Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Which Magazine Should I Subscribe To?

My subscription to The New Yorker ran out a few weeks ago, and I'm not sure about whether or not I want to renew. I had the subscription for a couple of years, but overall I found it to be kind of overrated. Still, when the New Yorker hits a home run (Scientology expose) it can't be beat.

Anyway, I might need a change so I'm considering:

- New York

- The Atlantic

- GQ

- TIME

- Bloomberg Businessweek

Ultimately, I want a well-regarded magazine that is heavy on coverage of domestic news / public policy issues...which highlights one of my problems with the New Yorker: It usually only contains one good news story and then a bunch of #whitepeople problems, forgettable poetry, and lackluster reviews by critics I've grown to distrust (don't forget the typically boring piece of fiction).

by Anonymousreply 2404/02/2013

The Economist

by Anonymousreply 104/01/2013

None. It's a waste of paper.

by Anonymousreply 204/01/2013

Mother Jones

by Anonymousreply 304/01/2013

Get the Next Issue app for your iPad and read whatever/whenever you want.

by Anonymousreply 404/01/2013

The Nation

by Anonymousreply 504/01/2013

The Economist and Businessweek. Done.

If you're into science, NewScientist is fascinating. It's British and very much has an Economist vibe.

If you live in NYC and are interested in what's going on, Time Out New York has expansive arts and culture coverage.

by Anonymousreply 604/01/2013

The New Republic

by Anonymousreply 704/01/2013

R2, I fundamentally agree with you, but I travel a lot and it's always nice to read something when I can't/don't want to read off of my phone.

Thanks for the advice provided so far. I'm not a fan of the Economist (which can veer a little too far right every now and then). I'm curious about Mother Jones too, even though I forgot to add it to the list. David Corn is one of my favorite journalist and I've heard good things about the magazine as well...

Secret shame alert: Last Saturday I decided to subscribe to Vice magazine, so I feel compelled to subscribe to another magazine to serve as a counterweight (incidentally, the latest issue of the New Yorker apparently has a story on Vice Media).

by Anonymousreply 804/01/2013

I like the Economist, it's a weekly with a lot of information and it's always been my favorite neutral news periodical.

by Anonymousreply 904/01/2013

I like the Atlantic, though it veers a little towards attention-whorish on some issues.

by Anonymousreply 1004/01/2013

I feel like Time doesn't have anymore depth than say a Huffington Post article. I really like the New Yorker. I don't read EVERY article, but the ones I do are worth the price. I also get Vanity Fair but it does get repetitive.

by Anonymousreply 1104/01/2013

The Nation. And if you like to follow media coverage, The Week is great.

by Anonymousreply 1204/01/2013

Harper's. Nation doesn't have 'nuff balls.

by Anonymousreply 1304/01/2013

Nat Geo

Los Angeles Magazine

Modern Drummer

Time

Scientic American

Really wish I could find a good history magazine.

by Anonymousreply 1404/01/2013

There is no magazine on your list as good as the New Yorker.

by Anonymousreply 1604/01/2013

Brides Magazine

by Anonymousreply 1704/01/2013

Details.

by Anonymousreply 1804/01/2013

The Economist is a great news magazine, but they don't cover the US particularly well. If you want international news, only the FT covers it better.

The Atlantic is a more politics/current event-oriented version of the New Yorker. The revamped New Republic seems like a national version of New York.

I personally like the New Yorker, but it's hard to find time to read more than a story or two.

by Anonymousreply 1904/01/2013

The Nation has way more balls than Harper's, R13

by Anonymousreply 2004/02/2013

"O"

by Anonymousreply 2104/02/2013

Rolling Stone

Mother Jones

Harper's

Vanity Fair

I used to read Esquire about fifteen years ago when it had some really good articles.

OP, I'd continue with the New Yorker and add another. Or go on Amazon and see which magazines are discounted subscriptions.

by Anonymousreply 2204/02/2013

Entertainment Weekly

by Anonymousreply 2304/02/2013

Why is People Magazine so expensive? It's always hundreds more than US Weekly or In Touch.

by Anonymousreply 2404/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.