Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Top of the Lake

Anyone watching this? Caught the first three episodes over the weekend (4th airs tonight) and it's pretty great. Just 7 eps total.

Elisabeth Moss is fantastic. Her accent isn't perfect (it takes place in New Zealand), but she underplays it and it works. Not sure what Holly Hunter is doing, but she's fun to watch.

Cinematography is stunning - truly beautiful. Great story.

by Anonymousreply 2901/30/2014

I'm watching it. I'm intrigued. I still haven't decided quite what I think about it other than that it's worth stick around to figure it out.

by Anonymousreply 104/01/2013

I've been watching it and I really like it.

I completely agree about Elizabeth Moss, I never expected her to be so good. You're right about it being understated, but I think the subtlety is what makes it a brilliant performance.

The other actors, including the one who played the young girl are also fantastic.

And gods yes on the cinematography. New Zealand is breath-taking.

by Anonymousreply 204/01/2013

What channel is it on?

by Anonymousreply 304/01/2013

It's on the Sundance channel, but I've been downloading the torrents to watch (that channel is not available where I live).

by Anonymousreply 404/01/2013

How can it not be great? Jane Campion wrote/directed half of the episodes.

by Anonymousreply 504/01/2013

E. Moss = cyantologyst (sic) = GMOTD

by Anonymousreply 604/01/2013

Yeah, I wish EM wasn't a clam, but she's good enough in this (and in Mad Men) that I can forget about it while I watch the show. Thankfully she's not too vocal about it, so it's easier to ignore.

by Anonymousreply 704/01/2013

I give her a pass though because she grew up in it, and her parents are kinda hippie-like from what i've read.

So I don't think they're one of those really psycho cos'ers.

I mean Giovanni Ribisi grew up in it too, and while he has issues, they don't seem $cientology-related.

I think it's the same as Christians who grew up that way and consider themselves so in their adulthood, when it isn't actually a big thing for them either way.

by Anonymousreply 804/01/2013

Elizabeth Moss is terrific, but that comes as no surprise. The series, though, is too hardscrabble for me. Raggedy ass, beaten down people living rough in squalid shacks, dogs on chains, a palpable mean streak in the air...the natural scenery doesn't make up for the desperation of the place.

by Anonymousreply 904/05/2013

I can't take Elizabeth Moss seriously, knowing her cult worships aliens.

by Anonymousreply 1004/05/2013

Actually Moss' accent rarely slips. She's doing a good job as someone who grew up in NZ but has lived and worked a long time in Sydney.

by Anonymousreply 1104/06/2013

I'm loving it, but I have a question --

Does anyone know what's wrong with the water in the lake? They keep saying it can kill you, starting with Tui when she walked into the water at the beginning of the first episode. And then later when the realtor went into the lake.

Is it poisonous somehow? Is this a NZ thing?

by Anonymousreply 1204/06/2013

R12, I thought it was because bodies of water are absolutely freezing on the South Island- very close to the Antarctic. But it also works to symbolize the deadly secrets/damage the characters are carrying around...

by Anonymousreply 1304/06/2013

Johnno was naked in the last episode. I wanna see closeup pictures.

by Anonymousreply 1404/10/2013

wow. was this our only thread about this stunning show? we've had longer discussions about baseball games.

by Anonymousreply 1504/24/2013

Sundance Channel isn't offered in high definition on my city's cable system. It was agony to watch this in grainy standard def, knowing how beautiful it was supposed to be. Fortunately iTunes sells an HD version for download.

by Anonymousreply 1604/24/2013

It took me a while to warm up to it, but I stuck around and I ended up loving it. It's some of the best TV I've seen in a long time, and Elizabeth Moss and Peter Mullen were wonderful. Bravos all around!

by Anonymousreply 1704/24/2013

Netflix streaming has it.

by Anonymousreply 1804/24/2013

Beautiful, bizarre, and a great story, too.

by Anonymousreply 1904/24/2013

Thanks, R18.

by Anonymousreply 2004/24/2013

I thought it was great. Peter Mullan was terrifying as Matt through most of it, but by the end I felt sympathy for him. Al really screwed him over.

The actor who played Johnno was fucking sexy.

R16, if you have ONdemand, go to TV Shows and you can watch it in HD there. While Sundance isn't offered in HD, the playbacks are, oddly enough. I had missed the first four airings, so I went back and watched them all from on demand, then I had to suffer a bit when it played on Monday night. Went back to watch all the remaining episodes in HD and it was worth it. Plus, it was compelling enough for a rewatch.

Was it everyone else's understanding that Matt hadn't really gotten his daughter pregnant, but that Al tampered with the blood work? It made me wonder if he hadn't come up with that bit about Matt not being Johnno's birth father, as well.

by Anonymousreply 2104/24/2013

[quote]Was it everyone else's understanding that Matt hadn't really gotten his daughter pregnant

That was certainly my conclusion. In my view, this is pretty clear, although I've seen online discussion / debate about it. I thought the reveal in the final episode about Al's house was an unambiguous indicator of how Tui got got pregnant, and why she blamed "no one" (and why she didn't know how "the baby got in there.")

Less clear to me is why she ran into the woods in the first place. Yes, her home life was awful, but it was not clear to me why being pregnant would trigger her flight.

The sub-plot about the women's compound at the Lake was kind of fascintating, but I do wish it would have been more directly connected to the plot and its resolution.

In the same way I think The Killing was underappreciated, I think Top of the Lake is getting a little more love than it deserves. Still, overall it was excellent television.

by Anonymousreply 2204/24/2013

I am halfway through, so I didn't read the posts that reveal spoilers.

I was about to watch the first episode last night, but ended up watching three (till 2am!). This is one of those shows that one can easily watch in one sitting.

I just love that the show is not only about the actual crime, but also love, families, communities, sex, illness, death... There is all kinds of cruelty, but also love in the show. I love the humor, which is very Jane (if you recall her early films) and very Down Under.

Moss is wonderful (sexy, thoughtful, vulnerable) and the guy she has the hots for is sexy.

Can't wait to watch the rest.

by Anonymousreply 2305/01/2013

I have one more episode to watch so I am waiting to read this thread but wanted to bump it up. I never warmed up to Elizabeth Moss as Peggy on Mad Men but love her in this show.

by Anonymousreply 2405/07/2013

I took from the ending that Tui's baby was a product of her being roofied, Matt was not the father. Although since the police guy Al lied about Matt being the father of the baby you have to wonder if he lied about Robin's boyfriend not being Matt's son.

by Anonymousreply 2505/07/2013

I really liked it, but saw the ending coming a mile away.

Holly Hunter obviously thought she still owes Jane a favor for The Piano, as her role wasn't worth the time it took to fly to NZ.

by Anonymousreply 2606/18/2013

Just finished watching the entire show.

Moody and Bizarre. Overall I would only call it OK.

People that like explanations won't enjoy this show. Just about every 'mysterious' concept introduced in the show was still a mystery at the end.

That Michfest-equivalant commune in the middle of a can that function? They all lived in shipping crates and somehow had power in what looked like a pretty off-the-grid location.

It was very pretty to look at and the majority of the acting was top-notch.

by Anonymousreply 2707/30/2013

A television first: a detective that does no actual detective work!

Suddenly, in episode 6 she decides to bring up charges after spending 5 episodes hanging out in a cabin, fucking Johno, ignoring the Realtor guy who gets drowned in ep 1, having rape flashbacks, asking a few half-assed questions and watching her mom die.

by Anonymousreply 2809/03/2013

I thought there was a good possibility that Al was lying about Matt being the father of Tui's baby to cover his own ass, as well as lying about Matt NOT being the father of Johnno so he could stick it to Johnno and Robin both.

by Anonymousreply 2901/30/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!