Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Before "The Sound of Music" there was

"Die Trapp-Familie" (1956)

by Ilsa: She-wolf of the SSreply 2304/03/2013

Interesting...

by Ilsa: She-wolf of the SSreply 104/02/2013

I saw this in a theater in the 50s. I remember loving the music. When The Sound of Music came out I was a little disappointed.

by Ilsa: She-wolf of the SSreply 204/02/2013

What is it, you cuntface?

by Ilsa: She-wolf of the SSreply 304/02/2013

Oh how fabulous. Didn't realise TSOM was a remake, aside from the stage show. Least it's shorter. But no Climb Ev'ry Montain = fail.

by Ilsa: She-wolf of the SSreply 404/02/2013

[quote]What is it, you cuntface?

OMG, that's so funny. You're so original!

by Ilsa: She-wolf of the SSreply 504/02/2013

It doesn't matter how derivative S.O.M. was, that doesn't make The Book of Mormon into a great musical.

by Ilsa: She-wolf of the SSreply 604/02/2013

[quote]What is it, you cuntface?

Shouldn't it be "Was ist es, cuntface Sie?" by Mutter Oberin?

by Ilsa: She-wolf of the SSreply 704/03/2013

Here, R5 -- let me do it for you, as you're medicating your piles.

OMG, das ist so lustig. Du bist so original!

by Ilsa: She-wolf of the SSreply 804/03/2013

It is interesting that Robert Wise used the same color palette, costume and set design, and pretty much the same script...how much did Roger's and Hammerstein base the play on this screenplay, I wonder?

by Ilsa: She-wolf of the SSreply 904/03/2013

[quote] I wonder why there was no movie sequel to THE SOUND OF MUSIC?

Georg was hiding under Liesel's skirt and alas, they couldn't reunite the cast.

by Ilsa: She-wolf of the SSreply 1104/03/2013

[quote]OMG, das ist so lustig. Du bist so original!

"Originell" is better in this sense. There's a slight nuance.

by Ilsa: She-wolf of the SSreply 1204/03/2013

OP, I saw Ilsa: She Wolf of the SS when I was a teenager, and it's still the most disgusting film I've ever see. It may have been my youth, but I'm not taking a chance on seeing it again.

Haven't thought of it in MANY years.

by Ilsa: She-wolf of the SSreply 1304/03/2013

A couple of years ago I read speculation that Maria was in fact bi-polar, which makes sense. Would explain why the convent wanted her out of there as she grew older, and why they thought she'd be a good fit in the Von Trapp family.

by Ilsa: She-wolf of the SSreply 1404/03/2013

"A couple of years ago I read speculation that Maria was in fact bi-polar, which makes sense. Would explain why the convent wanted her out of there as she grew older, and why they thought she'd be a good fit in the Von Trapp family."

Why - do bipolar people usually make good governesses, r14?

by Ilsa: She-wolf of the SSreply 1504/03/2013

[quote]the hardships they endured getting visas

I can't believe no one musicalized that part. It sounds a natural for the stage.

by Ilsa: She-wolf of the SSreply 1604/03/2013

The bi-polar theory makes a lot of sense. Maria was a kind and loving person who could snap and turn harsh and cruel in a split second to the confusion of those around her.

She displayed her manic side when they arrived on Ellis Island on a guest visa. When the authorities asked how long the family intended to stay in the USA, she cheerfully blurted out, "Oh, I hope we NEVER leave!" thereby blowing their chance of slipping into the country unobtrusively.

by Ilsa: She-wolf of the SSreply 1704/03/2013

Baron Von Trapp was first in the navy and then after retiring travelled away from home frequently (mentioned a couple of times in the movie.) With 5 or 7 kids across a spectrum of ages there would be enough activity and behaviors so that Maria's mood changes might fade into the background on the large estate with lots of servants.

In the convent's closed system her mood changes and behavior would be disruptive, and the old nuns would have seen similar bad results in other cases (see lyrics for "How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria?") I've also read the show's producers found Maria problematic and discuouraged her visits to the stage production.

by Ilsa: She-wolf of the SSreply 1804/03/2013

It is amazing how similar many of the visuals are to The Sound of Music. I hadn't realized that many of the fictional elements that embellish the true story have their origins in this film - like the father being a strict disciplinarian and Maria making play-clothes out of old drapes. We've heard the real Von Trapps express dismay at the inaccuracies of the musical. I wonder how they felt about this film.

Among the chief differences from TSOM is that this shows the Von Trapps losing their money before leaving Austria. It also includes Father Waxner, the priest they took in as a boarder who then became their musical director. It's funny to see the family slip away from their villa under cover of night in a scene reminiscent of the musical then suddenly they're on Ellis Island looking at the Statue of Liberty as Swing music plays in the background. Presto: instant emigration, to hell with climbing ev'ry mountain!

by Ilsa: She-wolf of the SSreply 1904/03/2013

THey saved mountain climbing for Vermont, R19.

by Ilsa: She-wolf of the SSreply 2004/03/2013

Those girls all turned into Fraus.

by Ilsa: She-wolf of the SSreply 2104/03/2013

Thanks OP. I have this on a bootleg DVD.

by Ilsa: She-wolf of the SSreply 2204/03/2013

In 1959 - 1960, this film got a re-release to tie in with the success of THE SOUND OF MUSIC which had just opened on Broadway.

by Ilsa: She-wolf of the SSreply 2304/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.