Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Condom Use - UTI

My partner of 37 years and I are in a monogamous relationship were fortunate to have been paired early enough to avoid AIDS. I am in my in my late 50's. I have been searching the web for Gay Health support and can't seem to find the answer. Please give me links if you any. My issue is over the past few years I have had several urinary tract infection so my Dr. recommended a urologist. These seem to pop up every 6-8 months. Usually a round of Cipro is recommended and does the trick. But this urologist says I should start wearing condoms every time we have anal sex. I am a top. Have I missed something? It has not been an issue in the past. I thought the Cipro was just knocking back the infection and not completely getting rid of it? Anyone with the same issue?

Maybe DL should start a Men's Health forum?

by Anonymousreply 6104/05/2013

OP I have the same situation as you (although I am younger) Monogamous, long term relationship, top who never wears a condom. Theres no pretty way of putting this. The fecal matter in your partner's ass manages to get into your vas deferens, and presto: UTI or bladder infection. My bf is very good about, ummmm...cleaning everything inside and out (in fact I worry sometimes he is compulsive about it) but all it takes it the tiniest microscopic amount. It doesnt happen very often with me, in fact, its been a real long time since the last one. I dont take anything, I just drink lots of cranberry juice.

by Anonymousreply 104/02/2013

Not sure, OP. I know some chick got pissed at me one time because she said I gave her a UTI by going from her ass to her pussy, so something about anal sex seems to cause them.

by Anonymousreply 204/02/2013

OP, try urinating then washing your dick immediately after anal. Pissing will help to clean out anything that might have gotten lodged up there.

by Anonymousreply 304/02/2013

[quote]so something about anal sex seems to cause them

It's the shit, Brenda.

by Anonymousreply 504/02/2013

[quote]Maybe DL should start a Men's Health forum?

DL had that about a dozen or so years ago. It was back in the era when there were DL editorials regrding gay news and events. Those were the days my friend. We thought they'd never end.

by Anonymousreply 604/02/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 704/02/2013

R8 Please go back to what ever "school" it was you attended and punch your teachers in the face. When they ask why you did it, tell them its because they never taught you to read.

by Anonymousreply 904/02/2013

If the anus isn't a sexual organ, why does it feel so good when you are having intercourse with it? Are anuses tools of Satan? Possessed by demons? Some of you Xtian fundies who post here are so incredibly stupid, you cast people like Sarah Palin in a bad light.

by Anonymousreply 1004/02/2013

Skin glue.

Really... buy it in a spray can, give the tip a light seal. Your ejaculation will blow it off but it prevents bacteria from getting in during the fucking. Just with draw after you shoot off.

by Anonymousreply 1104/02/2013

Keep taking Cipro and you'll eventually land yourself in a wheelchair. The crippling side effects of that stuff is NO JOKE...Google it.

by Anonymousreply 1204/02/2013

Have your partner douche with buttermilk before you go up into him.

by Anonymousreply 1304/02/2013

Start drinking cranberry juice.

by Anonymousreply 1404/02/2013

Why do men have that delightfully sensitive gland, shaped like a walnut, that provides intense pleasure when penetrated?

by Anonymousreply 1504/02/2013

If you can get a UTI from letting the urethra of your penis touch the water in the toilet bowl when you do #2 you can certainly get one from drilling someone up the ass bareback. Your doctor is correct. Either get your partner to douche like a mofo before sex or put a rubber on it.

by Anonymousreply 1604/02/2013

UTIs are usually caused by E. Coli bacteria that is usually found in feces. No matter how much douching your partner does, you may still get it. You really should use a condom.. As the other poster said, pee right away after sex to flush it out but you should also be well-hydrated. Drink lots of water because as you age, the sense of thirst decreases. Another thing that helps is eating yogurt with probiotics.

by Anonymousreply 1704/02/2013

It's not just the bladder that can get infected, the prostate can, too. My partner once had a persistent case of prostatitis and when they finally took a culture it showed up as e-coli. We're in a LTR, but are still sticking with the condoms for all of the other benefits.

by Anonymousreply 1804/02/2013

Same problem throughout my 11 year (monog) relationship. I noticed they're a lot more likely to happen during stressful periods. Oh well, that's life.

by Anonymousreply 1904/02/2013

OP, you did not "avoid AIDS." No one "avoided AIDS." 50,000 Americans died of AIDS between 1981 and 1991. Millions of people worldwide are living with HIV in this moment. New cases of HIV infection are on the rise in the US, particularly among young men, particularly black and Latino men, particularly in the southeastern US. AIDS has not gone away, and everyone alive in the US today has been affected by it.

by Anonymousreply 2004/02/2013

Oh yeah, and the warnings on cipro are indeed scary. Who really knows, but I'd try to avoid it and take a different antibiotic.

by Anonymousreply 2104/02/2013

That's a cool idea, R11.

UTI's hurt/burn like a bitch and you feel like you have to pee constantly. The common thread with mine has been that I have only gotten them when vigorous oral sex was involved (hetero female). UTI's can be caused by ANY bacteria (not necessarily fecal) that gets up into the urethra. So for me, yeah, it was someone's dirty mouth that gave it to me. Maybe OP should consider the fact that he might be getting UTI's from his bf's toilet mouth, not necessarily his spotless ass.

Anyway, whenever I've gotten one I had to take a pill that turns your pee orange. Can't think of what it is, but it clears things up in a few days.

by Anonymousreply 2204/02/2013

Nobody avoided AIDS.

A whole generation of people was wiped out. Various industries never really recovered from the loss.

People who've been living with HIV for the past 20 years are running into all kinds of problems now that they're in their 50s and 60s, and we are all going to be dealing with the medical difficulties and emergencies of our long-term AIDS-surviving lovers and friends.

Young gay men do NOT think of AIDS as a problem they should worry about, they see it as a chronic manageable disease, and they are getting themselves exposed to HIV at a scarily high rate.

No one has avoided AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 2304/02/2013

OP, this has been a main reason for condom use for me. It cuts down on UTI's

by Anonymousreply 2404/02/2013

Uva ursi is a good herb for UTIs. Can get tinctures or dry herb for tea. Won't kill ya like Cipro. Cranberry juice is also good. Do you know why? Cranberry juice makes the urethra slick so bacteria cannot cling to it.

But if you're getting UTIs with stress, that tells me you could do some preventive care with probiotics and eating well (reduce or eliminate sugar, and think about the same with wheat). Probiotics make a difference in how often you get sick, or affected by stress. Since you commonly get UTIs, ingest any or all of these, daily: yogurt, kefir, kombucha, unpasteurized krauts and kimchees, probiotic pills (Bio Kult is a good one, but there are many brands).

Sugar feeds unhealthy bacteria, making them proliferate inside you. Wherever you're weak, that's where you'll have problems. But if you fight those microscopic *Republicans inside of you by reducing sugar and increasing probiotics, you can shift the balance of your health. At minimum, you can reduce the occurrences, perhaps you can eliminate them altogether.

*This was a joke. I really mean bacteria. Was going to write bastards at first, and figured most would understand.

by Anonymousreply 2504/02/2013

Have you ever had a urinalysis, OP? I had what I thought was a UTI and it turned out to be a gonorrhea infection from my ex who was cheating. Cipro took care of it after I was diagnosed but my urologist prescribed Bactrim first before I knew it was an STI. UTIs are very rare in men so definitely get checked to be sure that it's not something else.

by Anonymousreply 2604/02/2013

R22 Rifampin turns urine orange, is that what you took?

by Anonymousreply 2704/02/2013

Not Rifampin, its Pyridum or AZO, Urostat, etc. which are the brand names for phenazopyridine HCL.

Agree with everything that R25 said. Stress and sugar plays havoc with the immune system as well as not being well-hydrated. Don't drink too many sodas or coffee because the caffeine irritates the inner lining of the urethra; caffeine dehydrates you.

Yes, the usual culprit that shows up in UTIis usually E. Coli...trust me.

by Anonymousreply 2804/03/2013

[quote]so something about anal sex seems to cause them.

This is jeanyus.

by Anonymousreply 2904/03/2013

Thanks for all the useful responses and for you others "GET A LIFE". I am still interested in reading and finding out about issues we all have and share (no pun intended). All lives have ups and downs but keeping the keel pointed toward that distant star is the reality. My/Our generation lost so many fun creative people.

Links if you have any.

by Anonymousreply 3004/03/2013

I'm not R22, but I believe the drug the poster took was a sulfa drug that was commonly prescribed for UTIs. The drug initially turned the consumer's urine bright orange, sometimes even red at first, gradually lightening to its normal color.

by Anonymousreply 3104/03/2013

No, no, the drug that turns R22's urine orange is Pyridium, see R28. It is a medication that women usually buy over the counter to relieve the symptoms but it doesn't get rid of the infection. You need an antibiotic for that. First line of defense for UTIs is Sulfa, then Macrobid or Keflex, etc. and finally Cipro as last resort.

by Anonymousreply 3204/03/2013

I still think you're a smug insensitive asshole for saying you "avoided" AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 3304/03/2013

Perhaps you're a whore, darlin'?

by Anonymousreply 3404/03/2013

a dirty mouth gave this female a whopper of a yeast infection.

well, it was either a dirty mouth or dirty nails.

by Anonymousreply 3504/03/2013

I was prescribed a sulfa drug for a UTI. I was very grateful to my pharmacist for warning me about my urine color, because the next time I peed it was red, then it turned orange and gradually back to normal.

Women have gotten tired of the endless cycle of antibiotics for UTIs. They work temporarily, but they cause side effects and the infection returns. That's why there's so much self-medicating now. I had a UTI a year ago and treated it with cranberry tablets and uva ursi.

by Anonymousreply 3604/03/2013

If the anus isn't a sexual organ, neither is the penis (another waste disposal device) or the mouth (the starting end of the digestive system.)

by Anonymousreply 3704/03/2013

R37 - or the vagina, which is REALLY just a baby delivery portal.

by Anonymousreply 3804/03/2013

R23 Amen! I don't know why people think the AIDS crisis is 'over'. Many people my age (late-40's) who did not become infected back in the day are almost sighing relief that they were lucky, and now it's over and they can play. That scares the hell out of me. The few friends I didn't lose in the '80s and '90s have developed such a non-chalant attitude about HIV/AIDS that they likely will become infected (if they're not already).

Many people under 30 do not take it seriously because there is no fear because they think it's curable or just a minor inconvenience like taking a pill in the morning to control it. The Public Service Announcements on TV about AIDS in the '80s and '90s scared the living hell out of me and made me very cautious.

There are no longer any warnings about HIV/AIDS on TV. That is a major failing of the government and CDC in recent years. Scary.

by Anonymousreply 3904/03/2013

[quote]Nobody avoided AIDS

I have.

by Anonymousreply 4004/03/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 4104/03/2013

Dudes! You're getting microscopic bits of fecal matter in your urethra! it travels up into your body! Duh?

And FYI, it's not just your bladder that can become infected. Your prostate and your testicles can get attacked by it too. (Called prostatitis or Epididymitis) Epididymitis is the Most painful thing everrrrrrrr! doubled over with No relief from the pain for two weeks. Could barely walk. Feels like you got kicked in the nuts.

Don't put your BARE dick in a butt, and this won't happen! Wear a condom.

by Anonymousreply 4204/03/2013

Oh, those pesky urologists who pop up every six to eight months....

by Anonymousreply 4304/03/2013

Okay I hear ya!

Second Question.

What are the best Condoms?

by Anonymousreply 4404/03/2013

please stop being such martyr queens and yelling at the OP for saying he and his partner "avoided" AIDS. Clearly he meant they avoided dying of the disease. Nothing wrong with that statement. Those of you calling him "insensitive" and "wrong" are fucking lame. You don't get to have it both ways...demanding that society understand that AIDS/HIV is "not just a gay disease" and then nailing yourself to a fucking cross every time someone has a comment about AIDS that you don't like. Guess what? Lots of good people died of AIDS (and are still dying of AIDS) and lots of good people didn't. We don't need to canonize those who did and discredit those who are still alive. Living with HIV doesn't give you a Get Out Of Jail Free Card and permission to be an insufferable cunt to anyone who isn't HIV positive. It's inhumane and unfair. Should OP have died so that you could include him in your soap box speech? For all you know, OP's entire circle of friends and lovers died. In fact, you don't know shit about OP's experience, so lay off the hysterical bullshit. His post was about UTI's, not your take on how he should have responded to the AIDS crisis. Grow the fuck up.

PS - poz here for over 20 years, so yes I 'll fucking weigh in on the topic

by Anonymousreply 4504/03/2013

No kidding, R45.

by Anonymousreply 4604/03/2013

what r45 said.

by Anonymousreply 4704/03/2013

Like several posters have said, always pee after sex -- even if you feel like you don't have to pee, try to get some urine out.

I've heard of the UTI-susceptible taking a preventive dose of Cipro each time they have sex.

Probiotics have damn near changed my life. Not only as far as urinary tract issues but also in keeping the digestive flora well-maintained. They're a bit pricey but well worth it.

by Anonymousreply 4804/03/2013

Ultimate 10 Probiotics from The Vitamin Shoppe are very affordable.

by Anonymousreply 4904/03/2013

Second Question.

What are the best Condoms?

by: OPtreply 44t04/03/2013 @ 05:26PM

Curious, too...

what are the best condoms for use with Gun Oil (oil based lubes)

by Anonymousreply 5004/03/2013

R45, just a little niggle if I may. We unclutch our pearls. We unclench our buttocks.

by Anonymousreply 5104/03/2013

Bravo, R45!

I'd just like to add that the OP was trying to explain why he and his partner haven't felt the need to use condoms up to now. There would have been a lot of tut-tutting about that too if he hadn't.

by Anonymousreply 5204/03/2013

Another nod for R45. Well expressed. And so effin' true.

by Anonymousreply 5304/03/2013

R[51]:

i guess that depends on where the pearls in question are being held :-)

by Anonymousreply 5404/03/2013

Does the skin glue really stay on during vigorous fucking, R11?

by Anonymousreply 5504/03/2013

I'm celibate but hump my mattress alot...can i get a UTI this way?

If yes, is there any way I can prevent this?

by Anonymousreply 5604/04/2013

R55 yes.

by Anonymousreply 5704/04/2013

R56 made me LOL for a good long while.

by Anonymousreply 5804/05/2013

R56, is your mattress the top or the bottom?

by Anonymousreply 5904/05/2013

What causes prostatitis?

by Anonymousreply 6004/05/2013

I wish I knew. I have recurrent prostatitis and nothing seems to get rid of it. It's more an annoyance than anything but it's frustrating I can't get rid of it. Have tried every solution known to big pharma and homeopathy.

by Anonymousreply 6104/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.