Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

WSJ publishes bitter rant from high school senior that got rejected everywhere

To (All) the Colleges That Rejected Me: If only I had a tiger mom or started a fake charity. By SUZY LEE WEISS

Like me, millions of high-school seniors with sour grapes are asking themselves this week how they failed to get into the colleges of their dreams. It's simple: For years, they—we—were lied to.

Colleges tell you, "Just be yourself." That is great advice, as long as yourself has nine extracurriculars, six leadership positions, three varsity sports, killer SAT scores and two moms. Then by all means, be yourself! If you work at a local pizza shop and are the slowest person on the cross-country team, consider taking your business elsewhere.

What could I have done differently over the past years?

For starters, had I known two years ago what I know now, I would have gladly worn a headdress to school. Show me to any closet, and I would've happily come out of it. "Diversity!" I offer about as much diversity as a saltine cracker. If it were up to me, I would've been any of the diversities: Navajo, Pacific Islander, anything. Sen. Elizabeth Warren, I salute you and your 1/32 Cherokee heritage.

I also probably should have started a fake charity. Providing veterinary services for homeless people's pets. Collecting donations for the underprivileged chimpanzees of the Congo. Raising awareness for Chapped-Lips-in-the-Winter Syndrome. Fun-runs, dance-a-thons, bake sales—as long as you're using someone else's misfortunes to try to propel yourself into the Ivy League, you're golden.

Having a tiger mom helps, too. As the youngest of four daughters, I noticed long ago that my parents gave up on parenting me. It has been great in certain ways: Instead of "Be home by 11," it's "Don't wake us up when you come through the door, we're trying to sleep." But my parents also left me with a dearth of hobbies that make admissions committees salivate. I've never sat down at a piano, never plucked a violin. Karate lasted about a week and the swim team didn't last past the first lap. Why couldn't Amy Chua have adopted me as one of her cubs?

Then there was summer camp. I should've done what I knew was best—go to Africa, scoop up some suffering child, take a few pictures, and write my essays about how spending that afternoon with Kinto changed my life. Because everyone knows that if you don't have anything difficult going on in your own life, you should just hop on a plane so you're able to talk about what other people have to deal with.

Or at least hop to an internship. Get a precocious-sounding title to put on your resume. "Assistant Director of Mail Services." "Chairwoman of Coffee Logistics." I could have been a gopher in the office of someone I was related to. Work experience!

To those kids who by age 14 got their doctorate, cured a disease, or discovered a guilt-free brownie recipe: My parents make me watch your "60 Minutes" segments, and they've clipped your newspaper articles for me to read before bed. You make us mere mortals look bad. (Also, I am desperately jealous and willing to pay a lot to learn your secrets.)

To those claiming that I am bitter—you bet I am! An underachieving selfish teenager making excuses for her own failures? That too! To those of you disgusted by this, shocked that I take for granted the wonderful gifts I have been afforded, I say shhhh—"The Real Housewives" is on.

Ms. Weiss is a senior at Taylor Allderdice High School in Pittsburgh.

by Anonymousreply 19404/04/2013

Had she been accepted into an Ivy League school, she'd turn into Susan Patton in 30 years.

Bitch can't accept failure.

by Anonymousreply 104/01/2013

r1, you're lying about what "failure" is. I like her honesty. She doesn't necessarily sound like an ultimate student deserving of an Ivy slot, but her main point is true: she didn't play the game of padding her application with stupid pointless shit, and was penalized for it.

The best colleges are rejecting REAL diversity by insisting that all their students be high energy resume builders. Some of the smartest students despise that shit because it's usually done for admisstions purposes anyway.

I played the game and got into a decent school, but it wasn't genuine and I still resent having to fake all of it.

by Anonymousreply 204/01/2013

She sounds like a bitter person who didn't deserve to be accepted.

by Anonymousreply 304/01/2013

So, r2, you're saying most kids who get into an Ivy League school pads their resume?

by Anonymousreply 404/01/2013

r4, I don't mean they pad it as in lying about it necessarily. They often do the activities, but it's done only for the purpose of putting it on an application. I guess I'm biased because in my experience, the always-busy club-joining types are lousy people and certainly no more worthy of ivy degree.

by Anonymousreply 504/01/2013

Oh FANK YOU!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 704/01/2013

Who the fuck doesn't know that being all over the yearbook and killing the SAT is what colleges are looking for? Shit, every kid knows that. She sounds like a compete douche, blaming everyone else for her fuck ups. No wonder a Murdoch rag would print it.

by Anonymousreply 804/01/2013

R2, I agree and appreciate your honesty. If you're not an extrovert you can look bad on paper. However, it doesn't mean you'd be a bd student or not fit into university life.

I'm an introvert, and I've been faking my way through life since I was smart enough to realize who gets ahead in life.

by Anonymousreply 904/01/2013

According to gawker, her sister is an editor at the WSJ. So at least she knows the value of working connections...

by Anonymousreply 1004/01/2013

Well, if those snooty colleges will not look at her application, I can tell you that WE will certainly welcome her application.

by Anonymousreply 1204/01/2013

Tell us, R11, in your estimation who is permitted to have legitimate problems?

by Anonymousreply 1304/02/2013

Miss Thing Miss Thing Miss Thing Miss Thing

She had to pawn her diamond ring

She went on down to Burger King

But found they weren't hiring.

by Anonymousreply 1404/02/2013

If she didn't have anything to put on her application besides her grades, what exactly was she doing with her time?

by Anonymousreply 1604/02/2013

Isn't this the definition of the "helicopter" parenting thread?

by Anonymousreply 1904/02/2013

I think "helicopter" and "tiger mom" are different. The first implies a parent who hovers around and is very controlling; the second implies one that forces the child to overachieve.

by Anonymousreply 2004/02/2013

Dear Miss Suzy:

We at Hamburger University would love to review your resume.

by Anonymousreply 2104/02/2013

R20 - The result of helicopter parenting, leading to entitled brats who have no real life skills. Read the thread.

by Anonymousreply 2204/02/2013

When did getting into the school of your choice become an inalienable right?

Acceptance rates to top schools are incredibly low. Lots of great students don't, who could do well at those schools, don't get in to one or several of their choices.

by Anonymousreply 2304/02/2013

If she had been a straight-A student and prepared for her SATs, she would've gotten into a good college.

She didn't study and wants to blame everyone, including minorities, for taking "her" place.

Notice of all the things she wishes she could do if she could live her life over, studying doesn't make the list.

Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 2404/02/2013

Freeper bait. Fuck her and hope she enjoys Youngstown State.

by Anonymousreply 2504/02/2013

Faking the bullshit is unfortunately a life long chore. You have to do it to get a job, advance in your field, and on and on. It's in your personal life too, like having to tolerate in-laws that you can't stand and such. Better to learn to hold your nose and plow through it when your young. Try to fight against it and you're just pissing in the wind.

by Anonymousreply 2604/02/2013

She thinks it's her parents' fault that she has no hobbies or interests.

by Anonymousreply 2704/02/2013

Well little girl,

Colleges are looking for students who manage their time well and make contributions to the greater good. It's not all about grades and test scores. The colleges need to keep the campus community rolling, which means they look for the kids who might write for the school's newspaper or join an a cappella group or do research made possible by a grant to the school. Applicants demonstrate their potential contributions by being involved in activities outside the high school classroom.

There are plenty of colleges out there. How much research did you do to find all the schools which will fit your needs? Not everyone makes it to the "Ivy walls." You can get a great education anywhere if you make it your goal to do it. Opportunities, and how you respond to them, will be looked at in your first professional job interview. If the opportunities don't exist, create your own.

No one is entitled to a college education at the school of your choice. You need to earn your way in.

by Anonymousreply 2804/02/2013

That essay isn't even Ivy League quality. She should have aimed for a state school at best.

by Anonymousreply 2904/02/2013

Where did she apply?

by Anonymousreply 3004/02/2013

I agree with her (and I did get into an Ive League college). All the BS to get into a good school is ridiculous. She's right.

by Anonymousreply 3104/02/2013

You do need to show that you're academically qualified. That seems legitimate. But the focus on extracurriculars is BS.

by Anonymousreply 3204/02/2013

[quote]Who the fuck doesn't know that being all over the yearbook and killing the SAT is what colleges are looking for? Shit, every kid knows that.

It was tough to make out your little rant what with the rancid privilege bubbling out all over it. Who the fuck doesn't know? Every kid knows that? Fuck your narrow entitled piehole.

by Anonymousreply 3304/02/2013

I agree with her that all the emphasis on extracurriculars and volunteering is bogus. It's not done with any sincerity. The main purpose is to build resumes.

However, she's lying when says anyone told her to "just be herself" to get into the college of her choice. Sounds like she thinks the top schools should just fling the doors open and admit anyone who wants to attend, which is ridiculous. They get thousands of applications for relatively few spots so competition is fierce.

So, what is her problem with going to a small, local school with little to no admissions requirements? She can still go to college and earn a degree at a school that matches her qualifications. She can "just be herself" at Slacker State University.

by Anonymousreply 3404/02/2013

Don't most Ivy schools offer a tuition benefit to fulltime office workers? UPenn used to offer six credits a semester, to anyone.

kif she *really* wanted to go to one, she could do it that way or just not matriculate at first.

I do love the essay, however. The power-tripping repsonses are very telling.

by Anonymousreply 3504/02/2013

R26,

Independnet thinkers who don't let othes or "society" impose their whims on others are not a requirement to deal with unless one is an approval-seeking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 3604/02/2013

This could have been a funny essay had it not contained all that condescending racist and homophobic snide remarks.

"If I had two moms".

"I would have gladly worn a headdress to school."

"Show me to any closet, and I would've happily come out of it. "Diversity!" "

"If it were up to me, I would've been any of the diversities: Navajo, Pacific Islander, anything."

"Sen. Elizabeth Warren, I salute you and your 1/32 Cherokee heritage."

"write my essays about how spending that afternoon with Kinto changed my life."

Kinto? Fuck you, bitch. That's so racist.

by Anonymousreply 3704/02/2013

I wonder how it would have gone over if instead of Kinto, she said "I wish I had gone to China and tutored Ching Chong."

by Anonymousreply 3804/02/2013

Is this the kind of personal essays that Lena Dunham's character writes on Girls?

by Anonymousreply 3904/02/2013

Wow, I was reading the comments on the WSJ thinking everyone was going to rip her a new one but everyone LOVES her! WTF??

Would'nt be surprised if this talented young lady is running a company some day...stocked with employees from the "elite" schools that rejected her.

This young woman is amazing. To see the truth of the world, and express it with such clarity (and engagingly) at that young of an age?

Truth is ... I hope the Ivy League rejects her ... she's not even 18, and has already seen that the Emperor Has No Clothes.

What talent. What perception. Don't know where you'll be in college girl ... but if you want an internship ... PM me.

Boy, did these colleges screw up!

t

This "girl is on fire".......... one I would "hire"...........a very wonderful "writer"..........adorable.......good luck child but you probably won't need it.

Very impressive! Your piercing awareness and analytical ability are outstanding. No top university can teach these skills. Keep your edge, but use it constructively (as I am sure you will).

BTW, I printed copies of your article for my 13 year old son and 11 year old daughter.

You are an exceptional writer. If I were you, I would return the original of each rejection letter to the attention of the Director of Admissions at those universities together with a copy of this article and a sticky note asking them to reconsider their decision. You've got guts. You've got talent. And, your tenacity speaks volumes.

I don't know how your GPA or standardized test scores compare to the other 35,000 applicants for 1,500 or so positions in the top Ivys -- but I do know you are destined for success regardless of where you attend college.

Suzy, I'm sorry to be so late in congratulating you on your refreshing common-sense (not to mention superb writing skills).

I hope those college admissions directors and college presidents who are so preoccupied with their politically "correct" liberal gospel and dogma in creating some kind of artificial "diversity" understand who they've overlooked.

You'd make any good school proud.

by Anonymousreply 4004/02/2013

They only want "type A" sociopaths - either the rich kind, or the ruthless non-rich that clawed and stomped over everyone else. What charming leaders of tomorrow they shall be!

by Anonymousreply 4104/02/2013

I like the Elizabeth Warren line. At least she's been published in the WSJ now which is a high achievement for someone headed for a community college!

She's a good writer.

by Anonymousreply 4204/02/2013

The newspaper loves it because they like anything that attacks gays, or women, or minorities - as do the people responding approvingly. The old Foxnews rightwing brainwashing. There is something rotten about the whole school system but a truthful analysis (it's all about money) will never be told, so they are all happy with the old distractions.

by Anonymousreply 4304/02/2013

You "like the Elizabeth Warren line"? You mean you like hearing it again. Didn't we hear that hundreds of times by the right-wing during the election? Wouldn't a "good writer" come up with something a little more original?

by Anonymousreply 4404/02/2013

My niece had two moms and got into Dartmouth on full tuition/room and board paid. Of course, both her moms worked full-time cleaning condos and setting them up for the next timeshare tenants. My niece also worked two part-time jobs. And she volunteered at a dog and cat rescue center, ran a yearly fundraising event. Tutored kids in math. Got near perfect scores on her SATs. And she never pisses and moans about how unfair life is. What is she doing wrong?

by Anonymousreply 4504/02/2013

Poor thing was turned down by Barbizon and Gal Mar Hair Academy.

by Anonymousreply 4604/02/2013

[quote] everyone LOVES her! WTF??

This is the only thing that makes me feel bad for her. Instead of getting the reality check she needs, and her delusions are being fed by other over-entitled idiots, further delaying her passage to adulthood.

by Anonymousreply 4704/02/2013

R44, you're not a very good reader, like a lot of people on this thread, you're just having a knee jerk reaction. She's not criticising Warren she's just satirising a moment. This is satire people.

by Anonymousreply 4804/02/2013

That is why psychos are drawn to psychos - they want to wallow in their insanity, forever

by Anonymousreply 4904/02/2013

I am sure the WSJ is publishing it as "satire."

by Anonymousreply 5004/02/2013

Her parent's house was featured in the WSJ recently.

by Anonymousreply 5204/02/2013

r40: Her sister is an editor at the WSJ. The comments sre rigorously chosen and edited. There is no way they are going to print those which rip her a new asshole.

by Anonymousreply 5304/02/2013

April Fools?

by Anonymousreply 5404/02/2013

The headline says she didn't get into *any* colleges. But from the article's text, I gther she did not get into her first-choice schools. One assumes she got into a safety. She can try to transfer after her first year, as I did and a number of friends of mine -- and to some very selective schools.

I would have more sympathy for her if she'd applied with very high test scores. Without those, her application would be toast unless there were a *really* good backup story (attending class full-time while working a full-time job, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 5504/02/2013

She has twice my entitlement and none of my smarts!

by Anonymousreply 5704/02/2013

How the fuck did she get that rant published in the Wall St. Journal? She bitches about nepotism and unfair advantages...am I to believe the WSJ just plucked this screed from their daily mountain of unsolicited editorials, recognized its "brilliance" and decided to run it on its own merits?

What strings did Suzy Lee Weiss's father pull to get that dreck published? What favors were called in? Who'd her mom blow? Seriously, WTF?? With those connections she must be one HELL of an underachiever if they weren't able to get her into at least one of the lesser Ivies.

Are we supposed to feel sorry for this cunt?

by Anonymousreply 5804/02/2013

R58, see R53.

by Anonymousreply 5904/02/2013

Well, she is more than welcome at our institute of higher learning

by Anonymousreply 6004/02/2013

Sorry, didn't read the thread but OF COURSE her sister is a WSJ editor, and mom and dad's manse was profiled there as well.

These are the people we shoot first when the revolution finally comes. Cannot believe the assholes defending them in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 6104/02/2013

r58, relax, it is uncovered that sister is an editor for WSJ. Let the kid have her moment, big fucking deal.

by Anonymousreply 6204/02/2013

MY brother could have written the same letter in 1978. He ended up going to medical school in another country.

by Anonymousreply 6304/02/2013

[quote] She's a good writer.

No, she isn't.

She's over the top. Her writing is immature and too much of a rant. She could have made her point with much less ranting, less racism, less homophobia, less denigration of the people who did the things she didn't do and more insight.

It takes a certain amount of subtlety, insight, maturity to be a good writer. It's not just a matter of spelling correctly and using good grammar and punctuation. Anyone can write a rant these days. The internet is full of ranters.

Rightwingers love rants, but educated people don't. I can imagine what her admission essay was like.

by Anonymousreply 6404/02/2013

"The result of helicopter parenting, leading to entitled brats who have no real life skills"

The people with poor life skills are generally the ones raised by single parents or parents who didn't care or were never around. Just go to any jail and ask the prisonsers about their backgrounds. But "helicopter parents" are the favorite DL boogiemen of the moment...

"I like the Elizabeth Warren line."

Because you're a freeper with a low IQ

by Anonymousreply 6504/02/2013

[quote]Suzy Lee Weiss

A Chinese-American Jew can't get into a good school?

by Anonymousreply 6604/02/2013

She sounds racist.

by Anonymousreply 6704/02/2013

If she's a middle class white girl who didn't figure all of this out in high school then she's got no one but herself to blame. It doesn't say what schools she applied to, but if they were top schools, why would those schools choose such a dull slacker type? I'm sure the local community college or even a state school would have her. But of course she reeks of entitlement and she likely doesn't think those schools are good enough for her.

by Anonymousreply 6804/02/2013

Has any other media called out this girl's nonsense and the nepotism?

by Anonymousreply 6904/02/2013

You expect the right wing media in this country to call her out on her bullshit? Not a chance.

by Anonymousreply 7004/02/2013

What R10 said.

by Anonymousreply 7104/02/2013

She sounds like one of those charming people who, one day, will be sharing pearls of wisdom on how to bring up our little-ones as well-rounded human beings.....

by Anonymousreply 7204/02/2013

[quote]Has any other media called out this girl's nonsense and the nepotism?

Caity did yesterday on Gawker, hilariously.

by Anonymousreply 7304/02/2013

Wow! Where to start? First, the schools didnt lie to her when they told her to be herself. They very well may have said that. But Im pretty certain that's not the only thing they said. She was also told what her minimum GPA should be and her SAT score. The fact that she actually admits her score was not good enough and never once mentions her grades tells us everything we need to know. She didn't cut it. She's not good enough.

And how could she not know that colleges like to see lots of extracurricular activities and volunteering and community support etc.? Every kid in America who plans on going to college knows that. If her guidance counselor in school didnt tell her that, certainly she must have heard it from her fellow students. There is really no excuse outside of the obvious: she is too lazy and too self entitled to feel she has to play by the same rules as everyone else.

Now, perhaps she has a point about those who did fill their time with all sorts of insincere activities and projects just so they could pad their resume and make a good impression. But guess what, princess? Thats life. You think you're never going to do that again? Wait til you go on a job interview. Wait til you go on that interview with the co-op board. Wait til you try to find a man. Wait til you meet his parents. Getting ahead in life often requires one to give a little more of themselves than they normally would in order to beat the pack. She chose to do the absolute minimum of what was required. I take that back. She did less than minimum.

She comes across as a bigot and a whiny mediocre who is always willing to play the victim. No wonder a conservative paper like the WSJ would publish her letter.

by Anonymousreply 7404/02/2013

R2, I wasn't "lying" about her failure. She failed to get into her dream school.

by Anonymousreply 7504/02/2013

According to r75, when gay people are prevented from marrying, it's their own personal failure.

by Anonymousreply 7604/02/2013

She's a stupid, vapid bitch who's totally the product of entitlement.

Her parents were profiled in the WSJ, and her sister is a journalist there.

Muffy is mad because no one told her she couldn't just sit around all day and queef and get what she wanted.

She should become a writer for "Girls". I'm sure Lens Dunham would become her soul sister forever in a hot fucking second.

by Anonymousreply 7704/02/2013

The SATs are so easy now and grade inflation so prevalent that anyone who doesn't have good SATs and grades is a bona fide idiot.

Blaming minorities is ridiculous.

As far as extra curriculars, yes, students do pad their resumes, but recruiters can usually tell what most of them mean. Moreover, most students have them today, not just a privileged few. After all, with most high school students not in the workforce, they have to do be doing something other than homework with their free time.

by Anonymousreply 7804/02/2013

[quote]She sounds racist.

She's clearly racist and homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 7904/02/2013

If her name was LaShonda instead of Weiss, she wouldn't have been publised no matter what she said.

by Anonymousreply 8004/02/2013

Excellent catch, r52!

"While the couple had admired Mr. Jacobsen's work for years, they also have college tuitions looming for their four daughter"—three, anyway!

by Anonymousreply 8104/02/2013

Nonsense R82

by Anonymousreply 8304/02/2013

Let's see, R82, blacks comprise 6% of the population at Harvard compared with 13% of the general population. Are you another one of those failures trying to blame minorities for your own shortcomings?

by Anonymousreply 8404/02/2013

Her parents have four acres in Shadyside and she doesn't realize she had a leg up on all her admissions applications just from the quality of her neighborhood and its schools?

by Anonymousreply 8504/02/2013

r76, if a student wants to get into a good school and fails to accomplish that based on her lack of ability, then she's a failure.

by Anonymousreply 8704/02/2013

Another approach to just being yourself....

by Anonymousreply 8804/02/2013

Some folks are saying she's being misunderstood due to her concluding paragraph, but I think she just tacked that on so she can be a hatin' hoe under the cover of plausible deniability.

I'd love to know where she did get accepted.

by Anonymousreply 8904/02/2013

but r87, it wasn't lack of "ability." If you think it was, you're either lying or didn't read the essay.,

by Anonymousreply 9004/02/2013

R90 Did you miss the part where she admits her SAT score was not good enough?

by Anonymousreply 9104/02/2013

She admits her SAT scores were bad and tellingly never offers her GPA or any indication of her grades, her study habits, her course load or where she ranked among her classmates.

I'm guessing she was a C+ or maybe a B- student. I also suspect both she and her parents ferociously lobbied beleaguered teachers for inflated grades all through her school years.

She's a whiny millennial who thought just being her precocious, spoiled, entitled self would magically open doors for her, doors that others work very hard to open and that many more deserving people have slammed in their faces.

by Anonymousreply 9204/02/2013

I'm not saying I'm charmed by this person, but the college competition and application process is disgusting. It's necessary, perhaps, but a disgusting douchebag circus at its most wretched.

by Anonymousreply 9304/02/2013

r95, it's not "failure" if you're unjustly denied. I don't know her grades or SATs but I do know that the criticism she levels at the admissions process and the irrelevant BS they sometimes value is valid.

by Anonymousreply 9604/02/2013

What's with the idea that extracurriculars are bullshit? I was involved in tons of shit and it was all my choice because I liked it. I was in plays, took piano lessons, was on the Mock Trial team (because I got to miss class), worked a crap job in the summer to save money. I didn't go to Africa, my parents didn't push me particularly hard, my grades were decent, I kicked ass on the ACT and got into a good music school.

Sounds like this girl has no interests. What college wants that?

by Anonymousreply 9804/02/2013

I guess she would have born around 1996?

This may be the first time she didn't win a sticker or ribbon or trophy for something.

Must suck.

Though not as badly as that writing!

by Anonymousreply 9904/02/2013

What a twat. Who in their right mind would think it was a good idea to write this let alone publish it? And to quote Chris Rock "None of ya would change places with me! And I'm rich! That's how good it is to be white!" This cunt has every opportunity in the world and she still blew it.

by Anonymousreply 10004/02/2013

She really wrote that? Not bad.

Forgetting the politics, it reads like a Maureen Dowd piece.

by Anonymousreply 10104/02/2013

While this particular case might be a bad example, the posters who seem just as bitter as she is, but in reverse (which seem to be most of you), are a little extreme. Universities and colleges reject plenty of qualified and overqualified students, which is something they are all open about. But that doesn't make things completely fair, as things such as someone's family background are considered at some of the more upper crust institutions.

And the extracurricular thing? There's no way to know why students do them, unless it's indicated well by something of the student's independent publication, etc. It is all often packaged and presented for show, or is a product of the subconscious obligation to compete.

by Anonymousreply 10204/02/2013

[quote]Universities and colleges reject plenty of qualified and overqualified students,

True, but that is not the case here. She pretty much admits she wasn't qualified.

by Anonymousreply 10304/02/2013

R103, I said it this was a bad example. I was addressing what comes off as the overblown and overgeneralized response on this thread. While I'm at it though, many C and B students in high school could feasibly do quite well at Harvard. It's all relative.

by Anonymousreply 10404/02/2013

You mean I was supposed to get good grades, do well on my SATs, do a minimal amount of community service and do an extracurricular activity, like music or swimming?

Well, EXCUUUUUUUSE MEEEEE!

by Anonymousreply 10504/02/2013

Translation:

She thought her parents' money alone would get her in.

by Anonymousreply 10604/02/2013

[quote] While I'm at it though, many C and B students in high school could feasibly do quite well at Harvard.

Of course. Because Harvard gives gentleman's Cs to the George W Bushes and Al Gores, so it works put quite well for them.

by Anonymousreply 10704/02/2013

People like this never learn. She will be resentful and envious with an exaggerated idea of the privileges of others her whole life.

by Anonymousreply 10804/02/2013

I wonder if her parents were legacies at any of the colleges. The Gawker piece pointed out that she failed to address the obvious weakness in the admissions policy.

by Anonymousreply 10904/02/2013

R107 Gore graduated with an A.B. cum laude from Harvard. In case you didnt know, you need better grades than a C for that to happen.

by Anonymousreply 11004/02/2013

Is the rejectee sane?

by Anonymousreply 11104/02/2013

Her problem is not that she didn't get accepted at any of the schools she wanted. Her problem is that she stupidly thinks going to a state school, or a non Ivy league school somehow means she'll get a lesser education.

by Anonymousreply 11204/02/2013

Sounds like a stupid cunt who has to call out minorities and others because of her failure to be interesting, desirable as a freshman, or in any way the type of person good schools want.

Little heifer. Dime a dozen. Dull. Loser. Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 11304/02/2013

[quote] Colleges tell you, "Just be yourself."

And the army tells you to be what you can be.

So why not join, if you believe everything people tell you?

by Anonymousreply 11404/02/2013

Anyone who was worried that when all the angry old white people died that there would be no one to replace them can now rest easy. Suzy has a bright career ahead of her as a future Republican.

by Anonymousreply 11504/02/2013

How many people who did get into their first choice of college or university could say, once they'd studied there, that it was the right choice for them? I know plenty of people who succeeded in getting accepted at their target school and then ended up dropping out or transferring because it just wasn't the right fit for them.

Different schools have strengths and weaknesses in whatever areas of study they offer and even the most prestigious school might be weak in the field you ultimately end up majoring in (this happened to me and threw a major wrench into my career path.)

by Anonymousreply 11604/02/2013

[quote]How many people who did get into their first choice of college or university could say, once they'd studied there, that it was the right choice for them?

I can. They had at the time the best department for what I wanted to study. Transferring to another school, even one with a better reputation, would have been a mistake.

by Anonymousreply 11704/02/2013

Do Ivy League schools accept undeclared majors?

by Anonymousreply 11804/02/2013

This whole school shit is complete meaningless bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 11904/02/2013

R119 = Proud owner of a GED.

by Anonymousreply 12004/02/2013

Wrong, I'm afraid, R120...by a few degrees. Your response, like the whole of "academia" is completely predictable, though.

by Anonymousreply 12104/02/2013

r120, how many threads have we had on here about the decline of university education where professors have made the same point as r119?

I remember a lot of them.

It's not about learning and knowledge anymore, it's about money and cliquish influence.

As to her politics, you could substitute the opposite and still have a point.

Making it political only obscures the main issue.

by Anonymousreply 12304/02/2013

R85, it sounds more like the down side of Squirrel Hill, towards the river, than Shadyside.

And anyway, four acres in Shadyside, she wouldn't need college.

by Anonymousreply 12404/02/2013

This is what happens when you list Future Cunts of America on your application.

by Anonymousreply 12504/02/2013

I can't believe there hasn't been a thread about Susan Patton on DL. Now there's a piece of work.

by Anonymousreply 12604/02/2013

She's just mad she couldn't get into a top school so she could take the avdice of that mom and marry one of those newly-minted, unemployed laswyers who are suing their law schools for misleading them about job opportunities (new thread please?).

How come no one is calling those law students out on that? Perhaps instead of suing their law schools, they could lower their rates, and take cases for regular people who'd love to have an attorney?

by Anonymousreply 12704/02/2013

Susan Patton and Ms. WSJ have the same personality traits. It's really interesting that their "articles" came out at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 12804/02/2013

My niece did not get into one of the Ivy League schools she applied to. She was upset for all of one day and got over it. She has been accepted so far by one of the second tier ivy league schools and is thrilled.

This article from the NYT is from 2007 but still applies today.

by Anonymousreply 12904/02/2013

R86, 4 percent, that's usually a typical drop when AA is not utilized.

But what's that got to do with this story?

by Anonymousreply 13004/02/2013

This is why this rant gets on my nerves - not all schools are Harvard who can and do get the top over achievers who cured cancer by the time they graduated kindergarten. I have no problem with that. Over achievers deserve to be in a place that will challenge them and provide them with opportunities just like everyone else.

What gets me about this rant is that she is disappointed that no one wanted her despite the fact that she has done nothing on her own. If the only way you would do something is that you have to, no one will want you. And having been through various admission processes, both for myself and friends and daily, I can tell you that the colleges can see right through made up activities and genuine participation. Admission officers can read right through the entitlement to the point that now, even if you have been to Africa and saved an entire village, you would be hesitant to put it in, because everyone else was on the same village saving trip through their summer camp.

No, what colleges want to see is real commitment, real initiative, hard workers who will give the schools as much as they get out of them. at least the good schools do.

Did she really think that just breezing through high school with minimal effort and not at the very least acing her grades would get her to a highly selective school? Why? Does she not know that she is competing with, on average, another 20,000 for 1,000 spots? Doesn't she think she needs to be able to offer something other than gracing the school with her presence?

by Anonymousreply 13104/02/2013

I don't know exactly what you mean, R107, but Harvard is not an amazingly challenging school in the majority of its departments. The hardest part is getting in. That applies to many, many places with grim acceptance numbers. The Military Academies, CalTech, Cornell, Cooper Union, Berkeley, MIT, and several others: challenging at some point for most students of any major.

by Anonymousreply 13204/02/2013

Harvard is not about the classes, it's about what it can affords you to do because of the faculty and the school's connection. The point is that a driven over achiever would be self motivated enough to take advantage of the opportunities, and someone who couldn't stick to even one extracurricular activity would not.

by Anonymousreply 13304/02/2013

We're talking about two different things, R133, but there are a ton of Harvard grads who did not take the next step in life based on their actual Harvard contacts, so much as its name.

by Anonymousreply 13404/02/2013

Four acres in Shadyside is like a city block in Manhattan.

Entitled cunt.

by Anonymousreply 13504/02/2013

[quote]The point is that a driven over achiever would be self motivated enough...

So the school wants to be packed with "driven" high-energy busyass types. Yeah, real diversity there. Some of the smartest people who have the most to offer society may not have that kind of personality.

by Anonymousreply 13604/02/2013

R126 If no one has already started it, that deserves a thread of its own.

by Anonymousreply 13704/02/2013

those are the types they are getting with this style of application process, R136 (i.e. "driven" high-energy busyass types). Then it is a big surprise when society becomes more narcissistic/sociopathic...

by Anonymousreply 13804/02/2013

Either:

1) She understood the game but thought she shouldn't have to play it -- in which case she has no one to blame but herself...

or

2) She really didn't understand the game -- then she should blame her parents and her guidance counselor/her school administration...

College admissions are what they are, no one is guaranteed admissions.

by Anonymousreply 13904/02/2013

Cute.

by Anonymousreply 14004/02/2013

[quote]So the school wants to be packed with "driven" high-energy busyass types. Yeah, real diversity there.

So you mean that in order to achieve REAL diversity, Harvard and Yale should accept low-energy low-achievers?

How would they select among them? Why would one low-energy low-achiever be better for them to take than another?

by Anonymousreply 14104/02/2013

[quote]As the youngest of four daughters, I noticed long ago that my parents gave up on parenting me.

Obviously.

What a bitter pain in the ass. I guess being a straight, white, ordinary clod just isn't the automatic fast ticket to the top it used to be. The sneering tone describing the unknown motives of everyone who is deemed unworthy of their opportunities is nasty. She sounds like an entitled cunt. She should focus on marrying a productive Republican husband and just focus on popping out kids, and whining that HER taxes go to "welfare cases" and "losers".

by Anonymousreply 14204/02/2013

[quote]Wow, I was reading the comments on the WSJ thinking everyone was going to rip her a new one but everyone LOVES her! WTF??

Seriously? She's speaking on behalf of all terribly disenfranchised rich white people who can't get into the college of their choice because of all the Negr ... er, people of color and the Poors they admit. These are the same people praying to God that the Supreme Court eliminates affirmative action in the soon-to-be-decided Fisher v. UT case because of, yep, an overly entitled rich white girl who didn't get into the college of her choice because her SATs and grades weren't good enough.

Enough of that. Let's break this bitch's rant down bit by bit:

[quote]If you work at a local pizza shop and are the slowest person on the cross-country team, consider taking your business elsewhere.

Translation: actually, I only worked at a pizza shop for a couple of weeks one summer, and I was the slowest person on cross-country because I'm fat and too lazy to work out, let alone participate in extracurriculars. Everything's just so BORING! World affairs, speech-and-debate teams, blah blah blah. OMG Tiffany just broke up with Biff via FB status update! I have to Gchat with her, like, NOW!

[quote] I offer about as much diversity as a saltine cracker.

As do 70% of the students routinely accepted to every top-league university, but blaming your own failures on your "lack of diversity" is *so* much easier, ain't it?

[quote]I also probably should have started a fake charity.

Actually, you should have worked for a *real* charity instead of being an entitled, selfish cunt. Habitat for Humanity is pretty much always looking for help. Or any homeless shelter. Or the Boys & Girls Club. But, I guess you were too "busy" being a mediocre student with shitty grades to worry about participating in such endeavors.

[quote]Fun-runs, dance-a-thons, bake sales—as long as you're using someone else's misfortunes to try to propel yourself into the Ivy League, you're golden.

Actually, many of us -- myself included -- propelled ourselves into the Ivy League because we *care* about someone else's misfortunes, not because we "used" them.

[quote]Having a tiger mom helps, too. As the youngest of four daughters, I noticed long ago that my parents gave up on parenting me.

As the child of a single-parent who routinely worked 16-hour days just to pay the mortgage and put food on the table, I didn't get all that much parenting per se, either, but you know what? My mom taught me SELF-RELIANCE at an early age. Sucks that your sisters were totally entitled bitches, too, who apparently didn't lift a finger to ever help you with anything, but hey, you get to blame your parents for the rest of your life for it!

[quote]Then there was summer camp. Or at least hop to an internship.

I never attended summer camp, nor did I have a high school internship. I was too busy sacking groceries at the local supermarket, to pay for my car bills for the entire school year, for such luxuries.

[quote]To those claiming that I am bitter—you bet I am! An underachieving selfish teenager making excuses for her own failures? That too!

Look at the bright side: you already know when to call a spade a spade and call a cunt a cunt. That's half the life lessons of college right there!

by Anonymousreply 14404/02/2013

I heart R144.

by Anonymousreply 14504/02/2013

[quote]So you mean that in order to achieve REAL diversity, Harvard and Yale should accept low-energy low-achievers? How would they select among them? Why would one low-energy low-achiever be better for them to take than another?

You really are a stupid fuck. Intelligence and "achievement" are not necessarily aligned with high energy or 24/7 "activities." No one's arguing here that a mediocre SAT should qualify you for Stanford, but if you show that you are truly academically qualified, you shouldn't be penalized for not playing extracurricular game.

Colleges have no qualms about defending their desire for surface diversity like race, but they need real diversity -- of personality, thought and ideas.

by Anonymousreply 14604/02/2013

[quote]According to gawker, her sister is an editor at the WSJ. So at least she knows the value of working connections...

To be fair, she's not complaining about people with money and connections who get accepted. Only everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 14704/02/2013

No one's arguing here that a mediocre SAT should qualify you for Stanford,

[italic]She[/italic] is. She bitched she didn't get in because she didn't have "killer SATs."

by Anonymousreply 14804/02/2013

The thing is, Harvard and Yale and Stanford are all ABOUT extracurricular activities--they select for that because that's what they expect for the students to do while they're there. At Harvard the teachers realize how busy the kids are with extracurricular activities during the semester and have built into each semester a week-long "Reading Period" before exams so the kids can catch up on their readings.

If you're not interested in doing extracurricular activites but get great grades, there are plenty of great schools you can go to that cater to the studious introverted type. Swarthmore, Reed, Grinnell, CalTech: they're all great schools with international reputations, and they don't select based on extracurricular activities so much as they select based on nerdiness and good grades.

by Anonymousreply 14904/02/2013

[quote]The thing is, Harvard and Yale and Stanford are all ABOUT extracurricular activities

This is correct. The reason lies that they only take the top students.

For example. Let's say there are 100 spots open at Yale.

They ONLY take the SAT scores that are perfect or nearly so anyway.

At this point all 100 slots are filled by nearly perfect SAT scoring candidates.

So the extra stuff is what breaks the ties.

This will always be as there will always be more students than slots available.

by Anonymousreply 15004/02/2013

I find it funny that many Dataloungers dismiss her so righteously when the truth is she is you when you were 18. Many of you have been using that excuse for your whole adult lives, that you didn't get into a better college and therefore were not part of the magic circle with guaranteed riches and success. In truth there is no magic circle even for those who go to Stanford and Harvard .... unless you're a Bush or a Summers or some other kind of criminal type.

by Anonymousreply 15104/02/2013

Great comment from Gawker:

[quote]That's probably my favorite American sentiment: unbridled disdain for people who help others.

by Anonymousreply 15204/02/2013

Then they should deliberately take a certain percentage of ultra high SAT students who are NOT into the extracurricular thing. They say over and over how they value diversity, but they seem to only want one type of personality on campus. And in my experience that type has an incredibly high percentage of assholes.

by Anonymousreply 15304/02/2013

There are tons of clubs and activities for shut ins but they'd probably be happier at less social schools. Oh, and this girl is a twat.

by Anonymousreply 15404/02/2013

I know this young woman does sound entitled and stupid but remember she is young...she seems very unhappy and unable to cope with it in a responsible way. Part of me feels sorry for her.

by Anonymousreply 15504/02/2013

Oh great, we've clearly found the new 5th lead on Girls.

by Anonymousreply 15604/02/2013

Those kids working after school jobs at McDonald's better quit and go volunteer somewhere instead if they want to get into a decent college.

by Anonymousreply 15704/02/2013

Clearly Santana on Glee is her verbal role model.

by Anonymousreply 15804/03/2013

Lazy, rich JAP whose sister is an editor at the WSJ gets nationwide attention for being a whiny brat.

by Anonymousreply 15904/03/2013

[quote]I find it funny that many Dataloungers dismiss her so righteously when the truth is she is you when you were 18.

No, she's not.

I got into Harvard, Yale, and Princeton.

I went to Harvard.

by Anonymousreply 16004/03/2013

[quote]I find it funny that many Dataloungers dismiss her so righteously when the truth is she is you when you were 18.

No, I knew that although I had great SATs, my class rank was low (relatively, barely top quarter) because I was lazy. I went to a good state university and pretty much screwed around and wasted the opportunity.

For a number of reasons, I was very undisciplined. But I was self-aware enough to not blame it on others.

by Anonymousreply 16104/03/2013

How long before we get her "THE INTERNET WAS MEAN TO ME." rant?

by Anonymousreply 16204/03/2013

Oh well....nowadays it doesn't really matter where you go to college....top tier or bottom, you still won't get a job.

by Anonymousreply 16304/03/2013

On the bright side....my bitch niece got turned down at the University of Pennsylvania even though both her parents went there. She's always assumed she'd get in as a legacy. (her grades are good but her only extra curricular activities were shopping, going to the beach, and texting boys who didn't want her)

wait until she finds out I'm leaving all my money to her sweet gay brother!

by Anonymousreply 16404/03/2013

[quote]Harvard and Yale and Stanford are all ABOUT extracurricular activities--they select for that because that's what they expect for the students to do while they're there.

True, but what other means would you recommend they use for evaluating the thousands of applications they received from students in the top 3% of their graduating classes with 99.9th percentile SAT scores? If I was a Harvard admissions rep, would I give a prospect brownie points if she spent a summer, say, working with Habitat for Humanity working to build homes for the scores of New Orleans residents who remain displaces, six years later, from Katrina? HELL YES!

When I was 18, I'd been accepted to seven of the ten universities I applied to, including two Ivies and Northwestern. I didn't think I was "entitled" to anything, but the fact remained that I had a "killer" SAT score, was ranked third in my class, and had spent a month in the Soviet Union the summer after freshman year (when it *was* still the Soviet Union) visiting five republics and learning first-hand about life in a country largely cut off from the entire concept of capitalism. Those facts, coupled with my numerous regional state-level awards for debate competitions along with extemporaneous speaking and writing, were presumably what got my application noticed.

by Anonymousreply 16504/03/2013

[quote]if I was a Harvard admissions rep, would I give a prospect brownie points if she spent a summer, say, working with Habitat for Humanity working to build homes for the scores of New Orleans residents who remain displaces, six years later, from Katrina? HELL YES!

MARY! for r165

by Anonymousreply 16604/03/2013

[quote]When I was 18, I'd been accepted to seven of the ten universities I applied to, including two Ivies and Northwestern. I didn't think I was "entitled" to anything, but the fact remained that I had a "killer" SAT score, was ranked third in my class, and had spent a month in the Soviet Union the summer after freshman year (when it *was* still the Soviet Union) visiting five republics and learning first-hand about life in a country largely cut off from the entire concept of capitalism. Those facts, coupled with my numerous regional state-level awards for debate competitions along with extemporaneous speaking and writing, were presumably what got my application noticed.

r165 thinks their shit don't smell

by Anonymousreply 16704/03/2013

There is another great take down of Ms Weiss at the link below. One excellent quote from the take down put it thusly: "Maybe, Ms. Weiss, you were rejected because your piss-poor attitude of entitlement and privilege seeped out of every word you wrote on your college application."

This probably shown through during the interview process as well. No one has mentioned this fact yet: sometimes the interview is the "make or break" in a borderline application. I know it was for my at the college I attended. It moved up from the waiting list rather quickly after I had a second interview. If came across as this entitled during the interview, or the dreaded essay, she was doomed from the start.

by Anonymousreply 16804/03/2013

R168 - just an FYI: Now that most colleges and universities moved to online common applications, they get thousands of them from all over the country. It has become impractical to guarantee an interview to potential candidates and since they cannot promise an interview, they d not require one. There are very few schools that still require an interview (Georgetown comes to mind). In addition, the interview is mostly to let alumni feel connected to the school and for the candidate to have someone to ask questions and discuss the school. The interview is the very last place the admission officer will look at before making a decision. For example, two candidates are both strong and similar on every level, a good interview might be the deciding factor. But it would have to get to that level of one spot for two absolutely the same candidates.

by Anonymousreply 16904/03/2013

This is an excellent article from the NYTimes about the failing of colleges to get top students from poor areas. It's not that the colleges don't want them, they DO. It's about why those students don't even apply and what to do about it:

Most low-income students who have top test scores and grades do not even apply to the nation’s best colleges, according to a new analysis of every high school student who took the SAT in a recent year.

The pattern contributes to widening economic inequality and low levels of mobility in this country, economists say, because college graduates earn so much more on average than nongraduates do. Low-income students who excel in high school often do not graduate from the less selective colleges they attend.

Only 34 percent of high-achieving high school seniors in the bottom fourth of income distribution attended any one of the country’s 238 most selective colleges, according to the analysis, conducted by Caroline M. Hoxby of Stanford and Christopher Avery of Harvard, two longtime education researchers. Among top students in the highest income quartile, that figure was 78 percent.

The findings underscore that elite public and private colleges, despite a stated desire to recruit an economically diverse group of students, have largely failed to do so.

Many top low-income students instead attend community colleges or four-year institutions closer to their homes, the study found. The students often are unaware of the amount of financial aid available or simply do not consider a top college because they have never met someone who attended one, according to the study’s authors, other experts and high school guidance counselors.

“A lot of low-income and middle-income students have the inclination to stay local, at known colleges, which is understandable when you think about it,” said George Moran, a guidance counselor at Central Magnet High School in Bridgeport, Conn. “They didn’t have any other examples, any models — who’s ever heard of Bowdoin College?”

Whatever the reasons, the choice frequently has major consequences. The colleges that most low-income students attend have fewer resources and lower graduation rates than selective colleges, and many students who attend a local college do not graduate. Those who do graduate can miss out on the career opportunities that top colleges offer.

The new study is beginning to receive attention among scholars and college officials because it is more comprehensive than other research on college choices. The study suggests that the problems, and the opportunities, for low-income students are larger than previously thought.

“It’s pretty close to unimpeachable — they’re drawing on a national sample,” said Tom Parker, the dean of admissions at Amherst College, which has aggressively recruited poor and middle-class students in recent years. That so many high-achieving, lower-income students exist “is a very important realization,” Mr. Parker said, and he suggested that colleges should become more creative in persuading them to apply.

Top low-income students in the nation’s 15 largest metropolitan areas do often apply to selective colleges, according to the study, which was based on test scores, self-reported data, and census and other data for the high school class of 2008. But such students from smaller metropolitan areas — like Bridgeport; Memphis; Sacramento; Toledo, Ohio; and Tulsa, Okla. — and rural areas typically do not.

These students, Ms. Hoxby said, “lack exposure to people who say there is a difference among colleges.”

Elite colleges may soon face more pressure to recruit poor and middle-class students, if the Supreme Court restricts race-based affirmative action. A ruling in the case, involving the University of Texas, is expected sometime before late June.

More in the link

by Anonymousreply 17004/03/2013

Maybe she should try adapting an English accent.

When you're from Pittsburgh, dear, you have to do SOMETHING.

by Anonymousreply 17104/03/2013

Hey, Suzy -

I love your writing and your take on life! The world DOES owe smart, pretty, amazing girls like us a living!

I'd love to have you come and write for me!

Call me!

by Anonymousreply 17204/03/2013

Yup, life isn't fair. Move on.

by Anonymousreply 17304/03/2013

[quote]To be fair, she's not complaining about people with money and connections who get accepted. Only everyone else.

Perhaps she had a moment of clarity and realized that those are the people she is going to need schmooze up to in the future. No matter where she graduates, something tells me princess expects to immediately land in a corner suite with two assistants, six figures and an expense account.

by Anonymousreply 17404/03/2013

The universities asked her to stay in touch. That may be a sign she was near the top of the group who did not gain admission. They may be saying there is be a possibility the students they accepted may not fill the available spots they have allotted. They will know that in May. Students on their wait list have no doubt secured other options. She might have been reconsidered if she followed up and asked for a revaluation. They also might have said "Take a semester or two of coursework at another university and send us the transcript, we may consider you as a transfer student." No college wants to set up a student for failure. If there is any doubt of academic success considering the level of rigor at the school, they err on the cautious side and ask the student "to stay in touch." She has burned that bridge wherever she might have had one. There is no way they will admit her after reading her diatribe.

by Anonymousreply 17504/03/2013

I wrote a gnostic gospel that wasn't recognized by Princeton and, hence, I went to Santa Monica Junior College.

by Anonymousreply 17604/04/2013

You'd never get it past Elaine, R176

by Anonymousreply 17704/04/2013

Universities don't ask you to be in touch. They tell you that you are on a waiting list and rarely share how far up or down you are on that list. Those candidates who really want to get into their first choice university keep in touch by updating records with new grades, new awards and such. You apply to college in the fall, you are on a waiting list in April, you can send your final grades which may have bump your GPA and class ranking. It also shows that you are interested in the college and are willing to make an effort. It would be sad to think that any college would take this rant as a show of creativity and uniqueness, but I am sure some might.

by Anonymousreply 17804/04/2013

I liked the essay. She may be whining, but she acknowledges it. And she makes good points about the application process and how fake it is.

by Anonymousreply 17904/04/2013

She's a wench, as is anyone defending her.

by Anonymousreply 18004/04/2013

WSJ is a rag for bitter white people anyway, I'm not surprised.

by Anonymousreply 18104/04/2013

I'm curious to know which colleges she applied to. That would be very telling.

by Anonymousreply 18204/04/2013

My son is lazy and refuses to exert himself. He will not take any extracurriculars. He dropped baseball and music. He thinks he is so very smart that he doesn't need college. Fine -- I get to keep the college fund. But he's going to regret it when he's 20 and gets tired of working in seasonal construction, which is basically the only job around here for non Mexicans. He won't even be able to get a job as a short order cook, as illegals get the restaurant industry work.

It will even be tough to get an associates degree from a community college by then, since there are so many students and they keep cutting the number of classes to the bone. Hardly anyone can graduate in 2 years because there aren't enough slots in the second year classes.

My son also thinks he is entitled to all sorts of things because of rampant grade inflation and do-over tests. He's on the honor roll and he can barely write a sentence. He doesn't believe writing is of any importance anyway. He and his friends feel everything can be summed up in far less than 144 characters.

It's odd. My family is full of readers and hard workers, but my son is adopted and my parrtner has made life easy for him. Like this girl who wrote the bitter rant, my son gets nasty when he doesn't get his own way.

by Anonymousreply 18304/04/2013

R183 It was a waste of time and money for me to go to college at 18. It had nothing to do with being "lazy." I really wasn't mature enough. I wish I'd waited, but my mother was like you if you get your way.

by Anonymousreply 18404/04/2013

There's always ITT Tech, Suzy.

by Anonymousreply 18504/04/2013

I hope you went out and got a job and didn't expect to live off your parents if you weren't in college, R184. People in the US are always postponing maturity.

by Anonymousreply 18604/04/2013

[quote]If I was a Harvard admissions rep, would I give a prospect brownie points if she spent a summer, say, working with Habitat for Humanity working to build homes for the scores of New Orleans residents who remain displaces, six years later, from Katrina? HELL YES!

Of course, better to give brownie points to the person whose parents can support them all summer, rather than my oldest niece who'll be working full time during the summer to earn money for college needs and taking care of her toddler siblings in the evening while her parents are at work and night school.

Clearly she's not as dedicated as the person with wealthier parents.

by Anonymousreply 18704/04/2013

Blah blah blah R187.

Full-time work is valued by admissions people.

This girl wrote a tongue in cheek ending, "ha ha I'm only kidding, see I'm gonna waste time watching t.v." to undercut her crazed racist homophobic persona at the start.

But we aren't fooled. By her. Or by your underachieving ass.

by Anonymousreply 18804/04/2013

Thanks for proving the point, R188 and R189. Give her some damn money indeed.

Good to know DL remains so consistent; ever the home of the socially liberal and self-righteously, fiscally entitled.

by Anonymousreply 19004/04/2013

No, R186, I went to college. That's what I did. Not going to college--i.e., working--that's what I *didn't* do.

by Anonymousreply 19104/04/2013

From [italic]Today[/italic] this morning -- not [italic]quite[/italic] as insufferable in person. She was rejected from Penn, Princeton, Yale, and Vanderbilt but did get in at Indiana, Michigan, Penn State, and Wisconsin.

by Anonymousreply 19204/04/2013

She should go to Michigan. It's considered the University of Squirrel Hill (where she's from in Pittsburgh).

by Anonymousreply 19304/04/2013

R190 Translated: "I cant address my misguided claim that only wealthy people volunteer. So instead, I will lash out and get angry at those who called attention to it. The alternative would be admitting my mistake, and THAT will never happen."

by Anonymousreply 19404/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.