Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Blue Valentine

Wrecked me. Devastatingly good. How did Gosling not even get nominated for that performance?

by Anonymousreply 2404/03/2013

I agree that it's a very fine film, but perhaps too intensely dramatic for today's taste. It would have been considered a much more important movie in the late 60s or 70s.

by Anonymousreply 104/01/2013

It would've been better had the male protagonist been played by Heath Ledger.

by Anonymousreply 204/01/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 304/01/2013

I guess it's all about perspective. I've been in a fucked up relationship that was also absolutely overflowing with intense love. Our fights were like their fights. Our connection was like their connection. It just hit really close to home for me. I guess the movie might seem a bit melodramatic, but aren't the highlights (or lowlights) of life often just that? Dramatically charged?

by Anonymousreply 404/01/2013

Beautiful film with great performances.

by Anonymousreply 504/01/2013

I was disappointed that they introduced the fact that Mike Vogel was a wrestler and yet when the time came he and Ryan Gosling didn't wrestle at all. BOO.

by Anonymousreply 604/01/2013

For some reason the scene with Williams eating a donut while she's driving stayed with me. Its like 10 seconds but it seemed so real. I think we're not used to seeing actors actually eat in movies.

by Anonymousreply 704/01/2013

Usually because if they eat, they have to eat on each take. Michelle gained weight for the movie, so maybe she wanted to eat on every take.

by Anonymousreply 804/01/2013

It's a depressing movie. On the one hand, I can see why Michelle's character fell out of love with her immature husband. He was childish and had no ambition. Plus, he lost his looks. But she was also a nagging, nitpicking, very dismissive bitch. She was no fun to be around anymore.

by Anonymousreply 904/01/2013

It's funny, but this is the movie that made me STOP like Gosling. He's all poses and fake voices and "look at me I'm all soulful and deep." He's all affect. I won't see any of his movies after I saw this.

by Anonymousreply 1004/01/2013

I thought the film was gimmicky, and Gosling was gimmicky, too.

by Anonymousreply 1104/01/2013

Wow, r10, r11. I didn't think that at all. I was so moved by this two people who simply never had a chance. If you hated Gosling's performance, what is a performance you liked in a recent film?

by Anonymousreply 1204/01/2013

r12. r10 here. It's ard to say which performance I liked in a recent film. For me the point is, i shouldn't even notice a performance. I shouldn't be aware of the gimmicks and the technique; it should be natural. Gosling is all gimmick and technique. He's all artifice, and that I do notice.

by Anonymousreply 1304/02/2013

I thought Williams and Gosling were both very natural in their roles. I was amazed that Gosling wasn't nominated by the Academy along with Williams.

To me, Gosling disappeared into the role of Dean just as much as he disappeared into the role of the crack-addicted middle-school teacher in "Half Nelson" (his only Best Actor Academy Award nomination so far).

I guess what some saw as gimmicks in the movie, I saw as thoughtful interweaving of past and present designed to reveal clues to the mystery of how the marriage fell apart. I've been through the harrowing breakup of a marriage, and "Blue Valentine" felt very realistic to me.

by Anonymousreply 1404/02/2013

It's one of those brilliant films that I only want to see once.

by Anonymousreply 1504/02/2013

I loved this movie.

Depressing as it was I felt it was very well acted.

If some of the dialogue seems weak it's because much of their fights were improvised. To me they sounded very real. When we fight with our partners we sometimes don't have very well thought out lines. Unless we planned the fight in advance.

by Anonymousreply 1604/02/2013

I agree with R10. You could see him acting. Williams seemed absolutely natural, like a real person. Gosling was visibly doing "blue collar guy".

by Anonymousreply 1704/02/2013

I so loved this movie. I recommend Derek Cianfrance's new movie "The Place Beyond the Pines" for those who loved BV. It has Gosling again, this time with Bradley Cooper, Dane DeHaan, Ray Liotta, and others. I saw it last week and it was very powerful.

by Anonymousreply 1804/02/2013

Ironically, R17, Gosling is himself very much from a blue-collar background in a blue-collar town. People have speculated that he first affected that "Brando" accent because his native accent was so specific to a certain class and region (working-class Southern Ontario). Now he says he's been doing the phony accent so long that it's not phony anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1904/03/2013

I didn't really buy the characters' young love relationship, though it was acted decently enough.

I totally bought the "present day" relationship. Williams really carried the emotion-evoking realism, and that's what makes me think of it as a good movie. I could barely recognize the actress I hated so much from the Dawson's Creek pilot.

But the Blue Valentine story itself? Meh.

by Anonymousreply 2004/03/2013

Great movie, the only problem I had with it was that the female character was more unsympathetic than the male character.

Great acting by Michelle Williams and Ryan Gosling. She was amazing in My Week with Marilyn as well. Gosling is very hit and miss as an actor. He was quite good in Drive though, which was an amazing movie, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 2104/03/2013

R20, why didn't you like Micjhelle Williams in the Dawson's Creek pilot?

She stayed with that show till the end. I wonder if she enjoyed it or was itching to start her movie career.

by Anonymousreply 2204/03/2013

I thought Ryan's character was a lot less sympathetic than Michelle's.

by Anonymousreply 2304/03/2013

I fell asleep during it. When I woke up I had forgotten I was even watching it. That says it all.

by Anonymousreply 2404/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.