Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

One in four Americans think Obama may be the antichrist, survey says

One in four Americans think Obama may be the antichrist, survey says

Poll asking voters about conspiracy theories reveals alarming beliefs – including 37% believing global warming to be a hoax

Paul Harris in New York;, Tuesday 2 April 2013 18.10 EDTt

About one in four Americans suspect that President Barack Obama might be the antichrist, more than a third believe that global warming is a hoax and more than half suspect that a secretive global elite is trying to set up a New World Order, according to a poll released on Tuesday.

The survey, which was conducted by Public Policy Polling, asked a sample of American voters about a number of conspiracy theories, phrasing the questions in eye-catching language that will have the country's educators banging their heads on their desks. The study revealed that 13% of respondents thought Obama was "the antichrist", while another 13% were "not sure" – and so were at least appeared to be open to the possibility that he might be. Some 73% of people were able to say outright that they did not think Obama was "the antichrist".

The survey also showed that 37% of Americans thought that global warming was a hoax, while 12% were not sure and a slim majority – 51% – agreed with the overwhelming majority view of the scientific establishment and thought that it was not. The survey also revealed that 28% of people believed in a sinister global New World Order conspiracy, aimed at ruling the whole world through authoritarian government. Another 25% were "not sure" and only a minority of American voters – 46% – thought such a conspiracy theory was not true.

At least some of the insane theories suggested by the poll were dismissed by large majorities. For example, only 7% of Americans in the survey believed the moon landing was faked, 14% believed in Bigfoot and 4% accepted that "shape-shifting alien reptilian people control our world by taking on human form". In other good news, Paul McCartney will be relieved that a mere 5% of respondents believed that he died in a car crash in 1966 and was replaced by a double so the Beatles could continue their careers, and just 11% embraced the concept that the US government knowingly allowed the terror attacks of 11 September 2001 to take place.

The survey was carried out in order to explore how voters' political beliefs impact on their willingness to embrace conspiracy theories – it did indeed find that the partisan divide that is blamed for many problems in Washington DC also extends to the world of paranoia, aliens and Sasquatch. For example, when it comes to thinking global warming is a hoax some 58% of Republicans agreed and 77% of Democrats disagreed. While 20% of Republicans believed Obama is the antichrist heralding the End Times, only 13% of independents did and just 6% of Democrats.

"Even crazy conspiracy theories are subject to partisan polarization, especially when there are political overtones involved. But most Americans reject the wackier ideas out there about fake moon landings and shape-shifting lizards," said PPP president Dean Debnam.

by Anonymousreply 3904/03/2013

The international press must have a fucking gape-jawed field day with this country.

by Anonymousreply 104/02/2013

I've seen that line somewhere else today, r1. Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 204/02/2013

well if he is, he is sure is mighty damn slow about doing anything anti-Christic. In fact , he is much more likely to be the second coming of Christ than the anti-Christ.

by Anonymousreply 304/02/2013

It is clear that 25-30% of Americans are happily ignorant. You get the same percentages who think Sarah Palin was qualified to be President, who think W was a great President, who think Obama is a Kenyan Maoist Communist, etc. These polls always over in the 30% range whenever there is a batshit question.

by Anonymousreply 404/02/2013

They are fudging it to make it sound worse. They start off saying one in four think Obama might be the anti-Christ. Then they say it was 13% who said he might be and 13% who don't know. The don't knows do not even understand what the word "antichrist" is supposed to mean. That is not the same as the other 13%

13% are insane, everyone knows that. Another 13% are illiterate, everyone knows that.

England has the Royal Family so they've got their own weird shit that people believe in, too. And they have to pay for that, unlike believing in Bigfoot.

by Anonymousreply 504/02/2013

Obama doesn't fit the profile. The Anti-Christ comes from within the church and Obama is barely a Christian.

Some mainstream Christians think that the anti-Christ is the Papcy. Not a specific Pope, but rather the office of the papacy. I don't reemember the details.

by Anonymousreply 604/02/2013

This is really pissing me off. Politicians taking credit for all my hard work.

by Anonymousreply 704/02/2013

Does that mean Michelle's in on it?

by Anonymousreply 804/02/2013

It makes his getting elected even more impressive.

It means he got 2/3rds of the non insane votes.

by Anonymousreply 904/02/2013

Thank God only 11% think 9/11 was an inside job. That had me worried. I thought it would be much higher.

by Anonymousreply 1004/02/2013

If that's true (and it most likely isn't) it only means that 25% of the American public are clinical imbeciles.

by Anonymousreply 1104/02/2013

OP, one in four Americans couldn't locate Mexico, Canada, Europe or the USSR on a map either.

by Anonymousreply 1304/02/2013

Is this stupid Brit tabloid fodder?

by Anonymousreply 1404/02/2013

I'm more inclined to believing Obama is the anti-christ than Global Warming being real and caused by human activity.

by Anonymousreply 1504/02/2013

"OP, one in four Americans couldn't locate...the USSR on a map either."

I'm surprised 100 percent couldn't because it's not there any longer.

by Anonymousreply 1604/02/2013

And yet that the US government let 9/11 happen is not a theory but a proved admitted fact. The only question is whether or not they made it happen and at one time more than a third believed they did. In other words, the American people will believe it if told by someone in authority.

by Anonymousreply 1804/02/2013

[quote]OP, one in four Americans couldn't locate Mexico, Canada, Europe or the USSR on a map either.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 1904/02/2013

[quote]Thank God only 11% think 9/11 was an inside job. That had me worried.

Get going, President Cheney!

by Anonymousreply 2004/02/2013

Like my father would say "They don't know nothin".

by Anonymousreply 2104/02/2013

Well he could be Illuminati, but probably not the anti-christ just a worshipper.

by Anonymousreply 2204/02/2013

LOL guys you caught me being lazy. I guess I should have said the "former" USSR countries.

by Anonymousreply 2304/02/2013

[quote]Have you every thought someone with community organizer credentials and only 147 days in the Senate wound up in the White House?

Hi Freepy! I guess you are counting the days Obama served before he announced his candidacy, and not the actual time he served. Of course you omit the time he served in the Illinois House, and that the term "Community Organizer" basically means a local politician who serves without the perks.

Why is it so difficult to believe that someone who wasn't a white governor whose father was already President won the Presidency AND the popular vote and a commanding total of Electoral votes, and didn't need the Supreme Court to secure the job for him?

by Anonymousreply 2404/02/2013

Christians are really stupid.

Seriously, people who believe shit like this shouldn't be allowed to vote.

by Anonymousreply 2504/02/2013

The Book of Revelations was a crazed add-on edition to The Bible. John and Matthew to Revelations you can see clearly that they just don't mix. To go from the gospels of Mark, Luke, J It was probably written by the equivalent of the conspiracy loving militia fanatics of today. Matter of fact, many of the older versions of The Bible didn't even include Revelations. It was tacked on by the crazies.

by Anonymousreply 2604/03/2013

25% of the country also still believes Bush was a great President, so there's that.

by Anonymousreply 2704/03/2013

Fox News: "One in Four US Adults Suffer Mental Illness, Substance Abuse"

by Anonymousreply 2804/03/2013

Once the old fogeys who watch Fox News all day finally kick the bucket our country will be a much better place.

It's like how the South became so much more pleasant once all the racist good ole' boys started dropping like flies.

by Anonymousreply 2904/03/2013

Obama can't be the anti-Christ. The anti-Christ must be a Christian and Obama is a Moslem.

by Anonymousreply 3004/03/2013

r30, we're sure you meant Muslim.

by Anonymousreply 3104/03/2013

....and America has almost all of the worlds weapons. Terrifying!

by Anonymousreply 3204/03/2013

No one cares. Except those Christian extremists. Also it makes me laugh that GOP try to attack Obama by labeling him an Antichrist whereas America is believed to have freedom of religion.

by Anonymousreply 3304/03/2013

I think the article is complete made up hogwash. I could believe it if it said 1 in 4 republicans believe Obama is the antiChrist, but not 1 in 4 Americans.

by Anonymousreply 3404/03/2013

Whether you believe the Bible to be the word of God or no, I've always been fascinated by the fact world peace is the necessary precursor to the anti-christ.

Why would early Christians be opposed to world peace and a unified world such that they warn against it as the sign that the end is nigh?

Christian Revelations essentially makes world peace impossible. At the same time, they all claim to want the Rapture and the second coming of Christ. Should they want to expedite the process by favoring US government policy toward the creation of one world government?

by Anonymousreply 3504/03/2013

This is ridiculous. Of course if there was an anti-Christ it would clearly be either Dick Cheney or Karl Rove. However, Obama would be their lead henchman.

by Anonymousreply 3604/03/2013

Forfucksake, how many anti-Christs are there? They've said Bill Clinton is the anti-Christ, Sadam was the anti-Christ, John Lennon was the anti-Christ, Elvis was the anti-Christ, Harry Potter is the anti-Christ, Jim Morrison was the anti-Christ, Charles Manson is the anti-Christ. Quite honestly, its like the title anti-Christ doesn't mean anything any more.

by Anonymousreply 3704/03/2013

I heard about a TV movie that tried to blame 9/11 on Bill Clinton and Jerry Falwell and his cronies used to say HE was The Antichrist ,so I wouldn't worry.They say that about every Democrat elected to a second term,and vice-versa.

by Anonymousreply 3804/03/2013

In the future, everyone will be the anti-Christ for 15 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 3904/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!