Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What is your stance on immigration?

I think that immigration should be stopped or very tightly controlled. In my opinion, we are currently facing a very tough economic time and that we simply do not even have enough resources for people in our country currently.

by Anonymousreply 4704/03/2013

Immigration made this country great. Now, immigration is ruining it. I want to know why people who migrate to this country don't bother learning English and why we have to cater to them by posting signs in English and Spanish. A sign was posted in my laundry room regarding the amount of laundry soap that should be used in washers. Same sign was posted in Spanish. WTF. I know I sound racist and maybe that's what I've become after years and years of watching my city and my neighborhood destroyed by people who don't give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 104/02/2013

Immigration is a natural, normal, consistent, and necessary part of human existence. Simply because we'd like to define who belongs where according to current definitions means nothing in the big anthropological picture.

by Anonymousreply 204/02/2013

Mt. Stance is.

by Anonymousreply 304/02/2013

R1 Yes, you sound racist. Immigration keeps the US a dynamic and vibrant society. We get the best and the brightest from all over the world along with some lowlifes. We don't want to be an aging population like Italy, Japan, etc. Someone has to be working to pay all those senior benefits!

by Anonymousreply 404/02/2013

I think all illegal immigrants currently in the country should be given legal status. They should have all the responsibilities and the benefits of the rest of the citizens and legal residents. Period.

by Anonymousreply 504/02/2013

The thing is, no one is saying we should end immigration into this country, but there needs to be limits. The limits we do have, are not being enforced. That's a problem. Lets face it, we don't have room or recourses for the whole world to live within the confines of the United States, so where does the line get drawn? It has to be drawn SOMEWHERE.

by Anonymousreply 604/02/2013

Immigrating trolls are the worst.

Turn yourself in, OP.

by Anonymousreply 704/02/2013

How about you "draw a line" at the Buy-A-Visa program that rich (mostly European and Chinese) immigrants buy for $$$. They step right up to the front of the line with this. This is fair?

The Washington Post had an article about this the other day. It made my blood boil.

by Anonymousreply 804/02/2013

Immigration is important for the economy. If you don't keep low wage populations within their own borders, you won't have anywhere to ship jobs to when the workers get uppity in higher wage countries.

If you allow workers in countries with low wages and substandard working conditions to leave and go where they want, it would drive wages up everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 904/02/2013

Wide.

by Anonymousreply 1004/02/2013

[quote]The thing is, no one is saying we should end immigration into this country, but there needs to be limits. The limits we do have, are not being enforced. That's a problem. Lets face it, we don't have room or recourses for the whole world to live within the confines of the United States, so where does the line get drawn? It has to be drawn SOMEWHERE.

You do realize that study after study has shown that immigration is a good thing for the U.S..

Immigrants including undocumented workers actually improve the economy by infusing new cash towards new purchases, rent, automobiles, appliances, clothing, electronics - items they need and didn't bring with them from home.

There are even some people who believe that the economic downturn of the last several years made have been worsened by the increased pressures put on immigrants.

by Anonymousreply 1104/02/2013

Immigration, in a big way, is also the fault of America's foreign policy in Central America and the Caribbean. Typically, whenever you see a problem, you should check to see what America did to cause it. You'll be one step closer to the correct answer.

by Anonymousreply 1204/02/2013

I basically agree with what R5 said, make the undocumented people legal so they can pay taxes and be productive members of society.

However, the whole pity party for them gets on my nerves. They voluntarily crossed the border illegally, no one forced them, they chose the life they are living in America, and yet some people go on MSNBC and talk about them like they're more persecuted than the Syrians.

by Anonymousreply 1304/02/2013

Agree with r5. Plus we need to accept their kids are born here, and will stay here so we are obligated to educate them.

by Anonymousreply 1404/02/2013

Yes, I do R11. Read my post again.

by Anonymousreply 1504/02/2013

I believe in open borders. I'd like to be free to move anywhere in the world I want to live, and I'd like that same freedom to be granted to people wanting to live in the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 1604/02/2013

You gonna go pick beets in Alabama this summer, OP? Yeah, didn't think so.

by Anonymousreply 1704/02/2013

I find assimilation (or lack of it) the more interesting aspect of immigration, especially when it becomes a force strong enough to modify the status quo and not always for the better.

by Anonymousreply 1804/02/2013

I'm very pro immigration. They're all hard workers and just want a better life. I always thought that it was the bullshit of bullshits that a nation of immigrants wants to put up walls to stop new immigrants. Too bad the Native Americans didn't find a way to keep the riff raff out.

by Anonymousreply 1904/02/2013

Any idea how to pay for it? It is a reality they will continue to come here. But it is also a reality that most that are here illegally are poor and it is necessary for them to get welfare. That is my worry - how we are going to pay for it as the middle class and professional positions dwindle and we become a service economy. There is an over supply of uneducated unskilled workers in a service economy that drives wages down for them while the 1% gets richer. Thus, there is more people who need government help to survive.

by Anonymousreply 2004/02/2013

[quote]But it is also a reality that most that are here illegally are poor and it is necessary for them to get welfare.

You realize that's pure wingnut disinformation and bullshit, right?

by Anonymousreply 2104/02/2013

Hello--there's a difference between immigration and ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION. No other country allows this--why do we? Other countries set a very high bar for who they allow in--and only take the cream of the crop. No drain on their system. No food stamps. No welfare for spawning kids. We need to stop catering to people--quit insisting we learn another language to communicate with these people who shouldn't be here in the 1st place, quit bending over and allowing them to --- us with sand and no lube!

by Anonymousreply 2204/03/2013

R22 you're quite ill-informed about other nations' immigration policies, to say the least.

by Anonymousreply 2304/03/2013

I think the US should pass the DREAM Act immediately. That's what I think.

by Anonymousreply 2404/03/2013

Immigrants tend to take jobs citizens will not. Unemployment among illegal immigrants is very low OP. They take the jobs citizens will not. Pretty much has always been true about legal and illegal immigrants. That is why the principle argument to prevent illegal immigration is to crack down on those who employ them.

I am all for amnesty/accomodation- make these illegal but working immigrants citizens, collect taxes from them and let them have their chance at the American dream. We are a country of immigrant by the way. Immigrants drive our American civilization.

by Anonymousreply 2504/03/2013

I couldn't disagree with R1 more. in my community immigration has brought the city back from the brink. the ONLY upward mobility I see in my life is with these poor,modest immigrants from Viet Nam and Guatamala. The more we can have of them, the better

by Anonymousreply 2604/03/2013

I think we all should have at least one Mexican

by Anonymousreply 2704/03/2013

Rather than an issue of “values” or political sentiment, we need to look at immigration as a matter of arbitrage, a process by which rapidly aging countries bid for the skills and energies of newcomers to keep their economies afloat. Not sure if OP is an American or EU citizen but both need immigration. Makes me sick as an American that we aren't allowing more people to immigrate legally to the US and that we have yet to pass the Dream Act!

by Anonymousreply 2804/03/2013

As long as the immigrants are masculine gay dudes, then it's fine.

by Anonymousreply 2904/03/2013

I just wish I could emigrate to Canada, Australia, or New Zealand. I do not want to be an American any longer. This country is pure shit now.

by Anonymousreply 3004/03/2013

Who gonna pick yo lettuce?

by Anonymousreply 3104/03/2013

Immigration has depressed wages and hurt the economy, not least by offering a safety valve to Mexico to prevent meaningful social reform there. There should be a moratorium on immigration for five years until the economy proves it sustain good job growth. Otherwise, you are just creating a humanitarian crisis.

by Anonymousreply 3204/03/2013

I have no problems with it at all. I do not fear an immigrant is going to take my job. In fact, I am sort of proud I live in a country that people are willing to risk so much just to come here.

The day people no longer want to immigrate to the US is not one anyone would like to see.

by Anonymousreply 3304/03/2013

[quote] How about you "draw a line" at the Buy-A-Visa program that rich (mostly European and Chinese) immigrants buy for $$$. They step right up to the front of the line with this. This is fair?

As is the norm in any other part of society, money talks. Fair? No. But it's the way of the world.

by Anonymousreply 3404/03/2013

[quote] You gonna go pick beets in Alabama this summer, OP? Yeah, didn't think so

Perhaps those on the government dole should be sent there to do that.

by Anonymousreply 3504/03/2013

Well you're arrogant and stupid. Chances are you would make 50% more money if there had been no immigration the last thirty years. Immigration is not a test of your manhood. It's a social issue. We should not allow ANY immigration when we are not creating jobs, period.

by Anonymousreply 3604/03/2013

R36 Sentences that begin with the words, "chances are" tend to be void of any real facts. If you had any evidence to back this claim up, you would have provided it. You didn't. Hence everything you wrote is ignored.

by Anonymousreply 3704/03/2013

Immigration depresses wages. There are almost no studies of this because corporate masters and economists (paid shills of the 1%) don't wish to see the obvious impact, but it's one of those common sense things which is so obvious that only a Republican troll or an immigrant would deny it.

by Anonymousreply 3804/03/2013

Before we let anyone else in, let's send Justin Bieber back to Canada and Piers Morgan back to England and then shut the borders.

by Anonymousreply 3904/03/2013

[quote]But it's the way of the world.

But it's not the way of the constitution, so we just throw all that away too?

by Anonymousreply 4004/03/2013

Freepers are only concerned with the Constitution when they think someone is going to take away their guns.

by Anonymousreply 4104/03/2013

The Constitution really only applies to actual US citizens.

by Anonymousreply 4204/03/2013

So many special little snowflakes on this thread. (each one is individual, and they're all white)

by Anonymousreply 4304/03/2013

If the immigrants weren't brown, no one would care. If we had a sudden influx of Swedes, this would be a non story.

by Anonymousreply 4404/03/2013

R23, please educate me on the countries opening their arms to immigrants. I would be interested in finding out--as I certainly don't know everything. I know some countries will give you dual citizenship if you are at least 50% their heritage--and can prove it. Others assess you on a point system--based on age, and education in a highly desirable field for them. Again, with many of us unemployed--and having to take jobs at less pay or not indicative of our education/experience--can we afford to compete with others for the few jobs left-? Not grape-picking, but jobs in construction or in the medical field...

by Anonymousreply 4504/03/2013

There's not enough time, R22/R45.

Try looking up individual immigration policies on line.

by Anonymousreply 4604/03/2013

Overall, R42 it *refers* to the principles on which the country was founded.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a freeper has no idea what the Constitution is really about.

by Anonymousreply 4704/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.