Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Claremont Cockrum and Byrne

Their X-Men run -- Giant-Size 1 through Uncanny X-Men 150 was great, great stuff.

Rich characters, plot twists, exotic and faraway locales.

It was -- dare I say it? Great soap opera.

by Lockheed reply 804/03/2013

Yes. Apparently you dare say it.

by Lockheed reply 104/03/2013

no the OP said soap opera... close the thread(note the sarcasm)

by Lockheed reply 204/03/2013

It WAS great--one of the best runs on a comic ever. Unfortunately the "Days of Future Past" storyline, so great in and of itself, laid the groundwork for years of the most boring and convoluted plotlines ever--Chris Claremont could just not break himself for years of his obsession with that alternate timeline.

the artwork was stunning, especially for the classic "Fate of the Phoenix" story from x-MEN #137 with the giant fight between the X-men and the Imperial Guard in the Blue Area of the moon.

by Lockheed reply 304/03/2013

Totally agree. That was likely the best run of a conventional-superhero comic ever.

Did John Byrne ever evolve past his homophobia in the 80s?

by Lockheed reply 404/03/2013

Can you explain the Byrne homophobia?

by Lockheed reply 504/03/2013

Oh, I love those issues.

by Lockheed reply 604/03/2013

Days of Future Past was GREAT reading Do you think they'll get it even close to right on film?

by Lockheed reply 704/03/2013

In the late 70s, Byrne gave an extensive interview with one of the fan journals (I think The Comics Journal?) where he kept using the word "faggot" over and over extremely pejoratively--I don't remember in what contexts other than one: to complain about the way the Angel (Warren Worthington) wore his hair.

I think he did evolve beyond this. he was one of the first writers for DC or Marvel to depict a homosexual relationship sympathetically: between Maggie Sawyer, the chief of police for Metropolis, and her divorced girlfriend in SUPERMAN. Before that he wanted to make it clear that the superhero Northstar was gay in ALPHA FLIGHT, but Marvel's notoriously homophobic editor at the time Jim Shooter wouldn't let him come right out and say that, so he implied it instead. Later, after both Shooter and Byrne had left Marvel, other writers building on what Byrne had done had Northstar explicitly out himself.

by Lockheed reply 804/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.