Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Caroline Kennedy to be named next Ambassador to Japan

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama is leaning toward picking Caroline Kennedy to be the next U.S. ambassador to Japan, a source familiar with the process said on Monday.

The 55-year-old daughter of former President John Kennedy would be the first female U.S. ambassador to Japan. She was one of the earliest backers of Obama in his first presidential campaign in 2008 and her endorsement was significant in helping him defeat Hillary Clinton in the Democratic presidential primary that year.

The author and lawyer serves on the board of several nonprofit organizations. She would replace the current ambassador, John Roos, the former chief executive officer of Silicon Valley-based law firm Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati.

White House spokesman Jay Carney declined to comment on whether Obama had settled on Kennedy for the post to represent the United States in Japan, one of America's top Asia allies.

"I have no personnel announcements to make," he said.

The Japan ambassadorship is an important diplomatic posting for the United States at a time when Washington is keeping a careful eye on China as well as North Korea.

by Anonymousreply 904/27/2013

I guess being uptight is a quality in her favor if she's to be immersed in Japanese culture.

by Anonymousreply 104/01/2013

I was wondering who she was...so she's Ambassador to Japan....

by Anonymousreply 204/01/2013

Ummmmmmm, I don't know uuummmmmmmm what to ummm say.

by Anonymousreply 304/01/2013

She's a star

by Anonymousreply 404/01/2013

Alright. Guess it couldn't hurt.

by Anonymousreply 504/01/2013

[quote]She was one of the earliest backers of Obama in his first presidential campaign.

He's not the first president to award a backer with an embassy post.

by Anonymousreply 604/27/2013

Gleat. Yet anothe name we cannot plonounce. At reast the rast name is easy.

by Anonymousreply 704/27/2013

I backed him before she did. Where is my ambassadorship?

by Anonymousreply 804/27/2013

[R8] Dan Rooney took it.

by Anonymousreply 904/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.