Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Trying To Find A Gate For A Kitten

I had a gate (vertical metal bars) for my previous cat that I put between the doorway, to stop it from being able to get to the stairs that lead to the second floor. The trouble I'm having now is finding a gate with metal bars that are set close together, close enough that it won't allow a kitten the space to squeeze through it. The gate I had previously could be extended/expanded by twisting the rails. It wasn't a gate that was nailed into the wall. You could extend the rods enough that it would brace itself to the wall.

Any suggestions? I'm stumped. I really don't want the little guy getting up to the bedrooms, at least not until he's fully grown. The steps are a bit steep. Cats don't care though. It's like when they climb up trees, and it doesn't occur to them that they may not be able to get down.

Here's the kind of gate I had.

by Anonymousreply 1604/01/2013

Let the little bastard on the steps! If you don't he's going to rebel and end up living in a trailer, cooking meth for his toothless neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 104/01/2013

Ive had this problem too. You need to do some Southern Engineering. I used some cardboard from a box flattened out and attached to the gate like you're using with zip ties so it was like a solid wall. Not exceptionally attractive, but in a few months the cat will be big enough to not fit through the rails.

by Anonymousreply 204/01/2013

You realize that fence-and-gate structure is going to work for around four weeks.

by Anonymousreply 304/01/2013

Gates work fine.

by Anonymousreply 404/01/2013

Really, R4? With a cat?

by Anonymousreply 504/01/2013

r5, I used it for years successfully with my last cat.

by Anonymousreply 604/01/2013

We wove some wide strips of webbing between the bars. It worked for about two months until the cat was big enough to leap over the gate.

by Anonymousreply 704/01/2013

Why cant your cat come upstairs?

by Anonymousreply 804/01/2013

[quote] until the cat was big enough to leap over the gate

That's what I'm talking about.

by Anonymousreply 904/01/2013

The thing with webbing is that they can use their claws and scale it. I placed my gate in the doorway, which is actually the bottom step. The gate was even higher than if it had been placed at the bottom on the floor. My cat could try to jump it all he wanted, but there was no way he could jump THAT high.

by Anonymousreply 1004/01/2013

if you don't want him to climb....get a dog. Maybe you can get a dog that doesn't bark too.

by Anonymousreply 1104/01/2013

It just depends on the cat. Some don't.

by Anonymousreply 1204/01/2013

[quote]Why cant your cat come upstairs?

It's a kitten. I know my stairs. It will definitely either get stuck in the middle of them, unable to climb the rest, or slip and fall. I had an animal accident years ago. My stairs are wooden. They're not carpeted.

Don't worry, I've got cat trees galore on the first floor. He'll get to climb.

by Anonymousreply 1304/01/2013

[quote]if you don't want him to climb....get a dog. Maybe you can get a dog that doesn't bark too.

by Anonymousreply 1404/01/2013

Tinfoil works for everything. Use R7's idea and add tinfoil.

by Anonymousreply 1504/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 1604/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!