Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Republican Politician: Unlike Rob Portman I’m still against gay marriage even though my son is gay.

Conservatives are embracing Rep. Matt Salmon, R-Ariz., who will not join Sen. Rob Portman, R-Wis., in backing gay marriage just because his son is gay. “I don’t support the gay marriage,” said Salmon, who is a social conservative.

“My son is by far one of the most important people in my life. I love him more than I can say,” he told 3TV. “It doesn’t mean that I don’t have respect, it doesn’t mean that I don’t sympathize with some of the issues. It just means I haven’t evolved to that stage.”

Salmon’s son, also named Matt, told the Washington Post that he accepts his father’s position. “I love my father and realize that he can have the opinions that he has, and they might differ from mine, but that doesn’t change the way I feel about him.”

From the Post:

The younger Salmon previously led the Arizona Log Cabin Republicans, a pro-gay rights GOP group, but has left that post to concentrate on medical school. In a 2010interview with the Phoenix New Times, the 22-year-old revealed that he was dating Kent Flake, the second cousin of Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.). In the article, both young men discussed coming out to their conservative Mormon families. They have since broken up.

In a blog post last year, younger Matt Salmon wrote that he still supported his father’s candidacy for reelection, even though it might mean his father would propose legislation against gay marriage: “I fully support my father and truly think he is the best man for the job even though he may try to limit my rights through his legislation. I don’t have to agree with someone I love in order to accept them for who they are, love them and give them my support, nor do I require that they agree with me in order to show that they support me.”

by Anonymousreply 6604/13/2013

Matt Salmon Jr.: Stockholm Syndrome?

by Anonymousreply 104/01/2013

His son is stupid for saying he supports his father's position. If I had a parent that was against me having equal rights, I'd have nothing to do with him. Fuck these assholes.

by Anonymousreply 204/01/2013

Matt, Sr.: useless idiot.

Matt, Jr.: hoping for the inheritance, also useless.

by Anonymousreply 304/01/2013

Conservatives are now saying if Rep. Matt Salmon can have that viewpoint, why not Rob Portman?

by Anonymousreply 404/01/2013

Which one's the gay son? The blond on the right with the flip flops? Kind of cute.

by Anonymousreply 504/01/2013

The blond in the blue shirt R5

by Anonymousreply 604/01/2013

The only thing I can think is that he wants an inheritance. Or like the previous poster said, Stockholm Syndrome. Newsflash: Your father thinks you're less than. Pathetic. Wonder which church these assholes go to.

by Anonymousreply 704/01/2013

[quote]Wonder which church these assholes go to.

Wonder not, grasshopper, the answer lies in the original post.

by Anonymousreply 804/01/2013

Father and son deserve each other.

by Anonymousreply 904/01/2013

Republicans are such 2 faced evil SOBs!

by Anonymousreply 1004/01/2013

This bullshit reply, used by Uncle Tom gays, and hateful bigot christians who try to maintain an image of benevolence as they take away your rights:

"I don’t have to agree with someone I love in order to accept them for who they are, love them and give them my support, nor do I require that they agree with me in order to show that they support me"

BULLSHIT. We're not talking about a difference in political leanings or religion. We're talking about fuckers working to take away people's rights and make them second class citizens in Jesus name.

I'm tired of it.

by Anonymousreply 1104/01/2013

It's a complicated issue. What's the son supposed to do...renounce his father, and by extension the rest of his family?

by Anonymousreply 1204/01/2013

Yes, I don't see how you can say "I support and love my child" while simultaneously supporting the denial of his civil rights, of some CORE things that impact his future, his happiness, supporting keeping him a second class citizen. How anyone can rationalize that is messed up.

This isn't a disagreement about the benefits of broccoli, for chrissake.

by Anonymousreply 1304/01/2013

Isn't it what most gay sons of such horrid people do, R12? It's what my family forced me to do. Only I don't think of it as my renouncing them. They were the ones doing the renouncing first.

by Anonymousreply 1404/01/2013

His wife is such a Stepford wife, I've ever seen one.

by Anonymousreply 1504/01/2013

[quote]Yes, I don't see how you can say "I support and love my child" while simultaneously supporting the denial of his civil rights,...

This is surprising? Men have happily held similar views about their daughters for years. Sufferage for women in the US is still fairly recent.

It's more effective (and easier on your blood pressure) to celebrate those fathers who've learned better than castigate those who haven't.

by Anonymousreply 1604/01/2013

I hope they keep this up. They're going to drive Portman and like minded Republicans from the party.

by Anonymousreply 1704/01/2013

I agree with r16, who also makes a very good point about women and their struggles for equality.

What good does it do to stamp your feet, turn and run away? The son didn't say he supported his father, he said they disagree and he still loves him.

by Anonymousreply 1804/01/2013

[quotes] I hope they keep this up. They're going to drive Portman and like minded Republicans from the party.

But conservatives are rallying around Salmon saying this is the right way to deal with the issue of having a gay child and gay marriage.

by Anonymousreply 1904/01/2013

Marie Osmond. Mormon. Supports Marriage Equality.

by Anonymousreply 2004/01/2013

The gay son has some nips that are yearning to break free of his shirt. A liberal needs to latch on to them, and teach the boy at least one of the benefits of progressivism...

by Anonymousreply 2104/01/2013

He is going to medical school, he needs his father to pay for it.

by Anonymousreply 2204/01/2013

And with R22, we have a winner.

by Anonymousreply 2304/01/2013

I love my dead gay son!

by Anonymousreply 2404/01/2013

Ugh...why couldn't the gay son at least be attractive? I'd care more.

by Anonymousreply 2504/01/2013

R25, he's not bad for a blond.

by Anonymousreply 2604/01/2013

His nips are very perky and beg to be sucked on.

by Anonymousreply 2704/01/2013

Flaked salmon can be used in many dishes.

by Anonymousreply 2804/01/2013

They are Mormon, that should explain everything to everyone here.

by Anonymousreply 2904/01/2013

Interesting all these Rethugs with gay children, it must be killing them,ha, ha, ha. I cannot wait until one of Prick Santorum's kids come out and listen to him spin on how that happened. Probably when they started watching reruns of Doogie Howser, LOL!

by Anonymousreply 3004/01/2013

Father has no respect for his son and the son has no respect for himself.

by Anonymousreply 3104/01/2013

I'm not sure who offends me more: Someone who opposes equality even if his own child is gay or someone who opposes equality unless his own child is gay.

Both selfish pricks as far as I'm concerned.

by Anonymousreply 3204/01/2013

Just wrong on so many levels. I'm SO thankful for my family and their acceptance when I came out 33 (thirty-three) years ago at age 17.

by Anonymousreply 3304/01/2013

Ooooh! Does anyone have a contact number? What are their speaking fees???

by Anonymousreply 3404/01/2013

anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 3504/02/2013

He says he hasn't 'evolved' to the point of accepting gay marriage? Weird, he seems to be admitting that only neanderthals oppose it.

by Anonymousreply 3604/02/2013

"The younger Salmon previously led the Arizona Log Cabin Republicans"

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh...

by Anonymousreply 3704/02/2013

[quote]I haven’t evolved to that stage.

=I still need votes from the yahoos in my district. After I retire, I'll support equality.

by Anonymousreply 3804/02/2013

[quote]It just means I haven’t evolved to that stage.

Interesting phrasing (just as when Obama used it) - it implies that the speaker already knows that support of gay marriage is an evolved, i.e. superior position.

by Anonymousreply 3904/02/2013

[quote]My son is by far one of the most important people in my life. I love him more than I can say

LIAR, and I would tell that to him to his face. Not only does he not believe his son should have equal rights, he has broadcasted it and humiliated him globally.

by Anonymousreply 4004/02/2013

[quote]Ugh...why couldn't the gay son at least be attractive? I'd care more.

Are you blind, a freak, or just a stupid fuck?

by Anonymousreply 4104/02/2013

[quote]=I still need votes from the yahoos in my district.

Yeah, I think this is what's going on. And it's not about the general election, it's about being primaried with tea party fundies showing up to vote. All Republicans are scared of that now. They created the monster and now it's out of the basement and they can't control it. Funny and sad at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 4204/02/2013

Mormon turds. They'd probably kill themselves if Salt Lake City asked them too.

by Anonymousreply 4304/02/2013

There's no way the son would openly criticize his father, particularly if Dad is footing the bill for medical school. Even if that wasn't the case, Salmon Jr. probably feels he has nothing to gain by breaking with his dad.

As far as Salmon Sr. goes, this is all about parental ego and control, and love within very well defined limits if Jr. doesn't turn out quite the way you wanted. For people like Salmon Sr., their religious beliefs get top priority. And their children are probably well trained to accept that.

by Anonymousreply 4404/02/2013

r44, it's about politics and getting elected.

by Anonymousreply 4504/02/2013

At least he admitted he's not "evolved". One step away from bigotry maybe?

by Anonymousreply 4604/02/2013

According to Rachel, Salmon and his wife are leading members of the anti-gay fight in AZ. Salmon sponsored a bill prohibiting gay adoption. This is kid is very brave for coming out to his parents. What must it be like to be a gay kid raised by homophobes?

by Anonymousreply 4704/02/2013

[quote] According to Rachel

Rachel who? Rachel Ray?

by Anonymousreply 4804/02/2013

Matt Salmon [italic]fails[/italic] at being a parent.

by Anonymousreply 4904/02/2013

Rachel Maddow, R48.

by Anonymousreply 5004/02/2013

I wonder what would happen if Elton John offers to pay for Matt Jr. Medical School tuition.

The whole thing.

How fast would Matt Jr. turn against his father?

by Anonymousreply 5104/02/2013

Maddow

She covered this story last night and said that Salmon and his wife are very vocal anti-gay crusaders in AZ.

by Anonymousreply 5204/02/2013

I love my son but I hate him.

I love my father and I hate myself.

by Anonymousreply 5304/02/2013

One step at a time. First, he has to accept his son. Marriage is later. Bill, Hillary and Obama "evolved" into being pro-gay marriage, they were for civil unions. This guy needs time to come around.

by Anonymousreply 5404/02/2013

How dare you compare Hillary and Obama to Salmon? Salmon and his wife are leaders of the anti-gay movement in AZ. How extreme can you when you don't even want foster kids to live with a gay person.

I think HRC and Obama have always been pro-marriage but like everything with politics, it's about timing.

The only time that a Republican "comes around" is when it personally affects them. Screw everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 5504/02/2013

They say the farmed salmon are full of sea lice.

by Anonymousreply 5604/02/2013

"it doesn’t mean that I don’t sympathize with some of the issues. It just means I haven’t evolved to that stage.”

Well, what's stopping him?

by Anonymousreply 5704/02/2013

"Rob Portman, R-Wisconsin"

You got it wrong, Salon. Rob Portman represents Ohio.

Sen. Ron Johnson is from Wisconsin.

by Anonymousreply 5804/02/2013

R54 = delusional Cabbie.

by Anonymousreply 5904/02/2013

I thought religious conservatives didn't believe in evolution.

Which means Senior and Junior are admitting gay marriage will NEVER be accepted in the Family Salmonidae.

by Anonymousreply 6004/02/2013

>>>>I’m still against gay marriage even though my son is gay.

I want people to stop saying things like this. Tell the truth. What he really means is that he's against equal rights for gay people. They aren't against gay marriage. They are against everyone having the same rights

We all know what he would have thought about white people marrying a black person 75 yrs ago too

by Anonymousreply 6104/02/2013

[quote]Ugh...why couldn't the gay son at least be attractive? I'd care more.

You're insane, that guy is fucking hot.

by Anonymousreply 6204/07/2013

Matt Salmon, the son, is a gay Rethuglicunt (like Ken Mehlman) who gave us 8 years of Bush and Cheney-Halliburton.

by Anonymousreply 6304/07/2013

The kid was put in gay conversion therapy...sounds somewhat fucked in the head now thanks to his parents.

by Anonymousreply 6404/10/2013

Naturally

by Anonymousreply 6504/10/2013

The younger Matt Salmon talks to Anderson Cooper.

Video below

by Anonymousreply 6604/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!