.2 is Antenna and 5.3 is THIS, for example. 56.3 is MeTV.

by Anonymousreply 804/03/2013

Why is he calling Time Warner?

by Anonymousreply 904/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.