Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Are you patriotic? What would you do for your country?

To be honest, I'm not. I just hate my country and everyone and everything. If it were threatened, I really couldn't care less. I'd just move to another country.

by Anonymousreply 1404/02/2013

Yeah. It's why the Republican right wingers bug me so much. Nothing patriotic about keeping the people down.

by Anonymousreply 104/02/2013

OP. can I buy your ticket?

by Anonymousreply 304/02/2013

If our country were attacked I would be all for protecting ourselves etc. I was all for tracking down Al Qaeda. I was not for then invading the whole of Afganistan and bringing the Taliban to their knees. Getting Al Qaeda was the ball that was dropped in favor of invading Iraq and destroying the Taliban.

I do not think our "troops" protected us from anything invading Iraq. In fact they did just the opposite by increasing world wide recruitment in Al Qaeda.

by Anonymousreply 404/02/2013

Any nation is only as good as the electorate.

by Anonymousreply 504/02/2013

I've new affiliated with military since I was 18 (ROTC, active duty, and now as a reservist and civilian). I'm 32 and I've learned that countries I used to idealize are just as fucked up (England, Germany, and Ireland). I have it pretty good and I've sworn to defend our nation.

by Anonymousreply 604/02/2013

I'm a law-abiding, tax-paying citizen of the United States. Isn't that enough? Do I have to belong to some quasi-religious cult of nationalism on top of that?

by Anonymousreply 704/02/2013

I stand at baseball games and get choked up during the national anthem.

by Anonymousreply 804/02/2013

R8 I only stand if I am playing and fuck the national anthem.

by Anonymousreply 904/02/2013

I consider voting, speaking my mind and opinion about government and it's policies, as well as living openly as a gay citizen to be hugely political and patriotic acts.

by Anonymousreply 1004/02/2013

R4 The military does not choose where they go to fight.

We, the electorate, chooses the leaders* and it is the leaders who can get us into a conflict.

In the case of Afghanistan/Iraq...it was Bush and Cronies.

The USA is a tiny minority of the world's population, but we use over 25% of the stuff in the world.

Without the military, and our technical advantages, we would be overrun. But yes, the war in Iraq probably did not make us safer.

Right now, the US is the policeman of the world, so if the US got invaded, OP...you won't have much luck in other countries.

* Unless the Supreme Court over rules the vote.

by Anonymousreply 1104/02/2013

[quote]R6: I've learned that countries I used to idealize are just as fucked up (England, Germany, and Ireland).

Why in the world would you "idealize" Germany?

by Anonymousreply 1204/02/2013

I've always been patriotic. I love this country and am glad I was born here.

by Anonymousreply 1304/02/2013

I prefer this country and I feel extremely lucky to be born here.

by Anonymousreply 1404/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.