Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Should fat people stand on the subway so they don't take up two seats when a train is crowded?

I had to run some errands downtown today and the Q train was fairly crowded when I got on. It was the newer type of train with the blue benches.

On one seat there were three normal-sized people. At 34th St the two outer people got up leaving the man in the middle alone on the bench. Before two more people could take their place this huge woman told the guy to scoot over and sat down, occupying the space of two people.

If the train was empty I wouldn't have been so bother by this, but during a busy time like this I felt like it was rude to take up two seats. The fat woman was probably 35-40 years old, and there were plenty of elderly people left standing who could have taken the two spots on the bench.

Do you think fat people just don't give a fuck because they are so scorned by society? Don't you think their image would improve if they didn't do stuff like this?

by Anonymousreply 8310/04/2013

They should ride after hours, pay twice as much and have to clean the train.

by Anonymousreply 104/02/2013

and they should be forced to wipe the bacon grease off their arms especially during the summer cuz i'm tired of having the fat rub off on my freshly laundered shirts.

by Anonymousreply 204/02/2013

Unfortunately, looking out for others has become secondary to personal needs. People are so grateful when they are assisted; yet they shouldn't have to be. Thank goodness there are young people who truly believe in "pass it on", "each one, teach one", and random acts of kindness. They give me hope chivalry is not dead.

by Anonymousreply 304/02/2013

Would you rather they stand and block the aisle? Or god forbid they lose their balance and fall on top of you?

by Anonymousreply 404/02/2013

I am always amazed ( and touched )as to how many random acts of kindness I receive as a tourist in NYC. I wish I witnessed as many in my own country.

by Anonymousreply 504/02/2013

Perhaps there could be a trailer or something that we could tie to the back of each train.

by Anonymousreply 604/02/2013

Hopefully a fatty will bump into OP and send him off the platform onto the tracks.

by Anonymousreply 704/02/2013

Sounds good in theory, until track curves and speed changes have the train looking like the Star Trek original series set when they were filming the actors getting thrown about.

by Anonymousreply 804/02/2013

Fat people should not be allowed on subways. There,I said it!

by Anonymousreply 904/02/2013

Kindness here, too. I tripped and fell flat on my face once in NYC, I think 50 people came running and tried to help me. Thank you again. kind people.

by Anonymousreply 1004/02/2013

A stood next to a morbidly obese fellow on the train the other day. He was being extra careful not to jostle anyone, and to stay upright and out of peoples' way.

But it was nearly impossible, considering how huge and unstable he was.

by Anonymousreply 1104/02/2013

They hate how they look and how big they are. As much as it may not show, they do. Just be kind and let it go.

by Anonymousreply 1204/02/2013

R4, R11 and R12 have it right. Think about what it would be like to literally walk in a fat person's shoes.

by Anonymousreply 1304/02/2013

You don't know what a person has gone through and the reasons they are obese...maybe it was an unfortunate incident in their lives.

It's not nice to be judgmental about someone's looks. That could be you someday, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1404/02/2013

I wish the lady on the subway would have gotten up from her two seats and beat your ass

by Anonymousreply 1504/02/2013

You'd think gay people would sympathize with others who get picked on for being different.

by Anonymousreply 1604/03/2013

What r4 said. Better they have a seat.

OP, just remember, big people still have to do all those subway stairs, so the joke is still on them.

Chill the fuck out.

by Anonymousreply 1704/03/2013

Okay, I think R18 pretty much covered it.

by Anonymousreply 1904/03/2013

Sure. They can stand right in front of you so you can take a long look at that fat ass, and kiss it! :D

by Anonymousreply 2004/03/2013

I like R18's style. Semi-related, the subway is getting really intense recently. People pushing all the time, verbal sparring, aggressive walking in the stations--every day, instead of just occasionally. Is it the economy? Been in NYC for seven years and this is new.

by Anonymousreply 2104/03/2013

Are the taxis on strike in NYC or something?

by Anonymousreply 2204/03/2013

Whoever gets there first has a right to sit down, with allowances made for:

The physically handicapped

The very old

The very young (if you can read big signs, you're no longer "very young")

The very pregnant

by Anonymousreply 2304/03/2013

Too bad you didn't have a couple of porkchops to entice her off the seat.

by Anonymousreply 2404/03/2013

A morbidly obese woman I know has two years until she can retire. Can't fit into taxis. Uses the subway with stations that have elevators and escalators. Takes her an 1:20 for a usual twenty minute trip from Jackson Heights to Manhattan. She refuses to lose weight.

by Anonymousreply 2504/03/2013

Dear R18 -

You apparently have issues with both men and gay men and I find your incessant thread hopping, posting your "faggot" and "queens" bullshit tiresome.

Why must you insist all of these threads are posted by gay men? Oh, that's right, you're a misandrist cunt.

by Anonymousreply 2704/03/2013

[quote]Now wipe your bleeding ass with a Popsicle

This thread is making me horny!!

by Anonymousreply 2904/03/2013

There are signs in subway cars asking rider to give up seats to elderly and pregnant passengers. No one sees them, too busy reading AM-NY and Metro.

by Anonymousreply 3004/03/2013

They should be slapped viciously!

by Anonymousreply 3204/03/2013

I've always thought larger people should be the ones that sit. For some reason, it seems like they take up less room if they are seated.

by Anonymousreply 3304/03/2013

R18 is a shit stirring homophobe.

by Anonymousreply 3404/03/2013

I thought fat people only live in flyover country? I don't even know what's real anymore!!!

by Anonymousreply 3504/03/2013

OP really is what's wrong with society.

by Anonymousreply 3604/03/2013

Obese people ae handicapped, in pain most of the time, and often have breathing difficulties. I always assist an obese person if they ask me --and they do, because I am nice.

The fact that they are out and about going to work or what-not means that they are trying to improve their lives and be normal.

Be nice.

by Anonymousreply 3704/03/2013

[quote] A morbidly obese woman I know has two years until she can retire. Can't fit into taxis. Uses the subway with stations that have elevators and escalators. Takes her an 1:20 for a usual twenty minute trip from Jackson Heights to Manhattan. She refuses to lose weight.

There's a man I see at my subway who is massive. He is always breathing/wheezing heavily and sweating no matter what the temperature is. It terrifies me to be honest. Sometimes in the morning when the train is packed I see him waiting for the next train, etc. He can't just slide on like most people. It makes me very sad.

by Anonymousreply 3904/03/2013

Let's face it if most of them (acknowledging not all obesity comes from variables the individual can control) had the kind of discipline you're asking for they wouldn't be obese in the first place.

I think you have a little too much time to waste on conjecture dear.

by Anonymousreply 4004/03/2013

I recall the episode of "Mad About You" where the male characters provided the pregnant woman a seat and carried her groceries home only to discover "she" was an overweight man.

by Anonymousreply 4104/03/2013

Sounds like a fun premise, r41. Link please!

by Anonymousreply 4204/03/2013

[quote]I am just a 26 year old gay man who is sick of seeing bigotry directed towards all others on this site.

Then you have no reason, need or right to be here, you shit stirring, uptight, humorless troll.

And no, you're not "just a 26 year old gay man". Crawl away woman.

by Anonymousreply 4304/03/2013

Yes. Standing burns more calories than sitting.

by Anonymousreply 4404/03/2013

Let's face it, any rules charging "fat people" to pay more airfare or stand on subways is code word for "FAT MEN".

Women will always find a way or make an excuse and of course other women are all to happy to give their seats, many times anyway, to a massive female.

For some reason, morbidly obese women are often seen as or believed to suffer from some medical malady either causing their massive size or contributing to it.

Society, even here on DL, people are much more cruel against obese men. I've never once seen anyone, especially a woman offer her seat to a large man who seemed to be in discomfort or sick, but let a massive woman come on board or show up and eventually you'll have at least two people standing to give her a seat.

by Anonymousreply 4504/03/2013

Yet a big fat man will still make more money than a thin woman, r45.

by Anonymousreply 4704/03/2013

[quote]aggressive walking in the stations...

I have noticed this as well over the past few years. Not sure what has brought this on, but it can be unsettling at times, especially at a station like the 72nd St. #1/2/3, where the platform is quite narrow because of the stairways. I sometimes wonder when someone will get accidentally shoved onto the tracks by someone barrelling along reading their iPhone with headphones on.

by Anonymousreply 4804/03/2013

This morning I was sitting on the SUbway T Redline against the rail. There's 1 seat opens between me and teh other lady. This big man came in and forced himself into the seat without regards of others, and I was pushed against the rail in discomfort. His behind and legs were half into my seat and I had no place to move around. I said to him - I'm against the rail, cannot move. He said 'OK'. I said to him - you are squishing me. He said 'Yeah, I'm not gonna move.' I got up and move myself to see that he took 1.5 seats. I have no problem with how and what people do with their life style, but they do not have the right to take from other people. And I do have the right to my seat, regardless of your lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 5010/04/2013

The fat people should not take up seats, in fact they should be forced to lie on the floor of the train , so normal sized people can sit on them, like big overstuffed sofas.

by Anonymousreply 5110/04/2013

[quote]Yet a big fat man will still make more money than a thin woman,

You wanna bet on that?

by Anonymousreply 5210/04/2013

and their fat little kids can be our footstools.

by Anonymousreply 5310/04/2013

Will you be squeezing that grease out of your moobs, R54?

by Anonymousreply 5510/04/2013

They should sit on your face.

by Anonymousreply 5610/04/2013

Just make the doors more narrow so only thinner people can get on the subway.

by Anonymousreply 5710/04/2013

My God, this is hilarious, listening to all you sewer train riding sub-human mole people bitching about each other.

Why don`t you all just be nice, get along, go to work everyday and keep making us money until you finally die ?

by Anonymousreply 5810/04/2013

Maybe the systems should alternate. Subway. Freight train. Subway. Freight train.

by Anonymousreply 5910/04/2013

Why are some DLers so obsessed with fat people?

Why did you even bother to post this?

by Anonymousreply 6010/04/2013

"Then you have no reason, need or right to be here, you shit stirring, uptight, humorless troll."

The shit-stirrer is the OP.

by Anonymousreply 6110/04/2013

STOP picking on fat people. Without them we would have no need for crowd control

by Anonymousreply 6210/04/2013

I highly doubt there is a fat person that wouldn't rather be skinny or normal sized. I can't even imagine how uncomfortable it must be to be obese. Losing weight for these people isn't easy. I am as turned off by obese people as anyone, but hating them isn't going to make anyone skinny, they probably hate themselves more than you do. Who ever gets to the seat first gets the seat. Regardless of their size.

by Anonymousreply 6310/04/2013

If they strapped the Fat to the front of the train , they could finally get those tunnels cleaned out.

by Anonymousreply 6410/04/2013

No, the fat cunts should walk.

by Anonymousreply 6510/04/2013

You take up two seats, you should pay two fares. Why should I experience discomfort due to someone else's lack of self control.

by Anonymousreply 6610/04/2013

No, they should not have to stand.

I wouldn't want to be in their shoes, and I'm sure they aren't happy being obese. It's not exactly a choice for them, I have no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 6710/04/2013

What people shovel into their mouths is most definitely a choice.

by Anonymousreply 6810/04/2013

R67, I don't think they have a dis morphia that makes them appear thin to themselves, so yes it would appear most of them enjoy being fat.

by Anonymousreply 6910/04/2013

To discourage parents from giving their kids seats there was an ad campaign on subways and buses ... "Little Enough to Ride For Free, Little Enough to Ride Your Knee."

by Anonymousreply 7010/04/2013

I'm an inherently fat phobic guy who was essentially raised to believe fat people are lazy. However, even though I'm thin, I loathe the concept of "fat shaming." Fat people are judged every second of their life. Why should we go out of our way to find methods to humiliate them?

by Anonymousreply 7110/04/2013

Fat people should stand because it will help them lose weight and because it's funny to watch them stumble around.

White people like Wayne Brady because Wayne Brady makes Bryant Gumble look like Malcolm X.

by Anonymousreply 7210/04/2013

Happiness is seeing someone fatter than I.

by Anonymousreply 7310/04/2013

What's a subway?

by Anonymousreply 7410/04/2013

I'll stand and burn the calories.

by Anonymousreply 7510/04/2013

All fat people should be gathered up like the cattle are and have a bolt shot through their head. Anyone with a waist over 36 is disgusting and does not deserve to live.

by Anonymousreply 7610/04/2013

Basically, it's a seat for each butt-cheek.

by Anonymousreply 7710/04/2013

[quote]Fat people should stand because it will help them lose weight and because it's funny to watch them stumble around.

It won't be so funny when one of them loses his balance and lands on you.

by Anonymousreply 7810/04/2013

Fat people are tired. They have been carrying around a hundred extra pounds all the day.

Do you pick on drug addicts and alcoholics this way? I doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 7910/04/2013

[quote]It won't be so funny when one of them loses his balance and lands on you

See that's the beauty of forcing the Fat to lie on the floor, they cannot land on you if you are comfortably seated upon a large comfy Fattie.

by Anonymousreply 8010/04/2013

[quote]Do you pick on drug addicts and alcoholics this way? I doubt it.

Seriously, queen?

by Anonymousreply 8110/04/2013

Addicted to drugs, booze or food...what's the difference?

Except junkies don't even fill a seat, and the drunks are usually already lying on the floor. It's the Fat who take up too much room.

by Anonymousreply 8210/04/2013

"Do you think fags just don't give a fuck because they are so scorned by society? Don't you think their image would improve if they didn't do stuff like this?"

by Anonymousreply 8310/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!